CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee Working Group call on Tuesday the 18th of January [2022] at 1800 UTC.

On the call today we have Maureen Hilyard, Claire Craig, Judith Hellerstein and Sébastien Bachollet.

We have French interpretation on today's call. Our interpreters are Camila and Claire.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

We have received apologies from the Ricardo Holmquist.

A friendly reminder to please state your name when taking the floor. Thank you very much. And with this, I turn the call over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Claudia. Thank you so much, everyone who has turned up today. It's one of those busy days, and I can only be here for about half an hour. But what I wanted to do was to go through—just looking at the agenda—so welcoming you all, but go through the ABRs that we've received. It's really just a first look. And if anyone is associated with those ABRs, to give a brief overview. But as I said, we'll be giving a brief look at how things are going, what's on offer. And we'll have to go

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

through what are the criteria that are met or not met by these, because we can make a first cut pretty quickly.

We'll have to move straight into it. And if you access the link, where it's got the At-Large FY 23 ABR proposals, we'll go through that list and have a look at what's on offer at the moment. Has everyone got their page?

Oh, Raymond and Augusto are here. Welcome. It's rather unfortunate, this is our first meeting and I'm mucking it up for you all. I'm so sorry. But it's really good to see the new members, and Sébastien and Judith, coming along to this. It's really important. We make a call, ultimately, about what is accepted.

But this meeting, for example, is to give us as the committee a chance to look at the proposals that have been put forward, and then look at, do they meet the criteria? And then the next meeting that we have, we'll be able to go through things a little bit more in depth. So, this is a very cursory look at what has been proposed and what we can look at quite realistically, because there are some issues that—and Heidi who's more in touch with this particular activity—we've got a pretty good idea of what they might even just look at. Some of them, they might just say no to.

So we save them the trouble and go through and just say, well, looking at that, that's really not going to cut it because it's talking about such and such and it's not within the priority list of activities for ICANN. So yeah, this group is really quite important for that. Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. First, it seems that I am the only European. Even if I am not a member of this group, I am happy to be there. Second, I really don't understand what is coming from ALAC and what is not coming from ALAC. And I don't see why there is a difference. Because when you look at Ricardo is not ALAC member and is making a proposal and it's within ALAC. Judith is the same, and why I am under RALO? And as a chair of RALO, there's a proposal from Ricardo who is from EURALO. I don't need an answer now. But I think you may wish to find a better way to have all that engage. I think it will be better. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, Sébastien. And I think that when we actually categorize them in this way—I think that the ALAC—it's not from the ALAC, it's actually a request that actually looks at an ALAC process or something like that, rather than focusing on a RALO or RALO kind of activities.

So for example, just looking at Ricardo's one, he's actually looking at improving processes within ALAC and At-Large information activities. So it's not just to do with RALOs. But it's a very generalized category, it doesn't make any difference. I mean, it's only for our own purposes, so it's not specific. That categorization does not go on to ICANN, it's really just for our own purposes. Thanks.

Any other questions or queries, just before we go on? I know there's gonna be some as we go through. Thank you. So we'll probably only be able to give a couple of minutes for each of the recommendations, but as I said, this is a cursory view. And it's something so that you are aware

of what applications have been made. And it's up to you as a team to be looking at what we move forward, and what we feel might need a little bit of adjusting—we've done that before—or probably isn't going to make the cut.

Let's start looking at the applications. Fortunately, there's not too many. But the first one, of course, improving ALAC and At-Large information. And that came from Ricardo, really, because of his role within operations and looking at the way—which is the purpose of the group, is to look at processes to make sure that the way in which information is actually communicated across the At-Large community is appropriate, it's informative, it's accurate, it's up to date, that kind of stuff.

And I think this is what Ricardo was having an issue with, and he just wants to—and this may not require going beyond this group, and we may need to put other processes in place. And we can do that inhouse. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

So I think it's a good ABR. The problem is the Technology Task Force years ago has been trying to do this. And every time we tried to talk and get any stuff put on the Wiki or get any improvements to the Wiki, they say, "Oh, well, the Wiki is community done. We are only focusing on webpages. We're not looking at the Wiki now, we are not spending any money in the Wiki" and they give you this long sob story. We sort of gave up on it.

But that's my problem. I would also see it going through. Problem is they're going to say, "Oh, sorry, we are not spending any money on the Wiki. We're focusing on the website."

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I get you, Judith. I think that one of the things about this group too is that we look at the proposals—Judith has just identified an issue already that they'd had in the past. But we should be looking at if it might not be possible putting it in as an ABR because they're not going to give us another staff member and that kind of stuff, then we need to be looking at what other solutions might we offer Ricardo.

As I said, cursory view now, and to be looking at how we can actually support these either as presenting it as an ABR, or presenting some sort of solution that we can actually devise as a group.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I have one solution.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Can we not talk solutions at the moment?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

It'll be quick. Dev Anand Teelucksingh can give a class on how to find things, because he's the only one who can find anything.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's something we can think about. Can we go to the next one,

please? How many have we got here, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, Maureen, I think we have now about eight.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Real-time captioning. This is [inaudible]. Judith, you've got two

minutes.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure. We're putting this in again. We had issues this year with language

support, because they were not ready. But it is to have real-time text

translations in French and Spanish for the calls. So for instance, on the

LACRALO call where the language is Spanish, we would like to have RTT

and also RTT for other calls because people keep dropping off on the

audio and the text is easier for them to follow up on and read and get

engaged.

It was approved last year after talking to several Board members.

There's a big support on the Board for this to continue going forward.

And we'll hopefully get over our hump that we had that delayed the

progression this year. But that should not be a problem of why we

should not go forward again next year since it was approved last year.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you very much. You will notice that next to the description, there

is a column that says comments by FBSC members. Heidi, I'm assuming $\,$

that everyone on this call who's a member of the FBSC has access and

can make a comment in that column. Is that correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely. And I'm actually taking notes in that as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can you send me the form? I couldn't find it on the website when I

looked.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's on the workspace that I sent you in the link, Judith. And there's the

link. If you scroll about midway down into the ICANN Org information,

there's a hyperlink there. Let me know if you can't find that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I had looked a few days ago.

HEIDI ULLRICH: It's there. It's hyperlinked.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Alrighty. So, in fact, as we're going through these very quickly, I would

really like people to be thinking about comments that they can make,

either for or against or support, whatever, from this committee in that

so that next time when we meet, we can use those notes to guide us as to what sort of decisions we make. Alrighty, can we go to the next one, please?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

It's Judith again with her latest and I was able to just quickly put in the description part.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay, one minute, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

This is a new one. Basically, we are continually having problems with accessibility issues and inclusion issues in documents produced by staff, by planning. Every year ALAC and I put comments in response to public comments about some documents not being accessible and nothing ever changes. There was in the ATRT3 and in Work Stream 2 recommendations to improve diversity and inclusion. So this is a thing that we'll try out and pilot in At-Large, but would like to expand it to others, to have someone, a consultant come in and teach staff, teach ICANN Org, teach other ones, how to make documents accessible, how to do this. It shouldn't be—maybe staff will learn from someone else. But I've given up every time I put a couple of comments in and nothing gets done. And even our At-Large site has images that are not accessible.

ICANN should be a welcoming place to all, but currently it is not, because people always have issues. And it shouldn't be up to them to

keep reporting things or that's why people say, "Well, I'm not even going to bother." It should be open and welcoming to others. And I've cited in the document several of the strategic goals and plans that it relates to.

So I would welcome your comment. And sorry, I couldn't find the right template to use.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay, that's cool. Great. Thank you very much. And especially if we're wanting to, in our outreach and engagement, we're actually wanting to be inclusive about the people who actually can add their voices, but if they can't, they're not getting appropriate information, it's really important that we do something about that. Okay, so, Sébastien, two minutes.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. This, I consider that it must be under ALAC. Because it's really to serve all the community, At-Large, ALAC and RALOs to allow the possibility of use of the language services, as during the ICANN meeting. It's a pilot. As I can see, Heidi, you didn't change the request is coming from EURALO, not from LACRALO. I guess the problem with the link here. But that's it. During the ICANN meeting, you can be within Zoom and change languages. It's really better for interpretation that it is for us when you have to call, and then you need two tools and you can't go from one language to another one easily. And therefore, we suggest to do a pilot. And yes, I know that some people will not be able to join because they can't use a telephone. But if

we don't try something, we can always say, "Oh, yes, something will not work the same way." Yes. It's different. It's why it's a pilot. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, that's good. And yes, I did wonder about the LACRALO request thing. And I can see that it would be more inclusive. But don't worry about the RALO requesting thing. Being in that section, it's irrelevant to the actual application process.

Okay, great. Thank you very much. And it's very much aligned with what Judith was talking to about being inclusive. Okay.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Next one, the other one, it's about diversity. We approved it last year. I have done two things. First, I have give a report of what is not happening this year and suggesting that we need some more time and to enhance the project for next year. I will say that it's a follow up. And really, I hope that we will be able to go to the end of this year, but I don't have any real news from the staff who are in charge of that. That's a pity. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay, so that request column also needs a slight change again, and Heidi says she's updated the Wiki. Okay, next.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, so we had four LACRALO requests come in from Augusto. I know he is on the call. I apologize that we don't have Spanish interpretation. I do want to note that I've only listed three here, and that is because the fourth one was for a LACRALO General Assembly, to move that to fiscal year 23 from the current fiscal year 22. But I do know that that is in the fiscal year 23 budget already. So there is no need to submit that LACRALO General Assembly request. I hope that is clear to everyone, including Augusto.

And I'm not sure if Augusto would like to go through these. These are primarily the three remaining requests, are for courses. And two of them, I believe, are online. And one, the last one, this [is] a digital ABR, this is a series of meetings face to face or—well, it's digital or hybrid. He is assuming that it is going to be hybrid. He's asked for travel. And you'll see that I've put that into the details there. So Silvia and Augusto, I'm not sure if you want to go ahead and describe these ABR requests.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I don't know if Augusto wants to read through them.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I'm happy to basically go very quickly. everyone can read these. One is for an Internet analysis course. The course is directly connected to the purpose and interests of ICANN. It is basically outreach research training and coming up back up to the purpose, it's a unique course that allows you to know the different layers of the Internet. So that's the first one.

I know that this is something that in my view, if I may offer that, is that this is something that could be likely done without an ABR, that this is something that GSE working with LACRALO might wish to do. It can be part of a series of webinars. I know that some of the other RALOs already have series of webinars on various topics, EURALO, AFRALO, even NARALO. So this is something that we can work closely with GSE to do that. So Maureen, I'll pass it to you. I know we have five minutes left, you need to go.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah.. I do like the idea of the courses. But I think one of the things that we actually tried to do within At-Large over the last couple of years is to develop online courses. And we've done that with small groups within At-Large. And I really think that that's probably going to be seen as a precedent for any other courses that we do, that we've actually been able to sort of—and it's taken a lot of time, but at the same time, we've actually been able to get exactly what it is that we wanted to put into those courses.

And I really think that we'll be hard pressed to get funding for something that we could probably do inhouse, so using the resources that we've got, and that will also be made available, especially with regards to personnel. I mean, as Heidi mentioned, GSE support some of our courses, whatever the course topic is, we should be able to get resource people to actually provide us with input from within ICANN. Naveed, query.

NAVEED BIN RAIS:

I was just wondering, it is not clear by reading through these descriptions whether they are in Spanish and what is the scope of these courses for example and how they differentiate from the basic online information and the courses that we have at ICANN Learn or other fora. So would that be very regional specific thing? And in what language that is going to be, these courses?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you for that, Naveed. I think that that's one of the reasons why—rather than focusing it on—because universal acceptance and the other topics that people might want to actually do a course on, because they could be useful across the five regions, one of the things that we've actually done when we've actually created for example the courses that we did, the Welcome to At-Large, and the introduction to our contribution to policy development within At-Large, that those involved people from across the At-Large community who are interested in contributing to the development of a course.

Now, there's obviously a lot of work and interest that's gone into this from the LACRALO region. And that is good, because if that is presented to, for example, at an ALT Plus meeting and generate interest from other people who may want to attend—I'm just wondering, Heidi, if there was a group that came from across the region into a working group like this, like a resource, like capacity building resource set of work, they would be able to have interpretation.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Absolutely. These could be part of a series of workshops or webinars, similar to what the Capacity Building Working Group is doing. A lot of—we see that in these requests for courses, he's requesting interpretation, which we can include already without an ABR, for a webinar or a series of webinars. So that is definitely a way to go. This is something also that the RALO leadership may wish to do. If it's just for really getting into the RALOs, we can certainly do that as well. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. I think that one of the things that you will probably notice is that our capacity building program is going beyond just having webinars, although we still will have webinars, we want to actually make it more workshop oriented so that there are more people involved in creating resources for enhancing that outreach and engagement, enhancing capacity building, enhancing the sorts of work that is important to At-Large.

So I think what we've got here, are some really great ideas as starting points for developing the kind of things that we want to do in the workshops. And as I said, put the comments in, have a read through and say, is there another way in which we can do this? It's not embarrassing, but it could be that we were put in—in the past, we've put in heaps of ABR and would be lucky if we got one. We extremely lucky last year that we put in some ideas which really captured the attention of ICANN. And of course, now we're involved in this survey that we're doing in an India on IDNs.

We've got to be more innovative about how we do things, rather than keeping it within one region, just trying to see how it can actually be used across At-Large. And if we can actually develop the right programs that are inclusive of all the communities and can actually be useful to everyone, this is really what we want to look at.

So are we at the end of the applications?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

No, Maureen, and I'm conscious of the time. So just very quickly—and I understand that we may be speaking too quickly for Augusto. I apologize. And again, this is something that we still have time for everyone to take a look—sorry, if we can scroll back up, Claudia, there are a couple of more LACRALO ones. This is the UA course, which as Maureen said, it's perfect timing for a lot of the work on UA that ICANN is doing, At-Large is doing. This is a really good course that we could continue.

Last year we had the UA course with GSE in LACRALO, just starting now in NARALO. This is something that could really be across At-Large in this next fiscal year. As we get the responses from the end user support survey, this is really something we can totally do without an ABR. And I think it's a very exciting course if I can see that. So please do add your comments there.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'm really sorry, I do have to leave now. And I know that there's still a couple more to be discussed. But I do implore everyone—Heidi will

continue on with this meeting. But if you've got comments, please do make them in those sections. Either solutions or ideas or any kind of comments so we've got something to actually discuss at our next meeting. Okay, terribly sorry I have to rush, and I hope you have a wonderful day, wherever you are. And thank you so much for coming. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, Maureen. And if I may just continue. There's one more LACRALO one. This, again, is a really good one. This is a LAC digital ABR. This one is again looking for hybrid or totally virtual. They are asking for four separate meetings in each of the four regions of LACRALO. And if you scroll down a little bit, thank you, Claudia, you'll see that he is asking for travel support here. Overall, the request is for \$25,000. Again, we don't know where we're going to be in fiscal year 23 regarding our travel. So I don't know. It's worth submitting perhaps.

Again, at that time, the ABR requests, where each of the RALOs do get some funding for travel regionally, that once travel opens up again, those will be able to come back so this can help with that, or that could help with implementing this particular request. Also, this is something that might be part of the LACRALO General Assembly, which will now very likely take place in fiscal year 23.

So Augusto, very good ideas. Just the question for this group is whether this constitutes an ABR or could it be implemented through coordination with GSE or some other funding availability that At-Large has?

Let's continue to the last one, NARALO. Judith, I don't know if you want to ...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure, I can talk on that. So this ABR, what Eduardo has been doing is he's been restreaming all of the NARALO meetings and any events that we hold, and he's restreaming them to a site that he's been paying the membership of. This should not be an ABR, is asking only for \$1,000. And we could be paying that if allowed from the NARALO discretionary funds. But he's asking for approval for ICANN to be paying for this restreaming service and maybe set up something so it's not continually [off system] but it's basically paying for—it's worked on—he's got of a lot of new people who've come on and listened to the Facebook posts and listened to the other things and it does open up the platform to many other people. It's a good proposal, but in my opinion, it's not an ABR because it's only \$1000 and we could use that from discretionary funds. But is there a reason why we can't use discretionary funds money to pay for this?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

I would need to get back to you on that. I know that this has been a longstanding issue. I would again need to get back to you on that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

But yeah, it seems like this would be something that ICANN can do. The issue is I think it has to be put out on an ICANN system and that's why we can't use it. But it's a small amount. And it seems something that

GSE or discretion funds could pay for. Because if you scroll down, it says it's only 1000.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. So putting it in as an ABR might be useful, not just for the funding,

but just because it would need to be considered.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, but that's basically it. They'll say—yes, but also the thing is, could

you find out if we could do it with discretionary funds?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Again, we've had that request and we have been working on that.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, so that's what this is.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And for people who didn't use the right form, didn't know about the

right form, could staff be able to—

HEIDI ULLRICH: You're the only one, Judith, who did not submit it on the right form. So

I'll go ahead and send you the—

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Would you be able to transfer it?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, I think it's better if you go ahead and submit it, it's actually a very

short document. So I'll just send the template to you. And you can go

ahead and do that. You have some time. So it's okay.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, I know. I may have some time, but physically, I don't really have

time. That's why.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'd prefer if you could just find time to do that, if you could. We're really

stretched as well. So right now, as is, you can still consider it. So you

have until the end of the month to put it into the right template.

Because I put the material here, so FBSC and ALAC can move ahead with

this. And to answer Raymond's question, no, we did not receive any

ABRs this year from either AFRALO or APRALO

But as a Maureen mentioned, we had so many, we had really a record

last year. So we're still working through some of those. And a lot of

these were that were approved this year were very detailed and have

taken considerable time as well.

So just to continue—I'm conscious of the time—we do have—that's the review. As Maureen noted, please do put your notes in. You'll see there's a column there, comments by FBSC members. If there are no other questions, we can scroll way up, you'll have the process here for what comes next. So we're a little late, just because we needed to find a good time for the FBSC.

Okay, so here we are. If you can scroll down, fiscal year 23 additional budget requests. And you'll see that we are now at the discussion of the draft proposals. Most of you who have submitted are on this call. Augusto, I have a request to send you the comments in an e-mail. Silvia and I will work on that.

So the next one is—again, Maureen has mentioned, please add your comments. In the next few days, I'll take a look at this page again and I'll send any comments to people who are not on this call. Then, it says here the FBSC to review all RALO revised requests again.

I think we can take a look at that again. But I think it might be better to go to the ALAC first, and then have the FBSC review one more time. And then again, because Maureen requested an extension, we now have until the 31st of January. So that gives us thankfully some more time. And after that, we do have the time—it goes within the ICANN process. So there'll be various steps of review there.

Okay, and then as we go into that spring season, March, April, we'll have final assessments internally and then the Board, as they approve and look at the fiscal year 23 budget, they'll make their decision in the May period.

Just coming back to the ALAC meeting, I know that Maureen has requested that Xavier be on the call to look at the fiscal year 23 budget issues, talk primarily about that, but also take a look at some of the ABR requests being considered. So you might want to ask him questions there. I don't know to what extent he will be able to comment, but there might be other people on the call from Org who might be able to have a little bit more input there.

So I think that is it. So for the next call—I'll check with Maureen, but I think it might be immediately after the 25th, so we can have one more final review and then we'll be submitting them by the 31st of January. Welcome, Aziz.

So if there are no further comments, again—

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Do we know when exactly? because I'm traveling next week.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry, exactly what? The ALAC?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: The time for the call, because I'm traveling.

HEIDI ULLRICH: For the FBSC?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, we'll send a Doodle for that. I have to check with Maureen. But we'll send a Doodle for that in the next day or so. I think that is it then. Many thanks to everyone who has submitted. I think they are interesting ABRs. Stay tuned for a Doodle coming your way very soon.

Okay, thank you, everyone.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Thank you all. The meeting is adjourned.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]