
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO operating principles working group call on Monday the 26th of July 2021 at 16:00 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel, we have Seun Ojedeji, Sarah Kiden, Jules Nizeyimana, Daniel Nanghaka, Confidence Mawusi, Ben Kyemba, and we have Aziz Hilali as well as Abdeldjalil on French.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Our French interpreters for today are Jacques and Camila.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channel.

Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thanks, Claudia. Hello everyone. Welcome again to a call on AFRALO operating principles. Agenda is as presented in front of us in the screen, and this is just to ask for any suggestion for modification. The floor is open.

Seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, I would take it as the agenda is adopted as presented. So we move on to item three which is a recap on action item. [I think this will be] Silvia. You have the floor.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Thank you very much. So we have the action items of the last call. It's the working group members to continue reviewing the Google doc proposing edits, and Claudia Ruiz to set up today's call. So I think that's all. Thank you, and over to you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Silvia. That takes us to the next agenda item, which is individual members application process. Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi everyone. Seun, I don't know, are we still going to go back to the other voting rights, or it's just application process?

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think it's the application form that we're looking at right now.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. No problem.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think I see on the agenda that there's the voting rights on item six.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Thank you. If staff can just scroll—

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Hello.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi. I think this is Isaac.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Is this Isaac? Hello?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi everyone. I believe it is Abdeldjalil rejoining us.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Hello.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Abdel, yes, we hear you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Can you hear me?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, we do.

ISAAC MAPOSA: This is Isaac Maposa. [I just called over Skype.]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you so much, Isaac. Welcome to the call. We have just started, and Seun is chairing this call while the connection problems were solved. So they're about to start reviewing the document.

ISAAC MAPOSA: It's okay. Thank you. I was facing challenges getting into the Zoom room so I called over Skype—over Adigo through Skype. Thanks.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you so much. Okay, so Sarah is now walking us through the application form. I think that's at the bottom of the page, Claudia, if I recall well.

SARAH KIDEN: Yes, starting from page five.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so the working group will start reviewing the application form and agreeing on any edits that may be needed. Thank you. Over to you, Sarah.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you. If I may just make a few comments about this form. Right now, the way the application form is, it's a PDF form that is sent or can be downloaded by someone if they want to apply to become an

individual member. So they download it, they fill it in and then they send it to staff, and then staff will do due diligence and confirm a few things which we're going to go through shortly, and then basically that's it, it's sent over to AFRALO leadership for review.

And the form is very short, it's just about two pages and that's how it looks. So I don't know if anyone has any comments about the question. I just have one comment before we get comments from other people, that way before, a long time ago before Mohamed left his position as chair, he had recommended that we try to digitize this form so that you have the PDF version but you also have an online form that people can fill in. So this working group can decide what you think is good for us.

Then my only other comment is for us to find out, because it's one of the things that was done in the ALS mobilization as well as the unaffiliated individual membership work party to add somewhere into the form finding out how the people found out about AFRALO or ICANN and yeah, basically, how did you find out about us? Is it from social media, a friend, were you recommended, did you find out from an ICANN meeting?

That's the only suggestion so I'm going to add it somewhere [inaudible] at the bottom. But we welcome any questions or comments if anyone has any. And I see Daniel has his hand up. Daniel, you have the floor.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much. I like the simplicity of the form, but then you highlighted the fact that we need to make at least a digital or online form. I think that will be good.

And then also, if possible, into the online form, if you can attach a QR code reader on some of our promo materials or some on the website where someone can scan the QR code, I think that would work perfectly fine. So I like this form. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Daniel. That has been noted. Seun, you have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. I guess Isaac is around now so I'm just raising my hand to make a comment. I think the form as it seems is fine. I think we may put an action item to staff to confirm if they can make this online. I don't think we need to write a rule for that. I think it's operational unless we think it's necessary for us to write it as a rule that it be online. Otherwise, I think it's an operational thing that we can add to staff to follow up on. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun. So staff, kindly note that as an action item to the working group co-chairs and me and Hadia, because we are leading the process on the application form. So I think there are a few things. We might have to rewrite some of the things based on our rules. As highlighted, the end of page five, beginning of page six. Because right now, I think the first one, for them to confirm that it no longer holds water. So the first one, for those who are on the phone bridge, is "I'm not a member of a certified At-Large Structure," and I think we have already established that it does not matter if someone is a member of

an At-Large Structure or not, they can apply as an individual member. I just wanted to check with Seun and others, Abdeldjalil and Isaac, that this is what we agreed. Seun, you have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I'm trying to quickly look at the rules on 5.7, bullet point three, most not be representative or leader, so that is what we agreed. So I think that first question needs to be reworded to "I'm not a representative or a leader of an ALS." So that would capture what is in the rules [inaudible].

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. I've changed that.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I have a follow-up, if I may.

SARAH KIDEN: Yes, please go for it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, for item two, I think it should be either we are subscribed or are willing to be subscribed to the AFRALO mailing list.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I think that is a very valid point because many times, we see members joining and they even do not understand how they can participate in local Internet. I don't know why some of them even join if they don't understand the basics. So this is like a verification question that at least they are active and they understand the local Internet discussions or communities and so forth.

So to tap the potential, I think we should leave this question there. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Daniel, for the comment. Seun, you have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. Once again, this is why I was suggesting that we should look at criteria in 5.7. 5.7 does not have that line. So I think that it will be important that we stick to what is in the criteria for 5.7. We've had a long discussion about this in the past and we agreed not to put it. So it's not covered in 5.7 unless I missed something. I think it will be good for us to adjust it to what is covered under the criteria. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun. I have a question for you. Do you think that it's worth adding it to the criteria, or we don't really care if people are active locally or not?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Personally, I'm neither here nor there, I just remember that we have discussed it at length on this call in the past, and we agreed not to put it. So if we want to put it, we have to go back and look at 5.7 again and then edit it. But we had closed that, 5.7, but nothing stops us from reopening it if we have any strong opinion about it. But I would really suggest that since we have discussed this at length and we agreed not to put it under the criteria, that we just delete that. But of course, I'm indifferent about either of them, but I think there was still a significant discussion that happened about this when we're talking about 5.7 that made us actually remove it. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Seun. I don't know how other people feel about this item. If members don't think it's necessary, we can get rid of it, though I sort of feel that we need to have something that encourages people to be active locally. So I don't know how else you can rephrase it, but I would personally think that if we can even just add a small line into the criteria just to encourage people to continue being active locally or nationally. But let me hear what other people have to say. Daniel, you have the floor.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: I have a feeling that we should not remove this, because if we're going to be able to attract potential Internet users who are engaged in local Internet development or local Internet sensible discussions, that helps with the growth of the knowledge base of the Internet, then I don't

think that we should remove this question. This is the very important question as far as the recruitment process is concerned.

We are looking at obtaining quality members who can effectively participate and be lured to the ICANN At-Large policy development processes, which involves outreach and capacity building of the community members. So that's my view. I think we should leave it there, or maybe do a slight modification [inaudible].

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Daniel. Does anyone else have any comments? So maybe what Hadia and I can do is we can try to just clean this up and then we will share it with you in the next call. But before I hand over, there's a question that I know some people have asked before when they were applying for individual membership—and sorry to put you on the spot, but Ben, I think you once made a comment about this question, how do you represent end users' interests?

So I think I've received a few questions about that. There are people who feel that it's not very clear. So, do members think that we should rephrase it? If you go back up, staff, on page five, at the beginning where you have name, country of residence, occupation, e-mail address, how do you represent end user interests? Ben, I'm putting you on the spot, but other people can comment if you have any comments. Seun, you have the floor.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you. This is a statement of interest, right? So I think it may be fine to still ... If you look at bullet point three of the 5.7, it says something about statements of interest. So it's okay in our opinion to kind of ask this kind of question to actually understand—it's not a disqualification criteria, just good to know what is our level. And also, that brings me back to the one that Daniel was suggesting earlier. It's also just to know the state of the person, because you really can't weigh what is a good local participation and what is a bad local participation. It varies across countries, depends on how active the Internet community is in that region. So you can't weigh it, but maybe just to have an idea of how this person is doing, not a disqualifying factor. Because let's not forget, end users who are interested are also encouraged—not that they must be active already. They can also generate their activeness through their participation from AFRALO.

So if we just want to use that to get those kind of feedback, but not use it to disqualify, to determine whether they qualify or not, then I think we can put both the previous one that Daniel suggested and this one as well. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Seun.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Sarah, can I [inaudible]?

SARAH KIDEN:

Yes, please.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Just to elaborate to Seun and the members on the call that this is not a qualifying or disqualifying question. This is a question that we can use to weigh how much capacity building we have to conduct such that the members get knowledge on how they can effectively engage. It is easier for members who already are participating in their local communities to be lured into the policy development process of ICANN At-Large. But if we do not have this as a metric, then it becomes very challenging to design programs that can help build capacity for the respective individuals within Africa region. Thank you.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Daniel, and thank you, Seun. I would like to read some comments made by Bukola that the question is good because it helps us know the applicant's understanding of their role as it affects end users. So it's not a qualifying factor but it just helps us to know who we are bringing in. And I would like to suggest, if we can just reword this question to say something like, are you currently involved in representing end user interests? If yes, how? Or something like that, to make it more clear, because in previous applications, I know some of the applicants have said the question was not very clear. So if members agree, we will edit the question to capture that. Yes, please, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. I fully agree with you and I just wanted to share with you the experience of APRALO, the Asia Pacific region. How they dealt with this issue is they are on the application form—and I will put the PDF link

here on the chat in one second. It says a statements of interest, “I acknowledge that I will complete the SOI upon acceptance” and they have the link to the SOI form. And then below, it says “Current or prior experience in representing the interests of Internet end users. If applicable, please include a reference to any social media blogs, webpages you may have run or potential interests in areas within APRALO, At-Large or ICANN.” And there are a list of areas. So it’s more like a current or prior experience in representing, or you can put it also in the future, you can even edit this one and say something like, “How are you planning to engage or represent or collaborate with our organization?” Something along those lines.

So I just wanted to share this experience of APRALO that might be useful for you. And the link is there on the chat for everyone to check. Thank you, Sarah.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Silvia, and thank you for sharing the case study from APRALO. So I'll work with Hadia to see how we can just refine the form. But from my side, I think the form is good to go as it is. Unless there are any other questions or comments, I'd like to hand over back to the chair who is either Isaac or Seun, one of you. Thank you so much, everyone.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Sarah, and thank you, Seun, for chairing whilst I was having challenges. I think now we can move to our next agenda item. I'm sure these have been ironed out and [Sarah] will spruce up the application

form and also solicit for more comments on the mailing list and also on the document itself.

So we move on to our next item, which is the participation, termination and withdrawal of individual membership. Is Barrack on the call?

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hi Isaac. Yes, Barrack is on the call. One moment.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Okay. Before we discuss what's on the—I'm sure Barrack had an issue which he had raised before. I think of course it was overtaken by events due to the timer we took covering the issue of individual members' voting rights. There was an issue here raised before, and I'm sure you were tasked to look at it further and also cover it on the call. So I give Barrack the floor to go on. Barrack, over to you.

BARRACK OTIENO:

Thank you, chair. I think the concerns I had were answered by our guest speaker who was on the last call. His presentation left me satisfied, especially on the issue that I had raised.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Okay. Thank you, Barrack. I'm glad that was covered. So now we can move on to our document, issues under review. We are looking at the issue under the section "participation and termination of individual membership." Then we also cover withdrawal of membership.

As you can see, we also borrowed this from the mobilization work party document which also covered those aspects, but I'm sure we can customize according to our region as AFRALO. So I will give the floor to members where they can point out issues which have to be addressed on that document. Staff can share the document on screen. That part where we are covering participation and termination of individual membership, then withdrawal of membership.

SILVIA VIVANCO: The Google doc, Claudia, please. It's up to termination. What page, Isaac? Withdrawal. There.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Yeah, there we are. So I see there was a comment by Barrack. Was this addressed also, Barrack?

BARRACK OTIENO: Thank you. I'm just scrolling through. I think, chair, in the last presentation, I was satisfied. I believe it was EURALO. I was satisfied with their approach of resolving conflict. This proposal not having had a background of [inaudible] especially within a RALO framework. So I made this proposal, although it is a bit more bureaucratic, and I'm not sure if it is the right fit for a volunteer organization like ours. It can easily be abused.

So I think we need a more collegiate process, and I would default to some of the ideas that were presented [inaudible] in the last meeting if there is a better alternative. I've put this forth, but I know that it's a bit

more bureaucratic and requires more commitment from both members and the RALOs themselves.

ISAAC MAPOSA: So we can mark that comment as resolved, right? Thank you. Is there anyone seeing an issue on the document, on the issues that we raised under participation and termination of individual memberships from point 5.8 to 5.11? I don't see any hand raised, so I take it as we are satisfied with that section.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Isaac. Are you planning to include on that section the voting, or is that participation and termination—would voting be included in section 5, or is that for another chapter?

ISAAC MAPOSA: I think it would be okay to integrate them so that our document would say voting, participation and termination. [Is it then withdrawal on this section?]

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, because I think participation includes voting, right? But this is just a question for all of you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Yeah. That's a good point. I will take that. So when we edit, we just integrate the participation, termination and also the voting rights. We can do that as we edit the document. Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, Isaac. So I wanted to ask about the numbering—which is strange, maybe it would come later—why is it like 5.7, 5.8? Was this part of a larger document? And if yes, then it would be good for us to know the context in which this number appears so that we are in line with the rest of the document [inaudible]. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Sarah. That's a good point. Yes, this is an extract from the larger document. So if you look at the larger document which was reviewed some years back, which we are working on the specific section on individual membership. So this is an extract for individual membership which are starting from 5.7. So I'm sure we have to work on the numbering later when our document is perfect so that it would tally with the original document. On this document, we are specifically working on the individual membership part. So that's the part we extracted to work on. Thank you, Sarah.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: I don't see any hands raised. Are we satisfied with the part of participation and termination? If we are, then we can move on to the withdrawal of membership. Is there any issue on that section? I think everything is okay on this part. So we will just post up the document and integrate the voting rights.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sorry, my hand is up.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay, Seun, over to you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. The first line of the withdrawal of membership, where it says by decision of AFRALO, do we mean decision of AFRALO leadership? Is that what we mean? I guess it's a question to both Isaac and Barrack.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Yeah, we are referring to the leadership. They can request an individual to withdraw. Okay, [I'm sure you're answered, Seun, so we—]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, that is answered, thanks, but I wanted to also flag that ... Yes, that's fine by me for now. Thanks.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Seun. I don't see any hand raised. So I think we can move on to our next agenda item. I don't see any issue, so we'll work on sprucing up the document and those sections.

Next agenda item, I give the floor to Seun and Hadia to give an update on the voting rights. Seun, over to you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you. We had the pleasure of having a guest with us last meeting, Roberto, and he shared with us how things are done in the EURALO when it comes to individual members. So we were able to clear up a lot of questions and plus a couple of clarifications. [All that's pending] for us with regards to voting was the representative. So we concluded that there was going to be a representative of the individual member that would cast the votes in the larger ALS voting. They will cast the vote on behalf of the individual members.

So I added some text to option one. Unfortunately, I just did that today so you may not have had the opportunity to look at it. Can we see the Google doc, please? So I added some text to option one to cover for ... Suggested some text [inaudible] cover for the fact that individual members would select their representative at every election cycle. [inaudible] once there's a call for election from AFRALO for all the other positions—staff, can you display the Google doc, please? I'm still seeing the Wiki. Is it on my side?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Claudia, the Google doc please, under the title “voting rights, participation and decision making.”

SEUN OJEDEJI: So that’s option one. So that is the main [decision,] is to allow for every—once staff announce a call for election for other offices like AFRALO, leadership or ALAC member from the region, then they’ve also initiated the process for the individual members to select their representative, which includes a call for nomination among these regional members as well. And they [will select—that representative] will continue to operate until the next election call. So it’s basically going to be one year. So whoever is the representative will now be the one that will be casting the vote based on the outcome of the internal vote.

So that is what I've tried to word in this option one. I'm sure I probably did not word it effectively, and it may be good for people to critique it, reword it in a way that makes sense. But I think the principle of how the representative is determined, it will be good to know if you're fine with that principle of how they select their representative. If we are not fine with it, then let’s suggest what other way we think that they should select their representative. And of course, if there's any other comment, I'm open to hear. Thank you. Over to you, Isaac.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Seun. I see Sarah’s hand is up.

SARAH KIDEN:

Thank you, Isaac, and thank you, Seun. I have a question for Seun on the selection. So the first comment I have is if you make the selection happen at the same time with the election period, won't it affect the selection? Because I know the voting is normally open for maybe one or two weeks. So if you're opening for maybe AFRALO chair and AFRALO, I don't know, secretariat and ALAC members and at the same time, you're opening for the person who is being voted, who is voting? Is it the person from the previous year? I think that part is not yet very clear [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thank you. So this is a voting for the individual members. So when staff is ... During this cycle, period, is when staff normally open the nomination for AFRALO leadership, for ALAC representative and so on, they will also make a call for nomination amongst the individual members for their representative. So all the nomination process will go side by side, just that one is going to be within the individual members alone when they select their nomination, when it's time for voting as well, they would also cast the votes.

So maybe what can happen is that staff will probably have to look at the timeline so that the nomination and the selection of the representative happens either after we initially agree on [inaudible] whether it is going to be either after or before. If it is after, then it means that it's the new person that's been selected that's going to be casting the vote. But if it is before, it means that it is the new one.

I would suggest that the previous representative be the one to cast the vote. That's just my—that is the current, because during the election, during the call, the current representative still remains the representative until after the election is concluded for the individual members. So I will suggest that that current representative be the one to cast the vote for the new—as it applies to election of the ALSes, but there could also be some challenges with regards to that. What if the person refused to [inaudible]? Especially if he's not the person that is reelected to represent individual members for the next round?

But what is important is that the process of the timing should be done in a way that the outcome of the representative for individual members would not be available, would not be completed until after the other elections are completed. Maybe that could address that aspect. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Seun, and thank you, Sarah. I don't see any other hand raised. Seun, so I take it that we should [strike] option two from the voting rights.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

That is what it looks like. Thanks.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Okay. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: If I may, chair.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Seun, go ahead.

SEUN OJEDEJI: I'm seeing the chat from Sarah. I think we need to agree that we are working with the current representative. So if it's the current representative that would be casting the vote during the AFRALO leadership and ALAC election, then we should capture that. Do we need to capture that here, or do we just indicate here that the timeline would be completed after the announcement of the conclusion of the election for ALAC and AFRALO leadership?

I think that may address it, so I [would just suggest] text, but if there's anybody who has text they want to suggest to address that, you can suggest text as well. But at least the principle we're agreeing on now is that we should just make sur that we use the current representative and not the incoming one, at least for that particular election. So that is noted. Put an action item for me and Hadia to review that section to reflect what we are discussing. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Seun. I hope staff have noted that action item. So I think we are done for today, and we can move on to our next agenda item, which is what is our next steps. So what we are going to do is now we have to work on the document, to finalize the document so that we can have another call where we will go through the final document and see if

there are any other edits that need to be done. But I'm sure we've done most of the work, so now we finalize the final document and present it on the next call.

Thank you, everyone, for the great work. Let's continue until our next call. If there is anything that you think of maybe later after the call that you think should also be reviewed on this document, you can just add the comment to the document and also raise the issue on the mailing list. Thank you so much, staff. I give you the floor maybe to suggest when we'll be able to meet for our next call. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Yes. I am looking at the calendar in coordination with Claudia. It looks like next Tuesday the 3rd would be a good it me to do it. What about if we see 18:00, 19:00, 20:00 UTC? Or we could already scheduled for that, for Tuesday the 3rd, at 18:00 UTC if you wish. Or we can also do a Doodle for Tuesday or Thursday. So Wednesday is the AFRALO monthly call and it lasts 90 minutes. So maybe we would do—

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

That's why we are looking at Tuesday and Thursday.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: We can also do Thursday. That was the day we were having the call usually.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Exactly. We could do Thursday the 5th.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: That would give them a few more days to work on the document, I think.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes.

ISAAC MAPOSA: I think we can go on with Thursday. Thursday would be fine, I think. I don't see any other suggestion on the chat. So I think Thursday would be okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO: How is Thursday at 17:00 UTC for everyone? Perfect. Okay, it works for Sarah. So we'll schedule for Thursday the 5th at 17:00 UTC.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Awesome. Thank you so much, staff and interpreters and all the working group members.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Wonderful. Thank you so much, everyone. Great call.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Great. Thank you, everyone, for joining. This meeting is now adjourned.
Please enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]