

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC Monthly Teleconference call on Tuesday, the 24<sup>th</sup> of November 2020 at 02:00 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel we have Maureen Hilyard, Holly Raiche, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Dave Kissoondoyal, Gregory Shatan, John More, Justine Chew, León Felipe Sanchez, Marita Moll, Pierre-Jean Darres, Erich Schweighofer, Roberto Gaetano, Sarah Kiden, Satish Babu, Shreedeeep Rayamaji, Sébastien Bachollet, and Yrjö Lansipuro. Also Brian Gutterman has just joined the call. Thank you, Brian.

From staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdogan, Michelle DeSmyter, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

We also have Alan Greenberg who has just joined the call.

Our Spanish interpreters for today are Veronica and David, and our French interpreters are Isabelle and Jacques.

We have received apologies from Natalia Filina, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Joanna Kulesza, Yeşim Nazlar from staff.

Also we have Silvia Vivanco from staff. Thank you, Silvia.

A friendly reminder, we also have real-time transcribing on the call. I will put the link in the chat in one moment for you to follow along. And a friendly reminder for everyone taking the floor, please state your name every time you take the floor so the interpreters can identify you on the

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

other language channels. Also, please keep your microphones muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise. Thank you very much. With this, I turn the call over to you, Maureen.

CARLOS RAÚL GUTIÉRREZ: Carlos Gutiérrez. I'm also on the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Did we mention Carlos? Did we not mention him? I'm sure we did, Carlos. Okay. That's good. That's good. Welcome, everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening wherever you may be. Thank you so much for being with us today. I know it's been sort of like a pretty hectic week. We've been putting things into the agenda, pulling them out, and changing things around. It's quite a busy schedule today, and we really want to get through as much as we can and just going through the agenda so that if there's anything that people want to vary or add, you may do so. I'll just go through it.

We're going to have, first of all, an introduction to our new ALAC members. I know that during the ICANN69 we did meet several of them. Two of them are old hands anyway, and we hope that the other two who are newbies do turn up during the meeting at least.

There's a few action items that we're going to get through, the policy section, and the usual ALS and individual members update. If there are any reports from liaisons, [inaudible] RALO leaders may be able to have some inputs, either there or in the work plan section. We have to

---

welcome our Board member, León Sanchez. It's very nice to have you with us, León. Thank you very much for coming.

After we've done the big thing on the work plan, we'll have an update on what we're actually going to be doing with regards to the ALS Mobilization Report. Really good discussion happening during the week. So it's good that we've been able to come up with something that I think caters for everybody.

Then we're going to have Brian Gutterman. Thank you, Brian, for coming early. You're right at the very end, I'm so sorry. But at the same time we invite Brian [regularly] to update us on his area of work.

We'll end the meeting with just an update on ABRs, which is the big thing for us. Over the next couple of months we'll be working on that.

If there's anything that anyone else wants to add as Any Other Business or anything to add if you'd like, put your hand up right now. I'll give you a few seconds. Right. It's a full enough agenda as it is anyway. So thank you very much.

Okay. Back to the top of the agenda again. One of the things that we do have with regards to our new ALAC members, as I said, Greg and Sarah have been with us for quite a while, although there are people within the system who may not know them as well as we do. So what I'm actually offering is that they can have two minutes to give a brief introduction to themselves. I'm sorry, Sarah, I've only just added your name to the list. I keep forgetting that you're new because you have been part of the At-Large community for so long, it seems, that I just sort of like assumed that you were there. Sorry. I just want you to give

---

us a two-minute rundown on yourself. But let's start off with Greg because I know he's here. Just in case anybody doesn't know Greg, he's going to introduce himself. Two minutes, Greg. Thank you.

GREG SHATAN:

Hi. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. This is Greg Shatan. It's my pleasure to be the newest NomCom appointee from North America to the ALAC. I am not new. I have been involved in ICANN since 2007 when I first joined a working group and ran across many of the giants, some of whom are still with us today. I attended my first ICANN meeting in 2013. In between then I just worked on working groups because I thought that's what this was about. I guess that was good preparation for this year since I never showed up live. And here I am again showing up not quite live.

I live in New York. I work as a lawyer on technology and intellectual property and Internet, and disability, accessibility spaces for a 100-year-old law firm in the Chrysler Building called Moses & Singer. I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I've got two kids, 28 and 21. I live in Greenwich Village near the Strand Bookstore, if anybody knows that place, so 18 miles of books just around the corner from me and I have bought most of them over time.

I'm very excited to be part of this. I think ALAC plays a unique role in the ICANN ecosystem. I look forward to working heavily in policy, but also in terms of organizational excellence and improvement since that's all we try to do all the time, is to excel and improve at the same time. That

---

might be two minutes, it might not be, but I will turn it back to our Chair. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you so much, Greg. It's so great to have you on board. Interesting to find out a little bit more about some of the members on our team. Sarah, may we have just a bit of introduction from you, please?

SARAH KIDEN:

Hi, everyone. Good morning. It's 2:00 AM my time so if my voice sounds funny, that's why. My name is Sarah Kiden. It's my privilege to be selected in this position as an ALAC member from AFRALO. I am new but not new. New as an ALAC member but I've been around for a few years now. I joined the ICANN community in 2013, just like Greg, as an ICANN Fellow. Then I dropped off for a bit to kind of figure out where I fit into this whole ecosystem. Then I came back through the Fellowship Program and I was elected as an AFRALO Secretariat, a role I've been holding since 2016 to 2020. Now I've been selected as an ALAC member.

Outside of the ICANN community, I am a Marie Curie Research Fellow on a joint program between Northumbria University and Mozilla. My research is basically around the possibilities for Internet of Things for community. So that's what I do basically for my day job.

I'm happy to be here. I'm happy to learn from other people. I'm really excited that I have so many people that I can learn from. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: It's great having you on board, too, Sarah. She's been such an excellent participant in a lot of the work that we've been doing within At-Large. She's just one of the family already. So, welcome.

I'm still having a little look through. I can't see Pari and Cindy as yet, but when they arrive we can actually call them in to introduce themselves.

Since we got that, we'll have the agenda back again. Let's go through some of the action items that are sort of leftovers from ICANN69. Okay. The first one is Evin was going to request a template from Comms for future ICANN meeting talking points. Evin is not on the call. Is Jonathan on the call?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Maureen, we do have Evin on the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, okay. Yes. And she's got her hand up.

EVIN ERDOGDU: Thank you, Maureen. Yes, that is in progress. I think when we get a bit closer to ICANN70, I'll work with Comms to get a nice template for our next ALAC/At-Large talking points.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's good. But we can tick that one. I'm sure you'll get that one done. Is Jonathan here?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: No. We do not have Jonathan on the call yet.

MAUREEN HILYARD: And neither is Olivier. Actually, I must admit this was something that Olivier has been discussing with Joanna. She may mention that later on. She's got a recording. She might mention that. So, pass on that one.

Next one, Daniel. Daniel? Looking at Individual User Education Campaign. He's not here either.

HEIDI ULLRICH: We do not have Daniel, Maureen. No.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. All right. Oh my gosh. These are my work plan people. Why have we gone back to the agenda? We're still going through the action items. Right. Okay.

Those ones are for Seun. Seun for AFRALO. I'm sure he's sorting out this. Can we go up a bit? There's some at the bottom of it I'm sure.

From the GAC and ALAC Leadership team. Okay. Staff to schedule ALAC/GAC call regarding EPDP and next steps after ICANN69. Is that you, Yrjö?

YRJÖ LANSIPURO: Yes. I'm here. Good morning. Yeah. I apologize. I haven't written the report yet. So that will appear in the Liaison Report section. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: All right. That's fine, that's fine. Okay. The other one was the CPWG to include comparative analysis of those positions on SubPro. I'm sure that's been done, isn't it? No? Oh, that's a report. Okay. Cool.

Well, that looks like everything. Is that everything covered then? Heidi, is that everything? Oh, I see my name there. Yrjö and I are going to be working with Manal to actually get a GAC liaison for the ALAC. I don't know who they've selected yet, if they've selected anyone at all, actually, yes. And Yrjö is working on the GAC meeting. Okay.

Doesn't sound very organized, does it? But we'll be checking off some of those things as we [inaudible]. Any questions on any of those action items? Is there anything anyone who can add anything to any of the action items that we're going to do?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Not seeing any hands up. I want to let you know that we now have Jonathan on audio.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Okay. I don't think that in that item that Jonathan and Olivier were on with regards to human rights and the NCSG discussions that I



---

know that Olivier and Joanna have been having, so I'm not sure how involved Jonathan was in there. Any comments, Jonathan? Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Yeah. Hey, sorry. I'm driving. I'm not involved in those conversations with respect to the human rights stuff. So I don't have it in the report.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, human rights. I thought not because I saw the discussion that was going on between Olivier and Joanna. Thank you. Sorry to interrupt your driving just yet, but you do have a section in the work plan, a lot of work that we're going to be talking about later on.

Okay. What's next on the agenda? Oh, now it's you. Perhaps we can start off with—Evin, can you do a bit of introduction here while Jonathan parks his car so that he's not talking and driving at the same time?

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Sure. Thanks, Maureen. We can see on the agenda recently ratified statements by the ALAC, including ones that came in today. There's also one that's currently up for ALAC ratification vote, four total, and if you click on them, you can go to their workspaces. There's also an Executive Summary page. So please do check that out for all those statements.

We've had a new format to the agenda. If you click on the tab for Public Comment, there's actually one ICANN public comment out that hasn't been determined whether or not the ALAC would like to comment on it

---

yet. So that could be decided during the next CPWG, and that is recommendations for ICANN's root name service strategy and implementation.

Current statements are being developed by the ALAC, if you click on them as well. I'm not sure if you can see that. But there are several in the pipeline and there are actually two statements by the OFB Working Group (the Operations, Finance and Budget Working Group) that are currently under ALAC ratification vote and will be submitted to Public Comment soon regarding ICANN's IANA budget.

There's also ALAC Advice to the ICANN Board and an ALAC Minority Statement for SubPro regarding two issues. The first being the ALAC standing in Community Objection and the second being DNS Abuse. Justine Chew and the CPWG are just starting to take a stab at that.

That's the overall summary. Thanks so much. Back to you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much. I like the way that the policy work is actually formatted for the agenda. It usually takes up pages and pages but this is just really nice. I noticed that Justine has her hand up. Justine?

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thank you, Maureen. Just to provide some clarity to what Evin reported on for the ALAC Advice to the Board and ALAC Minority Statement for SubPro PDP Final Report. There are just two areas that have been identified where we want to make comments or we want to make a stab at putting advice and minority statement but it's only two

---

identified so far. I'm pretty sure we're going to have more areas that we want to comment on. So just to take note that it's not just those two areas that we'd be looking at. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thank you for that, Justine. Once again, thank you for all the work that you're doing in the area [inaudible] each of these. Jonathan, do you want to add anything to this report?

JONATHAN ZUCK: I think that pretty much summarizes things. I think Evin's summary was good. The only really hot topic right now is the Subsequent Procedures discussion. I think it was covered well. I don't have anything to add.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. That's fine. Thank you very much. Just as a side issue, I noticed that Ricardo is not at this meeting but at the same time there will be, upcoming in December due to Ricardo's new work engagement, he is actually stepping down from the Chair of the Operations, Finance and Budget Working Group. The interim Chair until we find someone who wants to take over on a regular basis is going to be Holly Raiche. So that she will be the lead for the OFB Working Group as we move into the Additional Budget Requests, that exciting time.

The Operations Working Group is starting to grow. And as you have seen, there are statements that the working group has been involved in and so that there's a really good output from both of those policy working groups, one working on ICANN policy and one working on the

---

actual operations side of things. So I'm really pleased to see the outputs that are coming from both of those groups.

Okay. Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: We have Sébastien with his hand raised, and also Pari has joined the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: All right, great. Okay. We'll have Sébastien if it's on the policy area. Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: No, Maureen. It was just to tell you that Pari is now with us. I would like very much to say that staff need to check if she received information about the call because it's now two or three calls that I am obliged to give her information and I am not sure that it's the best and more efficient way for her to get the information. Therefore, she needs to be prepared. And I don't know why but it seems that there is question about how she received or not received any information. But now she is with us and you can give her the floor, I am sure.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you so much. If there are any issues, we will certainly sort those out for Pari because we really would like to have her full engagement. We actually have just been introducing our new members. I know that

---

you did a brief introduction during ICANN69 but there are others who still might not know about you. If you could just give us a little two-minute introduction so that the At-Large community can actually learn a bit more about you. Thank you.

PARI ESFANDIARI:

Thank you very much. First of all, I want to say hi and thank you for being so welcoming to all of you. About myself, about my background, I am an entrepreneur. I have been on the technology space since early days and since late 1990s. So a lot of problems that we are discussing, I have experienced firsthand. At the same time, I have worked as an adviser with large organizations such as World Bank as a consultant. I have a very diverse background, both geographically and in terms of discipline. I've worked with diverse industries from fintech to ecommerce to communication and gaming. I'm a co-founder of an organization called Global TechnoPolitics Forum where we look at issues at the intersection of technology and geopolitics. A lot of policy issues that we're discussing here are issues that I have been investigating, discussing, and talking about. The latest work I have done is a paper on data governance and geopolitics. Data governance and geopolitics—that's basically the kind of work I do. I'm happy to answer any questions, if there are any questions.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you so much, Pari. Well, that sounds interesting. I think that that brings lots of different perspectives into our discussions that we have.

---

So I'm really, really glad to have you on our team. I'm sure that the discussions will be very interesting with your input.

Did I see someone say that Cindy was here?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Hi, Maureen. Cindy has joined the French channel.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh right, Cindy. Yes. You're just in time for the part of the introduction for our new ALAC members, Cindy. So if you would like to, a little two-minute intro, we'd really love to hear from you about you. You may take the floor.

SINDY OBED: Can you hear me? This is Cindy.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

SINDY OBED: Very good. Thank you. Hello, everybody. Thank you very much for having me and giving me the floor. I am very happy to be with you. I see that you are doing a lot of work with LACRALO and ICANN, particularly regarding the Internet users.

My name is Obed, Cindy. I am the President of ISOC (Internet Society) in Haiti. This is an association that you know well, I'm sure, this

---

international ISOC organization that does a lot for Internet governance. I am a co-founder of the Digital Grassroots, which is an organization created in Geneva in 2017. I was a Fellow of the Internet Society and we wanted to work with the young people to do more with Internet governance and to enable those young people to be useful for their community, and enable many more young people to use the Internet. That is why, for me, Internet governance is so important. Literacy is so important. Our younger people, they need to know much more about the Internet and use it.

So I'm very happy to be with you today. I have a BA in education. I do work on education technologies and this is what I do. Also my master's in public communication. I did organize several forums about Internet governance. So I believe with this awareness in Haiti on Internet governance, we'll be able to train our young users. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. There's some interesting comments being made in the chat as well. We should read some of those. Thank you. We are really fortunate to have such a great strength from our new members and I'm sure it's going there are going to be some interesting developments during the year. Thank you very much.

Okay. So we are now up to our ALS and Individual Member Application update. Who's giving that? Alp? Evin?

---

EVIN ERDOGDU: Thank you, Maureen. I'm not sure if Alperen is with us at this time but he can perhaps comment on the individuals. Just really briefly, there are two ALSes that just joined AFRALO. They were just accredited by the ALAC and those will be processed soon. Those two organizations are the E-Governance and Internet Governance Foundation for Africa and the Tanzania Community Networks Alliance. We had two new individual members from AFRALO join and one from EURALO. If you click on the tab on the agenda that says "Individual Growth," you'll see Alperen's chart of the individuals' growth. Thanks for that. Oh, Alperen, go ahead. Alperen is on the call.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Can we have that graph? Someone click that graph, please. Individual growth.

ALPEREN EKEN: Thank you, Evin. You said everything to be said. The last one is the graph.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Alp. Alp does all this fancy stuff. I think it's really good to be able to see. This is the whole purpose of our membership and the ALS mobilization, looking at our individual members, and getting more participants into At-Large. I think that that's a really good indication that we're doing the job. We're actually getting people in and we're becoming very active. I think that the interesting thing about the



---

working group is that there's a really good depth of people from all around the regions taking part.

It is really important for those people who are selected by their RALOs. Just a little heads up and reminder that if you're selected by your RALO to participate in a particular subcommittee, for example, the Appointments Committee or the Finance and Budget or other committees that you are representing your region, it is actually a good idea to turn up. We just have to make sure that people know when those meetings are on because they are quite important.

Thank you. I do like the graph this way that Alp has presented. It gives us a really good indication as to how we're developing as an organization and with regards to our membership.

Okay. We're now moving on to the item #7 which is looking at reports of our ALT Plus Leaders. I don't expect people to be giving reports, unless there is something that is really on top that people want to raise from their particular area. There's, for example, the liaisons who liaise with the various sections. The ccNSO—and that's Barrack—we've got Yrjö with the GAC, Cheryl with GNSO, and Andrei from SSAC. But anyone who wants to learn more about what is actually happening in those areas, the liaison report will actually give them information about what's happening here and the impacts that they have on our end user community.

And of course, the RALO Chairs are expected to be putting in a RALO report each month. I know that the newsletters that go out are often part of that report and give a really good overview on what's happening

---

in the region, which is great. Working groups, I think that just the [most] working group Chairs, the reports that are made within the working groups themselves will give you an indication of what's happening there as well. Then again, as I said, if there is anything that people have that they want to present to the ALAC, it would be really good if they actually told me beforehand just so that I get an indication and can assign enough time. Sébastien has his hand up. Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. Sébastien Bachollet, Chair of EURALO. I'm sorry, I didn't tell you before but I think I wanted to shortly come back to a few events that EURALO participates orr organize. First of all, you get all the information in the newsletter set up not by the Chair of the RALO but by Natalia, the Secretary of the RALO and she's doing a wonderful job in communicating on what we are doing.

But I wanted to come back very shortly to what we've done during the ICANN meeting just tell you that at the end of the two round table we organized with the multistakeholder round table, we had a poll, and it's quite interesting to see the poll push at the front line multistakeholder governance with ... and privacy access, and for the other one, it was Internet governance in the area of digital sovereignty. And the second one was also about ICANN multistakeholder governance model. Also, EURALO participates to organize readout, one in French-only with ISOC France and with GSE team and it went very well. The second one was just last Friday. It was with ISOC UK in English-only and GSE. My hope is that one day ISOC UK will become an ALS in EURALO but that was a

---

good layout of people and I guess it was useful and interesting. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sébastien. I popped into the read-out session and it was excellent. It's good to have so many different people from our community participating and giving report from that. Great. Okay. That was a report, that's fine. Okay. I'm not pushing people to be giving reports if they've already got a report in their mailbox thing here.

Moving on then on to our next item, of course, a very important one is to have a little session here. I've allocated 10 minutes for you, León. For those who are new, Sindy and Pari, you'll get to learn more about León Sanchez who has been a real strong support for At-Large. He's from At-Large and, of course, he's the ICANN Board Vice Chair. The fact that he actually takes time out to attend our meetings, we are very appreciative of that, not only the ALAC meetings but other meetings as well, too. So we do get a lot from León, very much appreciated. León, the floor is yours. What's on top for the Board, for you? Thank you.

LEÓN SANCHEZ:

Thanks, Maureen. Hello, everyone. Thank you for having me again. It's always a pleasure to be present at the monthly calls. As Maureen said, I also pop up usually at RALO calls and some of the Consolidated Policy Working Group calls. I try to join as many as I am able. Unfortunately, this month was heavy loaded in terms of board activity so I had to miss a couple of those. However, I try again to join as many as possible.

So I would like to welcome Pari, Sindy, Greg, and Sarah to the ALAC as well. I think the ALAC has outstanding people in it. And of course, with these incoming ALAC members, I think that it will only strengthen the ALAC's skills and the diversity that you bring to the ALAC. Thank you, Greg.

So we've had, as I've said, a lot of activity in the Board coming after the ICANN annual General Meeting. We continued to review and work on the ATRT3 Final Report. We are still to have one more informational call tomorrow morning—tomorrow morning in the Americas, of course. And hopefully tomorrow we will be able to come to an agreement, a consensus on how to proceed with this Final Report. We have had plenty of informational calls. We have discussed this, not only with the full Board but also within the Board's caucuses and working groups. If you are not familiar with how the Board performs its work, we have, of course, committees, we have working groups and we have Board caucuses. And what we do is that, of course, those topics, for example ATRT3 which touch upon different committees, working groups or caucuses, we get together and we analyze the issues. We direct ICANN Org to put together the different documentation that we need to inform the full Board and then come to a decision on the topic at hand. So that is the case with ATRT3. I think we are on track to make a decision in time for implementation to begin. I'm pretty sure that soon enough you will be able to get news on the decision that the Board will be making on this topic.

We've also had informational calls on the Final Report of the EPDP Phase 2 on DNS Abuse on the meeting strategy. Recently you may have received—because I saw that on the At-Large list or on the ALAC list—

---

the links to the different surveys, and I know that Maureen made an analysis of those results. We are discussing those results also at the Board level, along with ICANN Org, so we can have a better sense on where the community is standing in terms of what do we do next in regard to face-to-face meetings, how feasible is it to resume our face-to-face meetings in the near future or not-so-near future but even so maybe next year. Well, of course, we keep monitoring the situation with security teams with outside counsel for this issue. I think we are as eager as everyone else to go back to normal, to be able to meet in person again.

As the survey results show, one of the most appreciated part of the meetings is, of course, interaction with others and other constituencies. So this helps a lot in our discussions in reaching consensus on different topics and we are well aware of that. And again, we are trying to keep track of the situation and of course be responsible about making decisions that could impact what I believe everyone appreciates the most, which is their health. Again, we have been, I guess, responsible in that end. When we first decided to turn the Cancún meeting back in March into a virtual meeting, we might have been criticized because it seemed like maybe overreacting to the situation. But I think that time proved that it was the right decision to make. Again, we continue to hear from the community, we want to work along with the community to try to find ways in which we can alleviate the burden that this has taken on everyone. I think that through this experience, because nobody was prepared to face a situation like we've done this year, we've learned a lot. With your help and with your guidance, I think we will be able to be in a better place soon enough.

---

Another thing that we have discussed, as I was saying is, of course, DNS abuse. We've had discussions on this topic and we've also been in touch with the Compliance team. We are trying to get a better grasp on how Compliance works and how it enforces the contracts at different levels. For that, we are going to have an informational call with the Compliance team by early January. I believe it's already scheduled for early or mid-January. And of course, the objective is to better understand how Compliance does its work, what kind of tools they have at hand, if they need better tools, if they need more tools, and how we can contribute to help ICANN Org to achieve a more secure and stable Internet, and of course try to safeguard Internet users' interests and security by trying to avoid, as much as possible, DNS abuse.

We're also following the conversation along the evolution of the multistakeholder model. We were present, of course, and following the IGF in Katowice. Many of the Board members were panelists in different sessions to the IGF.

That's, I guess, pretty much it. I also pop up into some of the read-outs. I went to the French read-out of EURALO. I attended as well the read-out for the Latin American and Caribbean region. And I follow different sessions from AFRALO. Unfortunately, I missed APRALO this month but I promised to be there for your next call.

So with that, Maureen, I would like to thank you all again for having me in this call. And of course, I am, as usual, available for any comments or for any questions you may have on the topics that I just mentioned.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, León. Always lovely to have you. I would just like to mention too that, and amongst us, this large group of people that we have here, you'll see Ron Da Silva and also a member of the Board. He actually does finance stuff. He is particularly important to us. You'll probably see him. He pops up in the At-Large community chat often too, makes the occasional comment. Welcome, Ron, and we're looking forward to another busy year with you and León.

Okay. So moving on, this is an important part of our ALAC meeting. What I wanted to do is to look at what we're actually planning as far as work plan, the actual work that we're going to be involved in during the year. And one of the things that for me that I'm sort of like wanting to do this year is basically consolidating a lot of the stuff that we've already been working on over the last year, just finishing things off. It is amazing what we've been working on to date. There's quite a lot of stuff that's actually getting started.

We're going to start off, first of all, with Jonathan. Just very briefly, what I would like is just a short introduction to how we're going to get started on our work activities, what's on top for us in each of those areas for the upcoming weeks, end of November, beginning of December. Remembering that people are having a bit of time off in the end of December for a bit of a break, hopefully. What's on top for the next few weeks in each of those areas? So we'll start off with you, Jonathan. Because he's got a few bits and pieces in here that looks quite busy and he's going to help us too. So just to give you a bit of heads up here.

---

JONATHAN ZUCK:

As Maureen has mentioned and most of you know, I'm the co-Chair of the Consolidated Policy Working Group. I focus on DNS policy for the At-Large, primarily. I guess I'm also technically the Vice Chair of the ALAC for Policy, as appointed by Maureen.

We have a number of kind of long-term things that we're working on. I would say that in the very near term, our primary focus is on continuing our work on the Subsequent Procedures Working Group report and generating advice on a few of the areas that didn't resolve in a satisfactory way from the perspective of individual users. Also, continuing our collaboration with the Government Advisory Committee on points of overlap in our positions within the Expedited Policy Development Process on ICANN's implementation of GDPR. So there are still some areas of further discussion that needs to take place there that still have to deal with things like legal and natural persons distinction, as well as some other areas that we'll be focused on. I think in the near term, those are the big issues that we're working on.

These other things are more strategic initiatives for the first year. We are finishing up an introduction to a class which is an introduction to ICANN Policy Development, specifically for At-Large participants and how we do policy development. So that course is on its last phase and to get developed shortly. Then some of these other things, workgroup participation framework and consensus tools, are longer term strategies for the year. But subsequent procedures and developing advice on that and shoring up our relationship with the GAC for the EPDP, I would say are the number one and two issues for the coming weeks. That's it, Maureen.



MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. I'm just talking to myself here. Thank you very much, Jonathan, for that introduction. In the absence of Ricardo and because Pari is brand new, I just want to introduce what's happening with regards to the Operations, Finance and the Budget Working Group.

Now, one of the priority things that's going to be happening, especially with the work that's been done with ATRT3, the MSM, Work Stream 2, what's going to happen is that we're going to be putting out a call for a small group that's actually going to look at prioritizing from amongst the hundreds of recommendations that have been made within those areas to look at what it is that we will focus on in relation to At-Large. That small group will include people who have already been on those working parties, who can actually come with the knowledge of what needs to be prioritized for us. So that's one of the things.

The second thing is the Additional Budget Requests that are going to be discussed within the RALOs. There's going to be some training for the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. The Finance and Budget Subcommittee is a subgroup of this working group. They are members—there's an ALAC and a RALO member that's been selected from each of the five regions. And those representatives will have some training and understanding exactly what the current messages are with regards to Additional Budget Requests from ICANN's Finance Committee. So that when they go back to the regions and the regions are discussing ABRs that actually by the time that the requests come to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee as a group, in fact, those requests will be discussed by the total Operations Working Group to get some other

---

---

input into those requests. The FBSC group will be able to be the contact people. The people who will be the financial experts for At-Large in each of those areas to advise them on what would be acceptable and what might not be acceptable so that when it comes to us, we're not having to turn people away.

I think that those are the prioritization of a small group and starting to look at what we will actually deal with with regards to the working group, and then the Additional Budget Request. I think it's January or something that the budget requests have to be in by. That's sort of quite a lot of work to get done in that group.

That's it with respect to OFBWG. Now we get on to capacity building, and I understand Joanna –

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I have a question, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry, Sébastien. Yes, sorry. I just noticed your hand.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: That's okay, Maureen. No worries. I just wanted to ask one question. That's great, what you are doing here. Can we invite in the training of FBSC one additional person from EURALO? Because we are delegating to one of the Board members this task specifically. I think it will be useful if he can be participating to the training, not to the decision making, but to the training. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Not a problem. We'll just let the staff know so that when we do that. Thank you very much.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Let's go back to—I hope the staff has got—Joanna's got a presentation. She couldn't be here in person but she's done a presentation [inaudible] for explanation about what she's planning for capacity building, as Joanna would.

JOANNA KULESZA: Hello, everyone. Thank you for letting me participate and beyond time zone, so to speak. Thank you for allowing me to briefly present the work that has been done and hopefully will be done in the coming term with regard to capacity building. For me to better do that, I have a few slides that are supposed to show you what we've done, and hopefully show you our plans that we will be able to complete in the coming year or two.

So these would be the slides that I have. They focus on the outline for At-Large that Maureen has implemented in the last term. The way that we've divided the work was between three streams. Daniel manages the Outreach and Engagement Working Group, which is tasked with

fueling new members into the At-Large and ensuring good At-Large presence at all Internet governance-related events.

This is where the Capacity Building Working Group comes in. I've had the opportunity to co-chair that working group together with Alfredo Calderon. I'm going to focus on the work that hasn't been done and is yet to be done for our group in this presentation, but the overall narrative for the Capacity Building Working Group is to make sure that we manage to inform newcomers or those who are looking to get more involved within the ICANN community. We provide training, resources, and we try to make sure that our efforts are well aligned with capacity building efforts elsewhere. So that will be the gist of this very brief presentation. We hope that those well-informed At-Large members will be funneled into policy processes within ICANN and the ALAC offers advice, and that's the gist of the work. As Jonathan skillfully explained, for us to be able to provide informed advice, we need to make sure we can intervene early enough and that represents the At-Large policy involvement structure as we have it.

I'm going to focus briefly on capacity building and the work that has been done thus far. We have clearly a website that is devoted to the Capacity Building Working Group. Thanks to our wonderful staff, it is regularly updated and you will find all the capacity building resources there. Just click "Workspace" and that will take you to this wiki page.

The most important part of the current Capacity Building Working Group website is the [inaudible] teams. So we've identified three urgent issues that needed to be addressed at the beginning of the previous term. We focused on developing an ICANN Learn course [that to us as

---

well] has been a lesson in understanding better how we work, how we operate within the At-Large. And thanks to Maureen's leadership and Jonathan's wonderful input in terms of trying to describe the process in which the At-Large develops its advice, that course is in the final stages of development, should be ready in the coming weeks or months.

That will be an elaboration of what has already been implemented in the policy fundamentals course you will already find on the ICANN Learn. So that was one of the focus points. It's been challenging, but thanks to Maureen and Jonathan, we're moving forward with that one.

The most active representation of Capacity Building Working Group's work has been the series of webinars wonderfully led by Hadia. She's been wonderful holding regular weekly or biweekly meetings of the webinars subgroup, if you will. If you're interested in supporting that work, those regular meetings will give you an opportunity to propose new topics that you might feel are relevant and that we should focus on in the coming weeks or months. And you will find the archive of all of those webinars that we've already hosted on that website as well.

Something that is in the works and we're hoping to advance is to have an At-Large repository of resources that help educate on DNS and Internet governance in general. And that is the work that was initiated a while ago by Dev. There's an onboarding slide deck that was to be updated. We've learned it's difficult because first, we want to understand what are the policy priorities within At-Large for us to be able to better explain them to the outside world.

---

So this work has been linked with what Jonathan and myself have described as a policy platform. We wanted to have one central database of topics and documents that have been organized for the At-Large as we have progressed. This proved challenging for two reasons. First, it's a moving target so those topics tend to change. We've done a research, we've managed to identify those topics in the past two years, but the other challenge was more of an organizational nature. The ICANN Org is restructuring its website. That might come to the At-Large in the near future, but not very quickly. So we're trying to figure out how best rationalize the efforts we're doing there.

This is work that still needs input. I'm certain that Dev would appreciate support. So if you want to get involved in informing the community about the work that we do through a series of resources, if you're teaching Internet governance, if you're teaching about ICANN, that is the group that you might consider joining.

So these would be the goals we've been working on in the past two years. We're looking into new possibilities. One of those would be enhancing our economic engagement. We've tried to pair together with GigaNet. We've had partial success. We wanted to organize something around the IGF this year, but that proved extremely challenging as there was no opportunity for direct face-to-face interaction as we had originally imagined it. Hopefully, that will be attended to next year.

[inaudible] not been able to grasp firmly enough for me to report on was regional capacity building. We're hoping this will be linked with academic engagement, so once we get the academic institutions that [speak] on DNS and Internet governance, we will be able to better

---

---

understand the local needs and address them properly. We want to make sure that we don't repeat efforts that are done elsewhere, so we're looking for opportunities that link capacity building exercises, like the webinars, invite others who are doing a similar thing.

So that would be my brief recap of the work we've done with regards to capacity building in the past two years and where we could use your input if that's something you feel interested in or passionate about, then we can use your input within the Capacity Building Working Group. Thank you very much.

MARUEEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much for Joanna for preparing that excellent presentation on exactly what it is that for me is a very important part of the work that's going to happen this year, very much to do with Jonathan's area where it's not just policy. The policy development that happens within the CPWG is vitally important, but there are offshoots, and those offshoots lend themselves into capacity building, which again leads to outreach and engagement. And in the absence of Daniel, just to emphasize that all these capacity building and policy items do focus on our focus of the outreach and engagement strategy implementation plan.

As you see, there's the DNS abuse education campaign that was actually one of the action items and that's something that Daniel is also working on with Jonathan and that was highlighted in the ICANN 69, that's the initiation of educational campaigns.

---

So each of the regions of course has its own outreach and engagement outreach plans, and so it's making sure that those outreach plans are sort of actively implemented through the outreach and engagement meetings. GSE, of course as Joanna mentioned, they're going to be integral to the capacity building items that she is actually going to be dealing with, and they also have input into actual outreach and engagement work as well.

And another important group that the outreach and engagement group works with is of course the Social Media Working Group. They have worked fantastically under Shreedeep as we moved into the ICANN meeting in Malaysia, and then with Natalia as we moved to the ICANN 69, and the work that's been done with the IGF as well. So moving into the meeting that is planned for LACRALO in Cancun, Lilian will take charge and I'm sure that the work of the team will be [just as fantastic.] So they're the group that's going to be doing the main promotions of the work that's happening within the other [inaudible] of At-Large.

So then we've got the operations and communications side, which is sort of my area, and it's all the odds and sods, bits and pieces that for example, we just had an At-Large leadership development session, the ALT Plus has been taken over at our leadership development session and I hope that people benefitted from that.

The communication strategy is ... we're just finalizing that, but it's still got to be endorsed by the ALAC. There are a few more bits and pieces to do on the review, and as has been mentioned by both Jonathan and Joanna, maintaining those contacts with the GAC and the NCSG with regards to that liaison so that we're working and harmonizing a lot of



---

the stuff that we're actually doing within our areas. And I've already mentioned the importance of those subcommittees and that if you're selected, that you're part and parcel of that group.

Okay, so that's the workplans. I know there may be some questions, but if we can just [leave] some questions, if you have some questions, we might leave those to the end because I don't want to take up too much more time since we have our guest speaker. But I do want to take two minutes to discuss the new schedule for what we're planning to do with regards to the final report.

I think there was so much discussion, I was really thrilled to see that there was discussion that actually engaged a lot more people, and so we've expanded that a little bit more feedback, comment time until the Wednesday midnight just so that any last-minute details—no real major changes I hope. And we're just looking at the contents of the report.

So, any last-minute comments? And I know AFRALO's got a paper that's being prepared and that's going to the work party. But the work party will actually, following from Thursday, the closure of the contracted parties, the mobilization work party will incorporate any changes that need to go into the report, they'll send it to me, then I will send it to the ALAC members, and we'll appreciate a vote.

Now, just remembering that we're only looking at the report. We have to exclude any—whatever we've got [inaudible] with regards to bylaw changes, we can't deal with those because they're not our domain. But there are recommendations that have been made by us and they have to be considered by Legal. So if we can accept and endorse the report

---

itself, the report contains arguments, the discussion that takes place and actually justifies any recommendations for bylaw changes that we're recommending. So when the vote is made, it is actually just endorsing the report itself and we're excluding the sections on bylaw changes.

So that's just to let you know what's going to happen. It's going to be over the next few days, [inaudible] next week, and so just remember, if you've got any, if you've read through the current report, there's something that you want to make a comment on, feel free to send those to the staff. Send anything to the staff, they'll make sure that Alan gets hold of it and can pass it on to the work party when it calls it together to discuss any changes.

All right, that's it for that schedule that's in the ... What I want to do now is get to our guest speaker, Brian Gutterman who has been waiting very patiently to introduce the registrant program. So Brian, the floor is yours.

BRIAN GUTTERMAN:

Thank you so much, Maureen. I'll try to be brief. I just threw some links, some resources into the chat so you can check that out after the presentation. But I'm here to speak a little bit about the registrant program. I know many of you may have heard from me before. We also had an ICANN 69 prep week webinar. So I will try not to repeat myself too much, but we've actually published two resource materials in the last few weeks, so we were happy to be invited today to this ALAC meeting. Next slide, please.

I know I heard from some newcomers, so I will go quickly through this. Throughout all of ICANN's work of course, we endeavor to serve the global public interest, including registrants and end users of the internet, of course, by ensuring a secure and stable domain name system all while promoting trust, choice and competition in the industry.

We've always recognized registrants as being essential to a robust DNS marketplace, but we of course always acknowledge that more can be done to improve their experience when interacting with the organization. Next slide, please. So I work on the registrant program. It's one of my main areas of work for the organization. Our primary goals is what you see here on the slide. First one is education. Educate registrants, domain name holders about their rights and responsibilities, the domain name ecosystem and how to navigate it, and the ICANN policies that impact them.

So we've got all sorts of resources available for registrants on [ICANN.org/registrants](https://icann.org/registrants). We also of course have our global support center which handles a lot of calls and questions from registrants, as does our Compliance team, and we'll get to that in a little more detail next. But we do all sorts of things. Infographics, we have FAQs online on different topics that registrants care about. We have a blog series and video reports. We have periodic updates at ICANN meetings, [inaudible] like the GDD summit, GDS summit which didn't happen this year, obviously, but we expect will happen moving forward.

And the second primary goal is to identify and raise awareness about issues and challenges that registrants face. One of the things we do to

---

---

try and do that is publish biannual reports with information from the organization about the most common issues and challenges that registrants come to the organization with. Next slide, please.

So, what do we do within the organization? The registrant program collaborates with teams from across the organization. We try and engage with the community. We want to listen to what all the different community groups care about when it comes to domain name holders, and we want to just improve the experience for registrants when they interact with the organization. Next slide, please.

Quickly, I'll get into some of the recently published educational materials. Next slide, please. So this is something I wanted to mention here. I think it's important. Many of you know about ICANN Learn, and you have courses for ALAC members specifically on there. If you haven't taken it, please check out registrant basics, essentials for domain name holders. First check out everything there is on the ICANN Learn platform. There's a lot of great things there. But we launched a course in March aimed at educating registrants about their rights and responsibilities, the important role they have in the domain name ecosystem, domain name management best practices and some of the key policies that impact registrants directly. And we're actually in the process, with our ICANN Learn team, of updating the course. So we've gotten some feedback from users who's taken it and we're going to try and incorporate that and make it even better. So we'd love to hear your feedback on this. There's a lot of ways you can interact with the organization, of course, but if you had specific comments or ideas for the course, how we can improve it, we will be going through a process that all the courses get updated periodically, so we'll be doing that in

---

the coming months. So that's something or you guys to think about. Next slide, please.

This volume four of this issues and challenges impacting registrants reporting series was just published last week, so this is great timing to be able to join you today. We want this data that we publish periodically to sort of be a vehicle to drive discussions amongst the community to think about the ways that ICANN policies are impacting registrants. So transferring, renewing, registering domain names. And we're going to continue to do this on an ongoing basis to see if this data is useful. I encourage everybody to go to the registrant page. you can see all the reports are there so you can kind of go back in time. We've been doing this for about three years now, so we have data over time that can be looked at. Thanks, Heidi, for putting that in the chat. Next slide, please.

Quickly into some details. Next slide, please. Volume four, so first off, who are we talking about here, who's our audience? We get this data from domain name holders who usually don't really know anything about ICANN. They are usually just worried about, "Why is my domain name not working? Why is my website down?" They're usually individual users, maybe a small business owner. They don't have the technical background. This is the audience that we typically deal with, our global support center, and this is the audience that the registrant program's content tries to speak to. Next slide, please.

So a bit about what's in the report. Again, this data is from March to August of this year, a six-month dataset. Here you can see some of the top drivers, what are their questions about when they contact GSC? Basic domain name management, so renewing, transferring, issues with

---

that, registration data, so why is their registration data different than what they thought it was when they look it up, or they oftentimes don't know what's in there. Rights protection issues, etc. Next slide, please.

And what we've seen is that what we kind of hear from Compliance, the sort of complaints that Compliance gets from registrants are also about some of the same issues. So maybe their WHOIS information is inaccurate for some reason, or so they think, domain name renewals, issues with customer service with their registrars. So I encourage you to check out the data there in detail. You can kind of go back to previous volumes of the report series. It's similar data in each report, so maybe you can find some trends there and use this data to think about the policies moving forward and how the policies can best serve domain name holders. Next slide, please.

I will stop there. I hope—again, thank you for inviting me here. We hope the registrant program can be a strong partner of ALAC. We always like to hear your ideas, and I am always available to chat and come speak with you all to think about how we can collaborate better. So that's all I've got, and I can take any questions or we can deal with them offline in another way, whatever's best. Thank you.

MARUEEN HILYARD:

Thank you so much, Brian. And I think that it's really important for us. We're all Internet end users. But at the same time, we're going out to some communities. And I think it's important that we learn a little bit more about the other side and that many of us actually are registrants as well. But it's really handy to have that information that you're

---

offering and that we upskill ourselves and update ourselves on that information in case anybody asks.

But Brian's sort of lead what is going to be hopefully getting, for the ALAC meetings, bringing in someone from the ICANN community to update us on what's on top in the various other ... Mainly technical areas, but not necessarily. And so that we can find out—and again, it's all part of that capacity building for everyone that's going to be part of the ALAC and ALT Plus programs during the [inaudible]. Heidi just reminded me that one of the people we're trying to get for the next meeting is probably John Crain who's known to many of you but he has an interest in areas of security and that that we need to know a little bit more about as well.

So we're into our last minute and I noticed that Alan had his hand up before and I missed it, and he was going to make an intervention. Alan, if you'd like to do so right now, that's fine by me.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much, Maureen. I'll try to be quick since we have 30 seconds left in the meeting. Just to note, Maureen mentioned the bylaws and there's been a lot of discussion on the word "oversee." It's quite clear at this point "oversee" will not be in the final document. Remains to be seen what will be. And I thank everyone for the comments.

We have received another note from ICANN Learn, from the office of the general counsel, on the bylaw changes questioning some other things that weren't mentioned to begin with, and we'll be doing a more

---

in-depth review with the legal counselors. So we're pulling back on the bylaw changes now. None of the bylaw changes are needed to enact the rest of the recommendations and we'll be going back to the ALAC and of course the RALOs with the final bylaw changes when we have a new version. So I just wanted to explain why we're not doing that.

The changes at this point, all the changes I've heard about are largely editorial, and if that's the case, then we should be able to turn the report around pretty quickly within a day. If there are changes which require consultation with the work party, then we'll do that and they'll be on alert to be able to respond pretty quickly. So regardless, we're not expecting the final report to be delayed by much more than a few days at this point before it goes to a vote of the ALAC.

So, thank you very much.

MARUEEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. And fortunately, because I had already included the ABR discussion in my earlier intervention on the operations group, we don't have to cover that. So we're only one minute over. Thank you very much for sticking with us for this time, and thank you for the interesting meeting that we had with everybody, and the great chat. I actually want to check on the chat later on because I'd seen some really interesting comments coming through as well. So that's been fantastic.

So if you have any questions or queries, I think you'll have to put them into an e-mail to everyone, but thank you very much for making this a really good ALAC meeting and we'll see you at the ICANN 70 planning group. We're actually after people to join. As well as the other meetings



---

we're going to be having over the next week or so. Thank you so much.  
Take care, and see you soon.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Thank you all for joining. This meeting is now adjourned. Please enjoy  
the rest of your day.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**