
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good afternoon, good evening, everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Board Meeting Call on Thursday, February 4th, 2021 at 23:00 UTC.

In the call today, in the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Harold Arcos, [inaudible], Augusto Ho, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, Marcelo Rodriguez, and Sylvia Herlein Leite. We have received apologies from Humberto Carrasco.

For the staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, who will also be the call manager.

We have interpretation in English and French. Our interpreters in English are Claudia and David; and in French, Claire and Jacques.

Before starting, I will ask all of you, please, to state your name before taking the floor. And please mute your mics while not speaking so as to avoid any background noise.

Thank you very much. So now, Sergio, you have the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Claudia. I will ask Harold to please read the agenda out loud. And then we're going to work for 60 minutes discussing some topics that are related, first of all, to each working group, and updates from each working group. Most of the Latin America and the Caribbean are in summertime, so there's not much work to be reported, perhaps. But there are some topics that are really important. And I know there's 60 minutes which we are left.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So, Harold, please take the floor and read the agenda out loud.

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me okay?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we do.

HAROLD ARCOS: Okay. So, for today, according to our agenda, we have the working group reports. Each working group will have a report: Domains and Their Relationship with Users, WHOIS and GDPR, Multilingualism and IDNs, Communications, and Capacity Building.

Item #5 is ALAC member reports, our ALAC members of LACRALO. And then item #6, Sergio wants to discuss about the General Assembly to be held during ICANN70. And finally, the 5-year strategic plan.

I don't know if there is any other business to be included. You may raise your hand right now or write it down in the chat. Or you may wait for the call to reach item #8.

I can see no hands up. [Nothing in] chat, so we consider the agenda approved. Thank you very much. Sergio, you have the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Harold. So, now we will start with the update from the working groups. I know that some working groups have been working. I

heard something about Multilingualism and IDNs. So, Sylvia, you have the floor. Please give us an update about the work of that working group. Thank you.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

Thank you very much, Sergio. As a matter of fact, I started this year at full steam, so I'm trying to motivate, asking people, telling them we are in February so it's good that you have a nice rest. We started a new year.

In our group, we have two subgroups. One action item from last year was what we called the LACTLD project. This project could not move forward because LACTLD did not answer to us. But we have the project on the Wiki page and you can check there, that lack of response of LACTLD.

So, we decided to get in touch with each of the ccTLDs of the region on an individual basis. We wanted LACTLD to help us bridge the gap so that they may help us get connected with the ccTLDs, but there was no response. So, we sent very good information to them. Our work was really very interesting, and we want to close this project. So, we still have very good information on our region and to understand a bit more.

We know that, in LACRALO, we have the intention of representing end users, and we want to get in touch with the ccTLDs and with the whole DNS industry. So, we are going to make our best effort and get in touch with each ccTLD in our region.

On the other hand, we have the other subgroup that is Universal Acceptance. Last year, we worked really very hard. We held several meetings. The idea was to launch two courses in November. One was Universal Acceptance for technical people—developers and hosting people, the students of ICT. But, well, there no possibility of doing it in November. Then we had year end, and we decided that it will be held in April after ICANN70.

As you know, we have three different groups of LACRALO involved in this. And the Communications Working Group needs some time so as to advertise the course. Our idea is not only to reach the LACRALO's ALSes, but to open it up so as to widen the scope. LACRALO will be the bridge to the whole technical community and to all people interested in this topic.

So, the working group led by Marcelo Rodriguez now needs some considerable time. So, we decided that this would be held after ICANN70, and we are going to use all our participation in ICANN70 so as to advertise this course, to speak about it. And we know it will be really very important. It will be a [full week] course, two hours each day. So, all stakeholders may be able to actually learn in a useful way because it will not be a webinar. It will be a course.

So, we are fine-tuning the schedule. And we know that it's not a very widely-known subject, so there will be a webinar explaining what the course will be about. So, until April, we're going to work on a webinar so as to advertise and promote and to, let's say, inform the promotion of this course so as to attract people.

Silvia is saying, “When will the first webinar be held?” We haven’t decided yet. Next Wednesday, Silvia, we will meet with the speakers so as to discuss the syllabus and then I will be able to give you an exact date. And, of course, I will share with you the availability of interpretation. And so after next week, it will be clearer for us and we might organize it.

Additionally, apart from this course, this course is addressing to a technical training for the LACRALO region. And also, the result of this course, the outcome will be to have one or two ambassadors of Universal Acceptance for our region.

Mark Datysgeld is no longer an ambassador for our region because now he has some other commitments in ICANN in other constituencies. So, we have no ambassador. So, our top priority is that one of the outcomes of this call is that people get trained and may feel comfortable by being ambassadors, whether a man or a woman—thank you very much, Harold, for pointing that out—for our region because it’s a marvelous region, a very wide [and expansive] region. But we have no ambassador. This is also one of the goals of this course.

So, our working group has started working at full steam, as I said before. Thank you very much for listening, and I’m here to answer all your questions.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Can you hear me?

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Yes, we do.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. I have some questions regarding Sylvia's presentation. First of all, to be clear of why this meeting is held today, the meeting should have been held on Tuesday, and today we should have had the meeting for the General Assembly. Sorry. Not for the General Assembly. For the strategic plan.

But certainly ... I got confused, so it was the other way around. So, this is the Board of Directors of LACRALO and our idea is to fine-tune all of our work. So, even though we discuss the same topics, the idea is that each of us may point something out.

Claudia, would you please help me with the screen and go back to Sylvia's working group? Sylvia, I need to check what all members [inaudible] IDNs. Can you scroll down to the list of participants? Yeah, and that working group, Multilingualism and IDNs. Okay.

So, we have a very long list of people that said that they would participate. First of all, Sylvia, how many of these people are working actively?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Shall I speak the truth?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yeah. It's like going to the doctor, you know. You have to be naked because we need to understand what is going on. How many people are actually participating?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: I sent a message to our WhatsApp group yesterday, and only you answered to my message in that WhatsApp group.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: But you work individually or you work in the group? Is the group dead?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: No. I sent it to the group yesterday, and only two people answered. But this list, of course, has to be cleansed. Number 8, for instance.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yeah, yeah. Reina and Carlos. So, we have to ask them whether they want to continue being part of the working group or not.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Reina is the wife of Carlos Leal. So, I think that both of them should be out. This is why last year, for 9 and 13, I wrote "inactive" because they never answered any e-mail. So, perhaps at the time, we are starting a new year, we should send another e-mail so that people may confirm.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We are going to discuss this group-by-group because we need to know where we are standing. The working group is to agree on certain topics, so it's not to discuss [inaudible] that we need to work individually. I mean, we need a mailing list, and you have to write the first [version]: "Tomorrow we're going to meet. Are you going to be there?" It's just one message to a mailing list. We have to work on a one-by-one basis.

Perhaps some of them may come back and may come active. I'm participating in 67 things, and I just ... [Your answer] was to eliminate what appears [in the] WhatsApp group. You know that if you send an audio, there's no way out. "You should write to me," but no audio. No audio? Please. Write. Write down and say, one by one, "We're going to meet tomorrow. Yes or no?" So, they will say, "Yes ... no ... I have a tennis match," whatever.

We need to put it in black and white so as to know what we have because in LACRALO, we have 61 organizations. But I think that only 20 are active. So, if only 20 are participating, okay. It will be 20 active because it's not just going once a month or attending a call and saying, "I'm active." No, that's not right. So, I will ask working group by working group. We need to cleanse this.

So, we should have a mailing list. Each of you have a mailing list for each of our groups. So, let's send a message because certainly, I'm fed up of the [inaudible] of ICANN.

This is just a tick, and this is not our logic. Our logic is for people to participate, so being active. I don't know what ICANN thinks about that. We in LACRALO should be clear.

And this is for you, Augusto. You should follow this path next year. Let's not start just trying to tick all boxes. We need people participating. [inaudible], "Yeah. There are four working groups working, "and as a matter of fact, it's just one or two that are actually working.

So, let's be truthful. And what is working should be working. We need to take a snapshot. Jose Arce is not with us, unfortunately, but we need a snapshot of LACRALO so we can clearly see where we are right now.

Thank you very much, Sylvia.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE:

I have a question. If I am told that some people will not participate, do I write "inactive" or take them out of the list?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

No. You have to take them out of the list, and you have to report to the secretary because the secretary and the chair and the chair-elect—even though there's no secretary-elect—all us three, we have to interact with these people. Are they interested in being in LACRALO because perhaps we [only discuss some other] topics: lack of participation, what is going on, why you're not participating. What can we do to help us help you?

Because perhaps they certainly did not know where to start, so there's no point in being at ICANN from their point of view. And perhaps we may give them [some rationale]. Otherwise, I will know that we have not 20 people, but 4. I need to know. I need the truth. Say, "It's four of us." Okay, no problem. It's 4.

Can you do it please, Sylvia?

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Yes, of course.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yeah. First, you should have a mailing list of 20 people. And then there would be a reduction and it will be, perhaps, 5 people. But it's the 5 that are really active and not 20 that are not working.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: When you say mailing list, what are you talking about? A WhatsApp group?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yeah. It may be a WhatsApp group. You should include in that group all people, but it's received as an individual. It's not a group. So, you send a message to them of, "Hello. I'm Sylvia. I don't know whether you have me as a contact, but I know that you are participating in such working group. Are you still interested in continuing to participate or not? Do you prefer to join another group or leave?" or whatever.

So they'll say, "Yes ... No ... I'd like to join another group ... I'm not interested in ICANN ... I'm not interested in LACRALO ... I don't like Claudia Ruiz ... I don't like Sylvia Vivanco," whatever the answer is. And I'm laughing. This is just a joke. So, let's try and clean this up.

Who's the next group? I think there are three that are working, as a matter of fact. Communications. Can you please, Marcelo, give us a report? Or Claudia? If you want to say something to Communication. Claudia, please move the screen to Communication.

Marcelo, are you there? Marcelo, please. Can you send us a report of what you're doing? Or do you want to mention something of what Sylvia said? And then we can go on to your working group.

MARCELO RODRIGUEZ:

Well, to begin with, as for ICANN70, we're working very actively. We've been having meetings with the Social Media Working Group. And we have had some progress. The work has been presented by Lilian Ivette De Luque. A few days ago, we had a meeting and we agreed we would, once again, have another meeting.

Now, as for the work we're having together with Sylvia Herlein, Universal Acceptance, we can also design the course communication. This is the course that will be held after the February 10 meeting, and we hope to have a Communications meeting to agree on the work of the course for Universal Acceptance as well as the social media work for ICANN70 within LACRALO.

So, we are going to try to have only one meeting to deal with these two issues that are critical for us. And then will also, of course, try to ... I mean, we are in the process of introducing the second newsletter that was still pending for us to be able to present it because we could not present it by the end of last year.

And then, in connection, with what the Communications does, you will see what the members are now working on. I am constantly in communication with Lilian and Sylvia, and in some cases with Antonio as well. Anahí Menéndez is the co-chair now. She is also working together with the group.

Anyway, we still have to review the effective participation, as Sergio was saying, and the continuous participation of people who are registered. Harold and I also agree on this. We are working on the Communications Working Group.

Please tell me if there is something else you would like to know.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, Marcelo. I can't really see how many we are. There's Katuska Hull. I don't know who she is.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: She's from the Capacity Building in ALAC.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: What is she doing there with us? Where's she coming from?

ADRIAN CARBALLO: No, I actually made a mistake. She's from Panama. She belongs to another group.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yoselin as well.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, actually, this is what I would say. They are both from Augusto's organization. Yoselin and Katiuska, right? My idea is we should talk to each of these colleagues. I see Sergio Bronstein. We should have him back. He's a great person from Venezuela. Javier Chandía is the same thing. We should try and work with each of these people, and you should do the same thing I told Sylvia to do. You can ask Harold for the phone numbers we don't have. You can add them and just write them to say who you are. Most of them will know you. Others would not.

But then we should do [craft] work here. We need to work one by one and try to wake them up. This is not something we can discuss in the monthly meeting. You see what this board meeting is about. We need to fine tune the issues that are still pending. Each of you are micro leaders of other colleagues in the region, so what we need to do is start adjusting.

I see Harold is in all of the groups. He's a player in the whole of the field. Harold can participate, but he cannot be a member of all of them. So, he needs to be in one of them and he will provide support for the rest.

Well if I cannot be there, you are the chair and then you will be there. So, this needs to work. If we have 13 people there, then maybe 5 will remain. So, we will work with these 5. But it is important that we can have the whole group working together.

Do you have any questions, Marcelo?

MARCELO RODRIGUEZ: I want to ask Silvia Vivanco about a request to access the Outreach and Engagement group in December, and I still haven't had a reply. I would like to know if you had the time to have a look at that request.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you. If you have asked staff to be in the mailing list, they should have done this. Actually, I will write it down here. But if it hasn't been actioned, then it should be done soon.

You mean the Outreach and Engagement Working Group in ALAC?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: This was done because I received a copy of that message, and I remember it. So, that's why I was concerned.

I mean, the fact that Lilian is covering two spaces within ALAC is what concerns me because this is why I enrolled as well. Her mission at LACRALO is to be where she is, which is to be in the Communications Working Group. She doesn't really need to be in Outreach and Engagement. Marcelo could be there. Maybe I could be there. Or Adrian.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Well, we agreed that, then, Augusto Ho, Marcelo, and myself.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Well, I enrolled as well.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Silvia, can you please add me as well?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. This is Adrian, right?

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Yes.

SILVIA VIVANCO: So, Adrian Caballo, do you want to be in the Outreach and Engagement Working Group? On the ALAC group for Outreach and Engagement. Is that correct?

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Sergio and I were there before. I mean, Augusto, Marcelo, and I.

INTERPRETER: We apologize. People are overlapping. We can't hear everybody at the same time.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I had another comment. I wanted to ask if you could please provide me with an idea of when the draft for the newsletter will be ready. It

started very nicely. By the end of December, we had already some articles written, I think, by Daniel. And I think it would be interesting to have it ready before ICANN70, considering that once the Spanish draft is completed, it needs to be translated. We need to send it for translation because we need to have it in other languages as well.

And so, if you think that this is ready, then maybe we can start having a look at it. So, I would really appreciate it if I could have the timeline to know what the times will be for February and March.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Silvia, I commit to work on this with Marcelo because this was ... I think I was the one who stopped it for some reason. So, I will sit down together with Marcelo, and we will discuss the notes that we probably need to review. But I will work on this next week. Not tomorrow maybe, but beginning Monday. We will review the draft, together with Marcelo, and we will try and make some progress. And we will report on how this is going.

Well, if Marcelo is done, maybe Silvia, if you have something else to say, you could go ahead. Otherwise, we will go to Adrian.

ADRIAN CARBALLO:

You can have a look at the other working groups. The names are there. With the Capacity Building Working Group for ICANN, well, the Spanish version is almost completed. There are some modules and the issues that we're going to be dealing with, and this is already completed.

We're also working on the webinars for the full year. I am going to have discussion with Lito.

And we are also working together with Sylvia Herlein on Capacity Building for Universal Acceptance for users. And this is done in connection with activities.

The capacity building program from ICANN Academy in Spanish is to that simple. It's taking a lot more time than what we had expected. And we now need to include Humberto Carrasco as a vice-chair. I see he's not here in the list, and Anahí Menéndez is still there. Maybe we need to remove Anahí Menéndez. She's not in the group anymore. And we need to add Humberto Carrasco.

As for your question on who is working actively. Well, there's Maritza Agüero. She's not here. She's number four on screen now. Mónica [inaudible] as well. That's number seven. And then number 11. So, out of these 11, there are only 4 of us.

Of course, I will consider everything you said before. It's extremely clear, and because you wanted to show the activity each of us is conducting, I wanted to do this. And then, obviously, I wanted to make some outreach. Maybe we should have a newsletter for the Capacity Building Working Group, both in English and in Spanish.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

I saw that you raised your hand, Harold. Then maybe for Marcelo, we could invite people to participate in each of the groups and explain what each group does. This is written. It's on the Wiki. We don't really need

to add anything. We just need to ask Harold for access to each of the Wikis. Each of the working groups has a small instruction, then maybe this should be on the newsletter.

That is, every newsletter should have this kind of advertising saying, “Come on. You can come and participate.” And you just need to explain what every group does. And then some contacts for ... I mean, we can have some Telegram or WhatsApp number. And then we could just go on in the logic of saying what users want to say. I mean, these users who want to work on each of these issues.

So, Marcelo, I want to ask that you do this, please. And thank you for the initiative, Adrian. And it’s okay if there are four.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: I don’t think this is good that this is the reality. This is what you have.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: The Communications Working Group was Lilian on her own. The fact that there are three now is excellent. It was only one person before.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: We have two challenges. One challenge is to see how to add more people, how to get new volunteers, and then how to streamline this. It’s a shared leadership because what you see is what’s reflected in Communications. I mean, see what we can give them so that they can go on.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, let's start thinking because we have a mailing list. We are not using the mailing list.

I forgot to include in the agenda, but I would like to speak about the migration from WhatsApp to Telegram. I'm not speaking about Signal because certainly it's useless in a computer. I have to work and I cannot check the cellphone while working. But if it is in the browser, I may have a different tabs open.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Are you saying that we should migrate to Telegram?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: No. We're with WhatsApp right now, and we are working with WhatsApp, not with an e-mail, the mailing list. The staff sends something to us or if we need to document something, but otherwise, we are working on WhatsApp. But we [know what happened] with WhatsApp.

So, now that everything is clear and now that we know what they do, my idea is to migrate. And Carlos Raúl spoke about that, but [I'm seeing now he left.] So, now that Carlos Raúl is no longer in WhatsApp, it's a problem. And I have Signal just because Carlos Raúl is there, that at least I can talk to him.

So, let's go on something in between with an open-source software, security, and something. So we start migrating. We may start with a

communication channel so as to do some outreach in that respect, reporting about ICANN and Latin America-based on that platform.

So, Adrian, your update is okay. I will speak tomorrow with David Plum, and you will have to attend a meeting with Augusto, David, José, and myself. We will discuss the General Assembly and capacity building, even though this first step in the meeting will be with some coaching and all that.

Throughout the year, part of the capacity building will be in place, and then in Puerto Rico, we'll have a face-to-face meeting. And we will close the coaching topic plus the closing of the academy. So, you will need to be there. We'll let you know. And that's it. You will have to be at that meeting.

If you have nothing else to say, I will give the floor to Harold and then Sylvia because their hands are up. And I have to report something about GDPR and WHOIS.

So, Harold, you have the floor.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you, Sergio. That was a mistake. My hand should not have been up. Sorry.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Harold. Sylvia, then. Your hand is up.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Once again, I would like to ask about the issue of writing off people from the list. Shall we delete their names? We're not going to have any historic record saying who started working when the group was created.

So, I would like to have, let's say, a 2021 list so people who are now saying they are not willing to go on working, that they have worked in the past, so as not to take them out. Or we may write "inactive" or, I don't know, "decided to quit." Whatever.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay, Sylvia. You're right. Let's move in that direction. We will prepare a new table, a 2021 list, with what we have right now. Then the other table will be the historical record. And if somebody said, "not willing to participate," we will write "inactive" as you have done. Because this is hand-in-hand with another process. There is an underlying discussion. It's not decertification because we're not decertifying. But, certainly, to discuss the number of 61 ALSes because it's a fake number.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Silvia Vivanco wrote some ideas on the chat, so I'm going to work with her with the 2021 list.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Since Carlos Raúl has to leave—[a colonialist in his very own right]—we will give him the floor because I have a short report, a brief report to give.

So, I will make a question to those ALAC members. Perhaps you would like to send a report of the [hanging] topics being discussed at ALAC, but I would like to know whether you, Sylvia and Silvia, working together, if you have a group of your own. If you discuss how to vote, which of you is doing a job of their own and there's nothing centralized from a LACRALO perspective.

CARLOS RAÚL GUTIÉRREZ:

Hello. We are working jointly regarding individual members at RALOs level. We are discussing the draft report prepared by Roberto Gaetano.

The strongest trend, I would say, is to give the same opportunities as EURALO gives its users so individual users may participate at the RALOs without having to organize an ALS. And we know that it's quite burdensome in Latin America.

Laura is one of the other servers of this group where we discuss this topic, and there will be certain criteria to be met. The major concern is not regarding principles because they discuss whether there may be individual members or not. Everyone is [inaudible]. We have individual members willing to contribute and willing to work.

The discussion is about the double-dipping. If you are on an ALS and at the same time, you may be an individual member. If you're an individual member, you may take a position in the RALO on top of ALS. So, 95% of the problem is procedures and representations because in substance, we all would be happy if we have active members in policy topics.

So, we have to pay attention. This draft report in two weeks will be open for discussion because the idea is to present it in the next ICANN meeting. In terms of policy, the final, final, final report with all the objections about future rounds of gTLDs is about to be published. And this is regarded to substance.

And I think that this is more important than working groups, capacity building, this and that because I think that in the next ICANN meeting, and in the meeting following the next ICANN meeting, there will certainly be quite a fuss about that because this working group has been working for four years, or [near around]. There are certain decisions where ALAC certainly has minority statements to make that are really strong.

The third topic is ALAC itself. Let me say that a bomb exploded. I gave my opinion at the last policy meeting, and [he] said ALAC has been developing its own [genitive]. And I feel trapped by abuse. So, abuse is a priority, has been so in the latest ICANN meetings, but now we have a new baby, let's say, at ICANN. Abuse. Abuse that is not properly defined. It's not properly understood. And GNSO now prepared a trap to this. So, "Who invented this? This has not [even been defined,]" and all that.

So, I've seen it from the very beginning because it's a derivative that is related to competition, trust, and choice. I think that ALAC will do something in ICANN70, 71, and 72. It has to be abuse. A third of the time will be abuse, and somebody pushed the brake.

So, I lit a match and put it on fire at the last meeting. So, one of the topics is individual members because it is related to what we have discussed so far, that is the working group. Who is active? Who is not? How many people do we have? How are we going to participate as LACRALO?

The second topics of interest, I would say, is that it has been eight years at least from the latest round, and we do not know whether we continue to [inaudible] in the next round or not.

And finally, ALAC and policy. ALAC has the tendency to get out of the box. We were pro-IGF. The IGF was certainly more important than anything else. We prepared a Consolidated Policy Working Group where we have almost no participation from Latin America. And we certainly witness that this is the ongoing trend. Now we are talking about abuse, and we have a bombshell whether to regulate content or not.

[If somebody is] regulated content on the Internet, and we are discussing whether ICANN is important or not. And suddenly, the regulation of content has been privatized and we are discussing whether ICANN will regulate or not regulate content. So, certainly it's like a planet turning around outside its orbit.

I have not participated this year at the very begging in all meetings because, as you said, Sergio, well, we are in summertime. My family is here. Somebody had come from Switzerland, etc. It's holiday time. We'll go to the beach even though we are in the northern hemisphere. But we are like the Uruguayan and the Argentinian. We do not like to work in January or February.

So, this is what is going on. Certainly, there's a lot of discussion. A lot of work—and hard work—is ahead of us. We volunteers ... We are volunteering in the next round, and individual members [inaudible] at the very beginning. We are very, very [thin] in terms of representation.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Carlos. I would like to offer something [to you and Sylvia]. I would like to meet you—with you two. And with [Silvia] as well. We need to coordinate policy, but I need you to act in coordination when voting, when giving some decisions about Latin America, the idea of participating in the policy meeting we talked about.

It think that Pisanty, when we discussed the 5-year strategic plan, also said this is related to policy. Perhaps what Alejandro said is he's reading one portion. He's thinking about [inaudible] with you, have talked about that. You have talked with the group about that.

And perhaps this is outside ICANN's remit, but certainly as user organization, we have to give answers to that. We have to respond to that. So, I invite you, Sylvia. And I need [Sindy] to be present so as to give some order to the participation of our region at the ALAC.

So, if you agree, I will call a meeting, not more than 60 minutes.

CARLOS RAÚL GUTIÉRREZ: No problem at all.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We need to have some leadership in some topics. The idea is not to tick any box. We should have some weight in some topic. The region should have some weight in some topic. I would like to end my tenure seeing how LACRALO works on a collective basis, not individual because there are lots of people that have worked a lot, but certainly people who have worked for themselves, or the leaders except Humberto ... But from Humberto onward it was a different story. But before that there was an individual issue. That thing is like a [sheriff shield.]

I'm not sure if you saw by the end of the year Wolfgang Kleinwaechter [had sent an] article. And he divided it in different parts of the world and he said nothing about Latin America. Somebody in Argentina said, "What about Latin America?"

And then I said, "It's just that Latin America never comments. How is it possible that we represent the end users in ICANN issues and we are here very calm with the fact that Facebook hired 20 lawyers? Or even the former vice-chair of the ICANN Board who is now a content regulator and is paid by Facebook?"

So, I would very happily go back to WhatsApp. If you invite me, I can go back to it. That we are waiting for Facebook to take the Internet, and we are all happy.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I agree with you. I'm concerned about Facebook and Google. I'm concerned about both companies, and many people who have been in ICANN then end up playing and working for Google. Even Vint Cerf.

But we need to have a global look, and this is part of what's global: Google and Facebook. What's their logic? How Twitter also forces you to follow certain things and to post certain things. The fact that you didn't ... They blocked Trump because they don't like him. I think this is horrible. If they did it to Trump, they can do it to anyone else, to any of us.

So, my proposal is let's meet. Let's have an agenda of three ALAC members within LACRALO and ALAC, and let's just go ahead. Our idea is like a knife cutting some butter.

CARLOS RAÚL GUTIÉRREZ: I need to leave. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: All right. So, now I have some information on WHOIS and GDPR. Two days ago or three days ago, I met with Carlos Aguirre and I tried to have him participate in LACRALO logic.

Silvia, do we have more time? Or is this the end of the call? Do we end at 24?

SILVIA VIVANCO: It will end at 24, but then we can have some more time.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. Why don't you check if we can have some more time then? Let's go back, then.

So, Carlos Aguirre intends to go back to work on this [group] that is empty. There's no movement on it. I said I would send him a link so that he knows what the group is about, and then maybe we can have it active within LACRALO.

And then there's the LACRALO Virtual General Assembly. Well, we discussed this before, and we probably would need to have another meeting to talk about it, but I need to see [it in the] strategic plan.

All of us here need to be present in this strategic planning meeting. The board in full needs to be there, and we need to have a logic. This weekend I would try to prepare a short document so that it can be a starting point for us to start working. But next Tuesday at 23:00 UTC, we will have a meeting of the strategic planning group.

So, I'm going to ask you all to be present there. If we need to change some work schedules, then maybe we will need to try and do this. Otherwise, we need to participate somehow.

Silvia Vivanco probably ... I need to see [if it's] see Sylvia with a "Y" or Silvia without a "Y." So, Silvia, for this case, probably we need to have a mailing list or use the governance mailing list. If we do, we need to add all the rest who are going to join and then maybe for a certain time, we need to have these working on a mailing list called Strategic Planning. If we can have that, that would be great.

And then we should add those who were there and see if we can add some more people joining. We need to send a notification saying that next Tuesday at 23:00 UTC, we will have the 5-year Strategic Plan

Meeting to see if more people can join. I would appreciate it if you can do that.

Is there anything else you'd like to add or that you think you want to say? I see no hands up.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I will have a new Wiki webpage. It is going to [be] called 5-year Strategic Planning. We will schedule a call for next Tuesday at 23:00 UTC, and we will need the participant list for this call. And I think you will need interpretation into English. Is that correct?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

And French as well. I think Sindy speaks French. Is that right? Yes. Okay. Please.

And then we will also need to have a mailing list because we can send the mailing list to the big list, but we actually need the team working. And I don't really have the list of the members in the team, and we would need to be able to add them.

I remembered there was Alejandro Pisanty and Vanda, but I can't really remember who else was there. So, please, let's add them so that we can start working.

Harold, you now have the floor.

HAROLD ARCOS: I just want to say, for the record, that Sindy texted me on WhatsApp and he apologizes. He says he thought this meeting was going to be held tomorrow and he would not be able to be there. I just wanted to report on that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you. Then remember, Tuesday the 9th at 23:00. All the ALAC members need to be there. All the policy directors need to be there. We need to think about this. This is not only the current term. It's going to be Augusto's term and the next term as well. We all need to be there because very probably many of us will continue to be policy directors, and so we can't really leave this logic.

I invite you to be there. And our colleagues from our working groups, we need to insist that they be there as well. This is part of our group. If Adrian has 4 people, and Sylvia has another 4, Marcelo has 3, and someone else has 4, then we will probably have 20 people participating. And us as well.

So, let's just try and book this so that there are more people engaged. This is not about the current management. It has to do with the present and the future of LACRALO. Let's think about this.

I'm sending you a big hug. Let me also tell you that I was tested. My test was negative, but I think it's a false negative because I'm still having symptoms.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Well, you can have some fever.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: What I mean is I still have a cough. I have asthma, and I have some issues. But then, maybe, it's a non-COVID disease. So, I'm going to be tested again in a few days.

I'm sending you a big hug and I hope to see you very soon.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]