
JEFF OSBORN: Hello from Vietnam. Sorry if I'm a little unclear. I'm having a hard time getting used to the time zone. I keep falling asleep today. We will move to the roll call. And here we are. Cogent, Paul or Brad? No, I want to know. John Augenstein?

JOHN AUGENSTEIN: Yes.

JEFF OSBORN: And Jill? I'm sorry, we'll have to change that on the attendance, Joseph. Thank you. Matt?

MATT LARSON: Matt Larson's here.

JEFF OSBORN: Matt's here. Terry Manderson? No, Terry. Jeff, I'm here. Rob? Carolina? No, Rob. From NASA. Jose? Brad? Jose? Brad? No. Netnod? Lars? I saw the name. Lars? You there? Liman?

WES HARDAKER: He was. I think he just dropped out, which probably means he had audio issues. I'd check with him again.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

JEFF OSBORN: We'll do that. And Patrick, I did not see. Hans Petter or Paul? No. And UMD, Karl?

PAUL VIXIE: Paul is here.

JEFF OSBORN: Paul is here. I'm sorry. Thanks, Paul.

PAUL VIXIE: No, not Paul Vixie. Wrong Paul.

JEFF OSBORN: But Paul is here where I missed him on the first pass. I'm sorry. Karl or Gerry we're looking for.

KARL REUSS: Yeah, Karl's here.

JEFF OSBORN: Hi, Carl. And Gerry?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: He hangs out with Jun Murai for these calls.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. We've got Wes. We just heard Suzanne?

WES HARDAKER: I don't think she's here today.

JEFF OSBORN: I was just sitting with Suzanne. I think she's having dinner in Da Nang tonight. Howard? Ken?

KEN RENARD: Ken is here.

JEFF OSBORN: Ken is here in spite of the bad Wi-Fi. Brad?

BRAD VERD: Yes, sir.

JEFF OSBORN: Brad is here. And I bet Hiro is also at that dinner here tonight. Hiro? Hiro's in Da Nang tonight and I'm suspecting June is not here. All right. Pretty bare quorum. Wes is still here. Ken is still here. Daniel?

DANIEL MIGAULT: I am here.

JEFF OSBORN: You are here. Thanks, Daniel. And Russ?

RUSS MUNDY: Hi. Russ is here.

JEFF OSBORN: Hey, Russ. James?

JAMES MITCHELL: James is here.

JEFF OSBORN: James is here. And Duane?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here.

JEFF OSBORN: Duane is here. Excellent.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: This is Liman back here. Zoom crashed on me exactly as I was supposed to report my name, but I'm here.

JEFF OSBORN: It is. Thanks, Leman. All right. That is attendance and back to the agenda. So Ozan for the draft minutes from last meeting. Agenda review, is anything missing there. We have a short of normal agenda. Nothing extraordinary. Any additions to the agenda proposed? If not Ozan, the draft minutes.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Jeff. I circulated draft minutes from the August meeting a few weeks ago. We have not received any requests for revisions or any questions about the draft minutes. And it's up for an RSSAC vote today. So I will stop here to see if there's any discussion about the draft minutes from August meeting.

JEFF OSBORN: Any comments? So I believe we need to take a vote on those. Are there any opposed to accepting them? Any abstentions? The minutes are accepted. Sorry, I'm really in sleep deprived mode here. So on the membership update, Ozan, do you want to cover that? We've stepped back into tracking again after taking off for COVID.

OZAN SAHIN: We're happy to do that, Jeff. So the RSSAC caucus membership committee in its most recent meeting discussed what to do with the 21 RSSAC caucus members who were found to be inactive based on how the RSSAC caucus committee defines inactivity. And given the recent discussions on allowing any interested individuals to subscribe to our

RSSAC caucus mailing list, the caucus membership committee is willing to send out notices reaching out to these inactive caucus members.

Reminding these caucus members that they have recently -- the committee recently conducted an activity study and then they were found to be inactive, giving them six months to show some activity and also informing them that subscribing to the mailing is now possible without having to be an RSSAC caucus member. So the caucus membership committee wanted to share that with RSSAC before sending out these notices to inactive caucus members and see if there are any questions about that.

JEFF OSBORN:

The concept of having a new mailing list only membership was one that I wanted to make sure people didn't have a problem with. Fair enough. I think there's some people are going to be having on the mailing list without being a member. Paul, I'm sorry, did you have something?

PAUL VIXIE:

I think that is how some of us play this game anyway, so making it explicit can be no harm.

JEFF OSBORN:

Good, it was already public. It's just it's a matter of whether we push rather than make you pull. So I think it's an inclusive thing and it does make sense. So we just wanted to run it by the group before we made a unilateral decision out of the committee. Next, we had the annual survey. Everybody should have gotten that recently and we will be

compiling the results when we get all of those. Was there a deadline on that? I know I got that one, Ozan.

OZAN SAHIN:

Yes, thank you, Jeff. I sent out the survey about a week ago, I think eight days ago, and the deadline is 18th of September. So you have just less than two weeks to respond to the survey if you haven't done so. And it is possible that this email about survey could go to your spam box. So please check and if you haven't received it in your -- if you didn't see it in your mailbox, please let me know so that I can resend.

JEFF OSBORN:

Good, and we'll look forward to the results of those. The questions were kept nearly identical over time so we're looking forward to seeing longitudinally how the data looks. And next, I believe Ozan on the CSC.

OZAN SAHIN:

Yes, so the RSSAC appointed Ken Renard about a year ago to the customer standing committee for a two-year term. And Ken is about to complete his first year in this in this two-year appointment. A couple of months ago, as an outcome of the review of the customer standing committee, it was recommended that the groups that are appointing liaisons to the CSC also appoint an alternate to the group. And to align the terms, the two-year terms of the representatives, it was recommended that this first alternate appointment would be for a one-year term. And then the terms of the representative and the alternate would align after that after next year. So the question is whether RSSAC

would like to make an alternate appointment to the CSC. And if there's any volunteer to do that, and I will also turn to Ken to see if he would like to add anything.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks, Ozan. The reason for the alternates, especially for the voting members is that there's a very small group of voting members and achieving quorum is very difficult. The role of an alternate for a liaison, which is a non-voting member, is really only to fill in when the primary cannot be in attendance. So the role of the alternate should be very small. And the CSC meetings are usually pretty quick and informative, but they are sometimes at odd hours.

JEFF OSBORN:

Ken, can you indulge my ignorance and fill us in on exactly what the customer standing committee does?

KEN RENARD:

The CSC is kind of a review panel for IANA and its functions. So they look over the monthly criteria, the service level agreements, and usually very boring. They usually meet a 100% of their metrics. So that's what the quick part of the meeting. And it's more about the community keeping an eye on IANA and RSSAC having a role as sort of the recipient of the zone from IANA.

JEFF OSBORN:

You're selling it pretty hard. Do we have a deadline for that, Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes, we do, Jeff. So if RSSAC would like to make an alternate appointment, the deadline is end of September.

JEFF OSBORN: So this is our last chance in a meeting to do that. Is anybody interested in standings and alternate Ken in that? We can leave that open and see if in the next couple of weeks, either somebody comes up or Ken, maybe you can go out and stir the bushes and see whether you can find someone.

KEN RENARD: Liman won't bite.

JEFF OSBORN: I'm sure you can find someone. Ozan, you have your hand up.

OZAN SAHIN: Jeff, if you wish, I can send a note on this topic. I can sort of circulate a note on the mailing list on this topic, see if there's anyone who is not in attendance to fulfill this alternate role, and maybe give a week for RSSAC members to consider this. And then, if there's no volunteers, then we can go ahead and let the requesting party know.

JEFF OSBORN: We've got a show of hands now. Russ?

RUSS MUNDY: Question I have, is this one of the representations that requires the person or alternate be an appointed member of a RSO, or is this something the caucus or a liaison can fill?

JEFF OSBORN: Good question. Ozan, do you know that?

OZAN SAHIN: I don't have the exact answer. I'll just consult 000. My recollection is that it is required that this person is coming from an RSO, but I'll double check.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. Liman?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Thanks, Liman here. I would actually like to try to help to sell this a bit because it is actually a very good way to make acquaintances and contacts in other parts of the ICANN community. You get to work with people from the other stakeholder groups, and that's been really rewarding and useful to me in my line of work in the ICANN community. So this is not a bad thing. And it's really what Ken says, it's not heavy. This is a small committee with a very focused remit, and the processes are very smooth. So it's a bit social. It works just well. So don't hesitate. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you, Liman. I think we'll look forward to Ozan sending out his note and see if we can't socialize that additionally to the people who aren't here now. Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: So I'll just quickly check 000 to respond to the question from Russ, and it says the RSSAC must elect the outgoing RSSAC liaison to the CSC according to the outgoing RSSAC liaison selection procedure from the members of the RSSAC. So RSSAC members would qualify.

JEFF OSBORN: So that does not include the liaisons, if that's the case. Liman, your hand still up?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: No, it's in a new hand actually. And hearing Ozan, it sounds like we actually have a procedure to follow there. So if you send out that message, make sure that's in line with the procedure. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: All right. Fair enough then. That's in hand. Moving on to the ICANN78 planning and the draft schedule attached.

OZAN SAHIN:

Sure. So ICANN78 is taking place from 21st of October through 26th in Hamburg, Germany. And we have already seen a block schedule from ICANN org. That's a six-day meeting from Saturday through Thursday. And working with the RSSAC admin committee, we have identified a few RSSAC sessions to be held during this meeting. The schedule that you are seeing now is in draft mode. The internal session submission request period started yesterday, and it will last I think through the end of next week. I will check the other sessions that will be held during ICANN78 to avoid any conflicts with the sessions that RSSAC could be interested and then move the proposed RSSAC sessions there. So just to go over the proposed RSSAC sessions to be held at ICANN78. On Saturday, Sunday, especially on Sunday, we are expecting habit work sessions to take place.

And some of you may recall that we had this habit work sessions. These are technical sessions for any audience, not necessarily technical audience during ICANN meetings, and RSSAC historically participated in habit work sessions to present its tutorial. So depending on when RSSAC could conduct this habit work sessions on Sunday, we will need to move some of the RSSAC sessions probably to Tuesday or Thursday. And there's a session suggested for RSSAC to have with the government engagement team. If you recall one year ago in Kuala Lumpur, the RSSAC had a similar session with ICANN government engagement team with Elena Plexida and Jamie Hedlund.

Another potential session that RSSAC would have is a joint session with the SSAC, as customary. And we are also looking to have an RSSAC caucus meeting at ICANN78. And the RSSAC admin committee also discussed potentially having RSSAC work sessions, one on the Security

Incident Reporting Work Party. The other one, which will, I think, be further discussed during the RSS messaging session; on this coming Thursday, is an RSS messaging session, which could be a closed one. You also see some high interest sessions on the schedule, like the welcome ceremony. ICANN78 also represents the 25th anniversary of ICANN and some of the supporting organizations and advisory committees, including RSSAC. So there will be some celebratory sessions related to that.

And then on Monday, there's also a Q&A session with the ICANN org executive team. And I think I skipped the potential RSSAC dinner on Saturday night. So there's also that. And among the other RSSAC sessions that the RSSAC admin team is proposing, there's an RSSAC meeting that would potentially replace the RSSAC November meeting and then a joint meeting with the ICANN board.

So again, I will see if there are any updates on the schedule, and I will probably circulate an updated version next week, sometime next week, so that you have it. And also, you can see that RSS GWG sessions are currently being planned for Wednesday. So we are planning for RSS GWG sessions that day. So I'll stop here to see if there's any discussion on the schedule, if there are any sessions that you'd like to see and that the RSSAC admin team couldn't think of. So any comments are welcome.

JEFF OSBORN: I'm sure you just misspoke, Ozan, but I think you said Saturday night for the RSSAC dinner and that would be Sunday night. So nobody needs to get there a day early.

OZAN SAHIN: That is correct. Sorry, my bad.

JEFF OSBORN: No, worries. Thanks. Liman?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Liman here. I see little reason to remind you of any other sessions because this seems a very, very full week. But this looks good. I don't have any other things to suggest. Thanks.

KEN RENARD: I'll point out that Sunday, Block 5 is open for RSSAC. That's the CSC meeting. So there's going to be a lot of fun there. Please come join us and alternate.

JEFF OSBORN: There you go. You can sell this, Ken. I know you can. Does anybody have any issues with the agenda then, Liman? I'm assuming, is that an old hand?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Old hand, sorry.

JEFF OSBORN: Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: Great, thank you. One thing we haven't discussed yet is the topics for the joint meeting with the ICANN board. So there were different ways in how ICANN board handled the preparation for these joint meetings. We saw in the past there was a request for all supporting organizations and advisory committees to share their topics of discussion or questions ahead of time. And then RSSAC sometimes preferred having preparatory sessions before this joint meeting with the ICANN board to prepare for these sessions. I can leave the floor to Wes to talk about it more. But as far as I know, no communication has been made with respect to how ICANN board will approach these sessions at ICANN78. And we are expecting this to come out soon. And I will let as soon as we hear about that.

WES HARDAKER: I don't think that we have anything, Ozan. We don't have any specific plans as of yet. My guess is we'll probably discuss it this weekend at the ICANN board workshop.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, Wes. Is that it for the board then, Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: I think that's it for the board and for ICANN78 planning. One thing I could add is, let me go ahead and find the link to ICANN78 webpage. So if you'd like to go ahead and register for the meeting, you could do that. Registration is open. But unless there are any questions, I think I'm done with the discussions about ICANN78 planning.

JEFF OSBORN: Excellent. Moving on to work items then, Ken, if your connection is still working, you want to update us on the SIR work party?

KEN RENARD: Sure. The Security Incident Reporting SIR work party met last week and discussions were sort of all over the Statement of Work, not getting too deep or decisive on any one thing. But I think that's fine once we'll get to drill down, I think, in the near term. Andrew set up a document for us to start putting some text in. I think one of the parts would be the background and motivation of the work at this work party. And so, Andrew, I don't know if I don't have the ability to put that link into the chat right now, but if folks want to take a look at that and if anything you'd like to comment on, write, please feel free. I'm going to do some writing here shortly on there as well. I believe next week, next Monday will be the next meeting. And you'll see, I'm sure, a reminder from Moson about that. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Excellent. Thanks, Ken. Danielle, do we get to hear about triple zero review?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Hello, hello. So we met two weeks ago to have the first meeting to discuss the version eight of the operational procedures. Some of the things that we discussed during that meeting was adding an observer type of participants so that anyone can join and monitor the RSSAC caucus mailing list. I've gone ahead and I've just recently updated some additional text to section 2.4 to address the outcomes of that discussion and I'll be sending a note to the RSSAC shortly after this meeting.

One of the other things we discussed in another action item I had was with regards to elections. One of the things that was implemented in V7 was rank choice voting but the current 000 does not account for selecting more than one position. I had an action item to research multi-winner rank choice voting procedures and I've also completed that at the end of last week and I'll also send out a note on that.

There's something essentially called proportional rank choice voting that allows allocation of surplus votes once people cross a certain threshold. So I'll put that out on the RSSAC mailing list to see what people think. One thing we also discussed is adding a reference to the supported travelers funding guidelines and I've added that and then you can see that we've got two more things left in the annual review list to discuss. Adding a primary and alternate distinction for the liaison to the CSG and then a discussion about the liaison to the NomCom.

Ozan, I believe we have our next call scheduled. It's Wednesday, September 13th at 17:00 UTC. Was there some question about Jeff's

availability and if we would be able to make that happen next week or did we confirm that that's the official time?

JEFF OSBORN: I'll be in Japan next week. I don't recall the schedule of that.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I think we weren't sure if you wanted to be on the next call Jeff or if it's fine to proceed while you're traveling.

JEFF OSBORN: I think you guys are doing great without me Danielle. Thanks.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: All right and so I'll see those of you on the call next week.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you very much and back to the agenda. Chair reports, I am certain that the chair and the vice chair can report that we are tired and jet lagged. Ken, do you have anything to add to that?

KEN RENARD: Yeah, the one thing that we discussed earlier today about the messaging meeting that is scheduled for this Thursday. I think it's this same time slot two days from now. Do we want to postpone that as well?

JEFF OSBORN: I'd be in favor of that.

KEN RENARD: Was anybody planning on actively looking forward to joining that call?

JEFF OSBORN: [CROSSTALK] Thanks, Ken.

KEN RENARD: Ozan, I think we'll send you something to see if you can postpone that. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Great. Wes, anything from the Board?

WES HARDAKER: The ICANN Board as I mentioned earlier is having a workshop this weekend so I'm on a plane tomorrow to get there and hence the reason I'm not jet lagged in with you guys.

JEFF OSBORN: I'd rather do the technical stuff. The next round of gTLDs of course continues to be a hot topic and as is preparing for ICANN78 in Hamburg and I hope to see many of you there. One thing to note is the ccNSO has approved a policy recommendation about decisions related to the

delegation transfer revocation and retirement of ccTLDs. This is sort of on its way toward the board. There's public comment periods and stuff too if I have all the timing right. The reason I'm bringing this up today is that it has been pointed out in many blogs and other people's analysis that this brings .su which is the Soviet Union that ccTLD into question about its potential retirement.

So you may hear, I'll come to that in a minute, I have not actually read the full proposed plan yet but it's worth noting that in other people's opinions the policy that's being developed has triggering events for times in the future, sometime past adoption and therefore it may or may not be a triggering event for the dissolution of .su which has been around for a long time. I'll remind you that the Soviet Union was officially dissolved in 1999. This has been a long time coming. It has nothing to do with the current political events and in fact even registrations under the .su ccTLD are climbing still.

I bring all of this up because route operators typically abstain from policy relating to contents of the route zone. We just serve the zone but you may be asked your opinion about all of this and thus I'm bringing it to you just so that you're not surprised by some question that comes at you sideways and you can have your we just serve the route from IANA hat ready as a response and then so there's lots of I'm sure political questions that will come up both publicly and privately in all these various venues.

It is not a approved policy yet and it's totally unclear what will happen about ccTLDs or may or may not would have been added removed or whatever because as I said the policy in other people's opinions really

gets to the point of after publication this policy goes into effect and it's not necessarily supposed to apply to past stuff but that is other people's opinions. So any questions on anything for the board related material? Liman.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Yes, Liman here. I will do all I can to avoid having an opinion on this, at least officially, but...

JEFF OSBORN: You notice I watch that line really, really carefully.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: It's a bleeding edge, so to speak. No, never mind. No, I was actually looking for is there a compiled set of information around this where one can go and poke around and educate oneself.

JEFF OSBORN: So good question. I can drop a document to a board report that was given. So the correspondence page, of course, has information. There is a note to the GAC, for example, from the Board in August 24, which is where a lot of this is snowballing from. This is only weeks ago to the GAC saying that we want their opinion on said topic. So this is a reasonable place to start. I dropped it into it, but there's of course links to other things as well there. As I said, the board does not have an opinion yet. We have not discussed this yet. This is just sort of coming toward resolution at some point in the future. So you can start from

there and I can try and get some other things and send it to the RSSAC list too once I consolidate that for myself.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Perfect. Thank you very much.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, guys. Paul?

PAUL VIXIE: So the prompt is for questions. I don't have a question, but I do just want to say I have a .su domain. I like it. And by using it, I've determined that you cannot send mail to the US Department of Defense if any of the name servers for the from domain ends in .su. So the world does not believe that the Soviet Union is gone. So please proceed.

WES HARDAKER: As I said, lots of politics about that. One of the interesting things about ccTLDs is that when they are given out, the government responsible for controlling the domain is actually given a lot of leeway, but there has to be an active government that is related to it. And so one of the questions is, is there an active government that is related to it? Because the Soviet Union is technically officially dissolved, at least in the eyes of one half of the world. So that will come into consideration, I think, as this debate wears on. Note that, as I said, this has nothing to do with the current political battles and wars that are going on. This retirement

policy has been worked on for like five years, which is long before the start of more recent events, just as an info.

JEFF OSBORN: The Soviet Union gone, but not forgotten.

WES HARDAKER: Yeah.

JEFF OSBORN: Got it. All right. Thanks, Wes. Ken, more from the CSC?

KEN RENARD: The CSC, their monthly report, this one was for July. It's almost always very boring. They meet 100% of their service level agreements. It got exciting this month because one test was failed, unfortunately, due to a TLD name server timing out. So it really wasn't any fault of IANA's, but the performance of IANA still is way above the threshold set and pretty much another boring month. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: I think that's a comfort to all of us. The hero, I know, is at the dinner here in Da Nang. So, Daniel, on the RSSAC. Daniel.

DANIEL MIGAULT: Can you hear me?

JEFF OSBORN: Yes. You're very quiet, but yes.

DANIEL MIGAULT: No, I have nothing to say. And same for the IAB.

JEFF OSBORN: Fair enough. Thank you very much. Russ, SSAC.

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you, Jeff. A couple of quick things. One, the upcoming ICANN meeting, as Ozan mentioned, we have a joint meeting with RSSAC and SSAC. And if anyone has any additional items beyond what we normally cover, which is a mutual review of each of the advisory committee's current and ongoing activities, plus what is any special interest items that anyone in either committee wants to discuss. So if you have any of those, please let myself or Ozan or Andrew know, and we'll be sure to get them on the agenda.

And the other item this morning is the, of course, there's the DNSSEC and security workshop, and we have a few slots yet. So if anyone is interested in doing any presentation, please let us know. There's a call for participation out, but if you haven't seen it, just drop me a note and I'll let where to send it to get to the program committee. Thanks. That's it.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, Russ. Always look forward to that meeting of the joint session. James, anything from IANA?

JAMES MITCHELL: Hi, everyone. The design team for the root zone algorithm rollover study is sort of wrapping up some of their work and expect to sort of conclude this month. So that's a report that will be published for public comment and should be in September this month sometime, so 14th of the month. I'm not sure if RSSAC want to put a comment together on that, but I'll forward that to the list once it is made public. That's all for me.

JEFF OSBORN: All right. Thank you, James. Duane.

DUANE WESSELS: The root zone maintainer. Thanks, Jeff. So a reminder that next week, a week and a day from today, on September 13th, Zone MD will be added to the root zone that we push out. That will be the unvalidable version of the Zone MD record, but just a reminder that, that is happening next week. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Excellent. Thank you, Duane. And although it says all, I'm going to put this on Brad, anything from the GWG?

BRAD VERD: No, I don't think there's anything to share with the group here other than work continues and we're making progress.

JEFF OSBORN: Excellent. As always, good work on that, Brad. Any other business? I can't think of anything other than the next meeting in a month. Anyone else? Going, going, gone. Ozan, anything else before we adjourn and give back some time?

OZAN SAHIN: No, I think that's it. Nothing else. Thank you, Jeff.

JEFF OSBORN: Well, I appreciate it, everyone. Thank you for coming and we will see you again soon. Take care.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]