

YEŞİM SAĞLAM:

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO Universal Acceptance Discussion Call taking place on Wednesday, 24th of August, 2022 at 1300 UTC. On our call today on the English Channel, we have Seun Ojedeji, Bram Fudzulani, and Sarah. On the French channel, we have Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong. We currently don't have any apologies for today's call. And from staff side, we have Silvia Vivanco, Yaovi Atohoun, Pitinan Kooarmornpatana, and myself Yeşim Sağlam.

And I'll also be team call management for today's call. And we have French interpretation provided and our interpreters are Aurélie and Isabelle. And before we get started, just to kindly remind you to please state your name before speaking not only for the transcription, but also for the interpretation purposes as well, please. And with this, I would like to leave the floor back over to you, Seun. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

All right. Thank you very much. Seun for the record. Hello, everyone. I trust you're having a good day. And good morning, good afternoon, and of course, good evening, depending on what part of the world we are in. We've been trying to schedule this call for quite some time now. And, of course, it's good that we finally got the date and the time that works for some of us. It is my hope that this wouldn't take too much of our time considering that for us from this region this is still working hour. So we try as much as possible to be as to the point. And, of course, save some time if we can. We've done the first round of the UA. You all know. And one of the things that we had planned was that this was

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

going to be a two-session effort. And of course, hopefully, by doing the second one, we've gave some more momentum to improve upon the last session that we did.

So before I continue I just like to thank GSE team from Africa, Yaovi and his team, and of course, right from the staff [00:03:03 -inaudible], and the entire team, and of course, At-Large staff as well. And, of course, any other ICANN staff who's actually contributed to this effort. We really appreciate the support that we received. And of course, to all my colleagues from the social media team, to Bram who is actually overseeing this whole thing. And, of course, to leadership, thanks for how far we've gone on this particular part of our outreach and engagement commitment that we did for the last financial year.

So we were able to do the first run within the financial year and the second run is happening in the new financial year. I hope that we'll make some progress on this one as well. So without taking so much for that time, I'll just like to welcome us once again. And then we'll hear from Yaovi. I mean, before we continue, the agenda in front of us. Is there any form of adjustments we want to do to it. Anyone want to propose any changes?

Okay, I'm not seeing any hands off and I'm not hearing any voice. And, of course, we would work with the agenda as presented, but perhaps to going next item, I mean, I think it will be fast from our call that we're having, even if it is kind of a self-committee call for that.

I like to just express my condolences to the GSE team, to all of us actually, and, of course, to the family of Paul who we lost recently. And

of course, if you don't mind, I'd like to just request a minute of silence.
We start now. Thank you.

Okay, may his soul rest in peace. And, of course, we'll continue to remember his good works. And we also express our condolences, of course, on them and God for the life he lived, though short, but well spent. Thank you again, colleagues. And in that, I hand over to Yaovi to take on at the next agenda item which is the plan for the second session of UA training sessions. Yaovi, you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you so much. I think Seun, thank you so much. I'm sharing my screen. Please, can you confirm that you can see it?

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Yes. Yes. Thank you.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Okay. Thank you so much. So I have this note to share with you to cover the items. And as mentioned by Seun, this meeting we'll make it brief so that people are working now can go back to work. So on the screen you have the first paragraph, which is a summary of the topics that the participant at the first session were requested. You remember on the 10th of May during the first webinar, we had a poll at the end. So the topics that were requested are UA technical [00:07:26 -inaudible] and configuration. You still have email address internationalization. We still have International Domain Names, and we have a Label Generation Rules, variant label mechanism.

First, before I continue, I want to mention that this work is not just at GSE. It is a jointed call by the whole ICANN departments. And as you can see, our colleague, Pitinan, is also on the call. And she delivered some part of the training during the first workshop. And we had also apologies for our colleague, Seda. So it is a joint effort. And Pitinan is also on the call, so she may jump in when needed for more input.

So what we see as a topic for the next item is like emphasizing some of these topics. Because sometimes it requires time for people to understand. Let me give you a concrete example. Two days ago, I got a call from someone. We had an event in the Benin Republic like two years ago, more than two years ago. And then at that time I was presenting about IDN, IDN itself. So what was the process and if in Benin Republic, for example, people wanted to have some local languages, maybe some specific character in the languages to be considered.

So I took them through what need to be done at that time. Because they are the one, the community that may tell us some of the specific character, how important, or how to handle them. Unfortunately, after that, this person was silent and I got the mail two days ago and then he said that he has a discussion with another person and then they are interested.

So what I told him and Pitinan will correct me that, the Latin Script Panel is still working. It's still working. And then I told them what I have shared with them, what they were supposed to do. At this stage, we don't really need that because -- It's like someone from Ghana asked a question during, I think, last second meeting. So we have many of our

languages that are taken into account by the Latin Script Generation Panel. So there were opportunity for the community to be involved on this, be more involved, but this community, unfortunately, was not ready to involve at the right time. But it's not too late, it's not too late because we have very many versions.

So What I want to mention by that is that we can do a repetition of some items because I highlighted IDN again, International Domain Name. So the concept is maybe not totally clear for some people when we mention IDN. And then when we mentioned the rules on label numerical, number five, for example, why do we have number five? Why are we moving from, I mean, a various version.

So these are things I suggest that maybe Pitinan will repeat this, especially for community, At-Large community. Pitinan can repeat this, and then especially for Africa, where we have the Latin Script, maybe a detailed presentation will be done on. Where are we now in the Latin panel space? So maybe this is something specific.

I'm touching on the agenda for the next. So the Latin Script panel, where are we? And then how can we contribute to that? So this is a topic I see based on the answer we got from the poll also. So the Latin Script, especially, will be some specific item to be presented then. The community part interested me for some specific languages, they can get answers to their questions. So the next agenda will be taken from this one and then we would like the repetition, but deeply talking about some of the items again. So I want to let Pitinan take over before I continue. Pitinan, over to you.

PITINAN KOOARMORNPATANA: Thank you, Yaovi. And it's Pitinan here. So just to add on what Yaovi already proposed, so last time we talk about the Label Generation Rules, and it can be used for top level, which we call rules on LGR. And it also can be used at the second level. So right now, we have the Latin Script already integrated for the root zone in version five. And that's mean we now have the information to develop the same rules, but applicable for the second level. So we add in digits and hyphen and so on, which is not allowed in the up level.

For this work, we are planning to release it for the public comment in the next few months. So depends on the time of the training as well. We can explain, like, overview of the Labels Generation Rules for Latin for the second level. And for that, we will need community input to review this and then if this rule covers the particular language as using Latin Script, which I think it might be very applicable for the region. And if the time allows, we can open the public comment in a way that this event happen when the public comments still on so that we can gather the feedback from the community even more. So that's my proposal that can be one of the agenda.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Definitely, Pitinan thank you so much. Definitely, this will be very helpful for the community. Now I want to move to the period. So probably if you see, we will propose the proposal from our parties to have it in October because we have ICANN75, and then ICANN75 will be ending by the 22nd, and then people will go back home. So our

proposal is to cross something between the 1st and the 20th of October. And in addition to that, we have the prep week in agenda. So this is an actually enough time. We want to see how we can act. It is like we would suggests that the AFRALO committee participate as possible to most of the investor assessment or IDN related session.

So the first one that is public now is the prep week community update on investor assessment. So what we see important before this second webinar in October if agreed is that people from the region, the AFRALO community, will recommend and find a way to invite people to attend this particular session, which is scheduled for the 8th of September, I think in next month. So that is the plan so far.

And then to cover the first topic, so this is what we want to share. We will share a draft agenda maybe after ICANN75 or during ICANN75. We will share the proposed agenda, and then we'll schedule the second session in October. And there are a lot of also sections of ICANN75. That are not public yet, but we have many sessions like four, five sessions during ICANN75.

So from our end, we will share also this that of ICANN75 that are not public yet. So once they are public or they are confirmed, this session I'm mentioning, so we'll share that with you so that also you share with the community and then we can have them attend the session. So that is where I want to stop, and then we can have a comment regarding this agenda topic. So thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

All right. Seun for the record. Thank you very much Yaovi. And, of course, as I earlier mentioned, we thank you all for your support. And not just sitting as you like to put it. It seems that as you mentioned the fact that Paul was on the agenda, and as the last UA session he anticipated and this time he is no more. Just it should remind us of how short this life is and what you do is the most important.

Okay. I think there we go with what Yaovi has said. Some of the suggestions makes a lot of sense, especially with the dates, with the months. And I like to hear reactions, the floor is open now for kind of also jumping on it. But I like to hear what are your views on the suggestions that have been made by Yaovi in terms of how this particular second round should look like. The floor is open. I'm not seeing any hands.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Sorry, I didn't raise my hand. This is Silvia. Thank you very much, Yaovi. Just regarding all the key dates that Yaovi mentioned, important opportunities for the community to become more aware of Universal Acceptance. When we send the announcement for the second session of this Universal Acceptance Training, we can add a paragraph citing all those opportunities for people to participate, Yaovi. So if you can send us the list of key sessions during ICANN75 before any other activities that may be of interest.

Because one of the things we did with the [00:19:40 - inaudible] was actually to send an announcement if you may recall. I did say it's hyperlink there on item three, project announcement, announcing the

second session. So we need to draft something similar for the second session. So that will be a good opportunity to add those details of upcoming sessions. Thank you. As you see that the announcement there on the screen, which was sent several weeks before the actual session. So I think that's one of the goals for today to be able to do this, to see a timeline on when will this announcement be sent. Thank you, Silvia. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yaovi, you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you very much, Silvia. So I definitely think that something like this thesis is a very good approach. So I'm just awaiting. I'll check again. I don't have in my mind when the calendar for ICANN75, the global calendar will be published. But unless you have the date, it will know that date. So once we have the confirmation of this session, will send all this session for you and this will be included in the date as you mentioned. That is a good way so that we are sure that people are able to attend this session.

Now in the same time also if we don't have the date ready, we can mention that the second webinar is scheduled for October, something like that, if we don't have the date. But I'm thinking that we can set the date not today, but when we have a more clearance about the activities in October. So probably by ICANN75 we should be able to set the date for the second session. So again, thank you so much. I think that is a

good proposal. I mean, is there something like that to invite people to attend the sessions. Thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Seun for the record. Great. So if an action item can be put up for a draft. I mean, I think we actually collaborated a new document, we have Google Docs as I recall. So if something similar can be created so that we can then also collaborate on it. So our next item to staff -- Yaovi, is that an old hand or a new one?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Oh, sorry, old hand.

SEUN OJEDEJI: So on next to staff, maybe give it to Silvia to correct the same Google Docs content, and of course, then share it with everyone. So Yaovi can also give us the information in terms of date. But I think something that we need to agree on is the fact that the proposal of [00:23:09 - inaudible]. I want to believe that we are all fine with that. Yes, are we okay with October? Yaovi, are you going to get back to us on date options or we can just agree on the date now?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. I can come back with date option. So maybe by Friday. I'll see if my colleagues and then we propose a date in October. So let's say by Friday, after tomorrow. So week of October 10th. Yes, it's an option.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sorry, I'm not sure when the IGF is holding. I'm trying to recall and check.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: The global IGF?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Is it October or is it November?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: November, end of November.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Oh, okay. Okay, that's fine. That's fine.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: End of November. I think 29th to 2nd of December.

YEŞİM SAĞLAM: Seun. Sorry for interrupting. Seun, could you please speak a bit louder as it's hard for our interpreters at the moment.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. All right. Sorry. Is it better now?

YEŞİM SAĞLAM: Yes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. All right. Thank you. Yes, Yaovi, you were saying [00:24:47 - inaudible].

YAOVI ATOHOUN: I see Abdeldjalil is proposing to meet after ICANN75. So also for your information, Africa DNS forum is on October 5th and 6th. And October 4th we have the Kenya DNS forum. So until the 10th of October is a very difficult period. So maybe exactly from the week of 17th to 20th we can check during that week. So the 17th and 20th.

SEUN OJEDEJI: The week of 17th, yes.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. So we can find the date during that period. If this can work with everyone, we'll find the exact date by Friday. If it is possible, we propose the date.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello. And this is Silvia. Sorry, Yaovi, for the week of the 17th, our staff will be, we have an activity with another RALO, face-to-face. So that

week won't be possible for me and some other staff members. So I would suggest the week of 24th.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. Let me check with my colleague. What do you think, Pitinan, the week of 24th of the week of the 10th, which one do you think?

PITINAN KOOARMORNPATANA: 24th of October, is it?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. That week.

PITINAN KOOARMORNPATANA: Yes. I think it seems okay on my end. But depends on the -- yeah, for me it's okay.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. So we may consider this week for now. And then by Friday, we have some internal discussion and we propose the date.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thank you. Seun for the record. So action item for Yaovi to get back to us on the dates within the week of 24th October. I think that let's save that one. And at least to some extent, we have an idea of what month and what week and then the actual date is what will be pending. Maybe I should share [00:27:17 - inaudible] to make sure that

that's the information, or maybe just for us to get the final actual dates from Yaovi before we actually launch any of the social media efforts.

Now those details is what I'll be open to hear from response too from our social media team. I think Bukola and Sarah they are both on the call. And the floor is yours. Now, Bukola or Sarah, you have the floor. What are your recommendations or suggestions to get the social media out of this [00:28:07 -inaudible]?

BUKOLA ORONTI: Hello, this is Bukola for the record. Can you hear me?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. We hear you loud and clear. Thank you.

BUKOLA ORONTI: Okay, yeah. So just as I've been putting in the chat, we wait for Yaovi's response by 2nd of September as you suggested. And then we put it out there so that our members can be preparing their minds towards it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Seun for the record. What are the other things that you would require? I think you normally request pictures of the speakers and things like that.

BUKOLA ORONTI: Yes. Yes. I put it in the chat there. So Yaovi, you promised to get back. We would need the pictures and, like you said, during the last meeting, we might need to also reach out to the staff when they Zoom me because we usually want to put the Zoom registration link there. We might need them to help us to review the link to be send at ICANN one that they normally use. We're trying to get everything together during that period before we finally put out the fliers on our social media platform. So we need the picture of the speaker when you've decided a date and then the Zoom link for registration for the [00:29:34 - inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. All right. Thanks. Okay, I see Yaovi was saying something in the chart in terms of the dates. So week of 24th up to 27th. Okay, so week of 24th up to the date 27th. Okay, I think I see the same week of 24th which is fine. So thanks, Bukola. Is my audio better, Yeşim?

YEŞİM SAĞLAM: Seun, this is Yeşim speaking. I just got the confirmation from our interpreters. Yes. It is better. Thank you. Thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Yeşim, thank you. And so, Bukola has just told us some of the things that they will require and then we'll need to coordinate fast on this so that -- especially as they important get those data. It should be good that all this publicity start the ICANN meeting. I mean pre ICONN75. So we can also still talk about it during the ICANN face-to-

face, and also mentioned it along the corridors and so on and so forth. So is there a timeline that we are putting on this social media to start before ICANN75. So let's say can we put a target of the week of 12th at the latest? Is that doable, Bukola, Sarah, and any other social media team member on the call?

BUKOLA ORONTI: Yeah, this is Bukola for the record. It is doable as long as I can get the information we need. But that will still depend on the feedback.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah. I see the caveat. I get the caveat. So that's all to Yaovi to help. Yeah. So if Yaovi can actually provide the information we require by week of 5th, then you can use that week of -- sorry, I was looking at the wrong calendar.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. This is Silvia. The week of the 5th of September, which is the week before everybody goes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Yes. Yes. So the week on the 5th, exactly. So that is the right one.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Correct. Correct. Yeah, this is Silvia. It's a good timing, Yaovi, sorry for interrupting, because everybody, staff and many community members travel three days to get to Kuala Lumpur. So many people are traveling

on Monday the 12th. So I think the week of the 5th is a good one to have the materials, all the info required for the social media.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Yaovi, you want to respond to that, or is it just a notated response?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yeah. That is fine. So I think that before the 9th the end of that week we'll provide the information. And I'll be speaking again, I was adding that you may do 90 minutes because if there's a need to share more information about what is expected from the community for the comment, for the public comment, so we will hear more from our colleague, Pitinan. So we may need like a 90 minute.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. All right. Good. Seun for the record. I mean, there has been questions. I mean, I see Sarah asking in the chart on the topic. Is it going to be what's just quoted or you're going to be getting back to us on what the topic would look like? Yaovi, you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yaovi speaking. Yeah, we'll probably propose an agenda, but this topic is part of the agenda, is part of the agenda. Because it is linked to IDN. When I say IDN file for Latin, is linked to our IDN, but I think with my colleague Pitinan, we'll share the detail on the agenda with you. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, thanks. So in my suggestion, we'll be, Seun for the record, is for us to maintain the previous topic. I mean, that we called it. I think it was, what did we call it the last time? Universe Acceptance session or something like that, session one or the other buzz. So let's just mention that main topic and then we'll just call this one, the second session. So the other things that would just be topic would be in the agenda items itself. Okay, is that an old hand, Yaovi?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Sorry. But what I want to say that, as I've mentioned in the chat, we will share a draft agenda in the Google Doc. Let's say, at the beginning of the week of the, like, begin of the week of 5th of September, so that if there are input, we can do that during three days and then we have a final propose agenda before the end of the week. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, cool. That that sounds like a plan. Any further comment, Abdulkarim, I see your hand is up. You have the floor.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Okay. Sorry. Thank you. This is Abdulkarim for the record. I just wanted to find out that, do we have confirmed speakers yet? Because I'm thinking if we don't and we want to start advertising, sometimes that might be a challenge. So just to mention that. Then also to also confirm from Yaovi, that I will also suggest that probably the training

should also include something on this week from the root zone, especially how it is being generated, the idea. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: You have the floor, Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yeah. Thank you. Yaovi speaking. So Abdulkarim, I think this will be also part of what my colleague Pitinan will be talking about. So thank you for mentioning that one. Especially when we have the agenda of ICANN75. The main week, the topic that will be discussed, you will see that. And then from that one, this is why from that we'll have the final agenda that we picked up proposing. Thank you.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Yeah. What of the one about speakers. Yaovi, share for the record.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. Yes. The speaker will depend on the agenda. But so far, we have our main speaker. Note that Pitinan will be one of the speakers, like, if you want to cover this topic. And then we may have probably maybe someone. This is what I'm saying, that we will provide you this information as soon as we can, but Pitinan is one of the key speakers.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. So let's finalize the agenda. And then, hopefully, we can actually source the speaks within a short period of time. It's good to know that

we already have one of the speakers, which is known, Pitinan. If there are certain speakers that we anticipate that would be on the agenda, taking some of the topics, it should be good to give them the heads up even before, prior to finalizing on the agenda just in case so that they can tentatively block all the days that is for the session. I'm not seeing any new hands up on this particular item, which gets to the item to be, the social media aspect.

Actually, we've also kind of delve into the item three which regards to the preparation with the draft. And we've put in an action item on that. And we just need to, once we share Google Docs we will be following up on the contents. The important thing is we need to make that announcements prior to ICANN75. It needs to go out so that during ICANN75 we'll just be doing a follow-up. And of course, let in more members know of the particular events.

If there is nothing, no more comment on item three, we'll just use this opportunity to just call on Bram. Bram who is the outreach and engagement lead from AFRALO. And it was kind of just do a recap and of course, talking something on next steps. Bram, over to you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you so much, Seun. This is Bram for the record. I think in terms of the next steps, as you mentioned, we already sort of covered that. Just to emphasize that maybe you also reach out to our community members to try and drum the support for this second session to make sure that maybe we have quite a number of participants from across the continent.

But otherwise, I think we'll look forward from my colleagues from the social media. I think there's a continuous learning process and room for improvement. I believe that this second session will give us exactly that in terms of promoting the event and seeing how we can engage with our fellow members within the community. Unless there's a specific issue that needs to be brought to their attention, I would call upon Seun maybe to call the meeting to order. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes. Seun, for the record. Thank you, Bram. And of course, I'm seeing in the chat from Silvia, the first session at 40 something participants. We hope that we'll have much more than that this time around. But more importantly, we hope that we will have some of our members indicate what they have also done with some of the knowledge that has been shared, especially with getting the various local community to be UA compliant to some extent.

Okay. Thanks, Frank. You're welcome. We're just getting to round up. I guess you'll be able to look at the recorded much later. I'd just like to use this opportunity to thank everyone who had joined this call. For us who are from this region, this is working hour. I really appreciate it. And I think we finally had some reasonable number joining. And of course, to our social media team, we will continue to provide you any support with regards to content that you require. And of course, to our At-Large staff, thank you for the support as well. And the interpreters, thanks as well for the input. For myself, it's bye for now.

UNKNOWN SPEAKER: Thank you very much, Seun. Thank you, everyone. I will send out some items shortly. Thank you.

YEŞİM SAĞLAM: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a great rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]