

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Capacity Building Working Group webinars team call on Thursday the 6th of May 2021 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel, we have Hadia Elminiawi, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Vernatius Ezeama, and we currently do not have anybody on the Spanish channel.

We have received an apology from Alberto Soto.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Our Spanish interpreters for today are Claudia and Marina.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name when taking the floor for transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels. Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you so much, and thank you for joining the call today. So Jonathan is joining now, so that's good. Let's take a look at the agenda. First, we will review the action items, and then we will have Jonathan Zuck talking to us about the webinar he gave on the 4th of May, and then we will review the upcoming webinars. And then if Abdulkarim joins, we will receive an update from him about the expert survey. And then if there is

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Any Other Business, and then we need to determine when our next call is.

Seeing no hands up, let's go ahead and adopt the agenda and review the action items. Okay, so the action item we had was the rescheduling of Jonathan's webinar, which happened on Tuesday, and we talked about the September webinar about the At-Large DNS abuse educational campaign, and the expert survey which is done, and maybe Heidi could update us on that later. And then let's go back to the agenda.

Jonathan is supposed to give us this debrief now, but because he hasn't joined yet, let's go ahead and review the upcoming webinars, and then we can hear from Jonathan.

So actually, we have webinars lined up until September. We were supposed to have this month in addition to Jonathan's webinar about creating videos with PowerPoint, a webinar by Sandra about intercultural awareness for At-Large, but Sandra was not really ready, and we decided to postpone the webinar. We haven't rescheduled a date yet for that, but I am in contact with Sandra, and hopefully we can reschedule. Maybe for October, because—so in May already, we have conducted one webinar, and that would have been an additional one. So that's it for this month.

And in June, we will have the ICANN meeting prep week and then the ICANN meeting itself. So it will be full of webinars in all cases, and we usually do not conduct a webinar during the ICANN meeting month.

And then in July, we have Melissa, she's back again with a webinar about facilitation skills, and we look forward to that because Melissa's

---

webinars have been really successful. And then in August, we have a suggestion from Natalia about a webinar under the title country code domains and DNS marketing.

And then in September, Joanna and I were talking about DNS abuse educational program, which will start with an At-Large capacity building webinar and then will be followed by individual RALO webinars.

Cheryl, you're saying if October works for Sandra, what are we doing in September? Yeah, in September, it's the DNS abuse educational program. That could be also done in October and we can have Sandra in September. So it depends when Sandra would be ready. I will be following up with her, and hopefully, she can put together a good webinar for September or October.

So that's it for the upcoming webinars. And then Jonathan is saying that he's trying to join but it's not launching. I'm not sure why. I've shared with him the link that I actually have.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hadia, I just sent it to him via Skype as well. I hope that works.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Okay. Thank you so much. And Heidi is saying in October we have ICANN 72. Correct, Heidi. So if Sandra is not in September, she will need to move to November. You're right. Cultural academy face-to-face version was actually developed. Heidi, would you like to take the floor?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. So the ICANN academy held a face-to-face intracultural awareness course. It was in Abu Dhabi. And it was actually developed by a global team of community members in order to allow and ensure that that global cultural element was there. So they could highlight the various cultures of regions or subregions. So that might be one way to go. AtLarge is the most globally diverse group within ICANN, so that might be a way that you would wish to plan this session. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thank you. Cheryl, would you like to take the floor? So you're saying the question is best time to run it, and when do you think the best timer to run that is?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sure. it's not so much when I think is the best time to run it, it's, when is it going to be most impactful?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, of course.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: And for that point of view, it is often at a transition either immediately before or after—my personal preference is immediately before transition of members and leaderships of things. So I would be encouraging this to be an action just before, as Heidi just said—

---

JONATHAN ZUCK: Hey guys, it's me. Sorry.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's okay, JZ. So just plan it and make sure the people who are moving into positions are clearly expected to attend. That sort of thing is where I would be positioning it. Thanks.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Cheryl. That makes perfect sense, indeed. And for that, I think September would work. And then we could have the DNS users education program in November. And that would work as well because we had too many DNS abuse webinars in all cases this year. So I will talk to Sandra and we will try to aim for September.

So August will be the country code domains and DNS marketing and September will be Sandra, October is ICANN week, November is DNS abuse. Jonathan has joined us. So if we're done with the upcoming webinars, let's go back to the agenda. Thank you, and so to you, Jonathan, you're item number four, debrief of 4th of May 2021 webinar, creating videos with PowerPoint.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. We had a webinar, and it's so hard, obviously, over Zoom to know what the level of interest was, but there was good conversation in the chat and things like that. And I think that Heidi's idea to do some kind of a competition to create a video is a good one, to get people to just try it and get over the hump of trying it for the first time. So we should try to organize something like that. So I'll put together something, I guess, and

---

put it in front of this group as to what that might look like. Maybe there's a prize for the best promo video and another for the best explainer video or something like that, and maybe we schedule a time when people can get on in a workshop form and ask questions as they're working or something. I don't know. But happy to do that. But overall, I feel like it went fairly well, and with a minimum of technical difficulties and such. I know Sébastien's already reached out for help on something he's trying to do for his wife's local election. So I think [anything we can do to get] people to try it, I think, is a good thing.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Jonathan. I also think it was an excellent webinar. I couldn't attend it all because I had my vaccine appointment, so I left a little bit early, but it was very useful indeed. And this idea of having a competition seems like an excellent idea. But the point is, when do you want to have it? Do you want to have it before ICANN launch this competition, before ICANN 71 so that we would initially have promo videos for the meeting? Or what's the idea?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I think that's the idea, yeah, to get people to either choose a topic to explain or choose an event to promote for the competition for ICANN 71 if we can get it going quickly.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

So when do you intend to launch this competition?

---

JONATHAN ZUCK: I don't know. I just had to get through the webinar, but I can try to coordinate with staff to figure out the best way to launch it. I can certainly put together a little bit of an explanation of it or something. I can come up with a premise for it in the next couple of days so that we can conceivably launch it sometime next week.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: That would be great. And so let's see what others—okay, Cheryl, your hand is up. Please go ahead.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. I've just dopped in and out of Zoom while you two were talking, so hopefully I will stay up for long enough for this intervention. I just wanted to ask—and I doubt it'll be data at your fingertips, but it would be data that I think is interesting for us to track. And I've got to say I thoroughly enjoyed and continue to get a lot out of Jonathan's capacity building work that he's doing with us all. So I'm a strong supporter of these types of things, the Melissa stuff, what we'll be getting out of Sandra, the Jonathan stuff. This is all great stuff and it should be keeping everybody very interested in-between dots of policy-specific bits of capacity building. So keep up that good work.

But what I wondered, and what I thought I observed between at least a couple of these courses that Jonathan has done, is we're getting a different audience. We've got the core group of people—I'll turn up to the opening of an envelope, apparently. But I'm just seeing some new names. I'm seeing some more interaction. I think it's being reflected in chat that we might actually have that from the registration data. And I

---

just wouldn't want to lose contact with collecting that as we go along in case there's something really useful we can get out of that data when we wrap up our year end and plan our following years. That's all I was going to make any comments about. Sorry.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Cheryl. And actually, making use of the registration data is something very beneficial and useful to what we do. However, I'm not sure about how we could actually make use of this data and if we are allowed to do that, because looking at the participants and where they come from and not only region-wise but background-wise—I see Heidi's hand is up. Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is unrelated to the registration data, so please continue.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So I'm basically done. So if we actually can make use of this data, it would be great.

JONATHAN ZUCK: It probably needs to be anonymized and just looked at in a macro sense. I know that Gisella has said in the past that we can write to the attendees, like to do follow-ups and things which would be useful for the competition for example, but any other use of this probably has to be done in an anonymized, analytical way that we've got more widespread

---

regional participation or something like that, as opposed to anything that talks about a particular name.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Obviously anonymized, but it's not even regional. I think there's even subregional interest here. It's the geo space—I'd love to then maybe next year look at, well, is it more data that we could collect in our survey about how many capacity building—we often used to ask them how long they've been involved in ICANN. Well, maybe we can ask how many capacity building webinars have they attended, one to three, five to seven, 223, whatever. That type of stuff, I think, will be useful. Anyway, enough of my ...

JONATHAN ZUCK: I know like Jeff Neuman has attended a couple of them, Avri has attended a couple of them and things. So it's gone a little beyond our core ...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, yeah, you're getting quite a wide following.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes. Okay. So definitely anonymized. And we are already doing that. So when we get the survey results and we have the results by region, so that's anonymized results, right? But we could also have results—we are looking also to data beyond that, like what are the backgrounds of the participants? And I think this is useful and important because as we

---

know more about our participants, we can provide to them better webinars that would actually benefit them.

Heidi, do you want to go ahead?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah, just before I do, Hadia, I will note an action item for staff to do that, to see if we can get some metrics on who's participating in the webinars. My comment was actually for Jonathan. I've put it into the chat, but I realized, Jonathan, that you're not in Zoom.

So for the contests of the videos, it might be useful, because we are so close to ICANN 71, to work with Natalia to see if you can plan some videos, video contents around ICANN 71. Maybe something similar to what Lilian did in advance of ICANN 70 and then the winners or all the contestants could have their video shown during the outreach and engagement/social media call that is being planned the week prior to ICANN 71. Just some thoughts there. It could be really fun with the contest. Thanks.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Sure. What I'm missing—and I apologize. Is that different than what I said? I don't know what you want me to focus on that I wasn't, so I'm afraid that I'm missing something.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Natalia. I didn't hear you saying that you would work with Natalia closely and connect it to the social media and outreach and engagement. So if you said that, apologies.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Oh, okay. You mean connect into that group.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes.

JONATHAN ZUCK: [inaudible]. Okay. Sure.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, so that makes sense as well, because Nathalia is already working on that and collaborating with her. And given the short time we have, makes perfect sense.

So, seeing no other hands, if there's no more on this topic, we can move ahead to the expert survey update. If Abdulkarim is with us, he can go ahead and give us the update. If not, Heidi, please go ahead.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Hello. I just want to say that myself and Heidi, we finalized the survey, how to send it out, and it's going to be sent out via the mailing list. If it's not yet sent out, it's going to be sent out in the next few days. That's the update. I don't know if Heidi wants to provide any further update. I

---

think. But I think we're finalized on it now and it's going to be sent out via the mailing list.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Abdulkarim. This is very good news. The survey will be definitely very helpful in planning our 2022 webinars, and maybe also in the DNS abuse education webinars. Heidi, do you want to add anything?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. So Abdulkarim and I have been working together. He's approved the cover note, he's indicated the length of time—it'll be a one-month open survey. Staff will send out a reminder at the two-week point. The e-mail is literally ready. We've agreed to the mailing list it's going to go out, it'll be the ALAC Announce, The Capacity Building Working Group list and the five RALO lists. What we are waiting for is just the clearance on the GDPR issue, any kind of personal data being collected. And on this one, there's very minimal data being collected of a personal nature. So I'm hoping, just like Abdulkarim- said, it'll just be the next day or so and we can get that launched.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Okay, great. Thank you so much, Heidi, for the update. So if there is nothing else to discuss in relation to this topic, let's move to Any Other Business. And seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, what remains is the scheduling of our next call. So, how would you like this to go? Our next call is supposed to be on the 20th of May, and we can go ahead and

---

schedule it as such, and that would give us an opportunity to maybe discuss the DNS abuse education program webinar, and as well, Sandra's webinar in September. And maybe we could also try inviting Sandra to our May 20th meeting if she actually has something to share with us.

So if you all agree, we could schedule our next webinar for May the 20th, and then in June, most probably, we won't have any—yeah, we could also have a meeting in order to prepare for our July webinar. So, would you like to go ahead with May 20th, or would you like to, for example, have it on the 27th of May, like three weeks from now instead of two weeks from now?

I'm seeing no preferences, so maybe let's have it two weeks from now and see if we have enough stuff to discuss on May the 20th.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The only thing I'm trying to double check on is the planning for the GNSO council meetings, because ...

HADIA ELMINIAMI: Okay. So can you please check, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: That's why I didn't jump in, I'm trying to get to that part of the—

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Cheryl and Claudia—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Oh, Claudia, god love you. You're on top of it. Well done, you.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: It looks like the DNSSEC Council meeting is May 20th at 19:00 for two hours.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, so maybe if you all agree, we could postpone the meeting to the 27th of May. We don't have much to discuss anyway. So, would that be fine, Thursday the 27th of May? Okay, so if there's no conflict, then our next meeting would be on Thursday the 27th of May at 19:00 UTC, correct?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes. I will get that scheduled. Thank you so much, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, great. Thank you. And thank you all for—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just one thing, if I may.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Please go ahead.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I do try and minimize clashes. I still have a clash with that. That doesn't matter. But if we ever move to a one per month cadence, then we will be able to avoid fortnightly calls that go in rotation, and the monthly GNSO meetings. We'll see how we go, but thank you for moving to the 27th. It'll make our lives a little bit easier, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, great. And most probably, we will not have any meetings at least during the first three weeks of June. We will have a meeting maybe—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, it's only the NomCom review group, and they've moved from weekly meetings to fortnightly meetings and I got them to rotate so they avoided the GNSO Council meeting, but that of course means there's only one week in the month that I don't have anything on at the same time. But that's okay. Two meetings at once, I can manage.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Great. So we are all set. If we have nothing else to discuss, we can end up this meeting now. Thank you all for your time, and see you three weeks from now. Bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you everyone for joining. This meeting is adjourned. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]