
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO monthly teleconference call on Wednesday the 2nd of December 2020 at 18:30 UTC.

On the call today on the French channel, we have Abdeldjalil Bachar Bong, Aziz Hilali, and on the English channel we have Seun Ojedeji, Adri Loubser, Bob Ochieng, Bram Fudzulani, Chokri Ben Romdhane, Dave Kissoondoyal, Fatimata Seye Syllla, Oreoluwa Lesi, Raymond Manhattach, Sarah Kiden, Tijani Ben Jemaa, and Franklin Owusu.

From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, Yaovi Atuhoun and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management. Our interpreters for today are Isabelle and Camilla. And a friendly reminder that we also have real-time transcribing on the call. I am going to put it in the chat for everyone to follow along. Thank you very much, and a friendly reminder for everyone to please state their names when taking the floor so that the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels, and to please keep your microphones muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise. Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thanks a lot, Claudia. Hello everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. I trust we are all keeping safe and doing fine. This is our last call for this year. I think it's been a very interesting and challenging 2020, and I hope that we'll make use of the rest of the year. Without

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

wasting much time, I would just present the agenda to us. There's a draft agenda in front of us, and see if there's any comment or suggestion for addition or subtraction from the agenda. The floor is open for that.

All right, so that is the draft agenda, and of course, seeing no hand up and hearing no voice, I guess we are [okay] with the agenda. Then we'll move to the next agenda item, which is review of action items. Over to you, staff.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello. Yes. I think there is no action item. There is only one that was already completed. That was to schedule a call for ATLAS III ambassadors for fiscal year 21 outreach and engagement. So that was completed. Thank you. Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Silvia. And sticking on the call for the outreach and engagement, I think Silvia, it would be good to know what the final dates and time.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. So there will be a call tomorrow to discuss the implementation of the fiscal year 21 outreach and engagement AFRALO plan, and that is scheduled for 19:00 UTC. The invite is already on your calendars.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

All right. Thank you very much, Silvia, and of course, to all our members, you are welcome to join that call tomorrow, and of course, feel free to bring in ideas on how we can better implement our outreach and engagement plan.

So we'll move on to the next item which is public comment. The public comment is just one that is open. The other one closed today, that's the one for the IFR. It closes at 23:00 UTC, so there's still four hours left if anyone still wants to submit a comment. And last but not least is the recommendation for ICANN right now service strategy and implementation, which should be closing on the 8th of December. So for those who are interested in making a comment, please do so, and of course, if there's any member of either an ALS or individual member or any other person from our region, within our list that has a statement and feels that require our support, endorsement as AFRALO, please feel free to reach out to us, the officers, the AFRALO leadership or actually post it on the mailing list, afri-discuss and then we can pick it up from there. We will be very happy and glad to support or endorse any statement that is proposed to us, to AFRALO membership, we'll consider endorsing it. So please feel free to do so whenever you feel strong about a particular public comment document.

Having said that, seeing no hands up and hearing no voice or any comments regarding this item, we'll move to the next. I'll just quickly remind us of the At-Large policy resources that we have. As usual, the various policy resources capacity building workshop, it's right there. The link to the ALAC policy comment and advice and so on and so forth, they're all linked on that website.

Upcoming public comments for instance which ALAC is currently working on is two of them. Recommendation for ICANN root name service strategy and implementation is [inaudible] CPWG. The status is not yet decided, but the penholder is Martin. And of course, the ALAC advice to ICANN Board on subsequent procedures and ALAC minority statement for SubPro PDP final report is also one of the public comments that ALAC is currently looking into.

Without much ado, unless there's any comment or reaction to this part of the agenda, I would like to move to the next item, which is reports. As usual, we invite Pierre who is actually the VP of GSE Africa, and of course, we thank Pierre and his team for always making [inaudible] to join our meeting and provide updates on their work, and of course, for their continuous support for AFRALO.

So Pierre, Yaovi or Bob, who wants to take this?

YAOVI ATOHOUN:

Thank you, Seun. Pierre could not join the call, but I have also my colleague, Bob Ochieng who is on the call. So what we want to share with you as an update are a few engagement activities during the month of November. We have some event for multi-stakeholder community like webinar we had in Comoros organized by the ISOC chapter in Comoros. And what we also heard is that they are interested in becoming an [inaudible] contribute and participate in the region.

One was in the central Africa region and the second one was the global African IGF. So, we participated in sessions and also, we supported financially these two events. And also, one event was Benin DNS forum.

This also was organized by a group or association in Benin. And also, we had participants from other countries who joined the event. That was the [sixth] edition of that one. And then they share a report on also some research that some members in AFRINIC are doing on DNS and abuse-related. So I'm sure if you go to their website, you will see more on that one.

For the business community also, we had some activities, especially with AFICTA, which is African Information Communication Technology Alliances. So our team was also involved in their annual events.

And currently also happening in Nairobi, we have a regional event led by Lawyer Hub, and if you are available, I invite you to join. So my colleague, Bob, can provide more information on this event. Bob, over to you.

BOB OCHIENG:

Thank you, Yaovi. So this week, we are having what we're calling a masterclass on the interconnection between domain names, trademarks, intellectual property. This will be done in conjunction with an event that has been put together by lawyers, it's a lawyer startup ecosystem that brings together all lawyers across Africa to discuss technology and the legal impact. So it's really a discussion around legislation, around enforcing legal instruments as far as they relate to technology, and they felt that there is a nexus between domain names that have been discussed quite a lot, but has been having lawyers as a missing audience and we feel there is an opportunity to really bring this to the audience of lawyers and really help them understand and

motivate them to take the domain name process and the policy making thereof as part of what is of interest for the legal entities.

So it's happening tomorrow at 11:00 AM UTC, and we have a panel for 50 minutes and you are all invited. I'll share the links in the room. Thank you, and back to you, Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you, Bob. Seun, this is all we have as an update from GSE Africa. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thanks a lot, Yaovi. And so we move to the next item. Do we have Yazid or Paul on the call to give us any technical engagement updates?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi Seun, no, I'm not seeing either one on the call.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, because I also remember that Yazid wanted to do some updates during the last meeting, on ICANN 69, so that was why we still have that on the agenda item. But since they're not on the call, that's okay. But I'd just like to mention that regarding technical aspects, I'm aware that there was a NIRA —the Nigerian ccTLD in charge of the .ng domain name—webinar series that happened [inaudible] and organized by NIRA and ICANN with relation to DNS training sessions. So I'm aware of that because I kind of followed that. So I'm sure there are other technical

updates. maybe next call, Yaovi can kindly reach out to Yazid to be available for our next monthly call to provide us the updates.

Having said that, we move to the next agenda item, which is the recent and upcoming ALAC activities. We have Sarah, Dave and Abdulkarim. Who wants to take this?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Thank you very much. I think in terms of ALAC activities, [the first thing I would like to] is that we've not really had an ALAC meeting for this month. There's been call for various volunteer positions. We currently have calls out for the mentorship position, the selection committee, the IOR which is [some other] selections which is actually on at the moment.

Also, we had the ALT Plus meeting, which was on the 19th of November, and basically, not a lot is actually going on at the moment. It's getting towards the end of the year. That's all the updates I have [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Any addition from Sarah, Dave? Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN:

Hi everyone. Maybe just to add that the ALS mobilization final report has been sent. There was an extension that was given to RALOs to be able to provide their comments, and I think AFRALO had some suggestions that have been taken into account. So the final report has

now been sent to ALAC, and I think it will now be ready for voting anytime soon. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thank you, Sarah. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Seun. [inaudible] regarding the ratification of the final report of the ALS mobilization work party. When I opened the file of the report, I saw that under the title of bylaw change, it was mentioned that the bylaw change is still under discussion with the counsel, or ICANN Legal, if you want, and it will be submitted to the ALAC later.

I asked the question, is it appropriate to approve the report without the proposed bylaw change? This was my question. In my point of view, normally, the counsel shouldn't be consulted before ALAC approves the bylaw change proposal. If the ALAC is not okay with the changes proposed by the work party and we send them to the counsel, and suppose that counsel will approve them, then they will come back to the ALAC, ALAC will refuse them, it will be difficult. So I think that the best way to do is first to have all the bylaw change approved by the ALAC, send them to the counsel, and then the counsel will tell us if it is okay or not. Thank you.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Can I make a comment on that?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Yes, go ahead.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes, I totally want to agree with Tijani's suggestion, and I want to add that the report is currently how we're supposed to vote on it, and I think if I'm not mistaken, we're supposed to return our vote by 4th of December. I totally agree with Tijani that it seems to be putting the cart before the horse, and yes, it's something we have to look into. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Fatimata, you have the floor.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Related to that question, I just want to ask, what is the normal process? What do we usually do within ALAC [inaudible]? Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. I think it's probably better that current ALAC members say that. [inaudible] say based on my own experience may be outdated. Sarah, you have the floor, and if you can please also touch on the question of Fatimata.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi. I actually [didn't want] to respond to Fatimata, because I think current ALAC members can respond better, though I just wanted to suggest that just the same way we did with the comments in the previous round where we sent comments as a RALO, if we r to make any comment, I would suggest you coordinate, as the chair, Seun, the same way we did previously and send our position as a RALO. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sarah, I think you agree with me that the current ALAC members can respond to the question of Fatimata. So you're a current ALAC member as well, [I was thinking] that you could respond. All right, but the way I see it, if I may just use my past ALAC experience, is that normally ... From all the other processes in ICANN that has to do with legal issue, that has to do with bylaw, I've always understood that Legal is consulted before the final draft of the document is approved. So I think the clarification that we need to get is whether this is just this initial ... what ALAC is actually going through now is the process of initially approving a draft for Legal to look at and then maybe it comes back to ALAC or something like that. Otherwise, this is actually the final, it will be interesting, especially if it has to do with bylaw changes. At least it's good to get legal advice on that. Abdulkarim, you have the floor.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you very much, Seun. I just want to clarify the point that what happened now is it seems like the document has been divided into two. There is the report itself and then there is one that also comes with the bylaw change. What ALAC is trying to do is to ratify the report and later

come back with the bylaw change. To me, I think the two is supposed to go together because that was what was in the report that was submitted. And I think it's going to be complicated for us to have the report endorsed without the bylaw change in it.

Saying that, I think in terms of consulting legal first, I think yes, the opinion is the Legal needs to be consulted. My problem with that process is the fact that it's going to be interesting given the fact that—if Legal comes back and says it is fine, is ALAC now going to say, “No, we're not going to endorse this document?” It seems that they've will be actually boxed into a corner and say you have to endorse that report because it has gone through Legal and it's fine.

So I agree with Tijani that it should be the other way around. I'm not sure the way it was done in the past, but I think it should be the other way around. Thank you. And sorry, last thing I want to mention is the fact that voting is on at the moment, the three ALAC members we have to vote if we have already voted. I have not voted yet. I was planning to do it tonight. And it would be good for us to have a direction in which the community want us to vote. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you. What I wanted to say is that all the bylaw changes proposed [inaudible] are removed from the report now. There is only the mention that the bylaw change is now under discussion with the

counsel. And once approved by the counsel, they will be submitted to ALAC for approval. This is what is said inside the report.

I don't have any problem, but in my point of view, the bylaw change is part of the whole process of the ALS mobilization. So in my point of view—and you're right, Seun, we don't approve something that the counsel don't approve. But first, we have to approve to what we have to submit to the counsel. And this is something that we didn't do. This is the issue. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thank you, Tijani. Thank you to everyone. I think what I would suggest is that it will be good that ALAC members from the region, to know if ALAC members from the region have also raised this with ALAC. Importantly, apart from AFRALO making their own comments, if it's applicable, I think that some of the things that have been raised by ALAC members can also be taken forward by ALAC members from the region. So I hope ALAC members from the region will also raise this with the rest of the ALAC members and then feed us back on how this is going.

Generally, I think unless I see strong support from this call to initiate a process to send a formal statement to the ALAC leadership, which I would rather then suggest that we put it as an action item for the chair to engage the chair of ALAC on this matter, and then I'll report back, probably on the mailing list or the next meeting. I would not think that this should be a process that we'll start getting further comments on. I think I would just, as chair, do it as an action item, unless I see an opposition to that suggestion, then we see what we do. Abdulkarim.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you very much, Seun. What I want to say is we need to put in a vote, and we need to do that between today and in two days' time. We're going to vote for the document. I don't have a problem with yes vote, no vote, abstain vote depending on what the community wants. I don't have a personal opinion. My personal opinion is that it's not really so much a big deal, but it depends on what the community wants and I want you to give us a direction you want us to go. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. I just want to say something. For us as AFRALO, unless I'm hearing from members that this is a significant matter, this is actually a procedural thing and the important part is that the items or the sections that are applicable to the bylaw change have been separated, and that is the most important for me. If it has been separated and the chair of the ALAC and the rest of the ALAC members feel that this is how they want to go in terms of the process and they don't mind going back and forth if need be, then that's fine. I don't think that we should as a community take that as a red line, unless I hear the red line from this floor. Otherwise, like I said, I would personally just make it as a remark or a comment with the ALAC chair but not necessarily as a statement from AFRALO, a strong red line from AFRALO, because I don't think I'm seeing strong support to do that on this call. So for whether you should support this statement or not, I think for us at AFRALO, that is our position and I would suggest that so long as the content is what we can live with, I wouldn't see any reason why we would not support it. So I'll leave it to the ALAC members to decide on whether they want to

support it or not, but [inaudible] from the region and you can make a decision. I would personally suggest coordination between the ALAC members. I hope that will happen. It used to happen when I was in ALAC and I hope the ALAC members are coordinating themselves as well. Of course, you don't always have to agree [inaudible].

So seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, and I see that staff has taken note of the action item for the chair—

REMMY NWEKE: Hello chair.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, Remmy.

REMMY NWEKE: Yeah. Thank you, Mr. Chair. Given the narrative that surrounds the item under discussion and your promise to deal with the ALAC chair, [wouldn't that be more clear] [inaudible] region of AFRALO [inaudible] and therefore the ability of us seeking an extension for the deadline [inaudible] Friday.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Remmy. So my engagement with the ALAC chair is just to put a note, just like a suggestion. So personally, like I said, I wouldn't be asking for extension or for abstention for them to adjust anything. I'm just going to be making the suggestion that it would be good that this is

done this way. But unless I see a strong support for us to actually take this strongly—and I see Fatimata, I want to assume Fatimata is agreeing with my suggested way forward with that check mark—unless I see strong opinion to actually take this as a red line, which I don't think we should, but of course, I'm here to listen to what the members say. So I hope that answers your question, Remmy. The intention is not to ask for an extension or clarification because we've already gotten all the clarification we've needed on this call in terms of how the document was separated. My intention is just to say to the chair of ALAC on suggestion that it will be good that this is done together. But of course, if the ALAC still feel that they want to continue that way, then I think that it shouldn't be a major issue for us so long as the content is something that we can live with.

So on that note, I would suggest we move to the next item. We actually spent a lot of time on this action item, which is actually a good thing, and we can move to the next agenda item which is NomCom updates. Do we have Hadia on the call?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

The 2021 Nominating Committee has nine open leadership positions to fill. So we have three open positions for the ICANN Board of directors, a three-year term each, and then one open position for the ccNSO council, and this is a three-year term, and then we have three open positions, two-year term each for the ALAC, one for Africa, so we have a seat for Africa 2021, one for Asia, Australia and the Pacific, and one for Latin America and the Caribbean islands.

And then we have two open positions for the GNSO. Each is a three-year term, and they're both voting positions, one for the Contracted Party House and the other for the Noncontracted Party House.

The other thing I would like to mention is that we are starting the 2021 NomCom onboarding sessions next week. We will have three sessions on the 8th, 9th and 10th of December. Each session will be five hours each. That's it for me, and thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Hadia. Thanks for the update. There you have it, for those who are maybe interested in some of those positions, maybe you have people who are suited for that position, please spread the word. Any question for Hadia before I move on? Yes, you have the floor.

REMMY NWEKE:

Thanks, Hadia, for the report. Very quickly, [as there are a number of openings ending in December.] Hello.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Sorry. I can't hear well. The sound is not clear. I can hear you but it's not clear.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Yeah, I heard Remmy, and what he was asking is, are there any open positions that are closing end of this year?

HADIA ELMINIAMI: No. How NomCom operates, the positions should be filled by the AGM, the annual general meeting of 2021. So the process of the applications will be open ... We did not yet decide when, but most probably it will be sometime around January where we will have the applications for the positions. Then the process starts from there. Once you fill in the application, and then the period of receiving application ends, we start after that contacting the candidates for the various positions.

So no, the short answer is nothing is available for 2020, which is almost ending. But all positions are to be filled by AGM 2021. The process starts in January [most probably.]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. I hope that is satisfactory to Remmy. We move on to the next item. And of course, like I said, I wanted to recognize [inaudible] on the call. I don't know whether he wants to say a few words.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Hello Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. You're welcome.

LEÓN SANCHEZ: Thank you. Just as usual, it's a pleasure to be with you in this session. I apologize for missing the last one. As I said, I had some overlapping obligations and I had to miss that last call. But I'm here now again. I am

glad that you are having a robust discussion, the ALS mobilization document that is out for vote for the ALAC. It is a very interesting discussion.

And I would also like to give you a heads up, the activity that the board took the day before yesterday, that is November the 30th, the board voted on the approval of the ATRT3 final report and it approved the five recommendations that are in the ATRT3 final report, along with 15 components that integrate those five recommendations. So you will be receiving notice soon about this approval, a blog post is about to be published later this week or maybe by the beginning of next week, but the resolution has been passed, and I thought it was important for you to be aware that this final report has been approved, or these recommendations in the final report have been approved by the board. So of course, we have members of the ATRT3 that come from AFRALO and I would like to thank them for the very hard work [inaudible] along these—I believe it was 18 months of activity. And of course, having to deal with the very trying circumstances that we are all facing through this pandemic. So of course, I speak on behalf of the board when I say we are very grateful for the work that everyone is doing during these very trying times. So with that, Seun, I would like to again thank you for having me, and I will remain in the call if I'm allowed so that I can continue to follow your discussions. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Definitely, you're absolutely allowed. Thanks, León, for always making it to attend our calls. We are very happy to see you, and of course, we are glad to have the vice chair of the board [inaudible].

All right. the next item on the agenda is the UA, universal acceptance update. Do we have Abdalmonem on the call? If not, Abdulkarim, Malik, either of them can also take the floor. Briefly, please, because we are actually running out of time.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you very much. There is not a lot that is going on at the moment because of COVID restrictions and lockdown. What we've been encouraged to do is to coordinate local activities within the region, with our local community. And also, we've been working on some updates in terms of trying to [inaudible] so that we can have a better understanding of what universal acceptance is at the moment. And in terms of our local community, I will be delivering a lecture in February to the Nigerian Society of engineers on universal acceptance. That's the update from my side. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Abdulkarim. And of course, we hope that the universal acceptance ambassadors would be at our outreach and engagement call tomorrow so that we can also discuss this local initiative as part of implementation of outreach and engagement plan. Thanks for the update. The next agenda item is unaffiliated individual mobilization work party update. Esther, Caleb, Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi everyone. I see Esther and Caleb are not on the call, so I can give an update. And Seun, you can also add something if I miss. So the

discussion in the working group are progressing. Right now, the discussion is around conditions for one to be allowed as an individual member, and the question being asked is can a member of an At-Large Structure also be allowed to be an unaffiliated individual member in their RALO? so I think that has been an ongoing discussion for a few weeks now.

Then looking at the reasons that can allow someone to be a member of both, so you're a member of your ALS but you're also an unaffiliated individual member. And the other thing is terminology, basically, I think the work party is coming up with a list of words or trying to define some of these words, what does unaffiliated member mean, who is an individual member, and all the other terms so that we have one place where all this was defined.

Then finally, the work party is working on the outline of the report that will be submitted to the ALAC for voting. I think that's it for me. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you very much, Sarah. Do we have updates from any other person? Okay, seeing no hands up, I think Sarah ... Okay, Abdulkarim, I see your hand up. You have the floor.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Mine is not an update addition. I just wanted to ask that it would be good for us as a community to understand what exactly AFRALO wants in terms of the individual members, because it's getting to a stage

where a decision has to be taken now. And it would be good to move away from what we think to what the community really wants. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sarah, I see your hand up. You have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: I think later on, we have the agenda item for operating principles, and I think the working group being cochaired by Isaac and Abdeldjalil have done some work with regards to individual members in AFRALO. So maybe that will respond to some of the questions. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you. I'm not sure what Abdulkarim is referring to in terms of what we think or what the community thinks. I personally am one of the participants in the individual mobilization work party, and of course, there are other people on the call [inaudible]. So if there is any matter that any individual feels that we should be responding to as AFRALO which we are not responding to yet, let it be known. And then we'll also seek community support for it, and once we get that, we'd actually put it through formally as a community opinion. I hope that answers Abdulkarim's comment.

So we move on to the next agenda item, which is 4(g), recent and upcoming AFRALO ALS activities. Anyone, any ALS, any member want to give an update? The floor is open. Michel, you have the floor.

INTERPRETER: We're not hearing him.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. While the audio for Michel is being looked into, any other member want to give an update? Okay, seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, I suggest we move to the next agenda item, which is five, updates to items for discussion, which is AFRALO working group on review of operating principles. Isaac or Abdeldjalil. Who wants to take this? The floor is yours. Isaac is not on the call, so Abdeldjalil, you have the floor. Staff, do we have Abdeldjalil?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, we do. He's on the bridge. One moment, let me make sure.

SEUN OJEDEJI: If Michel's audio has been resolved, Michel, you can speak. Please go ahead.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: The operator is checking both lines. They're both on the bridge. One moment.

MICHEL TCHONANG: I will try to speak in English. Thank you very much to give me the floor. I thank all of you because you take part in this meeting. I'm very glad

because it's our last meeting of the year. Of course, this year was very difficult for all of us. [I encourage that of you to manage very well before next year be a beautiful year.]

So my ALS plans to organize some meetings for the next [days,] 18th to 19th of December. I think that if some of you have lots of time, I can send you an invitation because we plan to organize it physically [and as a webinar.] That is all about my [information.] Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Michel, and of course, thanks for informing us about your event, and of course, we wish you all the best. Please accept our regards on this. And of course, as much as possible, let us know if you require support. And of course, if the support is within our reach, we will be happy to provide. I think I should also recognize Raymond. Raymond [gave the lead on his SIG,] and of course, [IG SIG—]Ghana SIG, and of course, it was a success. I was also honored to be invited as a keynote speaker for that event as AFRALO chair, and I think it was a good session. Thanks also for inviting me, Raymond, and regards to all the EGIGFA team.

All right, those are the updates that are on this item. With that, if there are no further comments, we'll move on to the next item, which is the implementation of our outreach and engagement plan for FY 2021. The first news is that we now have a co-chair for the outreach and engagement from the region. You would recall that Fatimata was our previous co-chair, and of course, she actually contributed immensely to the drafting of the implementation strategic plan for the FY21, and we

thank her very much for years of contribution and of course, we are very sad to see her leave the job, but of course, we are encouraged that she remains in the community.

So we welcome Bram. Bram is now the new outreach and engagement co-chair and of course, Bram is known to a number of us in the community, and we have no doubt that Bram is going to do a good job on this role, and we'll also definitely be supporting him. So please, tomorrow is when we'll actually be hearing from Bram, he's going to be giving a remark tomorrow, and of course, we're going to collectively be discussing the implementation of the outreach and engagement strategy. So I encourage members who are on the call to please try to attend the call tomorrow and come with ideas. That is the most important, please come with ideas. We all want to be engaged, having good discussions tomorrow. So please let's come with ideas on how to get some of these things implemented.

All right. So we move on to the next item, which is updates from the newsletter team. Remmy, you have the floor.

REMMY NWEKE:

Hello Seun. Thank you very much. Once again, we thank the community for the opportunity to serve on this level. We have been able to produce [inaudible] three editions for the year. This last part of it has not received the required support from our community in terms of responses. Our contributors are not also living up to expectation with their contributions. We hope that before end of the year, [inaudible] another edition to sum it up.

So we plead with everyone, especially those who may have an idea of events from the community, those who have also announced their own on this meeting, we invite them to drop us a line not exceeding 200 words about their events and share it with us. [inaudible] e-mail or share it on the AFRALO list and you can put it up there as long as it is marked for [inaudible].

So we appeal to those who we expect to have a permanent column, like the chair, the GSE office, to also get their contents across to us because we're actually running late on that. based on our timeline, the latest one should be out by 12th of this month, but I don't see that happening sooner except if we [move up the agenda of] ensuring that this last edition of the year comes out with our contributions and content.

So we thank everyone who has contributed so far and also ask that people should submit content, especially our contributors. Thank you very much

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you. And thanks for the reminder. I myself am also liable on this, so the chair will also be making sure to put in his comments, his own section, content very soon. But can I also suggest an action item for AFRALO newsletter leads, Remmy to send—I think it would probably be good to send a reminder to the mailing list, to the afri-discuss list indicating this specific deadline for submission. And of course, there will definitely be a [inaudible] review of the final timeline. It says 12th. 12th if just next week if my calendar is right. So I'll suggest that the

newsletter team actually think around a review of the timeline and send the reminder on the deadline for submission of content.

REMMY NWEKE:

Thank you. We'll try to do that. [inaudible] deadline first, then we can look at the adjusting or [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thanks. All right, so there's an action item for the AFRALO newsletter team to send updates and reminder to the mailing list. Okay, so we move on to the next agenda item on the agenda, which is call for SOAC—this particular one is, I think during the ALAC updates, it's been mentioned. So there's a link to it. If there's anyone who's interested, please feel free to actually respond to the call.

The next item is the RALO FY21 funding request for support on outreach and engagement activity. This is an opportunity for members who want to perform [inaudible] outreach activity to actually submit a request for it. You would find in the link—I would ask the staff to post in chat the link to the request page in the chat. You would find reference to the process and what it is that you can actually request support for. I would remind us that there are some kind of restrictions that have been placed on face-to-face kinds of requests, but of course, there's been a little flexibility that's been introduced. So please feel free to look at that page which has been shared in the chat and please feel free to submit a request. Please don't delay on the request. If your event is planned for two or three months, please submit now. The earlier the better, and of course, we would also follow up promptly with the submission.

Okay, seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, we'll move to the next agenda item, which is about AFRALO membership matters. So I give the floor to Abdeldjalil. I hope his audio is now good. Abdeldjalil, you have the floor.,

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Thank you very much, Seun. Thank you for giving me the floor. And I would like to go ahead and talk about membership. ALAC accredited ALSes for Africa, E-Governance and Internet Governance for Africa which is in Ghana. We have contact points, Raymond and Sarata.

There is also in Tanzania the Community Network, so it is a great pleasure to welcome them amongst us, and we also have individual members, one from Tunisia, [and Silas Bobai,] and I would like to welcome them into the AFRALO family.

I would like to ask all of you to support them and welcome them into our family. And also, as far as what [inaudible] said on the AFRALO working group, a survey will be sent to individual members, a survey that will need to be filled out before December 4th. And I just wanted to add on that detail. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Abdeldjalil, for providing this update, and once again, as the secretariat has said, welcome to the new ALS members, and specifically EGIGFA and Tanzania Community Network Alliance. You are both welcome and we look forward to your continued participation within AFRALO, and of course, in ICANN as a whole.

All right, so this is where we are now on item seven. I'm not seeing any hands up. Is there anyone that wants to react to the update that has been given by secretariat? Okay, seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, we would move to the next item, which is AOB. Oh, Silvia, you have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, Seun. Thank you so much. Just a kind reminder to all individuals that staff will resend the survey that Abdeldjalil has mentioned which is asking the individuals several important questions. So please be so kind to look out for that e-mail and complete the survey by December 4th, please. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Thanks a lot, Silvia. [And here we have the importance of this. We'd appreciate the individual members] [inaudible] survey to please do so ASAP. Any Other Business.

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Pastor Peters.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Go ahead. You have the floor.

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Good evening, everybody. I'm sorry, I didn't get the invitation for this call. I think Abdulkarim called me almost on tail end of the meeting. But

all the same, [I have a] question to the chair on what has been decided with regards to the ALS mobilization report and if there are issues that are left to be discussed. I just want a brief update so that I know what [inaudible] going forward, [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Hello Pastor Peters. For the invitation, I think there's usually a Google update. [At-Large, a google invite] is usually sent. [There is an] At-Large Google calendar URL that you can probably still add to your Google account so that you just get it automatically. Maybe staff can share that URL, but of course, I can also find that and share with you later. Maybe if staff can find that, you can share it in the chat for the information of others as well.

As for your second question, the mobilization report, my understanding is that it's currently being voted upon by ALAC. As you know, we have sent a comment earlier which is the process we went through some time ago, and I understand that the comments are being taken into consideration.

So we had earlier in this call discussed the matter with regards to separation of the changes regarding the bylaw and whether it should actually ... [whether it supports the current one or old, and then do it at once. And my proposal then, which there was no opposition to, was that I engage the chair just to make a suggestion that that may be a good thing to do, not as opposition to the process but as a suggestion.

The understanding is that the contents of the report itself is not impacted, but it would have been good that the process ... to send it for

the bylaw and the approval of the actual content be done together. So we have an action item or the chair to follow up with the chair of ALAC to make a suggestion. Not necessarily an opposition to the process that ALAC is following, if they choose to still follow that process.

And I also encourage ALAC members who are from this region to also make a remark to the ALAC membership, because it's also important to say that ALAC members from the region, while it's good to bring the updates to this floor, it's also good to be able to hear from the ALAC members, okay, this is the same thing that we feel as ALAC members from the region and this is what we also told the chair of ALAC. So I think it's important that we have these discussion as well. So that is a summary of the ALS mobilization. So long as the content of the report is not something we have a red line on, I will just be following up on the process. I hope that answers your question, Pastor Peters.

PASTOR PETERS OMORAGBON: Thank you very much for the update. I just want to quickly remark on Tijani's e-mail that I saw, very late also, and to also express my concern on the process being adopted by Alan with regards to the adoption of the ALS reports. The method by which we have not adopted what was recommended to ALAC before sending it to the legal department of ICANN [inaudible] concern because number one, the legal department were not and is not part of the ALS mobilization work party. I understand, yes, it was there as observer. It was supposed to be there as observer. Its role only becomes relevant after ALAC have studied our report and [inaudible] adoption before it is sent to the ICANN legal team to look at what has been adopted.

So we're in a situation where Alan actively working in contact with the legal team through [inaudible] legality of what we've done. To me, this negates the process of transparency, because number one, Alan was not given the mandate to take such decision on behalf of the work party. So I am for due process, so I do not see why certain activities or actions should be circumvented or should be [inaudible] to decisions or actions.

So I want my concern to be recorded and expressed because within this community, every one of us who are involved in ICANN are stakeholders and no one's interest is bigger or more important than the other. So that is one area I want to express concern about. I've done this in writing in the past, even before we had our calls, but I'm still surprised that the procedure is still going on unchecked by Alan and whoever is giving him the go ahead to do that. Thank you, Mr. Chairman.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thank you. My understanding is that the report is on ALAC's table right now. I'm not sure I get the aspect of the way Alan is actually coordinating things, but I would try to get clarification of the other chair. But of course, it would be good if there are members of the work party on the call apart from Pastor Peters to actually provide more clarification on what Pastor Peters has said just now. I see Abdulkarim's hand up. I thought I was going to give you back a minute, but it looks like this is not the case, and I'm not happy that Pastor Peters is taking us back to the agenda item that we have discussed, but I'll make this exception. Thank you.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you very much, Seun. I just want to ask members of AFRALO that were in the work party the same question you asked them, and also to ask specifically if they have endorsed this report, [inaudible] ALAC members so that we can have a good sense of what transpired. Was the document brought back for them to endorse and to split into two?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Do we have any other member of the work party on the call? Remmy.

REMMY NWEKE: Thank you. I'm a member of that working group but I didn't get [inaudible] working group was debriefed. So [inaudible] it seems that we got this confused why the [inaudible] level of engagement. [inaudible] working group. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you. Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: I was also a member of this work party and I don't think endorsement happened at work party level, so the report had already been forwarded to ALAC and that's where the separation happened. So the work party had already handed over, and everything else that has

happened after that, the comments from RALOs and all these other things are at ALAC level. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you for the clarification. I hope that also provides some clarification to Pastor Peters as well. But my action item is still there. I would still advise the ALAC leadership that it would be good that they do the bylaw change and the report together after getting the feedback on the bylaw changes from Legal. But like I said, it is still just going to be a recommendation, not necessarily that we oppose the content of the report. Neither do we have a strong opposition to the approach that they're taking. And so long as the content of the report does not get lost or missing in the final outcome.

So I would take it as there are no other AOB. Any other AOB?

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Seun, I have one AOB.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Go ahead, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Okay. My AOB was just to thank you and each and every one of the members for your participation. This is the last monthly call of 2020. I want to thank all of you for your participation to our GSE colleagues for your collaboration, and to wish you all the best. Happy holidays, happy

new years. And I'm sure next year will be a much better year for all of us, on behalf of our colleagues and At-Large staff. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Silvia. And before, I was thinking I was going to give us some extra time from this call, but I'm actually coordinating in the background to see if I can actually get Alan to quickly join this call and provide some clarification on the current state of the work party's work and then with regards to the bylaw update [and next steps.] So I don't know whether staff is able to quickly reach out to Alan. [inaudible]

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Alan is joining now.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

So maybe we can get the clarification, and of course, perhaps provide a better point of information for us. Alan, thank you for this. Sorry for the short notice. Welcome to our call and thanks for making it. The quick update we want to get from you is what is the status of the report. We saw an update from staff on ALAC voting on something. We've also heard that there's some discussion on bylaw changes [inaudible] separation. In a few minutes, can you give us an update on the status of the report? Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Yes, I would be glad to. The report, with the exception of the bylaws, has been finalized, and the changes address the issues that AFRALO had

identified. And that's been presented to the ALAC, and Maureen, I believe, is initiating a vote on that.

As I mentioned on a number of calls, we have had some additional comments from the office of the legal counsel on the proposed bylaw changes, and those of you who are in the work party know that we took a very minimalist position of trying to change as little as possible. The indications I'm getting back at this point are that they think that perhaps we need to make some more extensive changes. None of them changing any intent, but just clarifying more wording for things in the bylaws that are not quite accurate or not quite clear.

So at this point, my recommendation was to pull the bylaws and discuss those separately and also have a discussion within the ALAC to make sure the intent of the bylaw changes that we were requesting would be okay.

The bylaw changes themselves, if you look at them, address three different things. They clarify and correct some wording in the first paragraph of the ALAC bylaws. They corrected and clarified the use of the terms "accredit" and "certify," which were used interchangeably and somewhat confusingly in the bylaws because of the history of how they were written. And the last one was to make clear the concept of individual users, which the bylaws still presume was an issue addressed in memorandum of understanding. That was never fixed after the first At-Large review which recommended that all RALOs have individual members.

So there's nothing in the bylaw changes that really either rely on the rest of the report or that the rest of the report relies on. The only common link between the bylaw changes and the rest of the report is they both came out of the work party due to our review of all the documents.

So pulling out the bylaws does not, in any way, weaken the rest of the report, nor does including it strengthen the report. So because there were some questions that the wording needs to be changed, it seemed to be wise to pull that out. That means if the ALAC approves it, we can start the implementation process and start going forward looking at exactly how to do this, which we can't do until we get formal approval.

The bylaws are not likely to go to the board until after the individual user work party is finished. So they're not going to go to the board yet anyway, so there's no real great rush on them. So that's where we stand right now.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Alan. Just one more question. The changes on the bylaw, when the wordings are finalized, will it go to ALAC for approval or the work party [inaudible]?

ALAN GREENBERG:

The ALAC certainly has to formally approve the intent, because the ALAC then has to request that the board make the changes. Within ICANN, the normal method for changing bylaws is the group that's initiating it essentially says what they're trying to accomplish and it goes

to the office of the general counsel for actual wording of the bylaws. So it's rather unusual in ICANN that a group like the At-Large or ALAC really does the exact wording of the bylaws.

So typically, the office of the general counsel is involved in the final wording. But the ALAC certainly has to approve the intent and either based on whoever drafts the actual bylaws, the ALAC must approve it to say that is what they want because otherwise, the board would be foolish to act on it if the group that wants the changes is not fully in support of it. So yes, that has to go to the ALAC, either once or twice depending on the exact method that's used for drafting.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay. Thanks for the clarification, and thanks, Alan, once again for the short notice and for making it to our call.

ALAN GREENBERG:

If I may, one more thing. Someone said in the chat, we have a deadline of the end of this year and really by the Christmas holiday to get a report to the board on the status of the At-Large review, which is one of the reasons we're trying to get this approved prior, because it's the critical outstanding issue in the At-Large review at this point. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

All right. Thanks again, Alan. And of course, any other updates, any other AOB? All right. Seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, I would like to thank everyone who attended this call. I'd like to thank all the staff members and the tech team, the interpreters, everyone who made

this call possible. It's our last call for the year, and of course, this is where we wish us all a merry Christmas and a happy new year in advance, and of course, those who are on holiday, we normally have holidays elsewhere but we'll be [inaudible] because of the COVID. Sorry about that. And of course, life is more important. Enjoy your time as much as possible, and of course, let's keep in touch on the mailing list because we still have a lot to do. The call tomorrow, please let's all try to join it. Thanks again and bye for now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Seun. Thank you, everyone. Bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Happy holidays, everybody. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]