

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO outreach and engagement FY22 plan call on Tuesday the 3rd of August 2021 at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Bram Fudzulani, Dave Kissoondoyal, Fatimata Seye Sylla, and Sarah Kiden.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Yaovi Atohoun, Devan Reed and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

We have French interpretation on today's call. Our French interpreters are Claire and Isabelle.

We have received apologies from Abdulkarim Ayopo Oloyede and Aziz Hilali.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name when taking the floor for transcription purposes and to please speak slowly to allow for accurate interpretation. Thank you all very much, and we this, I turn the call over to you, Bram.

BRAM FUDZULANI: Thank you so much. Yes, so on behalf of Seun who I believe will join us in the middle of the call, I'd like to welcome you all to the AFRALO outreach and engagement call. Basically, I think we're catching up from our last conversation which we had looking at our FY22 plan.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

I pushed an email—must have been yesterday, I don't know if all of you managed to get it, but I think I had attached the actual supposedly final draft of the plan. Staff, maybe if you can just project it on the screen.

Okay. Seun, welcome. We're just getting started, and if you can hear us, please, you can come in and we've just started with introductions and then I was just doing the remarks. So you can get started.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thanks a lot, Bram, and sorry for coming late. [inaudible] by now, but I'm still on the road, unfortunately. I'm audio only, but I think Bram has done a good job with the draft [inaudible] as well.

I think one of the major things that we probably need to talk about is whether what we have written there is sufficient [inaudible]

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Seun, so sorry to interrupt, but we do not have a good connection and the interpreters—

SEUN OJEDEJI:

[inaudible]. What I was just saying is that [inaudible] we need to [inaudible] whether [inaudible] whether it is too low. Let's agree on that. [inaudible]. the other question is whether we want to have a brief call for comments from our membership. It can just be for one week at the most, and it would be good for staff to confirm if we can still accommodate that. But if we feel that maybe there's no need for that,

---

then we can finalize and proceed. But maybe we can do a call for comments just [inaudible]. Over to you, Bram. Thanks.

BRAM FUDZULANI: Thank you so much, Seun.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Bram, we had a very difficult time understanding. The connection wasn't good. The interpreters were not able to interpret. I don't know if, Bram, could you kindly summarize the main points made by Seun? I heard that he would like to have this document open for community for AFRALO comments. And I see Sarah is [sending to] members. So we got that. I don't know, Bram, if you want to summarize quickly the main points made by Seun. [inaudible] take over the chairing of the call while we try to troubleshoot sound with Seun.

BRAM FUDZULANI: Okay. Yes. Thank you. What Seun was trying to say is, remember, we had a draft document on Google document in which I think most of us here actually contributed to development of that document. What we have done is to take those points and make them into one final document but introduce a certain segment of putting the key indicators that would allow us to keep track of our activities that we have planned and outlined.

Now we have also put key activities that will allow us to achieve those key indicators and then what are the expected results of each and every indicator that we've put. So that's what I think Seun was trying to put.

---

And then there, the issue was he is trying to put across a question to say, do we take this document to our members for comment? If the agreement is yes and he's sort of I think giving it a timeline of one week, that we can circulate the document for our members asking for their comment, input for a period of one week, after which we can then summarize and incorporate the new comments that will have come from the community members.

But essentially, I think what you're looking at, maybe we can also get feedback from the members of the panel that are here, the ones that we circulated the document to, just to get your input, your suggestions. I know Yaovi is here with us and other members from the AFRALO leadership. So maybe we can start with ourselves giving comments. And I think most of us are in agreement that we should send the document to our members. So I think that'll be an action point that needs to be taken from this meeting.

Sarah, go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Bram, and thank you, everyone [inaudible]. Thank you for putting together this document. I agree with Seun that it's very good. I have just one question. It's something that has come up and I remember Yaovi talked about it maybe a couple of meetings ago about the tracking. So currently, as this strategy is, there's no place where we can add regular updates. Are we going to have a separate document where if something happens, then we check it off and we have it visible to everyone? Because it's something we have discussed. And it's good

---

[inaudible] send it out to other members that they can also see that [is that] option for us to keep track, and we can also keep track at the same time. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you, Sarah. I think what we can do is I've seen in other RALOs what they have done is they have very good metrics. Remember, when we started the webinar series as AFRALO, I think on Skype, I had raised an issue of how do we keep track of the numbers that are coming to our webinars.

I think at that point, the discussion ended up to say no, we shouldn't force members to register because that was one way of keeping track, but what other RALOs have done is they've been able to map out and say through the webinars, this is the graph that shows the member participation month in, month out. So maybe that is something we can agree going forward to keep track.

Now, for example, we have said we want to increase the membership of AFRALO by 5%. If we adopt that, then maybe we can come up with another separate document or it could be an Excel document that currently maps out our membership numbers. And then every time we're adding membership, then we can have a column that we can be inputting, and then just to keep track of whether our indicators are improving or not improving and where we're not getting it right.

So maybe I'd suggest a separate tracker that can help us to keep track of those milestones. Yaovi, go ahead.

---

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

Thank you very much, Bram. I am in agreement with the points raised, first by Sarah. And just my comment on that, maybe this one will not be necessary for the whole community. And then also, you mentioned when we were talking about documenting the participation, another tracker. So I'm also fine with that. And just remind me something that is also related to the global participation of the ALSes in meetings. I don't know if you can also have a graph somewhere showing how people are participating in monthly calls. So this one can be also something important. Like we realize that people are not really participating when there's not a big event.

[I raised that one time,] that people are representing formally the ALSes. It would be good, when they're not available, to have at least another person from the ALS to be in the meeting. So that is, I think, something AFRALO is trying to solve. So having something, even if it's internal, to track, like a graph, the various participation, will help.

And to come back to the document, our team didn't come out with a final comment, but as we have this one document, my suggestion will be, for us and even from the community, I'm seeing—I'm not sure if the community will really come back in [a week] while we're talking about fiscal year 22 which started since the end of June.

So my suggestion, maybe you give two weeks, but one week will be maybe too short for me. So if possible, you give two weeks [inaudible] after the two weeks, or you give the week and you can extend. So this is the comment. We need to make some comments on the document and

---

we will come back to you, but so far we didn't have the final. As we have this one now, I think the GSE team will make a comment on the two documents if necessary in two weeks' time.

Okay, I agree. Fatimata mentioned one week and extend for one more week. I think it is the best approach, because if you give two weeks, people say they have time. So I'm fine with this strategy. Thank you so much.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you so much, Yaovi, and thank you, Fatimata, for this suggestion. So it looks like we are all in agreement to put out a call for comments to our community members and that call be made for one week with the possibility of extending just to [inaudible] until one week has elapsed.

So I think going back to the document, from what I've gathered, is definitely the tracker that we need to maybe during our monthly—so the suggestion for me would be during our monthly calls, we could have a report on how we performed during the previous month's call in terms of the numbers of participants, and nicely mapped out in terms of ALSes, where they are located so that maybe that also can help us to have a broader picture of where we need to focus our outreach and engagement effort in terms of getting members from the region.

I see Heidi is saying that perhaps a report could not—do you want to speak to that maybe in more detail, Heidi?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Thank you for that. It's an excellent report, by the way. Great plan. I'm just wondering, what I didn't really notice was a lot of explicit notice or mention of the GSE and AFRALO collaboration. So perhaps there could be more of that given that there's a lot of activity, coordination on a lot of these activities in the region that you're working on together, perhaps that can just be noted on that as well. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI: So that needs to come out very strong in the document.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Well, a bit more. I didn't see mention of it at all, so if that could maybe just come out a little bit more, that would be good. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI: Thank you so much, Heidi. I think that's very important. It needs to reflect, because even some of the activities that we have put, the fact that we are focusing on the ICANN plan for the region definitely, the GSE team needs to be pointed out in the report. I agree with you.

Welcome, Hadia. I know you just joined, but we're just looking at circulated plan, and maybe just to get comments. And the other thing that we've also agreed as a takeaway is that we're going to circulate the plan, of course incorporating views from Heidi, circulate it to the members, given them one week for comments and then possibly extend that with a week before we come up with a final document. And then we'll follow that up with the trackers that allow us to keep track of our key indicators on how we're performing on each of the key areas that

---

we've outlined. So maybe if you did go through the document or you have comments, you can always come on the mic, Hadia.

Okay, so maybe as a way forward, we can take away these notes and maybe the next steps for the sake of record is that—so staff, I will circulate a new updated version just to incorporate the comments that Heidi I think raised. They're very—

SEUN OJEDEJI: Can you hear me?

BRAM FUDZULANI: Yes, Seun, please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sorry. I just want to [inaudible] that we should not [inaudible] the reporting that you mentioned. So maybe [inaudible] plan, we can have a [section] for reporting [needs] and then you can [note that on the] monthly calls, you can [note that of] spreadsheet tracking. You can [inaudible] some of these updates [inaudible] which will be reporting our progress.

The other thing that I wanted to flag which I think Heidi was saying with regards to the relationship with the GSE, so maybe we could [inaudible] having regional events, maybe if there's already clarity on that at the level of GSE in Africa, then maybe [we can have some] more specifics. The aspect of the universal acceptance which Yaovi contributed to in the last meeting where we saw that we should be more action-oriented this

---

time around [inaudible] captured in the plan. But maybe we can be more explicit when it comes to implementation aspect. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you so much, Seun. I was just speaking to the next steps, so I will definitely incorporate those suggestions and then before we push it on to our community members. And then I don't know, can we send it out maybe on—do we target Friday maybe so that we clean it up tomorrow and then just make sure that we're aligned with Yaovi and the leadership team before we push it to our members?

Yes, Sarah, go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN:

Hi Bram. I have one more comment that I forgot to mention. I'm really indifferent to it, but something that stood out. I noticed that you put Seun's name, but I know that in your role, you are the outreach and engagement coordinator. So I would have thought that it would also be nice to have you appearing somewhere so that people can know that they can either go to the chair or the representative. I don't have a preference, but it's just something that stood out to me. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you, Sarah. Heidi, you have your hand up.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you very much. A couple of points here. So what I understand is that you're going to clean this up, send it out to the community and then I believe Seun said that you were going to raise it on the next monthly call. But I'm also wondering whether you're planning on having regular updates to the AFRALO region on where you are on the implementation of this.

So I also know that the Subcommittee on Outreach and Engagement, Bram will be updating everyone there, but I think it's important that the region is also aware of it. That's my first point. And then the second one is within the plan, I see that you are going to go ahead with the mentoring program, which hi think is an excellent idea, and just wondering what next steps on that is. Do you wish to think about the operation of that, the planning of that? And then we can get back to staff on that again. But just initial thoughts that you might have on how you might go about implementing that. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Yes. Thank you so much, Heidi. I had actually earlier suggested that it's very important that we actually update the regional members, especially through our monthly calls. So my proposal was that on our monthly calls, we would be having a report or an update from the outreach and engagement in terms of the numbers, how we performed in the previous month, whether we did a webinar, so that we are able to keep track of the numbers that we spoke about.

In terms of the mentorship program, definitely I think Seun had pointed out that leadership would at some point sit down and come up with a

---

program and then pitch it to the community members before rolling it out. But it's something that had been mentioned, that we could capture it with the document itself and then leadership would sit down on the operationalization of the plan itself. So I think that is something that we can note down as a remaining task for the leadership, to sit down and devise a plan on the mentorship program.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Bram, if I may just very quickly, I think that's excellent. As I mentioned on the last call, APRALO is already starting to implement that. So perhaps you can reach out to them, and/or we could also just have that as an item on the next cross-regional secretariat call, leadership call which will likely be the next month or so. So you could discuss your plans with the other groups as well, the other RALOs. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you so much. I think that's a good suggestion. Definitely, we should be able to reach out to our colleagues and then see obviously how they're implementing it. It would simplify the invention of the actual wheel.

I think what we are trying to run away from—the initial draft had mentioned that we're going to use ATLAS III ambassadors and then come up with the whole mentorship program. So the change was maybe we could use our ALAC members and join them all, connect them with the potential beneficiaries within the community.

---

So I think that's a good point, to reach out to other RALOs, especially APRALO that are already rolling out the program. Seun, I think I have summarized the next steps in terms of what is going to happen, but I had asked from the participants whether we can target Friday as a date to send out the document to committee members or suggest any date that we should push out. I see Silvia, you have your hand up. Please go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Bram, thank you very much. Just reviewing the document, I was wondering if under measuring progress, you would like to already identify the contributors or who will be in charge of leading the activities or at least being in charge of reporting on the activities. Perhaps it will be a useful idea to have a key person in charge, a contributor for each indicator. That could be the focal point to track the progress. I wonder if maybe the ATLAS III participants, ambassadors could be the leads or the key contributors as they are already leaders and also members of the AFRALO leadership team. So that could be a column added next to the outcome, you could add perhaps the lead or the key contributor to each key indicator. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

Thank you so much, Silvia. I think we're supposed to schedule a call with the previous key [inaudible] for the FY21 just to appreciate the challenges and—because we would like to maintain the same model and then from there, be able to map out and assign particular leads in terms of the key indicators that have been ... So I don't know, maybe we can

---

still mention it. Or is it something that we can put in the track itself to say, indicator number one, this is the focal point or this is the lead, and then they're going to be responsible for updating the tracker? I don't know what is the best model to go about it. Seun, I see you're finally in the meeting room. Please go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes. Thank you. I think that is a good suggestion. However, from the past experience, where we have just tried to put in leads, I don't think it has been as effective. And I don't really think that we need to limit it to the ambassadors, because I think at this point in time, we just need to give people who are willing to lead to take it up. So what I would suggest is that since we do not know those who want to take up—unless there are people on this call who want to volunteer to take up any of those items, any of those indicators, if we can [inaudible] we can put those volunteers' name on it. Otherwise, I would suggest that when we do the call for comments, we can also in the announcement that we are making ask people to express, indicate whether they'd like to volunteer to be the lead for each of the indicators. I think having people raise their hand instead of putting their name, maybe you can try that now, because we have tried the one of putting people's name but it did not really work well the last time. So maybe asking people to volunteer this time around would help. But I think it is a very good one.

We can notice in our comments—maybe in the strategy comment that [inaudible] we intend to assign the key indicators to leads. And if anybody wants to volunteer, it would be good. So I think Bram, we can capture that in the plan itself. Maybe a footnote or something

---

somewhere around the indicators page where we just ask people who'd like to be lead for each to indicate. So maybe that will help also as well. But of course, if after one week we don't see anybody indicating, we can just ask members of our leadership team to help out. But of course, let's see how asking for a volunteer goes first so that we know we have people who are willingly expressing interest. Thank you.

BRAM FUDZULANI:

I think I agree with you, Seun. Thank you for those remarks. I think it's very good that we ask people who are willing to do the job. So I entirely agree with you, and we'll put a note, I think somewhere down on the tracking or the progress just to have the names of the volunteers appear in those areas.

So I think that is an addition to the key takeaway points. I still think we can send out, in view of the comments that have been made, we can put a call or an e-mail to the community members by Friday, because then we have tomorrow and [inaudible] we just incorporate some of the mentioned changes, which are minor ones, and then Friday, we should be able to have the document sent out to community members.

Okay, Seun, I think I will leave you to give us if there is Any Other Business or closing remarks.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Bram, and thanks for chairing this meeting. Once again, apologies for not actively participating on this call. One of the drawbacks that I see on this particular strategic plan is that we're running late. I

---

note that Yaovi also hinted on that in terms of committee members may actually wonder why we're asking for comment for something that is already in the FY22. So I think that this also calls for us to start planning early for the next FY23. So maybe we need to also flag that on our radar so that maybe by January next year or February, we're already looking to start planning for FY23 so that will give more time for comments from the community.

I would suggest that I wonder, in terms of sending the call on Friday, who is going to send it? Is that going to be staff, or is that going to be Bram, or is it going to be myself? We need to know who we are assigning this to. Bram, is it you?

BRAM FUDZULANI: Come again, Seun?

SEUN OJEDEJI: The call that we'll be sending on Friday to the community. Is it going to be sent by staff, or is it going to be sent by you?

BRAM FUDZULANI: I will send it to staff and then staff will circulate it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. So from me, I'd like to just thank [inaudible] for attending this call. Thanks to the interpreters as well, and once again, my apologies for coming in late. And of course, sorry for the bad audio initially. And I

---

hope that we'll be able to have a much more reporting-based and trackable FY22 outreach and engagement this time around to better inform our FY23 plan.

Once again, thanks a lot, and from me, it's bye for now.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Bye everyone. Thank you for joining the call. This meeting is now adjourned.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah. Thanks. I just saw Sarah's comment. Bram, please try to take note of that. We also discussed this about the fact that we both worked on the draft. So please, I noticed that the draft still has just the AFRALO chair on it. Please be sure to put—I'm even fine with you putting outreach and engagement, because [inaudible] on this. So feel free to put outreach and engagement co-chair and then put your name on it so that we can have someone to reach out to when it comes to—especially when it comes to reporting, you really want to be providing it anyway. So please, [inaudible]. Thanks. Bye.

BRAM FUDZULANI: Thank you, Seun.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you, Seun.

---

**[END OF TRANSCRIPT]**