
DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Hello, all, and welcome to the RSSAC monthly teleconference held on Tuesday, the 3rd of May 2022. Fred, over to you.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So going through the roll call, Cogent, are you here? DISA, are you here?

KEVIN WRIGHT: Kevin Wright here.

FRED BAKER: I thought I saw... Yeah, Ryan's here.

RYAN STEPHENSON: Yeah, I'm just getting to the mute button. Ryan's here.

FRED BAKER: Yeah, I know how that goes with the mute button. ISC, I'm here. I don't see Jeff on the list and I don't see Jeff online. NASA, Barbara, Tom, are you here? Netnod.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Liman is here. Patrik is probably not here.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

FRED BAKERR: Okay. RIPE? I see Kaveh online.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Yes, Kaveh is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. University of Maryland.

KARL REUSS: Karl's here.

FRED BAKER: USC ISI.

WES HARDAKER: Wes is here. Suzanne's conflicted in the beginning but will be here later.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ARL.

KEN RENARD: Ken's here.

HOWARD KASH: Howard's here.

FRED BAKER: Verisign.

BRAD VERD: Brad's here.

FRED BAKER: WIDE.

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro's here. Jun is not.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So Danielle, have we got quorum?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yes, we have quorum.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Cool. Let's go back to the agenda, if you would.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hey, Fred, you skipped ICANN on that roll call.

FRED BAKER: Did I skip ICANN?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

FRED BAKER: Oops. Sorry. Matt, I see you're here.

MATT LARSON: I'm here. No problem.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So agenda review, you're looking at it. Does anybody see anything that they want to change? Failing that, Danielle, you want to go over the minutes from the last meeting?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: All right, everyone. I think Ozan distributed the draft meeting minutes from April 5th a couple of weeks ago. We have three action items from this meeting. All have been completed. Does anybody have any questions on the minutes?

FRED BAKER: Okay. Let's go back to the agenda.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: All right.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Ken, do you want to go over the RSSAC caucus membership?

KEN RENARD: Sure. Thanks, Fred. So the caucus membership committee met and looked at the nominees for the NomCom. We determined that both candidates are very well-qualified. It's hard to make a recommendation of one over the other. So we're not making a recommendation for that. Another thing we did was editing the caucus how-to-join document.

We added Internet governance experience to that list. And we point out explicitly that you do not need to have all of the areas of expertise in order to join. I think we're still waiting on a few more edits and just a clean-up on that document to then bring it to the rest of the RSSAC to approve. And also during last month, there were no additional applications for caucus membership. And that's it for the caucus membership committee. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Let's see here. I'm supposed to take a vote on the draft minutes. Correct? And I didn't do that.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yes, Fred. That's correct. Sorry.

FRED BAKER: And the question is do we accept the minutes as posted, or are there changes that people would like to make? I didn't hear any changes that

people brought up. Is anybody dissenting from the minutes? Is anybody abstaining from the vote? I take it then that we have accepted the minutes of the last meeting.

Okay. Moving on, we do have to figure out the liaison to the ICANN Nominating Committee. I asked for a volunteer from the RSSAC a few weeks ago. And we have two nominees, Abdulkarim and Hiro Hotta. They have both accepted the position. They've both been seconded. We basically need to choose one.

HIRO HOTTA: This is Hiro. Yes, may I?

FRED BAKER: Yes, go ahead.

HIRO HOTTA: Yes. Shall I excuse myself and leave the room during this agenda item? Because I'm one of the candidates.

[WES HARDAKER:] I'd suggest we do an e-vote would be the easier way to go.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: We have an online poll ready to send after the meeting, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Why don't you send out the poll? Hiro, I don't see a need for you to leave.

HIRO HOTTA: Okay. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: So Danielle, you're sending out the poll?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I'll send out the poll. Did RRSAC still want to discuss the two candidates on the call before the poll?

FRED BAKER: Is there any discussion? Do people want to discuss said candidates? I don't think there's really a lot to discuss.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Liman has his hand up.

FRED BAKER: Oh, I'm sorry. Liman, go ahead.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: No, I was just going to suggest that if there were any direct questions to Hiro Hotta, who is in the meeting, and has a chance to respond, I think

we should ask those questions. I don't have any myself. As for Abdulkarim, I suggest that if anyone here has a question for Abdulkarim, that he should be given a chance to respond to that question before we open the poll. And then, we do open the poll and let it run for a couple of days so those members who are not present at the meeting have a chance to vote. But the first issue in my view is to decide whether there are any questions for the candidates. I don't have any. Thanks.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. And Liman has suggested that we put this on the mailing list and let people respond to it. Danielle, are you in a position to support that, to handle that?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD:

Yes. Sorry. I just sent the poll link out but we can stop it and allow for discussion on the mailing list, if that's what people want.

LARS-JOHN LIMAN:

Sorry, I misunderstand what you meant by poll. So then, go ahead your way, and then that's fine. We can do it during the meeting as well. It was more a proposal from my side not knowing that this wasn't online, respond immediately kind of thing.

FRED BAKER:

Well, yeah, a poll in Zoom is something that happens in real time.

LARS-JOHN LIMAN: Ah, no one said Zoom.

FRED BAKER: Well, that's how we're connected. So okay.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: My apologies, Fred, the online vote that we have set up is a Google form actually. it's not a poll in Zoom for real time.

FRED BAKER: Oh, okay.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: So I've sent out the Google survey email through regular email and not on Zoom.

FRED BAKER: Okay. It shows how much I know. Yeah, the Google poll will be fine. Moving ahead then to ICANN74 planning, Danielle, you're listed to handle that.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yeah. So the RSSAC schedule at ICANN74 has been finalized. And I believe Ozan has requested all of the meetings and has received confirmation that they'll be in the following time slots. Monday will be reserved for the DNSSEC workshop and Tech Day. On Tuesday, we'll have a plenary on who sets ICANN's priorities. And then, we'll have the

joint meeting between RSSAC and SSAC. And that will be a closed session.

The RSSAC will have its first work session Tuesday during block four and then, the monthly RSSAC meeting during block five. Wednesday, the RSSAC will have its second work session during block five. And then Thursday is reserved for the RSS GWG session. And so there will be no RSSAC meetings that day to avoid conflicts. Are there any questions on the RSSAC schedule at ICANN74?

FRED BAKER: Well, yes, one to Russ. I haven't seen an agenda for the joint meeting.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I don't think Russ is on the call, but that's something that we will liaise with the SSAC support staff on and put together an agenda for.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Thank you. Ken, you've got your hand up.

KEN RENARD: Thanks, Fred. Just a reminder to everyone that we'll have to sign up for individual sessions once the agenda is published and things like that. They're doing that for capacity planning for rooms. How many chairs? They're trying to do social distancing. There is a health precautions frequently-asked-questions out there somewhere. I don't know if it's been added yet but one of the questions I had that should be on the list

soon is recommendations for getting COVID testing before you return to your home country if that's required. So that's something at least to think about.

So there was a chairs meeting that was supposed to be in Los Angeles last week. It got cancelled. There was supposed to be a dry run of some of the health procedures. We didn't get to do that. So we don't have anything to report back on that.

The other piece is there's been some controversy over the waiver required to register. Personally, coming from the U.S. and all the lawyers we have here, it seems very normal but it might just be something that you want to take a second look at yourself. Thanks.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Thank you for that reminder, Ken. I've put the link for the health and safety measures for ICANN74 in the chat. And there's a friendly reminder for RSSAC members to please register online for ICANN74. Registration before the event is required to attend in person.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Liman, you have your hand up.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN: Yes. It's just a quick question to Danielle. I don't have it front of me right now but you have shared the link to this Google sheet with the schedule, haven't you?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yes, it should be in the agenda email for this but I'll also put it in the chat.

LARS-JOHN LIMAN: Fine. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: And a question, again, to Danielle. Many of us are in the GWG as well. Do we have the signup link for that? I guess we do. That will come.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: What signup link are you referring to?

FRED BAKER: We have to sign up for each of the meetings that we're supposed to be in. Yeah, I guess that will be in the meetings package.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yes. I do not believe that the... Let me check. I actually do think that preregistration for the sessions is open and online. So once you register for ICANN74 for the actual meeting, you should be able to go in and indicate which sessions you'd like to attend in person.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I can follow up with you on that, Fred, and if people are interested, put some more information about registration for individual sessions on the RSSAC mailing list.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Let's go back to the agenda because I don't remember what I'm supposed to have next. So updates. Did we have anything in mind there?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I think the updates was just related to the health and safety measures and reminding people to register for ICANN74 before the meeting. It is a prerequisite to attend in person. You will not be able to register for ICANN74 on-site. RSSAC received four requests for travel support for six available slots.

All four requests are receiving travel support. For the supported travelers, if travel support has not reached out to you yet, please let me know. You should have received a notification by now related to travel arrangements.

FRED BAKER: Okay. I have received comments from ICANN travel. There's an open question in my mind that there's been discussion of having a chairs meeting the morning before, which would be Sunday morning. And right now, as near as I can tell, ICANN travel doesn't know that. They

said that the earliest we're allowed to arrive is on the Sunday. And so I'm trying to figure that part out. But yes, I've received the travel requests form.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: We have received guidance from the meetings team that pre-meeting sessions are not being supported for ICANN74. So normally, when we've had admin committee days or meetings before the start date, those are not being supported for 74 to limit the time in The Hague.

FRED BAKER: So we're supposed to arrive on the Sunday.

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Yes.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Good to know because I hadn't heard that. Okay. Moving on to reports. Obviously, the chairs of the various SOs and ACs have been chatting among themselves. We scheduled a meeting in Marina del Rey. And that meeting didn't happen. Kind of in real time, the city of Los Angeles or the county of Los Angeles had an uptick in reports of COVID.

And things got all exciting and the board chose to not meet. And the board decided that we shouldn't meet. So we didn't. But we had an online meeting and talked kind of about this ICANN meeting and how

things were going and that sort of thing. So Ken, you wanted to talk about the committee that you're on.

KEN RENARD:

Yeah. Thanks, Fred. Just kinda keeping everyone in the loop here. So there is a planning prioritization pilot happening. They've invited members from each of the SOs and ACs to participate. It's a new thing. It's trying to help ICANN prioritize board-approved recommendations. So it's been a process. Tonight is the last meeting.

The idea was that the people involved would actually represent their own particular interests. My interests are very much RSSAC and root server interests. But it's been an interesting process. It's going to evolve but it's a way for communities and the SOs and ACs to have some level of input, not full decision priority, of how these recommendations get prioritized.

From right now, I can tell that ICANN74, the plenary session, will talk about priorities in general within ICANN and should include some discussion of this pilot program as well. And that should be on I think Tuesday. any questions about that, feel free to shout them out now, email me, or whatever. I'll be glad to explain what I can. Thanks.

FRED BAKER:

Well, I do have a question. During this entire thing, I've been trying to figure out prioritization of what. And these are the prioritization of requests that have gone to the ICANN Board?

KEN RENARD: Yes, these are recommendations. I did not see things like recommendations that RSSAC has made. I don't know if that was because of they've already been taken care of, they're already done or completed. But the recommendations generally fell into ATRT3, the SSR2 recommendations, some WHOIS or RDS WHOIS recommendations, and CCT.

At some point, I've looked up all those acronyms. But my preference is what I've sort of tried to push was more operational things such as the security-related recommendations and push those up to the top versus things like doing internal reviews of ICANN processes, things like that. So keeping the operational stuff running, running securely, running with resilience. So yeah. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Matt.

MATT LARSON: Hi, Fred. Hi, everyone. I don't have any details about the committee that Ken's on. But Fred, since you did mention RSSAC recommendations, I can let you know that every recommendation from every RSSAC document, as well as from other SOs and ACs, is tracked in the ICANN Org action request registry, which is something I have visibility to from OCTO because most, if not all, of the RSSAC requests end up coming to OCTO to be tracked because we end up being the SMEs for those.

So it sounds like the focus of what Ken's describing is a little different. Maybe things coming from review teams and larger efforts. I can tell you that the sort of regular cadence of RSSAC documents—that everything that RSSAC requests in a document, any recommendations that need action from the ICANN Board, they are tracked and dealt with.

So an example would be the RSSAC 028 study. We're in the process of getting a contractor in place to get that study off the ground. That's merely one that I use as an example because it comes to mind and it's imminent. But I just wanted to explain that, since you had mentioned RSSAC recommendations.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Thank you. Kaveh, do you have anything to report on?

KAVEH RANJBAR:

No, no additional news or any related item on the Board agenda related to RSSAC. The only change basically was the change of meeting from physical to virtual as mentioned by Fred. But other than that, no RSSAC related items on the Board agenda. There was [maybe] for interest, and just so you know, there was an update very close or similar to the presentation ICANN had a few weeks ago about the blockchain technologies in namespace.

So it was just understanding of Board members. There was a Jamboard session, basically, what Board members think or what is their idea about alternate name spaces in the [domain name blockchain] area. It wasn't

about provision mostly. It wasn't about the—as I know, the plan wasn't much about thinking about what root server system does as far as distribution of zone files, but it was mostly focused on the namespaces and alternate namespaces. So outside of our remit, and of course, it was just informational. My understanding is this was ICANN Org trying to understand what Board members think or would like to know more about this. So this is just a step preparing for the future. And that's it. Thank you.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Thank you. Liman, do you have anything from the CSC?

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN:

Yeah, just the quick normal run of the mill. We had a very good report from the PTI, normal 100 percent. We are getting used to that. But we also have a report from the PTI. They do a yearly survey of the service that they provide to their customers. And it showed a slight—and I will stress slight—dip in appreciation and support for their way of operation.

But we must also note that the procedure has been very different compared to earlier years due to the pandemic situation. And it was in no way alarming. But I did note a number of smaller dips in that support. So they are looking at that and trying to address things.

Another thing to note is that the number of respondents to this survey is actually very low. So the statistical effects of just a few people changing their opinion is rather large on the overall numbers of the

averages and so on. So I'm not concerned. But it was interesting to see that there was a small change. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Daniel, do you have anything from the RZERC?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: I don't think Daniel Migault is on the call. I don't see him in the participant list.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Then he won't answer about the IAB either. And Russ is still not here from the SSAC. And James, I saw you join. Do you have anything from the IANA Functions Operator?

JAMES MITCHELL: Hi. Sorry I'm late. The changes to the [ARPA name servers] was completed yesterday. So [inaudible] ns.arpa authoritative name servers. And otherwise, the key signing ceremony is happening next week in Virginia with international participants for the first time since the pandemic began. So [inaudible] for that. I'm pretty excited for [inaudible] for that to move ahead, hopefully continue as business as usual. That's all.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So people are flying in for that?

JAMES MITCHELL: That's still the case. Yes, we haven't been told otherwise.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So Duane, do you have anything from the RZM?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: Duane is an apology for today.

FRED BAKER: Oh, boy, I'm not doing well this morning. Okay. And Robert isn't online, is he?

DANIELLE RUTHERFORD: No, I don't see him on the call. Daniel Migault just joined.

FRED BAKER: Oh, Daniel, you're just in time. Do you have any comments for us from the RZERC?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Okay. Yeah. So first of all, let me apologize for being late. Yeah, so I sent basically two [threads] on the mailing list. One is to discuss ... So RZERC is going to discuss the charter and we are wondering if we're willing to have the full consensus or just what I would say a rough consensus, the majority, I think.

And I'd like to be able to provide that kind of answer so that when we are going through the charter review process, we can know what RSSAC is willing to ... What is the best mode or what is RSSAC willing...? How RSSAC is expecting that we are taking some changes to the current charter.

So currently, I think Fred was aiming for full consensus. And I'm just wondering if everyone agrees with that or if we have any people that would prefer maybe the majority and if it's appropriate that we can take that decision I would say now maybe.

FRED BAKER: Well, yeah, does anybody have any comments on that? The reason I mentioned full consensus... Oh, Brad. Brad, do you want to add?

BRAD VERD: I was just going to say that if the group is going a self-review of its own charter, it seems like maybe that should be held to a higher standard than just a majority. And my recommendation would be a full consensus on any changes to a self-review of your own charter.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Thank you.

DANIEL MIGAULT: Okay. Thanks. So I think the RZM was... So something the RZM was mentioning. So I think we are not the only one with such thoughts. It

makes sense. I am going to confirm that on the mailing list. And if anyone objects or has a strong willingness to advocate for a majority, for example, feel free to mention that on the mailing list. But so far, I will take it on that the full consensus is requested by RSSAC.

The other aspect was about mentioning what is RSO position regarding the ZONEMD RRset validation. And I think my understanding currently is that we are moving toward a statement probably the next two or three weeks.

So that's also something if I am being requested by RSSAC whether it is SSAC or the RSOs or what path they are currently taking, I think that's the one I am going to disclose or let them know. And I think it's really good that we are moving that forward. So thank you for those committing to that. If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know also.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. The next item on the agenda is a report from the GWG, which is to say all of us. And specifically, we have the new chair of the GWG on the call. Brad, do you have any comments there?

BRAD VERD:

Yeah. Thanks. Well, hopefully this item isn't me reporting on it and it's everybody talking about things if we need to talk about things with or RSSAC hats on. But right now, we're just working through kind of our plan forward leading up to what everybody hopes to be face-to-face

meetings at ICANN74, which you saw in the schedule, and maybe start to work through some of the stuff.

That's the current plan. Nothing really to report. Our first meeting... So last week, we didn't have a meeting. We have a meeting coming up this week, which will be our first kind of working session with the new membership since all the RSOs were added. And a couple of the members have changed. So I'm happy to field any questions if there are any.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Thanks, Brad. I don't see any hands. I don't hear a lot of people chiming in. So with that, we've pretty much achieved the end of the agenda. Does anybody have anything that they want to discuss as an AOB item? Failing that, our next meeting...

WES HARDAKER:

Fred, I did throw up a hand.

FRED BAKER:

I'm sorry. Go ahead, Wes.

WES HARDAKER:

I threw it up really quickly. The only other thing to talk about would probably be Daniel's request for RZERC if anybody has thoughts on the way... There was sort of a question as to what the right body to respond

to RZERC's request for when we would start validating the ZONEMD record and failing to load.

So I guess the real question is I suggested we have a statement come out of the root server operators about that because that seemed to be the prevailing opinion within the RSSAC list when it was being discussed. And so I just wanted to give anybody else a chance to say that I'm wrong and we shouldn't do it that way. But all the discussion seems to be happening in the RSO list. I see both Liman and Ken. Go for it.

LARS-JOHAN LIMAN:

I support that notion. I think this is an operational matter and it's in the relationship between the root zone maintainer and the root server operators. And as such, I'm not sure that it needs the support from RSSAC as an advisory body. But I'm quite... It's not a black and white statement from my side. So I'm willing to listen to others but that's my personal opinion. Thank you.

WES HARDAKER:

Thanks, Liman. Ken.

KEN RENARD:

Thanks. Yeah, I also agree that it's an RSO operational issue. The only thing is, do we also need to answer the question in that forum as to whether we can accept without failures just the mere addition of a ZONEMD record? Daniel, has that question been sufficiently answered?

DANIEL MIGAULT: So to me, as long as we... I think that what is the most important thing for RZERC point of view is that we understand what the RSOs are doing and that the RSO are doing the same thing. To my view, if it's RSSAC or if it's published somewhere else, as long as we know what the answer is, I think it's fine to... It's going to address most of RZERC's concerns.

And in the worst case, once we have this statement somewhere, I'm assuming it is going to end up in a RSO statement. So published on the rootserver.org. And I think that looks to me sufficient. That will answer at least the concern that I had.

If ever it will not answer RZERC concern, they might ask the Board and the board ask RSSAC and RSSAC redirect that to the RSO. But the answer will be the same. So I think it's fine, as long as we know what the answer is, which everybody provide that answer. But this is my personal interpretation.

WES HARDAKER: Thanks, Daniel.

DANIEL MIGAULT: I have one comment. Just be aware I'm not part of the RSO mailing list. So if there is something I must know, just don't forget to ping me.

WES HARDAKER: Of course, you bet. It's not a problem. Okay. I think that's the end of us. I think that means that we are on unless there are some objections to that. So thank you for the AOB.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So yeah, this is an operational matter. So I would understand it to be referred to the RSOs. Okay. So the one thing that we have left on the agenda is to remind ourselves that the next meeting will occur at ICANN74. It was on the schedule that Danielle showed earlier. So with that, I believe we're adjourned.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think so.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]