

---

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the Operations Finance and Budget Working Group call on Thursday, the 21<sup>st</sup> of July 2022.

On today's call on the English channel, we do have Holly Raiche, Vanda Scartezini, Alfredo Calderon, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Marita Moll, Maureen Hilyard, Nthabiseng Pule, Ricardo Holmquist, and Sébastien Bachollet. We do not have anyone on the French channel. We do have on the Spanish channel Harold Arcos. We have received apologies from Judith Hellerstein, Satish Babu, and Heidi Ullrich from staff. We have Aziz Hilali joining us now as well. From staff today, we do have Silvia Vivanco, Becky Nash, Alex Morshed, Giovanni Seppia, Negar Farzinnia, Ted Gonzalez, Margaret Benevides, and myself, Michelle DeSmyter on call management. Our Spanish interpreters today are David and Veronica, and our French interpreters are Aurelie and Camila.

A friendly reminder to please state your name before speaking, and to please speak slowly and clearly for our interpreters today. With this, I'll turn the meeting back over to Holly Raiche. Please begin, Holly.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to all of you. This is the beginning of probably six months of OFB Working Group responding to, first of all, the IANA budget, and then the ICANN budget and operating initiatives, and finally having a look at ABRs. The cycle of comments are on our particular webpage. But what we're going to do is start with today, looking at the date so that we know when those

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

particular opportunities for comments come up when the particular documents have developed, when they're open for comments, and then when comments are due so that we can actually develop a running six-month schedule for the work of this committee.

We will have a look at one of the operating initiatives, one that's been identified by this group and by the larger ALAC community, as well as our most important operating initiatives. This will be discussed particularly at ICANN75 but we're going to have a brief update before that, and then talk about operating initiatives as well. Then we're going to finally look at the UA and ICANN governance priorities, and finally, any big steps, probably setting some meeting dates so that we can actually put this in our calendars and start the work of us looking at and commenting on the relevant Operations and Budget Working Group documents.

First of all, let's start with—Becky, I'm not sure who's presenting—but a discussion with the dates and the schedule we have for the six months coming up as to when we will have the opportunity to start our discussions on our comments, and then submitting the comments to ICANN. So with that, Becky, if this is your session—

BECKY NASH:

Hi, Holly. It's actually Margaret from our team who is going to be presenting. Before moving to our topic, I see that Sébastien has his hand up.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Right. Okay, Sébastien. Thank you. I've got to start looking at hands. Thank you.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Holly. Thank you, all participants. I just wanted to ask one question. Do we want to list all the upcoming public comment for the OFB Working Group or just the one linked with budget and equivalent? Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: I was looking forward from now for the next six months, and the next six months does include starting with the IANA, and then the ICANN. And we also need to have a discussion about ABRs before they are due, have a look at the necessary connections between the operating initiatives, what ICANN initiatives are, and how we actually craft ABRs. Also have a look at the ABRs that have been successful and why, and some of the ABRs that have not been successful, and why. So, we're going to be looking at all, looking at a six-month schedule, which is what I would like to talk about. Does that answer your question?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sorry. There will be other public comments coming for this group in the next few days or weeks. Therefore, I think it's important to have them also in our landmark.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Right. Would you list what they are? Because the three that I've mentioned are the ones that are on our webpage. So what did you have in mind?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: The TOR of the pilot Holistic Review. It will be coming very soon. I feel and I am sure that Cheryl will agree with me that this group needs to look at and to work on, and I think it's important to have that in our radar. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you, Sébastien. Yes. I've had a look at it. If you look at the ICANN website, it's down to be released in August, although that's not part of our budget schedule, that is certainly something that we'll be looking at. So that hasn't been released yet, but it is listed for release in August. But we can add that to our schedule. Thank you. Are there any other comments?

MARITA MOLL: It's Marita. I've got my hand up.

HOLLY RAICHE: Sorry. Wait a minute. Marita, go ahead. Thank you.

MARITA MOLL: Oh, okay. Thanks, Holly.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: I can't find it on my screen. For some reason my screen has disappeared.

MARITA MOLL: No worries, Holly. If it was 4:00 AM, I wouldn't even have my eyes open, let alone find the screen.

HOLLY RAICHE: Sorry. I was [inaudible] the top of the list. Go ahead.

MARITA MOLL: Yeah. I just want to build a little bit on Sébastien's comment about the Holistic Review comment there. Now, there was a little discussion about that in another forum, I'm trying to remember, I think it was CPWG. I don't know. I mean, there is a perception and I guess it's correct that there's not very many people in this group. That is really going to be a very key subject that we want a lot of people to be involved in. So I'm a little sorry to say that it looks like most of the discussion will be going on CPWG, although they already have way too much on their plate. I don't know if there's any resolution to the suggestion that maybe there could be a third group. Theoretically, I think it really belongs over here. But I agree with the fact that not too many people here, and it needs to be more. I don't know how to resolve that. Cheryl's got her hand up. Maybe she's got an idea.

---

HOLLY RAICHE:

First, I'd like to say that it was something that I did bring up. It was something that Jonathan, who is one of the leaders to get CPWG, indicated he would like to be part of the discussion. In the discussion, it was not decided between us as to where it goes. I think it's something we—between us and with Maureen—have to decide where. However, wherever it is, you're absolutely right. It's a very important issue for this group. It's just that the Terms of Reference have not been released. They will be released next month. Perhaps we can add an item to the agenda. It may be something that ALAC as a whole should be involved in. I mean, I don't think it's up to us as this working group to grab necessarily the issue. Jonathan was very unsure as to whether it is a CPWG item. So I think ALAC may be the place where that's decided. Anyway, I'm quite aware of and had started discussions on the Terms of Reference. But thank you for raising the issue. Cheryl, thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Holly. I just wanted to point out, as I did in chat, mention what's been discussed, which is that it has not been decided how ALAC will approach this in terms of which of its working group will or won't be involved, that's ours or the CPWG. So absolutely correct. So let's not get too hysterical about it just yet.

But of course, the ALAC has had its appointed members deeply and I believe very effectively involved in the development of the Terms of Reference. So unlike many things, it would be here I'd say astonishing is not disappointing if either of these committees, ours or Jonathan and Olivier, CPWG or, of course, the ALAC/At-Large suddenly turned around and went in directions that were not in keeping with the four very active

---

appointees, Sébastien included, who formed this Terms of Reference for the Holistic Review and indeed previously served on the ATRT3 from whence it has come. That being said, the whole of the ALAC—and, of course, At-Large—probably needs to be involved. That’s where this concept of it not necessarily being a subunit drafting, in other words, one of the working group activities rather a combined or different approach. So let the leadership work it out.

But we also can rest assure in this group that our fingers—in other words, the OFB Working Group’s fingers—have been absolutely all over this. Because the same four members who I mentioned, which is Daniel, [inaudible], Sébastien, and myself are the core group from the subteam of this working group, and that is the Prioritization subteam. It is your group, your people, who are also ALAC’s appointments. So we’ve already got our clutches into it. So we don’t need to worry but we do need to watch. Thanks.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you. As I said, it’s something that Jonathan and I have already started discussing, and it will be an item I’m sure for ALAC. Maureen, be prepared. Thank you very much. Now let us proceed. Becky, thank you. That’s a good place to start. Could this presentation start? It’ll be excellent. Thank you.

MARGARET BENEVIDES:

Absolutely. Thank you so much, Holly. Thank you, everyone. This is Margaret Benevides for the record. I just want to first thank everyone at ALAC and particularly the OFB Working Group for your partnership in

---

the 18-month long FY24 planning process—a lot goes into these 18 months—and you really help us with the development of the ICANN strategic and operating plans. So with every cycle, we try to get better and reassess how we can improve and apply as needed.

So I wanted to spend a lot of time today to walk through the key dates that are going to impact your team, and then the upcoming cycle, particularly now with the operating plans in full swing ahead. I wanted to share with you first that we will be having a kick-off session for the IANA Community webinar that will be scheduled for August 11 and 12 UTC. So during that time, we'll review the planning process, the proposed IANA operating priorities for FY24 key assumptions and the timeline. So there will be a formal announcement that goes out on Monday, as well as in the community leadership digest. But I just wanted to give you guys that as a heads up that it is coming and we really encourage your attendance to kick off the process.

Now, with regards to public comments for IANA, currently we have public comments scheduled for September 15 to October 25 to seek committee feedback on the draft IANA and PTI operating plans and budgets for FY24. So, if you have any thoughts into that, we would love to hear from you at that time. As usual, there will be time to ask clarifying questions as well that will be through the end of September, in case you have any questions about the draft plans that are submitted in the draft budgets that are submitted. Then we are preparing the Summary Report. It's scheduled for publication in early December. So that wraps up IANA and PTI as a whole for the upcoming six-month timeframe. Now, with regards—



---

HOLLY RAICHE: Margaret, I'm sorry to interrupt. During this time, I'm assuming that there will be a series of webinars. So that there will be a presentation of the PTI budget, and I'm hoping it will be at least two or three so that those of us who live on this side of the world can attend as well as the other.

MARGARET BENEVIDES: Absolutely, Holly. Thank you for bringing that up. Yes, we are trying to be very mindful of time zone. So we always record our sessions, one, so that absolutely, if you need to get the recording, it can be found on our wiki page and I can drop the link afterwards in the chat for you in case a time zone or date is not convenient. But we are planning to have for the IANA Community webinar, it's going to be the 11<sup>th</sup> of August at 16:00 UTC and 12<sup>th</sup> of August at 00:00 UTC. So hopefully that will help alleviate some of your time zone challenges, for sure.

Then going into ICANN. Just because of the timing of the cycle and looking at the work plan in general, we will only be having one webinar for the ICANN Planning webinar, but it will be recorded and it will be found on the Prep Week page, in case you need to review that video. We're always available for any comments before and after as well. So I just wanted to share that for you.

To kick off, like I had mentioned for ICANN, we will be having that webinar during ICANN75 Prep Week, that we'll go through the planning process and the timeline, as well as provide an update to the

---

Prioritization project as well. Okay. So I just wanted to share that with you. Yes? Did you have a question, Holly? Just trying to make sure.

HOLLY RAICHE:

No. I'm saying I'm very glad that there will be a recording.

MARGARET BENEVIDES:

Oh absolutely. Yes, yes, yes, definitely. I apologize. I know it's very hard with the time zones since we're such a global kind of situation here. So that's ICANN75.

Then for public comments, the draft plans. Similar to last year, we will start public comment and also share with the ICANN community via two webinars again, time zone-friendly, hopefully, in mid December. So we're thinking the 14<sup>th</sup> and the 15<sup>th</sup> of December, just to let you know, and it'll be respective opposite time zones for the draft plan. Then the public comments will kick off at that time, the 14<sup>th</sup> of December through the February 6, 2023 timeframe. So I just want to share that with you as well.

In addition, as we usually do, we will be sharing the public comment statistics. We're planning to do so during the Prep Week of ICANN76. It looks like it's going to be about end of February, early March, based on the current timeframe. We will be drafting our Summary Report and publishing that towards the end of March, early April. And Board adoption will be late May with the EC process starting right after that. So that goes through the ICANN planning cycle. Any questions before I move on to ABRs?

---

All right, so ABRs. Because I know this impacts you guys as well, and we have the Finance Team represented here as well, if you have any additional questions, but we have the ABR period scheduled for November through January. There will be time for consultations with all the different SO and AC groups, if needed as well. So at this time, I'm happy to take any questions on the overall timeframe. Again, I encourage you to join us during the community webinars as well, if possible, because we'll go into a lot of the details about the process, more details about the timeline, the key assumptions etc. I'll pause for comments.

Okay. Well, I'm glad. It seems like it was relatively clear for everyone. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us at [planning@icann.org](mailto:planning@icann.org). We're always here and available. Thank you again for your partnership and we look forward to working with you. Okay. I'll pass the floor over.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Holly, I think you're muted.

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Holly, if you're speaking, we're not able to hear you.

HOLLY RAICHE: I was muted. Sorry. Yes, Margaret, one final question. Could we have perhaps a special session just on ABRs before November or sometime in early November, just to review what to expect? And we can have a discussion about the application, what to expect in the application, and

---

have a review of what you're expecting. I certainly had discussion during ICANN74 where it was said to me that what would be very useful is have much closer tie-in between, say, the budgeting initiatives and the ABRs. But that information would be really useful for people wanting to put in an ABR. So what I'm suggesting is perhaps an additional session in early November or November just on the ABR topic and the best way to formulate them, so to guide all of the ALAC or At-Large community members in developing successful applications. Do you think we can schedule that later?

MARGARET BENEVIDES: That's a great question, Holly. I'm going to defer to Alex Morshed from the Finance Team because I don't want to speak on his behalf. However, following what was done last year, it looks like they had an informal webinar scheduled for early December on the ABR process. So I assume it's probably going to be very similar. But, Alex, do you want to take that just to be on the safe side?

ALEX MORSHED: Sure. Hi, everybody. This is Alex Morshed from ICANN Org Finance. So I am actually relatively new to the ABR process. It's something that someone else on our team used to own and going forward on Ted Gonzalez, who's a new team member on this call, will be taking over that process from a finance perspective. However, I think that the Policy Team is very much involved with the ABR process. It's actually something that they own and manage. So we'll definitely have to get

---

back to you. But if there was a meeting last year, we will intend to do that again this year.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay. There wasn't a meeting. I'm suggesting that given that there were several ABR requests, some of which were successful, some not so successful, and it would be really helpful just to develop an informal session on ABRs on the relationship to the operating initiatives, and what you're looking for. I think that would help. All of the At-Large community would be looking—

ALEX MORSHED:

Yeah. So the Policy Team does do the criteria. So we would be looking for further guidance on that. But we'll certainly get back to you on next steps.

MARGARET BENEVIDES:

We'll take that as a note.

HOLLY RAICHE:

That is excellent. Thank you very much. Does anybody have any further questions? Okay. I thank you all, particularly Margaret, for what has been a very helpful session outlining the dates that we can work to in the next six months. So thank you. From there, could we go to the brief update on the MSM?

---

GIOVANNI SEPPIA:

Thank you, Holly. Thank you for having us today during this meeting. Today we are going to provide you with a brief update on the project. That is Board project on Enhancing the Effectiveness of ICANN Multistakeholder Model, which the Implementation/Preparation department supports. The presentation is going to be given by my colleague, Negar Farzinnia. This presentation is in preparation of the engagement sessions that we are planning during ICANN75. The engagement sessions we are planning to have are with most of the SO/ACs and they are really going to be engagement sessions in the sense that it's not going to be just a presentation but we are going to survey the participants and also request the participants to provide input on several topics that are related mainly to the four projects initiatives that we have selected for the initial evaluation, which Negar will speak during this presentation. So that said, again, thank you for having us. It's really a pleasure. I leave the floor to my colleague Negar, and then we will be very happy to answer any possible question you may have. Thank you.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

Thank you, Giovanni. Hello, everyone. For the record, my name is Negar Farzinnia. I'm happy to provide a quick update to you on the status of the Multistakeholder Model project and what you're working towards for our session at ICANN75. So, just a quick reminder to everyone that evolving and making improvements to the effectiveness of ICANN's multistakeholder model is one of ICANN's strategic objectives. It's a specific project that is owned by the Board and the Implementation Operations Team of ICANN Org helps support the project and helps

---

working towards addressing the strategic objectives. Let's go to the next slide, please.

As we had noted previously in our presentation, there are some key steps that we are taking to advance this project forward. And those are to evaluate some of our existing projects and initiatives that were included in the initial work plan that was finalized in October of 2020. The goal is to evaluate and assess these projects to determine how they're addressing the issues that were identified as part of the MSM project. To investigate other projects and initiatives that were not initially included in October 2020 plan, mainly because they did not exist at the time. So there's a lot of great work that is getting done now that could also help improve and address some of the issues that we have seen hindering our multistakeholder model of work. Of course, to highlight here that we need your help. So we are going to obviously be engaging with you, as you're aware, not just during ICANN75 but really on an ongoing basis to help resolve these issues together. Let's go to the next slide, please.

As a quick reminder to everyone, there were 20 projects listed as part of the October 2022 paper and work plan. Of these 20 projects, we ended up selecting four projects that you see listed here. These four projects are ones that have been fully implemented but they also involve the whole of ICANN community. I think it's really important to make sure the projects that you're evaluating at least on the first go around are ones that everyone can weigh in on.

These four projects, as you see, are about improving communications between ICANN Org and the community, Consensus Playbook,

---

Fellowship Program, and ICANN Learn. As I noted before, there are additional projects we are looking at that were not in existence before. Some of them you can see are listed here. The full list of these projects is posted to the MSM wiki space, the link to which we will share shortly with you in the chat. This list is kept up to date, as is the webpage that tracks the progress on our work. So, let's go to the next slide, please, because I want to give you a sense of some of the metrics that we were looking at in evaluating these projects.

Looking at the Fellowship Program, for example, we are looking at elements such as the diversity of the candidates selected geographically and otherwise, their participation in ICANN meetings once Fellowship Program has been concluded for their term, their participation in ICANN work utilizing ICANN Learn and whether they find any value in it, and really, ultimately, whether the Fellowship Program results in increased and long-term participation in the ICANN ecosystem.

As you may know, the Fellowship Program was launched in 2007 at ICANN29 in San Juan. The goal of this program was and is global capacity building to strengthen the multistakeholder model and foster opportunities for individuals to become active participants in the ICANN community. For example, so far, we've had 813 Fellows that are representing 160 countries. Of those, currently 119 former Fellows serve in the Board and in the community functions, and we even have 12 former Fellows that work at ICANN organization.

So some examples of key findings we've had so far. 95% of the Fellows continue to participate in global and regional events over the past three years. 15% of them have held chair or co-chair positions. Nine former



---

Fellows served as chairs or co-chairs of community groups or subgroups, and eight Fellow alumni have been pen holders on policy documents or other documentation. So the program seems to be effective, although we will continue to analyze our findings. But as effective as this program has been in allowing new participants to become active part of like an ecosystem, there's more we can do.

Our Fellowship Program alumni have actually provided some great suggestions and areas of improvement to us that we should continue to look at to help improve the positive impacts of this program even further. Some of these suggested improvements are more information about regional and global events and activities, more information about open leadership positions and working group activities that are open for involvement, clarity about concrete actions or paths for newcomers to follow, to join the community. When it comes to inclusivity, alumni have spoken about the need for greater air force to allow participation in multiple languages for non-native speakers. They've mentioned the need for more mentorship opportunities and particularly for the younger people so that they'll stay engaged and feel integrated in the community. So as you can see, there is a lot of work to be done yet, but we've also had a lot of great findings so far. We will continue [inaudible] the next step of the community soon as we continue to complete these evaluations of the projects. So let's go to the next slide and I'll talk a bit more about ICANN75.

So yes, the meeting is coming up sooner than we can all anticipate. We are planning a number of hands-on engagement sessions with you and other constituencies on the multistakeholder model projects and evaluation of these projects. Specifically, we're looking to perform

---

hands-on evaluations of consensus-based decision-making and the use of the Consensus Playbook that was released a couple of years ago and whether there are additional work we can do together to help make the decision-making process in our bottom-up multistakeholder model of governance more effective. So stay tuned. I think that At-Large hands-on session is in the process of being scheduled. We're looking forward to hearing more details. Again we'll continue to work with you and all other constituencies to help gather data on some of these projects but also to help provide more information to you on our findings and evaluations of the other projects that we have selected. I'll pause here to see if there are any questions that Giovanni or I could help answer for you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Any questions of Negar so far? Okay. We'll hold the questions until the end of your presentation. I do have some questions but let's finish the presentation. Thank you.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

Thank you, Holly. That's it for this presentation. That's the last slide that we have. So I will hand it over to you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Good. Thank you very much. Marita? I was just about to say, "Marita, do you have a question?" Marita Moll, go ahead, please.

---

MARITA MOLL: Thanks, Holly. Yeah, this is great. Just to see you're offering us this information on specific ways you're doing the evaluation. I've been looking at your page. I'm just wondering how much of this information you just gave us will be on the page.

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Thank you, Marita. Yes. I was about to actually put that in the chat to answer Sébastien's question who has the same thing. Yes, we will be publishing this data on the wiki page, all of the information on the evaluation and the next steps to reach you with the community's help and send to the wiki space for everyone's reference, for future reference, and for follow-throughs in the future, just to see a trend of improvements that we were making over time.

MARITA MOLL: Okay. That's great. Just a little follow-up. I'm really looking forward to an opportunity of really looking at that data and information and see where there could be further enhancements, but it's a great start.

My other little point, and I don't want to be too nitpicky here, but I want to go back to slide number two. It rankles me a little bit to say this owned by the Board. The project Enhancing the Effectiveness of ICANN's Multistakeholder Model, that's exactly the same wording that is used when we're talking about strategic planning, when we're talking about the budget, operational things, and if maybe that language could be specified a little better. That's all. Just a little sticky point.

---

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Thank you, Marita. I appreciate your input. We'll definitely look into it. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. Are there any other questions? Marita, I think that's an old hand. Are there any other questions? I have a few. Coming under the multistakeholder model, what we have seen has been—one of the successful projects was simply a survey to ascertain opinions on particular issues. But from the multistakeholder model, would you be looking at if it's a project, some of the other projects that I could arguably come up with would be certainly we've had the translation is a way of improving the participation. But would you be looking at other things that improve participation or that support additional, let's say, resources for meetings, something that can actually assist us, perhaps having education sessions? There's lots of things that some of the regional organizations do, the use of things like Facebook, maybe resources to provide additional information or develop information beyond simply the Fellowship Program. How far do you see the MSM extending to the sorts of things that support participation or support gathering information that can be fed into ICANN?

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Thank you, Holly. That's a really great point that you're raising. One of the things that we had noted in our previous presentation is that the Multistakeholder Model project is not a one-time project. It's an evolving model that always needs to adapt to the needs of the community, the needs of the ecosystem, and the changing business

---

models. Precisely for the reason you noted, we are looking at projects, not just the ones that were initially listed under the MSM portfolio projects, but also ones that have been taken on in the recent months, and there could be a lot of items that we haven't looked at yet.

So my suggestion, if you have any suggestions of that, I would appreciate any input you can provide. We have an e-mail address for our team, it's called [implementationoperations@icann.org](mailto:implementationoperations@icann.org). I'll put it in chat shortly. Feel free to send us your suggestions. But by all means, yes, fairly certain, we will be looking at projects other than, for example, just Fellowship with the NextGen program for increased participation or methods of improved participation at ICANN.

Some of the suggestions we got from the alumni of the Fellowship Program are actually pointing to that different ways of engaging for additional information, different ways of learning how to engage better, or what sessions are coming up, what engagement opportunities there are. I know our Policy Support colleagues have actually already started working on some improved plans upon the Fellowship Program, for example, in terms of mentorship, and other areas of improvement. So I think there's a lot that we do in cooperation with our Policy colleagues and our community members to help look at other areas of improvement. This is, again, one of the other reasons we want to engage with community members with your constituencies just to get input like that, that can help us make improvements where we don't have a lot of area for improvement today.

---

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you very much. The reason I asked is that—I think it's why back in March—we of the ALAC had a session, and it was actually just a very casual session with people suggesting what were initiatives to improve communication, how we responded to the objectives. There was a lot of information that came out of that on the things that could be done. I'm thinking of revisiting that particular session to see what else aside from the projects that you've outlined could be done to assist ALAC in both understanding the work of ICANN and contributing to it. That would be very helpful. Now, Alfredo, you had your hand up? Go ahead, please.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Yes. Thank you, Holly. Negar, thank you for the information you provided on the Fellowship Program. Let me give you sort of a background. I'm a Fellow, I'm alumni now. I was in the Selection Committee for the Fellowship Program, and for two years, I was a mentor. It's great to hear that your team is looking into the Fellowship Program and the mentorship process. My biggest concern is once—and be aware, I just finished my two years of being a mentor—what is going to happen with those alumni that we have mentored for a few months, and what are we doing to follow up on them?

I keep communicating with my mentees for the last two years. One of the administrators of the Facebook page that ICANN Fellows has that, by the way, ICANN doesn't support, although that's a means of communication. My question is, as a follow-up to what Holly said, what is actually ICANN doing to increase the ways we communicate with those alumni, with those Fellows, so that once they finish their process, we can actually keep following them or be close to them and keep them

---

informed? Right now I'm using WhatsApp, I'm using that ICANN Fellows page that ICANN doesn't support, so it's something that we do by ourselves. So I was wondering, how can ICANN get more involved? When I mean ICANN, I mean ICANN Org, of course, which have the monies or the funds to support some tools that we can use to enhance that outreach and engagement. Thank you.

NEGAR FARZINNIA:

Thank you, Alfredo. I believe you have highlighted one of the key objectives of the evaluation process. Our goal is not just to look at some metrics on the projects and say, "Okay, we're checking a box, we've evaluated these projects. They're great. They're doing wonderful things." One of the key objectives of the evaluation is, once we do get some metrics and results on how a project is doing or if it's reaching its intended objectives is to look at what else we need to do to help make improvements. Because we don't want to be in a steady state situation, we want to constantly improve and evolve and make our working practices better and more effective.

Actually, one of the gap areas that have been identified with the Fellowship Program is exactly what you highlighted. It's the follow through with the various Fellows that have gone through either membership or their cycle of Fellowship Program and want to stay engaged, but somehow they lose touch, and what do we do to keep them engaged or continue to keep them participating in the ICANN ecosystem?

---

Coming up with these findings and areas of improvement is something that we want to work closely with the community on. We will obviously have some suggestions but your viewpoints, especially for someone like you, Alfredo, who's been in the mentorship role, and sees gap areas or areas where we can make improvements, those input is going to be very valuable to us. So as part of summarizing the results of this evaluation, our goal is not just to say, "Okay, this is what we found, we're putting a bow on it, and putting this findings on the shelf." We want to actually work with you guys and get your input on what else we can do together, because this is not just ICANN orgs work, right? This requires all of us as an ecosystem to work together to help make these improvements. So what I would like to do is, once we present the final results is to get input from you and everyone else on areas of improvement, and then making the work plan on how we can go about implementing those improvements, and then continue to monitor and track them so that we can see the results of it and hopefully continue in this particular case to keep former Fellows engaged in the work and actively participating in our ecosystem.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you very much. Any further questions?

ALFREDO CALDERON: If I may, Holly?

HOLLY RAICHE: Go right ahead. Sorry. Go ahead.



---

ALFREDO CALDERON:

No worries. Sorry to interrupt you. Negar, thank you for that information, and you can count on me for any support and input that I can provide. But there's something that we have to be aware of. For the past two and some months, the form of the mentorship program has been completely virtual. There hasn't been any face-to-face encounter. So there's going to be sort of a gap. I hope you guys are keeping that in mind so that we can compare pre-pandemic and what's happening during the pandemic. We have sufficient criteria and data to be able to improve the program, which I think we can in a lot of ways. So thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you, Alfredo. Glenn, I was interested in the point you were making in the chat, and it's certainly something I've looked at as well. And that is, if you look at funding, there is funding within ICANN Org for certain projects. There's also additional funding for things like, well, just looking at that ... Actually, Glenn, why don't you talk to your point in what you said in the chat. It will be very useful. If you can't do it, I'll read it out. Okay. There's a question to the group. Comment at 4:43. Let me read it out. "NARALO aims to wrap up their Outreach and Engagement plan but we are stigmatized on the lack of clarify on where the Discretionary Funds and CROP is available for this fiscal period. It makes it difficult to do outreach without these tools."

I think my question would be, obviously, there are different [inaudible] pools of money available to achieve what arguably is the

---

multistakeholder model. How do you see them folding together and how would you reply to Glenn?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Maybe before somebody answers to this, just to underline that the example taken by Glenn, NARALO, but I guess all the RALOs have the same problem. I asked last fiscal year to spend some money on specific projects and I didn't get even an answer. And about CROP, it's the same. There were some meetings we think it would have been good to go, not to pay by the pocket of the one going there for EURALO. And therefore, we hope that for next fiscal year, it will be clear, but it's not yet. Glenn, thank you very much to ask this question. It's important for all of us. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I don't think we want a specific response to specific projects, but how do you see, how does ICANN Planning see the relationship between the MSM projects and perhaps the support for things like CROP? How does it all fit together? Just an overview, because it's one of the issues that face all of the At-Large community is to better understand expenditure by ICANN on projects and additional funding, all of which, arguably, is supporting the multistakeholder model. Maybe that's too big of a question, but it's just something that's come up many times. Thank you. Giovanni? Negar? Any thoughts?

GIOVANNI SEPIA:

Holly, I see Alex has his hand up.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Alex, go ahead, please.

ALEX MORSHED: Thank you. I wish our other colleagues who used to be more involved in the process were on this call. But I'll just say that from a finance perspective that we do have a budget for CROP and for other outreach programs and for ABRs. Other than that, we're not really involved in the assessment process and the criteria for what gets granted and what doesn't. I would actually rely a lot more on the Policy Team, so Heidi, or if she doesn't know it, the other decision makers who assess what gets approved and what doesn't. We're happy to be involved. If we need other meetings, like the suggestion of having a working session to determine with the Policy Team what fits in the ABR criteria and what doesn't, and maybe something similar with CROP, but we're happy to do that. I just wanted to communicate from a finance standpoint, we don't really decide what gets approved and what doesn't.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. I think probably what would be useful and maybe it's something that we can do in this group, but to understand where the pockets of money to help the community engage in ICANN, where they are, how they interact. And if we are working towards better engagement with ICANN, the extent to which it might fund other engagement other than ICANN is certainly always been one of those issues. So I think probably what we need to do and probably we can do this with your support is to understand what funds was and the extent

---

to which the funding is available. Certainly in the chat—and I'm sure that there's a lot of discussion, I'm just reading here. Currently, we rely on our own pockets to continue engagement. What do we do with that comment? How should ICANN, how could ICANN assist in our engagement, is perhaps the larger question and that may be something that we actually hold as a meeting later. But just some initial thoughts would be great.

ALEX MORSHED:

Yeah, that's a great point, Holly. I think, initially, what comes to mind is the ABR and the CROP. Those are the first two that come to my mind. But then we'll definitely help identify the pockets of funds as you mentioned.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay. Thank you, Becky. The Org contacts will ... It's Maureen's suggestion. Get the Policy Team to clarify what their criteria are as the Finance Team has done for us. I think that would be a really, really useful session. We on this group can look forward to it.

Okay. Are there any further questions? Any further comments? Okay. Again, the point that Marita is making, which is one that I've heard many, many times, when the money is not being spent for travel due to travel hesitancy, there seems no way to move that money to other useful purposes. I know this has come up and it certainly come up because of COVID and the fact that some people are reluctant to travel or can't travel. And then the issue is, are there other ways to support the multistakeholder model? I think that's a long, a thoughtful question

---

to be asked. Probably not answered now, but we can work on having that broader discussion. I think it's important for all of us. So are there any further questions or comments from people on this particular topic on the MSM model and its extent?

With that, I can say thank you very much. What I was going to do for the final discussion is go to some slides that I did where it was an ALAC session—and hopefully I'll be able to share screen here—that a lot of the At-Large community talked about. Can I share my screen?

MICHELLE DESMYTER: I just promoted you, Holly, so please go ahead.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. Okay.

MICHELLE DESMYTER: You're welcome.

HOLLY RAICHE: I want to get down to my screen. Okay. This should be showing up on my screen. It's not. Can you see on my screen?

MICHELLE DESMYTER: No, you're not sharing. Are you hitting the Share Screen button? There we go.

---

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay. I just want to share with people these were the ALAC responses to the strategic trends. But there's some information that came out of this. It was a long session that may end up looking at multistakeholder model. This is a result of what people said based on what ALAC community members said. So in terms of security, these were the ICANN headings. What we looked at, these are the things we identified.

One of them in security was end user education. Now, this came up in ICANN74 and it was the role of ICANN in education, but it was also aimed at end user education for ICANN participants in security. It was in a DNS Abuse session where what Graeme Bunton said was we should be getting information out there on security and what end users should do. And I thought, well, that's very interesting because it's something that perhaps one of the missions that we, as an At-Large community, could do. Could that be something that ICANN Org could look at on governance? This is another thing.

A lot of things were identified. Things like support and the issues were just constant support for volunteers, volunteer burnout, motivation. How do you bring new people in? How do you deal with time zones? How do you get people globally interested? How do you support participation beyond just meetings? Obviously, revisit this in light of what people were saying. Obviously, the comment that PDPs take years. But those are the sorts of things that were coming up. Also discussions about emerging technologies, but that was also a kind of how do we understand this? Okay.

UA was another important discussion, just because with IDNs, it's actually inclusive of the communities that don't speak English as a first

---

language. Some other things. These are less—my spelling, sorry. And another question that is always being asked is the additional support or is there additional support for participation in relevant organizations?

And finally, these were the comments, sustained funding for ABRs. Additional tools for not only Universal Acceptance but other communication. Looking at the funds that have been saved, can they be better used? The extent to which schools of Internet governance might be something that could be supported. So let me just do a stop share here.

Okay. Those are the sorts of things that the At-Large community recognized in the context of looking at those goals. I'm wondering if there can be a session that goes beyond MSM to look at the additional participation, so that when we respond to the budget, particularly the ICANN budget, the extent to which we can bring some of the comments that have been made by the At-Large community back to you. Maybe Giovanni but also Becky, is there room for that discussion? Because if so, we can start planning it. I'm not hearing anyone.

GIOVANNI SEPPIA:

Hi, Holly. I don't think I'm the best place to answer your question.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Okay. Giovanni, that's fine. Becky, is there a room for discussions about those broader issues? And maybe we can schedule something, a meeting about those broader implications for how we support our own participation in ICANN and expand the concept of multistakeholder

---

model. So look at ways in which the community can be supported to participate in ICANN.

BECKY NASH: Thank you very much, Holly. This is Becky Nash for the record from the Planning department. So just to reconfirm, your question is about the Strategic Outlook Trends Identification session.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes.

BECKY NASH: And the specific session held by At-Large.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes.

BECKY NASH: Okay. One of the key areas that we like to emphasize is that the Trends Identification sessions seek to obtain wide and diverse input. And it is a process where we then consolidate all of the input received both from the SO and AC sessions that were run, the cross-functional organizational sessions, including the Executive Team, and then the Board session. We like to highlight that it is useful to look at all of the data, which is what impacts then the current trends that may have an impact on ICANN overall strategic plan. Then I know Margaret, our colleague here, has met with you and the team here before, just



---

highlighting that this process then culminates in an evaluation of is there any impact on the current adopted strategic plan and/or any impact tactically on the development of the operating plan.

So we'd be more than happy to come and meet with the At-Large OFB and present some of the statistics and/or identify, perhaps in a prep meeting, how better to assist for these sessions. We really value the participation of all of the community members in the Strategic Outlook Trends Identification session. So we are very pleased that this is a topic that you have mentioned here. So let us know how we can help and maybe we can have an idea of what should be better. Should ALAC look at their own brainstorming session? Or should we have a wider view of the whole ecosystem, is really what our question is. And of course, the report that we issue is on the wider ecosystem, just for confirmation.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you, Becky. I think it's a question that probably is something we have to as an OFB Working Group think about and involve you in the discussion that's kind of wider policy in terms of supporting participation. We haven't come to an answer. Just questions have been raised. But Cheryl has a hand up. Go ahead, Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I think that what's happening in chat is the most powerful outcome of your inquiry, Holly. That seems to be wholesale support from the Marita's suggestion, which is that OFB Working Group is this group, but also ALAC, perhaps advised firmly by this group in one of your reports, should actually look at our own navel gazing and our own desires and

---

issues, and formulate a way that our own input in both policy and comment on budget and strategic planning and forecasting in the future how the mechanisms for how that can best work, and recognize that what Becky and her team necessarily need to do is the bigger picture stuff for us to look at our piece of that jigsaw puzzle and see what we can leverage, what we can activate, what we can effectively operate for our own benefit from our own part of that jigsaw puzzle, noting that it will, of course, still need to sit in with the big picture. So I think Marita's idea has got a great deal to do for us in the future. Thanks for that, Marita.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you, Cheryl. I think this is a conversation that we probably should have in the next week or two. We need to actually better understand from our own perspective how we can support or participate in ICANN policy, and how we can respond to the two budgets in ways that will support our participation. It's just something that we haven't asked before or haven't actually sat down and had a session before.

I'm aware of the time. We've got 20 minutes, but I'm thinking it may be an idea, given the way that in fact this discussion is going, for me to sit down with a couple of people from the working group and plan that discussion, Becky, and then talk to you about who best to have to better understand the ways in which ICANN can support participation of the At-Large community, and what we can do, what are the sorts of things that we can be asking for, and the appropriate way to do it so that our response to the budget and our responses to the ABRs are as constructive as they can be. It's just not something we've done. Well,

---

we haven't done as well as we could, and something that we can do in the very near future.

There is probably not time to go into the other At-Large priorities. We've already identified a couple that are a priority for us. Clearly, Universal Acceptance and IDNs is one of the top priorities to involve as many language groups as we can. But I think we would also like to look at the operating initiatives for ourselves to identify in light of the discussions we've had, including the strategic trends which ICANN ran, and rethink our priorities, and then incorporate those into our response to the budget. So I think that's the next step.

So first of all, I think Becky and your team, I think Giovanni and your team, and I think everyone, and say that maybe we should schedule the next meeting as a follow-up conversation amongst ourselves as to how we respond to the budgets and ABRs. So are there any additional suggestions for our next meeting, which I'm suggesting would be in two weeks time? I know, Ricardo, we wanted to go through the operating initiatives, and we can do that. We'll start that as well. But any hands up? No?

MICHELLE DESMYTER:

Holly, this is Michelle from staff, who's just looking at the Policy Calendar. I'm not seeing any conflicts as of right now unless I see something. 18:00 UTC, the same timeframe, it is open.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: I would recommend to everybody in three weeks' time, and maybe we can have a special session in three weeks' time. It'll be the 11<sup>th</sup> and 12<sup>th</sup>, which is exactly when Becky has suggested that we can have the first of the sessions for the IANA budget. So we've got a couple of things on our plate. In two weeks' time, Michelle, that would be excellent. Thank you. And I will work with Silvia and probably Ricardo and Marita for an agenda item.

In that case, are there any further items of business that people would like to raise? If not, I will give everybody an early mark of 13 minutes. So thank you again, Becky and Giovanni. I think this has been a really useful session. We'll follow up these discussions in two weeks' time.

BECKY NASH: Great. Thank you, Holly.

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you, everyone. Bye-bye.

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Thanks, everyone. Take care. Meeting adjourned.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**