

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to APRALO Policy Forum call taking place on Thursday 8<sup>th</sup> of December 2022 at all 06:00 UTC.

On our call today, we have Shreedeeep Rayamajhi, Ghayoor Bawary, Suhaidi Hassan, Jahangir Hossain, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Ayesha Iftikhar, Udeep Baral, Kashif Adeel, Priyatosh Jana, Winthrop Yu, Satish Babu, Nabeel Yasin, Samik Kharel, Asyraf Mierza, Amrita Choudhury, and Bibek Silwal as well.

We have received apologies from Gopal Tadeballi and Holly Raiche.

From staff, we have Gisella Gruber and myself, Yesim Saglam, and I'll also be doing call management for today's call. And before we get started, just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking for the transcription purposes, please.

And with this, I would like to leave the floor all the way to Shreedeeep Rayamajhi. Thank you very much.

SHREEDDEEP RAYAMAJHI: And thank you, Yesim, for that roll call. And firstly, I'd like to welcome you all to this first session of the APRALO Policy Forum. Finally, we have started from November and we have our first call.

So basically we have done some working with the previous leaders as well as the leadership team about how we have to proceed with the policy forum. And we are further working and this call will be more

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

focused on what kind of programs that we need to further focus on better engagement as well as visibility of policy forum in the community.

So I think we have 16 people, 21 people altogether. And I believe that in a small group like this, we should know each other. So let's have a small introduction, one by one. Yesim, can you call out the names one by one? I can start by myself and then you can call out the names and just an instant introduction.

So my name is Shreedeeep Rayamajhi. I have been engaged with ICANN since 2014, I think. And from there I have been engaging with various other groups. I was the chair of the Social Media Working Group during ICANN 68 and then till 72, I think. I have been engaged with various other outreach and engagement and capacity groups. So Yesim, can you call out a name for introduction?

YESIM NAZLAR:

Sure. Thank you, Shreedeeep. So I'm looking at the participants list, and I will go with Amrita Choudhury.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY:

Okay, thanks, Yesim. Hi, everyone. My name is Amrita and welcome to the APRALO Policy Forum. With all of you, even I want to learn more about APRALO policy. And let's do some good work in terms of giving our input to the At-Large as well as to the community on how these ICANN policies can be framed prospectively from the end users and also how we can help our respective communities. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thanks, Amrita. Ayesha Iftikhar, please.

AYESHA IFTIKHAR: Hello, everyone. My name is Ayesha and actually this is my first policy forum with APRALO. I'm basically an ICANN fellow and APNIC fellow, [inaudible] fellow. My background is purely technical and as I'm from academia, but my PhD research is basically at the intersection of technical technology and policy actually. So that's why I would love to contribute towards policy and look forward to learning from all of you. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Ayesha. And next is Bibek Silwal, please.

BIBEK SILWAL: Hello, everyone. This is me, Bibek Silwal from Kathmandu. And currently I'm pursuing my degree in data science and statistics. I started my journey with ICANN from ICANN 75 as NextGen, and I'm presently this year's Internet Society IGF youth ambassador. I seek to contribute in this APRALO space. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Bibak. Over to Cheryl Langdon-Orr, please.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Cheryl Langdon-Orr. And you may as well get used to the fact that you should be saying hi, Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record, for the transcript record. You should identify yourself every single time you do anything on an ICANN call.

I've been around in I\*, ICT and ICANN for probably longer than many people would want to admit to and many would like to [listen about.] So I'm going to leave a lot of time for the tour of the table to go on. There's a link there and if not, google me.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Cheryl. Next is Fouad Bajwa, please.

FOUAD BAJWA: Hi, everyone. This is Fouad Bajwa from Lahore, Pakistan. I have been involved with ICANN for the past 14 years. And apart from that, I've had the opportunity to participate with the community and contribute as the APRALO vice chair from 2010 to 2012 and then from 2013 to 2014. It's a pleasure to be here and I would like to contribute again. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Fouad. And over to go Ghayoor Bawary, please.

GHAYOOR BAWARY: Hello, everyone. Thanks so much for having me. This is Ghayoor Bawary from Kabul, Afghanistan. My journey with this Internet related things

---

started from 2015 as a cofounding member of Internet Society Afghanistan chapter as well as the Internet Governance Forum Afghanistan. I currently volunteer as president of Internet Society Afghanistan chapter as well as the IGF Afghanistan Coordinator. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you very much. And next is Gunela Astbrink, please.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Hello. I'm GUNela Astbrink for the record. And I've been around for a while as well, I'm currently co-vice chair of APRALO and also chairing the Internet Society's accessibility standing group. So that tends to mean that I have a particular interest in accessibility, particularly for persons with disability and interested very much in diversity and digital inclusion in ICANN in a number of different ways, and very interested in how we're going to discuss policy within this APRALO forum. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, Gunela. And next we have Jahangir Hossain, please.

JAHANGIR HOSSAIN:

Hi. Good morning from Bangladesh. I'm Jahangir Hossain. I'm fellow alumni of ICANN. I am relatively involved ICANN activity around eight to nine years. My first fellowship was ICANN 49. I am involved in ISOC Bangladesh Dhaka chapter as a volunteer basis as a board member, which is also ALS member in At-Large community. [inaudible] fully

---

technical policy. I'm working in high tech industries, [inaudible] industries environment in Bangladesh as head of network and cyber security. That's when I look forward to work with you in future in APRALO policy forum. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: thank you Jahangir. Next is Kashif Adeel, please.

KASHIF ADEEL: My name is Kashif Adeel and I am from Muscat, Oman, which is in [inaudible]. I'm an entrepreneur [inaudible] with the tech startups, active board member [inaudible] [many of you all know it] and in addition I've previously been [inaudible] currently I'm the executive member—I could not hear him well. [inaudible] need to speak louder? Audio is crunchy. Let me check my audio please.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: No worries, Kashif. We heard you more or less. But if you have anything to say, you can put it in chat as Fouad has mentioned.

KASHIF ADEEL: Okay. Ideally, it should go well, now. Is it still not fine? Otherwise, I will speak again, no problem. So, let me [inaudible] see I'm an entrepreneur. So I have couple of technical technology companies in Pakistan and UAE and other places. I reside in Muscat, Oman. So that's my place where I live in. And then I am the active board member for DotAsia. You

---

probably all may know. And in addition, I'm also the board member for [inaudible] organization.

Before that, I was the chair for Asia Pacific Next Generation, which whole target was to promote the youth. And they do their regular events across Asia. And that's it. I would like to work with all of you guys in order to make this policy, which is good for the area and for everyone. Thank you.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Can we have a brief introduction, please. We are running short of time. So please have a brief introduction only. And if you are having problems, you can probably use the chat. Everybody's looking at the chat room. This is a humble request. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. And next is K Mohan Raidu, please.

K MOHAN RAIDU: Hello. Good morning all. This is K Mohan Raidu from ISOC India Hyderabad chapter. I'm the president here. We have recently organized the INSIG 2022 here and we have [inaudible] Academic hubs in [inaudible] colleges. We engage them in IPv6 projects. And now we are able to work on the UA projects. That's about it. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, K Mohan. And next is Maureen Hilyard.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. I'm Maureen Hilyard. I've been involved in ICANN—At-Large anyway—for a while. I was a fellow in 2010. I've worked on a number of working groups even before I became a member of At-Large the ALAC in 2013. So in that interim, I was very much involved in learning about ICANN just through being on working groups. It's very interesting.

And of course, I was the chair of the ALAC for the last four years, until the Kuala Lumpur meeting. And I'm the vice chair with responsibility for outreach and engagement. And this policy forum is very important to me, because I really liked the idea that Shreedeeep is leading something that is going to really hopefully engage more APRALO members in policy and learning about policy and coming to the outreach and engagement meetings and helping to build resources that are actually going to help community members understand policy and what it's all about. So I'm really looking forward to seeing more APRALO people in outreach and engagement. Very much involved in this group. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you very much, Maureen. Next is Nabeel Yasin, please.

NABEEL YASIN: Yeah, hi everyone. Nice to e-meet you all. This is Nabeel Yasin for the record from Yemen, and I'm an ICANN 73 and 75 fellow. And I am an ISOC member of the Middle East chapter. This is actually my first policy forum engagement and I'm very interested to [inaudible] learn from all



---

of you. I'm sure that in this forum [inaudible] people with the very great experience. So I'm glad to see all of you. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, Nabeel. Next is Priyatosh Jana. I see that he has put a brief introduction for himself. Not sure if he would like to speak or not. Let me actually read it for him. Priyatosh Jana says hi everyone, this is Priyatosh Jana working as assistant professor in computer science and engineering cybersecurity. ICANN and IGF fellow. So I will move on to the next person, Samik Kharel, please.

SAMIK KHAREL:

Hi, my name is Samik Kharel. I am from Kathmandu, Nepal. I've been involved with ICANN-related activities for a couple of years now. I look forward to contributing to this community. I have been in the past an ICANN fellow, I attended a few fireside chats with [inaudible] ICANN policy. It was kind of difficult to understand. So I thought I'd give it a thought and try to make it more understandable to others as well as soon as I understand. Thank you so much.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, Samik. Next is Satish Babu.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks very much. This is Satish. I am presently the ALAC member from APRALO. And previously for about seven years, the chair of APRALO. Thanks.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Satish. Suhaidi Hassan, please.

SUHAIIDI HASSAN: Hi, everyone. My name is Suhaidi Hassan. I'm from Malaysia, myself as a professor of computing network at the School of Computing in UUM, the University Utara Malaysia. And I've been involved with ICANN activity since ICANN 46 in Beijing. I have also served as a founding member of Internet Society in Malaysia and now forming another organization in Malaysia related to the cybersecurity and privacy. Hopefully will come as one of the ALSes in ICANN. That's all for me.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you, Suhaidi, and over to Udeep Baral, please.

UDEEP BARAL: Hi, everyone. Good afternoon here from Nepal. I'm Udeep Baral and I'm ICANN 75 fellow and I've been contributing and participating since ICANN 67 online. I worked at the Federation of Computer Association Nepal nonprofit organization, I want to learn and contribute from this APRALO Policy Forum. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. Next is Winthrop Yu.

---

WINTHROP YU: Hello everyone, this is Winthrop Yu from the Philippines. The last time I saw many of you in person would have been 10 years ago at ICANN 46 in Beijing. Most of you would be more familiar with [inaudible]. I will be following the discussions closely. I will be listening and seeing where best I can contribute. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you. And last but not least is Asif Majeed. And looks like Asif actually just left the call. So, I think we have covered everyone. Shreedeeep, back over to you, thank you.

SHREDEEPP RAYAMAJHI: Thank you, Yesim. The whole idea of the introduction was to know the diversity that we have and the mixture of people that we have from the experienced people to the fellows that we have, and I think together we can create a good combination of achieving a better policy role in APRALO.

So in this discussion, I believe that we probably have to focus when we talk about policy, we probably have to focus on few of the things, capacity building, communication and engagement. And ikn regards to this, I personally between this one month had a discussion with Amrita and other leadership team about knowing about the things that have been done and what we need to further focus on and we have come up with seven action plans.

---

So, these action plans are our basic guidelines, where we have to further work on, and if there are other points in which we want to contribute, then we can probably like add up and work with it.

So, the action plans are in the policy section of the APRALO monthly call, we will introduce policy topics in the APRALO meeting, first. Second, webinar introducing people to policy forum will be conducted in December. So, this is basically about letting our community people know about what policy is and what kind of different challenges and problems are there, because a lot of the times what personally I felt is when we talk about policy, people kind of like take policy in a big way. So, we have to further do the basics and create a feasible outline where people can contribute in relation to the problems and challenges and can gather it and further bridge it to the policy development process.

The third is the fireside chat webinar of relevant policy issues would be organized. And there was a suggestion to do it every second month, topics such as IDNs, UA or priorities identified by Hot Topic survey that the previous team had done. So, we have that document. So, we will probably be analyzing that as well.

A working document would be established to get feedback from ALSes on local issues, challenges, problems and to see if those could be taken up. So, this is something that came up during our last meeting when Nabeel had mentioned something about an issue related to the cost. So we would probably establish a working document where we would further work on the problems and challenges and further engage it with our liaisons and within our policy groups, so that we can further voice it out in a proper way in our policy process.

---

---

Fifth is the bringing in local ALS leaders upfront for collaboration, collaborative discussion on the basis of geographic country or region for promoting and collaborative engagement and visibility. Because a lot of the—we need to bring in ALSes as well. And I think it's a better way of engaging with our leaders from the APRALO team as well as from the community itself.

Working with the different liaisons of APRALO creating better awareness and capacity building. We have different liaisons who are currently working. So you want to harness the knowledge in a better way. So probably working with them and further getting back the inputs and outputs and further working with the community in simplifying the process, as well as giving the information as well.

And collaborating with the GSE team in context of reaching out to the local leaders and ALS in context of any event happening, or any local events that are happening there so that we can further work it on.

So if any of you have any comments or thoughts about these action plans, please raise your hand or please, the mic is yours. And please comment. Amrita, please.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY:

Thanks, Shreedeep, for sharing this. Perhaps most people in this group may need some time to kind of go through it and reflect and come back what they want.

So as easy steps, perhaps what could be done is identify one—or since we are in December, the year is ending perhaps for January or something, we could plan some kind of a discussion.

Fireside chats are good, perhaps from the IDN or EPDP group where Satish or someone can come and share what is happening in the IDN group, share it so that people understand it. And those who are interested can be following the track or giving their comments.

This is just a thought which came to my mind. And it could be a fireside chat. And then people—we can have a discussion on it or something because it's close to everyone. And there is going to be a UA day also very soon, in March perhaps. So perhaps this could be one item we look at.

The other could also be the DNS abuse or something, one or two topics. We take not too many. And then we start discussing them, which actually relates to most of the APAC region also.

SHREEDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Noted. Jahangir, you have the mic.

JAHANGIR HOSSAIN: [inaudible] with Amrita. Aside, I think we can share the last previous topics list in this mailing group so that newcomers also can learn what's going on in our [inaudible] and the other person interested, as well as we [inaudible] of ICANN print policy related [inaudible] which Amrita already shared, so we can make a briefing on this session I think. That'd be a great idea. Thank you.

---

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Just to add, we have the APRALO monthly call December also in case you want something particular from policy aspect to be discussed, perhaps that this group can think of and we can have one of the ALAC members or someone who understands that explain it in easy language to people and we can invite people on so just to start with.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Oh, yes, Amrita. The whole idea was to start because this is just a document that we devised and it further needs the comments and ideas from all the people because we all have to contribute in a potential way. And the whole idea is I think we have to start in the basic way of how we are going to place it on the table for the community. In fact, I think the basic discussion has to start from what policy is all about with the community. So yeah, Cheryl and Fouad.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Shreedeep. Where's the link to this document you've just taken us through a whirlwind tour of? Because I've gone through not only the link of the agenda, which actually just leads back to the policy forum master page, but everywhere else that I can find to do anything with the since final reporting from Justine and I can't find it. It should be at least shared in the chat.

---

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Yeah, it's not in the agenda, it was for the planning to make it broader and then sharing it with the people because this was the first meeting. So that is the reason.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sharing it how?

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: With Google Docs.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Right. So now we've got the link. Thank you, Gisella. So we can all actually have a look at it. Appreciate that.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Yeah. Fouad.

FOUAD BAJWA: Just some quick thoughts. In order to make the policy forum useful as well as worth everyone's time, it's really necessary that we do not bring content from the APRALO meeting into this, but we look at the policy is driven by ideas.

And we have two aspects. One is the policy issues that have come up over time, like you've recorded, and hopefully you will be sharing the document, and what we look at in terms of issues within the past, present and future of APRALO. So, if we would do a policy forum, with a



---

powerful effect, and beneficial for the APRALO community, we should have a balance between the ongoing issues as well as what we see in terms of the future.

So, we can also look at the possibility of having one track about future challenges. And we can also look at the possibility that we bring in some interesting policy topics, rather than the ones that have been continued over time within the APRALO meetings. Thank you.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: In the absence of being able to actually look at the document, I'll jump dive in. Shreedeep, again, assuming when I look at the documents, some of this will be clearer. But I assume that there is also going to be a clear and preemptive focus for this group to gather regional and local thoughts, opinions, all of that sort of thing to deliberately lead into what is ICANN's interest in policy at any given time. Because if we don't do that, then we're just navel gazing and pretending we're doing something when we're not. Certainly not in terms of the requirements that every At-Large, structure every member, individual unaffiliated member or indeed member of At-Large undertakes to ensure a flow of information, not only from ICANN, but actually back to ICANN from all of us. That's the missing link. And that's where the power of a good policy forum should be able to operate. Thanks.

---

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Satish, you have the floor.

SATISH BABU: Yeah, this is Satish. I have a bad internet connection right now. So I won't speak for long. I just wanted to mention that first, you can take a look at what was done last year from the policy forum documentation. We have covered an exhaustive set of—I mean, quite a broad set of items last year.

Secondly, we have to basically be centered around the ICANN remit. It is not a 100% absolute rule. But we can take one or two issues, if it's regional importance, which are outside ICANN's remit, but in general, we should stick to the ICANN remit. And the third point as was mentioned by Cheryl, we have a role to look at regional topics in ICANN's policy, and we have to inform our ALSes and take back from the ALSes back to the ALAC. Thank you.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Thank you. So the whole point is that, and then I think, with all the people here, we will be able to collaborate in a proper way and get the ALSes more engaged with the topic, that is the reason why we are setting up and I wanted to hear your views and ideas as well. Because we work as a team. So that is the whole thing.

And further, there's a lot of hesitation about policy and how people perceive policy. So, that is the point. So I was basically trying to start with the whole idea of starting with a policy introduction and then going into deep topics like maybe IDNs or getting GNSO liaison and further

---

integrating it and getting the topics from the ALSes as well, problems and challenges and collaborating. That way, it would be more collaborative as well as within the ICANN remit, it can further create an impact. So are there any other suggestions anybody wants to comment or anything more? Because I will be sharing the document link and further engagement can happen.

If there are no comments, then let me share the document with the whole team. And then further collaboration can happen. And then we can further talk about the issues and create a better program. So okay, I'll be sharing the document. Are there any other things that you guys want to share or any AOB?

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Shreedeep, just another question to repeat. Do you want some particular policy aspect developed discussed on the 15<sup>th</sup> call? If so, what would you want?

SHREEDEEP RAYAMAJHI: As per our discussion previously, we can have a certain liaison come and talk about a policy issue. I think I had approached Satish about this. And he said he will be available for the December meeting. So probably we will talk to him about the IDNs. And one topic and we will probably try to make it a more comfortable talk. Is that okay with you, Amrita?

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: I'm good with anything. It's Satish that has to be okay with it.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Okay. So I think this intervention is all about bridging the gap. I mean, last meeting, Maureen was there. She talked about DNS abuse. Cheryl, you have your hand up, please. Mic is yours.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much, Shreedeep. You should finish your sentence. Just because a hand goes up doesn't mean you have to stop instantly. I'm just getting in the queue. So finish what you want to say and then come back to me.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Sorry. No worries. So is there anything, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I did have something to say, but I didn't want to block off what you were saying. I thought you were on a roll for something there. I wanted to make a proposal for work to queue. Not in any way shape or form in this calendar year, but to contemplate queueing for the not too distant future in the following calendar year.

This comes from conversation both back channel and in the meeting that was held, which is a very important thing if you're going to be interested in policy, that you look at the transcripts if not attend as many meetings as you can of the Consolidated Policy Working Group. It meets weekly, right, it meets in two time positions. And most of us can

---

find we can attend one, probably not both, and still get any sleep or rest. So have a look at that.

But in that meeting, there is the beginning of development of positioning of our thinking At-Large-wide on what we know is going to be coming in the not too distant future regarding applicant support in terms of the applicant support program that is to be interacted with the next round of new gTLD. So it's critical for ICANN, it's critical for ICANN's work.

There is a process going on, at the moment, it's just kicked off in the last month under the auspices of the GNSO. That work that they're doing in that GNSO policy development aspect will be putting out things for public comments, will be seeking input. And so if we can get the community prepared, and have more of that input ready to come in, that could be a really, really good thing.

There is a seriously large body of work about what the At-Large view has been in the past on this topic. And that means that we've got material that we could put things together with. So I really want to put that one forward as a well worthwhile topic to have in the near distance at the beginning of 2023. Thanks.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI:

Sure, Cheryl, that is quite an interesting topic. And I think that that's the whole point of the policy forum, we have to get the people and their issues and more simplified and getting those voices in. So I think are there any comments or any thoughts about further what we need to do or what the challenges are in a policy forum?

---

Because this is the first meeting, and we would love to hear from you guys about the challenges and problems and what we could integrate in a new way, or if anybody wants to share something about—Nabeel, you have the floor.

NABEEL YASIN: Yeah, [inaudible] policy forum. But I suggest if we rely also on the survey, the use of surveys to [inaudible] policy. That would be great. This is a suggestion. And also, Amrita said that there is maybe a survey [inaudible] something like that. [inaudible] Thank you.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Thank you, Nabeel, for that comment as well. We will further be looking into whatever the possibilities are, because I think at a community level, we have to reach the ALSes and the members there. As we have seen after COVID, things have really settled down in our community. So it's the whole point of getting the community up and running and getting more engagement in terms of how we are going to talk to them and how we are going to talk within the ICANN remit of the issues and the things that that is happening with the policy development process, and creating a better engagement. So that is the whole plan. And we'll certainly love to integrate [inaudible]. Amrita, you have the floor.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Thank you, Shreedeep. I think there was a question in the chat that what the previous policy forum was doing. Perhaps there is a repository of information there which can be shared, and like before Kuala

---

Lumpur, Justine and a small team have done a survey to find out what could be the priorities of APRALO in terms of policy. It may be good for the group to look at the outcomes, because that may also help to frame the policy discussion, which we want because that had come from the community itself. I think looking at what has been done in the past and what can be done as challenges we all know, engagement, etc., etc. But I think how we can overcome those challenges is something we need to talk about and make it more effective.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: So true, Amrita. You cannot start without a base. And I think the work that is done by Satish and Justine has really given us something where we have to understand what has been done and what needs to be done. So that is certainly there and then I think let's share that within that group and I will be sharing the document as well for the comments.

And as you said, we will also be sharing the past work and the information that is there. So any more comments, any more ideas, any more possibilities, anything? I always say this, because there's always an opportunity to learn and there's always the opportunity to listen to people as much as you can.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Shreedeeep, there is a question from Ayesha. Can we have a background about how this works? If you can just explain how the group works actually.

---

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Okay, so the whole idea for the group to work is right now, the whole ICANN policy development processes happening. We at APRALO, we are here, and we will probably be bridging—there are different groups there that are like GNSO, we have our liaison there. In the UA, we have our liaison. So we will probably be collaborating with them and getting the topics and further engaging.

And apart from that, as Cheryl mentioned, the whole new gTLDs process that is happening, we want the comments and we want those further move in to our ALSes and individual members. So that process needs to be sped up and we would further be closing in.

Apart from that, capacity building is something that needs to be done at the grassroot level regarding what policy is and how we are going to bring those people in to this policy platform. Because ICANN is a policy forum. And a lot of the work is done within the group. And there are people like Cheryl, Satish, Amrita, and all of these people have worked in for years. And we have so much of experience. And there are new people. So we have to collaborate in creating a better engagement. So that is the whole idea. Nabeel.

LABEEL YASIN: During this policy forum, there will be certain topics or topics, I mean, [inaudible] related to DNS, or there will be other topics, generic topics. There's one. Other thing, I think also the alternative root servers is also what we would like to have during this. Just a suggestion.



---

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Sure, Nabeel. I didn't get a lot of it. So if you could type it, it would be better because the connection is not that good. Certainly, your suggestion is—we'll probably look into it. The whole idea is to have different segments of webinars. Amrita, you have your hand raised, so please.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Yeah, just to add to what Ayesha was adding and what Shreedeeep shared. So what normally in the past the policy forum had been doing is they were working on demystifying or explaining various policies which are currently being discussed at ICANN. There were Fireside Chats also to actually explain certain processes policies which are being discussed.

Simultaneously, there are some policies which are there for public comments. So what the team is expected, the policy team is expected to do is when there is, for example, a policy which is being discussed and CPWG is drafting the comments also, the APRALO policy forum can also discuss it at our level and see if there are certain comments which are needed from the Asia Pacific perspective, which can be fed into the CPWG or given to At-Large if they want to take it.

So our work is just not capacity building also, but also to share from our ALS to the RALO level and then to the At-Large community or CPWG that these are the points which our community is stating and also take it down to the community. So that is our larger role.

And for that, we may have capacity building, we may have other things. Now for example, if there is a policy being discussed and it is of your interest, you may say yes, I want to be a pen holder, or I want to draft it

---

and there may be people who may be interested to actually collaborate with you to come up with it. Then you can share it with the greater APRALO policy Forum for comments. If there are any. If there are not, it can be submitted to CPWG and other. Cheryl, Maureen, Satish, please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is my understanding of it.

SHREEDEEP RAYAMAJHI: That's perfectly said. That's about it. Any more comments? Okay, then then I guess, if there are no further comments, then we will probably end this call and we will start working on the documents. And then further—as said by Amrita, if we can further collaborate in more possible way even with the CPWG, I would request all of the members to further attend the calls. Amrita, you have your hand up.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Sorry, I'm butting in a lot. But I would like to ask the At-Large members, is there any pertinent policy discussion that you think at the moment the APRALO Policy Forum should start? If there is some policies—I think two are open for comments, but if there is anything which you would want the team out here to look at. That could be a starting point also. We have to work on multiple fronts. This could be one in terms of contributing. Satish, Nabeel, Marueen, is there anything we need to ...? Okay, Cheryl has mentioned something in the comment section. Is there anything specific? Okay, transfer policy PDP. Okay, right.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We could just list them off. But I dare say we do list them off every single meeting of the APRALO. Come on, guys.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: So we are not duplicating efforts here. It is looking at the document and seeing if there is something from the Asia Pacific region we want to bring into that document. We don't want to redo what has been done. We want to look at those documents and those policies and see if we want something else added to it. If not, we leave it.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Maureen has a hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Shreedeep. I just wanted to sort of say that I think it's important that whatever we produce is from APRALO, it's got to be something that is relevant to us. And so whatever we choose, it doesn't matter what the perspective is from any other RALO. It's got to be ours.

So that's what I'm sort of saying, is that one of the things that really impressed me, for example, when I attended the other RALO sort of meetings and stuff, is at ICANN, of course, AFRALO always has a session, and it's a tradition. And they always present a statement that reflects AFRALO's perspective on whatever is the current sort of topic within the CPWG.

And I think that what it is, if we make a decision on what it is that we want to actually make a statement about, is that we create the

statement, and then we look at what are—I said it in the chat. What are some outputs that we can actually produce that will help to reinforce those what our views are?

So it's actually thinking creatively about how we present information. And again, I'm wearing my outreach and engagement and capacity building hat, all those sorts of things, and the social media one because that's where most of our messages are going out.

So what we need to do is check out CPWG, see what's on top of them, and then we can look at—and you can be sure DNS abuse is always going to come up. Let's face it, it will. But at the same time there, as somebody mentioned it, I can't remember who, but there's always something interesting. They've got so many small groups. And there's always something interesting that comes up.

But it does mean that people have to get into those CPWG meetings as Cheryl suggested, just listen in. “Wow, that's really interesting,” and bring it back and sort of say, why is it interesting? Why should we actually—what does it mean to us as APRALO? Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Shreedeeep, I'm just going to follow on Maureen, very briefly. Just on that, it seems to me that we don't want everybody, especially the new kids in camp, to have to trawl through the depths and areas of all things ICANN find stuff.

So I wonder if an action item out of today's call could be—at the very top of the wiki landing page—that we could have the 2022

---

---

documents—2023, moving into 2023 documents, the stuff this group is going to work on, put on high where it's easy to find.

But also, could we have a little resources page or even links to important resources? And they'd be the resources that we already have in CPWG spaces, in the Operations, Finance and Budget Working Group spaces. They're out there, but we could perhaps just link to them so that people from our interest areas can go to our space, and then go find what they want and come back into our space. Just a thought I would recommend you consider. Thanks.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI:

Sure, Cheryl. That's a quite an interesting approach. Because that way, you'd be able to make it more visible as well as we could make it more workable. And thank you, Maureen, as well for that intervention, as well as Amrita. So anyone wants to say anything? So I will add that in the action items as well. Any more comments or any more suggestions or any more ideas? I think we have reached our time. So probably we would end this call and further work on the documents and the action items that we have listed.

So next meeting most probably next month, probably next month, first week of January, Thursday, I guess. And in between the meantime, let's try to have a session, a webinar about policy with an expert leader, just for the capacity building.

And further, we'd also be working on the other aspects of the CPWG and creating a better engagement there, so how we from APRALO can position ourselves in a better way.

---

So I think the next meeting would be January 1. And if there any comments, then—

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Shreedeeep, I think ICANN offices may be closed in the first week. So best ask staff when they would be available.

SHREEDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Right. Yesim. [inaudible]

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, Shreedeeep. So ICANN offices will be actually open Monday the 2<sup>nd</sup> of January. But I'm not sure if all of the community members will be back. So maybe it would be better if we hold our next call the second week of January. Gisella, would that work for you?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yesim, thank you. And I know it's at the end of the call but a very warm welcome to all our new members on this call. It's very exciting to see so many new faces and names for some.

So yes, when we come back in January, just in general, the first week is very slow. People need to catch up after the holiday break. So I would highly suggest the second week of January for a call if that is suitable to all.

---

YESIM NAZLAR: And if I may add, shall we say, same day, same time, like Thursday 06:00 UTC, or would you like to have a doodle?

GISELLA GRUBER: If I may, Yesim, just with experience—and I funnily enough see Cheryl and Maureen’s faces as I speak, which is great. If we are able to set a recurring day and time—and thank you very much for bringing that up, Yesim—it certainly does work much better for everyone because doodles are awful. And yes, Cheryl, I see you all there. And if we can just decide.

And then again, it's always easy to cancel a call if it's not required or if there's great conversation going on on the email, which is always highly recommended. So please do participate on email, that is what the email list is for.

And we can just set a schedule and decide on the recurring of how many times a month or monthly or whatever it may be, a set date and time will work best. Sorry, it took a little longer to say that but it really does work much better. Thank you very much.

YESIM NAZLAR: Okay, thank you. Just to say it on the record, next call will be on Thursday 12th of January at 06:00 UTC.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: I guess that is okay for everyone. Is it good for everyone? Laxmi, if you'd like to speak.

LAXMI PRASSAD: [First of all, sorry for the] [inaudible] [joining.] I just want to suggest that once we are talking about the policy, is it possible to do [inaudible] prepare a three-column slide where existing policies are and what are the suggestions in the particular policy regard to [inaudible] either through email or [inaudible] then it will be very easy for us to discuss on it because currently we don't know what are the existing conditions. That's my suggestion. [inaudible]

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Your voice is not that clear. Could you type the thing you just said?

LAXMI PRASSAD: I am saying that, is it possible for organizer to have publish what are the existing policy on which we are talking and what are the feedback we got through email or [June] meeting in previous meeting on it? Then it will be very easy for us to talk on it.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: Shreedeep, if you want, I can answer this question.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Sure.



---

AMRITA CHOUDHURY:

So Laxmi, the point out here is there is already a process in At-Large when there is a policy being discussed. It is open for comments, people comment on it, it is then given for review for people, they can comment and finally At-Large ratify it and then it is submitted or whatever.

In this context, what is being done is APRALO would be selecting certain topics. APRALO Policy Forum would be selecting certain topics which they want to discuss either through fireside chat or discussions or policy documents where they want some interested people from this community to work.

So whatever is the topic, for example, if they select to discuss or even make a policy document, in case you're interested, you can join on it. So there will be a small team who would be working on it and after that, it would be there for comments to people.

And if you're looking at the comments which APRALO—At-Large is looking at, it is already listed, that these are the proposal policies open for commenting, this is what is being drafted, if you want to give a comment you can. There are wikis to it. If you are not aware of it, perhaps those information Cheryl was saying can be made easily available for people or you could be guided to it. So the process is already there.

LAXMI PRASSAD:

Okay, thank you very much. Is it possible to include me on the small policy group?

---

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: you are already included, Laxmi, it is already there. The policy process in ICANN is basically open. So like the CPWG, you can add yourself to that group and further integrate yourself in the whole.

AMRITA CHOUDHURY: You may want to have a small short call sometimes to explain to people how to participate in these processes because we have people at different levels. A separate call.

LAXMI PRASSAD: Okay, thank you.

SHREDEEP RAYAMAJHI: Yes, so any more comments? If not, then let's close it and get into the emails. So I'd like to officially close the call. Thank you for attending the call. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a great rest of the day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**