
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good afternoon and good evening to you all. Welcome to the LACRALO Board call on Tuesday July the 6th 2021 at 23:00 UTC.

Today on this call on the Spanish channel we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Harold Arcos, Vanda Scartezini, and Augusto Ho.

On the English channel, we have Claire Craig.

On behalf of the staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management. Now let me give the floor to Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Claudia. Let me welcome you all for joining this call. We are still missing a few people. Hopefully, they will join later. But since it's getting late, we are going to start with a meeting. Perhaps we cannot cover the full agenda, but we can address some topics that are of interest to us.

I see that Sindy has just joined. And we will also focus on what comes next. Obviously, the takeover by the new leaders, the new chair. So having said this, let me give the floor to Harold so that he can go over the agenda and proceed to its adoption. Harold, please.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you, Sergio. After the welcoming remarks, we have updates from the different working groups. We will also have a quick summary of ICANN 71. This is the second meeting of ICANN devoted to policy discussions. We will also have an update on the next steps as Sergio has

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

just said. We will focus on the takeover by new leaders in the last meeting of this year, and then some others.

We can also talk about any other issues that you would like to raise. If there are any other issues that you would like to raise, please let us know. I see no hands, so the agenda is adopted. I give the floor back to you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Harold. Any objections to this agenda?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: I don't think so.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Perfect. Since there are no objections, we will proceed now to discuss the agenda. We are going to leave the updates from the working groups for later and we are going to start with a quick overview of ICANN 71. Would any of you like to take the floor just to give us your impressions about ICANN 71, some highlights, areas of improvement considering our last meeting? We have already discussed some of these aspects in the last LACRALO meeting, but I would like to know whether within the Board there are any particular comments. Vanda, would you like to go first?

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Yes, please. I would like to say that in our meeting, we need to have a discussion to make sure that the ALAC members and the Board members know what is going to happen on July the 8th on the ALAC Board meeting, because we had a lot of discussions during ICANN 71, so I don't think that there needs to be further discussion about that. But I think that there will be an ALAC Board meeting on July the 8th, so perhaps the ALAC members, Sindy, Carlos Aguirre or Silvia perhaps can tell us a little bit about the meeting, the agenda they're going to discuss on July the 8th. This is what I would be interested in discussing here.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Vanda. We can [inaudible] that as part of the agenda item on updates. I see that Sindy is here, so perhaps we can have an update about that meeting that will take place two days from now on Thursday. In the meantime, I don't know whether Harold would like to make any comments, share any remarks about ICANN 71 before we move on to the next agenda item.

HAROLD ARCOS: Thank you, Sergio. Yes, we can talk about the other agenda items, but regarding ICANN 71, I think I need to second what Vanda said. Although during this meeting there was also a discussion between the ALAC and the Board, there are still some outstanding key issues, and that is what the ALAC is going to discuss to do with protection measures or with safeguards, and with budgets, and also some operational matters that have to do with the new format for the meetings. Perhaps we will start

having hybrid meetings. Göran Marby and the chair of the Board have already researched this.

So I think those are outstanding discussions. And on our side, the IDN PDP will be started, and we have been working on IDNs since the Kobe meeting and since the Barcelona meeting. And there is a working group dealing with that matter and there needs to be some follow-up on that. So I think it is important to make sure that these members can almost exclusively devote their time to participate in that PDP so that they can start gathering some information.

The ALAC has already selected, as we said in our last meeting, the ALAC members that are going to serve as participants and members. These are two new categories that are part of the new participation model within the PDP. So the constituency appoints the people that are going to participate on behalf, in this case, of the ALAC.

I think it is important to highlight this because there are high expectations about the participation there. So those are the most meaningful topics that will soon have to be discussed.

I think that we move forward in the region. We need to focus now our attention on these areas, as we did in the past with .amazon and other key issues.

And I think the other topics are already discussed within LACRALO in the working groups. We saw the progress made in terms of universal acceptance. We are now moving on to another space. So I think that we need to focus our attention on these new issues, the PDP that is beginning right now.

And as you know, we are now within the framework of a review as a result of all the adjustments resulting from the coming into force of the GDPR. So some results were obtained, but now there is a review of those results.

I think that those are the highlights of ICANN 71 that come to my mind right now. Thank you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Harold. I don't know if there are any more comments. I saw Claire was active during ICANN 71. Maybe there are some comments about her participation there. Let me ask Claire if she wants to make any comments about ICANN 71.

CLAIRE CRAIG: Hi. Good evening, good afternoon. [inaudible] to have been able to participate in the multi-stakeholder panel in ICANN 71. I thought it was good to have your presentation from [inaudible] further involvement in this group—

INTERPRETER: I'm sorry, Claire, there was an overlap with some other voice. Could you please start again?

CLAIRE CRAIG: Sure. Not a problem. Okay, so I said that I was pleased to have been able to represent, to speak about the LAC region at the multi-stakeholder

panel at ICANN 71. I can hear chatter. Are you all hearing me above this chatter? Right.

So the thing is however, I think that being involved in this group will help me to [inaudible] more about our region. [inaudible] in a better position—

INTERPRETER: I'm sorry, Claire, there is another voice coming through the lines.

CLAIRE CRAIG: Yes, I'm hearing it, but it's not on my end. I don't know where it's coming from.

INTERPRETER: No, it's okay, I'm just letting you know because we cannot interpret because we cannot hear you. We hear two voices at the same time. Just give us a second. The operator is trying to fix it. Thank you.

CLAIRE CRAIG: Sure.

INTERPRETER: You may continue, Claire. Sorry.

CLAIRE CRAIG:

Okay. I will start from the beginning. I said I was pleased to be able to represent our region, the LAC region on the multi-stakeholder panel at ICANN 71, and at our last meeting, you will have heard my contribution. The only thing is that my contribution will have been based primarily on my experience in the Caribbean, but I'm thinking now with my involvement on this Board, I should be able to find out more about what is happening in the region and be more [inaudible] with the things that are happening and be able to speak more meaningfully in the future. I'm looking forward to continuing to participate as a member of this Board. So, thank you, and I look forward to any opportunities that may come up in the future. Thanks.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Claire. I want to thank you for being here and for being part of that panel at ICANN 71, especially considering all the work that you will have to do from now on. You will not be alone. We are still meeting a few people here who are going to support the work that you and Augusto will do from November.

In the meantime, what we are doing today in this meeting is very important, and I'm going to ask for Augusto to help me have this kind of meeting every month. Every month, we need to have a Board call so that by the time we reach November, we will have a stronger Board and you will feel supported, you will feel that you are not alone.

Now, we will have a short summary from our ALAC members. We are lucky to have Sindy and Carlos with us who will also be an ALAC member from November. But it will be very good to listen to Sindy's report from

ALAC, and I think that it is also interesting to consider what Vanda said about the meeting that the ALAC will have with the Board. We want to know what the discussion agenda will be for that meeting. So Cindy, I'll give you a few minutes to give your update. Thank you.

SINDY OBED:

Thank you so much for inviting me for this Board call. I'm very happy to participate also. Last week, I participated in the LACRALO meeting. [In the ALAC, we have some updates inform me.] I forget the name of the [inaudible], some briefing about ALAC. So I think that we have an update in the mailing list from Maureen for the general ICANN organization.

So me last week, I only spoke about why is it important for ICANN to follow the evolution of GDPR and also the technology associated. So this is so important, it's very important. I guess that I was not [inaudible] for the briefing, so I was not ... I do not think that I want to speak about the briefing that ... I could [inaudible] to comment something like that [inaudible] invitation in advance could be good for me. So you know that my English is not so good so I have to prepare before speaking. So this is why [inaudible] before I—

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Cindy.

SINDY OBED:

Yes.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Sindy. Just please don't be ashamed or don't be worried because of not being ready to provide a report. This is just a question of practice, and this will be continuous practice. So don't worry about this.

SINDY OBED: Okay.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: One of the issues today will be strengthening the participation of our friends from the Caribbean within ICANN.

SINDY OBED: Okay.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So we will focus now on some agenda issues to be able to strengthen in the future the idea that the Caribbean will have a lot more incidence on the discussions being discussed in ALAC and also the issues being discussed in ICANN.

We have some good old friends working in other constituencies, but we want to have more Caribbean included in the LACRALO logic. So don't worry about this. We will address this in a few minutes.

I'm going to ask Harold now. I do have a written report that Harold sent me, but maybe Harold can provide us with a quick summary of what the meeting with the Board will be like on the 8th of July. And with this, maybe we can continue with the other topics. So, thank you very much

for providing us a quick response on this. Harold, would you like to give us a brief report? Almost like a telegram.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Sergio. I just wanted to continue with the next agenda item, the one that Vanda mentioned, regarding the ALAC meeting with the ICANN Board. Some of the issues that will be dealt with need to maybe be considered by all the directors. One of them is the advice that ALAC provides the Board on the SubPro, the subsequent procedures.

So this is one of the key issues. The next one is the advice provided by ALAC to the Board, especially regarding the operational issues, good practice, the format, focus, feedback processes both internally and the Board processes, and the advice process itself.

Another issue, perhaps a broader issue that's important as well, is ATRT3, the review process. And this is linked to how the ALAC understands that we have undergone a review and adjustment process and it is important to ask if the structures that were put in place 15-20 years ago are still valid in this very challenging time where 99% of our work has been online through a videoconference platform like Zoom or any other one.

The truth is we have spent 99% of our time with one of those platforms. This was not done this way in the past because we would meet face-to-face three times a year. So this has been called the holistic review, that is to have a broader and more complete review that would include verifying whether the structures still are spaces to represent the stakeholders, in our case, the end users. Are they still valid, are they still

important, are they still significant? Is there a space, or can we broaden this space? Is it small? And so this can be called a holistic review.

And this is of course related, as we said, to ATRT3, and in fact, there is consensus that the ALAC will seek funds to undergo this holistic review process. So these are the three main issues that will be dealt with with the Board. We had a prior ALAC meeting. This will not happen, this was scheduled for 17:00 UTC, but we should all be aware of the importance of the process that is being consider now within the ICANN Board. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Harold. We will have a one-hour meeting instead of an hour-and-a-half meeting, so I would like to keep the protocol of dealing with the director reports. We only have two directors and we've already received reports from them in our very recent LACRALO meeting. But I would like to discuss among us how to improve our active participation and engagement as a LACRALO Board, and also, how can we improve the organization quality?

So I'm going to brainstorm a few issues so that you can take notes. I will try to have a meeting with Augusto maybe tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, we will discuss this offline, to be able to organize this passing of power in the next three months. We have the last three months that we can work together with Claire and Augusto so that they can receive all the responsibilities that they will be in charge of very soon. We will make any necessary adjustments, and update Claire, because Augusto is already working on this for quite some time now, that we need to be

able to try and strengthen the secretariat and to try to have an order passing of power to the next secretary that will be in charge of this leadership.

But we also have two challenges until November or even March. The first challenge is to have a strategic view of where LACRALO is going, and we need to start working for the March meeting in Puerto Rico where we hope we will be able to all meet in March and work together face-to-face. This is the first big goal.

The second goal is to have our working groups work. And the third goal, well, in the LACRALO meeting there were some voices discussing the very scarce participation in some of the regions. Well, they don't necessarily need to be face-to-face or present in the LACRALO meetings. There are some organizations that are present at the subregion but they actually do not provide any substantial input for the region.

I think we need to start to see how we're going to strengthen the Caribbean. So I want to make use of this opportunity where Sindy and Claire are here. I think one of the LACRALO goals is to have an active and pertinent participation in our region and representing the interests of our end users.

So we need to go one position further. We have very good and prestigious representation from the Caribbean and we need to see how they can be LACRALO ambassadors in their countries so that the Caribbean region and each of the places where each person lives and also we have contact with them because we meet at an IGF meeting or there are sometimes other meetings related to academia and

universities, and also, the big universe of the Internet ecosystems, all of this allows us to meet other stakeholders that we can invite to participate. But those who are already there in the Caribbean participating as the ALSes in LACRALO, we need to encourage them to participate even more.

My English unfortunately is very poor. Claire and Sindy, I apologize for not speaking English. But undoubtedly, you will have a possibility to connect more fluidly and to add more Caribbean people to LACRALO. So my question is, how can you help the region? Any of you, can you two please open your mic and just speak? Go ahead, please.

CLAIRE CRAIG:

Okay. You've laid out some pretty good challenges for the Caribbean. I really like the idea of us being ambassadors in our country and representing in meetings and forums that currently already exist, because that way, we don't have to reinvent the wheel.

So as you said, things like Internet Governance Forum, different things that may be happening in Academia or other meetings. And on that note, I just wanted to share with the group, and I was thinking of putting [inaudible] this is not a LACRALO event but tomorrow, CaribNOG is hosting CarPIF 7 which is the Caribbean peering and interconnection forum.

And in that meeting, there are other representation from other ICANN, so the ICANN stakeholder for the Caribbean, he is participating in it. There is participation from LACNIC. And I am a moderator in that session as well. So the thing is I think we just need to continue to be visible in

different things that are happening and promote, where possible, the work of LACRALO in some of these fora. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you. Let me add something more. We need to have more Caribbeans working within LACRALO. We have a lack of colleagues from the Caribbean. There are colleagues from the Caribbean who are not participating actively. Many times, we are assuming things because we don't know what's happening in the Caribbean with certain issues and we are assuming things from our reality, which is not the same reality that the Caribbean is experiencing. So I think we are assuming certain positions.

So my request for my two colleagues from the Caribbean is we should work more strongly in participation and engagement from ALSes. We need to have a more active participation in LACRALO. Our positions, both the secretariat and the ALAC members, are not our positions. These are the positions of the region. We represent the region. And the representatives of a region need to have continuous activity, contact with those who are working within this wonderful LACRALO world.

So we need to have more presence from all of us here and from those of us who apologize and cannot be at this meeting, but we need our friends in the region to see that we're here and active. This is our responsibility.

I'm not saying this to Sindy or Claire, I'm saying this to everyone in this meeting. We have two responsibilities. One of them is to represent and speak as a collective. In ALAC meetings, we represent the live thoughts

of our region, and this is a collective thought, not an individual thought. But then we need feedback from the region. So all of us have an obligation to speak to our colleagues who are actively participating in the region.

So our first significant challenge is to break with this idea of going only once a month to the LACRALO meeting and once to the ALAC meeting and to start having more action in WhatsApp communications and emailing to our colleagues.

And I insist, I'm not referring to the Caribbean, I'm speaking to each and everyone that is now part of this meeting: Vanda, Marcelo, Augusto, Claire, Sindy, and maybe I'm forgetting someone else. And if I am forgetting someone, I apologize.

Our responsibility is to interact. We are representatives, so we first need to participate, and second, we need to report. There are many things happening in ALAC and in ICANN, and the normal ALS that's participating in the region doesn't pay attention to the very large amount of e-mails that we receive and we end up not reading any e-mails because we're receiving 50,000 e-mails a day and we just can't say which one is important, which one is not. That's an issue.

So because nobody reads the e-mails, we need to have the responsibility to be able to provide a summary of what is happening within the ICANN world and translate this so that the ALS that is working in our region can have an opinion about an issue that they deem significant. Probably much of what we say will not be considered, will not be regarded.

People will consider these not things they're interested in, because this is stakeholder that actually happens. But we still need to do this.

And those ALSes that are actually people should also involve issues that probably were not dealt with within their organizations. Claire, you have the floor, please go ahead.

CLAIRE CRAIG:

Sure. I'm hearing you, Sergio, and one of the things that we are grappling with in the Caribbean is actually getting people to volunteer. And during this pandemic, it is even harder. People are caught up with working remotely, taking care of families. A lot of people have lost [inaudible]. So if we could find some ways of how we can engage people and have them be able to volunteer, I think that is one of the big problems we're facing.

People are just trying to live their lives on a daily basis. So when you add this on top of it, it becomes burdensome. Even for the people who are currently involved, we have [inaudible] participation on my level. One of the things [inaudible] is a Caribbean working group and we're trying to build that. So even out of that, we can then get the ALSes more involved. But I think for us right now, it's really getting more volunteers involved so that the persons who are there don't feel burdened and that they have to do all the work. So just wanted to put that on the table. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Claire. I'm going to perhaps speak on behalf of many of us present here. This is happening everywhere. Oftentimes, we don't take this into account. The past meeting, there was someone who said that wanted to see more active participation from the Caribbean. And maybe that person was not taking into account what you were just saying. Perhaps we see this every day in our own countries, people who are jobless now, people who are barely making ends meet, and people who want to work and make a better world, this is the message from the United Nations, we have the SDGs but we cannot meet them. In the ILO, there are also priorities that have to do with decent work.

So I understand what you're saying, because we are not alien to these difficulties. And perhaps when people make comments, they don't even think about the situation. There is no empathy with regards to what you're saying. Somebody said this on Monday in a meeting that we had. I can't remember it was a week ago.

So my proposal to you, Claire and Sindy, is that we as people who have a little role here should be more actively involved. We need to devote and offer our time also to do advocacy with our colleagues in the region. We need everyone to understand what the situation is like, but I'm sure that we can make progress in some areas. There are some topics of interest to the region that may motivate some people to join us.

And with the list of ALSes in the Caribbean, we need to work to see why they are not participating. We need to find out, and you are going to have that task in your hands. There are approximately 25 organizations that are actively involved in LACRALO, but there are 61 on the list, so we need to work for those 61, not for the 25 organizations that are working.

So when we say Latin America and Caribbean is not actively participating and I look at the figures, I know who is doing what in which places, and no, that is not true. We are participating, but we have very few people participating. And all of us are working on some ICANN issues. But the problem is that those that look at the list see 61 and they don't see 25 organizations.

So this puts a burden on our shoulders when actually, there are only 25 out of the 61 organizations that are actively participating. And I'm telling you this knowing that there is a political cost to say this. I would rather have 25 than 61 if we have 61 that only show up when there are elections but they do not participate throughout the year. What do we want them for? It is much better to have 25 high-quality organizations that have good participation that are present in all activities. And if those 25 organizations are present everywhere, we will have 100% performance. But today, we are at 30% performance according to documents. Carlos, go ahead.

CARLOS AGUIRRE:

Thank you, Sergio. I think that this is an extremely complex issue. It's not new. When I had the last mandate on ALAC, I was the chair of engagement and outreach, and at that time, I came up with a process to be followed in order to generate more participation and commitment.

And the first step is outreach. It is dissemination of information. But there are two issues associated with that. One is the huge number of topics discussed within ICANN, and on the other hand, there are a lot of people who are working on so many topics that they cannot take care of

anymore, and at the same time, the problem with outreach today—and this is not new, as I said earlier, this dates back from a long time—it's that this is not intuitive. It is not easy.

And this comes from the different Board meetings, from the different ACs and SOs, and it comes as a bulk of information without being digested. And nobody gives you that in a friendly format.

Once we have good outreach, we will have people with good level of knowledge. If you have friendly outreach, people will become interested, they will realize that they enjoy discussing or working on those issues so they are going to start digging into them and they will start having more knowledge. And with that comes participation, because you want to show that you know or you want to raise a comment or you want to show an idea that is different to what is being discussed in other areas, because when you have knowledge, you are comfortable to participate. Spontaneously, you feel like participating. You want to show that you know, that you have a different idea, that you can make a significant contribution.

And when you have that kind of participation, you also have a high level of commitment. So this has to do with the process, with the genesis of good outreach. That is the starting point: good outreach, good dissemination, friendly outreach. There are hundreds of emails that we receive on a daily basis in our inboxes, and you may skip a few or all of them because sometimes you have so many e-mails that you cannot go through all of them, or what happens to me, I apologize for joining this meeting late because I did not receive this e-mail with this invitation because probably, I was paying attention to another inbox because the

e-mail address needs to be replaced because I want to use the one that I'm constantly checking. So I keep on getting e-mails to the other address and I'm not checking that e-mail.

So going back to what I was saying, I think that we need to focus on these issues: outreach, knowledge, participation and engagement. I think that is a lot of the process.

With good outreach, we can develop knowledge and people will get interested. They will feel like participating. Of course, then you have the individual will to participate. Of course, without that individual will, you cannot do anything, you cannot expect people to participate if they're not willing to do so. But it would be much easier to engage more people if we have that kind of friendly outreach. And I think that it is there where we need to make some improvements.

Remember what happened at the beginning when we asked that not all documents should be in English, that they should be translated into different languages, and we succeeded in getting that. I think that now, we not only need them in different languages but also in a friendly format. I think that is part of the policy that we need to push forward.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Carlos. Considering Claire's comments and Cindy's contributions and yours, let me put forward a proposal here. I have my own agenda. It is quite a peculiar agenda, but this may be helpful to us all.

As you know, we have the working groups, and now, there are one or two individuals from the region who are proposing to have technical people instead of users in these groups. I don't believe that technocrats can lead this work. We don't want technical people, we want of course technical knowledge but we need users to get involved. As Carlos said, we need things in a friendly format so that we can easily grasp them and take positions about them. Otherwise, the effect can be positive or negative. So we need to be able to react so that everybody understands that this can be harmful.

So this has to do with the regional strategies. We may have different topics as part of the regional strategy. We can have participation but also informed participation. That is, people who take a position because they know what is being discussed. They have knowledge about that. Sometimes, we raise an issue and people cast a vote. I see this in ALAC. ALAC submits a document and nobody reads the document, and they just approve it as the working group has already accepted that and nobody dares to vote against that.

And we never get to any objections. I remember that I voted against some proposals a few times, or a few statements. I think Carlos also did that within the ALAC. But then that was it, because everybody would just say yes, would just click enter. The truth is that we need to be able to have a discussion. We need to think about users in the region. We need to think about the current circumstances in the region.

It is true that we don't have enough time to go over all documents and would need to rely on the working group for that. If there is a topic that

we cannot manage on our own, well, we need to set up a group so that we can take care of that.

So my proposal to you now is the following: I know that we are going through difficult times. In my country, we are going through elections soon. Some of us work in other parallel processes, so we may get involved in other elections in our country. But this is my proposal to you.

Why don't we start looking at the strategic plan at least to have a strategic plan that we can discuss before November and perhaps fine tune it or update it in March in our face-to-face meeting? I think that may be a milestone. We have to check that schedule, Augusto, but I would like to do this this way. Perhaps we can have it earlier, but I doubt it. So at least try to get that in March.

And at the same time, we need Caribbean participation. Even if it is just Claire and Sindy, they need to be involved in those discussions, with interpreters, but we need to have somebody representing the Caribbean in this discussion. Otherwise, we will be speaking on behalf of the Caribbean islands when actually, we don't know what the reality is there. Claire has just described the situation in the Caribbean. So there are certain things that need to be discussed with good knowledge of the situation.

So we need participation from the Caribbean so that they can speak up, we can have their voice and then we need representation from South America, Central America, somebody from the Andean region and then the Caribbean voice. That beautiful combination and cultural diversity is

what we need in order to start looking at the five-year strategy for LACRALO.

And then we need to get our working groups up and running, working properly. To that end, we need more coordinated vision. I'm going to ask you to make emphasis on our working groups. We need to go back to each group and speak on an individual basis with the 61 members of the region, and we also need to go back to the metrics work that was led by Alberto Soto and that was left aside.

I don't like it, of course, but I must admit that if we don't have metrics, we don't know what the reality is like in the region. We end up having a lot of ghost organizations that do not participate and only show up for elections. And that is not the proper way to work. We need strong organizations. If we have strong organizations, there is no way that the voice of users in Latin America and Caribbean cannot be heard. We can raise our voices. We can have discussion somewhere else, that we need participation. This is not happening today. So I think these are the two items for our future agenda.

And I'm sure I'm going to have a meeting with Augusto tomorrow. We will try to come up with something later on. We will meet with Harold and Claire in order to start with a blueprint of what needs to be done. Perhaps Claire, in that meeting we won't have interpretation, but we will have Harold help. So it'll be more homemade translation. I apologize, I don't speak English, but we will try to start with a blank slate and see what we can do from now until November and beyond November. Harold is going to be the chair elect and I'm going to be the secretary elect, so we will support you, you will be the new leader of LACRALO,

and I'm also going to be there with Augusto providing support. But I think that we need to embark on this process.

Silvia is offering me an ad hoc meeting. Silvia, yes, I think that's a good idea. Whatever we can do to put things in an orderly fashion is more than welcome. I have a very beefy agenda for the next coming days. In our country, as I said, we are going through this elections process. The three of us present here are involved in this political process, so we are quite complicated in the next few days. But we need to have this meeting. It would be a one-hour meeting. So let me check with Augusto our schedule and perhaps on Wednesday, Friday or Thursday, we can have a meeting.

I know that Friday can be a difficult time for interpreters, but perhaps we can set up a meeting for Wednesday or Thursday. And then we need to have meetings with each of the directors. Carlos, you will have two meetings because you are the working group director but also, you are the elected ALAC member. But we have to make sure that we engage in those conversations. I think there is some progress being made now along the lines of WHOIS. We need to leverage on the work. Then with Adrian, we need to give more emphasis to that.

Claire, Sindy, we need you to write an article, each of you needs to write at least a page in Arial 11 font—we will send you the specific format—because we need to have some information about the Caribbean. We need to have some article about the Caribbean to encourage others to participate. Perhaps someone reads the article and says, "I want to participate like Claire or Sindy is doing," so let's take advantage of that. Let us show our ability, the generosity of all the

people working at ICANN. We are devoting our time, our personal time for the interest of the collective structure.

So that's all I have to say. I apologize for colonizing, so to speak, this meeting, but I thought it was important for me to convey all this to you. I apologize for taking the floor for so long. Next meeting will be different. But if you want to make some final comments, you can take the floor. Otherwise, we will adjourn the meeting.

CARLOS AGUIRRE:

Just for staff, let me say I would like you to copy all of these communications to carlosaguirre62@hotmail.com so that I can receive all these e-mails. And second, I agree with what you say. This double mandate I will have from November, this would probably have to be reviewed because I think it will be a heavy load in ALAC and we would probably need to have somebody else in the group. [I logged this] issue.

It goes a bit slow because all of these ICANN processes are very well studied and very much worked on. And we didn't really see much progress in ICANN 71 aside from some ratifications and new information on the RDAP.

But these groups are long-term groups, especially when dealing with these issues, because there aren't really very significant variations in short time. So if we need to provide the report for each of the meetings, it is pretty much saying the same time and again, so it could be tiring to hear people saying the same each meeting.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I'm sorry to interrupt. More than providing a report of what we do, what's important in this stage is to try to push as much as possible to increase participation. So we need to review the strategies that we're having. And I am being told that we have gone over our time by 11 minutes. I apologize, Carlos, for having cut you. Let me send you a very big hug.

And I hope we can meet soon. I'm not really sure if we will or will not have a face-to-face meeting in the United States. I think there will be no meeting.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: I think most of the Latinos will not be able to get into the United States.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I have been vaccinated twice.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: Well, I am as well, but maybe if you have not been vaccinated with Pfizer, you will not get in. This is the American [inaudible].

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, my brothers and sisters and friends, see you soon.

VANDA SCARTEZINI: All of this was very interesting, Sergio. I think the participation from the Caribbean is very important. So, thank you very much. Thank you all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]