

ICANN

**Moderator: Terri Agnew
December 14, 2017
10:00 am CT**

Coordinator: Recordings have started.

Andrea Glandon: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the BC Members call on the 14th of December, 2017. In the interest of time, there will be no roll call. Attendance will be taken via the Adobe Connect room. At this time we have (Adetola Sogbesan) on the audio portion only. It looks like we also have Ben Wallis on the audio portion only.

I would like to remind all to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid background noise.

With this I will turn it over to Andrew Mack, please begin.

Andrew Mack: Great. Thank you, Andrea. And good morning, good afternoon, good evening to every. Andrea, can you hear me correctly? Should I take it off speaker?

Andrea Glandon: I think if you can take it off speaker, Andrew, that would be better.

Andrew Mack: Great. Okay, here we go. I'm sorry, it's a little bit easier - little bit clearer this way. Great. Well I'm looking at the attendance and I'm that there an awful lot of people maybe in motion right now or with a lot of competing priorities and we recognize that that's what happens around this time of year.

I just wanted to take a special - a quick special couple of minutes as this is, I believe, my last BC meeting as chair to say a couple of things to the BC, which I'll start with and then if Steve is okay with this, because Barbara has a conflict later in the hour, we'd like to move the CSG report which we don't believe will be super long to the second item on the agenda. Steve, is that okay with you? Let Barbara begin, okay.

I'm comfortable letting Barbara begin. Barbara, would you like to ahead and start with the CSG report?

Barbara Wanner: Thank you, Andrew. And I will be brief. I have basically four items that I'd like to review with the BC and get their input on. In terms of planning for the intercessional, we have two meetings with the Board. The first one will be very informal, they'll be joining our February 1 end of the day cocktail reception. But the second one will be a one-hour lunch meeting - a working lunch on February 2. And I need specific topics for us to address with the Board, I need your recommendations of that.

And I'm quite anxious to receive those because the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group made clear that they would like to focus this lunch on the role of GAC in ICANN, GAC's overreach and Board's over deference to GAC advice. And I personally think that a luncheon meeting that is only one hour is not the best setting for that type of discussion. So I welcome your suggestions of how we might target that one hour of discussion with the Board.

The second item is that we have proposed that there be a special session at the intercessional that focuses, again, on GDPR Whois compliance. I have put forward Steve's name to serve as the CSG co lead on that. We're still awaiting who would represent the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group on that topic.

There has also been considerable interest in having a session devoted to transparency. This would take forward the manner in which transparency was addressed in the Work Stream 2 work subgroup. And Michael Karanicolas who was one of the rapporteurs along with Chris Wilson noted that the way the transparency session is described in the current documents it is very general, it refers to ICANN's open data efforts and so forth while the priority for the Non Contracted Party House at least at our Abu Dhabi discussion seemed to be on ICANN Legal's response to Work Stream 2 recommendations.

So he urged that we be clear about the focus. If the BC approves I will provide input to this process that requests that we target this topic to focus on the Work Stream 2 recommendations which would make it very helpful then for us to have ICANN Legal involved in these discussions. Again, if the BC approves, I would like to put forward my name to serve as a co lead for that session. That would then have to be approved by the CSG. But I thought I would first start with the BC in terms of soliciting your views on that.

The fourth topic is one - another one of the session topics was a Non Contracted Party House in house procedural issues, the selection of - the, you know, selection of Board Seat 14, the GNSO vice chair selection process and in proposing this I thought we were pretty clear that we wanted to begin the process to develop text for the selection of Board Seat 14 much like Wolf-Ulrich of the ISPCP did for the vice chair selection process. But again, the

NCSG claims they don't actually know what we're talking about, would appreciate some guidance there. If you feel that is - that topic warrants discussion at the intercessional meeting or not.

And then finally I would just like to note that I sent a specific email concerning this and Steve and I followed up on it at the intercessional - the most recent intercessional teleconference concerning the interests of some NCPH members and participating via remote observation. ICANN staff clarified that any member of the NCPH community can indeed participate through remote observation via the Adobe chat.

If they want to contribute to what is being discussed, they can use the chat function but ICANN staff was very clear that the purpose and priority of the intercessional is to enable face to face discussion among the seven delegates from each constituency so actual verbal interventions would be limited to in person participants.

So I know there was a question about that for the BC and I just wanted to make clear and have on the record that we indeed followed through on that and that was the response we were given from ICANN staff.

So I guess in terms of action items and input for which I'd be grateful, it would be how best you think we should focus our one hour meeting with the Board - the transparency session and then any further thoughts on how we want to develop the GDPR Whois session that Steve will co lead. And that's it for my CSG briefing. Thank you. Happy to take questions.

Andrew Mack: Great. Do we have any questions or any comments people would like to put forward?

Steve DelBianco: Hand's raised.

Andrew Mack: Yes please, Steve.

Steve DelBianco: It's Steve. Hey, thanks, Barbara. When we finish this section of question, and let's be sure to give you the chance to talk about the high interest topics that you're organizing as well, I don't think you mentioned that.

Barbara Wanner: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Barbara Wanner: Okay, I wanted to be clear on that. Okay, go ahead, Steve, on transparency. Go for it.

Steve DelBianco: Yes, I support the idea of letting the focus of transparency include ICANN Legal's resistance, not even their response, it was their resistance to being - to having recommendations put forward about transparency on ICANN Legal's claims of attorney client privilege or confidentiality. And we understand confidentiality is there but we had initially recommended that they would have to explain why something was confidential. And they stiffed us on that.

And so I agree with your suggestion, I think it would be great if you would lead it. And if Michael Karanicolas were attending from the NCSG, I would recommend turning to him at different points in the meeting to let him expand specifically on the way that ICANN Legal resisted a request for transparency.

Keep in mind that this isn't just a chat, we have Work Stream 2 which is the last best chance to get accountability and transparency recommendations implemented, this is leftover from the transition and it carries the highest

obligation for the Board to implement consensus recommendations coming out of the community. If we don't get legal transparency now, we will never get it. This is our last chance, so I think your appropriate to focus it that way. And if Michael is there, coordinate with him ideally, for instance, you and he for the NCSG could run that session and it would be a great one, two punch.

Barbara Wanner: Okay, I will put forward that input to the intercessional planning email distribution.

Steve DelBianco: And then, Barbara, with respect to the Board lunch meeting, if the...

Barbara Wanner: Yes.

Steve DelBianco: ...NCSG wants to make it all about the GAC, there's a way we can work with that and that might be to say that while we're on the subject of GAC, let's allocate some of that hour to talk about how do we figure out the position of European governments who have one voice in the GAC advice regarding GDPR and Whois, and they have another voice through the European Data Protection authorities? And how do we reconcile amongst governments the conflicting priorities that they may have?

And that's courteous, that's not a got-you, but it does force - it does force the conversation to remind ICANN and the - sorry the Non Commercial Stakeholder Group, to remind them that while European governments may feel one way about GDPR, those very same governments in the GAC unanimously supported consensus advice in Abu Dhabi about maintaining an open Whois to protect consumers. So I think that that would be a good way to complement their focus on the GAC's power within ICANN.

Barbara Wanner: Okay. Okay.

Andrew Mack: Great. And, Barbara, anything else that you'd like to drop in?

Barbara Wanner: Well I just wanted to clarify really, I was asked very directly about this on the candidate's call, I agreed to provide an interim service here while we're in transition in leadership transition concerning the submission of topics - high interest topics for ICANN61. I drafted what the BC submitted concerning Whois models that could meet the GDPR. But I do not know yet whether I can carry forward that sort of staff-assistant type function in 2018.

It would be pending in depth conversations with my committee chair here, and also my senior management. But I did provide this service for the BC in recognition of us having to pitch in during these critical last weeks of the year. And you have the template there that Steve provided as an attachment for what was submitted.

Andrew Mack: Okay, great. Barbara, do we still have you for a couple more minutes?

Barbara Wanner: Yes, a few more minutes.

Andrew Mack: Okay great. If there's nothing else on CSG, I'm going to jump in real quick and do what I was going to do as my welcome just because you were one of the people that I wanted to recognize before you take off. So are we - we're finished with the CSG?

Barbara Wanner: Yes, sir. Yes.

Andrew Mack: Okay great. Well thank you very much. And thank you to everyone and I wanted to just to say a couple quick words that I would have otherwise said in

the -on the welcome screen about what it's been like to be the BC Chair for the last few months and some words of thanks.

I set out to do the best I could to be a steady hand at the BC, a bridge builder and to run meetings that moved and were substantive, moved and valued your time, moved along at a good pace and were interesting to everyone. I wanted to continue with a focus on outreach and awareness and I think we've been successful in both of those things.

I am immensely grateful to everyone on the ExComm and to all of the members. We wanted to keep the train running well, we have by far the most exciting and dynamic and interesting constituency in the ICANN world, and I think that all in all things have gone very very nicely. I was thinking back last night over the last few months and especially of some highlights and of the one crazy day when we had the five different meetings in Abu Dhabi. And all of the different things that we pulled together and all of the different contributors to that, I really wanted to say how grateful I am to the members of the ExComm and to everyone who really worked incredibly hard and made things happen.

I want to send a special thanks to my great friend and my mentor, Steve DelBianco, who has been an incredible source of both information and inspiration as I've taken on this role of being chair. I know that we've got new members, I think that's amazing. We've got new initiatives like mentoring that are picking up. And I think all in all it's very exciting to see the new people who are coming in but the new and the old people who are coming in as members of the ExComm.

I wanted to acknowledge Chantelle and Andrea as amazing staff people who have helped keep us on track, who have been amazingly supportive to me and

I know to other members of ExComm. We couldn't do what we do without you and we're appreciative of that.

And I wanted to send out four hopes for the BC going forward. One hope is about more outreach. I hope that we'll continue on the path that we're on, we're doing some great work. I would like to see us continue with it to expand it and to further integrate the new members that we get into what we're doing.

The second thing is a hope for more and more consistent regional engagement. I know that there are parts of the world where we would like to get more members and where there are business voices that aren't always present. And I think we can and we should do more and I hope we will.

The third one is for more candidates. You know, we want to make it easier for people to get engaged and we've already done a tremendous job of trying to get more people involved. Steve was mentioning on the candidate call, more people engaged in doing the - in doing the comments and in participating in that way and love to see people take the next step whether that's a short road or a long road to getting there, I still think it's a worthwhile road.

And the last one is I'd like us to see - yes, I'd like to see us do more to build our teamwork and build the civility within the BC. I know it's a - these are sometime very contentious issues and this is hard stuff, but I think we've done a lot to try to build that up. It is - it has been a great honor to serve as chair and that is - and I wanted to thank you all, so that's my - that was just the statement I wanted to make and I wanted to do it before we lost anybody.

Steve, I'd love to turn it over to you to do our policy calendar.

Steve DelBianco: All right, Andrew, thank you for serving as chair, for stepping up and doing your part. I think you did a wonderful job as chair. It's really been a pleasure having you run the meetings and run the calls. Thanks again, looking forward to continued engagement and outreach and other aspects of what the BC does.

Andrea, can you put up the policy calendar please? All right, since I sent the policy calendar out yesterday, if anyone needs it Andrea can resend it to you. It's a long one but I think we'll get through it pretty quickly since we don't have any comments that are due immediately.

Since our last call, which was the November the 30th, we have actually submitted one, two, three, four different comments and letters to ICANN. I'll take it from the most recently, which was this week we commented on IDNs, those are Internationalized Domain Names, these are implementation guidelines proposed by ICANN, and we wanted to ensure that there was greater attention to the visual confusion that could be created by characters from IDN when they're rendered on screens in both email addresses and domain names.

I want to really thank Andy Abrams for leading that draft and then Paul Mitchell and (Olga Yavez) also contributed to the edits. Thank you again on that. Andy, is there anything you wanted to add on that comment?

Andy Abrams: No, nothing at this time.

Steve DelBianco: Andy came up with a word I'd never seen before, Andy, was it (homoglyphic) is what you were calling it?

Andy Abrams: Yes, I think I had to look that one up.

Steve DelBianco: It was too good. So I've just checked and there have only been seven comments submitted on this, so, again, the BC distinguishes itself because we are paying attention to things like this and putting them in the context of how do we safeguard the trusts and the reliance of business users both registrants and end users? Okay? Thanks, Andy. Appreciate that.

On the 8th of December we sent a letter directly to the ICANN CEO and Chair, and our letter expressed concern - I don't think it was over the top but it was direct where we said we're really concerned about ICANN making what looked like a unilateral out of process decision to relax their Whois compliance in the face of GDPR. And we're speaking of the compliance statement made by Göran on that Thursday in Abu Dhabi when he was on our CCWG - our high interest topic panel so after he made that announcement that ICANN would relax the compliance for registrars, on European registrars.

I wanted to thank Denise Michel, Margie Milam, Jay Sudowski and Tim Chen for drafting the letter. We had shared copies with our colleagues in the IPC and the ISPCP. Some IPC colleagues had some suggested edits and in the end they couldn't come around to joining us to sign the letter. And given the importance of timing we decided to send without them and invited our colleagues in the CSG to follow on. And they haven't done so just yet.

Now I do want to suggest that the ICANN correspondence page does not yet show our letter. They do not yet publish our letter. And they did publish letters like this, in fact...

((Crosstalk))

Steve DelBianco: In fact since the letter was sent in, there have been other letters published by ICANN Compliance. So Andrea is looking into having that letter put up and

what we're asking ICANN to do is to explain what process did you use since there already is a Board approved procedure for trying to adjust Whois compliance to conform with applicable laws.

And that's an entire procedure the BC has commented on before we've supported that procedure. Registrars have used it for several years now. And the question we put to ICANN was why wasn't that the procedure that was used, get an explanation more than likely will come from ICANN Legal, and I think the implicit recommendation is that if ICANN - Andrea, are you able to tell which line we need to mute?

Andrea Glandon: Yes, I'm working on that.

Steve DelBianco: Okay. So a reminder for folks to please mute when you're not speaking.

((Crosstalk))

Steve DelBianco: All right, so we do expect a follow up from ICANN Legal. And I know that they've received the letter and they're paying attention to it. Again, we brought this whole topic up to Göran's attention at the meeting that he held in Washington two weeks ago. Steve Metalitz and I both hammered this point about process at which point Göran had said things like, "No doubt about it, we'll follow the process. We'll follow the process." So we're trying to get him on record for that. Any other comments on that letter and follow up? Margie, I see you typing in the chat.

Okay Margie just indicated that the IPC is working on a letter to support the BC's suggestion that we didn't follow process here. Thank you.

On December 4 we replied to a questionnaire that ICANN had put out regarding community travel support. Marilyn, thank you for drafting it, and I know that Gabby, Omar, (Tola), Jimson, Barbara and Lawrence all contributed edits to it. It was a very substantial response thanks to the initial drafting of Marilyn. And I personally thought it was a solid response.

We got an extension on that deadline from ICANN. We put it in and ICANN staff confirmed to me that they received our responses in time for them to consider them. Thank you very much, Marilyn, for leading that effort and the rest of you who participated.

On November 30 we filed a comment on the rationale and target level for ICANN's reserve fund. And thanks to Jimson, Jay and Marilyn for drafting on that.

All right, let me turn to the currently-open public comments. There are several, you can scroll down on your policy calendar to get to them. The first one are recommendations for accountability through diversity. And this is one of the several comments that are currently up with regards to recommendations coming out of Work Stream 2.

Earlier on the call I reminded you all that Work Stream 2 recommendations carry very high bar, if all of the chartering organizations have consensus about a recommendation then the ICANN Board has to muster a 2/3 vote to reject any of the recommendations on accountability and transparency. And then they would have to explain their rationale for why they didn't agree and if we couldn't work it out the Board has to vote again by 2/3 to reject it.

And even those actions themselves are subject to community challenge if we thought like ICANN violated its bylaws. So this is one of the first exercises of

the empowered community responsibility and that's why these Work Stream 2 recommendations have so much importance to them. And what Barbara spoke about earlier was the transparency recommendations. What I'm showing you now on Item 1 under the currently open public comments is the notions on diversity.

Now Jimson had put together a couple of paragraphs and now we have a large team led by Marilyn, Jimson, Andy Mack, Christian, (Tola Waudu) who are beginning to draft that comment. Its closing period is January the 5th which is sooner than it seems given the holidays are coming up. So I will encourage that team and the others who have a January 5 deadline to try to get me your drafts. I'll be able to circulate, edit and reconcile drafts and circulate them over the holidays.

But we can't all return to work on January 2 - we can't all return to work on January 2 and expect to approve...

((Crosstalk))

Steve DelBianco: Marilyn. Marilyn, go ahead. I believe that's your line.

Marilyn Cade: Oh thanks. I just wanted to offer an appeal to all of you to please look at - Jimson did a really great launch and then of course since I can't write in anything other than four pages. Wait, I made it two pages. That was a joke. That I think we really need your input. We have a small team working on this but we need your input. Suggestions made about for instance I'm just going to give an example, language diversity, we can't meet all of these requirements without funding and what I tried to do and have input from a few others we need to prioritize this.

So perhaps I thought we could do this by December 10, we obviously can't. But we need to do it -we have an extension but Steve, what do you think maybe December the 20th to get other comments? Would that work?

Steve DelBianco: Yes, if you circulate your cleaned up draft and I'll work with you on that, by December the 20th we would be on target to give our members 14 days to review.

Marilyn Cade: Right, okay. I'll do that while I'm traveling. Thanks.

Steve DelBianco: I want to remind all of you that these comments, Marilyn, could you hit mute please? Thank you. These comments on the recommendations from Work Stream 2 are comments on drafts that have already been approved by the plenary of the CCWG and they've been in development for over a year. So our comments are really focused on what the recommendations are and with respect to approving, disapproving, seeking funding for some of them to Marilyn's point, but I don't think there will be any point at all at adding things that aren't part of the recommendation.

The time to have done that was over the past year when we shared early drafts of those reports and members of the BC served on the sub teams for Work Stream 2. So there doesn't need to be a broad look at say diversity, what there needs is a very narrow look at the recommendations coming forward and whether those recommendations are properly articulated, are they appropriately funded, and are there parts of it that are just unworkable, for instance? So the amount of work to do these BC comments on these drafts is somewhat limited because the scope of I is limited to what the recommendations are.

The second one coming up is for the ICANN office of ombudsman. And these are not dramatic recommendations, they're relatively modest. Jimson was an observer on that group and has volunteered to draft a BC comment. It's also due the 5th of January so Jimson, I'm hoping to work with you to get that circulated by no later than the 20th of December.

The next one is proposed recommendations on staff accountability. Same thing, it's part of Work Stream 2. These are very narrow recommendations with respect to how the staff is accountable to the community, not just to the management that they work for. Andy Mack, you and Stephanie had volunteered to draft for the BC. So again, by December the 20th we'd like to get something circulated.

Okay the next one is recommendations on jurisdiction. This is also Work Stream 2 and it's a really important one since it was the most controversial Work Stream 2 thread that we had. It became an opportunity for some who said we need to move ICANN out of the United States, change it from the nonprofit public benefit corporation, completely rejigger the jurisdictional - and these were folks who were arguing with a philosophical view but not necessarily a legal understanding of how ICANN contracts are adjudicated or where jurisdiction is created by ICANN's doing business and having a presence in multiple regimes around the world.

So what we've come down to - and I worked on this group as well - is a very modest set of recommendations for allowing contracted parties to select the venue they would have for adjudicating their contracts. And some detailed recommendations on ICANN doing the work it needs to do so that sanctions issued by governments don't interfere with the ability of ICANN volunteers to participate in the ICANN process and that those sanctions don't lock out new entrants who might want to be a registrar or a new gTLD registry.

So I think it's a strong set of recommendations and the BC should not have a difficulty I think supporting them. We have several volunteers who have already signed on on that and Claudia Selli is going to probably circulate a first draft next week.

Okay, great. The next one is there are some new sections in the recommendations coming out of the Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review. This is a Review Team doing its work pursuant to the Affirmation of Commitments that is now baked into the ICANN Bylaws. There's a new section in here and they reflect analysis of DNS abuse and the BC did comment on that back in September.

And part of that was also a survey by the International Trademark Association, they want feedback on that and I'm happy to say that Marie Pattullo has already drafted some of the BC comments that she thinks we can make. And I'll work with Marie and circulate that for member review in the next couple of days. And I don't think we have Marie on the call today but she did a great job on a first draft with that.

And then finally operating standards for ICANN specific reviews, we already have volunteers that were going to help on that, Susan, (Fivel), Lawrence, Marilyn and (Waudio), this is not due until the 15th of January, so that means we'll still need to take a look at this because I don't believe our next BC call will occur until the 5th of January. So by then we'll only have 10 days to go. So I will reach out to all of you to see whether we can support the recommendations that were first surfaced in Abu Dhabi because I think that staff has gone a little bit too far in coming up with new operating standards for those reviews.

Susan, thank you for suggesting that you've already started a draft on that. I appreciate that.

That's all for the currently open public comments. The next section of the policy calendar was where I repeated the current state of play on GDPR and Whois. This is really for your convenience especially for new members trying to give you all in one place all the relevant links and a timeline for what we've done on GDPR.

What's been added to that timeline since we last had our discussion was some work on the code of conduct which included Eco, which is the European Internet Association and Thomas Rickert. They held a meeting on Monday of this week where they made an initial draft of their GDPR playbook. Their association is working with the contracted parties primarily but they are opening it up for public comment.

So I circulated over the weekend and again with the policy calendar just their initial draft of the GDPR playbook and data model. And I don't have any notes on that public consultation that occurred in Brussels on the 11th of December. Are there any BC members who were able to listen in on Adobe or attend? I have asked Thomas - go ahead, Margie.

Margie Milam: Yes, hi. This is Margie. I was able to attend the eight hour session. It was - there's a lot to cover but essentially I got the sense from the room that the Eco model is gaining a lot of traction. There's a lot of support on the registrar side and the registry side. The only I think area where they have a disagreement is on whether the registries get thick or thin data. The registries want to be able to get thick data and the registrars don't want to give it to them.

But apart from that it seems as though the Eco model is one that we're going to have to really take seriously and provide comments to because for example ICANN provided the support for that call. During the meeting Jean Jacque from Europe - from ICANN basically said that they were going to send the Eco model directly to Hamilton for review which I found pretty striking in that Eco wasn't even finished with their model and even Thomas was surprised by that comment because he said that they were going to update their model after the feedback that they received.

So I just think that this is something that the BC should be paying a lot of attention to. There is no support at this time that I could tell for a code of conduct. It seems as though that's like the least of their thinking right now. And I think we're going to face quite an uphill battle to get support for the code of conduct. And so that's something we should perhaps all, you know, talk about as to how much energy we want to spend on continuing that front.

But I do think that it may be useful for the BC to come up with a group of people to really decide how to approach the Eco model.

Steve DelBianco: Margie, it's Steve. Question - follow up question for you. A data model isn't really a compliance model and yet what Eco has come up with, do you think it meets the definition of one of the compliance models that Göran said would be available for use in the interim until the RDS working group finishes its work? Is it a compliance model or is it just a data model?

Margie Milam: It's going to be. I think the - part of what they're going to do after this meeting is to be able to submit it under the procedure that ICANN posted. So that is the intent here is to make the model and then to see how much support there is from the contracted parties. At the end of the day they actually asked the group, you know, so, you know, is this a worthwhile model supporting and

most of the people in the room thought it was. So that's why I'm saying it's gaining a bit of traction at this point and it's something that we'll all have to really determine how to address.

Steve DelBianco: Margie, could you clarify for the folks on the phone what is the Eco model say about non law enforcement gaining access to the private information that is available on open Whois today? What does one have to be a verified requestor?

Margie Milam: You have to be an attorney interested in filling a URS or UDRP, so an IP attorney. And they're going to ask for Bar certification so paralegals or professionals in the brand space are not allowed access. But no access for security professionals so if you're in a business, you know, that's fighting spam or malware or phishing there's no access there. Law enforcement does have access.

And then they have some sort of concept of a general clearinghouse to deal with all other purposes. Ad so it's a pretty narrow access beyond just IP lawyers and law enforcement.

Steve DelBianco: Thanks, Margie. Keep an eye on that space and please assist me in circulating any new drafts or communication that come back. I do assume that ICANN is going to make available the transcript from the recorded session and we'll circulate that to BC members as soon as it comes back. If we're successful in ICANN 61 at getting a cross community high interest topic on models for Whois compliance and GDPR, we can bet that Eco then will be a big piece of that conversation. Margie, thanks very much, for that report. If there's anything you captured in writing from your notes or documents that were circulated on the call please circulate them to BC private if you can.

Margie Milam: Sure, I'll go ahead and do that.

Steve DelBianco: Thanks, Margie. Much appreciated. The other element that comes out of GDPR and Whois was the letter that we sent to ICANN CEO and Chair. And I discussed that earlier on the call. And we're going to do our best to get that posted on ICANN's correspondence page.

All right, channel 2 is Council, so, Susan, as our sole councilor for the time being I wanted to turn it over to you to cover the 30th of November call and what you think will be on the agenda for the 21st of December.

Susan Kawaguchi: Thanks, Steve. And I want to thank you for acting as councilor for that call too, that was very helpful to have you participate in the meeting so and you should consider running for councilor the next time there's an open position, you're good at it.

It was a pretty light meeting in some ways. We did have - we adopted the GNSO response to the GAC communiqué from Abu Dhabi. And we did push through a slight amendment that - on regarding the Whois GDPR so that it's - the response made more sense. We also adopted the motion to push IRTP-C to Privacy and Proxy Service Implementation Review Team and what that is is there's a problem with the transfer of a domain name when it is a mass domain or a proxy domain.

So, you know, when - that is removed to do the transfer it was kicking in the 60 day hold which is a problem. So that's moving into the IRT and that will be worked on once the IRT's draft report goes out for public comment and that should happen in January. So when there's a lull then the IRT is going to work on that.

And we confirmed Heather as the representative to the empowered community which is - was just sort of standard. Not a whole lot going on in the next meeting with the - for actual voting. We have adoption of a charter for a budget committee, a standing GNSO budget committee. That's pretty standard. And then it's simply Council discussions one of which is the pause of the SSR2 which is still going on and there is some work going on in the background but not enough to the other SOs and ACs seem to have control of that process, which is pretty disturbing in my opinion. So GNSO is doing what they can to get that moving.

Was there anything else, Steve, that you wanted to report on?

Steve DelBianco: Thanks, Susan. I think that's all I had. I wanted to point out that (David Redell), who's the new NTIA director for ICANN's portfolio, sent a letter two days ago Göran Marby sort of cautioning or chastising the Board for taking the action it did on SSR2. I'm going to post a link to that letter in the chat. And at this point invite Denise if there's anything you'd like to share with us on the current status of things with SSR2?

Denise Michel: Hi, Steve. There's no further action at this point beyond ongoing discussions of the SO and AC chairs of how to address this. GNSO Council chairs have asked for a call with the people they appointed to the team to discuss this matter further, but they're still suspended and still waiting for their path forward from the SO and AC chairs.

Steve DelBianco: We - Denise, it's Steve. I also note that James Gannon, who was the GNSO appointee for the team, tendered his resignation I believe a couple of days ago. And that creates even a larger number of vacancies on a team that could be as big as 21 people. I guess you're down to fewer than 10 at this point, right? I think we're catching Denise on her morning commute right now so it's

probably difficult for her to participate. But, Denise, if there's anything you want to share with us and help us to nudge things along, the trick here for us is that the GNSO is only one of the ACs and SOs and the AC and SO leaders have their finger poised above the resume button on this review team. And that means the GNSO is just one of several voices on this and does not control the process. That's a little ironic but in this case there's not too many more things we can do, although we can press.

Okay, I think that's all we have on work and GNSO and Barbara already covered her part so I guess we go over to you, Andrew, and Jimson for the rest of the agenda.

Andrew Mack: Great. Thanks very much. I know we're running low on time. Jimson, by all means, jump in please.

Jimson Olufuye: Yes, thank you very much, Andrew. This is Jimson speaking. I would like to begin by thanking you, Andrew, for stepping up to coordinate the chairmanship of the BC, thank you for doing this, a lot of work I know.

We got two new members. We do not - I do not have new members announced right now but I do recognize we have some of our new members on this call like (Alaa) and (Fezid), I don't know if you're still in the room. And we also have (John), we also have (John Forman) from A also with us. And Steve DelBianco will say that you're all welcome to contribute to our policy work. (Unintelligible) and you get flowing subsequently. You have to really get at it, you have to make efforts so (unintelligible) encourage you to step up to the part of the policy response work.

Well, we are still in the election mode. I believe everyone will have received the ballot now. If you have yet to receive your ballot please do send an email

to Andrea and Glen, I'm sure they will be able to handle - you should have received your ballot now. And at this period between now and I think is the period to cast our votes.

Then next is on the use of the CROP. CROP is Community Regional Outreach Program, Community Regional Outreach Program. So based on the community and is focused on the particular region, in the North America, in the African or Europe. So we have possibility to use travel support within the region for outreach purposes.

So in FY'18 we have four slots for CROP. And that is work for in region travel support for outreach. And no CROP support for out of region. So the next meeting - ICANN meeting 61 I believe the outreach committee will be work on the - proposal of they are working on the proposal of an outreach in San Juan and members from any - from North America actually take advantage of this opportunity.

In addition to that, that is the CROP, we do have what we call the budget request for leadership development - leadership development. So for every ICANN meeting we have two slots you can use to (unintelligible) to our meetings. So like the San Juan meeting is coming up in March so proposal can go into outreach committee to - for them to select two fields from north American region that (unintelligible) member of the BC to join us. So we have this facility, we use it for the ICANN60 in Abu Dhabi and we have (unintelligible) right now as a member, allowance is (unintelligible) based in Egypt.

And also (unintelligible) for ICANN62 we have two such facility as well. So I don't (unintelligible) to let us know about this facility that the outreach

committee is (unintelligible) over next three months thereabout. And it's coming in FY'18.

Also for your information, ExComm has decided on the (unintelligible) for new members of the BC (unintelligible) for policy activities, so this is - the ExComm has selected Marilyn Cade as the mentor through an ICANN program for (unintelligible) and the mentee is (unintelligible). And also (unintelligible). So there are two funding opportunity in this program that's for the mentor and one mentee. The second mentee will have to seek for funding through some other process. So (unintelligible) this program (unintelligible) and there is no funding for this in the FY '18 budget of the BC.

So we are hopeful that in FY '19, if this program continues we will be able to prepare (unintelligible) because we need more people to be with us, doing the policy work and (unintelligible) across the (unintelligible) in the BC. So I don't know if this makes sense, (unintelligible) I'm open for questions. Thank you very much.

Andrew Mack: Great, Jimson. Thank you very much. So just to recap, to make sure that everybody knows what's going on, we've got a mentor mentee program with Marilyn and (Arinola) that are going to be participating, that's funded by ICANN and we're trying to get more information about their long term plans around that initiative, sounds like a great one and congratulations to the mentor and the mentee and to Marilyn for all the work that she's done to push the cause of mentoring and mentorship in the ICANN community.

We've got the possibility of slots for CROP and as well as the budget request for the leadership development at ICANN, that's leadership development program is another new one. Jimson, do we know - do we know that - what

the - do we know what the timelines are for applications both to CROP and to the leadership development program? Because I want to make sure we have done a very good job, and I want compliment the BC, we have done a very good job of figuring out where ICANN wants to get us resources and taking - taking up those resources. And I want to make sure we've got the right people that can make good use of this. And I want to make sure we take advantage of all of them.

Do we know the timelines for application to CROP? Do we know the timeline for applications to the leadership development?

Jimson Olufuye: Yes, thank you, Andrew. The basic timeline is that every BC nominee was - get to ICANN six weeks before the event. So if we calculated backwards maybe by January 16 we should - or by the first or second week in January we should be through with outreach committees, that means in - not less for me to transmit the details of the - if approved - to ICANN.

Andrew Mack: Great. Well, that's very helpful. And so let - let's make sure that we circulate around to the broader BC membership the information about this new leadership program because I know that that's a new one. I would certainly personally be interested in applying for one of those CROP positions for San Juan as a north American.

And I am hopeful that we can put together a BC business outreach aimed at the San Juan community, we've already started - on my side I've already started reaching out to some people that I know in that community and I'm looking forward to working with other members of the outreach committee to try to make sure that we do something. I think we could get some very nice visibility given Puerto Rico's situation by reaching out to businesses. So I

look forward to speaking with other outreach committee members in the new year.

Are there any other pieces, Jimson, oh I had one other thought about some new members. I have - Andrea, could we ask a favor of you? I have been getting different pieces of communication from different new members and I think it might be worthwhile for us to compile a list of all the people who have joined in the last say year - joined the BC as new members just to make sure that we're in touch with them, that we understand the issues that are most important to them so that we can engage them, try to get them onto some of the comments that we're working on and to pair them up with people who share some of their interests.

I know that there's been some effort to do that already, I'd like to see if we could just make sure that we know everybody who we think is on board and if there are any applications that somehow or another may have either where there's still an issue that we're waiting on or if there's someone who - with whom we haven't had a lot of contact since they joined, would love to try to complete the circle on that and bring everyone more fully into the fold.

So, Andrea, if we could ask you to do that that'd be most helpful. And anything else, Jimson? If not, let's go to new business.

Jimson Olufuye: Yes, that's okay from my side. Thank you.

Andrew Mack: Terrific. Okay. So all I have down on my list for any additional business is the Thursday January 4 meeting from - just to take a quick straw - oh, excuse me, my hand is down. Marilyn, did you want to speak?

Marilyn Cade: Yes, Andrew. Thank you and thanks to all of you. Marilyn Cade speaking. Just quickly if Andrea can just gather the list of BC members who will be at the IGF? I know most of you because I, you know, I look at the participants list on a daily basis. But if you wouldn't mind sending Andrea the information, there's a lot going on at the IGF that's of general interest. And the ICANN wiki booth and also the IGF support association booth might be places for us to get together.

But just also I know there's lots of speakers from our community and I think it's be really good if we could just kind of gather that - gather that rough information and people could just send it to Andrea when you're arriving, when you're leaving, what's your cell phone, what are you doing at the IGF 2017. And are you already invited to the ICANN reception? And if not, let me know and I will forward you the invitation. Thanks. Bye.

Andrew Mack: Great Marilyn, that sounds like a really good idea to try to enhance our connectivity at IGF. I'm going to ask for one more call, is there anybody else who would like to add anything to our agenda for new business? Does the 4th - by show of hands, just in the chat or with the check or the minus, will the 4th work for people? Will most of you be back from vacation? And it's a yes or a no in the chat if you would. Not seeing any votes. Okay, well we can - Andrea, we can send that around just to confirm. But I know that there are some people who take longer leave over the holiday.

Well it is now 11:58, we're out of new business items. I want once again to thank all of the councilors - all of the ExComm members with whom I've had the pleasure and the honor of serving and all of the BC members, it has been a real pleasure and it has been a real honor and I look forward to staying as engaged as ever in the BC and I wish you all whatever holidays you celebrate, if you celebrate any holidays around this time of year, I wish you a happy or a

merry or whatever version of it are meaningful. And by all means, have a great trip to IGF for those that are going to IGF and all the best to all of you. Thank you. I think we're done.

Andrea Glandon: Thank you. Once again, the meeting has adjourned. Operator, if you can please stop all recordings? To everyone else, please remember to disconnect all remaining lines and have a wonderful rest of your day.

END