
YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Task Force Call taking place on Monday, 7th of December 2020 at 16:00 UTC. On our call today, we have Judith Hellerstein, Harold Arcos, Remmy Nweke, Jonathan Zuck, Gordon Chillcott, and Satish Babu. We have received apologies from Carlos Raúl-Gutiérrez and from Dev Anand Teelucksingh.

From staff side, we have Evin Erdoğan, Mark Segall, Carlos Reyes, Sally Newell Cohen, Jana Juginovic, Edman Perez, Adam Peake, Claudia Ruiz, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. And I will also be doing call management for today's call.

And before we get started, just a kind reminder to please state your name before speaking for the transcription purposes please. And with that, I would like to leave the floor back over to you, Judith. Thanks so much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Yeşim. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to others. I know there's a lot of conflicting calls today, so I know people will be watching this later. But we have a lot of agenda topics to go over, and so I will first go over to Yeşim to look at the action items that we have, or Evin to discuss the action items, so that we could make sure that we've gotten those done from the last call.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Thanks, Judith. Yes, so good news. All the action items are complete. That includes scheduling a presentation regarding ODP and also questions that were shared from the TTF with Maureen and Heidi, and scheduling this call. So, that was very straightforward and all action items are complete. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. And I see if you look on the agenda, the presentations are linked there so that you can click on them and watch them for later. But I will then go over... We've been, even though the OD, the Open Data Project, was rolled out months ago, because of the change in leadership, we haven't been able to get our updates. So, finally, Sally is going to be giving that along with she and Mark will, ITI, Mark usually gives it but since Sally is here, she's going to give that as well. But we'll have time for questions and answers between them and then we'll go on to other things. Does anyone have any other business, if they want to add to the call before we begin? If so, please post in the chat and we'll be happy to take that up. Thanks.

Okay. Sally, it's over to you.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN:

Thanks very much, Judith. And good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Thanks so much for inviting us to give you an update on ODP and ITI today.

I have several members of the team with me just so that we can answer any questions that you have. And as Judith said, I know it's been quite

some time since we presented an update on the platform, but as she mentioned, we did have a change in transition of leadership on this project. So, I appreciate the patience you gave us to give us the time and space to kind of get our hands around the project itself. If we can go to the next slide. Thank you.

For our presentation or our update today, we thought it would be valuable to go back and review the original goals of this project to review the progress that's been made and then to talk about the next steps. Next slide, please.

We had several goals set out for us with the Open Data Platform initiative and it was, of course, to increase transparency, to improve accessibility and availability of data, to strengthen the procedures, the processes, and the standards for improved data usability, to enhance the ability to understand and use the data. So, this gives individuals the opportunity to take the data and to use it how they wish and analyze it. And the data that is available needs to be accessible and it needs to be usable, comparable and interoperable, and available to leverage for improved governance and engagement.

So, as part of this, registered users can now search, browse, view, download and analyze the data according to the terms and conditions and the licenses applied to each data set. If you register, this also allows users to save customized analysis, to receive notifications when selected databases are updated, to generate API keys, and to view your API quota usage. Next slide, please.

So, what is currently available? We launched the platform in March, as you know, and today we have 40 different data sets available. There are 26 domain name marketplace indicators. There is one identifier technology health indicator available and I'll talk a little bit more about that later. We have 12 different data sets for per registrar transaction reports and then one registry functions activity report. These are all available.

We thought it might be interesting for you to see what the usage has been in the nine months since we've launched the program, and so far, we have 834 unique registered users and there have been more than 32,000 API calls. So, we know that this is content that the community wants and they have a reason and they've found a purpose for it.

We thought you might also be interested in knowing what the top five data sets are so far. Number one is the per registrar transactions report for 2019, the one ITHI data set available and that's the DNS Root Traffic Analysis, also, the compound annual growth rate of the number of domains and that's by TLD category, the Registry Functions Activity Report, and the per-registrar functions report for 2020. Those are the top five. So next slide, please.

Some of the updates that we've made since the original launch. In May 2020, we made updates to the Domain Name Marketplace Indicators and seven new indicators were also made available in May. And those include the number of IDN second-level domains in gTLDs and ccTLDs, the net change in IDN second-level domains in gTLDs and ccTLDs, the compound annual growth rates of IDN second-level domains in gTLDs and ccTLDs, the percentage of gTLD registry operator and registrar

websites with domain name registration terms and conditions in multiple languages that's now available. There's also the percentage of these gTLD registrar websites that offer multiple payment methods for domain name registrations, the number of UDRP—I don't think I said that right, oh, I did—claims and percentage of UDRP complaints decided against registrants, and then the number of complaints, URS complaints and percentage against registrants. So, you see that we're starting to build this rich content where people can look at different aspects of the industry and choose to analyze the data how they want.

One of the other updates that we're working on is the Registry Functions Activity Reports Improvement and this has really been our primary focus because we felt it was important to correct some of the bugs before moving forward. So, some of the files weren't in the standard structure to align in the platform. And we required a bug to fix this. We expect... We've been working away steadily at this and we expect to be able to release this, this month. That really has been our primary area of focus. Next slide, please.

For our next steps, we are going to complete work on the bug that I just mentioned and we are going to complete planning and prioritization of the next data sets. The ones that will come next are the ITHI, different data sets. So, they will be... Right now, we have the domain name abuse data set available, but what's coming is the accuracy of WHOIS data, DNS Root Traffic Analysis, DNS Recursive Server Analysis, recursive resolver integrity data set, the IANA registries for DNS parameters, and then DNSSEC deployment and DNS Authoritative Servers Analysis. Once those are updated, we then are going to start on the next step which is starting to plan out the rest of the releases of data. So, that's a big piece

of it when we took this project on is there wasn't a roadmap for all of the updates to come. So, that's really what we're going to be focusing on once we get these bug fixes done and work with OCTO on ITI.

So, that's really all that we wanted to share with you at this point. It's been a little bit of slow-going just because of reprioritization, but we are definitely committed to moving this forward as quickly as we can, particularly once we get through the major milestones of ITI. But, I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Sally, for this. Let me... Does anyone... Do we have any questions on this for Sally? And I know some of our regulars are very big followers of the open data. So, I just want to make sure that we open it up to see. We'll wait a few minutes on this for questions. And also, for people who are on the phone, if they have any questions, I know you can't raise your hand, so just speak up and then we will acknowledge you. And we'll just wait.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Hey, it's Jonathan.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. Thanks. Go ahead.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Judith. I guess my question is what kind of format is this data in? Is it consumable and re-analyzable by the community or is it sort of just summary data at this point?

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: That's a good question, Jonathan. I think it's consumable. I'm going to turn to Edman, if I can, to give you a little more detail, Edman Perez on how the data is made available. Edman, are you there?

EDMAN PEREZ: Yes, Sally. Thank you.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: Thank you.

EDMAN PEREZ: So, the data, the platform, it's offering different types of formats to consume the data. You can get the data as a JSON format if you expect to use an API call or you can download a CSV file. I think you can also do a text file. So, those three formats are available and the three are manually available for each user to download and dump the data from the datasets, and if you use API calls, you can just select any of those formats in order to consume the data in the way you want it.

JONATHAN ZUCK: It's just via API or there's a UI as well for just downloading a data set to play with this?

EDMAN PEREZ: Correct, Jonathan. The two ways are available, API call or through the UI. Both ways you can get the data.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks. Yeah, because the marketplace indicators all make certain assumptions unless somebody wanted to make some—because I was part of that team—if somebody wanted to make different assumptions, presumably, they could regenerate those marketplace indicators using a different set of assumptions. Thanks.

EDMAN PEREZ: Sure.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you. We have Satish Babu. Satish?

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Judith. I have a question on the license for the Open Data. Is there a particular license that you are releasing the data under?

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: Thanks, Satish. I believe there are several licenses. I'm going to turn to Edman again because he is our resident subject matter expert here. Edman.

EDMAN PEREZ: Yes. So, for now, all the data sets are under the Open Data License. It's a generic license that is mostly used for these purposes. So, every single data set is tied to this license.

SATISH BABU: Thank you.

EDMAN PEREZ: Sure.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. I think, also, we were wondering is there's a creative commons licensing also type of things and wondering is it also available on the Creative Commons? Edman?

EDMAN PEREZ: Right. So, the Open Data License is created by the Creative Commons platform. But every single data set is using the same one and that's the recommended license in order to allow users to consume and use the data. So, that's correct.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Thanks so much. I also had another question on this. So, with the data, are we also going... On the current ones, there are only a couple of data sets and as you do more of the project, you're going to have more of the data sets and I know that different organizations, different groups have their own data and that when we do our stakeholder analysis, we

state data from, this is more when we have the Next Generation Fellows and the other fellows that are in the different groups. We scrape data from each of these sites of who is doing what, what people belong to each of the stakeholders, and we also do a bunch of scraping of data from other different constituencies. And I was wondering when you are going to get to these areas and are they going to be, also be able to be combined [or both] so that we can actually look and get data from these and they will be in a common data set? Because sometimes they're in different data sets and there's a lot of work to be done to prepare it. So, that was just my question on that.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN:

Okay. From the perspective of when we're going to add it, I think it's going to be... I can't give you a finite date for that, but what we are focused on is planning the data sets that are available today and we're working closely with OCTO particularly to do that first. And then in terms of the scraping data and using that, that's a question that I'm not sure of the answer to, so this is... Edman, I'm so sorry but I'm going to ask you to help me out with this question as well.

EDMAN PEREZ:

Sure. So, in terms of combining the data sets, I think we have the functionality in place. As we are adding new data sets, we want to enable that functionality to combine those data sets and enrich the user experience in order to extract the data they need. But as Sally said, I think this is related with the roadmap and the new data set that we'll be adding into the platform.

But the short answer is that the capability is there, so we have the right data required for the users. They should be able to combine two or three different data sets and get the data using the query to the Open Data [inaudible]. Does that answer your question?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. No, that does.

EDMAN PEREZ: Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Do we have any other questions on this topic? If not, we can move on to the next one and then we could always cover it later. And so, I will just go ask one more time. Any more questions? Okay, so we'll move on to the ITI which is one of our favorite projects and we keep waiting. We're very interested and we've been trying to ask for this type of thing for a long time, and somehow now it's finally coming. And of course, we would like for it to expand more and our favorite issue is when is the cover going to the wiki, which is most of our work is on the wiki and that also makes it that much harder to find information. And we would love some work on that. But I'll just give it over to Sally.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: Great. Thanks again, Judith. And it is one of our favorite topics, too. So let me walk through. I know you've had an update recently, but I think it's good, again, to go back through and talk a little bit about what we

were trying to solve with ITI. And as you know, this is a really complex, multi-faceted project that was initiated to solve many longstanding issues. So, just as a refresher, at the time that this was initiated, there was no integrated system to create, govern, store, or manage ICANN's content. We create thousands of pieces of information and documentation that grows at 25-30% every year. We had no document management system or content governance system in place. It was also very difficult, as you know, to search and find important information and content.

Our public content, also, is unstructured and it's spread—as you know, as you pointed out, Judith—to many different wikis and sites. And there were 38 of them. There still are. And we needed to connect all of these foundational technologies. Otherwise, it wasn't scalable and it left us open to vulnerabilities.

And at this point, to give you an example, when the project began, there were 100,000 pieces of content. Today, there are more than 200,000 in that short time since the project was initiated. So it gives you an idea of the scale as well. If we can go to the next slide. Thank you.

Our goals, we set out to solve all of these issues. This is what has been guiding our way, to create an ongoing operational process, to do those things, to govern, preserve, organize, and secure our content, to build a foundation of content governance. And we're doing that through multilingual tagging, foundational information architecture, and enforced workflows.

We're also setting the goal, or have set the goal of implementing a new document management system, or DMS, for the entire ecosystem, deploying multilingual taxonomy for greater findability and for multi-faceted search. We also will surface this content through a new content management system that will serve as the backbone for all of the external web properties as well as other websites and wikis. We also had the goal of future proofing and creating a content diagnostic landscape. And then, of course, to upgrade our technical infrastructure and to serve all the people that use our site and the other sites to increase findability and accessibility of all that multilingual content.

So, there are a lot of goals that we had when we established this project and we're working forward on many of them. And I'll talk a little bit about the progress we've made on the technology side and on the content side. So, if we can go to the next slide, please.

We've done quite a lot and we've now built a strong infrastructure. If we could go to the next slide, please. We've now built the DNS and the CMS and we've ensured that they're integrated. We've built a pipeline for translation that connects language services, the DNS, and the ticketing system with the CMS. We've built an architecture for content subscriptions as well as public comment. The content delivery network is nearly complete and we rebuilt the authoring interface with content-specific authoring in progress. So, those are the things that we've done from the infrastructure perspective. If we could go to the next slide, please, we'll talk a little bit about content.

So, from the content side, we've also made significant progress. We've conducted a primary audit of more than 24,000 files and pages

completed. We've also done two catch-up audits. We've completed the taxonomy update and made ongoing refinements to that. We've implemented about 90% of the public comment and 60% of content subscriptions. We've also gathered requirements on the front end and that has been developed for 95% of the content types. We've also developed templates and are developing the user experience or the experience style guide, so we'll be able to leverage across all of the extended sites, so this is replicable and repurposeable. And of course, we're working on the staff authoring and the DNS. Next slide, please.

So in May, on May 15th specifically, we launched a preview and I'm sure many of you have seen this, if not all of you have seen this, on ICANN Org. And we've added to it since. So, available on this preview.icann.org site are announcements, blogs, registry agreements, all of the things you see listed here, acronyms and terms, correspondence, and accredited registrars. We now have approximately 93% of that content available on preview.icann.org.

We held two recent webinars and those were on December 1st to demonstrate the latest releases. And we focused on correspondence, Board and meeting materials, and acronyms and terms during those webinars. And as you know, we've worked closely with the community for feedback and it's helped us significantly to improve the public comment submission process and enhance the search and functionality and many other things. So, we greatly appreciate the feedback and please keep it coming. It's so important to making sure the experience is what you need and want for it to be. Now if you could go to the next slide, please.

In terms of the next steps, we are continuing to take feedback, as I mentioned, on content subscriptions. We also are focused on the rest of the content. So, we anticipate that by March of 2020, so in just under four months from now, we'll have 87% approximately of the new content available on the new site. And that's going to include the announcements and blogs with multilingual search capabilities, registry agreements with faceted search, the acronyms and terms, the subscription feature that will be available for announcements and blogs, and the registry reports which also crosses over into the Open Data Platform. And that's about 140,000 different files. So, those are our next steps. We're keenly focused now on getting through this to have the majority of the transition completed by March.

And I know, Judith, one of the questions that you had was, well, when are we going to start to bring on the other sites, particularly the ALAC site? What we are doing is getting through this part of the process and getting to this 87% and continuing to work through some of the pieces and then we're developing the roadmap over the next six months of when the rest of the sites will come up. So, we'll be, I think within our next update or the one following that, we'll be able to share with you a more specific timeline to help you get a sense of when that's going to happen. If we could go to the next slide, please.

We thought it was important, also, to talk a little bit about how Open Data and ITI are related. And while Open Data is a distinct service, Open Data and ITI will link to each other's content so that the experience for the user is more seamless. For example, as you see on the slide, the registry report information will be available on ICANN.org but the raw data will be available on Open Data. And in June, we made this

transition where the ODP project is now under the Global Communications team. And that was really done to ensure that it was under one owner, which would improve content fluidity between the platform, it would enhance findability, increase user awareness of the content and the breadth of the content available. So, it just made the most sense to put this within the same team.

And it's also important to note, I think, that we have many of the same team members working on ITI and ODP for that shared understanding and knowledge, particularly. And as a result of this, though, we're constantly focused on prioritization and planning to ensure that we can proceed briskly but also be thorough and ensure that there is a quality experience. So, our focus has been ITI, fixing the bugs on ODP, adding those ITHIs, and then moving on to these next steps.

So, hopefully this give you kind of a sense of where we are with both of these projects and what's coming in the very near future. So, I'm happy to take any additional questions anyone has on ITI or the Open Data Project. Judith, back to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Sally, for this. So, do people have any other questions? I know I have a couple so I'll ask mine while waiting for others to come on the line. So, I was wondering if you could describe more what you mean by content subscriptions so people understand, really, what that is.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: Yes. So, that is if you want to be notified or receive an announcement or a blog, rather than having to go to find it, you'll be able to actually subscribe so that it's sent to you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I think that was my idea.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Jonathan, I know. But...

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: It was a good idea.

JONATHAN ZUCK: It wasn't really my idea. The European Union did it, I guess. Put me in the queue, if you would, Judith. Thanks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Okay, Jonathan.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: I think Jana would like to add something to that.

JANA JUGINOVIC: To jump in, you can, and we demoed this a few times for folks, that you not only will be able to do it for blogs and announcements, but you'll be

able to do it if you like a particular topic for public comment and if you want to follow a particular submission. So basically, you'll have an interface where you can say, "I want to subscribe to these user content types or topics." You can get it on a daily or weekly basis. It will be anytime there's an update to that particular topic or content type and you basically get links, like an e-mail link. It's a cumulative e-mail with links to that new content, which again, would just drive you to the content to let you know when it happens as opposed to you having to visit the website daily to see what's new.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah, that is so important. And hopefully now, because it's on this new platform, that it will be mobile friendly because one of the major problems we have with the wiki is that although they have notifications on it, it's not mobile friendly. So, when you get a notification, you have to click. Not only do you have to sign in again, but you have to keep rendering all the different sections and it's just not usable.

JANA JUGINOVIC:

Yeah. But the new ITI site is responsive and that includes the features, whether it's any public comment or subscriptions.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah. Okay. Now, you talked about the public comments. I know that you're doing the public comment. Are you doing all public comments or is it just certain public comments?

JANA JUGINOVIC: I'm not sure what you mean by "are we doing".

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, what I meant is there's a whole... I was wondering there's a lot of different public comments that are out for different points of view and what does seeking... Some of them are seeking issues on governance issues, some are policy issues, and some of them are more high profile than others. So, is this going to be... Are you choosing the selected public comments or is it going to be covering all the public comments that are out there?

JANA JUGINOVIC: So, in terms of once the new public comment feature is launched, it will encompass anything that, any new proceeding that is posted to the public comment site whether it's about governance or a high profile one. As we demoed—and you can go on preview.icann.org—there will be various categories so you could filter by a particular public comment that you're interested in and so, there's no difference between the different public comment proceedings.

Now, the previous public comment proceedings will still be searchable in the new interface, so you'll still be able to access the previous ones. But they won't be getting the new look and feel. It would only be the new ones going forward that will have the new search experience. But all of them will be treated the same.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Are you going to go back? Is that in the process to go back?

JANA JUGINOVIC: No. The old ones will still be available by a search, but they won't get the new look and feel. But they'll still be accessible, as you would right now in terms of searching for various keywords or going back to search by year.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: So Judith, one of the reasons that we decided to do that is the effort to go back and do this with all of the past work I think isn't justified by the number of people that would actually be looking for that previous content.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Okay, so no, I just thought about some of those, like certain ones like the ATRT3, the Work Stream 2, certain highlights that people are continuing to use.

JANA JUGINOVIC: Right. Understood. I mean, it will still be available to them, so that's the good news. It just won't have that same...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Jonathan? I have more questions, but Jonathan, I'm going to you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Judith. Thanks for the updates, folks. We really appreciate it. This issue of a timeframe is less about holding your feet to the fire and more about seeing our own kind of resource planning because we, I think, more than any other constituency have this complex structure of regions and ALSes and regional activities. And so, the idea of having a kind of CMS system in place to allow for the sharing of slide decks and whitepapers and things like that is pressing for us and I think we're just trying to plan whether or not it's happening soon enough that we should just sort of, you know, keep our powder dry or if we should be implementing something in the interim if it's like a year away or something like that, before we should see At-Large integration into ITI. So, it's really almost an order of magnitude question than it is date specific or anything like that, and it's for planning purposes not for accountability purposes. I hope that makes sense.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN:

Yes. Jonathan, thank you for putting it that way. I think that's helpful. And we're not hedging on a date because of the fear of being our feet put to the fire. But it's more that we're so involved in getting to the home stretch of the project as it is today. I think from a planning perspective, ALAC is one of the largest, as you know, right? And so planning for that in requirements gathering, I think that once we get past this March date, that's when we're going to spend our time really focusing on the right timing for the roadmap, like which sites come in which order. And there's going to be a combination of factors in terms of how large is the effort, what are going to be the requirements, bandwidth also. And so, this is kind of the same idea of what you were

talking about that you're going to be going through where you have to go through that same process.

I think we'll be able... We won't have a date or a timeframe for you until at least several months from now. And...

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks. So, that probably means you won't have integration for us within the next year probably.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: It's possible. Yes. I mean, I hate to say that because I want it to be sooner, to be honest with you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: No, I get it. Again, it's not a question of putting pressure on you. I really just... We may, if it's a whole year, we may try to go outside of the available tools and do something, word processor or whatever, just so that we have a system in place for the coming year. I think we can't just operate as we have been for that length of time. But I don't think that's the end of the world. It's more about just being as realistic as we can. That's all.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: You know, pragmatically, I think you're right. I think it's possible that a year out, we won't have your site ready. Right? I think that's a reasonable expectation. But what we will do, because I understand the

point you're making is also, why don't we... I'm going to take a little time with my team and give you a more realistic timeframe of at least what you can expect and when you can expect us to come back with some timing for you because I definitely understand your point.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

That would be really helpful and if there are any... I don't know what the right way to think about this is, but sort of guidelines for, and maybe these already exist and I haven't seen them yet, but guidelines for content creation that we could try and internalize a little bit so that when the site's up managing our migration will be smoother because we've created things in a way that best accommodates the DNS and CMS systems put in place.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN:

Yeah. No, that makes total sense. Let us come back to you with that and I'll circle back with Mark and Jana particularly and we can talk about this a little bit because I think you're right. If you could even be thinking about how, what you can be doing that will make the shift easier in the future, it makes total sense. Okay. I'll take that back.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Excellent. Thanks a lot.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. We're running short on time. But quickly, my question was on you mentioned about you're integrating the language

translation engines and is this going to mean that it will be much easier to do different engines, so like we have now for the LACRALO translations that we are trying to get the French one done for AFRALO. Is that going to... The cost of this backend, is that going to make that easier to get done? And maybe you can comment on that.

SALLY NEWELL COHEN: Yes. And actually, I'm going to hand this to Jana because she is best informed about language.

JANA JUGINOVIC: So, in terms of what we have implemented for ITI in terms of translations and multilingual navigation, you will obviously see it as you would like on a UN site or a [world] [inaudible] site where the multilingual navigation is at the top, not at the page level. When a page is not available for translation, or sorry, when the translated content is not available, if you clicked on it, it would say this page is only available in English.

Now in terms of the process that we have for the backend, which is obviously less significant for you guys, but there will be a much more seamless process where we won't have to manually publish content to the site when it's translated. It will automatically get loaded into basically the translation pipeline and get published automatically.

Now with regards to search, because of the [text on], we have multilingual, it would obviously make search a bit easier because we will have more of a structure in place to be able to find content more easily

because, again, as you know, when you're trying to find a blog in a different language, it's really, really hard to do, again, because none of the content is tagged.

In terms of some of the tools that they're working on for At-Large, we're not implementing Google search as a default search on ITI. That's not happening at this stage. But again, if the Google translate eventually becomes something where the translation is much more reflective of the actual content because obviously it's not there yet, sometime in the future, who knows? That could happen. But for right now, Google translate is not an option on the, won't be an option on the ITI site.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much.

MARK SEGALL: I can expand upon that if you'd like.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Mark. That would be great.

MARK SEGALL: I take it that you meaning is around the LACRALO mailing list and expanding that. And that's equal parts technology, which is what Jana was just speaking to, the Google translate API and actually development work to build something that will extend it to more than one language, more than one mailing list. But it's also, and the reason why that

doesn't relate to ITI is because ITI is more about the language services, the bandwidth of the team.

When you're talking about a mailing list, you're talking real-time translation so you're not going to have a team and the reason for that translation on the mailing list was to provide a mechanism for near real-time translation. So that one's still going to remain a separate item so you can get that real-time translation. And it does need to become prioritized as a small amount of funding that comes in. That was, I know, talked about originally for this fiscal year. I haven't heard anything further for next fiscal year, whether that would be approved or not and I would probably need to have a separate discussion on that one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much. Yes. I definitely agree. That also reminds me that's why I wanted to bring it up because the ABRs are coming and we have to make a decision very early on and that is one of our issues that we always put in is to get a French translation engine based on that, and if that is also, and we are going to be probably pushing that off to another area. And so that's another issue.

And I know we are losing Jonathan, but that brings us up to the... and we're going to skip item five. We're moving it to the next month. But on item four, it brings us up to some of the issues that we really had discussing and that is what's really been coming up and there's been a real problem, not only in just one of our working groups, but in several of them, is that the need for some kind of communication technology for threaded discussions, that Skype is really not a good technology.

We demoed Loomio. It was great, but the problem we keep coming back to is that because we have, unlike other constituencies, we have our staff and so there are certain ICANN legal limits on what staff can do and staff can only work on supported technologies and so we can't use some of them. We can't use Loomio or we can't use Slack because we're not included on Slack and we only have the free account, and also staff can't, a lot of these, staff can't use with us.

And we have tried the process of using the wiki, but with the wiki, we have the problem of it's not working well with mobiles. And so, I keep bumping up this issue of what can we explore for future technology? And that's where I... It's one of the things on the pilot. It's also on that issue and I really want to put funds for that up along with what are the future plans. And so, that's what I would like to jump into next.

And I know Mark, or I think Sally... Evin, you have your hand up.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Yeah, thanks Judith. I just wanted to note, we'll move this item five for our next meeting, but—

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, it's going to be January.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Great. So, we're going to have a review of the ICANN 69 YouTube pilot and item [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, and then that other question I just raised. And we may go over. I beg everyone's indulgence. We started about five minutes late, and so I do need that five minutes back. So, sorry about that. Okay. Evin, is that clear?

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Yeah, thanks. So, we'll move to Mark and Adam?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Okay. Thanks so much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: And Mark, if you could address my question I just raised with threaded technology discussions.

MARK SEGALL: Yeah, on that front, Mary, Carlos and I have been continually discussing how we go about establishing an approved process for when we want new, launch and introduce new services into the fold. A number of factors that need to be considered—you mentioned a couple of them—legal and InfoSec are both going to be factors. There's also just prioritization and if there's budget. All those kind of factors need to be

kind of rolled into something that's going to be a process that all of us can get behind. So, we've had some discussions on it. I don't know if this puts Mary or Carlos on the spot. I don't know if either one of them want to chime in real quick on that one. But that's basically where we're at. We're in the discussion phase of how we can create something that's like a repeatable process so it makes sense to all. I'll pause and see. I don't know if Mary or Carlos are on to speak further.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Carlos?

CARLOS REYES: Thanks. Thanks, Mark. Hi, everyone. So, as Mark said, we've outlined a strategy for community collaboration tools. And I hear you, Judith, and we've had these conversations with the TTF before. But as part of our requirements gathering, we do have to consider the input and the needs of every other community group as well because if ICANN Org is going to explore the deployment of a tool or resource to address this, we have to make sure we're investing in something that can serve the needs of the entire community, not just specific groups.

So, as we move forward with our strategy, it's really a two-track strategy. There's the websites, as Sally was discussing earlier, and ITI as part of that. But then we're also looking at collaboration tools. So, we're making progress on all of them, on both of them, but we do have to consider the needs of other communities.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much. Yeah. And maybe we'll work to try to, with our staff and others in the SO/AC community, to work on trying to make this a priority because it's one of our priorities. And maybe that's where we'll go next. And okay. So, as time is not our friend because we started late, I want to find out from you on the plans for the future pilots and the YouTube, we would love to increase more YouTube streaming. What we've found is that when bandwidth is really an issue, the more people who are showing videos or the more bandwidth is needed, Zoom and others or webinars are also still using a good chunk of bandwidth, but if there's a streaming on YouTube, it reduces the amount of bandwidth significantly and so we want to learn what you, how you liked it, how it went well on the other one, and also what your plans are for the future. But firstly, Olivier, is this on this topic or...?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thanks, Judith. It was actually on the previous topic on the point that Carlos was making.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, so go on for that and then we'll go on to the others.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much, Judith. I just have to take a point on what Carlos has just been mentioning here, that there are other communities in ICANN and we have to weigh in the needs of our community with the needs of the other communities. And I'm somehow unhappy about this kind of way forward because at the end of the day, the At-Large

community is the most diverse community out there that will, of course, require the most different types of technology in order to be able to enable its full participation.

And so, this difficulty I have with what's being mentioned here as in we have to weigh the needs of our community or the At-Large community with the, let's say, the GNSO community or the ccNSO community is that we're dealing with very different communities with very different needs. And at the end of the day, ICANN in itself is an organization that has to operate on an international basis.

So, if another part of ICANN is predominantly U.S.-based or English language-based and our community just represents our community of, let's say, French or Spanish speakers is just a tiny little blog on this overall set of communities out there, I really hope that we're not shortchanging those communities that are out there that are probably seen as just one small part of the community, but are, in fact, the international part of ICANN which ICANN needs to absolutely defend. I hope I made myself clear. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Olivier. Yes. You really brought our point home. But it's just our frustration of keeping, getting pushback when it really hampers our work and hampers our ability to increase engagement and to get work done. So Carlos, I don't know if you can take that point to heart and...

CARLOS REYES:

Yeah. I'm happy to respond. I don't... That was... I think that's drawing a different conclusion from my comment. My point is more that as we gather requirements, we have to understand all those needs. This isn't about weighing one community against the other or pitting one community against the other. It's about capturing the universe of requirements, so that when we select a tool and work with users, it's something that meets the needs for all the communities. I think that's the approach we've taken with public comment. We've had very successful feedback sessions with focus groups representing almost all communities and I think the feature that the ITI team has built is something that really reflects the inputs and the pain points and, excuse me, addresses the pain points of the public comment experience. So that's, essentially, the same process we want to maintain for identifying tools and then deploying those tools.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Carlos. Okay, back. I know we're running over, but hopefully you can indulge us so we can actually just finish the discussion of YouTube. And I know, and maybe also Adam has any, also, feedback on whether he got anything from the IGF on their use of simultaneous YouTube for all the sessions. So, but maybe that was [inaudible] together. But Mark, I would like to turn to you on learning what are the future plans for using YouTube. Are we going to expand the use? Is it going to be for all the sessions at the same time? And there's also another way of we don't want... We have security issues on the Zoom rooms where people have to register to get to the schedule, but we could put together a YouTube schedule and then they won't have to register and they could see things, what they want, and then register.

Oh, I see those really interesting sessions. Okay, I'll register. So, I'm just putting those things out for you.

MARK SEGALL:

Hi, Judith. Yeah, the... I have stats that were briefly sent to me. I would have thrown this into a slide, but I literally got this over the weekend. But what we're seeing for the usage stats for YouTube was the DNS abuse was a very popular session. It had 118 playbacks, peak concurrent users were 28, and average watch time was about 16 minutes. And the others, it was at least four of those. Domain name, business, welcome ceremony, WHOIS changes under GDPR, and the AGM. They were all roughly about the same with playbacks and some were between 70 to 90 and the peak concurrent viewers were somewhere around 20, and they were all around 10 to 15 minutes of average watch time.

So, the early... It's tough to tell, based on early indicators how well this is being received. But I do know from chatting with the folks of Meetings Technical Team and with the Meetings Team, the plan is to expand the number of sessions. We're waiting on... From what I understand, having discussions with SO/ACs, there's some plans to potentially use, include additional higher interest sessions, but how many and which sessions has not been decided yet, so that's, I know, an ongoing discussion. Also, whatever is decided, there's going to need to be another step of comms and legal review just to make sure that all [of the ducks] are aligned.

And then as far as new functionality, there's been talk of adding whiteboarding for some working discussions. There's also using

available networking features with Pathable, which is our tool for the scheduling, or the schedule website, I should say, to allow one-on-one scheduling and meetings with other participants, use of community discussion boards, providing more post-session discussion rooms, possibly some [inaudible]. And then there's also some testing of integrating language interpretation directly in Zoom as opposed to needing to use Congress Rental app or website. This is... It's being tested, and hopefully, it will be available or ICANN 70 but is not yet complete in testing, so we can't confirm that yet.

And then, lastly, several discussions are in progress with SO/AC leadership on possible other improvements to the meeting format and features. Nothing tangible to [commit or] share at this stage, but lots of good discussion.

And then last, I actually had a question that the team wanted me to ask of this group, is currently we have been exploring new features for meetings but would you prefer, rather than focusing on new features, maybe focus on using the money and resources for expanding existing services, like providing more real-time transcription to more sessions or making interpretation more widely available? And that's basically the summary of what's been shared with me. I know I just gave a mouthful there. Is there any comments? And then obviously, if there's an answer to the question I just posed.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thank you so much. Yeah. It's a lot. I know we always have a current need for more RTP for sessions, but my, what I guess and what I never

understood is why is it that we cannot... Every year, we get RTT as a pilot under the ABRs, and then this year, we're told it's going into the core. But every year, we can't use that during the ICANN meetings. And that always boggles my mind because there's some rule that you can't.

And that would also alleviate some of the need that we could use the money for other things. But... And that's one thing that's always bothered me. But we... Yes, we will poll our community on asking that question on whether we want to use, get more RTT for more sessions or roll out new features.

But I know people would like whiteboards and I know integrating the language into the Zoom as well as issues with being able to have Zoom rooms or some other way of, other tool for generating other feedback and working in small groups and breakout groups, and sort of like as it looks more and more that ICANN 70 is going to be virtual, we want to get a head start on this. And we would love to be able to get some more tools or some more facilities even in our current tools of using Zoom rooms for breakout sessions, and even on the standing concerns of language and others even though we could use some other type of tools to do some language translation in the rooms.

But that is going to be... That's one of my priorities and I think we'll finish that discussion probably in the January. But I think what I would like to, even though we've gone over a little bit, is figure out what issues are we not, if we wanted to put some issues up for the additional budget requests which we have to do later this month and, say, early next month, what are ones that we can do or ones that you think, "Oh, well, you're spinning your wheels because it's not going to be done. It's

not going to be approved because of too many legal issues.” And if you could have any insight into that.

MARK SEGALL:

That one, I’d have to get back to you. Right now, I’m more of the messenger on this front and I’m working with the team to get a little bit more info. But it sounds like there’s some good conversation happening between the Meetings Team and the community on a number of topics we’ve just talked about. So, yeah. I don’t really have much else I could say on that one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah. So, if you can get back to me hopefully by the end of the month on these, so that, because we really... Because the way At-Large works, we have to get our budget requests in to our staff in the beginning of January, and so that’s why we need an answer before the end of the month on those issues. And I know, I’m recognizing the time, and I’ve gone over already. So, I thank you and I will put in the... We will, for next month, we will have the discussion that we missed this time. Sorry, Adam. I really thought I could get to it. And continue this exploring, as well as some of these topics we put on the agenda of trying out different application topics, different, what people have used. The IETF has used SpatialChat. Other people have used Gather Town, other ways. We’re trying to, as we are being virtual, trying to figure out ways, how we can have these whole room discussions, how we can have sort of breakout, how we can have increased physical contact and mirror what we have in meetings. And so, that’s what we’ll be, as a heads up,

focusing in our January meeting. And we will set the date for that shortly, but if there's any dates marked that you can't make, please do let us know.

And so, sorry, I am giving short ship to the topic that is extremely important but it seems like we just ran out of time. If anybody has any quick thoughts before we close the meeting, please let me know. Otherwise, Evin will set, we'll hear from Mark to see if he has any times he can't make in January, and then we will set the date for the next meeting. So, could you put that, make that as an AI that we're going to need to get dates from Mark and that we want to set our January meeting?

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Yes. Noted, Judith. Thanks so much. And thanks, everyone for [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Okay. And then also, put down an AI that comments from Mark, what we can do for the ABRs was not going to be a possibility because we need to get this done by the end of the month as we are on deadlines and they are fast-approaching. So thanks, all, for joining. And we will, I guess, end this call. And I'm sorry for going over.

MARK SEGALL:

Happy holidays, everybody.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Thank you all for joining today's call. This meeting is now adjourned.
Have a great rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]