
KATRINA SATAKI: So, hello everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, and, indeed, good night, those who are already in night hours. This is the council call/council meeting 166, 17th September, 2020, 21:00 UTC. So, we're a quorate at the moment. Hopefully, we won't lose anyone as we go.

We have received some apologies. Byron, unfortunately, will not be able to join us today. Bart is also not able to join us today. He's ill. Any other apologies, Kim?

KIM CARLSON: Yes, Soulemane has sent his apologies.

KATRINA SATAKI: Soulemane, okay. Yeah. Okay. Soulemane, too. Oh, the minutes from our meeting on 8th September were distributed. No comments received, so they are approved. We have a list of items and to-dos, and that's ... Yeah. Some of them are completed, some are still ongoing. We're working on them. Any questions about that? No? No questions about to-dos? Good.

Okay. No inter-meeting decisions, apparently. Yeah. Let's move to the first substantial item. That is ccPDP3, part one, retirement. Any updates from your end, Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: It would help if I could unmute. We met this morning, actually. Retirement group did. We did a second look at the comments received, our response to the comments received, and that's now pretty much

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

locked down. We do not anticipate any changes in the language of the actual retirement document.

We do have to go in and tweak it a little bit with regard to terminology because the maintenance agency for 3166 just put out a new version of it. They tweaked their terminology a bit and, because they changed their terminology, our working group feels we need to update our use of the terminology to be completely in sync with them, with their new version.

Jaap and Bart began working on that and it's at a standstill at the moment, but we hope to get that going again. We have next meeting scheduled for 1st October, and then we have a meeting also scheduled at ICANN69. That's where we are there. With regard to the review mechanism—

KATRINA SATAKI: Wait, wait, wait. Let's not move to the review mechanism.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Okay, okay.

KATRINA SATAKI: Let's go back to retirement, about the carve-out.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Ah, yes, carve-out, mentioned last time. Bart has researched the mechanics of that and, of course, this being ICANN, it's not straightforward. We have to request, the working group has to request,

the issue manager to do that, and then it has to come up to the council for approval for the carve-out itself to happen, etc., etc., and then council will ... When it becomes a stand-alone policy, then council will eventually have to approve it and push it up to the board for their consideration.

KATRINA SATAKI: But before that, we need to speak to GAC. Currently, we're working on—

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Yeah, we have. We're working on a GAC webinar. The Doodle poll went out, I think, today, actually.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Looking for, it looks like, maybe two GAC webinars. I'm hoping it can just be one, but certainly we'll do two if necessary. That Doodle poll is, in my understand, still open so that, when it closes, we'll have a better idea of when that webinar is. And of course, I'll put that out on the council list and you are, of course, all free to attend.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. Well, before that, yeah, we need to explain and go back to what we mean by "carve-out." Exactly, Jordan, as you noted in the chat, that's the idea. So, initially, if you remember, back when we started talking about how to handle both parts, retirement and review mechanism, at the end,

we decided to do them not in parallel, but first we do part one, the retirement, and then we move to a review mechanism.

But now, it looks like there is no need to wait for a review mechanism to be complete. We just carve-out, so to speak, the first part, and just try to put a stop to it. But for that, yes, we really need to explain this once more to GAC, and we need them to [abide] this one. Any other questions about retirement? Oh, definitely, we will come back to you with more details on this one.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Oh, yeah. Absolutely.

KATRINA SATAKI: Okay. There is apparently some misspelling. Part two, review mechanism update. Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Okay. Review mechanism. Bernard has put together, actually, some language in a chart format/table format detailing, "Here's the issue, what has happened, and we're working through the processes." So, our next meeting will actually have some actual language to discuss, which will be nice. That will be a step forward.

And Review Working Group is meeting on a regular basis, every two weeks. So, we're actually getting into capturing some language, and then we can start discussing that, which will go out on the list, I think, on Monday or Tuesday next week.

Bernard and I are scheduled to chat about it a little bit more tomorrow, as to where he is, because he wants to push it out as quickly as possible for people to look at before our meeting, because our next meeting is next Wednesday. So, that's where we are with that. So, any questions, I'm happy to entertain. Not seeing a lot of waggling of hands. Katrina, that's it from me. Back to you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you. Okay. If no more questions, let's move to the next action item, and that's item number five, ccPDP4. Yeah. First one is we need to prove or replace a member. So, you see background information here. The decision is that we appoint [Jen] Kumar [inaudible] from .in, India, as member to the IDN ccPDP4 Working Group, and I request secretariat to inform Mr. [Jen] accordingly.

So, anyone would like to move? Alejandra, thank you. Stephen seconded. Thanks. Okay. Any questions? No. No questions. Everything is clear. Let's move to the vote. Anyone against? Anyone abstains? No? Thank you. Approved.

Part B of that is the update. Working Group had its first meeting on 8th September, not so long ago, last week. Yeah. So, hopefully they will soon decide on a chair and vice-chair, so they will inform us, and then we can take a formal decision. Okay. Thank you. Next one. Update on council election process. Informational. So, Joke, may I ask you to inform us about the process, how it's going on?

JOKE BRAEKEN:

Hi, Katrina. So, the council nomination process kicked off on the 9th of September. The duration will be three weeks, so it will close on the 30th of September. So far, we have received two nominations, one from the African region and one from the LAC region. Only the candidate from the African region was ... This candidate also received a [seconding]. No other [secondings] have been received to date. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you all. We still have time. That's good. Last week, we had this ... Well, for the first time, we tried webinars. I think it was last week. Was it? Yeah, exactly. Time flies. Really difficult to remember. I think it was last week. No. Maybe two weeks ago. Okay, it doesn't matter. We had those webinars for the first time ever. We tried to advertise and tell people how great it is to be on the council.

Giovanni, stop laughing. It's not funny. It was really very interesting. Two interesting webinars. Thanks a lot to all councilors who joined. I think that was a really ... It did add some more value, and one thing is, when I tried to explain and, "Oh, it's so great. Just join us ..." A completely different thing is when councilors give some real advice and real perspective on things, and everything that ... Well, especially [inaudible].

I really liked when Ai Chin, who was probably the only councilor who joined the second webinar ... The first webinar we had was full of councilors. Okay, maybe there were some people in the audience too but, okay, they are recorded. I know that some people watched the recordings. When Ai Chin said that, "Oh, yeah? Well, you have to read,

you have to work, and it's not that easy, but it is doable," that was really very encouraging.

Alejandra said, "Oh, you don't have to be afraid." Easy to say, of course. But no, I think they went well, especially for the first time, the first attempt to make people more interested in becoming councilors. So, we explained the process. We explained what is required. We explained how much time they should allocate to it, or something like that. Yeah.

One of the questions was, "How can you do your day job and work for ccNSO? How is it possible to do both things?" Yeah. So, we had to tell that maybe some people will have to give up knitting or some other hobbies and just do ccNSO. Alejandra.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO:

Thank you, Katrina. I just wanted to tell you that I got some feedback from the webinar and the feedback was very positive. They appreciated very much. The attendees told me that they felt more ... Or better yet, less afraid of the council. It's good to know that we are inviting people to participate and everything, so it was a very good idea. That's it.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you very much, Alejandra. Any other feedback from those who were on the call? Pablo?

PABLO RODRIGUEZ:

Thank you, Katrina. I believe that lots of people were very excited about what they were hearing, and many of them were inspired to participate

further, to continue to learn more and participate. If not in this one, they will aspire to other positions available in the near future.

In fact, I had at least one person approach me and ask me more about the ccNSO and the type of work that is being done there, and very excited and inspired. So, I believe that that webinar went very well and we should continue to do so. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yep. Thank you very much. As Nick noted in the chat, it's fine to combine day job on the council when the council calls are at 10 PM. Well, it's midnight my time, so probably it's even easier. Yeah. Thank you, Pablo. Marie-Noemi, any feedback from you? Okay. Maybe not at the moment. Ai Chin, any feedback from you?

AI CHIN LU:

Well, maybe I can add something.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah, sure. Yeah, yeah.

AI CHIN LU:

Sorry, sorry. Well, it was nice. I appreciated participating because I was on the first webinar. Well, my idea was more to talk about what ICANN is, what is it for, and what is the contribution of the ccNSO to the whole thing? I think that it's also interesting to have a general review. Well, sure, I think that these webinars are very much appreciated because they can

give a sense of familiarity or “easiness” to the people who are interested to contribute. So, yeah, I think that it should be re-done and I was happy to participate. That’s it. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you very much. Ai Chin also gave some feedback in chat, “I think that it was a great event.” Yeah, I think it was a good idea. Well, next year, just as the council elections would approach, we’ll need to revise it and look what other aspects should be covered during such a webinar.

Speaking about the general webinars about the ccNSO, we’re going to have them next week. Next week, they are going to be a little bit different than—or significantly much more different—than the ones we used to have in the past community webinars for newcomers and those who would like to learn more about ccNSO and would like to get more involved.

So, next week, we’re going to have about ccNSO, what we do, and what’s the impact of the ccNSO, and how people could “change the world,” so to speak, if they join ccNSO and work on behalf of the community. Okay. So, yeah, Joke posted links to those webinars next week.

Okay. That’s good. We can move to the next agenda item, and that’s an update on selecting members for the Independent Review Process Standing Panel. There was a call, probably not last week but two weeks ago, and Pablo joined the call. Pablo, would you like to give a brief overview?

PABLO RODRIGUEZ: Yes, Katrina. Basically, most of the meeting was spent on deciding what is the amount of people that should constitute the group. The number was discussed between seven and 15. There is nothing concrete. Conversations will continue. And moreover, the next topic that was being discussed is what is a set of skills, what is the skillset, the criteria, that should be considered to identify who are those participants, those members of that group? So, in the next meeting, that will be discussed further. Thanks.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. And terms of reference have been refined, and there is a newer version, but I'm afraid I haven't forwarded it to the council. I'll note it down and do that as soon as possible. Okay. Thank you. Any questions? No? Then let's move to the next action item. That is about the CcNSO Council Workshop. Jordan and I had a call and Jordan has already written down some ideas on how to proceed. Jordan, would you like to share some teasers? Not everything, of course, but at least some teasers.

JORDAN CARTER: Not everything but some teasers, okay. Well, we're going to make you work hard in some Zoom breakout rooms, because I know that will entuse everyone to come along. The topic is about how we make our PDPs go faster. We're going to break it into two sub-sections, one of which is a bit more about structure and one of which is a bit more about kinds of conversations.

So, I'll leave that in that kind of mysterious way. There will be a couple of diagrams for you to read in advance and there will be, hopefully, a couple of one-pagers to read in advance. A little heads up that Nick Wenban-Smith and Stephen Deerhake have been volun-told by Katrina and I, or are about to be volun-told by Katrina and I, just to maybe jot together some thoughts about an angle to this which, because I'm being mysterious, I won't tell everyone now. But Nick and Stephen, we'll drop you a little e-mail later. It's not asking you to do very much work.

[KATRINA SATAKI:]

It is.

JORDAN CARTER:

But it should be quite a cool workshop. That's all I've got, Katrina.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you very much. I think that was very good—a very good teaser. Okay. Good. So, get ready. Our next one is about ICANN69, and I think that's really quickly approaching. Well, many people are working hard to make sure that everything runs smoothly on work on different presentations and different sessions.

Alejandra sent her update, just because we thought that we won't have much time and have to move really quickly through this one, just to make sure that you have more time for the closed meeting. But since, unfortunately, Byron could not join us today, the second part of the council call has been canceled, so we can spend more time discussing everything that's hot, and ICANN69 definitely is hot. Alejandra, would you

like to tell us something about the agenda, in addition to what you already shared with councilors?

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO:

Yes. Thank you, Katrina. Well, I just wanted to say that the ccTLD new sessions have already been filled out, and they look super, super interesting. The links have been sent to you, so please do go and check them. Nothing moved from the schedule since last time, so we are having the same sessions, but I do want to make you aware that it is important that everyone registers for the ICANN meeting to be able to get the links to the sessions to the whole ICANN meeting. This is, I'm guessing, to prevent security breaches or Zoom bombings.

So, if you haven't done so, please do so. Again, even though you register and everything, the links will be posted 24 hours prior to this session. So, we won't have them that much in advance but it is, again, to prevent the Zoom bombings. The agenda is still being worked on so, if you go to that link and you see that it's empty, don't be scared. They are working on it, it's just not published yet. I see Stephen has his hand up.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

Thank you, Alejandra. You may not be able to answer this because I did see that you need to register in order to see the schedule and to get the links closer to the meeting. I did that yesterday. I was still not able to get the schedule, and I'm wondering if there is some lag time between registering and having you being enrolled in whatever system they're using now. You may not be able to answer that question. I have not tried again.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: I can.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Oh, you can? Excellent.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: Well, it's because it's not published yet. It will be published on the 28th.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Oh, okay. That works. Thank you.

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: You're welcome.

KATRINA SATAKI: Okay. Thank you very much, Alejandra. Good. Good, good. Topics for a meeting with the board. So, we're asked to provide topics for discussion with the board by the 5th of October. If there are any topics in your mind, please share them now or do it as quickly as possible on the mailing list because, yeah, we will need to share them.

So, is there anything, really, you would like to discuss with the board? Maybe you already know. Apparently not. Yeah. We still have time. We still have time, but not much, because time flies. Thank you. 5th of October, October 5th. In two weeks? Something. Okay.

Next one, topics for our meeting with the GNSO Council. Another thing that we might be ... If you have any topics for discussion with the GNSO Council, that would be really nice. They are almost done with ePDP. I know how much we would like to know about that.

I think we have resolved everything. I think we still do not have a response from GNSO Council about CSC, at least if I remember correctly. Please, Kim, are you okay to correct me if I'm wrong? We have approved but the GNSO Council is still to approve it. They have to approve full slate of the CSC. Or maybe they ... Yes?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

Apologies. I couldn't find a button to raise my hand. The CSC met yesterday and, during that meeting, there was an update that the CcNSO Council has approved the full slate and the GNSO Council is expected to do so by the end of this month, ahead of the 1st October deadline.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Okay, that's good. That's good. Thank you. Thank you very much. Yeah, I think they had a meeting somewhere, 20-something. Yeah. I do not expect any [cups] there. I hope everything will go smoothly. Lunch? No, I'm not so sure about lunch. I think we'll have to do it ourselves. And that is ... Oh, it is about lunchtime. My time, at least. Not for everyone, perhaps. Yes. So, please think about that.

Topic for webinar with the GAC. Apparently, that's the carve-out, and that's ccPDP3 retirement. I don't think we will be able to cover any other

topic. There are no topic suggestions from the GAC so, yes, Giovanni says, “No, no, there are no topics.”

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Yeah, no topics.

KATRINA SATAKI: No topics, yes. So, this is the only topic we have at the moment, and probably it’s too complicated/complex, so we just stick with one topic, make sure that we can cover it in its entirety. Okay. Anything else about ICANN69? Any questions? Okay. One of the suggestions for a topic in the chat about auction proceeds, that’s with GNSO Council. That could be one of the potential topics. Yeah. Another one, another thing, please do not forget to submit your name and address if you want to get a very nice gift from .eu. Thank you very much, [inaudible]. Giovanni, would you like to ...? Teaser, here.

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: I was thinking about a teaser like Jordan just did but, in my case, it’s so complex. The amount of entertainment that will be just squeezed into those 50 minutes of the ccNSO cocktail, you’ll be amazed yourself. We are going to go live from Hamburg—trust me—and there is going to be some magic, there is going to be some dance, and, for those providing the address, the name, and the phone number, there is going to be even a box full of food and non-alcoholic drinks shipped to your address. So, yes. I’ll prepare a teaser, a reminder, and I will pass it on to Kim so she

sends a reminder. But please do register, as Katrina said, if you'd like to receive the box.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes. There are not so many councilors registered, so please do it.

GIOVANNI SEPIA: Not good.

KATRINA SATAKI: No, not good. No. They do not set a good example.

GIOVANNI SEPIA: No. And those who have registered, they may get double boxes. I mean, we have so many boxes.

KATRINA SATAKI: Don't register. Don't register. That's fine. I can go with a double box. Okay. Thank you very much, Giovanni. Yes. Tim is writing information from you and, of course, from ccTLDs. If anyone is listening, any ccTLDs listening-in to the recording, please do it as quickly as possible. Of course, if you're not listening to it in 2021 or 2025 ... So, it has to be done by next week, actually, by 20th September, 2020. Okay. Thank you. If there are no other questions or comments on this one, let's move to agenda item number ten. It's an update from ECA. Stephen, anything?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

Yeah. We are actually waiting for the NomCom to come forward with their selections for board seat seven, which is currently held by Avri, and board seat eight, which is currently held by Sarah. I would like to note that the NomCom is in violation of section 7.8(c) of the bylaws in that they had to complete this process two months before the Hamburg meeting.

We're now under the two-month window. I don't know what ICANN Legal is going to do about that. It's beyond my pay scale. We expect to hear from them shortly, I think in the next week, actually. But that's the only thing on the ECA's agenda.

The next thing up after we deal with these two board seats—which may result in the reappointment of one or both of the current board members; we just don't know what NomCom's up to. I will weigh in on that. PTI budget is, I think, the next thing up on our horizon, and that won't be until well after Hamburg. So, things are pretty quiet with the ECA. I entertain any questions. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you very much. Yeah. As NomCom explained in their blog post in May and recently, they are behind their normal schedule because of the fact that they cannot interview anyone face-to-face. They had to do it virtually, and it's really complicated things. Yeah. Unfortunately, that's the situation around COVID and everything that we have to face. Stephen, is this your hand up?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Yeah. I do want to express my sympathy for the task that NomCom has in front of them, given that you're trying to fill two very important positions without actually seeing the candidates and their body language, etc., etc. I mean, I can't imagine how they're handling that, but I wish them well and I hope they get the process done soon. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, thank you. Well, we all have to adapt, and for some it's more difficult than for others. Okay. Thank you, Stephen. Please lower your hand. CSC. Alejandra, anything from you?

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: Well, besides that the GNSO will complete their confirmation of the current slate of members, what I can tell you is that the performance of the PTI has been 100% for August 2020, so excellent. They met all their 64 currently defined thresholds, and so we are doing great.

KATRINA SATAKI: That's good. Glad to hear that. Thank you, Alejandra. Any questions for Stephen or Alejandra? No questions? No? Okay. Thank you. Then we move to the next one: updates. Anyone would like to? Please mute if you're not talking. Please mute. Yeah. Thank you. So, anyone would like to give an update? If not, then something from me.

Yesterday, there was a call, SO/AC leadership call, with CEO and chairman of the board where we started discussing, or they presented, a new vision regarding planning, or talk to make sure that community is more involved in the planning process and everything that's related to that, including

budget and everything. So, there might be some new document, so we're waiting for that.

Anything else? Any other updates from Pablo, Alejandra, or any other councilor, [inaudible]? I'm not sure if anyone is on the call. If anyone would like to share anything, please raise your hand. If not, okay, we can move forward. Update from liaison, so written update.

Then, we have next council meeting, going to be so-called face-to-face meeting during ICANN. Not going to be literally face-to-face, but there will be a meeting. Before that, definitely get ready for CcNSO Council workshop.

4:30 UTC, 21st October next month. So, we're going to have our council-council meeting. With that, we move swiftly to any other business. Anyone would like to raise anything? No? Well, if there is nothing else to say then, yeah, thank you very much for joining the call.

Get ready for the ccNSO cocktail and workshop. Don't forget to send your details. Also encourage ccTLDs, everyone you know, to also apply and participate. Most importantly, participate in the ccNSO cocktail. I don't know.

Margarita, did you ...? Okay, maybe you wrote only to Kim and me. Okay. We will forward your e-mail to Giovanni. Okay. Giovanni, that's another teaser. Wait for an e-mail. We'll forward it to you. Okay. If there is no "any other business," in that case, thanks a lot and talk to you ... Well, not in a month, the council call, but much sooner.

Don't forget, next week we're going to have webinars. You can join and share your experience, your views, your insights with those on the community who also will join those webinars. So, see you online/offline, and looking forward to interacting with you soon. Okay. Bye. Thanks a lot.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]