
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 70 planning committee call on Thursday the 4th of March 2021 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Sébastien Bachollet, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Joanna Kulesza, Jonathan Zuck, Judith Hellerstein, Yrjö Lansipuro, and Olivier CrépinLeblond.

On the Spanish channel, we have Lilian Ivette De Luque, Augusto Ho, Alberto Soto, and we also have Hadia Elminiawi, Shreedeeep Rayamajhi, and Christopher Wilkinson joining the Zoom room as we speak.

We have received apologies from Vanda Scartezini and Matthias Hudobnik.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name when taking the floor so the interpreters might identify you on the other language channels and to please keep your microphones muted when to speaking to prevent any background noise.

Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Maureen.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Claudia, and welcome, everyone, to the final run up to our ICANN meeting. And we've got a few things just to clarify, I think, for Gisella, just making sure that we're all on top of everything, and everyone can hear what everyone else is up to.

I know that Gisella had some deadlines this week, and I think we might have just [inaudible]. But of course, she's here. We'll start off with Gisella and we'll go through the schedule, just checking what still has to be done, if anything, for agenda item three. Thank you, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much, Maureen. We'll hopefully keep this call short, but I thought it would still be useful just as a final overview as we come two weeks ahead of the meeting. What I suggest is if you would like to—and without making this tedious in any way, we can maybe just go through the daily schedules. I've been through them this morning, just double checking that we've got the agendas. We have two outstanding, but nothing that I'm too worried about at this stage.

So if we're looking at Monday, we have the At-Large leadership session, welcome to ICANN 70 and policy talking points. So we have the agenda set up there. And unless there are any comments on that, so we have León introducing the ICANN 70 meeting in Mexico, virtually obviously, and the overview of ICANN 70 with Maureen and we'll be looking into the talking points, as we usually do, with Jonathan.

With regards to the At-Large policy session one, Matthias's session, eh did send his apologies for today, but he has sent me the list of all of his speakers, so I have all his speakers, I'm following up with calendar

invitations, and I'll just [inaudible] in here while we're talking about calendar invitations, ahead of the schedule, we will be following up with all the guest speakers for all the policy sessions as well as for any other of the sessions to just make sure that we get the presentations ahead of time.

And also, because we are using the integrated Zoom system, the AtLarge support team had a call actually earlier today and with the new integrated Zoom system, we've been asked whether the presenters could give a short—there is a specific script that they will have just to read out to the interpreters to make sure that the audio is loud and clear. This would also avoid any interruptions and it's a new system, so we want to make sure that everyone joins ahead of time, has time to check their audio and that we have as little disruption as possible on the calls, but the support team will be taking care of that and sending the speakers all the logistical information with regards to joining our sessions.

So Matthias is all set for Monday, and that leads us on to later that day, we have the LACRALO roundtable, we have a description, we have a question and we have a draft agenda at this stage. Things may still change, but as it stands now, we have enough to send in for translation purposes, which is fantastic. Thank you, everyone, for assisting with the deadlines.

Are there any questions for Monday? Seeing no hands up, I'm going to go straight on to Tuesday. We have our second policy session, and I will make an amendment here because the moderators are Hadia and Holly.

Hadia will be doing the introduction to the session and Holly will be leading the Q&A on this.

We have the description, and I'm just waiting for the agenda to come through, which will hopefully be today from Holly and Marita. Sorry, Holly and Hadia on this one.

And we also have the ALAC and GAC meeting. I've temporarily put the EPDP SubPro and views on the Board's score on ATRT3. That is what I've picked up from e-mail exchanges. And I do apologize if this is not completely accurate, Yrjö. Hopefully, you will be able to provide us with [inaudible] we're following up with GAC on the agenda for that session. So hopefully, we'll get something soon on that one. We do have Yrjö on the call. Yrjö, do you wish to add anything with regards to the ALAC and GAC agenda? Thank you.

YRJÖ LANSIPURO:

Thank you. Yeah, I haven't got a confirmation from the GAC side so far, so I'll go back and send them another request for confirmation. The items should be—the EPDP and SubPro have been our perennial items, and we don't see any reason why they should be. ATRT3 was a suggestion by Sébastien, and as I said, I'm still waiting for the confirmation from the GAC. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you very much, Yrjö. So yes, we'll keep a close eye on the response from the GAC. So we can now move on to Wednesday. On Wednesday, we start with our third policy session, moderators Hadia

and Jonathan. We have the description and we have an agenda. I believe panelists will be added, but that's not what we needed in this first instance to send it off for translation, so thank you very much, Jonathan, Hadia. Do you have anything to add to your session?

And apologies, we have Jonathan and Hadia on the call, so Hadia, did you want to add anything regarding your session on the Tuesday? And Jonathan and Hadia, do you wish to add anything for your session on the Wednesday? I know it is later on in the agenda, but because we're going through the agenda now and we have been through your sessions, I was just wondering whether you wanted to add anything now. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Gisella. I need to speak with Holly, or maybe we could exchange a couple of e-mails. So no, I don't have ... I'm just not sure who from the Board is going to be on our session, because Avri said she's not available.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Correct.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

So we don't have someone from the Board, right?

GISELLA GRUBER: Not that I'm aware of, because I believe that Avri was the only Board member that I saw in the e-mail exchanges.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes. This is true. And so I think we might be outreaching to someone else from the Board. But I will need to speak to Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Hi. We were hoping to get somebody from the Board who had some involvement in the joint applicant support working group from 2011, but otherwise, somebody from the Board that is likely to own the applicant support issue and champion the budget for it within the Board I guess would be useful, but I'm not sure who that is, so we may not have a name right away.

We have enough panelists to have a panel, but it would be better if we had a Board member as well.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So let's [talk later.]

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Hadia and Jonathan. I see Christopher Wilkinson has his hand raised, and so does Cheryl. Christopher.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you, Gisella. Regarding applicant support, the program looks excellent, but I think there is a serious risk, in this context, of spending a lot of time preaching to the converted. In my experience with the PDP, there has been a good deal of pushback against the expansion and the cost of applicant support, and certainly pushback about expanding the categories of expenditure that could be supported.

I think we need to be careful about that, and if possible, get somebody on the panel who's really going to argue the negative case, because that needs to be smoked out and dealt with, otherwise the Board will be in effect lobbied against us. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Christopher. Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Okay, Hadia, and Jonathan, it may be helpful for you to reach out to Becky Burr next, because it's Avri and Becky who own the shepherding of all things subsequent procedures. And hopefully, if Avri is busy with the OEC, Becky won't be. But it would be Becky who would be the next most natural one to interact in the manner to which you seem to want to have this designed.

CHRISTOPHER WILKINSON: Thank you. That would be a good idea, Cheryl.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Cheryl. I'll reach out to Becky, definitely. And just to answer Christopher's question, I think we're trying to take this a step at a time. So the purpose of this panel is really just to identify goals, because once the goals are actually identified, it makes it much easier to have a conversation about resources. So hopefully, we're not even having that conversation in this session about how much should be offered or what sort of type of support should be offered.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you very much, Jonathan. I don't see any further hands raised, so we will continue on that day. And thank you for the feedback. So I have noted that you'll be reaching out to Becky Burr. And Jonathan, if you just CC me on that, then I can make sure you're the Board ops team are well aware of the request and we can also just clear that her schedule is clear. Often, they'll come back and say "I just need to check with Board ops." So if you copy me in on that, I can do that in the background if it helps.

On Wednesday, we continue with the joint AFRALO-AFRICANN meeting. We have an agenda there as well which is wonderful, and we end the day with the LACRALO social event.

I haven't put the LACRALO social event details there just yet. It's all been finalized. So this will not only have the details but it'll also link to the main LACRALO GA page and so it's all still work in progress. But less of translation to do there, so that's fine as it is now. And there has been a lot of work in the background on the social event.

Then if we go on to Thursday—just checking there are no hands. Thank you. If we go on to Thursday, we have the At-Large leadership wrap-up. We already have the agenda there, and that is the last day of our four-day meeting. So as it stands, for me, I'm only waiting for one agenda, and we're pretty much set. Thank you, everyone, for all the input, and I'll hand it back to Maureen. Thank you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Gisella. And I'm just wondering whether for agenda item four, I think we've actually really gone over those unless there's anything else that anyone wants to question, query about any of the sessions that we've got proposed. I think Jonathan and Hadia are all set. Okay.

So let's go on to five, questions, topics for the ICANN Board, remembering that we're not meeting with the ICANN Board during ICANN 70. We're going to have a 90-minute session with them later. And I think that that's going to be far more interesting and a lot more relaxed, and the questions we provide [haven't been] listed, but Heidi can do that. Thank you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi everyone. If we can click on the link, please, to the questions, Claudia. And you'll see that—thank you again—we did pretty much meet the deadline. There were four questions that were sent to the Board support team, one on the public interest from Marita, Alan submitted a question, we talked about holistic review of ICANN with a potential outcome of significant changes and how we are organizing, how we

conduct business. And basically, he's talking about everyone wants change. Is such a review really possible? And if so, how do we go about it?

Olivier submitted one on the PDPs and the issue of whether ALAC can develop policy as well as policy advice, and Jonathan on Compliance and the PICs.

So those have been sent to the Board, and I believe Gisella and Board ops are in plans to schedule the meeting with the Board the week of April 12. Back over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. That's good. Thank you very much. And it should provide some interesting discussion. So yeah, and I just felt sometimes that the ICANN Board and ALAC meetings during meetings were quite constrained, and so I think that our sessions that we have together with them in our own space will obviously be a lot more enjoyable. Siva, I see you have your hand up.

SIVASUBRAMANIAN MUTHUSAMY:

Yeah. I heard Heidi mention something about a holistic review of ICANN. Is it going to be a communication from ALAC or a recommendation from ALAC to the Board, or is it going to be a session? If it's a session, then is it possible that we can get a lot of the participants of the ATRT team, [stream one and two] to give us a brief overview of the work? Not the details but an overview of what they were looking at and what was excluded and why it was excluded, and what is their notion of

accountability and so on. So with that brief, we can have a discussion on the whole idea of a holistic overview of ICANN.

And that would be particularly relevant in the context of ALAC taking an initiative to develop policy. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Siva. As Heidi says in the chat, these are questions that we're actually posing to the Board, and it's more of a conversation and a discussion rather than any grand in-depth overview [inaudible]. If we wanted to do that, it would be better if more people understood what [that perspective] was so that we have a session, say, in ALT Plus or something to actually look at those views before we actually present them within an ALAC meeting talking to the Board. So I think the conversations will be more general than specific.

So if you have a look at the questions, and we're allowing an hour for our questions and their responses and a discussion, and also giving them time to put forward their question as well to be fair. And I think what we're trying to do is to not make these sessions—it's information, it's talking with the Board and with the Board members who want to come along too, as many as want to come, and that we're actually getting the perspective of different Board members rather than just one person's view, just as we're giving the At-Large community an opportunity to ask their questions as well. But thank you for that, because we'll remember that for another session.

Okay, are there any other questions? Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi. Yes, Maureen. I've just been informed by Christopher Wilkinson that he did send a question in which I've missed, and I apologize for that. It is on the multi-stakeholder model and I'm going to go ahead and put that into the chat. I think it might be able to fit into that of Marita's.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yeah. We might be able to remodel Marita's question then [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, so there it is, it's on the multi-stakeholder model, as I mentioned, and he is basically asking what the Board can do to improve the multi-stakeholder model within ICANN itself, and he is talking about [concentration of the [interest groups proceeding without any apparent review or] restraint by ICANN, policy development is done by incumbent operators to the detriment of new entrants worldwide. What answer can the Board give to those who say that the multi-stakeholder model unrestrained is vulnerable to capture?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. We'll work with Christopher on that question and how we can probably [inaudible] so that it doesn't become a session of itself, especially as a multi-stakeholder model question [is going to be first.] And we're going to have to put timers on to make sure that all the questions can be heard. We're going to have to do a bit of a cutoff. So we don't want to make the questions too complicated so that the Board

goes off on its own little tangent. So we'll look at that question and make sure it's in there somehow. Thank you. Any other questions, queries? Sébastien.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you. Just to say that I am very interested to hear the answer from the Board about the holistic review, but have we an answer for At-Large, except a member of ATRT3? I think we need to have this in-depth discussion within At-Large and ALAC, because we asked the Board what we do, but it's important that we know what we want also. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Excellent. And as we've said, we're setting this for April, assuming we'll have an ALT Plus meeting before that, and we can [inaudible] [and of course the ALAC meeting,] so we can get some conversations started. Thank you. Any other questions or queries? No.

Let's get onto the LACRALO general assembly and what's happening there. Vanda and Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I believe Vanda is an apology today. Gisella, if I can confirm.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, correct.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay, so I can go over the events of the general assembly. So this will be in two weeks. The first event will be on Monday 15th, the very first one, the virtual general assembly which as you know has institutional matters like the annual review, [inaudible] report, achievement of LACRALO.

They will have guest speakers as well, León, Lito, Rodrigo de la Parra, and so that's scheduled for two hours, and the agenda is already posted. I don't think we need to go over the detailed agenda, unless you want to. But the next event will be the capacity building or LACRALO academy, which is being organized with the assistance of the consultant, David Plum, who has been engaged to support LACRALO and he will be working in collaboration with Jose Arce from LACRALO, and they will do this capacity building focusing on building and strengthening skills needed for LACRALO members to participate in policy matters within the ALAC. That's for 90 minutes, scheduled for Wednesday 17 of March.

Then during the ICANN 70 week, they will have the first event, the LACRALO roundtable for 90 minutes, and the title is the strategic plans for the Latin American and Caribbean region 2020, 2021 and 2025, a look to the future. So in collaboration with our colleagues, Rodrigo de la Parra, we are supporting the organization of this event, and it promises to be a very interesting event. They will have invited speakers. Maybe Gisella, if you want to click on the LACRALO roundtable link, I can quickly show you the speakers will be León Sanchez, Lito Ibarra, Ignacio Estrada, general director of LACTLD, Rodrigo de la Parra, Vanda Scartezini, Jacqueline Morris, and it will be an interactive session with questions and answers, and of course, open

to all the community, not only for LACRALO members. So that will be also very exciting, interesting, productive session, I am sure.

The last session will be the LACRALO virtual social event. At the moment, LACRALO members are organizing this very fun event. I think I haven't posted yet, or maybe I did, last night we had a call to organize this. I think it's already posted. Maybe if you can click on the event.

Yes, it's already there. So there is already a draft program, so there will be welcoming remarks, then there will be a music performance by a Mexican dancing group. Alberto is helping us to coordinate that session. Then you know LACRALO is organized in four subregions, so representative of each region will come and say a few words, they will be wearing the typical dress from the countries. So that session will be interactive and they will introduce themselves, talk about their regions, etc. So that's the third block of interaction among all members, and then there will be games like bingo or trivia, some contest—so LACRALO members are in the process of putting together the questions. This is for everybody to be engaged and talk among each other.

And then at the end, there will be closing words by Board members, and of course, this will be open to all the community, so everybody can interact, meet and have a nice relaxing and fun time together. So that's an overview of what LACRALO is planning to offer to the entire community as an entertainment station. That's all. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you very much, Silvia. That sounds really exciting. Sébastien has his hand up.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you very much. I wanted to ask one question. Can I wear my [inaudible]? And [inaudible] it's more a comment. Just a feedback from my knowledge about the roundtable. I know it's very difficult to decide to cut the people, and when we have three speakers in one and a half hour, we almost can't stay on one and a half hour. Therefore, just warning with the number of people you have already in your roundtable, it will be very difficult, because you can't say to León Sanchez, "No, five minutes, stop," and if it takes seven minutes or ten minutes, it will be difficult. And I'm just talking about León because we know him very well, but all the other, it will be difficult. Just take that into account. One and a half hour will not be sufficient. It's from my experience from the two first roundtables organized by EURALO and [the other from the last ICANN meeting.] Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. Very good points. Thank you very much, Sébastien. And I think as we are supporting the organization, I will bring this point to Sergio and others so they can take it into account when preparing for the roundtable. Yes, very good point. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Perfect. Thank you, Silvia. And as I said before, it sounds really good. And it's got so many people involved, I think, that it's one of the really positives of it as well.

Okay, so any other speakers on that session? Okay. Well, Any Other Business. [We're flying through it.] Well, this is fantastic. I think one of the things I wanted to say is really a big thank you to the staff. [Gisella has been working] [inaudible]. So I think we have to be thankful, but it's such a short meeting, but Gisella's been busy getting meeting—trying to make sure that she's meeting the deadlines that are required for us to meet for ICANN. Heidi's been in the background doing a lot of the work that's required there, and Silvia's obvious support that she's giving the LACRALO team, I think it makes it so much easier for everyone who's actually being involved.

But still acknowledging that we've had a year of virtual meetings, almost a whole year, and when it comes to this next ICANN meeting, I think it's starting to take its toll and I really do appreciate that ICANN made it a shorter program because it's still a busy one, and I had to thank everyone for their participation and their interest. It's really good to see so many people here just supporting the people who are actually going to be doing work during the event.

And of course, I know I keep forgetting, but the interpretation services too. Many thanks to them for coming to all these sessions with us and making sure that everybody gets the right information [for what we need.] So thank you all very much. And yeah, we've only got a couple more weeks to go and we're on.

So enjoy the rest of your day. You've got quite a bit of it left, [I've got another meeting in] about 20 meetings, so it would be good to actually have some time to prepare for that. Enjoy your day and take care. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone. Have a good rest of your day.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you everyone. Enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]