

---

OZAN SAHIN: Welcome, everyone, to the RSSAC monthly meeting on the 6<sup>th</sup> of February 2024 at 15:00 UTC. Over to you, Ken, to chair the meeting.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Ozan. I'll be playing the role of vice of Jeff for today. He said, "Jury duty and just getting out," so I'll gladly cover for this. So with that, we'll call the meeting to order and we can do the roll call. Bring that up.

All right. From Cogent. All right, DISA. I thought I saw Peter online. Is John Augenstein here? Okay. From ICANN?

MATT LARSON: Matt's here.

KEN RENARD: All right. And from ISC?

JEFF OSBORN: Jeff's here.

ROB CAROLINA: Rob's here.

KEN RENARD: All right, and from NASA? Okay. From Netnod?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Yes. Liman is here. Patrick is not.

KEN RENARD: Thank you. From RIPE NCC? All right. Maryland?

KARL REUSS: Karl is here.

KEN RENARD: Hi, Karl. USC ISI?

WES HARDAKER: Wes and Suzanne are both here.

KEN RENARD: From ARL, I'm here, and Howard. All right, Howard was busy doing some—there he is. Hi, Howard. Verisign? All right. And WIDE.

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro is here.

KEN RENARD: Hello, Hero. All right, we have Wes, me, Daniel. Daniel, we hear you but it's very tough to hear you. I think you have an open mic. All right. Thank you, Daniel. Russ?

---

RUSS MUNDY: Hi there. Hi all. I'm here.

KEN RENARD: All right. James?

JAMES MITCHELL: Hi all. James here.

KEN RENARD: Greetings. And Duane?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here.

KEN RENARD: All right. I see we have Erum as well. Welcome, Erum. All right. I saw Danielle Rutherford. We have Ozan, obviously. Is Steve on the call?

STEVE SHENG: I'm here.

KEN RENARD: Hey, Steve. Great. We do have some new folks here. Ozan, help me here, but we have a new RSSAC representative from DISA, Peter Martin. Welcome, Peter.

---

OZAN SAHIN: Right.

KEN RENARD: What about NASA? Oh, there's Brad.

OZAN SAHIN: We have Brad on the call.

KEN RENARD: Welcome, Brad. Are there updates to personnel in RSSAC from NASA, Brad?

BRAD HARRIS: Good morning. No updates from NASA.

KEN RENARD: All right. Thanks. Okay, with that we can go take a quick look at the agenda, it was circulated. Does anybody have any discussion, comments, or additions to the agenda? Looking for hands, I don't see any. Okay. With that, we will go with this agenda.

And as far as administration, we'll start off with those on for the draft minutes for the 16<sup>th</sup> January meeting.

---

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Ken. Hello, everyone. I circulated the draft minutes from RSSAC January meeting about two weeks ago. We did not have any requests for revisions or any questions about draft minutes. This is a vote item for today. If you have any comments on draft minutes, I'll stop here to see if you have any. If not, over back to you, Ken, for the vote.

KEN RENARD: Thanks. If there are no comments or suggestions or edits to the minutes from the 16<sup>th</sup> of January meeting, is there anybody that is opposed to accepting those minutes? Anybody abstaining from the vote to approve the minutes? Okay. With that, we approve the minutes. Thanks.

The Caucus Membership Committee had a couple of candidates we talked about last time. We went back and we made a recommendation for Oscar to be admitted to RSSAC Caucus. Do you have the SOI up there? So the Membership Committee is recommending Oscar for membership in the Caucus. Is there any discussion or comments felt about that before we vote on accepting Oscar into the Caucus? All right, seeing none, we can go ahead with a vote for this item. Is there anybody opposed to accepting Oscar into the RSSAC Caucus? Anybody abstaining from vote? All right. With that, we will welcome Oscar to the RSSAC Caucus.

There was another application for the Caucus that didn't quite have much technical experience. We recommended that that person join as an observer.

The next item is RSSAC travel support. Over to you, Ozan.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Ken. So the travel support for ICANN80. Travel is open now. The Travel Support Request period is open now. I circulated an e-mail on the RSSAC mailing list regarding that. If you are requesting travel support for ICANN80, which will be held in Kigali, Rwanda in June 2024, please complete the form that I circulated on the mailing list. I'll put the link to the form again in the chat for those who have missed it. Deadline is tomorrow. And I'll also send an e-mail to RSSAC mailing list to remind of this deadline. Thank you.

KEN RENARD: All right. Thanks, Ozan. Any questions about the travel support for ICANN80 this summer? Go ahead and apply. All right, with that, we can move on to Item five in the agenda, ICANN Planning. Back to Ozan.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Ken. Let me first drop the link in the chat for 80 travel support. Thanks. So it's in the chat now. Moving on to ICANN79 planning. I shared the draft RSSAC schedule for ICANN79 in San Juan, Puerto Rico in the previous meeting. Let's briefly go over the schedule again. On Day Zero, Friday, there's a session for the RSSAC leadership, the chair and the vice chair. So that's happening after 5:30 pm local time. We don't have any RSSAC sessions on Day 1, which is Saturday.

On Sunday, the RSSAC sessions will start with Closed RSSAC Work session on RSS messaging. This is currently the only closed session that RSSAC has for ICANN79. Related to that, the joint meeting with the SSAC

---

on Sunday morning. For the first time, it will be a public session during ICANN public meetings. So RSSAC and SSAC will try that as a public session. And in the afternoon, there will be the Root Server System Tutorial, How It Works session. The second session in the Sunday afternoon is a prep session for the joint meeting with the ICANN Board. So we have that on the schedule. And the final RSSAC session for Sunday is actually a short Outreach session with Fellows. Jeff is planning on presenting to Fellows, so I'll just have it on the schedule for your awareness.

Day 3, Monday, we will have the plenary session, the welcome ceremony, and the Committee Excellence Award. Then there will be some high interest sessions, like the community consultation on Public Interest Commitments, Registry Voluntary Commitments, and then the Q&A with ICANN Org Executive Team. In the afternoon, there will be two RSS GWG sessions. So we don't have an RSSAC session on Monday.

On Tuesday, we start with the joint meeting with ICANN Board, then we will have some work sessions, beginning with the guidelines for changing root server address. It will be followed by the party meeting of the Security Incident Reporting Work Party. And in the afternoon on Tuesday, we'll have a session to discuss RSSAC Workshop Planning. The final session of the day will be the RSSAC meeting, which will replace RSSAC March meeting. Later that day, we will have RSSAC dinner. I will circulate a form on the mailing list. So if you're planning on attending RSSAC dinner, please RSVP for planning purposes.

On Wednesday, we have two RSS GWG sessions in the morning. And in the afternoon, there will be some technical sessions. So we just made it

---

free of RSSAC session so that you can join these technical sessions. There will be a track of DNSSEC and Security Workshop. Also, you will find second IANA Naming Function Review Team session in the afternoon. There will be an IANA Customer Standing Committee session in the final block of Wednesday.

On Thursday morning, we have the final RSS GWG session, followed by ICANN public forum. In the afternoon, there will be a Geopolitical Forum. The final session of the meeting is the ICANN Board meeting.

This is the RSSAC schedule which is probably final. The full schedule will be published next Monday on the 12<sup>th</sup>. I will be circulating a PDF version of the schedule after this full schedule is published. We'll create a link to the agendas for the session. We'll start populating the agendas for these.

So I see some hands. Probably there are some questions. I'll stop here. Jeff, please go ahead.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thanks, Ozan. One dumb question and then one that you may just have as the next item. Should we have gotten something yet to RSVP for the RSSAC dinner, or is that yet to go out?

OZAN SAHIN:

No, this is yet to go out. I'll be circulating it shortly.



---

JEFF OSBORN: Okay, great. The other one is the question as to whether the preparation meeting for the RSSAC-ICANN Board meeting, which is right there. Is that a separate item about whether we do that closed or not? And I'm jumping the gun.

OZAN SAHIN: That is the question to ask in this meeting. The RSSAC Admin Committee discussed this. There may be some value in having a second closed session at ICANN79, which is this prep session for the ICANN Board and RSSAC joint meeting. So this is actually the question to full RSSAC, what do you think about having this prep session as an open session or a closed session? So the Admin Committee would appreciate your feedback on that.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. Thank you, Ozan. Let me just throw in my little flavor on that before I hand it off to Wes. I apologize for taking so much time. I think the Admin Committee thought about whether having that be an open meeting would make it a lot harder to come up with the appropriate questions. Because I think we'd have to kind of be performing to a crowd that isn't the actual audience. So just like with the messaging, I like it being closed because I think you have to ask questions that require way too much explaining. I think, even though it's better to be open more frequently, this one we might want to be closed. But if somebody has a strong opinion about being open, I'm absolutely willing to bet and on that. Thanks for indulging me. Wes?

---

WES HARDAKER: So two things. One, we have a meeting in two weeks, I believe, to discuss actually framing the questions to the ICANN Board as well as giving them suggestions for the ICANN Board to ask us. So this is sort of an independent session for that where we're just hoping to help compose our responses to their questions that we asked them to ask us, because that always gets confusing. Am I right about that, Ozan, before I continue?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes. The correction there is this call is next week, not in two weeks. It will be next Tuesday.

WES HARDAKER: Okay, great. So with that, nothing in the ICANN Board and RSSAC open joint meeting is likely to be contentious. So my continuous goal to increase the transparency of every group that I'm a part of, including RSSAC, because things keep happening that cause negative impressions, including the ICANN Board, by the way. People are unhappy with the ICANN Board meeting in closed session. ICANN is moving more and more and more toward an open. So unless we have a solid reason to close something, I would argue it should be open. And I don't see any controversial topics that will be discussed. In fact, I suspect that we do not need a full hour to even have that discussion in the first place. It will actually be quite short because we'll have work mostly out, especially next week or two weeks from now.

---

But, Ozan, my other real quick question was, do you know when Tech Day is? You don't need to modify the calendar. I'm just curious where the overlap is. I suspect it's Wednesday morning.

OZAN SAHIN: Tech Day, as far as I know, will be on Monday. I think I saw four sessions on Monday. So with the exception of the welcome ceremony, all Monday will be Tech Day.

WES HARDAKER: Okay, great. Thanks.

OZAN SAHIN: You're welcome. Any other comments about whether the prep session for the joint meeting with the ICANN Board should be closed or open? I think I saw a hand from Ken but this may be on another matter. So, Liman, please go ahead.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Thank you. I'm actually pretty much on Wes's side here. If we have a solid reason to close it down, yes, by all means. But unless we really come up with something, I did think it should be open meeting. Like Wes, I cannot really see anything that contentious going on here. Thank you.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Liman. Jeff?

JEFF OSBORN: I raised the issue, I heard from people, I'm with Wes and Liman on this. Let's be as open as we can. And thank you very much for letting me air that.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Jeff. Ken, please go ahead.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Ozan. This is on a separate topic. The How It Works session, which is in the first afternoon session on Day 2, Sunday, we have volunteers to do that. But if some of them are the same old people, if anybody would like to volunteer to present any of that, please send an e-mail to myself or the Admin Committee or even the full RSSAC. You're welcome to join the fun.

The other one is the presentation to the Fellows, which is Sunday afternoon. The outreach with the Fellows, that's our last block, Jeff is going to give that but any RSSAC member that would like to attend that and provide feedback, help gauge the audience, this is kind of a work in progress type presentation that could be repeated, could be morphed into something else. So observers to gather feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Ken. Jeff?

JEFF OSBORN: Is that the same as the Newcomers, or is that a different one? I'm now conflating—

OZAN SAHIN: That's the same, Jeff.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. Thank you.

OZAN SAHIN: Sure. One note about the point Wes made, whether we would need full 60 minutes for the prep session for the joint meeting with the ICANN Board or not, if you have any spare time in any of these work sessions, there's one more item that we can handle or RSSAC Admin Committee suggested handling. We will get to that in this agenda today. But this is the IETF Funded Traveler Guidelines. So if you have any spare time, I guess we will also be reviewing and making progress on that document as well during ICANN79, utilizing the face-to-face time.

Do we have any comments or questions above, the 79 RSSAC schedule? Thank you. Jeff, did you want to add something?

JEFF OSBORN: No. We've been working on it a lot. I think it looks pretty tight. And after this, we have the Admin meeting, so we can nail it down.

OZAN SAHIN:

Thank you. So going back to the agenda. So a few more notes about ICANN79. The ICANN79 Prep Week schedule is out. It was published yesterday. It consists of 12 webinars from 20<sup>th</sup> February through the 22<sup>nd</sup>. One webinar to note here is on Wednesday, ICANN Board will be offering an engagement session with ICANN community at 4:30 pm UTC. So you can again see the full Prep Week schedule, which will be made of webinars. Sign up for the sessions via the ICANN79 Registration link. You will be able to sign up for ICANN79 sessions from next Monday on. But you can go ahead and do that now for Prep Week sessions.

Let's see. I think we touched upon the preparation for the joint meeting with ICANN Board, going down to 5C, and receive feedback on whether that meeting should be closed or public. Again, as a reminder, we have a teleconference to go over our working document. This will happen next Tuesday on the 13<sup>th</sup> of February. I already sent out a calendar invitation for that. Please add your comments until this teleconference. So over back to you, Ken. I think you're done with agenda item five.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks, Ozan. On agenda item six, work items. The first one is the Security Incident Reporting. Let's see. The Security Incident Reporting Workgroup met Monday yesterday, lots of good document cleanup. Two items worth mentioning here is while the absolute focus is on security incidents, the work party is also describing a little bit about a transparency or informational report. This type of report is optional at the discretion of the RSOs. It is either periodic, ad hoc, or both. And the

---

details of these will not be described in this document. So it's just mentioning that this can exist. Example of this type of Informational Transparency Report is basically everything that that Root Ops has done so far. It's not a security incident, but it's something, "Hey, we decided or on discretion to publicize."

The other item in the work party is a discussion of confidentiality, looking at confidentiality as a security service that could be worth reporting if there's an incident. So the work party is proposing that the disclosure of logs or query logs that are not anonymized would constitute a security incident. So this would effectively be a new requirement for RSOs that do the DITL data. So the questions that come up are: is IP source anonymization sufficient for—I hate to use the word PII because there are so many different descriptions of it. But that's the discussion. Is that sufficient? What's the real definition of a security incident? One of the ideas was to bring this up in the joint meeting with RSSAC and the SSAC to get their opinions on that.

So if you're interested in any of those topics, please join the next meeting. I believe that next meeting should be in two weeks, and that's actually during ICANN—is that during ICANN79? I'm getting mixed up. It might be beyond that. It might be one before ICANN79. Hans, please. Hans Peter, we can't hear you.

HANS PETTER HOLEN:

Sorry about that. I'm not sure I understood fully what you said. Are you saying that IP addresses are Personal Identifiable Information and therefore it's security incident if they are logged?

KEN RENARD: That is a proposed definition of a security incident. So calling it PII, Personal Identifiable Information. There are so many legal definitions. I don't think we want to even put that tag PII on it.

HANS PETTER HOLEN: That legal definition comes from GDPR. So if an IP address is considered PII, then there are special clauses in GDPR that applies. That's why that terminology. I'm not familiar with other legislations rights. But in essence, you're saying that if IP addresses are logged, or that's a question, is that a security incident? Because I think that has a mind-blowing consequence. And I think that statement without context is not really meaningful to me.

KEN RENARD: Yes. That's why I wanted to bring it up to this group because it is a pretty big statement to say that if query logs from a root server are disclosed, I think, for example, DITL data that are not anonymized, is that constituting a security incident? So this discussion belongs in the work party, but I definitely wanted to bring it up here. So we have Robert and then Duane.

ROB CAROLINA: Thanks very much, Ken. First of all, I apologize. I wasn't able to make the workgroup meeting yesterday. I was on the train from Brussels back to London. I do, however, want to pause and clarify a couple of quick things. One of them is this. If we're talking about a log of events that

---



includes IP addresses, then the law in Europe is extraordinarily clear on this point. And that is a very significant number of, perhaps not all of, but a very significant number of those IP addresses will constitute—I want to use this term very precisely—personal data, as that term is used in GDPR. I tried to avoid using the term PII because the term PII has a technical definition in both an ISO standard as well as a NIST standard. Those technical definitions do not drift very far from the GDPR definition. But then there are a number of differing and incompatible definitions of PII and U.S. federal law, which have a much narrower interpretation.

So, a couple of cautionary points. One is that if we're going to use a term in that document, let's be careful which term we're using. Point number two, if a root server were to lose a log or the contents of a log that included full IP addresses, whether or not you want to define it as a security incident is almost irrelevant. It would, however, very probably be a reportable breach event reportable under GDPR.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks. Good question to bring over to the work party. Duane?

DUANE WESSELS:

Thanks, Ken. I also apologize. I wasn't able to make the meeting yesterday so I missed this. My questions or discussions about this would be around the word disclose. Does that mean publicly disclosed, privately disclosed? Because for DITL, it's shared under an agreement that binds other org members to confidentiality. So that's where I would take the discussion. I'll try to be on the next call for that. Thanks.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Duane. Wes?

WES HARDAKER: I think that we will use this as a point of—sorry, my phone is auto playing something. We'll use this as a notion that everybody should come to these meetings because this is an important topic to discuss. There's a lot of evidence that IP addresses from DNS resolvers are not private information in the first place. What and how constitute a release of information, all of that are being discussed on our biweekly calls, and it's a hard topic. But this isn't the right venue because we don't have the entire Caucus Membership participating in the discussion, like it's intentional. So with that, everybody has raised really good points to discuss. Please come to the next meeting. I'll serve as a Ken proxy and participate because this is a critical question.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Wes. Russ?

RUSS MUNDY: Thanks. I was going to bring this up during my report time, but since we're talking about it now, I'll ask it now. I think your suggestion at the work party was good to discuss this between the RSSAC and the SSAC. But at this point, I am not certain that we in the RSSAC Caucus have enough material and context to have a discussion, specifically if we're going to ask SSAC members for their commentary on it. What I would like to suggest as a better approach would be to try to develop a little

---

further in the next work party meeting what we believe the position ought to be. And then prior to our joint meeting at ICANN79, we forward that—I forwarded it, whomever—to the SSAC and we just simply discuss this in the work party reports. So if SSAC members have feelings and ideas and contributions, they can make them that way rather than asking specifically for SSAC to say something during our joint meeting.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks, Russ. Yeah, I would see it more of a discussion, like, “Hey, what do you guys think about this?” It’s not an official statement from SSAC. But I’ll take that as an action item for myself to reach out to Robert Story, the work party leader, to discuss that in the next meeting, and essentially prepare for bringing it up in the joint RSSAC-SSAC meeting.

RUSS MUNDY:

Thank you, Ken. I would also be willing to participate in another call with you guys to help formulate, if that’s something that would be helpful, just let me know.

KEN RENARD:

Okay. Thank you, Russ.

RUSS MUNDY:

Thanks.

---

KEN RENARD: All right. I think we've generated some interest in selling tickets to the next Security Incident Reporting. The work party is going to go well. Work item 6B, the supported travelers for IETF. Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you, Ken, and hello, everyone, again. So RSSAC started reviewing the RSSAC Caucus IETF Supported Travelers Funding Guidelines as part of its RSSAC triple zero version 8 review. Triple zero version 8 is the RSSAC Operational Procedures. A new document has been published. But we still are targeting finalizing this document as well. So as I said earlier, in any spare time that we would have at ICANN79 during the work sessions, we will also be using this time to review this document and finalize it, as we will shortly begin the selections for travel support for the IETF in July. So the link to this document is again on the agenda. Please feel free to add your comments until the work session happens. Thank you.

KEN RENARD: All right. Thanks, Ozan. Any questions or discussion on that before we move on to reports? Jeff?

JEFF OSBORN: Ozan usually sends out a link to a Google sheet in which you enter that you're interested in getting support for it. I have seen it for Kigali but I don't believe I have seen it for the IETF meeting this summer. Is that correct, Ozan? Or is that something we can expect to see at some point?

OZAN SAHIN: That is correct, Jeff. I believe we will be sharing this sometime in March. But if we can finalize this document, finalize reviewing the guidelines before that, it would be wonderful.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you. Excellent.

OZAN SAHIN: Thank you.

KEN RENARD: All right, then on to agenda item seven, the reports from the chair and vice chair. I don't really have too much. I don't have anything because we just had RSSAC meeting recently. Jeff, do you have anything to report?

JEFF OSBORN: Yes, I'd like to report, if I get hit by a bus, we won't miss a beat because Ken is obviously very good at this.

KEN RENARD: Thanks. I still have the training wheels on. Okay. Wes, from the ICANN Board.

---

WES HARDAKER:

I don't have a huge amount of report for the ICANN Board. We're looking forward to, of course, the discussion coming up. I think that one of the biggest things that's happening ICANN worldwide, it's not so much center on the Board yet, but the Board will want to know answers to is handling the NCAP related change updates has been discussion that I think will come to RSSAC at some point, both from NCAP directly and probably from the Board, to make sure that we are capable of handling. If they want to insert and remove delegations to fictitious addresses and stuff like that, we have a concern. We'll bring that up probably in two weeks when we talk about the ICANN Board related questions and discussions, and things like that. Hopefully, we can get Suzanne there since she's very instrumental in the NCAP process and we can figure out if there are some good questions that we can sort of frame that discussion with the Board early on to head off any concerns.

KEN RENARD:

Okay. Thanks, Wes. If I recall correctly, there was an NCAP session in the ICANN Prep Week as well. So anybody wanting to get up to speed on the latest and NCAP could join that.

WES HARDAKER:

Let's ask Suzanne if there's anything she wants to pipe up now about that we should be aware of so we can start thinking about it. Did you see the bus coming, Suzanne?

---

SUZANNE WOOLF:

I was this close to a clean getaway. This close. Yeah, there's the Prep Week session, but there's also a bunch of other constituencies that have asked for briefings. The document, the draft report is out for public comment now. So I should probably put the link in the chat. But it's available for your perusal. I think Wes is right, that there's an additional or maybe a little bit of additional conversation between the Board and RSSAC about stuff that NCAP was recommending. We will undoubtedly have many chances to discuss it in more depth.

WES HARDAKER:

One quick, I forgot. Well, something I forgot. I should have mentioned that the DNS abuse changes to the Registry/Registrar Agreements have gone through, that was a monumental related change that it's really trying to reduce DNS abuse and has received wide accolades from the Board and all the communities for getting that agreement in place, and so the Board has finally approved that is a mechanism for change for upcoming contracts, and it's a pretty big deal. So don't be surprised it doesn't really affect the root so much, other than maybe we'll see less DNS abuse overall. But I just wanted to make you guys aware that the community is quite happy that this is going forward.

KEN RENARD:

Great. That is good news. All right. Any questions to Wes and ICANN Board? All right, seeing none, we'll go over to the CSC.

So within the CSC, the actual SLAs are all being met, nothing of note there. That's good. But procedures for updating the Service Level Agreements are being developed and refined. The idea is for regular

---

reviews of the SLAs, at most, a five year period in between reviews. And if an SLA change is proposed, it will go out for public comment. But the proposed processes that the CSC members and liaisons will inform their communities, and for RSSAC, that means RSSAC as a group or individual RSSAC members can comment during that Public Comment period. There will be an open session during ICANN79. I believe it's March 6, Wednesday, in the afternoon. Okay. If that's it right there, that's fantastic. Thank you, Ozan. To follow along with this, if you're interested, please join. That's it from the CSC. Any questions?

All right. Daniel in the chat, from RZERC and IAB, he said he had to leave for another meeting. He said there's nothing to report from RZERC and IAB. Russ, anything from the SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY:

Thank you, Ken. As usual, I will ask for any additional items to discuss beyond those that we've already discussed that folks want to see on the agenda for the joint SSAC-RSSAC meeting. It sounds like there is at least a fairly high interest level in the results of where things are with the NCAP and maybe direct on what might impact the root server system. And there's clearly interest on input from SSAC for the Security Incident Report. So we'll incorporate those at least with the presenters. But anything else that folks would like to hear or discuss, please let myself or Ken or Jeff know, and we'll see that it gets on the agenda. Thanks.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks, Russ. James from the IANA Functions Operator.



JAMES MITCHELL: Hi, everyone. IANA has been working over the last year to identify new agency in the roots zone KSK function. Last year, we announced the rollover and suspended that because they've been going away. So we're in the process of drafting an announcement. Logged ones that were selected a new vendor. We'll look to introduce that HSM in Q2. We're not transferring the key between the HSMs. This will trigger generation of a new key on the new hardware, and then we'll look to begin the process of a KSK rollover again. So more information for that will be coming out just prior to the ICANN meeting.

KEN RENARD: Great. Thanks, James. We look forward to that. Duane, anything from the RZM?

DUANE WESSELS: Thanks, Ken. No, nothing to report this meeting.

KEN RENARD: Wes?

WES HARDAKER: Actually, just a question for James real quick. So .internal has really been sort of semi-approved. Is there any timeline for what the next steps for that are getting it permanently? I don't think it's actually permanently documented as an exception yet, right? Is that the case?

JAMES MITCHELL: Sorry, I'm not sure about the permanent document exemption. So the timeline is in Q2. We're looking to introduce new HSMs. So the IANA team did an investigation, looked at several brands and models of HSMs, worked closely with trusted community representatives, and assessing sort of the impact it has on all of our procedures, and put together basically a proposal to move [inaudible], and it's really the [inaudible] of G7, that small communities don't have any concerns with that. There will be a couple of changes to the DPS via Q2 HSM introduction. Q3 would be introduction on the other coast, and they will be looking at Q4 to sign the new DNSKEY. That's for publication in the root zone in Q1, which would be January 11, 2025. So that's sort of the proposed timeline for that. We can talk more about that if you have questions.

KEN RENARD: All right. Thanks, Duane, James, and Wes. As far as the GWG, we saw the schedule, the meetings for ICANN79. Would anybody like to ask questions or comments or say anything about the GWG?

BRAD VERD: I'll just say discussions are continuing, and we're making progress.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Brad. I was trying not to throw you under the bus there. All right, on to Any Other Business. First item is that the next meeting will be during ICANN79, Tuesday, the 5<sup>th</sup> of March. You see the time slot

---

---

there. That's UTC. Is there any other AOB items anybody would like to bring up? Erum?

ERUM WELLING:

Great. Thank you. I know I'm an observer but I wanted to mention that the ICANN Org has a Continuous—I'm going to read this out. So it's CIP-CCG. It stands for Continuous Improvement Program Community Coordination Group. So they're looking at the existing improvement efforts that are underway for the SOs and the ACs. So there were two representatives I think from the ICANN Caucus, myself, and Naveed Bin Rais, who are looking at what is going on within RSSAC for improvement. And obviously, we have the GWG going on. So, we will be providing updates. I think Ozan could provide more details on this program itself from a higher level standpoint, but we've only had one session and have been tasked at this point at least. I don't know how many more details we'll be getting into, but we've been asked to provide just some initial response as to what is going on within RSSAC. Naveed and I met with Jeff Osborn last week, February 1<sup>st</sup>, with Ozan and Jeff, to get their thoughts on what's going on within RSSAC for continuous improvement. Based on that meeting, Naveed and I will be putting together some text to provide back to this Continuous Improvement Program.

KEN RENARD:

Thank you, Erum. If there's anything from that group to report back to RSSAC, please let us know, and we can get you on the schedule during the reports phase. We appreciate the feedback.

ERUM WELLING: Thank you. So I wrote up this text, just because we have a spreadsheet and we have to put in the text information related to the Continuous Improvement Program. So I just copied and pasted the text into the chat so you can see. I'm going to be inserting into the spreadsheet. If there's anything there that needs to be modified, please let me know. We have our next meeting tomorrow, actually. So thank you.

KEN RENARD: Great. Thank you. I'm going to take a look at that and invite everyone else too as well. Great. Any other Any Other Business?

All right, with that, we can adjourn. I'll see you the next meeting on Tuesday, the 5<sup>th</sup> of March. Come and join the Security Incident Reporting Group, and we'll see you then. Thanks.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks, Ken.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Wouldn't miss it for the world.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**