
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 69 Planning Committee call on Monday, the 10th of August, 2020 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, on the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Jonathan Zuck, Yrjö Länsipuro, Raymond Mamattah, Amrita Choudhury, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Sébastien Bachollet, and Karen Mulberry.

We have received apologies from Holly Raiche. And from staff we have Gisella Gruber and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management. Our French interpreters for today are Claire and Camilla.

And before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for transcription purposes and so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels, and to please keep your lines muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise.

Thank you very much, and with this, I turn the call over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you very much, Claudia. Yes, we've got a bit of a technical issue here at the moment with no Internet. I think I've got this teensy weensy little bit of Internet, which I'm hoping I'll be able to get a message through to Vodafone Cook Islands to tell them that their service is crap.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

So, I'm going to be a bit in the dark at the moment, but welcome to everyone else who's here, and obviously all prepared and ready to get us all organized for ICANN 69. I'm probably going to have to shift things a little bit sooner to Gisella than I had assumed. Is there, first of all, a slide deck that I have got a copy of myself, but if we can just go through what we're planning to do in this meeting—and I'm competing with noise outside.

And, first of all, on the agenda page, please, I hope you're looking at that. We're just going to first of all what I wanted to do is just give you some very brief feedback on the last SO/AC Leaders meeting that we had at the end of July, and to introduce you to the draft block schedules that we've got to give you an idea how ICANN 69's going to be running for this meeting. Then we'll be looking at what we proposed to do. So, that's the plan.

So, what we'll be looking at first of all, therefore, is the action items from the last meeting. I'm going to probably pass the meeting over to several people, so Gisella, could you just go through those action items and just give [some idea of what needs to be done]. Thanks.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Maureen. I hope you all hear me well, and I'm actually with you on these technicalities as I didn't have Internet nor electricity last week.

With regards to the action items—and, yes, thank you Claudia for having these on the page—my suggestion for these was like we did for the last Planning Committee is we're actually going to use one page for

the action items because there are never that many, but we need to make sure that we run through them, not every time through all of them, but we need to make sure that when we are planning our meetings, that whatever was mentioned in the previous meeting that we tick them off so it's easier to scroll on one page than to jump between meetings. And we are having now weekly meetings until the schedule is finalized.

So, the outstanding action items is for Maureen to ask whether the interpretation tool can access the Zoom Room and interpretation using only one device, that's the mobile. Maureen, do you have an update on that? If you don't, I'm happy to address that with ICANN.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I think that it was raised at the last meeting and Ash really just spoke about using a mobile additionally.

GISELLA GRUBER: Correct.

MAUREEN HILYARD: But Jonathan had an idea, and I hope that he might be able to update us on that later on, if there is a way in which we can combine everything to one, not having to use lots of different bits of equipment, as I'm trying to do here. But, we'll probably look at that later. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. Then the second action item is Zoom Rooms to use breakout rooms for brain storming, etc. I know that one of the questions I believe that was outstanding, and apologies if I did miss the answer to that, but I have followed up with language services whether we can have interpretation in the various breakout rooms. My thinking is no, so once we have a response to that, it would then be to look at which meetings we'd like breakout rooms for so that we can also think ahead of time on how best to facilitate those meetings, and also bearing in mind that we would likely need one staff person per breakout room.

Was there any further update on that, Maureen? Is that okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: None from my end. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Apologies. Jonathan does have his hand raised. We may wish to take that, it may be relevant to the interpretation tool.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep, I'm sure it is. Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER: Jonathan? Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks. Yeah, I mean I think it's always good to ask whether or not the things I'm going to say are potentially relevant. Very good question.

But, yes, this is related to the interpretation, and I don't know when this might come up, but there were discussions on the Technology Task Force call about recommendations for technology that should be made available during ICANN 69. And that resulted in the letter to Maureen that she in turn forwarded to Ash and Göran. And one of those is for the ability to use machine language translation services, either Otter.AI or Streamer for the calls in which we don't have live interpretations.

So, just to reiterate that here, it's perfectly understandable if we're having a session and decide to break up into eight or nine or 10 breakout rooms that there isn't going to be interpreters for all of those, but it's less understandable that we wouldn't then be able to use alternative translation services. So, I just wanted to bring that up that there is an opportunity to have a 75% solution in the absence of the live interpretation breakout sessions. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Jonathan. Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Jonathan. So, yes, that is noted and I think we can just follow up on that to see what Ash's response really is to that because it will have an impact on how we're going to be planning our sessions, etc. But we'll get back to that when we get to session planning.

And then, what the last action item was for Jonathan Zuck to work on preparing a presentation tips webinar. So, back to you Jonathan, and that is probably likely to be in the Prep Week, and then I will go to the raised hands.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Yes, so the webinar is ready. And it's just a question of the best time when we would get the best attendance and things like that. So, I'm ready to deliver it, but some are suggesting that it might be better to do that in September. I don't think it's necessarily wait until Prep Week because the point should be that people have had an opportunity to practice and rehearse their sessions and things like that before Prep Week. But sometime in September, and that's completely up to Joanna and Hadia I guess when the best time is to schedule it, but it is ready whenever we want to go.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Jonathan, thank you. I have noted an AI for staff. We will follow up with you, Joanna, and Hadia, and obviously Maureen, to confirm the best time to schedule this webinar sometime in September. And yes, agree not in Prep Week but way before that.

Maureen, if you're okay, we've been through the action items. We have Siva and Sébastien who have their hands raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Right, thank you. Siva.

SIVASUBRAMANIAN MUTHUSAMY The breakout sessions that Jonathan was talking about, are these breakout sessions that staff planned and scheduled in advance? Or are we expecting some complications to arise during policy planning, which will make ad hoc breakout sessions necessary, which are unpredicted?

So, in that sense, what are our plans for unplanned breakout sessions? Are we going to schedule our sessions in a spaced out manner, which makes it possible for us to have ad hoc breakout sessions as and when the needs arise? Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Probably not, Siva. Everything has to be basically pre-planned well in advance to be able to access anything like breakout rooms if they're going to be available anyway. So, yeah, I mean, that's as far as I know. Gisella, do you have any other updates on that?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. No, I don't have any updates on that. Staff, we already have Claudia who has worked with breakout rooms, we've worked with breakout rooms for HR training. So, we're familiar as in being participants. For the actual running of the breakout rooms, we'll be trained ahead of ICANN 69. And again, I think that as soon as we can find out if and how we can run interpretations in the breakout rooms, this will then likely impact the use of those.

Maybe we can do breakout rooms per language, for instance. I'm just thinking aloud. If we're not able to have interpretation in those rooms,

then we could have language rooms and report back on the call where we would then have interpretation for the for the entire call.

So, I think this is definitely something to look into, and as soon as we have the interpretation issues sorted, or at least a response to that, we can then narrow that down on which sessions we use the breakout rooms for. But my understanding is we can use breakout rooms and I will work with Claudia and she may already have a response as to whether this is something that we can use on any Zoom Room.

Again, we're likely to have meeting rooms in the [EMS] form, so that is what I submit for all our session forms. Apparently this time around, we have the choice between a webinar room and a regular meeting room. So, that is something new as well. And we can then, on this planning committee, decide which sessions we'd like set up on meeting rooms, and which sessions we'd like on webinar rooms. Thank you.

Claudia, I don't know if you have anything to add to that. Thank you.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hi, Gisella. Just want to let you know that, yes, we can use breakout rooms in any Zoom Room. And so, good question about the webinar room. I have not used that. I will look into it and get back to you. Thank you

[GISELLA GRUBER]:

And, Maureen, can we have ...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Claudia, [inaudible]

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Sorry, go on.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, the breakout rooms. We wouldn't be able to just call on breakout rooms when we want them, could we? Unexpected.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Let me see if I have that option right now. One moment. [Actually] [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: Maureen?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: [Okay, it's the] push of a button. It's available for me to do it right now if I wish.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, all righty. That's handy. I didn't know that. Yes, Gisella, sorry.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry. Just coming back to that, if it is during the regular ICANN meeting and it is run as an ICANN session, I think that we will need to know

ahead of time whether we're using breakout sessions or not for the Tech Team, for the interpreters, as well as for recording. So, I think that's why I was saying if we can just fine tune on the breakout rooms and have a better understanding of how we can use them and we can use them during ICANN 69. And then, in that way, I can submit that on the meeting request forms just to make sure that the Tech Team knows exactly what is happening because I doubt that we will just be able to switch from a meeting room into breakouts during an ICANN session, if that makes sense.

If you think if we were in a meeting room ourselves in person, it impacts the recordings and the interpretation, etc. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Exactly. I quite see your point there. And it's just something that we need to be mindful of when we're actually doing our planning. So, that's fine. Okay, so are the action items done?

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. Thank you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great, okay. So, can we go therefore back ...

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Claudia?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, Maureen. Sorry to interrupt. I know you're not in the Zoom Room. We currently have four hands up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: What? Okay. Claudia, you run the queue please. I can't see it.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay, [Sivasubramanian,] please take the floor.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: [He already has.]

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, [inaudible].

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET If I may, I was the next one. I would like to concur with when Gisella think aloud. I think we need to decrease the complexity. And we used to have three languages within At-Large. And if we keep one in English, eventually with interpretation and recording, we can do two breakout

sessions, one in Spanish and one in French, and I think it could be a good way to go without adding more staff involved or problems with interpretation. We have enough people, even in the leadership team, who can handle two languages, maybe three. And it could be one way not to have more things to ask to ICANN staff and to do it by ourselves. We can do breakout sessions in French and in English without recording and without interpretation. It will be easier for everybody. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Sébastien. Claudia?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Next we have Jonathan Zuck.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry, I had to unmute. Yeah, I was trying to actually get back to [inaudible] original call, which is that our intention is not to make these breakout rooms be ad hoc, but instead build them into the meeting agenda to do breakouts or smaller groups, the way that we have in face to face meetings with whiteboards, etc. It's an attempt to get more people participating, particularly in our internal meetings, instead of it just being a bunch of people listening to panelists or something.

So, we don't even know what these sessions are going to look like yet, but we want to make sure that we include breakouts as part of them, and it would be part of their planning. So, I think it's very unlikely that we'd be like, "Hey, let's do a breakout," and do it ad hoc because I think

the schedule is so tight that if we haven't pre-planned these things, then they'll fail.

And so, I think we need to plan out our use of breakout rooms in advance, which also lends itself to Sébastien's suggestion of working out our own translation, etc. All that will be facilitated by doing advanced planning instead of ad hoc breakouts. Hope that helps to clarify.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Great.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Okay, thank you. And next we have Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I also want to talk about that. And also, I just found out I hadn't realized that Zoom has a whiteboard feature, that we could be using a whiteboard, during our main sessions, too. I'm not sure if we could use a whiteboard during the breakout rooms, and the breakout rooms, when you do the Zoom Rooms, you can set which people go in which room ahead of time, or you can have Zoom do it, but then Zoom would do it automatically. So, I would think you would have to set them and we could know how many rooms we use, but we wouldn't necessarily know who would be in each room.

But we could conceivably, if people know who is Spanish speaking, put all that Spanish speaking in one room, put all the French in another room, and then have the interpreters go in those rooms for the

breakouts, and then come back. Breakouts are usually like 15 minutes, like we had before when we broke out into corners of the room. And I think we could do that same thing.

And I'm sorry, I was late. We're not having RTT in these, right?

GISELLA GRUBER: Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes?

GISELLA GRUBER: As it stands now, correct, we don't have RTT in these. This is something that we do not have for the regular ICANN face to face meetings. We are still working on this, but I can't guarantee RTT for ICANN 69 at all. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hi, Maureen, Gisella. Sorry, I can't raise my hand. I was thinking about the question regarding interpretation in the breakout room. I have not tested that yet. I'm not sure if it would be possible just because we have the operator on the English channel, as well as interpretation. And I honestly don't think it would work. I'll see if some staff and myself can

do a test, but I don't think it's possible with interpretation just because there would be two separate rooms and I'm not sure if the operator is [inaudible] I just don't see it being a possibility. Sorry. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Just jumping in here, I think that that's something we will work on moving forward, and so that when we're actually starting to plan our sessions, we'll definitely look into what's possible, if people want to actually have breakout rooms, etc. So, yeah, we'll go with that later on down the track. Thank you. Any more people with hands up?

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hi, Maureen. No, all hands have been dealt with. And also, one more thing, I just got a reply from somebody in our support staff and they confirmed that, no, breakout rooms are not a possibility in webinar rooms.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay, handy to know. Thank you. Right, okay, no more hands. So, let's move on to the next items. We spent like 20-odd minutes on action items and related stuff. It's really good to get that out of the way anyway. But if we can just go back to the slide deck, if you can see it, I can't.

And just wanted to go through, first of all, just to report back on the SO/AC Chairs meeting. Interpretation was a really big issue and fortunately Sébastien was at that meeting and was able to give some feedback on that.

And time zones were also an issue. Even though it's the European time zone, there was the issue that the sessions are during working hours for many people and that's especially with COVID and people having to work during the day that there may be some issues. But, anyway, we'll be having another discussion about that later on this week, and I'll be able to feed back more on that later.

And then, [Inaudible] introduced us to the draft schedule that's available at the moment. And so, if we're looking at slide three—Claudia, are you on slide three?—which is the ICANN 69 Expanded Program Day just to show how the plan is to have the meeting over three weeks. And if you have a look at the calendar, you will see that the first week is a five-day program for the Prep Week. And apparently if anyone's got anything in the Prep Week, that doesn't have to be in Hamburg time.

In the second week, which is when internal sessions will be at this time for internal sessions for the SOs and ACs and everyone else who's planning on doing these sessions. It's over a three-day period.

And then, there's the four-day period on the third week, which is the actual Annual General Meeting week. And that's a bit more coming up on that.

And the next slide, which is showing the original block schedule. Again, showing weeks one, two, and three. And the third week is the plenary week, of course, and this is the overview. So, again, it shows how it's supposed to fit with prep time, then the SO/AC time, and then giving ICANN their time.

I'm just going through these quickly. But in the next slide is the block schedule during the during week two. So, the times are in Hamburg time, UTC plus two, so that there are five available slots, they could be 60 or 90, and I think Heidi's mentioned something that if we want to have a two-hour block, we could probably do something there too.

So, those would be the blocks that we can put things into. And I'm assuming that won't be every session, but over the three daily sessions that we can actually have with choosing from a selection of five blocks.

The next slide is just the larger view of the plenary week. And, I mean, I don't foresee there be too many changes to this, but apart from the plenaries, the public forum, and the public Board meeting, and the executive Q & A, which I thought was quite interesting last time. So, that's going to be during that week.

And then there's the extra sessions where there could be or may be inter-community sessions. So, the sorts of things that we do anyway, but we might be able to slot one or two in there.

And the next slide is just the overview of the timelines that we've got for various things and the things that Gisella will be chasing us up for on when submissions are due, especially for putting them onto the main agenda. So, we really do need to keep to these as much as possible.

Okay. And so, then we go into the very final slide that I've actually got at the moment was to look at it from a practical perspective of what we've done in the past, and how we might organize ourselves. But this is basically how I'm seeing that we're going to be preparing, like what sort of approach we will use, what we will actually run during the ...

There may be some Prep Week activities that we might plan to do. And I was wondering if we might do our introductory webinar, as we did last time, which I thought was a really good introduction to what At-Large could expect from At-Large and from other sections of the of the ICANN Community during the SO/AC week and perhaps during the main meeting week.

So, that was just a starter to get us thinking about what it is that we may want to do. So, that's what the discussion is going to be, sort of like moving on, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to leave that to Gisella to update us or anything in regards to what we had at our last meeting, but also to start us into looking at getting some ideas from this group about what we might do in each of those, and I'm probably leaving it more to ...

First of all, to start us off with Jonathan and Joanna and then we'll get on people joining in, if you don't mind. Thank you. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Maureen. So, what I suggest is I'm going to show you, and I will share during or shortly after this call, I just need to put it in a Google document, what the SO/AC support leads have started working on. So, as we make progress, they will slot their schedules on to what I'm going to share with you now. So, just bear with me as I ... let me just get this up. There we go.

So, what you see here is what we are putting together from the SO/AC support leads perspective, bearing in mind that week one is the SO/AC working week, earlier referred to as week two. Prior to that, we have

the Prep Week. So, we don't have [this] on the Excel document. We have what we call week one, which is the SO/AC working week. And then week two, which is the official ICANN 69 week.

So, if I can just run you through what I've done here, and then I think what would be very useful is last week there was a discussion on the topic for the plenary that needs to be submitted by this coming Thursday, bearing in mind that either staff will do it but there is a brief description required, so I'm sure that Maureen will hand that over to someone to do on behalf of At-Large and ALAC. It's not really meant for everybody just to submit topics. I think that what we're trying to seek here is to get consistency and an agreement from the At-Large perspective on what we'd like to submit. So, that is one of the first deadlines for the plenary sessions, which will be held in week two.

However, in week one, it would be useful also to understand, and you can see that the left-hand column, the UTC times, I'm just working on that at the moment. So, we have what's in yellow on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the slots available. And I doubt that we're going to be using all the slots every day with people having so many restrictions with COVID-19, if there still maybe children at home or people working from home, etc. But I'll leave that to Maureen. I just wanted to point out what was available. And also, for instance, on Tuesday, the GNSO and ICANN Board were holding this session from 12:00 to 13:00 UTC. So, just to confirm that we hold that time free. Sébastien and the EURALO leadership have suggested having the EURALO General Assembly running from 14:00 to 15:30. And then for the later slot, I'll hand it over to Sébastien for him to mention his idea there.

And then on Wednesday, we have available slots I've put in red where we have the subsequent procedures. So, I have not allowed for anything in our timing there. And Thursday is pretty much free unless you see any of the GNSO meetings, which we shouldn't conflict with.

And going on to week two, which is running from Monday through to Thursday, the GAC has suggested an ALAC and GAC meeting on Monday from 9:00 to 10:00. Then on Tuesday, would we like to listen into the joint GAC and GNSO sessions. Then we've got our free sessions.

And, Wednesday, for instance, the GAC and Board are meeting, so that's during the first hour. And then Thursday, again, pretty free.

Now I hope this makes sense. Maureen, I'm not sure what you're able to see if you connected to see this. But would you like to take over or Jonathan or Joanna from here on if we can already narrow down on how many sessions we'd like a day, even during week one and week two, I think then we can start filling in the gaps. I'll hand that back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Gisella. No, I can't see anything. So, I would really like to have Jonathan and Joanna, I know Jonathan's here, to actually initiate ...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Joanna's not here.

GISELLA GRUBER: [inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, that's right. Anyway, so it's up to Jonathan, therefore, to lead perhaps on what his plans are and also to get some idea from others with regards to starting to gather some thoughts on what we might be able to participate in. Thank you, Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. So, I don't have anything prepared for this conversation. I made a couple of recommendations in the last meeting, and I don't know if staff have their notes from the last meeting on what I recommended.

But I see a couple of different things, maybe three different categories of sessions that we might want to have. One, our internal sort of policy discussions where we try to build consensus on something. And I think the area that will be hot at this point is probably the subsequent procedures work. And so, I think that's going to be a big part of what we end up talking about. Thanks, Gisella. Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about.

And then, we made some recommendations for plenaries. And so, keeping these things separated from what we want to do versus what we want ICANN to organize I guess is something I'm not sure when that happens.

But I think what we talked about in terms of plenary suggestions, we had prioritization because that work is coming to a head because of the delivery of the ATRT 3 report and the 520 million recommendations that

are laying out there half implemented or not implemented, etc. So, I mean, I think that that's a really big important part of things that we should be discussing as an entire community. And it may be worthy of an internal discussion, as well, to reach some At-Large consensus on prioritization. So, I guess I could see that being two different sessions. A suggestion for a plenary, as well as a session for us.

The second thing is the subsequent procedures new round type issues. And I think, again, we need to potentially do some consensus building and reach some conclusions about where we stand on things, and then potentially run some sessions on areas that we think that more discussion needs to take place.

EPDP will have been finally sort of put into place. And so, we had talked about having a session about the implications of GDPR and what kind of impact that has had on the ability of law enforcement, cybersecurity researchers, and others that serve the interests of individual end users, and how they've been able to make up the difference with different data sources, etc. Gaining an understanding about, now that we kind of know where we've come to rest on the EPDP and our proposed implementation of the GDPR requirements, and we've now had some time pass, that making some review of where things stand now with the folks that matter to individual end users I think it's worth doing as well.

And then I think Joanna mentioned cybersecurity in a pandemic era, and that's about give and take between privacy violations associated with tracking and things like that that are necessary to really contain viral outbreaks, tracking down your friends, all your contact tracing, and

balancing that with privacy and other regulatory issues that exist around the world.

So, those were some sessions that had been discussed, and I'm happy to brainstorm with others on them further, but those are the ones that were on the table.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you, Jonathan. So, the floor is open then for any ideas that people may have. I'll be able to see hands when they go up. I don't see any hands. But, oh no, I've just dropped. I don't see any hands, no.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [Inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: So, if there are any hands ...

JONATHAN ZUCK: We can still hear you, if that's your question.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, so ...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Cheryl and Sébastien have a hand.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Alrighty. Okay. I'll have Cheryl. Was it Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yep, it's Cheryl.

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's what she goes by.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Maureen. Well, amongst other names, but in public we'll stick to that one. And my sympathies for the Gremlins on your island's Internet and telecommunication connection. Mother Nature is being very classy in a lot of ways around the world at the moment.

I'm not sure that we [need] extras added to this list. I think this listing needs to be refined and reduced. I am concerned that there's going to be the usual tendency of "We've got all these thoughts, let's fill them all." And try and tend to forget that this is going to be three weeks of imposition on our volunteers, not seven days' worth of meetings where everything is focused because most of you are actually on site. It is different when it's virtual, it is more tiring, and we don't need to overdo it. So, I'm really encouraged us to put Occam's razor through this and just leave the absolute best of breed to do as best as possible. That's all I wanted to say. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. And we'll have Sébastien, is Sébastien's hand still up?
Yes.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes. Thank you, Maureen. Yeah, I wanted to say that the question of the number of topics, yes, it's definitely one question, but we need to slate in our discussion what we will do each week.

If we have something to do in the Prep Week, we say few minutes ago that maybe what we wanted to do there may be done even before. Therefore, maybe there is nothing for us to do during the Prep Week. But if there's something, we need to schedule that, and then discuss the two weeks after, the [one point for work] and the one for plenary, which one we want to do. And I guess for the last one, is for the moment just make suggestion as it must be something decided by all SO and AC, but for the internal work, it's up to us to decide which topic we want to handle.

And as to follow what Cheryl say, I think we need to prioritize our proposals. We have seven. The first one is a prioritization, therefore we must start by eating our own food and prioritize what we want to do during this this week of internal work.

One part of the internal work will be, as it's in Europe, some session, at least one, but maybe two, it's what I wanted to discuss with you, the EURALO General Assembly Virtual. Not just because it's virtual, but not funded, it doesn't change anything but this went to non-funding virtual General Assembly and I put the suggestion about the timing, but we may change it after our discussion.

I wanted to suggest that the last slot of the day, on Tuesday, 13th of October, you have it on your screen, the blok number five, which is in [in front you have] ccNSO and ICANN Board. We used to have an ALAC and Board meeting, and my suggestion was to shift that to something for this meeting, and for the future, as ALAC, RALO where the meeting is happening, and Board, meeting. I think it could be a good enhancement and take into account what was done on the At-Large review, and adding more people from the ground and just 15 ALAC people.

If it's not possible for some reason, because you disagree with this proposal or because it's not the right time to do it, we can do it another time. But if this slot is free, my second suggestion is to convene our colleagues from Europe to a European meeting with representatives from different SO/AC from Europe, and to have somebody from RIPE and CENTR to participate.

That's my two suggestions for the block five scheduled for the 13th of October. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Sébastien.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can I ask a question, please?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yes.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Go.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, just a clarifying questions because looking at the block five, I just got a little bit confused. The ccNSO is going to be meeting with the ICANN Board during block five. I thought you were saying it would be good to have a both RALO and ALAC meeting with the Board. Is that what you were suggesting, Sébastien? Because, if so, then that's a clash. That's all.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, definitely, Cheryl, that was my suggestion, but I just discovered now that this slot is already taken because I sent to staff my proposal and I was suggesting the same slots. Therefore, yes, there is a clash. We can decide that we don't make the proposal because there is a clash or make a proposal and go and discuss with ccNSO.

But, my first item for this purpose is not too much to decide yet which slot we want to do it, but if you wish to consider that we evolve what used to be ALAC Board meeting to an ALAC RALO, and RALO, with no S, a RALO from the region, and it would change when the meeting will go to other places, and the Board. That's my first question.

And if we disagree, that's done, if we agree, yes, we will have to find out where to put it in the in the schedule if it's in conflict with the ccNSO proposal for meeting with the Board. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sébastien. Okay, that's something we're going to have to work on, try to find out how it's going to fit into our normal schedule because this whole thing about having GAs as a virtual meeting, it's new. So, it's something we have to work on and have a look at and a little bit more depth.

Okay, I'm back up. Not seeing anything here. So, please, Gisella, can you just take over about what we're actually working on at the moment? Are there any hands up that I'm missing?

GISELLA GRUBER:

All right. Thank you, Maureen. There are currently no hands up.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No hands. Okay. So, what we've got, therefore, is we've got some ideas already for our sessions, but just moving on to the first topic, which was the ICANN 69 plenary topic proposals. Now, I assumed that the deadline was over, I thought it was on the 7th, so it's obviously been extended.

So, if there was a proposal made, a suggestion made, from At-Large as to what would be a knot on top, sort of like plenary topics from At-Large, because they're probably going to ask on Thursday or whatever day it is the meeting's on.

So, any suggestions from [inaudible] that I can take along? Thank you.
And, Gisella, if you can just watch any hands going up, please. Nothing?
Not hearing anything.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Maureen, still no hands up, and, as we've pointed, out, yes, the deadline is the 13th of August for the submission. And I've had a look at the meeting form, and on the meeting form, they request the topic, and then they also request a brief description of the topic proposal.

Again, that's why I was saying if it is for staff to submit, then we would need to make sure that we get all that information prior to submitting the topics and also decide now on which ones we're going to be submitting. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, I think it's a little bit disappointing that the deadline is actually the meeting date that people are going to be bringing submissions, so there's no chance there's no opportunity to, except at the meeting on the sort, to be saying, "Yeah, we like that one," "No, we don't like that one," when we haven't really had a chance to talk about it with the other members of the community who won't be at the meeting.

I mean, I know that our key topics have been raised within the other meetings, and I don't know if anyone feels from within the sessions that we've actually selected for ourselves if there's anything that might be seen to be something to at least raise as a plenary topic that other people might want to discuss. Although, I know our own sessions will

involve people from across the community. So, it's not just the ICANN plenaries but thinking about are we going to put any special plenaries in of our own, into the ICANN week, or do we keep them all for the second week?

So, there's lots of sort of things to be thinking about, and I guess it's prioritizing what sessions we might want to use and which of those weeks.

And, I mean, this is our first meeting. It's not something that we sort of like expected that everyone's going to be coming with ideas immediately. But, don't forget we've got our mailing list so that if you have any ideas that you'd like to propose, please do so on the list. It's really handy to have more ideas, because, as we've said, there's several slots, we don't aim to fill every single one of them because there's just no way that anyone really over the three weeks is going to be able to attend everything that's going to be provided on the schedule for those three weeks.

So, I think that next steps, it's really just if we can help people providing ideas for sessions, put your thinking caps on, RALO sessions, looking at policy issues, and led by RALOs are just as important as the ones that will be run by the ALAC members and other interested members. They're very important.

And so, just get those ideas in and we'll slot them in or most times it will be merging with other ideas so that we can get a schedule as exciting as all the others that we've run. And I know that it'll happen, but we're at that introductory stage at the moment.

So, just before I close therefore, are there any heads up that I can't see?
No? No one jumping up and down?

GISELLA GRUBER: No. Sorry, no hands up. Sorry, Maureen, for interrupting you. Correct.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. And so, Gisella, no final words before, apart from getting that schedule out, I think that's going to be interesting to see what [inaudible] and also it will be updated regularly so that people can see what's happening in other sections as well.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes. Maureen, if I may, please? So, I will send out the link to the Google document and it is a living document as and when the other SOs and ACs put their schedule together, if I see any major changes, I'll make sure to let the list know so that you could go and have a look again.

And yes, we need to, again, the decision on how many sessions we wish to hold per day, as Cheryl said, not every slot needs to be filled and also bearing in mind that we are going to be on continent time. So, that's UTC plus two. So, probably not the best timing this time around for parts of America, and parts of Asia. But I'm sure that we can work around that.

And for the main sessions, for instance, for the regional leaders, we have that session at every ICANN meeting, we will make sure to find a time that is suitable as much as possible across the regions [inaudible].

And then also, if I may, we would like to hold these calls weekly. And I did send a Doodle Poll around with the availability that we have running from a Monday through to a Thursday in order to avoid any clashes with any other sessions. However, 17:00 UTC is 3 AM for Australia, so Holly had to send her apologies. Cheryl's on in the middle of the night.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So, situation normal. Let's just get this show on the road. I mean, it's our situation normally. Don't worry about [Australia.]

GISELLA GRUBER: I know, Cheryl, but I'm just thinking that maybe we could think this through and if everyone's open to that, if Monday is a good time to hold this call, or if it's a choice between Monday and Tuesday, I'm happy to send out another Doodle and if people could maybe take into consideration to provide all their availability across those times, even if it's not the greatest and you may need an extra strong coffee or cup of tea or glass of water in the morning to wake up, and we could do rotating times like we do with the CPWG to share the pain. But I'm happy to hear from everyone on that. It was it was just to try and help everyone across the regions.

And, Jonathan, you've got your hand raised. Please.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I'm sorry, I may have forgotten what I was going to say. But I think what I was going to say, or ask, is if I have homework? And so, do we need to make a distinction now between suggestions for plenary sessions versus

sessions we would have ourselves? Part of the reason that list looks long is that it is meant to be a list to serve both purposes, but if one of our ideas, in fact, is picked up as a plenary, then we don't necessarily need to run it as an At-Large session. So, some of that may come [at a] timeframe, but if there's something that you need me to do, or Joanna, in terms of writing up descriptions of these, etc., I'm happy to do it, but please reach out via email if you would. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Jonathan. From that list, yes, if there is anything that you think is a priority, because priority for us to raise as a plenary, even as just a recommendation, then I think that we should. Otherwise, we just turn up to the meeting and listen in and probably put in a suggestion then as others raise something. But, yeah, I mean, I think it's for this group to decide which ...

For example, I guess the priority for us today because it closes on the 13th is there a topic that we really feel is important enough to raise as one of the ICANN plenary topics? And, if so, then we need present it before the 13th with an explanation about why it's important, and what we might suggest.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

So, as of this moment, we aren't proposing anything. More needs to be done to make those proposals? I guess that's what I'm trying to get clarity on.

MAURREN HILYARD: For the ICANN plenary ...

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, were you going to propose all of those sessions? Was there anything specific?

JONATHAN ZUCK: No, I guess that would have been the discussion for this call. So, I'm sorry to keep people late, but do we need to choose one or two of them and make a description? What is it that needs doing to make it a proposal as a plenary? I don't want to drop the ball, I guess, [which we may have done].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. I mean the normal thing is that if we've got things that we want to raise as an ICANN plenary, we, suggest those, but we write a short proposal as to why it's important to us. And then it goes into the pot and everybody discusses it, as we've done in the past, and they come up with their top three.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I'll try to do both. I'll try to make descriptions for all of them [inaudible] and put it on the list.

MAUREEN HILYARD: And put it on the list.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay, thanks. Sorry to hold everyone up.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Not a problem. Okay, well thank you very much for those who've stayed. I can't even tell if anyone's left, but yeah, it's been a great session. Thank you to Gisella and Claudia for taking over and for filling in all that extra information that we need to get us started.

And please use the list if you've got any recommendations, any suggestions at all. Put them on the on the mailing list. We'll be really grateful to hear from you. And weekly meetings until we get things up and running because we just need to get the discussions, we need to find finalize what it is that we want to do, and then let Tanzanica know and she puts it in the schedule and then we're [running sweet.].

Okay, so thank you very much. Have a great day, guys, and we'll see you at the next meeting. It's probably started already anyway, the ALS meeting. So, thank you. Bye.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you all very much.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]