
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO operating principles review working group call taking place on Thursday, 9th of July 2020 at 16:00 UTC.

On our call today on the English channel we have Isaac Maposa, Vernatius Ezeama, Seun Ojedeji, Sarah Kiden, Emmanuel Mftikumukiza, Oreoluwa Lesi, Hadia Elminiawi, and Jules Nizeyimana. Apologies for my mispronunciations.

We currently don't have anyone on the French channel, and we have not received any apologies for today's call.

From staff's side, we have Silvia Vivanco and myself, Yesim Nazlar, and I'll also be doing call management for today's call. As you know, we have French interpretation, and our interpreters are Isabelle and Camila. Just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking, not only of the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes as well, please, and also, another reminder to please keep your mind muted when not speaking. And after all these reminders, I'll now turn the floor back over to you, Isaac. Thanks so much.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. Thank you all for joining today's call. Now we can go straight into adopting our agenda. I'm sure the agenda is shared on the screen. Unfortunately, I don't have a good Internet connection here, so I can't connect to the Zoom room. I'm sure everyone can see the agenda on the screen, I'm

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

sure it's shared by staff. Is there anything that you think may need to be changed on the agenda?

I also ask staff to help me if there's any hand raised, you can help me manage the queue because I don't have access to the Zoom room.

YESIM NAZLAR: Well noted, Isaac. Currently, I'm not seeing any hands up. And if you would like me to help you reading out the agenda. The second agenda item is the recap of action items.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay, so I give over to staff to [inaudible] on the action items on the agenda. You can go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hello Isaac. I'm happy to read the action items. The first one is Abdeldjalil and Isaac will coordinate the review of the individual membership survey in a Google doc. I think that's completed and it's also linked to the agenda today. Second, Abdeldjalil and Isaac to continue discussions on the topic of voting rights on the working group mailing list. I believe that's also completed and is included in today's agenda. And the third one is a suggestion to schedule the call for July 9, that's today. So that's all. Thank you. Over to you.

YESIM NAZLAR: And if I may, Isaac, as we have completed all of our action items, the next agenda item is presentation of draft AFRALO individual membership survey, and now I'm going to display the questions here on the Zoom room. Just one second, please. Okay, so the questions are now being displayed. Isaac, do you need any help from my side? if you can please direct me. And Isaac, I just wanted to let you know that Abdeldjalil has just joined us. He's now on the phone bridge [inaudible].

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Maybe I can proceed with the agenda item I was on, and then he can take over after I'm done with the item I'm on.

YESIM NAZLAR: Would you like to review the individual membership survey and read out the questions perhaps?

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. I'm sure you received the PDF document, and I also managed to link the document on our agenda.

YESIM NAZLAR: Correct.

ISAAC MAPOSA: I did send the cleaned copy of the membership survey, and I've managed to include the comments that we received on the Google doc, so I had to work on a different Google doc to clean the document, so

delete the comments. So that if there still any more comments or if someone feels there's something that was left out, we can incorporate it today when we finalize this survey. I did send also the PDF on the mailing list.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Isaac, the document is displayed on the screen at the moment so everybody can see it, and there are two hands up, Sarah Kiden, then Seun. So if you allow me, I can give the floor to Sarah.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Sure. Sarah, you can go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi everyone. I have two comments. One I had made in the document but one I'm going to make right now. My first comment is on question number eight. No, not number eight, the one that talks about penholders, have you ever been a penholder? I'm trying to find it. So I had commented that we should perhaps try to explain what that is, because some systems unique to ICANN alone. So yeah, that's question eight, have you ever been a penholder?

ISAAC MAPOSA: [inaudible] question number eight.

SARAH KIDEN: Yes. So we can just try to briefly explain what a penholder is, in brackets, just the same way you've done for number ten. Then there's the question number nine which asks, have you ever attended an ICANN meeting in person? I think that's a good question, but it's also nice to find out if they attended an ICANN meeting remotely. Like they've never been to an ICANN meeting in person but they followed the work remotely. So I'm not sure if that would be part A and B or if we'll combine them. I'm not sure how to do that, but I wanted to point that out. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR: Isaac, we have Seun Ojedeji next, if you would like to give the floor to him. Okay, I just realized that Isaac has actually disconnected. Seun, would you like to take the floor, or maybe wait until Isaac joins?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. Is one of the co-chairs on the call? Is Abdeldjalil on the call?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay, so if Abdeldjalil is on the call, then I think the meeting can still continue. On item four on the agenda, where the draft was linked, I think maybe a different document was linked to that agenda item, because what I downloaded is still the one that has eight questions. So,

where is this PDF that's been displayed, where is it linked in the agenda, if I may ask?

YESIM NAZLAR: Seun, it looks like a final document has been sent right before the call. We're just trying to get that linked to the agenda, if you can give us a minute or so. Silvia, are you able to hyperlink that to the agenda?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Hi. I am trying to do so. My Internet is also very slow. I think we are all suffering from slow connections due to so many people working from home. So if you bear with me, I can ...

SEUN OJEDEJI: You can display that other one so that I can zoom and maybe I can see it.

YESIM NAZLAR: Just give me one second, I think I'm going to be able to display it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, this is good. I particularly want to say question eight, nine, I remember we made some comments in regards to that. All right, I think based on the update that has been made, it looks like the co-chairs have taken into consideration some of the comments that have been made and reflected the same in the document.

I'd like to also second the comments of Sarah in terms of providing some more explanation. I think that this survey, I would suggest that the earlier we push it out, the better, so that we can actually get done with this particular phase of this process. If you recall, this is just one aspect of the operating principles, this is just the stage one of it. As we go into stage two, we'll actually be doing a more wholesome review of the operating principles, excluding this section regarding individual membership. So I hope that the co-chairs would, based on their timeline, try to get this out soon enough so that we can get done with this particular aspect of this process.

But from what I'm seeing now briefly, I think it addresses some of the comments that were raised earlier, and I'm comfortable with the current draft of the survey. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Seun. Unfortunately I had been disconnected a bit. Maybe [inaudible] some other items, I disconnected when Sarah was finishing up, but it seems you raised an issue about delivering this survey to the respondents early, if I'm correct.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yeah, exactly. so the point was that we should get through with this phase so that we can actually conclude this individual membership aspect of the operating principles. Thanks.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Yes. I agree with you on that. That's why we're here to finalize this survey today, and [inaudible] we finalize, I would ask the assistance of staff to send out this survey. I think after this call, we'll just make the final copy which will include the comments that have been raised in this call so that we have the final document. So this is the final stage we are at, and we'll ask staff to help us send out this survey to the respondents which are the individual members within AFRALO. Would that be okay? Unfortunately, I'm not in the Zoom room if there's any hands raised or suggestions coming through.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, you have two hands up, Hadia followed by Jules.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Thank you. Hadia, you have the floor.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you so much, Isaac and Abdeldjalil, for this comprehensive survey. I do second Seun's and Sarah's suggestion of defining what is meant by a penholder of a public comment. But I raised my hand to ask if—so basically, this survey is directed to individuals who have applied to be individual members and have been accepted as individual members. I was wondering if we would like also to have a more or less similar survey to those who actually have applied but not been accepted. I'm just wondering if there is merit in that and if this is something you would like to consider. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Haida. I think that's a good viewpoint whereby we'd want to see the views of those who haven't been accepted into individual membership. I'm not sure if staff do keep the database of those who have been rejected.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Isaac, as applications come on, then our colleague, Evin, receives the application and forwards that to you, to the leadership. So there is a record. However, I wonder if there is—as they are not accepted yet and they're not participating in the proceedings, I don't know if they would have any significant input to provide as they are not still incorporated into the RALO. So I wonder if that's useful in view that this review is mandated by your own rules after two years of incorporation of the individuals into the RALO. So perhaps you would want to consider that.

And you have also two hands up, Jules and Sarah Kiden.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Thank you. On that, I would also want to highlight, I don't think we'll get any considerable feedback because the feedback that we need mostly is for those who have been participating within the AFRALO as individual members so that we can actually get feedback on their experience as individual members. I'm not sure how other working group members think about it, but I think the most important update is the one we are getting from those who are already individual members and have gone through the process and been participating as individual members.

Okay, we go to the next hand on the line. Jules, you have the floor.

JULES NIZEYIMANA:

Thank you very much. My comment goes also on question 9. Just as Sarah said, I think if we agree, we can structure the question and we have like four options. And the question you have, have you ever attended the ICANN meeting? Then A would be in person, B, remotely, C, both, or you can have D as in none. So that's my comment about number nine.

Another comment—unfortunately I commented late—was about item number 7.5 if I recall, about allowing individual applications from people from ALSes. My comment was that some ALSes are really dormant, they're not active. So maybe also we shall look on how we can check on ALSes and at least we don't accept individual applications if that someone belongs to ALSes, but if the one is not active and even the ALS is not active. So I'm sorry the comment is too late, but it can be [considered if it's possible.] Thank you very much.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Jules, for the contribution. For the first contribution, thanks for giving us a structure on question 9. Then on the second item, that issue I think will be on another document which is not the survey which was on the issues under review, and it's still in edit mode so you are not late. I think your comments should still be there to be incorporated, responded to in the document.

YESIM NAZLAR: Isaac actually just dropped once again, so our operator is trying to [inaudible]. I know we have two hands up. The first one is Sarah, and then Hadia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yesim, perhaps as we have now Abdeldjalil on the Zoom room, Abdeldjalil, if you wish to chair the call while Isaac is reconnected, if you're able to do so.

ISAAC MAPOSA: I'm reconnected now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay. Isaac, you have two hands up, Sarah and then Hadia again.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you. Hi everyone. I would like to add some more comments on Hadia's and Silvia's idea about contacting everyone. There are many applications that we have received and some people have been told "We are sorry we cannot accept your application" and they've been told that "We are not accepting because you are part of an ALS." For some of them, it's taken a bit of back and forth, so I think the survey should still go to people who have applied and not been accepted. We just need to ask them if the process or the procedure was clear for them, if

the reason for rejection was also clear and if they're happy to continue engaging or if they have other suggestions. I think it's still a good idea for us to also reach those who have not been accepted but they continue to be members of AFRALO. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Sarah. You've given me another view on that, actually, to note if the process of application was clear to them and if they understand the reason why they were rejected so that we can actually work on the application process. So thank you for the contribution. I will also give that to the working group members to deliberate on that if there are any comments on that. We can move on to the next hand, that's Hadia, right? You have the floor.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Isaac. So I just raised my hand to elaborate on my point and mention that what I meant is a survey in relation to the application process, and I think Sarah spoke to that very well. Thank you. And I've also added in the chat that—

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Thank you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Yeah. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: It's okay. It was well elaborated. Is here any other hand raised?

SILVIA VIVANCO: No, Isaac, we don't have any other hands raised.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Thank you. So I do take that as the survey questions are now okay, people are now okay with the draft survey.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Isaac, I believe there r some minor edits that will need to be done, so I would ask you to kindly—with Sarah perhaps—do those minor edits and send the final version to staff so it can be put in the Google format. IT would be a Google survey.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. I'm sure I shared the Google format, and there's also the link on the agenda item on individual membership survey. So I did share the Google document as well. Sarah, you can go ahead and make the minor edits and send to staff so that they can send to the Respondents.

So now we can move on to the next items if there are no other hands raised or any other comment.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Isaac, what is the time frame that you are considering for replies? Taking into account that I see some questions require some thought,

they need to actually write down some ideas. So if I may suggest based on experience perhaps two weeks if that is okay with you all, for people to reply.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Two weeks seems good for me. I don't know, the other working group members and the co-chair, they can respond as well.

SILVIA VIVANCO: We have one hand up from Jules.

JULES NIZEYIMANA: Yes. Thank you very much. Reading from my screen, I see question 14 and 15 are the same, isn't it? Is there any difference? 14 is how would you improve the experience of an individual member of APRALO, then it's an open, it says answer freely. Then number 15, how would you improve the experience of an individual member of AFRALO? I think they are two similar questions.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Jules, for noting that. It was an error on my part. We can move to the next item on the agenda, which is a discussion on voting rights. I can give over to my co-chair to take over.

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Good evening, everyone. I'm not sure I understood the question that was asked of me, so if you could please explain what I'm supposed to do right now.

ISAAC MAPOSA: You can take over on the next agenda item on the voting rights.

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Okay. I understand now. Thank you very much. Thank you also to all of the members. We are now at voting rights. During the last meeting, we talked about that point on the mailing list. What we want to do at this point really is to listen to your points of view. As you know, individual members don't have a voting right. Voting rights are only for ALSes. So at this point, we would like to hear from the members of the group, what do you think? Do we need to expand voting rights? What is your opinion on the situation? So now I would like to open the floor to whomever would like to speak to that. Thank you. First, Hadia, and then Sarah. Go ahead.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I think that individual members should have a kind of say. How do we put in their ideas, suggestions and also—[that definitely goes through] their work, but how to incorporate this also, how to make their voice heard on votes? I think they do need such a right, but how to do that is the issue. So maybe all individual members could have one vote for example, or something of that sort. But what I think—we need to give

them something in relation to participation in votes. What that thing is, we need to discuss. Thank you.

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Thank you very much, Hadia, for your contribution. So your idea is to have all of the members having one vote?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Not necessarily. We can discuss, but my basic idea is let's give them some rights, some voting rights. If I may, the reason for my suggestion is to allow them to feel that they really belong to that group that they are contributing to and working with. So I think this strengthens their attachment to the group and their sense of belonging.

SARAH KIDEN: It's very quiet so I'm just going to—

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, perhaps I think Abdeldjalil's line is not connected. Perhaps, Sarah, you would like to take the floor. I see your hand up.

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. So I would like to agree with Hadia's suggestion that it's good to give the individual members something so that they feel part of it. Right now, of course, they can participate in activities and do all those things, but I think it's a good idea for them to fully feel part of it. And if I may give the example of EURALO, all individual members actually come

together and form one ALS. So it's like that means they also have a right as individual members, which I think is something we can think about. I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but we can think about it.

And the thing I'm against is something Fatimata talked about a few weeks ago where if you give one individual the same vote, so basically, an ALS, some of them represent 1000 people, some 300 people. it's not fair to give an ALS the same vote and an individual, and that's why I think the idea of them coming together to form one ALS is a good idea. But it's something we can discuss. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Hello Sarah and everyone. Perhaps if you would like, I can send you, to the working group, the experience from other RALOs. For example, the European region, EURALO, they have an ALS and all the individuals are grouped under it, and they all together cast one vote. So perhaps you want to consider that model. And there is also the NARALO model. So I can forward that to you and you can review what the other RALOs are doing and have some ideas how to proceed. So if you are okay, I can take that action item and send you the relevant links.

ISAAC MAPOSA:

Sure. You can do so. I think maybe if we can see the other models for other RALOs, that could help us come up with the best model for AFRALO. You can note that on the action items. That would be okay.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, will do. Thank you.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you, Silvia. Are there still some hands raised, any contributions on the issues of voting rights?

SILVIA VIVANCO: There is a hand up from Oreluwa Lesi.

ISAAC MAPOSA: You can take the floor.

ORELUWA LESI: Hi. Yes. Thank you, Isaac. I just wanted to say that I like Hadia's suggestion. I do think that if they're called members, then all members should have a voting right. They should be able to have some kind of input into what goes on within the RALO.

The model that NCSG has is individual members have, I think, one vote. Well, we have different weights on votes and organizational members have different weights of vote. I think something like that would be good. What Silvia mentioned about all individual members, I actually thought that was the model in AFRALO because that's what it seems to indicate on the webpage about individual memberships, that individual members come together and have one vote. But I didn't see it practiced in the last election. But it would be nice to see what other RALOs are doing and come up with something that works for us.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Thank you for your contribution on that. Currently, individuals don't have any voting rights. According to the previous document, individuals don't participate in any kind of decision making currently, and so these suggestions that are being put forward are to be put into implementation, that means those are issues that we will have to advise the AFRALO leadership on, whether that would have to be changed, that depends on the output on this document that we are working on. Before, they didn't have any voting rights. Thank you for your contribution. Is there any other person in the queue, any hands raised or comments in the chat?

YESIM NAZLAR: Isaac, I'm not seeing any other hands raised.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay, so thank you, everyone, for the contributions. We have to move on to the next item on the agenda, next steps. Basically, what we now need to do is, as highlighted in the call, as alluded earlier on, Sarah will [incorporate] the edits that had been suggested on the call, and since our staff, the final survey questions to be sent to the individual members and those that were rejected, their membership. Then we will give it two weeks to get the responses from these individual members. That's one of the items on our action item.

Then the other thing is the document on the issues under review is still open for comments, so we have to finalize it once we gather responses from our survey so that when the survey responses come, we have to collect the responses that we get from the survey and your comments

on the issues under review on that document, the Google document, which is on Google Drive for everyone to go in and edit and put some comments.

So I do encourage those that haven't gone through it or those that still have contributions to make, please do put up your comments and contributions so we'd need to finalize that document so that we have it ready when our responses from the questionnaires or the survey come through. That is one of our next items.

Then we can continue discussing. If you have any other questions or contributions that you may think after the call, please do feel free to send on the mailing list. Make use of the mailing list so working group members can actually respond and see any contributions that you make.

I think that's all. Are there any other things I may have left out? Maybe someone can help me.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes, Isaac. Thank you so much for this summary. The next question is, when is the next teleconference? I'm looking at the calendar and if I may suggest, perhaps as the survey will be sent out possibly next week, then in two weeks' time, this working group can reconvene. May I suggest Thursday, July the 30th, if that is okay with you? Or would you like earlier, on the 23rd of July at the same time? Please let me know.

Okay, I see on the chat that Sarah says the 30th of July, Thursday, is okay. So I am checking if there are any hands. I don't see any comments

or hands, so perhaps if everyone agrees, if there are no objections, we will do this next teleconference Tuesday, July the 30th at the same time. Isaac, is that okay?

ISAAC MAPOSA: Yes, that's okay with me. We have to give room for the survey. Abdel, you can take the floor.

ABDELDJALIL BACHAR BONG: Thank you. Sorry, I got disconnected and I missed much of the discussion. I think, though, that we are ready to finalize this document by the next meeting. I don't know if you agree, or should we have one more call to discuss the document? That's what I would like to know.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Hello. What we've finalized is that Sarah will make the final edits for the survey and it'll be sent to staff to send out to the respondents so that we can get the responses on the survey. So we've actually said this is the final discussion on this document and all edits that have been suggested will be incorporated and the document will be sent out to the respondents.

Then also our next call will be on the 30th of July so that we give room for the survey to be sent out to the respondents and getting the responses back from the individual members who'll be responding to the survey. Thank you.

I'm sure we can move on to our last item, as our time is running out now. Any Other Business? Staff, are there any hands raised in the Zoom room?

SILVIA VIVANCO: We don't see any hands up, Isaac, so I think that's all, and just one minute before the top of the hour.

ISAAC MAPOSA: Okay. Thank you, everyone, for joining this call. Sorry for the issues. We had a number of disconnections and the Internet connections are currently very poor, so I couldn't even join the Zoom room from my end. Thank you for your patience and for your contributions. Thank you to the interpreters and to the staff for managing the call and all your contributions. Thank you all. Please do stay safe. Bye, everyone, for now.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Isaac, and thank you, everyone. Take care. Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thank you all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a great rest of the day. Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]