

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Leadership Team (ALT-PLUS) Monthly Call on Thursday the 18th of February 2021 at 18:00 UTC.

On the call today, on the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Alfredo Calderon, Andrey Kolesnikov, Sebastien Bachollet, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, Hadia Elminiawi, Joanna Kulesza, Jonathan Zuck, Justine Chew, Lianna Galstyan, Marita Moll, Sarah Kiden, Seun Ojedeji, and Yrjö Lansipuro.

We have received apologies from Satish Babu, Matthias Hudobnik, and Carlos Raúl Gutierrez will be joining us late.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdoğan, Yeşim Nazlar, Michelle DeSmyter, and myself Claudia Ruiz on call management.

We have Spanish and French interpretation on today's call. Our Spanish interpreters are Claudia and Veronica, and our French interpreters are Jacques and Camila.

We also have real-time transcribing on today's call, and I will be putting a link in the chat so you can all follow along.

A friendly reminder to all to please state your name before speaking for the transcription records and so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Also, please keep your microphones muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise. And please speak at a reasonable speed to allow for accurate interpretation.

Thank you all very much, and with this I turn the call over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Claudia, and I hope the interpreters are hearing me okay. I had a few problems this morning. And I just wanted to mention that I think you said Lilian Galstyan. You actually mixed up Lianna and Lilian's names. I just ...

CLAUDIA RUIZ: We have Lilian on Spanish. Correct. Yeah. Lilian on Spanish. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, Lianna. Okay. I just noticed that.

Okay, thank you very much, everyone for being here. [inaudible]. And I just wanted to first of all go through the action items. We should have a big long ... Okay, all righty. Well, none. Okay, awesome.

I'm obviously being very efficient in getting everything done within the meeting. So, that's good. But of course, you will notice that all the action items will be on one page rather than on 100 pages and you can find the actions that you want.

So, we will move on, then, to the next [inaudible]. Okay. Just going through the agenda which I haven't done, this is going to be sort of a working session in that this is an opportunity for people to reach out to leaders and offer their assistance in whatever way.

So, we actually have our work plan activities that are going to be discussed as well as anything that's happening within the RALO that also [inaudible]. For today's session, a side note that Ali hasn't arrived yet. I hope somebody's pinging him to make sure that he does get here. But he is going to be introducing the mentorship program which we've trialed before within APRALO, and it's happening again this year.

And he just wants to introduce it as something that ... I'm very keen that [inaudible]. I think it's a great way of sharing the expertise that we're developing within At-Large, and sharing that amongst our new and coming leaders within our communities and sort of like bringing them to the fore.

Okay. So, that's what we've got. First of all, though, many of you were already on the call that happened just a half an hour ago where we had the ICANN70 planning session, and it's coming along really well. For those of you who weren't able to be here ...

Is Gisella on the call?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Yes. I'm here, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh. Okay, Gisella. Would you like to just give everyone a brief overview of the program as it's happening for ICANN70 [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Maureen. So, ICANN70, as Maureen said, is taking good shape and you may already be aware of the fact that we have rather a minimalistic schedule.

Apologies. I don't seem to be in the Zoom room. So, just running through the schedule, and I'm not sure what we're displaying at the moment. I'll just run you quickly through the week.

I'm going to put in ... Well, I'm not putting it in the chat because I'm not there. But the ICANN70 has got a Wiki page, and on that Wiki page we will be displaying all the necessary information that you require for ICANN70. And as I do have the floor, if I could just remind everyone to please register for ICANN70. Although we're not there in person, it's still very important to register for the meeting to allow you to then get the schedule and to be able to play your ICANN70 participation.

We will have a couple of pre-ICANN70 webinars. Thank you. I'm now in and I can see on the screen. All the details will be displayed on the page that you see for those in the Zoom room. It is the main ICANN70 page. We will have all the prep-week webinars there, the ICANN Org prep-week webinars, as well as any prep sessions that At-Large is running prior to the ICANN70 session meeting running from the 22nd to the 25th of March.

During the 22nd to the 25th of march, the official meeting dates—Claudia, if you would be so kind to click on the Monday—we have couple of AtLarge sessions through the week. And we have three policy sessions. And we have our AFRALO/AfrICANN sessions, as well as the sessions that will be part of the LACRALO General Assembly. And all the sessions are listed on our Wiki pages.

So, starting with Monday, we have ... To start off with, we will have our At-Large Leadership Session: Welcome to ICANN70 as well as Policy Talking Points. Followed by our first At-Large Policy Session which Matthias will be running, which the future of ICANN's mandate and the development of the DNS: Voices of the Next Generation!

As soon as the agenda is finalized, the details will be posted here, and you will be able to see the panelists as well. There we have a description of the session.

Later on in the day, we'll have one of the LACRALO Roundtable sessions. And to end the day, we have the DNS Women Panel.

Going on to Tuesday, the 23rd of March, we have our second At-Large Policy Session which Hadia will be moderating, which is the ICANN Multistakeholder Model: New legislations and regulations, challenges and opportunities.

Again, all information is on the Wiki page. You have a description of the session, and the agenda will be posted, again, when finalized.

You will note that we put the other sessions of interest. For instance, we start the day with the GAC: DNS Abuse Mitigation Discussion. We have kept our schedule free to be able to join that session.

And then following our policy session, we have the Board & GAC Session which we usually attend when in person. So, again, we have kept that slot free.

We have an ICANN Plenary Session that day. I believe that may still be in discussion whether that one is 100% confirmed. And we have a Networking Event followed by the ALAC & GAC meeting which is the last session of the day on the Tuesday.

All the information has already been put on these pages, and as you can see, for instance, the last session I will be adding certain more detail to that. That was just to make sure that we could all work from the Wiki pages and that everyone is comfortable with where the At-Large schedule is posted.

Going on to Wednesday, we'll have our third policy session which is Applicant Support: What Does Success Look Like? Moderators will be Hadia and Jonathan.

As a reminder, that was one of the main ICANN Org plenaries which was submitted which was not selected, so we have brought that in as an AtLarge Policy Session. We have the full description there, and Jonathan and Hadia are working on the agenda and the panelists.

We have the Joint AFRALO-AfrICANN Meeting following that with the LACRALO Social Event ending our day on Wednesday. Again, as we

receive the details of the sessions, we will post them here so please do bookmark this ICANN70 Wiki space.

And on the last day, we have the At-Large Leadership Wrap-Up as, on that day, we have the second ICANN Plenary Session which is Registry Voluntary Commitments: Getting it Right and the Public Forum.

And that is the end of ICANN70. Thank you. Over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Gisella. As you can see, in all the sessions where we [have] got anything, that's usually because there's something else happening around in the rest of the ICANN community that would be of interest to us. So, please bookmark that ICANN70 page so that you can have access to what is on during those weeks. We need to [inaudible].

We have got things in the three weeks before [inaudible] March the 1st. We've got some things on during that week, and then the week starting March the 8th is ICANN prep week. And of course we've got, starting March [15th], we've got some LACRALO events happening on, as well as some [inaudible].

And then, of course, there's the actual ICANN meeting. So, it's a pretty busy month. And, of course, in between all those things we'll probably have our own meetings as per normal, business as usual, going at the same time.

Okay. So, I think we're all set. Does anybody have any questions or queries about ICANN70 that you'd like to bring up here?

I know that, as Gisella mentioned, Hadia and the team that she's working with for the Multistakeholder Model work as well as the session that she and Jonathan are working on, so that if you get shoulder-tapped for an activity, that you will join them and do us proud as always seems to happen.

Sorry, Alan. Yeah. I don't know what's happening. We have had [inaudible] had a storm here that affected our connection or what. So, I'm sort of like, I've got the microphone right in front of my face, in my mouth. So, I'm really sorry about that. I just hope we can get through this session at least. I know, and hopefully I'm not doing all the talking anyway.

Because Ali's not here yet, I think we'll go on to the updates of the activities. And, of course, the first one that we've got is someone who usually has really good connection, and that's Jonathan Zuck and looking at the CPWG and what's on top for them. Thank you. Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Sure. Thanks, Maureen. We just had our most recent CPWG meeting yesterday. We talked a little bit about our meeting with the Contracted Parties House's DNS Abuse Working Group. I think they've grown tired of having so many sessions at ICANN meetings about it that they're trying to take it into a conversational tone which in the end may be beneficial. And so, we had a productive meeting with them as well.

We have some final advice to the Board coming out on the subsequent procedures and on the EPDP Final Recommendations. Alan is doing a draft of some comments on the new European Proposed Regulation,

the NIS 2. And that continues at pace as well. And then Greg and—now I’ve forgotten who else—are working on another comment. Evin, maybe you can remind me the comment that they’re working on because I’m just drawing a blank all of a sudden.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Yeah. Alejandro Pisanty on the SSR2.

JONATHAN ZUCK: On SSR2, exactly. Happy to take any questions. I think most you are on those calls, so I didn’t want to be dragging things out on this call. But feel free to ask questions if you have them.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, we don’t seem to have any questions. Thank you, Jonathan. And good to hear that the session with the GNSO went okay about the DNS abuse.

Okay. So, looking at the operations side of things is Holly. Is Holly on the call? Okay. Is Roberto on the call?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, Maureen. No, we did not have Holly nor Roberto on the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. There’s quite a lot of work happening on the e-mail about the individual members Mobilization Working Party. They’re working very

hard in that area, and no doubt we will get an update on it sometime. There's a lot of work going on in the Operations, Finance, and Budget Working Group.

Oh, that's what I meant to ask, too. Heidi, when do we get any information on the ABRs? When's the next ...?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Maureen. So, the next steps are, as you know, the internal process. And then there is a chance during ICANN70 to discuss with Finance either both fiscal year 22 budget issues as well as possible issues of the ABRs. And then the final approval will be by the Board when they approve the fiscal year 22 budget in May. So, that's really normally when we hear, is May.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

All right, okay. Miles away. Okay. Well, that's [fine]. Just getting an update so that anyone who put in an ABR, you know when that's going to happen.

Okay, so it's a bit of a shame that we haven't got someone from the operations group to speak to us about that. Actually, Cheryl ... Is Cheryl still here? I know she's ...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl's still here.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, Cheryl's still here. Cheryl, how is that small working group that you've got looking at Work Stream 2? How is that going?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: You mean the small team.

MAUREEN HILYARD: The small team.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: The small team within the bounds of the Operations, Finance and Budget Sub-Committee? It's going great guns. Powering along. As you know, the OFB was presented with a small team to work on prioritization of the recommendations relating to the Work Stream 2 Recommendations. We have now moved on and have met, only this week, in fact, with both Alan and Jonathan in their capacity as chairs of both the CCTRT and the RDS Review Teams. And they're now engaged with us in the sifting, sorting, and prioritization of recommendations from their particular work basis.

Following that, we will, of course, move on to the multistakeholder model aspects of things. And we certainly won't be forgetting SSR2 or, indeed the ATRT3 Recommendations. But that's our current state of play.

The ALAC, I would have thought, in its upcoming meeting, may wish to have a little bit of an update or introduction to how we've managed this prioritization exercise, particularly because it will be up to the ALAC to

then accept, or otherwise, our proposal for the OFB. And then someone from the ALAC or the leadership team to broker these issues when it gets mixed and muddled with all the other priorities from all the parts of ICANN.

I think that's it, Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's awesome. But, actually, it just sort of shows that within the operations group, there's a lot going on. Different topics. And I know that, for example, Hadia's drawing on the work that's being done on the multistakeholder model to incorporate into her session for ICANN70.

So, actually, [inaudible] Cheryl's special prioritization group is actually also part and parcel of this new [inaudible]. So, we've got these little subgroups that are actually forming just to specialize on the particular activities that are going on. Okay. So, operations, okay.

Outreach and Engagement. Let's hear from Daniel and Lilian.

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Briefly, during the previous meeting, we handed over the leadership of ICANN70 to LACRALO since it is being handled. And I'm happy to share that at least quite some tremendous milestone have taken place. Like, for example, the Social Media Working Group has already started publicizing the different [frames] which can be used on social media.

And then I'm also happy to report that at least various areas of engagements are taking place. And also regarding other regions, they

have started conducting a bit of capacity building calls [inaudible] Joanna. And at least I'm happy to say that at least, despite the fact that still challenges regarding to COVID is on, but still there is a lot that is being done regarding engagement.

Still, here we are showing the power of collaboration between the Social Media Working Group, Outreach and Engagement, and Capacity Building. And for that I'll keep it brief and short as most of has been discussed in the Social Media Working Group call on Capacity Building.

Thank you. Back to you, Maureen.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Maureen?

ALAN GREENBERG: If you're speaking, we can't hear you.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Yeah. I've given my report. Can you hear me? Hello?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, Daniel. Apologies. It looks like we lost Maureen. One moment.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Heidi, perhaps in the meantime we can have Joanna give an update on the Capacity Building while Maureen reconnects, if that's okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sure. Yes. I'm not sure how long it will take to get Maureen back, but, yes. We can go to Joanna. And if Hadia is on, we could maybe go a little bit on the upcoming webinars. So, Joanna.

JOANNA KULESZA: Yeah. That sounds great. I'm happy to cover for Maureen as long as needed, and I'm certain Hadia is as well. So, indeed, the focus of the Capacity Building Working Group has been on webinars since that seems to be the most available option given we're all working online. And Hadia has been doing a wonderful job in planning our webinars for the coming year.

The ICANN courses are being developed as well, and I want to thank Maureen and Jonathan for doing a wonderful job. I believe that, also, Evin was involved in the editing of the scripts we have for the ICANN Learn courses. So, thank you very much for doing that.

In terms of webinars, it seems as if we are pursuing two paths. I will let Hadia discuss the details of what lies ahead, but generally speaking, it seems as if we are pursuing the usual once-per-month webinar on general capacity building topics that we had selected at the beginning of the year.

And then there is some additional activity that focuses on ICANN70 as we have done previously since the webinars are also attempting to

support our members to give better presentations. And, again, many thanks to Jonathan for supporting that.

I would love to hear from Hadia about the details of our program for the capacity building activities. I know we also have Glenn on the call who's been wonderful in setting up the Virtual School on Internet Governance which is focused on capacity building as well. Not directly related to the working group, but since Alfredo and Glenn have been working on a capacity building within At-Large, that might also be of interest.

So, Hadia, the floor is yours. Thank you very much.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Joanna. So, as Joanna said, we do plan a webinar for each and every month apart from a March and June where we have other webinars related to the ICANN70 and the ICANN71. So, on the 8th of February, we had Lillian De Luque and Alexandra Dans. She's the Communication Director of Latin America and the Caribbean from ICANN. And of course, Lilian is the chair of the Social Media Working Group and Outreach and Engagement for LACRALO.

We had them with the Social Media Best Practice Webinar. It was very well attended. We had, then, Jonathan Zuck on the 15th of February with Creating Promotional Videos in PowerPoint: A Crash Course.

And in April, we are supposed to have Melissa Allgood talking to us about the Consensus Playbook focusing on At-Large. And we have, actually, Melissa presenting to us on our last call, her idea about this

webinar. And she's going to do some modifications and come back to us again on our next call with that.

And then on the 19th of April, we have Jonathan again with Creating Videos with PowerPoint. In May we are supposed to have Sandra Hoferichter with Intercultural Awareness for At-Large. And in July, we have Melissa Allgood again with Facilitation Skills.

So, those are the webinars planned so far. Thank you. Joanna, back to you again.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much, Hadia. I would say that that would cover most of the Capacity Building. If Glenn wants to give an update on the Virtual School, that would also be most appreciated. But if that is not the case, I see that social media is on our agenda. I'm curious if Heidi is taking note of our agenda and action items. Would we want to hear back from Glenn if he is on the call? I think he is. Or should we move swiftly to the social media item here?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hi, Joanna. I do see Glenn on the call. I'm not sure if he's ready to give an update, but that's fine. But we do also have Lilian on the Spanish channel.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Okay. Glenn, if you have the mic, feel free to give us an update on the Virtual School. And if that is not the case ... I'm not hearing back from

Glenn. I would be happy to hand the floor to Lilian, sort of like a baton. Lilian, if you would like to speak about the social media updates, that would be wonderful as well.

Marita. I see a hand up from Marita. Marita, would you like to take the floor?

MARITA MOLL:

Thank you, Joanna. I'm just thinking and noticing that NPOC is also doing a webinar a week, sort of. I don't know. Was there any coordination going on between our group and theirs? You know, they're doing different topics, obviously, but I don't know whether our webinars are being promoted on their system. I know that I've seen information about their webinars coming across our lists. I just hope that, you know ... There could be some cross-fertilization [there]. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much, Marita. That is a very good point. There has not been any coordination thus far. I'm happy to reach out to Ioana and figure out whether we might want to join forces. My understanding was that these would be more targeted at the NPOC Community looking at the very—how shall I put it—detailed perspective that NPOC might have. I would, indeed, be inclined to reach out to Ioana and see if there's any synergy. My understanding is that both our webinars and their program are open to everyone who's willing to participate. So, that is a very good point.

Marita, I see your hand is up, and please feel free to take the floor. But an action item taken. I will try to coordinate with NPOC. That is a very good point.

MARITA MOLL:

Yeah. They are open to anyone. I've attended some of them. I didn't find them unique to NPOC. I got just a lot of general information here that might be of interest to people who are new. And, you know, it helps people even at ALAC to understand how I can works, basically. So, I don't see it as irrelevant, and I'm sure that some of our stuff is not irrelevant for them either. Just a question of cross-fertilization. Do they know about our stuff? Do they get the information?

JOANNA KULESZA:

Great comments, Marita. Thank you. That will be taken into account. Thank you very much for raising this.

I see two hands up. I see Lilian's hand is up, and I see Alfredo's hand is up. I would start with Lilian and then over to you, Alfredo. Lilian, go right ahead.

Lilian, if you're speaking, you're on mute. I can't hear you. I understand that there's a translation coming your way, but that is not happening yet.

LILIAN DE LUQUE BRUGES:

Hello. Can you hear me?

JOANNA KULESZA: Yes. That is working perfectly. Go right ahead.

LILIAN DE LUQUE BRUGES: Okay. Thank you very much. The Social Media Working Group is now complying with the schedule that was prepared for all the activities that we have planned before ICANN70. As Hadia already said before, we held the first webinar and then there was another webinar. We also had different, several meetings. We also have standing activities still going on, and I would like to highlight that we have a good participation of fellows and NextGen in our activities.

Today we have the deadline in order to get all the pictures for our promo video in order to get that information back to Jonathan so that, at the end of February, we could have our first promotional video in the four languages, that is English, French, Spanish, and Portuguese.

And we're also launching a Doodle poll this week in order to hold a meeting. We are going to have sorts of assessment or evaluation just to see how we are going on and what's still pending. And we are also correcting the images for a second video that we are going to create. So far we have Maureen, Lito Ibarra, Rodrigo de la Parra. So, that is going to be a different video, so to speak in order to focus and highlight At-Large and its sessions during ICANN70.

And according to what we do and according to our discussions in our next meeting, we're going to continue with the next steps. And I'm

going to update you on our next steps in the future. But this is the information that we have so far.

So, I would like to thank you all for all the support that you have given us. So, this is my comment. If you have questions, I'm open to receive questions. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much, Lilian. With your permission, I will keep standing in for Maureen until she's back. Thank you very much for that update.

I see Alfredo's hand is up. And I've also been informed that Ali would be able to give us an update on the mentorship program. [We still might just be aligned.]

Alfredo, go right ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Thank you. A couple of comments. First one is, I agree with Marita. We should be able to let the rest of the constituencies or community of ICANN aware of our webinars. And I have also participated in a couple of the webinars that NPOC has had, and they're quite general. And I've been participating as well since I'm a mentor. I'm asking my mentees to participate in those as well so that they can get to learn about other communities and constituencies within the ICANN community.

The other thing, since Glenn is shy today for some reason, and you asked for a couple of words on the Virtual School of Internet Governance. As most of you might be aware, we are holding our third

cohort of 100 students. So far it's been very good. Well received by the community. We got great feedback.

And, although we're not touching, directly, ICANN as part of the core of the modules, we actually have had invited guests from ICANN and from all over the ecosystem. We had Marita at one point. We had Naela, the VP from Global Stakeholder, Global Engagement from North America. Eduardo has participated as well. Joanna also participated, and we're hoping to have her in another round.

As a highlight, we had Steve Crocker in line for the next cohort. And in this past week we had one of the fathers of the Internet, Vint Cerf, as one of the invited guest speakers. For the next couple of cohorts, we already are going up to September. We have Robert Kahn as one of the invited guest speakers.

And as you all know, we have weekly invited guest sessions where we talked on different topics regarding the Internet governance ecosystem including ICANN, ISOC, and all the rest of the constituencies and organizations that have to deal with policies.

Eventually, we're going to invite somebody from the CPWG to talk about what's being done on that group as well. So, I just wanted to mention those things. Thank you.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much, Alfredo. If Ali is ready, I would love to hear an update on the mentorship program as well in terms of the capacity building efforts.

And I also see Roberto is with us. I recall Maureen looking forward to the update on the Unaffiliated Individuals Mobilization Group.

So, if Ali might be able to take the floor, we would love an update on the mentorship program. And then possibly go back to our operations agenda item and hear from Roberto.

Ali, if you're ready to take the floor, I would be happy to give it to you.

ALI ALMESHAL:

Thanks a lot. Thanks, Joanna. Yes, I'm ready. If we can just run the presentation. Fantastic. So, this is our proposed mentorship program. And as you know, we have run, a couple of years back, one with the APRALO. It was very much a successful program. That's why we are now looking to pilot this on the RALO itself and then back into how we can extend it across to all the RALOs. So, if we can just move to next slide, please.

So, the goal and vision out of the mentorship program itself is to provide the leadership with a mentoring program that will help develop leadership potential of our ALSes. So, basically we are looking at how we can engage more with our ALSes, how we can get them engaged with us and get them more active with all the activities that we are doing. Next slide, please.

So, the proposed mentoring timeline. Actually, because I have started on this a bit earlier [in February] until I get [inaudible]. So, I think we'll be moving it to March, starting in March not in February. So, we'll be opening the application for mentors and mentees receiving them. And

then on next month, we'll be assigning those mentors to the mentees that have been selected and who have joined the program.

And then we'll be continuing with the program itself starting on the Month after. Not April. It will be in May. And then for six months the program will be running until we end up with the evaluations. Can we move next, please?

So, the program itself takes five steps or five stages: the Design stage, Attract, Connect, Guide, and Evaluate. And I will go through those steps now in a bit of detail. Next slide, please.

So, the goals. It clearly mentions we have around five points that we need to [mix into] to when it comes to the design of the goals: future-proofing quality of leadership that we are aiming for, succession plan, enhancing professional relationships, providing the RALO leadership team with a better perspective of ALSes. Next slide, please.

And creating a culture of retention. So, as you all know, the main objective is how we can keep our ALSes engaged with us, how we can keep them active. So, everything we do around this, first of all, for them to be aware about what we are doing and what we want them to get engaged and how we can get the best out of them. Next slide, please.

This is the guidelines and expectations from the program itself. So, there should be an agreement and achievement goals and KPIs between the mentors and mentees. And in principle, there should be something, a design agreement, between what we are doing and mentor and mentees, what we are looking for to achieve from each other. Next slide, please.

So, here we'll be doing sort of matching between the mentors and mentees—and profiling. Sorry. We'll have different genders, different academic profiles, qualifications, different interests and affiliations, and related background from the experience of the mentors and mentees that we are working with. Next slide, please.

This is the benefits that we are promoting for this program and how would we attract both participants from the mentees and the mentors. So, there would be training, learning environment, personal development. It's something that we have done in the ATLAS III. That was a very successful program, more or less similar to what we are doing, but here is a bit different.

But the mentorship program and the guidance and the personal development was part of ATLAS III, and we would like to have it part of this as well based on the expertise that we will be having within this program. Next, please.

But then we go on the connect and here where we are matching. And then we have the examples of mentoring styles. So, individuals who work together. Then we have the groups or networking. So, this is where we will be matching the mentees and mentors, and then the style of mentoring and taking care of the mentees by the mentors. Next, please.

The relationship. You can read with me. At the first meeting, mentors and mentees will learn about each other and how best they can work together. Their common interests, their potential problems, goals. And then they have to set up a regular time for follow up.

Now, as you know, with this pandemic we don't know when we will have face to face, but it will continue for six months with the virtual meetings and follow up. Next, please.

The guide for mentoring experience. The mentoring experience will be a rewarding one as long as mentors and mentees have clearly defined objectives. Normally, they attend and respect the timing for the meeting with their mentors, and they don't take each other for granted.

The mentorship. Maybe I need to highlight here. Last time we had the super-mentor. Cheryl was taking care of [giving us] the high-level guidance on how would we move, and I'm sure she will not save any effort to support us in going forward with this as well. Next, please.

This is the last step where we will be evaluating what we have done and where we have achieved what we were looking for, and where we can adjust even for the next mentorship or going forward.

With this, I'm done. If any inquiries or any questions, I'm happy to take them. Thanks a lot.

JOANNA KULESZA:

I see Maureen is back. I'm thrilled to give the floor back into the safe hands of our chair. Maureen, just letting you know Roberto managed to join us, and I was indicating you might want to go back in the agenda to let him give us an update. But I'm thrilled to give you the floor. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Thank you very much. I hope you can hear me. I'm actually still on the phone bridge, but fortunately able now to connect to my Internet and onto the Zoom thing. And thank you so much, Joanna. I was just listening in to all the conversations that were happening before. And thank everybody for the contributions during the section on the capacity building. And also to Ali.

So, do we have any questions and that for Ali? I see Eduardo's got his hand up.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Maureen. Ali, I have a question for you on this forum. Well, a couple of questions. One is, this is a new program in your region? And if not, what motivated you to do this now? And secondly, is all this program geared to be done virtually? Thank you.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Eduardo, and nice to hear from you. Long time. Yes, maybe, maybe. If you get my first statement, we have done this before, I think three years back. We have done our first APRALO Mentorship Program, and it was very much a successful program. That's why we said we want to repeat this again now. And we want to capitalize on the ATLAS III ambassadors. Plus now, the whole change that happened within the Outreach and Engagement/Capacity Building.

This time you can see much more active working groups on the Outreach and Engagement and Capacity Building where those can be used and utilized for running the mentorship programs.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you.

ALI ALMESHAL: You're most welcome.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Eduardo. Eduardo, is that another question that you have with your hand up, or you okay with it?

EDUARDO DIAZ: This is an old hand. Sorry.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, thank you. Yes, as Ali explained, it was a program that we ran a couple of years ago. And it was successful in that many of the people who were mentees, I can assure you, are excellent and active and will make very good mentors this time around. And so, we just have seen the value of it, and I'd really like to see more of it.

And of course, we have our main mentor, Alfredo, with his hand up. I'm sure he's got a great contribution to make. Thank you, Alfredo.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, sure. I do have a question for Ali in terms of the outcomes of that previous initiative or group of mentees that went through the program. How many have actually requested or applied for the Fellowship

Program after that? And do we have some sort of report that we could look at? Thank you.

ALI ALMESHAL: Thanks, Alfredo. Yes, we have the number of who has participated, and then even they have progressed even more into the APRALO leadership. And their participation in the fellowship as well. I don't have them on hand right now, but we have them. We have all of this data.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Sorry for having another question. But, Ali, I'm asking this because it would be great if you get in touch with them, if you have them through a mailing list, make sure that they are aware that we, the mentors in the Fellowship Program, are also available to help them out. Even though we might not be representing your community or your region, we're also here for all of them. Thank you.

ALI ALMESHAL: Definitely, Alfredo. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alfredo. I guess when we're talking ... This is like two or three years ago and I'm sort of like looking at it from how people have developed. The people who we were looking at was also to do with leadership. And a lot of people who came onto our mentor/mentee program had actually been through the fellowship anyway.

And for example, Lianna and Nadira who are now both our vice-chairs within APRALO were mentees in that particular instance. And they are very experienced fellowship people. So, it wasn't so much going through an introductory thing. It was actually looking at leadership within the region.

And I think that as we're concentrating on our ATLAS III participants as well as any others within the RALOs who actually apply, it is also to strengthen their interest in—for example, within the ALT-PLUS, strengthen interest in the key strings of At-Large and their involvement in it; for example, policy and operations and Outreach Engagement.

And it's also been strengthened by what's actually happening within our RALO and other RALOs where there is regionally based policy activity happening, as well as the Outreach and Engagement work. And getting them more involved in that.

So, the mentorship is supposed to be ... As you are doing, it starts from within the RALO and then branches out towards At-Large and then into the wider ICANN community. And so, this is what we would like to see more of within our membership. And just making it a growth thing, I think, for us all.

So, no other questions or queries on that program? It's something that we're going to be, and Ali will be, taking it even deeper within the Outreach and Engagement arena as well.

Okay. So, let's move on. And thank you very much, Joanna, for passing that baton that was thrown at you when I dropped off.

But are there any RALO updates? I guess Ali sort of introduced a RALO perspective already, but are there any other exciting things happening within the other RALOs? We've had an update from the LACRALO.

Oh, hang on. Yes, we do. We do. We have Roberto. I forgot. So, RALO leaders, I think, Sébastien's got his hand up. Sébastien, if you can just hold on for just one minute while we actually get this update from Roberto because I know he's working very hard with his working party. They're all working very hard on those issues. So, Roberto, if you'd like to give your presentation now.

ROBERTO GAETANO:

Yes. Thank you, Maureen. I have posted in the chat the URL of the newer version of the document that's dated yesterday that has the most current updates. We are in the final dash. There are no open issues. We are in the process of word smithing the report and trimming the details.

We are also compiling a list of the issues that were raised during the discussion, but they were out of scope for the working party, that we decided to put as a sort of memo, as a list of things to take into account for further development.

So, we are going to have the next meeting on Monday at 18:00 UTC, and I expect to have a final agreement on the document there even though we might have some terms checking the format and all these things that can take another week or so. The good thing is that there's no open issue. There's no open question. So, all the basics have been solved.

And we will be able, on Tuesday just after the meeting, to send to the RALOs an advanced copy that has all the all the fundamentals of the report even though we might continue doing that little changing a word here and there to make it ... cosmetic details.

So, that's basically it. If you have questions, I can answer them.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Any questions from anyone? Thank you, Roberto. That's great. [Also now,] probably half the people here are on your team anyway attend your calls, they know all about it, but it's really good to get the summary.

Okay. Now I did see two hands up from two RALO chairs. One was Sébastien first, and then Seun. Sébastien, do you want to speak now?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes. Thank you very much, Maureen. Just to be sure that you all know about our second monthly roundtable by EURALO. It will be around Internet and jurisdiction domain name issues, and we will have the pleasure to have, as the guest speaker, Bertrand de la Chapelle who will talk about action at the DNS Level to address abuses: is this appropriate.

We will have Dan Svantesson who will talk about ICANN jurisdiction and private international law – Internet governance by contract.

And finally, Uta Kohl who will talk about Jurisdiction and public international law. And all this roundtable will be moderated by our [celebrated] Joanna Kulesza. And she will be helped by Máté Mester

who will do the summary. For me, it's important to mention him because it's a way to have some mentoring by Joanna to help him to run the next roundtable in future months.

Thank you very much for your attention.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sébastien. Yes. A good chance to do some advertising. And that session sounds really exciting. And, of course, with Joanna running it, it will be terribly, terribly, terribly exciting. So, please support our other RALOs and activities that they're actually involved in as well. That's really awesome.

Now, Lianna, just before you go, Seun, your hand was up earlier. Did you want to say something at this particular point in time?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes, please. At AFRALO, we are also doing a launch of our webinar series which we call the Webinar Series 2021. The webinar series itself will contain ... The first month would have to do with an actual capacity building-related webinar. And then the alternate months will have to do with an activity-related webinar. One way or the other, it's still building capacity, but one is going to be purely [topic-based] and the other one's going to be on certain activities.

So, we will be starting our first webinar this month, specifically on Wednesday the 24th. If the date still remains, we will be starting with actually a statement. As you know, we normally have an AfrICANN/AFRALO meeting during the ICANN meeting and we normally

produce a statement. So, this time around we want to use the opportunity to generate some engagement or discussion, not just on the mailing list but on the webinar for the statement that will be presented in ICANN70.

That's that for the webinar series. We would also be having a continuation to the rules of procedure for our region which is currently ongoing now that the individual membership of ALAC, the working party, has been almost rounding up at ALAC level. The working group that are working on our rules of procedure review that contains the [inaudible] individual membership [that will be] continuing their work. And hopefully they will [be rounding up soon enough.]

I should mention, as well, that the effort of the webinars is actually with the leadership of [inaudible] Bram, and Bram is our Outreach and Engagement co-chair. And, of course Tijani to support, to lead in that effort, of course. The entire leadership will also be a blessing and be supporting on the effort.

So, we would like to see how it goes. We're trying it out for the first time, specifically in this format. And we'd like to see how it goes within our community. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Just wondering if we should put those webinars into our ... It is capacity building, so I'll speak to Joanna and Hadia and see if we can incorporate it into our ... Thank you, Joanna. Whatever is actually being developed as a webinar should actually be kept as part of our toolkit, and that

people can access it when they can. But thank you very much for doing that.

Lianna, your hand is up and you may take the floor.

LIANNA GALSTYAN:

Thank you, Maureen. I just wanted to share briefly about the APRALO activities, what we have in our mind and what we do. And I want to thank my colleagues Sébastien and Seun for sharing their experiences, what they do.

Actually, what I see ... We have a common in our approaches of having webinars or some roundtables on different topics. We kind of have the same approach. We decided for this year to invite guest speakers on various topics every month, and we successfully started January by inviting MAG chair, Anriette, to talk about and brief about the IGF that happened last year.

And for month's APRALO call which was today, we had a guest speaker from India. And he talked about the end user implication [on the] privacy issue changes on WhatsApp. So, we wanted to widen a little bit of topics beyond the scope of ICANN interests and topics, but still those things that are very important from an end user perspective.

And we also asked our participants, ALS members, to generate and submit the topics that they would like to hear. And based on those interests, we would invite speakers every month. And also, we would feature that in our newsletters.

And, of course, we presented this mentorship program that Ali has presented. And just since I have this opportunity to tell a little bit and say a couple of words about that program that we discussed a little bit earlier. That was very successful, and I say that I'm really very pleased and honored to be one of those participants. And I still value it and see that we can actually bring new people and, well, new leadership into the At-Large.

That's the update from me. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Lianna. And, yeah, one of shining lights from our last mentorship program.

Okay. So, are there any other questions or queries, or anything to add from the RALOs? No?

Eduardo, who have you got as your next speaker for your next session? have you organized that yet? Just out of a interest, as we happen to be going through.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Are you giving me the floor, or are you telling me something?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes. Yes, I am. I am giving you the floor. Yeah.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much, Maureen. I was just very happy and very excited hearing one of those roosters that you have there. [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD: He's very wet outside there, I tell you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: In any case, NARALO will continue with our engagement plan. That's basically doing capacity building and engagement. We have been doing that for the past seven months. This year we started talking more about DNS abuse. We have Bill Jouris talking about IDN and some of these [total mess] there that will can be used for DNS abuse. And then we have a practical guide from Jonathan on DNS abuse [next time.]

However, [inaudible]. Our March meeting will be mostly about reporting because we want to go back to the regional report—CPWG, OFBWG, the ICANN70. And we're going to present some results from this engagement plan. Basically we want to know if we have engaged more members since July of last year. And not only in our meetings, but in the CPWG. So, we're going to be presenting those numbers on our next meeting.

So, basically that's what we have. We're going to continue to do that after March. We're going to continue with the engagement plan as planned. Thank you. I'm here for any questions.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Any questions? Okay, so I guess it's a time for reflecting back on evaluating the programs. That's good. And also, it's good that other RALOs are actually taking up the bat and widening their scope as AFRALO and APRALO. And, of course, with EURALO. Just offering that little bit more of widening the scope of understanding and raising awareness of the really wide scope of work that we're involved in. Awesome.

Okay. Nearly, nearly. So, we're winding up now. There are no further RALO updates. Just looking at this number 8. There's a little meeting, session being held with ICANN Org looking at a Strategic Outlook Trend Session. And they wanted only 30 people. So, I think it's really quite bizarre that that they're actually putting a limit. We did ask if we might be able to expand the number, but they've been quite adamant. 30 is the limit for when they talk to our group.

So, I have made it that when we have our ALAC and our ALT-PLUS Leadership team, the actual leadership team, that makes up 30. So, that seemed a pretty easy kind of invite list. And it is looking at a strategic outlook for ICANN and it made sense. So, it's 30 people and it's only in English. So, if there is anyone who gets this invite and can't attend, please let us know so that we can slot in some others who are very keen on speaking to ICANN Org about the strategic direction for ICANN moving into the future.

So, yeah. That's just something I thought I'd mention just in case you find out that there's been a meeting and you didn't get invited. There was a reason for that, and it's out of our control but it's going to be ...

[Heidi's saying the meeting's going to be next week,] so if you're in the ALAC or an ALT-PLUS and you don't think you're going to be able to make it next week, please let us know so that we can find some people who might be interested.

Okay. Next is the next call. We'll let you know. ALT-PLUS usually in the middle of the month, but of course with next month being so busy with the ICANN70, we might have to rethink how we do that because having the ALT-PLUS and the ALAC meeting in amongst all that's going on. We'll work out a schedule and let you know.

We do have the next meeting. I think it is in mid-March or something, The 15th or something like that. And an important meeting because one of the first things is that we're organizing for ALAC meetings and we should have a guest speaker, but this time we've got two. The first one is the Director of Language Services, and then that actually demonstrates the new integrated Zoom interpretation.

And they're using our meeting to actually trial it, and so they will be sitting in. They're going to introduce it, and then they're going to sit in and observe how it actually operates within our meeting. That's an awesome advance on that Zoom interpretation that we've all been asking questions about.

And, of course, then we've got John Crain who is an old friend of AtLarge. But he's also coming in, too, to talk to us about the domain abuse activity reporting project that he's involved in which really fits in with our whole DNS abuse topic that we [get mad about.]

Eduardo, have you got your hand up again? Do you have a question?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes. I wanted to comment on number 8, the Outlook Trend Session. I know the objective of that is to identify trends, but my question is ... So, what's happening next? Why are we doing this? What's the purpose of identifying trends? What is ICANN going to do with that? That's my question.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Extremely good question, Eduardo, that I cannot answer. As soon as they put limits on the number of people who can come to a meeting, you have to wonder what they're doing. But, hey, that's ICANN. And, yeah. So, if you're interested in looking at future trends, please come. If you're not, let us know so we can put someone else in who would be quite interested. And it doesn't matter. Some of just go because we have to go.

Marita.

MARITA MOLL: In response to Eduardo. What are they doing with this information? Partly, it's information that they collect that they use in order to figure out where to go in the next budget. Where to put some dollars and not other dollars. That's how I understand this kind of strategic trend analysis. Taking a look at how the market is moving and where they have to pay attention to how things are changing. And that's partly what it is, I think.

My other question was about Glenn put something interesting in the chat about a North American strategic analysis thing, and I'm wondering if we [inaudible] more information on ...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I haven't heard any more about that. I haven't heard any more about that particular group. But that's a NARALO thing, and I thought that Eduardo might know a little bit more on it.

Eduardo, do you have any other information about that?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I know our VP really was looking for people to volunteer to participate in developing this strategic plan for the North America region. I haven't seen my e-mail, so Glenn says that she sent ...

Apparently, she activated the committee, but that's as far as I know. It's that call that you received. And if you have read the newsletter from ICANN, she's coming out there. Naela's there and [said] she's getting volunteers to help her in putting together this meeting, to get feedback or working on building this strategic plan for North America. I guess that's [inaudible].

MARITA MOLL: Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I hope that helps, Marita.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Maureen, there's a Doodle out now to pick a time for next week to have our first meeting. And if you want to come, e-mail Joe Catapano and he'll get you on the list.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Okay. Thank you for that, Judith. Olivier's had his hand up for ages. Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. So, that's another any other business. So, have we reached that point?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I just wanted to say that I noticed Theresa Swinehart started ages ago looking at strategic trends and that sort of thing. And then suddenly we've come to this. So, yeah. And I agree with everyone. They'll be looking at forward thinking, as Heidi says, the strategic planning, operating plan and budget.

And maybe [inaudible] can say that we've actually contributed to the to the planning by having the session. So, again, we just have to go along and see what happens. And so, that will end that discussion.

And let's go on to yours, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Maureen. So, I have two points just to bring forward. One is to do with the ITI, the Information Transparency Initiative. As some of you might know, I and a few other At-Large have been involved in this. This is all to do with the consolidation and improvement of the ICANN websites.

And one of the things that they're working on at the moment is some activity to try and design and have a system by which there would be a content subscription feature. So, people would be able to subscribe to specific content, and the information would then be curated automatically by, I guess, artificial intelligence or by some kind of algorithm or something. And one would be able to then just get the content that pertains to their interests.

I think that's something that's really important for At-Large because we probably would have a lot of people that would be interested in subscribing to such lists rather than having their mailboxes is filled up. So, just to let you know this is in the works at the moment. It's in testing stage. They don't know when it will be ready, but certainly early testing is now taking place. So, that's one thing to look forward to.

The second thing is more of an announcement, and I haven't heard anyone mention it. And I think it's important because of the nature of the webinar itself. There's an ICANN Stakeholder's [inaudible] briefing by the European Commission on the recent EU initiatives on the digital services and on cyber security.

Now, why is it important? I would say personally that's very important because it is the first time that there is actually a set of government

representatives—so, here, being the European Commission—that is coming to speak specifically to the At-Large community and answer their questions. And it's going to touch on the Digital Services Act, the EU Cyber Security Policy Initiatives such as the Cyber Security Strategy and the Revised Network and Information Security Directive.

Some of that pertains directly to WHOIS data. And as you know, AtLarge has been involved—through Alan and Hadia, has been involved in the designing of the Next Generation Registration Data Services of some sorts. I don't even know how to call it, or what to call it.

But certainly, the documents and the work that's currently taking place in the Commission might affect ICANN in the same way as the GDPR has affected ICANN. And it's interesting to see that there is a now ... Rather than just having things sent from organization to organization, there is this attempt to also involve the ICANN community.

So, I really hope that we'll have a good showing of At-Large people in this because we are, at the end of the day, the primary impacted people. This is registrants' data, and so registrants of domain names but also Internet end users who need to find out the validity of a domain name, etc. Very hot topic and very interesting. That's all. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, yeah.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And I think that the announcement has been sent to the mailing list, by the way. But I just want to make sure that the people on this call who

are the leaders At-Large are able to push this with their community and explain it to their community. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. So, if that link can be sent out ... Just to make sure that people are aware. Yeah. When you put it this way, Olivier, it really does make sense that it is very important to us.

Okay. So, I think it came up in an e-mail from EURALO, anyway. Did it not? Sébastien, was it you that sent out that message? Or was it Joanna? Someone. So, we don't want to—

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Staff sent it to the Consolidated Policy Working Group mailing list. I'm not sure whether it actually made it to the ALAC Announce. I don't know that. Staff would know better.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's probably where I got it. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Okay. Well, I think it needs to go out a little bit further afield then, if all the RALOs are going to have a little bit of a discussion about it. That would be really good.

Okay. So, hey. It's 9:30 my time, of course. 9:30 AM, still raining outside. So, time for us to close the meeting. And we have just come to the end of it anyway.

So, thank you so much. Everyone stayed here. Really awesome. So, let's all have a great rest of the day or night wherever you are. And keep safe and dry.

Thank you very much, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]