
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Capacity-Building Working Group webinars team call on Thursday the 11th of June, 2020, at 19:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Hadia Elminiawi, Alfredo Calderon, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Joanna Kulesza, Barrack Otieno, and John More.

We have received apologies Joan Katambi, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, and Maureen Hilyard. Natalia Filina will be joining us a bit late. And from staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, Adam Peake, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for the transcription purposes, and also to please keep your microphones muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise. Thank you very much. With this, I turn the call over to you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Welcome. Thank you [very much]. Let's go ahead and adopt the agenda. No changes are proposed. So, I'll give a minute to look at the agenda. [inaudible] So, seeing no hands up, I guess we can proceed. So, the agenda is adopted and we go to the action items from June 4th. All items are done. So, our next [inaudible] webinar. [Let's go back to the].

[ALFREDO CALDERON:] Hadia, I'm sorry to interrupt you. I'm having audio issues. It's getting choppy. I can hardly understand what you're saying.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yeah. Hadia, I was just about to say this [inaudible] but you do sound a bit choppy.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So, maybe the audio ... Oh, okay. Thank you so much. But maybe a different line? Because the other one wasn't working well.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay. I'll [inaudible]. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay, yes. They're going to try a different network for you, Hadia. It'll take a moment. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thanks. Hello? Thank you, yes.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yeah, we can hear you now. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. So, I'm back again. Is this better?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. Thank you so much. So, all action items are already done. The first was that Webinar Zoom room would be without registration, and I think that's what we did on our last webinar. Our next webinar is the SubPro. It will be on the 3rd of August, and here we are on this call.

Let's go back to the agenda, please. Okay. So now, it's time to review the DNS abuse webinars, everyone. We have Joanna. She was the moderator and the lead for that webinar. So, I'll give her the floor, but I don't know ... Should we start with Joanna, or maybe with the survey results?

Okay. So, according to the agenda, we would be starting first with participation of 72, including presenters. I don't know who has this information. Is it staff? The number of participants and any other information with regard to the webinars? Joanna, would you like to take the floor first?

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you, Hadia. Yes, I'm happy to start us off.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes, go ahead.

JOANNA KULESZA:

I think the webinar went well, as well as expected. We enjoyed good participation, especially considering that it was the second run of relatively the same webinar. We did have a different discussion but they were similar presentations and we discussed the very same topics.

There was a slight COVID angle to that discussion, which I believe was useful and fueled the Q&A session, the Q&A round, that we had. We had Jonathan and we had Drew present the basics of DNS abuse. What I particularly enjoyed was the discussion at the end.

We had participants from various ICANN communities giving their perspective, sharing their views on DNS abuse, what it is and what it is not. There was a discussion around the contracted parties acting as Internet police, which I think was of general interest, and it helps us to build the understanding around DNS abuse and the focal point of discussion we might want to build on.

So in that sense, to me, that was a very useful capacity-building exercise with good attendance. We took up the entire 90 minutes that were granted to us and I think there is a good ground laid for us to proceed with DNS abuse/policy discussions around it, but also further capacity-building on the details and on those varying perspectives.

Technically, I think everything went smoothly. We're learning to use the webinar function. The option we have selected for using webinars without prior registration, I think, helped us to get people joining just directly onto the Zoom room.

And in that sense, I think that was a successful webinar. To me, as a moderator, it was relatively easier, having the experience of the previous

one. I'm going to stop here, and I'm happy to pick up the floor whenever that would be needed, Hadia. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Joanna. I know, yes, we had a very good discussion, especially that one in relation to proactive actions with regard to DNS abuse, especially those in relation, also, to registrants with multiple domain names, which some of them or many of them associated with some DNS abuse actions. And I guess there was a very good discussion in this regard. And as you rightfully say, this could be the base for furthermore discussions in relation to this.

And so, I give the floor to ... First, if anyone else from the attendees would like to share their thoughts about the webinar? What they think went well, and maybe what needs some improvement. Okay. So, I see no hands up. Maybe we can go, now, to staff in order to walk us through the results of the survey. Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER:

Sorry, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Yes, please go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you very much. Claudia, thank you very much for working on this with Alp. We have amazing pie charts, now, and I think we can run

through them briefly. Generally, the takeaway from the webinar was very good.

We will be working, now that we've managed to get this sorted and to make such wonderful pie charts, on the previous webinar results, as well, and then provide you with an overview of all the webinars up to date. This may still take a little while, just to get it all sorted, as we are going straight into ICANN68, or at least momentarily.

If we can go through the first question, which is "I learned something from this webinar," bearing in mind, just as a reminder, this was from the webinar, the re-run of the DNS abuse one. So, again, results were very good, as you can see for the agree and strongly agree, and we just have one person who completely disagrees and five of no opinion.

I don't think I need to run through all of them. If you look top left, you can see ... Sorry. For those who are on Zoom. So actually, we will go through them, because it's always a little disconcerting when you're not on Zoom—and I believe Cheryl is having on and off issues with that—and then you don't actually know what's on the screen.

So, if we could just go to the next table, please, Claudia? Thank you. The next question was, "I would like to participate in other At-Large webinars." And there, again, you can see strongly agree and agree. So, we had a great attendance. Not only that, but hopefully, we will get many of those people, including those who were not from the At-Large, etc., back onto our webinars.

A reminder is that, once the webinar is set up and the invitation is sent out, I share the invitation with the other SO/AC support leads from the

other groups, and they then send those out onto the mailing list, and we also share it with the GSE so they can also push those out onto their mailing list.

So, I think on our next webinar, which will be in August, again, the only element there may just be the summer holidays, but I don't know where we will stand in the world with those. But again, very hopeful about this. It was a very good turnout.

If we could just go onto the next results please, Claudia? "Did the webinar duration allow for sufficient time for questions?" Again, there, full marks. Nothing more to comment on that one. If we could go to table five, please?

Oh, you're seeing ... Sorry, Cheryl. Yes, I see your comment. Thank you. We may as well just still run through them. So, "Was the timing of the webinar good?" Reminder that the timing of the webinar was 13:00 UTC.

There was a little "just right" and "too late," so I'm thinking that the "too late" ... Again, we're trying to rotate the webinars, so there will always be one part that will find the timing a little inconvenient.

If we could go to the next question, please? Yes, Joanna, we like the "no" there. "The presentation was interesting." Again, strongly agree and agree. Nothing more to comment, there. It was a fantastic presentation.

Question number three: "What region are you living in?" I think, again, a very good representation. Although, you'll see that Asia only had 10% of participation when we did actually do a rerun at the request of a person in Asia.

And I think that because of the topic and it being pretty much a hot topic, we had great representation pretty much from all regions. A lovely pie, there. Sorry, I do see a hand raised from Cheryl, so I will hand it over to Cheryl, please.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hi. Just briefly, I would note that, yes, it was a time as requested, to suit Asia, but it only suited a sliver of Asia. It didn't suit the whole collection of APAC time. So, we'd have to recognize that that 12:00-13:00 UTC, that is a very bad time for parts of Asia. We kind of [need to watch that we're just fumbling] in Asia or APAC suitable time.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you for the comment, Cheryl. Yes, we are really trying to, between the two times ... And again, it also depends on the presenters. Because I think, if we're going with a 12:00 or 13:00 UTC, and then the later UTC is running from 19:00 to 21:00, again, depending on the presenters, hopefully, we will be able to cover most of the regions.

And we can see that, although this was a rerun, we had as many participants on the first webinar as we did on the second, and the first webinar, the additional participants, if I may say so, were likely the people who were on the French and Spanish channel.

So, I'm not sure if anyone else would like to comment on that. Otherwise, I'm happy just to run through the rest of the results and hand it back to Hadia. Claudia, if we could—

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Gisella, I see no hands up, so yeah, please go ahead.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Hadia. Just the last question is, "How did you learn about the webinar?" Again, actually, a very good result, here, is the At-Large mailing list, the 54%. I think that that would also include people from other groups who attended because, as I said, it was definitely pushed out on their mailing list. I can't say for sure that they did any social media push out on that.

And then, we also have colleagues, which is a great result, Twitter, a little bit of Facebook. So, I think that all ... And At-Large calendar. I'm also pleased to see that people do look at the At-Large calendar. That's all from us on that, and I would like to thank you for your time, and especially to Claudia and Alp for making these wonderful pie charts happen. Thank you. over to you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you very much, Gisella, and thank you, Claudia, for all your hard work on that. I see a hand from Adam, so Adam, please go ahead. Adam Peake.

ADAM PEAKE: Hi, everybody. I hope you can hear me. Just on the method that people heard about the webinar, it's very difficult [inaudible]. One of the things that I want to try and do is help you get information shared about this, and I can. I send it to all the GSE [inaudible].

But would it be possible to get some kind of information a week before? If you can do that, even if some of the [inaudible] the registration page might not be there, there would at least be an opportunity to get some information out a bit before so that they can resend it to their regional lists, possibly tweet it.

And of course, it gives people who receive that the opportunity to see it in time to keep that time clear on their calendars and not find, a day before, that they're double-booked, or something like that. So, perhaps this is something we can talk about separately, but I just wanted to flag it now that one of the reasons I am joining these calls is because I want to be able to do this. So, please let me know. Thank you very much.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Adam, if I may, [one concern—] and apologies if you already said that because your audio was breaking. So, when did you get the chance to send out the invitations?

ADAM PEAKE:

Hi. No, if it could be ... I'm sorry. I'm on my computer audio, and it may not be very good. I'll try and be clear. If, in the future, I could receive something a week before, even if it's just quite general information without all the specifics, that would be ideal for me to be able to share with the GSE team. Could you hear me?

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Okay. Yes. Yes, I did. Thank you so much for that. I think our target actually is like two weeks before the webinar, or ten days before the

webinar. So, that's something we've been discussing and, definitely, we should be trying hard to do. I see no other hands up.

One other thing, are those results on the Wiki page? Because if they're not, I think we need to have a section on the Wiki page about statistics and where we can actually display the results of the webinars.

And then, maybe, also, that could be associated with each webinar, like one more column would be added with statistics about the webinars. Currently, we have the date, and the presenters, and the presentation itself. Maybe we could have one more column about the survey.

What do you think? Yeah. So, there is a tick from Alfredo. Yeah. So, maybe this could be an action item, if we could add the survey results to the webinar page. Let's go back to the agenda. So, Joanna, I think you'll be walking us through the pre-ICANN68 webinars? Please, go ahead.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you very much, Hadia. There is just one more pre-ICANN68 webinar, which is on Universal Acceptance. And as previously agreed, it is going to be run on the 16th, which is the upcoming Tuesday. It is, I believe, 14:00 UTC, but I'm happy to stand corrected. I know our wonderful team has the details, there.

And it is set up by Satish, who was kind enough to jump in relatively late in our preparations for those webinars. It's going to host Roberto and Lianna, giving us, again, the very basic description of why Universal Acceptance should be of interest to end-users.

There is a lot of UA talk around ICANN68, as previously explained on a number of occasions. This will be the unique chance to look at Universal Acceptance from an end-user perspective. So, we're hoping for good participation and an interesting discussion, especially since this would be of high interest to Asia Pacific.

This re-run of the DNS abuse webinar was also meant as a preparation for the numerous sessions we and the entire community will be hosting during ICANN68. So, those will be the two webinars we have planned for the prep week, or the "prep webinars," as we have listed them throughout a fortnight.

Yeah, I think that's that. I fully welcome Adam's question or suggestion for us being able and willing to share information about the webinars as soon as possible. I'm certain, Adam, that will be taken on board, and we will try to provide you with the links and details as soon as possible, but you know that all too well.

There are many events happening, especially with the EuroDIG going on and, for example, Roberto being preoccupied with that event, as well. It's not always easy for us to provide that early enough, but that is well taken on board and we will try to make sure that that information reaches you in time. I think that's it, Hadia. I'm happy to respond to any specific questions or queries that you might have, but that would be all from me. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you so much, Joanna. We are definitely looking forward to the webinar on the 16th of June. Going back to Adam Peake's remark with

regard to information in relation to the webinars, actually, Alfredo had prepared a guidebook for the preparation for the webinars. One of the items addressed, actually, was that one. And again, our target according to [inaudible] was to be able to send out invitations ten days before the webinars.

So, if there is nothing else to discuss on this topic, let's go to date and topic of the next webinar. So, we have agreed previously that our next webinar would be about SubPro, the Subsequent Procedures, and the new gTLD program.

The reason for that is that they will be almost done with the report. Maybe Cheryl can talk to us about that. And that will be a good timing to have a capacity-building webinar in that regard, so that when the report is out for public comment people can actually contribute.

And as we have agreed before, Justine will be leading this webinar. She would be actually responsible for determining the speakers and inviting them, as well. And we have reached out to Justine just to let her know. We need to contact her, now, to be ...

Yeah. And Joanna is confirming that Justine has confirmed, and we just need to follow up for the details. Hopefully, we can send out the invitation for that webinar two weeks prior to the webinar itself.

And July, we have agreed that we don't have any webinars in July. The reason for that is that our last webinar would be on the 25th of June, and that would be the Universal Acceptance one. That's an At-Large webinar. Also, during ICANN68, there are a lot of sessions, a lot of capacity-building

webinars. So, we thought that we would kick the July webinar and just target the August one.

As for the September webinar, there is a suggestion to actually talk about DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS. And Natalia, last time, I think, made a suggestion to have two speakers, or maybe more, but two groups, one advocating for and one advocating against.

I think this is a good idea and would be quite interesting. So, if you agree, we could have the topic for September as DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS. We need to decide on the lead for that webinar and also if we would like to do with the idea of having two speakers or two groups, one advocating for the matter and one against. So, I stop here and leave the floor for you to comment—for everyone to comment. So, I see no hands up. Alfredo, would you like to tell us your thoughts on that?

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Well, I wasn't going to say anything, but since you called me out, yes, I agree with it. I've actually participated in a few webinars where, instead of having a keynote speaker, we have a group of people that have different points of view, and they have five, ten minutes to present their point of view, and then we have sort of a conversation with questions from the participants, and amongst themselves they discuss and answer the question.

It would be a great experiment and we would probably get people, individuals, that are interested in the topic that are not knowledgeable enough, but they will feel comfortable asking what we in the fellowship call "non-stupid questions" because they are good questions. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Alfredo. Joanna, would you like to take the floor? Yes. So, thank you, Joanna. Joanna's saying, "So, Justine ..." She's asking if Justine confirmed. I'm not sure, but we can always ask. But I'm sure, yes, she is interested. She did say that.

But we haven't communicated, I think, the exact date, so we need to communicate that. So, Jonathan, "Good plan because opens up the conversation. Has been successful at IGF IUSA events." Okay. And Joanna, if you would like to take the floor?

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you, Hadia. Yes, of course. I'm always up for trying something new. So, if that's what we want to do, I'm happy to do that. As already said, I think it comes down very much to who is going to do that and how they plan to do it on a very practical basis. I think it's an interesting idea. I haven't tried it online, yet, but since we seem to have folks experienced with that format, I'm looking forward to it. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, thanks. John, would you like to take the floor, as well? Okay. So, we are going pretty fast today. We don't have much to discuss. So, let's go to item number seven, if there is nothing more on that topic. I think the action item here would be for Monday 7th of September. Maybe we can update this with DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS as a topic and decide on the link for that over the e-mail. And also, that's in September, so we can also discuss this further in our August [inaudible].

[ALFREDO CALDERON:] Hadia, I couldn't understand.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Hadia, I'm going to ... Can you try to speak on the Zoom bridge for a minute? Your audio is not good right now.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. I'm going to [inaudible] everyone. So, I will try to [inaudible].

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Okay. Hadia, can you try speaking in Zoom?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes. So, I'm sorry, but today it seems my connectivity is not good, and my phone line, also, is not good. So, I hope this is better.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: You sound good on Zoom right now. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, very good. Thank you so much. So, I was saying that, for item 6b, with regard to the webinar on the 7th of September, maybe we could update the topic now to be DNS over HTTPS and DNS over TLS, and we can discuss further over e-mail and during our meeting in July.

So, if there is nothing further to discuss with regard to this item, we can move to item number seven. So, and that's the newsletter, that's the AFRALO newsletter, and that's a small piece. Maybe we could have the newsletter?

So, that's the summary of what the Capacity Building Working Group webinars team is about, what they do, what those webinars are about, who they are targeting, and what's the aim out of them. And then, I have summarized what we've done so far.

So, I've put a full summary about each of the webinars that were conducted so far, and that summary came from the description that was sent out with each of these webinars.

That piece was written for the AFRALO newsletter and, I think, also, it was shared with the NARALO for the purpose of putting it, also, on their newsletter. Also, in the end we have a link that says, "To get involved or know more about the Capacity Building Working Group webinars, please visit the Wiki page."

So, Alfredo is confirming, "Yes, NARALO newsletter." I think going forward, if we can, we have a newsletter every three months. So, I think I would be able to put a summary of the webinars every three months. And Joanna is saying, "EURALO, as well, also added." Okay. Yeah.

So, thank you, Joanna, and thank you, Alfredo, for that. Going forward, I think it's good to advertise what this group does and to try to advertise the webinars more to different social media platforms.

And I think we have discussed this partly before. So, giving visibility and advertising the webinars would ... Well, we already have a very good number of participants, but still, we could have even more participants and we could have people from outside the community.

Not necessarily for the purpose of contributing to the work of ICANN or policy development, but maybe only just Internet end-users who would like to know more. Heidi is saying, "I didn't catch to whom the survey of the DNS Abuse webinar should be sent to."

Oh, the survey. No, we said that we would like to put the results of the survey on the Wiki page. So, we don't need to send them to anyone. We just need to add them to the Wiki page.

So, on the Wiki, we have a table that has the date, the name of the webinar, the presentations, the presenters, and maybe we could add a column with the results of the survey. So, that would be the action item, adding the results of the surveys.

And they look very good. You have them as charts, as pies. I think it would be good to have them on the Wiki. Thank you, Heidi. So, we can go back to the agenda if there is nothing else with regard to this item.

So we need, now, to agree on our next meeting. So, normally, our next meeting, because we have weekly meetings, would have been on June 18th. But taking into consideration that ICANN68 is coming up ... Also, we don't have much to discuss because we do not have a webinar in July.

So, the proposal is to stop our weekly meetings today and resume again on Thursday 9th of July. The interpretation by then would have been started because, as I learned from Gisella, it starts on Monday and we will have our meeting on Thursday.

So, if you all agree with that, then this is what we are going to do. I see no hands up. Alfredo is giving us a tick, a green one. So, Alfredo agrees. Joanna?

JOANNA KULESZA: It's a yes from me. Thank you, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you so much, Joanna. Others? Barrack, Cheryl, Alberto, Adam? John? So, seeing no objections, our next meeting will be on Thursday, 9th of July, almost a month from now. Let's hope we have a very successful ICANN68 for At-Large, for ICANN, and for our webinars team.

Let's hope our webinars are useful, well-attended, and ... And I think that's it for today. So, any other business? Joanna, yeah, you have a green tick. Thank you. And Joanna's saying, "Yes." Any other business? So, seeing no hands up. Heidi, please go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yep. Hadia, thank you. So, I just wanted to confirm that you said that the next call would be the 9th of July. Just noting that there are no webinars scheduled for July. Did you wish to continue with weekly calls throughout July? Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I'm not sure that we would like to continue through with our weekly calls throughout July, but I think the 9th of July call is important for two reasons. One, we are going to prepare for our webinar, which is going to be in August.

That's, again, with Justine, and maybe we can send out the invitations really early, like two weeks ahead of the webinar. And also, to settle on the topic of September. So, it's good to meet on the 9th of July. And then, let's decide then if we actually would like to go ahead with a weekly call or not. Maybe we won't need that.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Hadia, if I may?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Go ahead.

ALFREDO CALDERON: I totally agree with your idea. If we meet on the 9th, we could probably have bi-weekly meetings instead of meetings every week because we're starting to have a pace here. So, we're organized, we know what we have to do. And if we follow the draft of the document that I've been working on with the collaboration of Shreedeeep, we should have something up and running that we can all follow, and staff know what has to be done from their side and our side. Thank you.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Alfredo. So yes, let's go ahead with our meeting on Thursday 9th of July, and then, maybe, we have bi-weekly calls after that. As you said, Alfredo, now we know more. We have your guide. We've been doing this for three full webinars, so we are getting better at it. We are starting to know what works best.

We have chosen our Zoom platform, so now we agreed on a Zoom Webinar room without registration. So yes, let's go ahead, have that meeting on July, and then decide how often we would like to meet. Yes.

Definitely, we need to work on having a pool of future topics. So, maybe each one of us can start thinking about topics and who could lead those topics, and we can also discuss that on July 9th. So, that would be on the agenda, definitely.

Okay. Thank you, Joanna. So, Joanna is happy to add them to the Wiki. So, if there is nothing else to discuss today, we could end this call a little bit early. Seeing no hands up, I guess we are done for today.

Thank you so much for attending this meeting, for a very productive call, for your active participation, and stay well and safe. See you on June 16th, the pre-ICANN68 webinar for Universal Acceptance. Thank you, all, and this call is now adjourned.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Thank you all and enjoy the rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]