

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Please go ahead, Jeff.

JEFF OSBORN: Well, I'm still new at this. Do you do the role or do I?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: I think you are doing a roll call. Yep.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. So for Cogent, is Paul here? No Paul. Brad? No, Brad. I saw John. John, you're here?

JOHN AUGENSTEIN: Yes.

JEFF OSBORN: I'm here, and I know Rob is here for ISC. For NASA, Barbara.

BARBARA SCHLECKSER: Yes. I'm here.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

TOM MIGLIN: And Tom's here too.

JEFF OSBORN: Terrific. Okay, Liman? Liman? And Patrick. If we're right, I think we need to change this because I believe it was Hans Petter.

HANS PETTER HOLEN: That is correct. I'm present.

JEFF OSBORN: And Kaveh obviously is not. And I forget the name of the other new representative. Is Paul here?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Not yet on web.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. Eek. There we go. UMD, Karl?

KARL REUSS: Karl is here.

JEFF OSBORN: And Jerry?

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Not a chance. Not there.

JEFF OSBORN: USC ISI, Wes.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Both Wes and Suzanne are here today.

JEFF OSBORN: Wes and Suzanne. Hi, guys. And Howard.

HOWARD KASH: Howard is here.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Ken is here as well.

JEFF OSBORN: [00:01:59 -inaudible]. There you go. And for VeriSign, Brad?

BRAD VERD: Yeah, Brad is here.

JEFF OSBORN: All right. And from WIDE, Hiro?



---

MATT LARSON:: I believe so. Yes.

JEFF OSBORN: Sorry about that. This is a rookie mistake. I'm still new at reading the attendance list. And, Erum? Hello, Erum. I don't hear her. And the staff is here. That's funny. Erum is showing up on the list. Let's presume she's here.

ERUM WELLING: Can you hear me now?

JEFF OSBORN: Yes. There you go.

ERUM WELLING: Okay. Thank you for that. That allows me to check my headphone too. Thank you.

JEFF OSBORN: No worries. The mute button I find is the hardest thing to find on one of these calls. All right. That is that item of the agenda. And next, this is the agenda we've got. We have a lot for one of these meetings, actually. And Ozan, I believe it's you on the draft minutes from the last meeting.

---

OZAN SAHIN: Sure. Thank you, Jeff. Hi, everyone. I circulated draft minutes from January meeting two weeks ago. And we have not received any request for revisions or any questions. This is a vote item for today. So I'll stop here to see if there are any questions around the meetings from January meeting. If not, over to you, Jeff. This is a word item for today.

JEFF OSBORN: All right. I believe we're next on the RSSAC Caucus membership committee. We are recommending an extremely qualified candidate. So SOI is there. You can take a look at that. And I can never remember when the RSSAC Caucus membership committee has recommended somebody anonymously. Can we still hold a vote of the RSSAC Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: So, yes, unanimously, RSSAC Caucus membership committee recommended this candidate, Zahir Qasrawi to RSSAC as a new Caucus member.

JEFF OSBORN: Right. Do we need to hold the vote as the RSSAC beyond the membership committee voting?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes.

---

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. I'll give you a minute to look. And I believe the way this is done is, are there any objections? And has anyone refused? Give you a minute to look at the statement of interest?

STEVE SHENG: Hi, Jeff. I also put the agenda in the chat. I think RSSAC members can click on those links to view the various supporting documentations as well. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, Steve. That's a big help. All right. If there are no objections, nobody is abstaining, then that is passed. So welcome another member to the Caucus. And if we can go back to the agenda. For the second item, for 4B2, Ozan if you don't mind stating what we're doing there, that would be helpful.

OZAN SAHIN: Definitely. Go ahead.

JEFF OSBORN: Yeah. I'm recused from this because Ray Bellis is actually my direct report. So I didn't want to have input on this.

OZAN SAHIN: Sure. Happy to go over this item. So I think, again, two weeks ago, RSSAC Caucus membership committee working with the RSSAC Admin Committee identified a shortlist of RSSAC Caucus members for the 2022

---

RSSAC Caucus member recognition. This is for their outstanding efforts in 2022. And the membership committee shared the names of four Caucus members in the shortlist. And if you want to go to SOIs of each of these members. Afifa Abbas was shortlisted mainly because of her service as the fellowship program mentor appointed by RSSAC. She has been doing that since 2021. And the committee only heard good things about her service in this fellowship program at committee, and as a mentor. And that's why she was shortlisted.

Anupam Agrawal, on the other hand led the RSSAC 47 version 2 work party. This work party closed in 2022. And Anupam was work party leaders, so he was shortlisted for his efforts leading this work party. And Ray Bellis, as you may know, has been leading RSSAC 002 version 5 work party, which still ongoing. And this work party started in August 2022. And Ray was also a major contributor to the RSSAC 47 version to work party, which was led by Anupam.

And finally, Amir Qayyum served as the RSSAC liaison to ICANN NomCom three consecutive years in 2020, 2021 and 2022. And NomCom requires significant amount of volunteer time. So in addition to that, Amir also served as an ICANN fellowship selection committee member from RSSAC since 2019. So he was also shortlisted. We have four candidates here. And if any RSSAC members would like to add any names to the list, I guess, this is the right moment. So if there's any discussion around this for candidates, I'll stop here to let you start that. As a reminder last year, there was a shortlist of three RSSAC Caucus members and eventually RSSAC decided to recognize all of the three. Therefore, there was no work needed. But I'll just stop here to see if you there are any discussions on these four candidates. Thanks.

---



JEFF OSBORN: Ken.

KEN RENARD: Thanks. This is Ken. Just being on the RSSAC Caucus membership committee, one that kind of came up with this list. I just wanted to put my full support behind Ray just because he's done so much excellent work, especially on RSSAC 002, and so many other things. So that's one of strong support for me.

JEFF OSBORN: So to be clear here, Ozan, if you could present what our choices are or either voting for someone here or for a number of them, that would be helpful.

OZAN SAHIN: Again, this is not precedented because RSSAC didn't take the way to take a vote last year, but I have a vote link ready if RSSAC would like to start an online vote to come to a decision. So I may share the link and to start an electronic vote.

JEFF OSBORN: Well, if we're going to have a vote for that online, then we can all look forward to doing our research then and taking care of it. So item 3, Ozan?

---

OZAN SAHIN: Sure. There's another selection process going on. This is the representative that ICANN fellowship program selection committee. And we have three candidates there, Hafiz Farooq, and Ali Hussein, and Gaurav Kansal. I think Hafiz and Gaurav are fairly newer members of RSSAC Caucus. And one thing I'd like to mention is that Ali Hussein is already serving another liaison role, which he is the liaison to the NextGen at ICANN mentoring committee. So he's already the representative to the NextGen at ICANN mentoring committee. But this particular appointment will be for the ICANN fellowship program, which is selection committee, which is a different program. And we can also go ahead and start an electronic vote to have an RSSAC Caucus decision on that.

JEFF OSBORN: That would be good. Thank you. Speaking of votes, before we move to item 5, I think I forgot to run a vote on accepting the draft minutes from the prior meeting. So if there are any objections, please state them now, or if anybody is abstaining. Otherwise I believe that's a unanimous vote to accept the draft minutes. So on to item 5. Ozan.

OZAN SAHIN: Thanks, Jeff. ICANN76 will be held in March in Cancun Mexico and there's been a recent announcement by ICANN org regarding the registration deadlines and health and safety guidelines for the ICANN76 meeting. So let me drop the link to this announcement in the chat if you'd like to read in detail. But mainly, if you are planning and attending in person, the deadline for that, the deadline for registration

---

is 8 of March. So please make sure to register via the link on this announcement before 8 of March if you are planning on attending in person. And there are a few more ICANN save the updates on that one, is that unlike the previous two meetings with in person component after the pandemic break, wearing a mask will not be a requirement this time, but it will be highly recommended in Cancun. Thank you, Jeff.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thanks, Ozan. Can you put the agenda back up? RSS information session. There's been something going on in the background that I want to spend time on in Mexico. And the issue is when I showed up the first admin meeting, we were scheduled to present to the GAC on what it is the RSSAC does, what the root server system is. And it occurred to me that I think we're really underprepared to explain who we are and what we do to a nontechnical audience. I used the example that I've been in the Internet business for 40 years and my very intelligent educated parents have no idea what I do. Neither does my wife, neither does my friends. So we needed something where we could explain to an on technical audience what it is we do. And I don't think we've really done that at least not in the six years I've been involved with RSSAC.

So let me put up a short slide deck trying to explain what I'd like to spend 90 minutes on in Cancun. Can somebody put? There we go. Second slide. Second slide. Basically, we live in a bubble where we really know how this all works. We understand how the system works. We understand what the RSOs do. We know how DNS works. And the problem, next slide, is it's really a bubble and an echo chamber. And outside of it, I think, a couple of things. One, the RSS is

underappreciated. You know, the fact that we have done 30 years without an outage, there are 1600 points out there that all of these recursive servers are very well served by root instances, the variety of ways in which 12 of us operate this mean there really aren't points of obvious failure. And there's a huge amount of value that we provide.

Next slide. Besides being underappreciated, I think we're misunderstood. I think there are people who think the roots of our system somehow controls the Internet or its contents or decide what does or doesn't get seen. I've even heard people who decide that we come up with the PLDs, which is obviously ridiculous. So last slide. Last slide. Outside of this bubble where we all talk, where a lot of the decisions are going to get made. And I kept finding myself sitting in GWG meetings, hearing that we need to be transparent and trusted. And I realized it's hard to be transparent when you're invisible. 7

So I think we really need to come up with a message or the increasingly less technical people who are going to make decisions about what it is we do. I think it needs to be a simple consistent message, I think we need to explain this to business people, policy people, boards of directors, and the public at large. And the interesting thing to remember is we're not saying that people aren't intelligent or educated. It's just they're not intelligent and educated about our obscure little slice of the world.

So I'm hoping that what we can do is start a discussion in Cancun about what it is the root server system and RSSAC have done to date and what we are like now, while the GWG goes out and tells the world what this system can become. It strikes me that there's a big missing piece of the

---

story when we describe what we can become without making it obvious what we have done. So I don't want to tie up a huge amount of this meeting, but I wanted to tee that up so that we have a session in Cancun and people who understand what I'm trying to do.

The primary thing there is I think every single one of us recognizes we have very smart educated people we deal with every day who have no idea what we do. And a lot of them effectively are going to have decisions in the future on how the system works, and we need to be able to explain better than we do. And I'll open the floor for comment or input or questions. Russ, I see your hand up.

RUSS MUNDY:

Thanks, Jeff. I agree with you, with your general statement that we don't have a good way to explain the root server system in a way that is easily understood and appreciated by broader world. And this is very true, I think, even in inside of ICANN. I would like to suggest that-- we have had similar problems in other related space, and the one that comes to my mind, particularly, is DNSSEC. And we haven't done any of the DNSSEC for everybody sessions since the pandemic started. But prior to that, there were, like, 10 years, and we're still doing DNSSEC in security workshops. But people didn't come to those unless they're already deeply entrenched in DNS or at least wanted to get a flavor of it. So that's where we came up with the DNSSEC for everybody concept.

And I know it is absolutely not a parallel to this problem, but I'm thinking that as people looking at and think about what we might be able to be assembled for the Root server system. Perhaps looking at

some of the things that we did for the DNSSEC for everybody session. And one of the things that comes to my mind is the cartoon show that we came up with. As you were talking, I was going to scramble around and try to find a link for some of the past sessions that we've had so people can look at it. But I can find that later or maybe Andrew has it off the tip of his tongue. I don't know. He's so good at finding stuff in the ICANN site. Anyway, that's what I wanted to suggest, is that people like at least take a look at and think about the DNSSEC for everybody's session to see if there is a parallel of some sort that could be put together for the RSS. Thank you.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thanks, Russ. Rob?

ROB CAROLINA:

Yeah. Thanks, Jeff. I just wanted to ask for a point of clarification, which is on the agenda. On today's agenda, this shows up sort of as two different items. And previously, in looking at the RSSAC's schedule, I think there may be sort of like two different scheduling slots involved. One called the, in fact, I'm looking at it now, the RSS Information session, and then a work session two. If I'm reading the calendar correctly, and I'm happy to be corrected on this, or actually asking for clarification, it looks as though this task that you just described is being scheduled on the morning of day two, which is at 60 minutes in length. So a 60 minute session for this, and then there's a 90 minute session on day four described as RSS Information Session. I'd just be grateful if somebody could clarify. Is that the intention?

JEFF OSBORN:

Good catch, Rob. My understanding of that is the day two Block one session was one that I wanted to have put in there to work on this issue that I just went through on the slides. The RSS information session on Tuesday is something that's been done previously. And Andrew has a really good, although deeply technical slide deck of about 39 slides that he has given a number of times. It's generally pretty well attended. Several of the root server operators tend to show up and there are questions and answers at the end.

And in a wildly optimistic moment about a month ago, I think I might have said if we get far enough on this simple messaging, we could maybe open the RSS information session with a simplified version before going on to the technical one. But I think over the last month, we've realized that's way too much to bite off. So if I'm not speaking for Andrew, I think the day four block to RSS information session will be Andrew doing a repeat of the session that he's previously done at a lot of ICANN meetings. If I can jump to staff, Andrew, does that make sense to you?

ROB CAROLINA:

Yeah. You pretty much got it. Only an item on this meeting's agenda to talk about that RSS information session. So what we did with the agenda is we went down to 5C. And when we're done with this item, we can go back up to 5B.

---

JEFF OSBORN: I apologize for the rookie mistake. I'm messing things.

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: No worries.

JEFF OSBORN: We'll do that after this. Thank you, Andrew. Wes.

WES HARDAKER: So, Jeff, you and I have talked about this topic a lot together and I already supported already. I think we definitely need to do this. The more I've been thinking about it, the more tricky, I think, implementation will actually be. Because we'll have to, with a finite period of time, figure out how to give enough background so that people can understand the issues and concerns that they might be interested in and talking about it at the same time filling them in with enough information, they can actually hold that discussion.

To give you a concrete example from my life yesterday, I had a tech come out from ATNT to give me a static address. He did that. I need to reverse DNS name. He said, no. I don't know how to do that. Contact tech support. So I contacted tech support. They said, oh, well, here's your primary DNS resolver addresses. This is what you need. I said, no, no. I need to add a DNS entry for the reverse tree yada, yada, yada. Have you tried 8.8.8.8? And these are the supposed technical experts. So we have to think of where we're starting from and expect that they have no knowledge, which means something like some sort of skip or some sort of cartoon thing, like, Russ was talking about. And figure out



---

where that line of, we stop here. Right? And until they dive into a question that they need increased technical levels. Like, where is that overview? Because we can't do, of course, the entire DNS ecosystem in under an hour even if we tried. Let alone and then get to a policy discussion.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks for the input, Wes. This is not a trivial task and this is not going to be simple. Suzanne?

SUZANNE WOOLF: Yeah. Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, it's complicated and there are a number of ways to approach it. One might be to make sure we're not deciding in a bubble what needs to go outside the bubble. I'm sure staff and all of us have had feedback over the many years about what people that don't have the technical background really want to know and sort of trying to collate some of that would probably be good.

JEFF OSBORN: Really good points, Suzanne. Thank you. Ken?

KEN RENARD: I want a second what Suzanne said about that feedback loop is really important. We can try some of these out on various audiences and see how they go and such. The one thing that we've been discussing so far on this is not only how do you get the message to somebody who's not familiar with DNS, but even just an overall strategy of how we should

---

portray the root server system and RSOs. Even taking a play from the GWG book and going back to principles and going from that perspective and deciding, what's our strategy for messaging on the root server system? And another possible topic that to bring up in Cancun is even could we start an ICANN learn effort as well to do this? That would be one way of doing that. So thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: That's a great idea. Suzanne, is that an old hand? Thank you.

SUZANNE WOOLF: Sorry about that.

JEFF OSBORN: Adiel.

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: Yeah. So sorry to chime in. I'm observer, but it happened that this topic may share something. I think the issue is real. And I just want to say that from technical engagement perspective at ICANN, we'll be more than happy to work with you on those issue because they are real. They are thing that we see on the ground. And we really want to be able to engage with the RSSAC on the root server part. The other part from Wes example also is something interesting because usually, we don't engage on DNS technical basic in region like North America very deeply because we support that the environment is mature people who are experts in what they're doing, but more and more we are realizing that

---

new people coming out from technical background don't have a deep understanding of the DNS, and that is also an area where we're trying to get a little bit more involved in. So, yeah. I mean, I'm very glad to hear the discussion. But we'll be happy to engage and work with you.

JEFF OSBORN:

I appreciate the offer. Thank you so much. Anyway, I don't want to tie up the entire meeting. We still have an agenda to go. But I think this is going to be a very valuable discussion in Mexico, and I'd ask you all to give it some thought. It's something really easy to do in your own life. Try to explain to somebody what it is we do. Erum.

ERUM WELLING:

Yes. So I don't want to take up too much more time on this, as you mentioned. But just what I'd mention there's also a cultural aspect. I think we need to also think about is that sometimes people have questions running through their minds especially on the non-technical side, and perhaps asking a question in front of a large audience or whatever audience was there is not. So I guess we need to perhaps think about offering up where there's actually, say whatever initial simple messaging we get across that there's actually this concept of where there's perhaps multiple route operators or whoever on the floor.

And people can simply say there's five of them and then people can go up to them individually and ask questions because it's just other aspect. And it could be used to answer questions. It can also be used to gather questions for another round in DC when the June comes around. So just

---

a thought that sometimes we can offer up some other opportunities for people to get information besides the usual listen to the speaker and you got two minutes to ask a question in front of everybody. Just a thought. Thank you.

JEFF OSBORN: That's a great idea. Thank you, Erum. Wes?

WES HARDAKER: Yeah, one final comment. Following Suzanne's good suggestion of inside and outside the bubble, one thing that we might consider to brainstorm about is get some hypothetical of discussions that we know might be happening or questions we received from outside. And then use that as a, what do we need to fill in to people's heads before having this particular discussion that we know might be coming.

JEFF OSBORN: It's an excellent idea, Wes. The way I was putting it was I was imagining. we were scheduled to present this to the GAC in Mexico. And I think it's wildly premature, and so I asked to delay that, and we'll probably do it in Hamburg instead in the fall. But my thought was a very intelligent educated person who attends this session when they go home to their country, when somebody asks what does this root server system do? I would love to imagine what is their sentence or two they would say. because currently, I bet I have no idea. So that's our bar to start from.

---

All right. Moving along, we're going to go back to B. Andrew, do you feel comfortable on this? You and I didn't talk about this nearly as much as we should have?

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: No. I do. We did actually. So this is about the RSS information session, which I and Ozan normally give at every ICANN meeting. And we've been talking on the admin committee about having RSOs give this presentation as opposed to staff. Now for a bit of history, a while back, we did have RSOs give this presentation. And then we switch to having staff do it, and then just having the RSOs available in the audience to answer questions. And I think with this push to make the RSS more visible than along with RSOs and I guess, also make the RSS more personable and show that there's actually people behind it, like actual humans. It would make sense to have RSOs give this presentation. And I guess, that's the question that the admin committee has for this larger group. Is that a good idea? And if it is a good idea, then we'll need some volunteers. So that's the second part of this. But first, let's open up the floor to get some responses on the idea that the RSS information session be given by RSOs. And, Ken, I see your hands up.

KEN RENARD: Thanks. Just one thing I've sort of been in support of RSOs people were humans, were not in cages, locked up with big signs that say don't feed the RSOs. So I think this is something that'll help connect and humanize us. And I will volunteer to do some part of this presentation if others come in as well. Thanks.

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: Okay. Well, seeing no descent, I guess we're going to go ahead and do it this way. And we have one volunteer with Ken. And staff and the admin committee can work on finding other volunteers. Does that make sense, Jeff? Move forward like that?

JEFF OSBORN: I think it does. And to put context on that as well. The reason these two issues were conflated is I think eventually, maybe as soon as in Hamburg, we could open with a very simple root server system for nontechnical people and then follow it up with the deeper technical chart. And I think that might be something that would really be helpful for the whole community. But it's premature to do certainly in Mexico and probably in DC. So I think Hamburg in the fall is the likely target for that. And I'll volunteer to do that part when that happens. I think Ken is much better suited to do the technical one that you do.

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: Okay. Sounds good. I'll finalize the-- well, not finalize. I'll finalize my draft of the presentation for Cancun and send it around to the list so that people can provide edits to it. I've changed it a lot from last time because just based on feedback I've been getting. So it used to be in PowerPoint, for example, now I have it in Google slides, and I took that opportunity to really hopefully stiff it up a bit. But I'll include the old one as well for comparison sake. And you should expect that for me this week. So with that, it's back to you, Jeff.

JEFF OSBORN: That's terrific. Thank you very much. I think Ken wouldn't help if somebody wants to tag team. So if somebody else wants to volunteer, please reach out to Ken or me or staff, and we can talk about that before Mexico. Is that it, Andrew, anything else?

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: That's it. And I see that Wes has volunteered as well.

JEFF OSBORN: Oh, excellent. Excellent. I love listening to West present. Next, we have an outside content. We were going to have this take up one of our very few available sessions in Mexico, and Adiel was kind enough to show up here and explain the KINDNS initiative that ICANN has put together. And I think without further ado, I will hand over the mic. Adiel?

ADIEL AKPLOGAN: Yeah. Thank you, Jeff. I have a few slides. Okay, so I don't know if you can see my screen.

JEFF OSBORN: Yes.

---

ADIEL AKPLOGAN:

Yes. Thank you. So I have only 10 minutes, but we have 10 minutes for this. So I'm not going to go into all of the detail. I know most of you have already seen this presentation or variation updates. So KINDNS is an initiative that we have launched at ICANN a few months ago to actually promote DNS operational best practices. This is very much focused on DNS operation. It doesn't touch on registry or registrar out of ICANN ecosystem, but more mostly the technical part of this. It emerged from some of our observation, engaging with operator in general and the recurring type of question that we get in our engagement.

So we've worked with the community of about six months to try to identify what are the different categories that we can cover in this. And we came up with five overall category, two for authoritative operator and three for resolver operator, and one overall system securing and handling the system best practices. So those practices are published now on KINDNS.org, which is the website where that's probably initiative. In addition to the practice, we have also public guideline on how those practices can be implemented along with a self-assessment tool. And the self-assessment tool is something interesting for us because, one it allow operator to kind of see where they stand in implementing these practices in general. But it also will help us to see what people are saying there, what are the need, and so on.

So operator, then, based on their self-assessment, and [00:40:35 - inaudible] join the initiative by becoming a member and showing us their support, how they implement the practice and becoming kind of a goodwill and better therefore for the initiative. So we've launched this in September last year. We had the opportunity to have a boot during



the ICANN meeting in Kuala Lumpur, which allows us to raise our awareness and also get feedback from the community.

So where are we on this? Today, we have about 500, a little bit more now, people who actually took the self-assessment of their DNS operation practice. We have effectively about 15 member who formally join KINDNS. That mean they have submitted to have their practice, how they implement them. We ask questions to assess. And all those participants are list on the website. It's for us very good to see practically the self-assessment path and people who kind of express interest. We had more than thousand people who look at the self-assessment tool, only 500 take it up to the end, which is interesting for us for the short period of time that this has been up.

So what have we seen from those self-assessments taken by people? We have the possibility of using anonymous data to analyze the information that we get. Something that we have noticed for instance in one of the questions question is why are you taking the self-assessment? Which is interesting to see that it's taken the reason why people take the assessment is to use the result to convince their manager to implement those best practices. For me, it's been the correct thing because it shows that there is an information gap there for probably that we need to look at how to help those technical people actually to better scale the importance of securing DNS operation to their manager, which is something I found interesting.

All that data that we have been able to collect, which are not that surprising, for instance, is that most of the people who feel the self-assessments are from around authoritative server, or both. So that is

---

also something expected. And if we dig down through the authoritative server operator, many or the majority 54% run authoritative server for a TLD, TLD 25 and both 21. So again, that give us an idea of what our stakeholders are and what are the people who are looking to this. So we have other information, first thing information. The type of recursive resolver that people run, private recursive resolver, what are the practice that's they have implemented and not surprisingly for private resolver, [00:44:35 -inaudible], for instance is where we have less people who implement that, same for share private. Share private is mostly ISPs and people who share their resolver in a more limited group of users.

Contrary to that, when we go to a public resolver, we see that [00:45:01 -inaudible] is more frequently implemented by public resolver operator. For instance, which show the different public resolver pay more attention probably to privacy because they know that their customer are more interested in that, which is not the case for private resolver operator or shared private resolver operator for instance.

So where are we now? We are moving continue to improve the project and program. We are working to automate the enrollment and all the tools that need to manage the enrollment. We got a lot of feedback about translating the website and the tool in to other language so people can use them. So that's something we are looking into. And as I mentioned, the self-assessment from today is based mostly on question and answer. So we trust people to tell us exactly what they are doing. But the next phase is to actually develop more elaborate tool that we have to phase one that allows to see thing from outside, thing that we can measure from where we are. And although that can be measure

---

internally, like, those who are self-assessing their operation. That will help us actually have a little bit more detail about what we are seeing, how people are implementing the practices, and what is the demographic of those using the tool.

We are also discussing with other similar program or tool. Like, manners, you may have noticed that this is a kind of verification of manner for DNS. So working with manner as well to chip out. We can complement each other in this this work. Zoom master as well. We have engaged with them to have a more tailored version that can be used for KINDNS. They have express interest in that. So we're in discussion with them on that. We are also doing some of the work at the back end, but I'm not going to bore you with those things. From the community side, of course, continuing engagement and also using KINDNS in many of the technical training that we do around DNS, like all to print them within the KINDNS processes. So KINDNS become like the umbrella that drive some of our capacity building activity, generally.

So we are also based on the different feedback now thinking about version 2 of KINDNS. This is still at the development level. Adding some new practice or seeing if they really matter, like, RLL. It's not covered in in KINDNS right now, but it's probably something that we need to add based on what operators think how critical they think it is. One aspect that's maybe of interest to you guys is when you have a split responsibility running authoritative server and you don't have control over the zone file content. In the practice for authoritative server, we have some practice related to, or we make sure that your zone file, the content of your zone file is protected. But if you don't have control over

---

---

that content, it could be difficult. So we may need to click that somehow.

Access reliability. That is another feedback we got. Do we have to add stuff like access to your DNS service? Has to be your DNS operation. Has to be accessed over IPDP as well, a PTI for the prefix that you use to provide your DNS service. Those are thing that we have we add to the current practice and maybe interesting to look at for the rest. We are still looking at adding a little bit more transparency or engagement from the community team that will help us in driving the project going forward, including all the assessments and so forth.

So this is going to be what we will be focused on this year, and hopefully, we'll be able to get into something reasonable for the version 2 of that. So that's it. The website is on. We can follow. And we usually use the twitter feed to announce new operator that join. The mailing is also open where you only post evolution and question related to the practice related to this. And that's where most of those practice as well were discussed before it went public. So that is it. Happy to take questions and provide any further details if needed. Thank you.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thanks, Adiel. Are there any questions? Thank you very much for your time. I appreciate. I'm sure everybody found that informative. Moving along to item 7 work items, Duane, how are things on RSSAC 001.

---

STEVE SHENG:

Jeff, Duane sent his apologies. So I will give an update. So the RSSAC 001 work party is tasked to produce a second version on the service expectations of resolver operators. The work party has been working on the kind of a regular cadence. And at our last meeting, we have all but finish updating the RSSAC 001 version 2 document.

I'm going to put the link of the document to the chat so that this is for your awareness and you can take a look at it. I mean, the key updates are really applying the new lexicon in RSSAC 26, went through the document for editorial changes. And then the work party went through each of the expectations one by one. And in some cases, they combine some expectations for clarity. In other cases, some of the expectations were dropped because they were deemed not feasible to implement. So there were quite a few changes. And when we send the document out to the RSSAC Caucus, we will also send the accompanying red line so you can view what's changed.

The other thing is the RSSAC 001 is related to RFC 7720 update. So what will happen probably is we will send the stable version of RSSAC 001 to the RSSAC Caucus for review. And once that review cycle completed, we will just put a document there, and then we'll wait for the ITF to update the RFC 7720. And when that update is finalized, then the two documents are published in tandem, which it was done last time as well. So that's a quick update on RSSAC 001 version 2. Happy to take any questions?

---

JEFF OSBORN: Questions? Anyone? Thanks for picking that up, Steve. Ken. RSSAC 002.

KEN RENARD: Thanks. 002 work party is progressing. I just put the link to that document, working document in the chat. There was some review from non RSO participants. We went through that most recent session. There were a few suggestions made that were deemed to be outside the scope of RSSAC 002. There was some clarification in the text on a specific meaning of bar code to include the bits and then EDNS0 piece.

And the other thing was that the RSSAC 001 and 002 were sort of thought to be intertwined or connected somehow. I think between the two work parties, we've kind of broken them apart so that there's no dependence on each other, and they can essentially progress as work parties independently now. Next meeting will be on the 23rd, so next Thursday, I believe. And welcome to join. We'll look at the document and make some suggestions in there. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, Ken. Any questions for Ken. Steve, on work planning for 2023.

STEVE SHENG: Yeah. Thanks. So as I shared, and I briefly went over this at the last meeting, the admin committee gave some thoughts on potential work items for RSSAC and RSSAC Caucus in 2023. And historically, the admin committee has been collecting items whenever they were raised on a Caucus list, by Caucus members, by RSSAC members. We put them on

the list. Every year we review this list and provide the admin committee's thought on that. So since I shared with the RSSAC last time, I saw a couple comments from RSSAC members, particularly from you, Jeff. So thank you for that. But other than that we did not see much comments. So unless there's disagreements with the recommendation from the admin committee, which is in the red portion of the document that will go with the Admin committee's suggestion. So take a look. And if you have any feedback either writing on a document, if you think certain work items that the RSSAC should embark on, please voice those out as well.

Now I do want to talk about one item. There is a draft statement of work by our RSSAC Caucus member. This is was suggested by RSSAC Caucus member baseline models for outlier and anomalies detection in the DNS room server system. I think what the Caucus member, what they're trying to get is, how do you measure, how do you know when something, there's an anomaly going on. Right? So I think that's the basic question. How do you know if there's something wrong going on? And what the approach-Ozan if you could scroll down a little bit- that the Caucus member proposes is, I think using some machine learning techniques.

So first of all, there needs to be a collection of data in place. And then to use machine learning algorithms and modeling purposes so that some of these can be identified. So I think that's kind of the rough direction this is going. You know, the goal is to see when can some of those be detected? So with that, I'll leave it open for questions to think about, for you to think about.

---

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thanks, Steve. What would the natural next step in this process be?

STEVE SHENG: I think there could be a few things. One thing is I know that we have RSSAC 47, and I think probably the RSSAC 002 data will not be fit for this purpose. But then maybe some of the RSSAC 47 data can be used for this. But right now, that is in the process of being implemented. We hope to get an update from Paul Hoffman next month. But one thing we talk about in the admin committee is we wait at least for six months to have the RSSAC 47 data ready before anything can be done. So that's one thing. There's a data issue. The second is I think RSSAC may need to take a harder look at whether this approach works using machine learning approach to define baseline, what is normal, what is good, and what is anomaly. So there's a lot of research here as well. So I think there are those two components that would drive the decision on whether to take on this work. Thanks.

JEFF OSBORN: Okay. So no action required today. Wes.

WES HARDAKER: Yeah. You know, with my research head on, this type of work is always interesting. And I guess more importantly, with my researchers and RSO head on, I'm always eager to try and find ways to support directions that people want to take stuff. That being said, it's unclear to me what the output of this group would be in order to create an RSSAC

---



document. Right? The results don't seem like it. I think the desire to at least wait a while before we actually start getting data would be good too. But in the end, I'd like to encourage your work. It almost seems like we need, like, a special interest group, or some statements saying it doesn't make sense to start an official working group about this since we don't know what the output would be from an RSSAC publication point of view. But we encourage you to seek contributors and fellow members of the RSSAC Caucus that are eager to work on this. And even technically, we could even create a mailing list or let them work on the Caucus mailing list or something like that to promote the use of research.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thanks, Wes. Ken?

KEN RENARD:

Thanks. Yeah, what Wes said in my much smaller research hat than Wes', this seems like more of a brainstorming type thing for now. It would be interesting to get together with the whiteboard and some interested folks. You know, the idea that this might actually require additional measurements or processing on the behalf of RSOs. You know, a little bit skeptical to push this right now, at least starting off, making it optional. So interesting, but I don't think quite ready for a work party. Maybe more of a bar time discussion or ICANN or ITF sidebar?

---

JEFF OSBORN: Thanks, Ken. Steve, back on the potential work items list, I don't even know what to call it, but this thing that I'm trying to spend an hour on where we come up with the ability to communicate what we do better to a nontechnical audience at some point that needs to end up on a list like this. But again, I'm not calling.

STEVE SHENG: Yeah. So I think you are exactly right. We should add that item to that list.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you very much. Anything else on work items? And if we get back to the agenda, we are the reports. Oh, good grief. I don't think I realized we're supposed to do something. Hey, Ken. What do we do now?

KEN RENARD: The only thing I wanted to mention here is that we will have a session at ICANN76 on security incident reporting. There is a draft, SOW out there. This is really it's for discussion. It's a tough one. Take a look at it and come with thoughts to that session at ICANN. That's all I had. Thanks. It is block 3.

JEFF OSBORN: Yeah. If I can throw in my three cents worth. I've been spending a lot of time in the last month or so with both staff and the people I've been able to run into. I really would appreciate any input you've got on trying

---

to come up with a way to describe what we do to a nontechnical audience. I'm actually taking Liman out for a steak dinner tonight and trying to figure out what his thoughts are on the subject. I'd really love to hear from everybody before we end up with something even in an alpha state. So thanks for that. Wes, as liaison to the ICANN board, what do you have for us?

WES HARDAKER:

Not a huge amount since the last time I reported. I'll note that hot topics for the border are still things like SubPro and WHOIS disclosure system. We started our new CEO search. Sally has, of course, come on board and has done a great job as an interim so far. There is a chair blog report, which I'll drop a link to the net that sort of summarizes what we did in the workshop in January. But other than that, nothing in particular to report.

JEFF OSBORN:

Thank you. And Ken news from the CSC?

KEN RENARD:

Yeah. So usually, the CSC report is very boring. All metrics met. In my short tenure, this is an exciting time because there was one metric that wasn't met by .04%. And that was the WHOIS availability. Apparently, some denial of service happened. And they're adding some capabilities, some more servers, I believe, to that service. So other than that, things are going well. Nothing really with respect to the root server system that needs to be addressed. Thanks.

---

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you, ken. Daniel.

DANIEL MIGAULT: Hi. I mean, mostly regarding RZERC, we had a meeting in January where we mostly discussed the previous recommendation from RSSAC 003, which is the plan about to introduce the zone MD. So I forward that document, but that's mostly being discussed, I think, in [01:06:57 - inaudible]. So just to make a word that it has been presented at RZERC. The other item we have in RZERC is the charter review. We have completed that task, and I suspect that the Danielle and team will contact RSSAC for a feedback session at some point. But I also sent the draft charter. So if you have any concern, any comment, just let me know. And just get prepared when Danielle and team will make that feedback session.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you. Does that cover the IAB as well?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Yeah. I mean, there was nothing from the IAB side.

JEFF OSBORN: Fair enough. Thank you, Russ.

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you, Ken. I don't have a whole lot today, getting ready for our RSSAC SSAC section of the meeting so far. I haven't received any

---

additional or a request for additional different information. So we'll be following our normal set of presentations there. The DNSSEC security and workshop is just about together, but if anyone did have burning interest to present something new and hot and whatever for that, we do have, I think, a slot left on there. And I see a hand from Wes. Is that for me?

WES HARDAKER: It is for you. Are you able to talk much about the DNS abuse report that SSAC has started producing? May be of interest to this group too.

RUSS MUNDY: Well, there is work ongoing about it. But I don't think it's quite far enough along yet to be discussed externally. I will see if we can get perhaps a more in-depth output from it even if it's not published by them at our joint meeting.

WES HARDAKER: Okay. Another board received an early copy and it was TLP clear, so I thought I'd bring it up.

RUSS MUNDY: Okay. It may be closer than I thought. So okay. Good. Thank you, Wes. Thanks for checking. Anybody else? No. Okay, thanks.

KEN RENARD: Thank you. I appreciate it. James.

JAMES MITCHELL: Yeah. Hi. Not much to say. I can't convey more selective members for the design team for the root zone algorithm rollover. So expect an announcement about that this week. They'll be meeting throughout the rest of this half year. There's recommendations like the following of the earlier case scale rollover. I'll keep you informed as the progress of that. That's about it.

KEN RENARD: Excellent. Thank you very much. I believe Duane isn't here. So is there anybody involved in groups who's on main chain or I think not? Skipping ahead. Although it says all, I'm going to put Brad on the spot for the GWG report.

BRAD VERD: Thanks, Jeff. Not much to report here other than we continue work on the candidate principles. Making lots of progress there, and we have a number of sessions scheduled for Cancun. I hope to make even more progress there.

OJEFF OSBORN: Looking forward to it. Thanks, Brad. Let's see, the next meeting will be in person, in Cancun. Looking forward to that. Is there any other business? Well, if not, we'll give you back 15 minutes.

---

HIRO HOTTA: This is Hiro.

OJEFF OSBORN: Hello, Hiro. Yes, please.

HIRO HOTTA: Yes. I have a small plate. As a NomCom member appointed by RSSAC, let me give you an update about NomCom. In KL, there were a bunch of long team meetings for 2023 NomCom. As NomCom meetings deal with confidential and personal contents, generally, there are no recordings available. That means members usually cannot skip NomCom meetings. So I couldn't join all of the SSAC and RSS GWG meetings in KL. In Cancun, administration will be the same, so I will miss some RSSAC and RSS GWG meetings.

After KL meetings, there are several Zoom meetings to meet with the Board chair and each organization's representatives to know more about who the Board, PTI, GNSO, ccNSO, and ALAC want to have from NomCom selection. And the announcement on 11th January, announcement made by ICANN saying, apply now for ICANN and PTI leadership positions. Now I'm reaching out to you. The application period is until 23rd March. Around one month to go. We still have more than five weeks to the deadline. Please consider you or your colleagues to apply for ICANN Board, PTI Board, GNSO councilor, ccNSO councilor or ALAC regional representatives. Thank you. That's my message.

---

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you, Hiro. I wonder whether we shouldn't enter heroes reporting on the NomCom to the standard list of reports going forward. Would you mind if we ask you monthly for an update, Hiro?

HIRO HOTTA: Yeah. Maybe sometimes I cannot say anything here, but let me put my update regularly on the agenda.

JEFF OSBORN: That's okay. A lot of us have nothing to say some months. So I think that would be fine. So is there any other business? Anybody want to fill me in if I forgot something? Otherwise, thank you all very much. I look forward to seeing most of you in Mexico next month. Have a good day. Take care.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**