CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee working group call on Monday the 25th of January 2021 at 16:30 UTFC.

On the call today we have Maureen Hilyard, Dave Kissoondoyal, Joanna Kulesza, Justine Chew, Nadira Al-Araj, Ricardo Holmquist, and Sébastien Bachollet. We have not received any apologies yet.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Our Spanish interpreters for today are David and Veronica, and our French interpreters are Aurélie and Jacques.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and also to keep your microphones muted while not speaking to prevent any background noise.

And welcome to Judith Hellerstein and Marita Moll who have just joined the call. Thank you, Maureen. I will turn the call over to you now.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Claudia. Welcome, everyone. Good to see a good team of people here today, especially as this is one of the final meetings that we have in regards to the applications that we have at the moment, and I'm really pleased to see that [inaudible] actually had a

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

look at the applications, made a few comments and made a few comments that will give us a bit of a starting point for making decisions.

So I don't think we should spend too much time mucking around. I think we ought to get straight on to it. Can we have the proposals up, please, Claudia? I would have probably advised people to click into the agenda and get the workspace for themselves.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Does the workspace have the changes that Sébastien just sent in? I didn't get a chance to look at them.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I haven't gone down that far myself, but Sébastien's here, so he will be able to make sure that we're up to date with anything. Okay, we'll start from the top. The first one is Judith's one about the captioning.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Sorry, Maureen, I raised my hand.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sorry, Sébastien. [inaudible], please.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

I raised my hand before Judith.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

All right.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

[With a question.] But I wanted just to inform you that I sent you all the proposal with changes and it couldn't be reflect in the document we have because I'd done it in Word. But I sent it and it seems that members of this group were not able to receive the attached files. I don't know why, but it was not working. Therefore, some of you get some of them because I use your personal e-mail address, not the list, but I will try to tell you what has changed in the proposal for each one. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. That sounds good. Thank you, Sébastien. [That's our] only chance to do that. Okay, so moving on then, going through real-time transcription. There seems to be support. Marita, you mentioned stats.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

There are stats in the document. [inaudible] document, there are stats. They're older stats. When I put this in, we didn't have newer stats yet, but they're very similar. So it's not in the summary that she put in, it's in the actual document. We do have stats for them. And we're working on the report for the next year.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Judith. Is that acceptable, Marita? I was actually going to say that there are stats available and that I'm sure that they would have been in the application. Nadira.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Last week, because I couldn't attend the meeting, I sent my feedback to many of those—the proposals that were sent, I don't see my comments in the comment section. But most of them, they are in agreement with what is written. If they are different, I will raise my hand. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That'll be excellent. Thank you, Nadira. I think this is an opportunity to add anything more that people want to add anyway. So that's fine. Heidi, I guess you're taking notes, but I would say the first one's fine. So let's move on. We have quite a few to get through.

The next one is Jonathan's one on the adoption of the tools that he's actually been raising during the year. People have had some trials. I think that what was actually being asked for is an opportunity to be able to trial without having the same argument, we don't have enough staff to do this, blah-blah. There must be some way that we can actually have an ordinary tool that doesn't require any kind of supervision.

So I think what we're asking for is just a license, if it's licensed, and then we can use it. It's all part of the push that we're doing within At-Large to make sure that, especially with the prospect of another year of virtual, that we actually have tools we can use to make better decisions, to engage more people. So I'm pretty much—and I see with others there—

in agreement. So, is there anyone who is thinking—a lot of these things may be borderline. I would say I still think we should actually put them in. Leave it up to them to say no. But I think there are quite a few, and this is one of them, that have been rejected before. But [let's still push it.] Anyone vehemently against that? Great, awesome.

Next, this also, I really think that it's important that it's important that if we're going to be putting out the DNS abuse issue, very important to At-Large, if we're going to make sure that we're getting out to our community, that translation is available. Is there anyone who is vehemently against this one? It's a cut and paste of the information that Jonathan's put in his document, and he's actually explained it as well as Jonathan does. Justine.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thank you, Maureen. Not opposing, but a question. Are we meant to put a figure to all these proposals? [inaudible] figures, and I'm looking at the actual proposal and I don't see the figure in there either. So just a query. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

So like a cost figure you mean?

JUSTINE CHEW:

Yes, that's right. After all, this is a budget request.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I haven't actually seen—unless there's something specific that

Heidi might be able to—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Maureen, hi. So in the past, they were—

MAUREEN HILYARD: She has her hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Can you not hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: But she's probably on mute.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Heidi, if you're speaking, you're on mute.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not on mute. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Heidi?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Heidi, we're not able to hear you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you hear me?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: She says she's not on mute, but yeah, Heidi, I'm sorry, we're not able to

hear you at the moment.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, well, we can sort Heidi out and her audio issue. But it's not very

often that we actually—for most of this, we never know how much they're going to cost anyway, and so we just leave that at that. Justine,

seeing as Heidi's not available.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I think we have Heidi.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Hang on, Justine. Do you want to make the comment now while

she's—

JUSTINE CHEW: Yeah. I'm just noting in chat Heidi says no numbers needed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Hi. Can you hear me now?

MAUREEN HILYARD: We certainly can, yes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. The gremlins were there. So as Justine has noted, no, we do

not need figures right now. Some of them have included them, but

primarily, that is for ICANN Org to work out. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Awesome. Thank you for that clarification. So we don't have to worry

about-

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, if I may, on this one, you'll note that this is asking for existing

information from places like the US or from the European Union. As

Jonathan has noted, in the US, they're already in Spanish and English,

and in the EU, they're in a lot of languages. So basically, that would

reduce the amount of translation that we would need. So that's one

good aspect there. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. But that's actually using other people's information. Heidi, did

you hear me?

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry, what was the question?

MAUREEN HILYARD: So that means that we'd be using other people's cobbling together

other people's information in various languages.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct. And then when needed, there would be translation, for

example, in Arabic, in Chinese, from the EU, items and anything from

the US that would be in the other languages that the At-Large group $% \left(1\right) =\left(1\right) \left(1\right)$

uses. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Okay. So, would we have to purchase those? Would there be a

cost involved, do you think?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. For translation, yes. For anything that would be needed to be

translated, then yes, there would be a cost for that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Marita.

MARITA MOLL:

I don't want to sidetrack the process here, but I have to tell you I'm totally baffled that the process doesn't include any funding. Like I might support a certain project at one funding level but not at another, if it was a vast difference. So I just find it very hard to make any evaluations, as I said in the chat. I've done a lot of this kind of stuff but it always includes all information and funding, and that makes a difference on the amount of support I might give to it.

So as I said, don't want to side track the process. I obviously don't know enough about it. But I'm just a little baffled, that's all.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, that's fine. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

So Marita, I totally understand your view on that. The reason being is that this process then now goes to a group that works for finance and other departments within ICANN Org, and they decide what the cost of these particular items might be. Some of these activities might be considered part of normal support, so that would just be moved over to that. So that's how they evaluate the cost of these activities. Travel, the same way, they have their own way of calculating per person what one per night would be including flight and hotel, etc. So there's all these calculations that they use to see what kind of cost a request might be. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. Yes, and I guess the argument that is given within the actual application, and [being] really specific about what it is that you're actually asking for, that is very important for them to be able to assess what level of funding might be available for it. So that's also [inaudible].

MARITA MOLL:

Okay. Thanks very much. It's unique, and I'm still learning.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. That's fine. Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. I just want to give a bit of historical perspective. Marita is at some level right and wrong. We call these budget requests, but they're not budget requests. They're functional need requests. And the end result sometimes is it gets funded—and I put that word in quotes—but appropriately so we don't actually get what we ask for. And other times, it doesn't get funded but we get what we ask for.

So although they're called budget requests because they're feeding into a budget, they're not actually budget requests, they're functional requests. And if you think of it from that point of view, it makes a little bit more sense. It still, in my mind, would make sense for us to associate a price with it, and that would act as a sanity check to verify that what they're interpreting our request is comparable to what we're asking for. But within the ICANN environment, we're not supposed to worry about prices. We don't know what things cost. At some level, they're patting us on the head and saying, "Don't worry, the big boys—or girls—will

know what we're talking about. That's not your trouble." Thank you. That's somewhat cynical, I'm afraid, but that's the way I view it after many years of this.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. That's true. I have to say that when we've put in a lot of these requests, if it happens to fit in with something that they've got—and it's one of the reasons why I would really like people to get themselves acquainted with what Org is actually doing, what projects they're working on, because if it fits in with something that they're doing, it's very easy for them to [slip it in] so there's really no cost involved if they actually let us have what we ask for because it's already part of what they're doing.

Okay, let's go, next one.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Maureen, Sébastien has his hand up.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sorry. [inaudible].

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

I am sorry.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's okay.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

A very short thing. In fact, the ABR was set up to allow people and Organization within ICANN to request funding for stuff who were supposed to go to start to be organized before we get the final budget. And it's why we were suppose, for example, if the IGF were taking care in August, we can't wait July to be engaged and to participate and to put some money on the table to organize the travel. Therefore, we needed budget before, and it's a budget request, it's not budget—we don't say what we need at the level of the money, we say what we want. And it's a request and staff and Board will decide if the money is available and what level of money is available for us.

And it's extend now, it's not just for the first month of the fiscal year, it's for the whole year, it's for everything that's not included in the normal budget or year-to-year budget. But it was the meaning of this when we started, and it could have been asked advanced budget request that more additional budget request. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sébastien, for that extra information. Okay, so, can we move on to the next one, please? Okay, I think this is the third of Jonathan's ones, the end user poll. I'm not quite sure what the—does anyone have any ideas on how the poll may be used in regards to what Jonathan is actually asking for here? I' was just not quite sure about how we would use it often enough to warrant making a request for it. Nadira.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Thank you. From what I heard from the recording, he's talking about the application, not the voting. He's just defining the use of the application like [Loomio,] the one he tried. So his proposal, I think he meant about the application, seeking funding for developing or subscribing to an application. That's what I could understand from the recording. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Yes, I understand that—I'm just thinking—just us trying to justify its use. If we actually have access to it, what makes it so different from using SurveyMonkey or something like that that we're already using or have access to.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

Yeah. I think it will be handy because people can discuss—using it for discussion on the points. If we want just using the Doodle poll, there is no options that we can provide comments on our justifying the reasoning. So once the poll is raised, there could be a discussion, like what he attempted was Loomio. I think he did something like that. So [it's in a way, like] the discussion part of it. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Marita.

MARITA MOLL:

Hi. Are we mixing up two different requests from Jonathan here? One of them, the platforms, about Loomio and other threaded discussions, and

the other one about actual polling, which is a different issue altogether? I'm kind of hearing bits of both in the discussion, so I'm not sure which one we're at. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. This is specifically the user poll, and I'm wondering whether what he's asking for is something that we might be able to do with applications that we're already using, like SurveyMonkey. So I just wanted to know if this is ... Justine, you have your hand up.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thank you. The way I see it, this third one on the professional individual end user poll is more to do with the design of the poll rather than the tool itself. So I don't really see it as a matter whether we use SurveyMonkey or whatever tool that is available. It is how you design the poll considering the content that goes into there, the type of questions that's going to be asked in the poll. That is a professional service that we require. So again, it's not about the tool but it's the design of the poll or the actual whole exercise of setting the themes, what we want to get feedback on in terms of the theme itself, and the questioning. There is a professional way of designing a survey or poll in order to address the questions properly to get the answers that we're looking for. So it's quite different. I see the two—

MAUREEN HILYARD:

All right. So using the professional services in order to make sure we're actually asking the right questions in our poll.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Yes, that's right.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. So that's what I was going to say. Justine gave a good answer, but also, I think he's trying to get a tool to get people's impressions on, is this the way forward? And sort of what he tried to do in Loomio—but it didn't work as well—is trying to get people to think on it and suggest things.

Roberto used Doodle, but he crafted his own little answers. Instead of using Doodle for making a time for meetings, he posed his question and then gave choices. So there's a different way, but it's very cumbersome way. So I think Jonathan's looking for something that can provide easy feedback. And so I think his thing is looking for [inaudible] feedback, but I agree he does need a little bit more clarity on what he's looking.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, just going by what Marita is saying in the chat, it sounds very much like a Gallup poll kind of thing where it's getting a lot of information in order to—before you create the poll itself. So Ricardo, you have your hand up. Thank you.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST:

Thank you, Maureen. It's too much, "we think," "we interpret." We need to go back to Jonathan and ask him to clarify this instead of trying to interpret what he put in the screen. It's my particular view. Because we have three different views here. One is the software, one is the poll, and the other is the Gallup thing. And the one who knows what he wants is Jonathan.

And also, in this particular ABR, I would like him to [present some numbers.] I understand the previous conversation on numbers, but in this one, I'm not sure what he wants. And one thing is software, and this may be \$1-3000. But designing a poll may be \$1-3000, but getting a poll for everybody may be \$1 million. So we need to clarify what he wants. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. And I have to agree here, because I think what we need to, first of all, is actually—I can see what everyone's saying in that we need to look at making sure the design is that we actually have the poll—the design of the actual poll itself needs to be specific, and it has to be crafted properly. But I'm just wondering, have we envisaged a purpose for it during the year? Do we actually have something in mind that will actually justify putting this application in right now?

So if we can perhaps get some more clarity from this, although there's only like four days before we have to—I think what we need to do is put this on the side for the moment until we get some clarity from Jonathan, because I don't want to spend too much time on this one. We need to move on., But we'll get some clarity from Jonathan and we'll let

everyone know how we're going to move forward with this later. Is that okay with everyone so that we can—as Ricardo says, just get some clarity and then we can make a decision [inaudible].

Okay, moving on to the next one, please. How many have we got of these, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi Maureen. I actually haven't counted. Normally, I do. But they sort of just came in very last-minute a lot of them. So now we're moving on to the RALO ones. I can give you a number in just a minute.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. This one is Internet governance. I think that, yeah, my query was to do with the relevance of the sessions to just in the reading of the description, relevance of the application to ICANN. So, just reading down the [columns,] does anyone else have any additional information they'd like to add with respect to this one?

NADIRA AL-ARAJ:

I kind of—providing relevant comment to what I provided to the virtual SIG, vSIG, the North American SIG, because I think the budget—what they could be provided, teamed with a regional global stakeholder engagement, that's where the budget could come from, not from the additional budget request. So I'm not sure if this additional request budget goes from ICANN and they can pull in from the regional global stakeholder engagement office to this budget, then it works. So, other

than that, it's not through the ALAC to submit this proposal. That was my personal opinion. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. That's in line with what I think people are sort of saying here, is that it's not within the remit. And this is what makes it really important, is that when we're actually putting these applications, we just need to feel confident that, yes, it fits within the realms of what At-Large can actually request as a legitimate ICANN-related activity.

So, this is probably—they don't mention too much in the way of domains and ICANN. 17 RALO ABRs. Okay, we've got quite a lot to get through. So this is a yes or no. I would say that from the comments that we've got, this is probably a no for forwarding on. So there's quite a few in a similar vein. That's the first one. Is there anyone who thinks we should—Justine, your hand is up.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thank you. In relation to the first proposal, the one that's called the Chadian school of Internet governance, I'm leaning towards getting more clarification since there's an opportunity to do that, because on the one hand, it is to do with Internet governance, and they do mention this thing about teaching history of Internet, technical management, blah-blah, and architecture, infrastructure, standards, protocols and management of Internet names and numbers.

So they do mention that, although not in detail. So that's where I think a few of us said that the link towards ICANN may not be strong enough.

But they do actually reference that, so I was wondering whether we had the opportunity to get them to perhaps strengthen their proposal towards that in order for consideration. I don't want to vote down this particular proposal at this point in time, if we can.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. I see your point. Okay, this is part of the African strategy. It's just that even if they had one session, for example, to include the history of it, the costs for them, let's say it's a \$9000 or nearly \$10,000 cost. So I think that's where I was looking at where they gave a cost, and I didn't think that it actually met the level of input that they're going to include. At the same time, if they took away the costs and perhaps emphasized this more, except that there's probably more likelihood that they would get GSE support anyway. So we have to look at them all because they all will have this little bit of an inclusion in there, of course, to match it up with ICANN's remit. So we have to weigh up about, is it strong enough to actually push through? And as has been pointed out, we're putting a lot of energy into making selections for activities which are probably going to be virtual anyway. So we just have to be look at it from that viewpoint. Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much, Maureen. I can talk about this one, but I don't want—as I can't talk about the other one, I don't want to push, but this one already organize one this year, it was the first try. And I can tell you, as I was one of the people who were able to travel to teach those people, that they were very engaged and it was very interesting, not

just for the participants but also the relationships we were able to make with the representative from the government, from the ccTLD, [it's a French] ccTLD and so on and so forth.

And GSE, as they are banned to travel, were not able to travel, but they were participating online. And I can tell you that half of the two days—it was two days this year—was about ICANN and around ICANN questions. And therefore, I think this one—GSE didn't put money, it's why they are asking for ABR this year, and I think it's good and it's useful. But if you want, I can try to find what was the program this year. There were three so-called international experts, all coming from At-Large. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. I think that—just using it from an example, [a personal] example, I've put in an ABR which was for the Pacific IGF, and I had actually put it in in case the GSE wasn't going to contribute. And I just got some confirmation yesterday that they are. So I actually pulled that ABR out. And it's exactly the same thing as what's being—

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

It's not IGF, Maureen, it's why it's different.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I know. Exactly. But although I'm saying Pacific IGF, it's actually in collaboration with the APTLD as well. So there's actually that involvement. So I know it's a different topic, but it's a similar kind of request. So it's up to us to make that decision about whether we accept or not, but I think we just need to—and your contribution has been

valuable in that they've done it. But if they leave \$10,000 there as the amount, they might say, well, does that validate the input that it might have? I don't know. It's up to you guys.

Okay, have a look at the others, because there are 17 of these, and that was the first one. The next one is interesting. And on digital inclusion, and that is, again, just looking at how we can relate that to ICANN. Again, I thought that this would be a really good one, and probably, it's something that they might be able to get some GSE support for. But I'm not quite sure about it as fitting it in as an ABR.

We're going through these because there are some new ones in here and we have to consider them all. So we might have to do sort of a poll at the end of it. But let's go through a whole lot of them first.

Okay, so that's that one. And again, looking at [relevance.] The next one, social networks. Any comments or changes?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Maureen, sorry to interrupt, could you just let me know what the final decision on these are as we go through them, please? I don't know—

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'm not quite sure if we're actually having a final decision. But at the moment, like the first one that we did was actually—we're pretty split so I'm just wondering whether we should do a poll as we go through. Alan's got his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, I was going to ask basically the same thing. We went through that previous one and all of the comments seemed to be quite negative. There's very little connection with ICANN, but we didn't make a decision or even—I'm just not quite sure what we're doing here.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I know. Yeah. Well, we've got quite a lot of people here now which makes it—I don't know if we've got anyone from LACRALO. Have we?

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Maureen, yes, we have Harold on Spanish.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Awesome. Okay. Would Harold be able to put up a tick or a cross on the—or would he be able to put a hand up? Yeah, he could. Okay. Well, let's go back. We'll do this, and just to give us an idea, we'll go back to the very first one, which was the first AFRALO one.

Okay, so this one was the Internet governance one. We've already discussed this one. So this is a yes or a no, we'll just get a feel of the room. Put a tick for a yes. Or you can put a cross—

HEIDI ULLRICH:

And Maureen, this is just for the FBSC members, correct? Because I'm not sure if we have others on the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, this is just for the FBSC members.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: So we're not supposed to put no? I've put no.

MAUREEN HILYARD: You can put no if you want. Yes or no, tick or cross, or number one. This

is on the Chadian school of Internet governance.

HEIDI ULLRICH: And just for those who might not be familiar, it's under reactions now,

in the bottom mid, bottom right of your Zoom room.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: They keep getting erased.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's strange. Have I got an old version of—

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And Ricardo have put ours up—myself and Ricardo. But see, mine just

disappeared again.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I don't see either of them.

They're only there for like ten seconds. I keep having to do it. JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Can you see my tick? MAUREEN HILYARD: HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, I see your green tick. MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. And Judith's— HEIDI ULLRICH: MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. This is bizarre. HEIDI ULLRICH: So I see Dave is a yes, Joanna is a yes. Mauren, you're a yes. JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We should just put it in the chat. It stays longer. MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's going to be long.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Do you guys want to try this poll? Everybody just say yes or no and we'll

[inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: There we go. Okay. Right. We'll use this.

JUSTINE CHEW: Can the poll please include the proposal so we have a record of what

we're voting on?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Well, I created this on the fly so I haven't had a chance to do this. So this

is for the very first one, the AFRALO Chadian school of Internet

governance.

MAUREEN HILYARD: We'll have to be very specific. That should [really have been prepared.]

But I honestly didn't know that the raising hand, yes no and all that stuff

would not work.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I wasn't aware that they faded out so quickly either, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, that's not good.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Why don't you just ask for objections? Most of them are going to be approved.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

And also, Marita asked a question. That's also my thought too. Does yes mean we approve without any further clarification, or are we going to get clarifications and then vote again?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Sorry, but what are the clarification you are needed for? What type of clarification you want?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No, yes, I think there's really only one that's actually really asking for clarification, and that's Jonathan's one which is not one that we're considering here. But I think what we need to do in this one is get pretty much a ballpark figure of a yes or a no, because we've got 17 of them to get through. So we need to look at whether we're actually going to accept or not.

So we are looking first of all—I think using this poll, as long as we're really specific, the poll that we're actually looking at—the one that we're voting on is the one that we're actually looking at on the screen at the moment. So if people could just put in a yes or no in there, and we can get a response quickly. And I'd just like to say that if we can get hat done, that would be really—

ALAN GREENBERG: And for clarity, you're talking about the ten formal FBSC members only.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. Only the ten. Thank you. Which doesn't include me, of course.

MARITA MOLL: Maureen, my hand's up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I'm sorry. Yes.

MARITA MOLL: I cannot vote on this unless I know what yes means. Does yes mean—

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes means yes, definitely. No clarifications, nothing. This is a, shall we

include it or shall we not? if you think it needs clarification, [say] yes.

MARITA MOLL: Because I'm hearing from Sébastien that he attended this and there was

ICANN stuff included. It is entirely possible that it's simply not included in this description. We're not even looking at [the description.] So it would be hugely unfair to vote now when I don't have all the

information. This is how I feel.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Exactly. And this is what we have. Do you think that there's a chance that if it was changed—and this is what we tried to say, you must be very clear about what it is because we're actually competing not just with At-Large, we're actually competing with everybody else. And if they look at this and they go, "Well, where's the ICANN content?" So we have to be very clear. But if you think it needs an opportunity, put yes. But if you think it's just not good enough, we put in a no. And we'll be guided by that. And if it's something that needs clarification, then we can actually follow that up over the next few days, but it has to be done by the 29th, because that's the deadline for getting these applications in.

So we're actually voting on this one, the ten people who are eligible to vote, and it's a yes or no vote. Okay? So this is the first one. Got a minute.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Is the poll open again?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. How many voters have we actually got here?

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

We have seven yes and one no so far.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. So that means there are eight people of the ten are actually here

today, eight of the FBSC people? Is that correct?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, I confirm we have eight of the ten members on.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's great. All right. Done.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: We're missing Matthias and Aziz. Am I good to end this and restart it?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

ALAN GREENBERG: For clarity, Claudia, do you see who voted, or do you just see the

counts?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I just see the counts.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so we don't actually know the eight members are the ones who

voted. Not the best way to do this.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. It's a trust thing. But the fact that the Zoom yes/no thing doesn't

work-

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Maureen, why don't we just put our names in the chat and that's what

we'll vote on?

MAUREEN HILYARD: There's 17 of them, Judith, and the chat's going to—I'd like to get this

done without having to go through the chat later on.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: So I'm just trusting that it's only the eight people who are entitled to

vote who actually are voting. So the next one was the—I know it's not

the best, but this is what we can do. Claudia, can we just go to the next

one, please?

Okay, the next one was digital inclusion was the coding for girls. Again,

looking at it, the connection to ICANN. So this is a yes or no. Remember,

you can see all the comments that have actually been done if you're

actually looking at it on your own screen, but this is the one we're

actually voting on now. Claudia, let me know when everyone's voted.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And remember, only vote if you're an actual member of the FBSC, not if

you're just participating. If you're appointed by your RALO.

NADIRA AL-ARAJ: May I suggest that all these related school of—to have them lumped

together? And then have them as one recommendation, and then

[inaudible].

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I'm not hearing Nadira.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No. And as Justine says, no, these are separate and we need to deal

with them as separate. Okay, so have the eight people voted?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi Maureen. Now we have three yeses and five nos for a total of eight.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Great. Thank you. Moving on to the next one, please. Okay, this is

what we were up to, and looking at it from this one. We actually didn't

start discussing it, but does anyone have any further other comments

before we make a vote? I'm assuming that everyone has had a chance

to read through this. Okay, so can we have the vote? No hands up, so

let's have the vote. As soon as the eight people have voted, then we

move on to the next one.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Maureen, [inaudible] see the results? Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Perfect. Thank you. So we'll go on to the next one then, please. Thank you very much, anyway, to those people who actually did check out and make comments. It was really helpful [inaudible]. The next one on Internet governance.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Maureen, can I ask you a question, please?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, please.

ALAN GREENBERG:

I haven't been paying very much attention over the last couple of years to the results of these budget requests. Has ICANN, through budget requests, been funding any schools of Internet governance? I know they can be funded through GSE, I know they can be funded through the RALO discretionary funding. Have any of these been approved ion recent years, or not? A yes/no answer would suffice.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Not that I'm aware of. I believe what the view is is that given the RALOs now have RALO discretionary funding, that these sorts of activities would go under that. And I know it's not enough to cover them, but it is a possible partial way of covering these sorts of activities.

The virtual SIG, that one, I know there was a little bit of funding given to that one through GSE. In the past, a few of the—either SIGs or the national IGs were given a little bit of funding through the GSE. I'm not aware—

ALAN GREENBERG:

Heidi, let me ask a follow-on question. In your experience, do you believe—and this is a belief, not a fact—that by making these budget requests, we increase the chances that GSE may respond? In other words, the budget people will come back and say, well, if we're going to fund it, it'll be through GSE, and that puts more pressure on GSE or something?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Good question. Yes. I think at least they will—

ALAN GREENBERG:

Okay. So including them knowing they're going to fail is not a bad thing for schools of Internet governance with an ICANN focus. Okay. Thank you. That's a good enough reason for approving it in my mind, knowing it won't get funded but puts it on the radar for GSE.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

But why don't we send them all to GSE rather than going through the process of sending them off to Finance where they're going to get rejected anyway, and just bundle them all up and send them all to GSE and put in a case to GSE?

ALAN GREENBERG:

What Heidi said, I think, is this may increase the probability that GSE really focuses on it, so it's not a bad thing.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Right. It's a mark of support from us.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. But do we still go through the process of that, whether we—so it still has to be ICANN-related, and I think that if we feel that it's not ICANN-related enough, that it isn't going to be one of those that we actually—and I guess it's one of the reasons too, that, having had Sébastien attend the one in Chad really gives evidence that they actually are. But it really helps when you actually get leaders—when leaders can actually be there and [inaudible].

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yeah, we've had good experience with schools of Internet governance, both with an ICANN focus, with participation of ICANN senior people, and with GSE funding them. So I don't think there's a question about, are schools of Internet governance good, but my question was, should we be approving them in this process? And the answer seems to be we

know they're not going to get funded through this process but it's a good thing to put them in. So that's fine.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. But we'll still go through the process because there are several different types of—they're not all the same. We haven't gotten to this one yet, have we? Because it's good to get the yes or no anyway. Yes, can we have this one then, please?

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Maureen, also, just to let you know we are two minutes past the top of

the hour.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Oh my god.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Yeah. So I don't know if you—I had an idea. Maybe if we put all the ABRs and the descriptions in a Google survey and send it out to the members only so they could vote, and that way we could see and I could share it with you and with everyone?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Okay.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Great idea.

So that would be really convenient. Yeah. True. MAUREEN HILYARD: CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay, so we'll do that. All righty. MAUREEN HILYARD: ALAN GREENBERG: That way we also get the people who aren't on this meeting, which is good. CLAUDIA RUIZ: I could send it out to everyone, but I could only send it out to the members as well. MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, it's really just for the FBSC members themselves. JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Maureen? MAUREEN HILYARD: It's just that we haven't had a chance to discuss—Sébastien, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, and I wanted to [discuss Sébastien.]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Sébastien first. Thank you.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you. I have no problem with this process, I just wanted to be sure that if there are questions, it's time to answer them, because I think that discussion using the tools we have was good to enhance the proposal, and particularly the one from EURALO. I tried to take into account all the comments made by the people who made comments. But if there are still questions, I think it's important to raise before you vote. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, unfortunately, Sébastien, we've got a really tight time constraint, and again, it's one of the reasons why—if we tell people who are actually on the FBSC that there have been changes made to the [EURALO things,] but please do just have a [inaudible] through if you haven't done so already, have a look through the actual application and make your decision then, yes or no, when you actually get the survey. I think it's really important.

I think it's going to be coming within the next day. Today, if possible, hopefully, Claudia, so that we can actually at least—if there's something that needs to be clarified, we can actually get that query to the person

who is in charge of that application so that we can make those changes. Heidi, last word before we get to go.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much. Just given that we do need to have all of them submitted by this Friday, could we please also ask in the poll or the survey that we're going to send out now if it's a yes, yes with revisions, and no? And please, could we just have it sent out today and have it back no later than Wednesday? So if there are a few yes with revisions, then we can send it to the people who have submitted them and they can make their changes by Friday.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, that would be perfect.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. And Sébastien, I will be adding the revised versions before we send them out, just to confirm that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. And also, we certainly will take onboard the fact that for those—do look at the Internet governance ones and anything related to that that you think we can actually send together as a package to—it goes together as a package but still to finance as a sort of bulk ABR. Okay? All righty. Well, thank you very much. Yeah, it's been an onerous process, but just one of those things that—and it has caught us on the [inaudible] the time frame has been so tight. So, look out for the survey

that's going to be coming out today, and do be as quick as you can to get it back in again so we can actually send them in on Friday. Thank you very much, everyone. See you shortly. [inaudible]. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

[inaudible].

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Thank you all very much. This meeting is adjourned. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]