YESIM SAGLAM:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO General Assembly Organization call taking place on Monday, 25th of July 2022 at 16:00 UTC. On our call today we have Eduardo Diaz, Alfredo Calderon, Denise Hochbaum, and Jonathan Zuck. We have received apologies from Glenn McKnight. And from staff's side we have Silvia Vivanco, Joe Catapano, Susie Johnson, and myself, Yesim Saglam. And I will be doing call management for today's call.

And with this, before we get started, just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking just in case we need transcription. And with that, I would like to leave the floor back over to you, Eduardo. Thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. Hello, everyone. I'm going to turn on my video so you can see my face. Welcome everyone to today's meeting. Can you move the agenda up so I don't have to switch? Right there. Okay, so I was looking at this really today in detail and we need to update the timeline. We're very tight, you will see how and why. And then we need to identify, finally, who is going to be invited to this General Assembly. So we should chat about that.

I had a question from Glenn, are we going to invite both of our ALAC reps? If you notice both of our reps are individual members, they're not ALSes. And if I remember well there was going to be only one individual

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

member that was going to be invited. But let's have that discussion down when we get to that.

I read somewhere that there is a travel list deadline for August 15, so it's important, you know, that's about two weeks and a little bit more to get that to ICANN constituency travel, but we can talk about that. We need a logistics update and a program update, and we'll get that done. So that's what I wanted to cover today, but the most important part here is travel list and agree on a timeline that we want to do going forward.

And you will see, let's go to the next item. So can you move it a little bit up? No, I want to see right there, both of them. If you notice, the first one is one that we discussed May 2nd. And one of the things that happen if you look at the bottom one is that we didn't have any GA meeting for the past three months. And we're supposed to have at least two of them and we're supposed to have a travel list 120 days before October 20th. So that didn't happen, and not blaming anyone, it just happened. Okay? We're just picking up this now and we missed three months of work.

And now you can see that everything is all tied up between August and the beginning of August and mid August, with an ICANN meeting in the middle. Which sometimes the ICANN meeting, staff gets really involved with this one or two weeks before and a week after these meetings people keep traveling or take vacations. And so it will be very tight. We are very tight. We really have to get this going during August, basically.

And then we should you know do all the little things and finalize things at the beginning of October to get there to October 20. So the timeline got shrunk. All the time that we had to do things, we missed that.

So knowing that, I am updating the timeline and if you can see the first thing that we have there is a meeting today. And I kept having a draft program ready by August 1st. I don't see Greg here, so if he gets in then we will—Oh, I see Greg, you're there. We can talk about that later on because he's in charge of putting that stuff together and has been tasked to do that.

And then we can talk about travel logistics and all of that. And we can come back to the timeline if necessary to the second one, which I will update it today and see how things move along this timeline of the things that we need to do. And I think the things that are most important here is to get, like I said before, we need to identify when we can move to the next item in the agenda. If you can move the agenda up a little bit, we need to identify who is going, how is it going to be invited, these people, and by when. We need to have a response back so we can come up with a travel list. And if the travel list is due August 15, we don't have too much time for doing that.

So why don't we jump into the logistics and talk about that? And, Silvia, I guess you can take over this or Greg or whoever, but this is something that staff is in charge of, all the logistics.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, hello, Eduardo, this is Silvia. So we are going to be working, because this meeting will be co-located with the [inaudible] meeting, we are

going to be working with the support of meetings team, Susie Johnson, who has joined today's call. So we have started to work with her and she has some updates for you in terms of logistics, where we are.

In regards to the participants invited, usually for all GAs there is one rep per ALS, plus one rep from the individual members. So that's the standard list of participants. So we would need to get an updated list of participants, which I believe we have. We should have in very good shape because the elections prompt staff to do an update. And then Susie will let us know of any deadlines for submission of travel request.

And so, Susie, you are able to speak, please, I give you the floor so you can give us an update.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Thank you, Silvia. Hello, Eduardo. Hello everyone. So I think that we will need the list within the next two weeks. I will confirm that. Well, I think that by the first week of August we should have the list put together.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay, let me look at exactly the times, okay? Because first week is going to be next week.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, so you're saying by August 5th we need a list?

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. That's going to be challenging, not because—I mean, we can get a

letter out today saying that this is going to happen, blah, blah, blah, please tell us if you can go or you cannot go. Now, how fast people

answer is something different.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct.

EDUARDO DIAZ: And that's something that is out of our control.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So if people don't answer, then we have to do follow ups.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

And if in the end they don't answer, we're just going to—What is it we're going to do? We need to go and talk to somebody external to make sure that they want to go, get more personal in terms of calling these people and saying, hey, you received this? Because we don't want to miss anyone in terms of if they want to go or not. So if that person cannot go then the other rep maybe can go. But there are ALSes that don't have a second rep. So it becomes more difficult in doing that. So all that process, which is outside of our control is what I'm worried about. Alfredo.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

We can work with you.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Yeah. No, I'm expecting staff to do this. I mean, I don't have to start sending letters and doing follow ups and stuff like that, I don't have the time. But anyhow, Susie, can Alfredo talk or do you want to continue talking?

SUSIE JOHNSON:

No, please continue.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Alfredo.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Okay, thank you. I just wanted to refine sort of that logistics of identifying the people that are going. I'm guessing that the first letter will be out today or tomorrow and maybe if we give them a deadline of by Friday to answer, and if they don't then we can send them another one. So by the middle of next week we have sort of a follow up with them so that we could try and meet the deadline that, if I recall correctly, is Friday of next week.

And as you mentioned, it's going to be quite tight because especially in North America, and you guys are aware of it, everybody is going to be on vacation. So I don't know if you'll be able to reach them, or if they will actually read their emails, especially if it's their business email that you're going to use to contact them. That's my reflection on that. Thank you.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay, so to do this we need help from staff to come up with some kind of letter on behalf of the NARALO Chair or what have you. We have a GA, we can do a little context and it's similar to—like [inaudible] now, before the ICANN75, we want to confirm if you are going or not, or if you're able to go or not. And if not, then maybe your second rep can go, I don't know, something like that. And we need help from staff to follow up on this. And so whoever is missing, let us know so we can also do any little follow up from the other side. So it's everyone doing it in one chunk.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

And we need to be clear about the deadline in our communication.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Yes, by when, that's right. Yes. Marita? You have the floor, Marita.

MARITA MOLL:

Yes. Thanks, Eduardo, just finding my mute button. Thank you. I'm just wondering, deadlines are great, they get people moving, get people doing things. And any letter that goes out would have to put a deadline, but how hard is this deadline really? Most people will probably be replying, but if there are some people who can't be reached until a little bit later on, is it impossible really to accommodate those people? Are ICANN's travel issues that hard that it would be impossible to accommodate that sort of thing?

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Susie, can you answer that?

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Yes. So they tell us we have to submit a database within 90 days, and that's too late for us. So, realistically, let's look at 63 days. Okay? So if we go back, so October 22nd. So I'm looking at what if we tell people please respond by August 15th. But, realistically, so if we say please respond by Monday, August 15th and then we have a week and a half, we can do—Okay, let's say—

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

63 days is August 10th.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Right. Okay, let's do August 10th the latest. And if any problem, we can

probably move it to the 24th. I mean, we are within the United States, I tried to explain that to them. Everybody will be traveling within

North America. I think the issue that they have, and they want 90 days is

because when people have visa issues, but I don't see that much of a

problem here, right? What do you think?

EDUARDO DIAZ: As far as I know everybody's in the region, there's nobody outside the

region.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Right.

EDUARDO DIAZ: And as far as I know, people from Canada, they don't need visas to

come to United States.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct.

MARITA MOLL: Not yet, Eduardo, not yet.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Not yet, okay. And people in Puerto Rico just fly by, you know, back and

forth. So that's not an issue.

SUSIE JOHNSON: So, let's say August 15 then. And then if we have to August 23—You said

23rd, right?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, the deadline that I read somewhere was August 15.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Okay, let's do August 15th.

GREG SHATAN: And we should make that a hard deadline. I think we should say

August 10th and that way we have five days, we can give people some

slop. But it's not just visa issues, it's also flight availability and cost that

need to be factored in. So those can also impact people. So I'm not

saying that ICANN travel can't act in a shorter timeframe, but the fact is

that 90 days was three days ago. So we're already playing with their

deadlines, and we don't have them on the call. So I think at the very

least we need to power this up.

And in terms of vacations, most Americans, unless they're psychologists

or university professors or something, don't really take much more than

two weeks in the summer. And people are glued to their phones

anyway, so hopefully we can get a response, at least an indication of

interest within the timeframe since right now it's only the 25th of July. So we'll hopefully be giving people a considerable amount of time to reply and hopefully several reminders for those who are laggards, like I sometimes tend to be.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, sorry, I was late. I lost track of time. So the question is, if we're doing it in California and we're only having North America, then we won't have an issue of visas?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

That was already said.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Oh, sorry, I came in the end, you were talking about visas that we need time to get them.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

No, no, no, we already said that nobody needs visas, so that's not an

issue.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay, sorry.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

It's okay. No problem. Okay. So we have an action item here, and this action item is for staff to prepare the letter to get people's attention and making sure they confirm if they can go or they cannot go. And we have a hard soft deadline of August 10, and then depending on August 10 how many respond, then we have five more days to get behind, you know, most of us know people personally and we know how we can contact them to get to whoever we need to get, make sure they answer. Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, my question is, again, on the timeline we have two different dates. We have our dates as being October 21 and October 22. So is October 20th the date that people get to the thing and it's on 21 and 22? I was little confused by the time because it starts October 20th and 21 when we're really having, according to this program, the assembly on the 21 and 22.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

You're talking about the timeline?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The General Assembly is the 20 and 21, and you have to get there the

19th.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, no, it says here the General Assembly is the 21 and 22.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Where am I seeing that?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Logistics.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well that's wrong.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well one of those is wrong and I have the—Yeah, so that's what the

problem I was wondering is.

EDUARDO DIAZ: The 20 and 21, I put the wrong dates there. First day is 20th and the

second day is the 21.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, okay. That's okay. So I would prefer it to be the other way, but it

gives me an extra day because the holiday was ending the night of the

18th and I was going to be someplace else. That's why I was hoping that

the one on the schedule was right and the other one was wrong.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Right, it's wrong. The schedule is [inaudible] timeline. Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, but then you have fix up the logistics, update on travel, that's all

wrong then.

EDUARDO DIAZ: We need to look into this timeline. Once we go over all this stuff, then I

will be updating this timeline. So now I have dates for the travel list,

which is the important part of this. I mean, we need to tell ICANN who is

going to this General Assembly so they can do their stuff there. And

then we can do all the other logistics that we're going to continue here.

But thank you for picking up my typo. Anything else?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Thank you so much.

GREG SHATAN: One other thing to note in the timeline is that the NANOG is the 17th to

the 19th.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

GREG SHATAN: Working with that as kind of our adjacent meetings, the idea that some

people might be doing both.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, there was a question about if ICANN was going to pay for those

extra dates.

GREG SHATAN: I doubt it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, we need to define that now so we don't have—

GREG SHATAN: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: But yes, I will add the NANOG meeting there. But that doesn't mean

that automatically ICANN will pay for those extra days. Travel wise, yes, I mean, you can come in late before and stay weeks there is you want.

But they pay only for the nights of the assembly, which is Wednesday

night, Thursday night, and Friday night, and then you leave Saturday. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. Yeah, so Wednesday night, Thursday night, Friday night. Okay. Yeah, and also I was going to say I would like to not move the dates from the dates we have here and do the NANOG meeting because some of us will not be there or cannot travel there.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Whoever wants to go to the NANOG meeting, they can go to the

NANOG meeting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

No, I mean, I want the General Assembly to be earlier.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

No, we're doing this at the same time that ARIN is doing their thing, the 20th and 21st. So I don't think everybody has to talk about changing

those dates, those dates are there.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay, thanks.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Thank you. So, Susie, are you doing the logistics also for the hotel?

SUSIE JOHNSON: Yes.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I think Glenn got a letter from this lady, I think it's Amanda.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Melissa Goodman. Melissa Goodman is my contact at ARIN.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

SUSIE JOHNSON: And I have written to the people at the hotel and we're going to be

working on finding rooms. I will keep you posted at every point where

I'm at. So as soon as I hear from them, I will let you know.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So it's important, Greg, that we get the program more or less

finalized because it has an impact on the number of rooms because I

remember one time having breakout rooms for, I don't remember what.

And if that's the case, if we have only one room, maybe we can do it in

one room or maybe two rooms. I don't know about the logistics of the

food, if it's going to be served in the same room or another room or

somewhere else, I don't know.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Right, we'll get that information. But that is a good point, Eduardo. I needed to know how many rooms you will need because if you recall, five, six years ago, we only had one room and we didn't have breakout rooms. We did do some breakouts, but we met at the hallway or something like that. So I will need to know how many breakout rooms.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

And the equipment that you need, like flip flops. That will be driven by the program itself.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

Correct.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

So as soon as you get that going and just keep us in the loop, then we will know more. And if you need something from us on the details or something, then we can get that to you very fast.

So we talked about two networking events, and one is the first day after we finish, ARIN and us to have a networking event between both organizations just to get some networking there. And at one point we talked about splitting that cost between both organizations. Plus, we don't know if they want to do that.

But remember, we have an MOU with ARIN and this is part of the collaboration type thing that we're doing in terms of bringing people from NARALO to see ARIN on how they work and vice versa. And so we wanted to do a networking event that day, first day.

And on the second day, we talked last time about going for dinner somewhere else, busing people to somewhere near the beach. I think Heidi mentioned something like that. But these are just things that I picked up from the other one, I don't know if anybody wants to comment on this.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

I think those are all good ideas. Let's make them happen.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

So, Susie, if there's something else that you need to know, let us know because I just put stuff in here that we talked about last time so you know that these things are happening.

So going back on who is going to be invited, we know that we're going to invite all the ALSes that are in good standing. And right now there are three or two that are being decertified, but we don't want to talk about when are they going to be decertified. They haven't been sent to ALAC for final desertification. One of them is the New York City ALS and the one from Colorado. That was ISOC Colorado that the chapter got disbanded and we got a letter from the president saying the chapter is gone so there is no organization here. And she asked us to take us from the ALS list.

But other than that, I don't know. I know there are ALSes that they haven't been in NARALO for quite a while. But we decided before, right, in the kickoff meeting that we're going to invite all the ALSes. It doesn't matter who they are, we are going to invite them. Then that was about

25. And talking about numbers, I think there are 25 and one individual member.

So the question that I got from Glenn, talking to him before this meeting because he wasn't going to be able to come here. So he said, are we going to invite our two ALAC reps, even though Marita is from an ALS and Jonathan is the—Well, Marita will not be an ALS at that point, I'm not really sure. But whoever comes, I think Bill Jouris is going to be one of the ALAC members and Jonathan will be there. So those are our two ALAC reps.

Now, they're both individual members. And the question is, are we going to invite both of them in this?

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Absolutely. I don't think there's any question in my mind. They're critical to the operation of NARALO.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Yeah, me too, by the way.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Yeah. I mean, anybody who's part of our executive committee, you know, the three ALS reps at that time—since it will be after the AGM, I won't be—and we don't know yet who the new appointee is going to be from the NomCom. But we'll need to invite them as soon as that's known. And, of course, the new president and the president for life, Eduardo, and Glenn. But the ALAC reps are—And one of my points of

order is that the ALAC reps need to be kind of intimately involved in NARALO and the GA is kind of the number one place for that to happen, or a number one place for that to happen.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

It has to do with budget, Greg, that's why I'm asking, it's about money. But now that we know that there are two ALSes, that's where I was trying to get to, that are being decertified, that at the moment that we counted the ALSes, we're not there. I don't think so.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

New York will be recertified. That's not going to be an issue. Plus, I would be the New York rep anyway.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

It's not the ISOC one in New York.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Oh, it is another one?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thomas, what was his name?

GREG SHATAN:

Oh, Tom Lowenhaupt.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Right, that one.

GREG SHATAN: He passed away. So yes, that one will not be rejuvenated. That one

sadly died with him, sorry.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, we tried to get Joly or somebody to take it but it didn't happen.

Anyway, it has been there for two years and we decided to move that away because it's doing nothing there. Well, yes. No, no, I wasn't talking

about the New York City, the ISOC one. That one is okay.

GREG SHATAN: That's what I thought, yes. Just want to make sure. There may be a

separate representative from the organization other than myself since

I'll be there as the president.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, that's right. That's a good question. Are you going to be there?

GREG SHATAN: I'm not saying there will be.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Are you going to be there?

GREG SHATAN: I can't do both.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm talking about head counts.

GREG SHATAN: Yes. I would budget for a separate representative and if there isn't one,

then that will just help the bottom line.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Right. It doesn't matter if you're a chair or an ALAC rep, it's one

headcount. Anyway, you're saying that you want somebody from the

New York—your ALS to be there, so it's the chair and one rep.

GREG SHATAN: Correct. And I would say the same thing for the ALAC members if they

were members of ALSes as well.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You became a chair. Who is the primary rep there then? You are the

primary rep.

GREG SHATAN: I'm currently the primary rep but—

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

As a chair, you will be the primary rep just like I did, just like anybody else did before me.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Okay. If that's the practice, then we'll continue with that practice. I don't have somebody that I'm thinking necessarily would be there. I'm just thinking out loud. We'll withdraw that. I might bring a therapy dog.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay. Marita, you have the microphone.

MARITA MOLL:

Thank you. If I'm hearing this correctly, obviously, there can be a representative from every ALS. And what I'm hearing you saying Eduardo is that, even those which have not participated are going to be invited. I have a little problem with that. Free trip to Hollywood, why wouldn't you take it? And then I'm also asking, are all individual reps then, individual members invited as well? Is that how it's working?

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Well, the point with the inviting Jonathan and Bill Jouris as ALAC reps, if it's the case that they are individual members. So the question is, are we going to invite an extra individual member because we were allowed to bring only one? They're not coming on ALAC budget. They're coming on this GA budget. So the money is not coming from ALAC to go to Hollywood. It's coming from this budget. Now, if they were going to be paid from the ALAC budget, then we have two slots there.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. **EDUARDO DIAZ:** It's all about money. MARITA MOLL: Okay. So my question is, why would you offer such a trip to ALSes who are not participating although they're still on the list? Are you intending to do that? **EDUARDO DIAZ:** Yes. MARITA MOLL: Because I think you said you would. **EDUARDO DIAZ:** Yes, yes, [inaudible]. MARITA MOLL: Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me. There are individual members who are really participating, why would they not be invited instead of ALSes who are not participating?

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Right. The reasoning behind it is, that part of bringing them to the GA is to reinvite them to something so they can—engage them back into NARALO. That's the reasoning behind it. ALSes and individual members, yes, I agree with you. There are many individual members that come and participate, but unfortunately, ALSes are the organizations that we want to invite, not individual ones. That's how it is.

Now, if there are slots to bring more people, then we can invite people from individual members. I don't see why not, especially the ones who are engaged. Part of doing this is bringing people that haven't been here for a while too. Say look, we are doing this and we want you to join and this is how we want you to join us.

MARITA MOLL:

Okay Eduardo, making a big assumption there but you're making the rules.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

No, no, I'm not making—that's what I got told by staff.

MARITA MOLL:

Okay.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

My view is that if an ALS is in good standing, then their representatives should be invited and that if they are not participating to the point where they're no longer in good standing and they have kind of been

officially put into a purgatory, then there may be a reason not to invite them. But at this point, I don't know that we've classified any of these less active ALSes as inactive or not in good standing or whatever the exact term is that we might be using. But I don't think we can exclude anybody from ALS that we consider to be in good standing even if it's been less active.

I do however feel the concern about active individual members and whether we would have room for any truly active individual members to participate in some fashion. I don't know that we can choose more than one "representative" that might align with the number of really active individual members who aren't ALAC representatives or the like or if we have a waiting list for them. But I do see the point that we should look beyond the structure to kind of who are the hard core of current participants. But I don't think we can exclude any ALS that is in good standing.

We should look at the list of individual members and see whether there are certain ones that we want to invite because of their importance and activity. Marita mentions Alan Greenberg in the chat as well. I don't think we should have people who are going to be conspicuously absent, who are otherwise significant participants in the work of NARALO or in the work of ALAC and At-Large, and who come from NARALO.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I want to also—Marita's intention is also good. I agree with that. Is that we need to figure out from the ALS individuals, how many people are very active? Because we know Alan is and he's a representative. Jonathan Zuck is, Denise is. Bill Jouris is an ALAC member now but he was. So there's a lot of those and I do think we should have them there.

I do remember that it is very hard to get people to be in active status because we tried to do—Glenn and I when we were doing it, tried to make it so that they had to come at least to two meetings a year, which is not onerous virtually. But then that got voted down as not being aligned with participation. And so we had to back away from what that meant. And I think that makes it even tougher.

So I'm thinking, how are we going to fix that with those individual members who are very active and the ones who aren't? And so I think we do have to add a couple more slots for individuals to do that. If we're going to include the ALSes who are not very active in an effort to get people involved, we should do the same thing, because we are pushing for there not to be any difference between the individual and ALSes but there is. So I think we need to look into that.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

So again, this has to do with money. If there is money, and we have a chance to say, well, we have three, four more slots that we can fill up, then surely, invite all those people that are very active and should be there. But at this point, we don't know. And I have a feeling by the way, that some of the ALSes will not come. But that's my own feeling. Maybe I'm wrong. But maybe one or two, I don't know. Because people are

saying that going to travel to a GA and be there for two days, maybe people don't have the time to do that. I don't know. People's lives are all screwed up with this pandemic. Anybody want to say any other comments?

**GREG SHATAN:** 

I would just say that we should ask for what we think we want, then we'll see what kind of reaction we get from ICANN. I don't think it's a big ask. And if we get shot down, we'll work with it and figure out how to deal with it.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay. So Marita.

MARITA MOLL:

So I think Greg just answered my question. The budget hasn't been set yet.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

It is set many years ago.

MARITA MOLL:

It is set.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Yes, it's set. These are the amount, and Susia has more details about it,

but it's set.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

You are correct, Eduardo. The budget was set three years ago. And it was a total of—let me look. I believe it was a total of \$64,000. I remember people asked why others are getting more. And the reason is because it depends on the number of ALSes. And you had 19 ALSes at that time.

MARITA MOLL:

Okay. And given that we're three years down the line, and air fares will have substantially increased as have other things, would there not be a little bit of room for negotiation?

SUSIE JOHNSON:

For what?

MARITA MOLL:

To increase the budget, because the budget was set three years ago when costs were considerably less.

SUSIE JOHNSON:

We set aside funds for the travel budget. So we break the budget into pieces. We have catering, travel and whatnot. If it goes over the amount of what we gave to travel, constituency travel, they will handle anything that it's over. If it's over the amount that we're given, then that's okay. If that's the only flight and that's the only—it doesn't matter. We

promised 19 ALSes for traveling. And if 19 ALSes go over the amount of the travel, there's nothing we can do. ICANN will take care of that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: One individual member. Or is that one individual member including

those 19?

SUSIE JOHNSON: It's included in those 19.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So it's 18 ALSes plus one individual member.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Correct. My number was 19. But I remember that there was an

individual involved in that too. But remember, five years ago, Eduardo, a

few of the ALSes didn't come, so you were able to invite I think more

than one individual.

EDUARDO DIAZ: That's what I am saying. Let's hear what Alfredo has to say.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Actually, my concern which Susie is trying to clarify—so the maximum

number of ALSes that can have a representative are 19 including individual member. So by the deadline, whichever deadline it is we have

established, we should know how many slots we have free to allocate to

other members. Am I correct? I'm just trying to figure out how many head count as you mentioned Eduardo or representatives of the ALSes we can have plus the two ALAC rep which are not among the 19 funded travelers.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

We need to get the list going. I can talk to Silvia offline on this. So we can put the list and then share with everyone because right now we have 24 ALSes according to what I have. It's not 19. And we have 34 individual members. Now from those 24, there are two like I said that are not going to be there because they're gone. Basically, gone. So really, we have 22.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

22.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

So there are four ALSes that will not be invited.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

No.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Because we have only 18 slots available.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I think we have to invite each ALS. At the time, three years ago, there

were 19. Now there are 22.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yeah, but the budget is set.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yeah. So we need to talk about that, Susie, because over three years,

more ALSes joined.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So it's 22 ALSes plus one individual member. We're talking about 23

slots. And like Marita says, airline tickets three years ago, they were

cheaper than now.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Eduardo, question here. So does the 22 include the ones that are

inactive?

EDUARDO DIAZ: No. The answer is no. We have 24 counts.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Oh, okay.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

There are two that we will not apply for this because they will not be invited. That's 22. And if we add one individual member, that's 23. I'm talking about slots, head count.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

So I think Marita has a good point there. I think if we can only bring 19, I think you may have to look at the ones that are inactive and use those and prioritize the ones that are newer who may be active or not. That was my thought.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

How do you define active? It's been defined already in the document.

There is a document that—

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I guess, have they voted?

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Hey, you know what, there is a document that was approved by ALAC that says how ALSes are going to be decertified. And how do we define active? It's not something that we're going to get into now. We want to invite everyone. The problem is, according to what Susie said, we will not have enough budget to bring everyone. I'm talking about ALSes. We say no individual members. We're talking about 22 ALSes which do not include the two ALAC reps because they are not ALSes per se. So we don't have time to discuss this. I will take this offline and then we're

going to talk about this, how we're going to solve this, because this is a budget problem.

And I was under the impression that there were 25 plus 1 but I probably heard about it in the wrong way. So there's an action item here to follow-up on the—we need to define exactly how many people can we invite. And then once we know that, then we send the letters because we don't want to send the letters not knowing who's going to get what. Because if 22 ALSes say yes, then what do you do at that point?

**GREG SHATAN:** 

I think we need to invite all of the ALSes and then we'll have to deal with that. If they all accept. We need to look at the budget and what the numbers look like. I don't know if we have any estimates on hotel or air fares yet. Hotel could easily be \$200 a day, so whatever, let's say \$600 times 19? That's \$12,000 roughly speaking. And then the flight as well. Right now, I can see flights from New York are running about \$250 which isn't terrible to be honest, but that could go up over time. And that's the cheapest of the flights of course. So I'll probably put in \$300. It's like \$900 a person. So we're talking just by that is a very rough number, our 19 people will cost say roughly \$20,000. I don't know how that fits with the overall budget for all the other things that we need to spend money on.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

So we need to follow-up with staff on this to get this straight up. In the meantime, there's an action item for staff to write a base letter and share with us how we're going to tell the people. Put this in context and

the fact that they need to confirm by such and such date. And then parallel to that, we're going to get the list. And the list has to be validated with the budget because Evan has a point there, he says, the budgetary process is forcing the organizers to determine who can participate and who can't. And the way I see it is that we bring everyone and maybe one of these networking events, they're gone. And that's where you say [inaudible]. We need to [inaudible] things here.

I don't know how much the hotel is going to cost. I don't know how much the rooms are going to cost. Do they charge for the rooms if you bring X number of people? I don't know what kind of deals they can get. But we will know about this and we need to know about this very soon because August 10 is around the corner. So yes, Evan, the idea is to bring to everyone. That's the priority. And then we play with the budget somehow, make it happen. And like I said, I don't think everybody is going to come, but that's my own thing. But we have to plan for everyone coming. That's the worst case.

So we have only five minutes, Greg. Do you want to tell us something about the program? I don't know if you had a chance to look at it. I know there's a wiki page. The link is in the agenda at the end. We can go and look at it. And that's what we're going to use to keep things updated there. There's a draft program that Glenn put. I don't know, for the May 2 meeting but I don't think that has been touched.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Yeah. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to touch that before today's meeting but I will make it my business to do so in the next few days. I

just got finished sending my son off to Japan for a year which turned out to be a very time-consuming proposition for me. But we will get to that and certainly any suggestion—everybody is welcome to look at the page as it stands and to provide any suggestions to me or on the page in comments since it's a wiki as to what they think we need to be covering. So I look forward to that.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Right there, keep it there. I'm sorry. I just wanted to keep what we presented in the first meeting. Can you move the agenda up? Right there, hold it there. There is a thing that we agreed to have. It's empower, engage and encourage, and there are some definitions there. That direction that we agree upon and again, these are things that—Greg, if you think we can do it differently, we should do it now because this is what would drive the program.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

No, I agree with these as goals. And then the question is, translating these into program items and also thinking about other program items if we want any program items to talk about. Current ICANN policy issues. If we want to talk about any North American issues that are burning as well. And we know we will need to talk business and the nuts and bolts of NARALO as well.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Do what you think is appropriate for the program that will drive these goals there. And we follow that program and then that would translate

in what Susie needs to know in terms of physical things that we need to make that program happen.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

We'll be doing most of the interpretative dance in the metaverse, so we should just plan for that.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay. Can you go to the AOB before we finish? We are very tight in the budget—in the program. So I'm recommending to have a meeting every week. I don't know if that's too much or too little. So any comments on that?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Eduardo, I think that it's good to have a meeting every week until the GA takes shape and we are in full coordination. And then maybe once we feel comfortable, then it can be every two weeks.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Any other comments?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Let me ask Yeşim. How is the calendar looking? I believe it's okay to have at least August or part of August every week.

YEŞIM SAĞLAM: Hi, Silvia. So are we checking same date and time? So Monday

16:00 UTC?

SILVIA VIVANCO: I think so. I like to avoid doodles. So if everybody is okay with today's

time and day, Monday, that will be fine.

YEŞIM SAĞLAM: If participants are available as well, our calendar is free for Monday

16:00 UTC.

SILVIA VIVANCO: How do you feel about it? Eduardo and everyone.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, it works for me.

GREG SHATAN: Sounds good.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry, what's the UTC again?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Now, today, 16:00.

GREG SHATAN:

Same time.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Every Monday, that's fine. And remember, we don't have to be an hour.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

No.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

If we finish 15, 20 minutes, 30, we're gone. But at least we come together and we can discuss any issue at that moment. I'm pretty sure we're going to be talking, sending stuff offline in the meantime.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Eduardo, one thought I had before we go. Is there any chance—if we can't get our other ALSes in—to use any of the discretionary money to be able to send people there or if CROP is not in existence or something like that? Just one thought.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

It is a good question but I don't know the answer. And the answer have to come from staff because they are ones that manage the budget.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, it's just a thought.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, it's a good thought.

SILVIA VIVANCO: When and if that budget becomes available, I guess, it would be

possible. But I am hesitant to say right now because at the moment,

that budget is still not available.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You mean, the time slot for the 16:00?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No, no, no, the discretionary funds, I was talking about.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So again, we will get this—somehow, we're going to get it

straightened out with the money and things like that. But I think we've

got a good conversation going here. So action item is to do this draft

letter, Silvia, so we can send it tomorrow. We would share the draft

letter with Greg, me and Glenn, so we can look at it. And then we can

get that going. And if you can add the number of people that you think,

that you know that are ALSes which are the ones that I have in my

agenda—but that has to be corroborated somewhere else. I don't know.

And then we'll put them there, so we know who we are inviting. And

then we can chat offline what individual members we would like to have

here.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yeah.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

We want to add to these 22, two individual members, our ALAC reps. We're talking about 24 and no more individual members. If that was the worst case—what you said, we always talk about worst case. Yes, we do because you plan for the worst case and something else happens. And it happens, then you have a plan for it.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Right.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Well, the worst case is the best case in that we would have too many people being interested in participating.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

That's right. That will be the best case, yes.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

If we we're having the meeting in Cleveland, that would be a better test to whether people are coming in order to participate as opposed to going to la-la but anyway. Let's cross those bridges of over participation when we come to them.

when we come to them.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Susie, you're going to be the last one.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Thank you very much. I just wanted to confirm with Greg, how many

rooms are we going to need? One room for the entire program, but do

you need one room for ... what do you call it?

GREG SHATAN: Breakout?

SUSIE JOHNSON: Breakout rooms. I mean, are we going to need different breakout areas?

Maybe not rooms if they're too expensive. Do you want us to look for

different locations at the hotel? Could you...?

GREG SHATAN: I don't know yet but we'll figure that out whether we're going to have—

I think with the relatively small number of people attending, my gut

reaction is that we would not split up into parallel meetings. If we had

90 people there, I think we might try to have some breakouts. We have

to have some more round table type discussions but I think this is pretty

much a round table number anyway. And I think that given the expense,

unless there's a really good reason to have a breakout type of time.

And also, depending on the size of the room and the number of people,

we could also do breakouts as I've seen which is just to go to opposite

corners of the room and to meet. If that's what we decide to do in a

pinch, we can do that as long as the room is big enough to

accommodate that. I've done that more than once. I never realized it was for budget but now I realize it probably was.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: In New Orleans, we had a lunch area in a separate room. And so we

could also, if we have that, we can also keep that room an extra hour or

two and then use that as a breakout room and tie it together.

GREG SHATAN: Right, we should see—what hotel are we going to be at, do we know

[inaudible] the meetings?

EDUARDO DIAZ: The Loews Hollywood.

GREG SHATAN: Okay. So I guess we need to see what they propose for the space and if

it is a space that has for instance a foyer or an outside area where lunch

might be set up, that could be used conceivably.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, because in New Orleans we had—

GREG SHATAN: So let's see what they propose.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: In New Orleans, we had a separate room for lunch and so that's what I

was thinking.

GREG SHATAN: Yeah. Let's see what they propose. That's I think the exception rather

than the rule for meetings of this nature.

SUSIE JOHNSON: And confirming that we're going to have two full days, the 20<sup>th</sup> and the

21st from something like—just saying out loud, 9:00 to 5:00.

GREG SHATAN: Yeah.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Okay, just confirming that. Okay, thank you very much.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Susie.

SUSIE JOHNSON: You're welcome.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So the next meeting is going to be next Monday At 16:00 hours,

so you will send [notification] and we keep talking over there. In the

meantime, Silvia, we'll wait for your draft letter and refine the list and then we start working with that and the numbers and the budget and we try to shuffle things around so we can get as many people that we can get there.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yeah.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Okay. So see you next week.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Excellent. Thank you. Thank you so much, Eduardo.

**GREG SHATAN:** 

Thank you, everyone.

**EDUARDO DIAZ:** 

Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Bye-bye now.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you all for coming. Bye-bye.

YEŞIM SAĞLAM:

Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a great rest of the day, bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]