
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the NARALO Monthly Teleconference Call on Monday, the 11th of May, 2020 at 19:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, Adrian Schmidt, Alfredo Calderon, Evan Liebovitch, Gordon Chillcott, Jonathan Zuck, [Jose] [inaudible], Leah Symekher, Robin Gross, and David MacKey. From staff, we have Silvia Vivanco, [Alfred] [Ekan], and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management. Heidi will be joining us in a few moments.

And before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking and to please keep your microphones muted to prevent any background noise. Thank you very much. With this, I turn the call over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much. Is it possible for me to share the screen so I can move my agenda back and forth, back and forth, back and forth?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes. I just need to make you a co-host to do that. One moment.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I want to become President, not co-host.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: All I can do is co-host. I'm sorry. Hold on. You should... Do you have the ability now, Eduardo? Are you good to go?

EDUARDO DIAZ: You will stop screen sharing. Do you want to continue? Okay, let me do that. Continue. Hello, Evan. I can see your face [inaudible] here. Share. Can you see it?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. So what can we [inaudible] for today's call? We have a 60 minute call and thank you all again for being here. Just to give you an idea of what we're going to cover today, we have set up [30] minutes to talk about the [inaudible] survey results and recommendations from [Build] [inaudible] Group. So please, the idea here is to hear the recommendations, final results, and discuss any ideas, comments, feedback from anyone that is participating in the call. Everything will be well received.

We're going to... Judith, if you're around, I think she's on another call, but if she's around, we can get an update on the NARALO elections. Jonathan, I know you're around.

JONATHAN ZUCK: She's trying to get in.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Huh?

JONATHAN ZUCK: She's trying to get into the call, to this, the [phone] [inaudible]. Sorry.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, okay. Thank you. Jonathan will give us an update from last time on what's happening in the CPWG. Glenn will update us on the NomCom updates or tell us what is happening there, a little bit about the newsletter, and if Alan is around to give us, and if we have time, to give us an update on the EPDP.

But first, I don't know if Leah is in now. Let me see. Is Leah in?

LEAH SYMEKHER: [Inaudible]

EDUARDO DIAZ: You are here. So before we start, Leah asked me if she can get three or four minutes to introduce somebody that will be joining us on our monthly call. So Leah, please, if you can do the introduction.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Sure. Absolutely. Thank you, Eduardo, for giving me this opportunity and the [SSA] Area ISOC Chapter for this introduction. Specifically, I'll be introducing Robin Gross who will be taking over the NARALO Secondary

Representative for the chapter, replacing Susannah Gray. Susannah Gray has moved on with a full-time job with ISOC, so due to that conflict of interest, she has decided to completely step away from the chapter obligations and responsibilities. So Robin Gross will be representing the chapter on the NARALO side but I will let her give a full introduction after this.

What I would also like to quickly share is that Robin Gross and other leaders of the chapter went through an election process that happened in January and so we have quite a few new people that I'll just quickly mention their names so that if you come across it, you're kind of familiarized with it.

So Fatema Kothari, she was the president and she was VP with Susannah which is [inaudible] the President. So she has stepped down to be a board member. And in her place is Supheakmungkol Sarin. He would like to be called Mungkol to just make it easier. He is now the new president of the San Francisco Bay Area ISOC Chapter. He focuses on research and engineering, program manager [inaudible] at Google Research and he's had 15 years in academia consulting and R&D. His focus areas are in global information and telecommunication studies and focus on the studies that [inaudible] university. So he's been very global in terms of his experience, so very exciting leader that we have for the chapter.

His Vice-Chair is going to be Delia Sabau who is the VP and Treasurer. She was Treasurer with Fatema and [inaudible] with Susannah Gray as well. So you could have seen her name before, but she is an ongoing member of the leadership team.

We also have Rick Whitt who is also an ongoing member of the team and brings a focus on policy, [inaudible] Google – I think he just stepped out of Google – and the founder of the GLIA Foundation.

And there's Jeff [inaudible] who is in the networking space for over 20 years, has [co-hosted] a few other seats. He is also a continuing member of the team.

A new member of the team is Jessica Dickinson. She focuses on bridging the worlds of tech and politics. Another new member is Vipul Singh. He is the Secretary and brings ten years of experience in the data space and is currently with Yelp.

So those are some of the new members and ongoing members who will be leading chapter. And of course, most important for us today is Robin Gross, and I'm going to... She's an IP [inaudible] based in San Francisco and I'll let her introduce herself in more detail.

ROBIN GROSS: Thank you very much. Can you hear me okay?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yes.

ROBIN GROSS:

Wonderful. Thank you. Yeah, it's really my pleasure to be joining this group, this NARALO group, in the capacity of the ISOC Bay Area Chapter Secondary Representative. I fortunately have the pleasure of knowing many of you already as I've been a participant at ICANN for 15 or 20 years now, quite some time. So I'm really excited for this chance to be working with you all in this capacity and as you just heard, was recently elected to the Board of the Bay Area ISOC local chapter. And we've got a really impressive team, some folks who are returning and some new people, and I'm just really excited to be with this new group and with all of you.

As you heard, I am an intellectual property rights attorney. I do a lot of cyber space Internet law issues. I'm based in San Francisco, California, in Haight-Ashbury and I've been at this for about 20+ years now, so quite some time. I got my first job out of law school with the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the EFF, here in San Francisco and started their work on intellectual property rights issues. So that's a little bit about my background. And again, I'm just really happy for the opportunity to be working with you all in this capacity. Not many of you I know, so it's nice to see you again. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, Robin. I hope you visit us every month this year. We're discussing things about ICANN, the region, and this year and planning to move this monthly meeting to something more substantial other than talking about process and [inaudible] discussion. We just don't think that's something we can do offline, so we can have more discussions on things that are important within ICANN and things that

are interesting to most of us within the ICANN [brand]. So thank you all for being here today. Thank you, Leah, and all of you that introduced yourselves.

LEAH SYMEKHER: You're welcome, and I've just added the chapter's link to the Board so you can familiarize yourself with the other members. It's an exciting team and thank you all for welcoming Robin and the rest of the team. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Leah. Glenn, you have your hand up. Do you want to say something? Glenn, is that a real hand?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. No, it's a real hand. It's a virtual hand. Hi, everybody. I just wanted a minute to talk about the Caring Communities Campaign that we launched. So at some stage, just give me one minute.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. When you are... Are you ready now? Or you can get, to wait a minute? Okay, so let me know when you're ready.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Because I want to jump into the survey. As most of you know, you received a note from Bill asking to fill out a survey to understand and learn your interests, what expertise that you bring to the region, and today we're going to see the results from that survey and some recommendations that this group has been put together.

But I'm going to let Bill do the presentation and then we can talk about the actual information and results. So Bill, do you need to share the screen or do you send the slides to staff? How do you want to do this?

[BILL JOURIS]: I can share my screen or we can... whatever works for you, I guess.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Let's do something.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There it is.

[BILL JOURIS]: There it is.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

[BILL JOURIS]:

Thank you. Next slide, please. As you all may be aware, NARALO and I think all of the parts of At-Large do occasional surveys. NARALO is supposed to represent the opinions of the broader user community and to do that, we have to do something to find out what they are and also we're supposed to educate at least ourselves and to do that, we have to find out what we all are interested in. Next slide, please.

And that basically reiterates it. We did the survey. We found out what you were interested in. We found out what you want to work on and today, we're just going to give you a brief overview of the survey. There will be a write-up posted on the Wiki later this week. Next slide, please.

The first thing I want to do is thank everybody who participated. We got over 50% responses. As anyone who has been involved in surveys will tell you, if you get a 20% response rate, that's spectacular. So we are somewhere well above spectacular and so I want to thank all of you for that. Next slide, please.

The high level view of the topics of interest is everybody's interested in everything. But there were several topics which had particularly high interest. Obviously, we'll need to drill down on specifics of them but this at least gives the RALO leadership an idea of where they should be focusing. Next slide, please.

We also asked you what topics you were not only interested, but interested enough to work on and I was somewhat surprised to find that you all are interested in working on all of the stuff you're interested in hearing about. So we got, essentially, the same topics which just

reinforces that this is where RALO ought to be focusing. Next slide, please.

And the good news is we actually have a fair number of people who already have some experience there. So I don't know about the rest of you but I will at least be interested in working on a couple of things that I don't know anything about yet. But the good news is we'll start off with people who do know something about this stuff and so that should allow us to work rather effectively. Next slide, please.

So as I say, we're interested in everything. We've got some topics of special interest and now what we're going to need to do is get specifics of subjects within those topics for projects. Next slide, please.

We also had a couple of other things come up. There were several suggestions in the open-ended question that we think about how we can bring more people in to ICANN, especially from the under-served communities and it was suggested that one way to start that is to dig a little deeper into all of our backgrounds and ask what brought us in on the theory that that... On one hand, that can give us some ideas for what works and on the other hand, it may also give us some ideas for these are the things we've been doing and so what do we need to do besides that to get more people in that we haven't been reaching with what we have been doing. So we have some work we can do there.

The other suggestion was that the documentation on how things work could stand some enhancement. There's processes for developing consensus on various topics, but to a lot of us, it isn't particularly clear

what that process is, how it works, and so we could use some better documentation there.

Also, as some of you may be aware, ICANN puts out topics for public comment on a regular basis but the process for how you find those and how you actually submit comments could use some enhancement and that's particularly striking accord with me because I was trying over the weekend to submit a comment and kept bouncing. So I finally had to do a workaround. So there's some work we can do there. Next slide, please.

Where do we go from here? Next slide.

We're hoping that RALO can put together brief background presentations on the various topics that are of interest and a dozen slides at most just to try to get everybody up to speed on the various topics we're interested in. And then we can move on to taking a specific topic and get something into the monthly call about what kind of projects we want and how they're going to work.

As noted, it was suggested we need some research on how we can effectively reach out for new members and finally, we have a number of people who are deeply involved and seem to turn up on every project that comes along. And while it's great that they're involved, we need to also look at some of the people who have newly arrived and figure out how we can – how shall I say? – seduce them into getting involved as well.

Fortunately, as I say, we had a lot of people volunteering in the survey to work on various projects so we realize that wasn't a commitment,

just an expression of interest. But with luck, you will be hearing from RALO in the coming weeks about specific projects that you may be interested in getting involved in. Next slide, please.

As I mentioned at the beginning, we are doing a more detailed write-up on the survey and what we found. We're actually doing two versions. One will go to Eduardo and the RALO leadership. But we will also have a copy that will get posted on the NARALO Wiki page. It differs from the one Eduardo is getting primarily and that we have taken out all of the names on the theory that guarding your privacy might not be objectionable. If you get a chance, I hope we will have the report up in the next few days. If you have any comments, if you have any questions about it, please feel free to e-mail me. And I think that's it, Eduardo. Any questions.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Are there any questions for Bill? Alan, you have your hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you very much. Two-part question. The first part is who is the survey sent to? I presume it was the ALS representatives, but can we have some clarity on that?

[BILL JOURIS]:

It was sent to the NARALO mailing list.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay, so it was a wider group than just the representatives. Okay. Did you make any attempt to find out how many of the ALSes that we have were represented in the answers? So did you ask what ALS they belong to or something like that?

[BILL JOURIS]: Can I have Slide 4 up, please?

ALAN GREENBERG: If I missed it, I apologize.

[BILL JOURIS]: I believe we had a count of, yeah, how many ALS members but I don't know that we... Glenn, did we look at which specific ALSes were represented there?

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. That answers my question. Thank you very much.

[BILL JOURIS]: Sure.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any other questions? I have a question here by [Sylvia] if we need the Wiki page to post the results, and I will say yes. If you can put this in the Wiki, I believe [inaudible] idea, right? [Inaudible] somewhere.

[BILL JOURIS]: Yeah. As I say, we're still doing some final editing on the larger report but I will get it off to the staff hopefully tomorrow, possibly Wednesday.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so Sylvia or Bill, you can contact each other just to make sure that wherever this thing can be published, we publish it there. So we [inaudible].

[BILL JOURIS]: Can do.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Publicly available for whoever is interested in the survey. I do want to let everybody know that this information, I'm planning to use with the rest of you [inaudible] back, the information, going forward, I think I want to use these monthly meetings to be more a discussion type meeting than presenting updates, things that we can do offline, making these monthly meetings more active in these sense of discussion and [inaudible] information that we need to understand, things that are important in ICANN [inaudible] things that we don't know. And right now, we have information that you all provide that will help us direct that discussion and information towards the ideas that obviously are interesting to most of you. So this is not a survey that we just did it because we wanted to do it, but I had this in mind since Glenn did his about three or four years ago and I saw how he used that information to

help direct his meeting at that time when he was Chair to supply that type of information and that type of activities.

So if there are no more, no questions or feedback, I am going to use mine here if I can show. Let me bring my [inaudible]. Give me a second while I set up my [inaudible]. I'm on the wrong page. [Inaudible]. Do this. Okay.

So we're back here, right? So are there any other questions about this? Well, I want to thank Bill which worked with Glenn and Denise. That was the group that worked on this survey and helped inputting the recommendations and analysis. I want to thank all of them. It was a small group that they worked very diligently the past weeks, and I just want to thank them for doing this. Thank you.

So Judith, can you give us an update on the elections, where we are?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure. So we had nominations open for 30 days since April 9th and they closed on May 8th. We were having, looking for people to run as the ALAC member representing NARALO for anyone who wanted to be NARALO Chair and as well as who should be our delegate to the NomCom. Marita was nominated for the ALAC member for RALO. No one else during the nomination period was nominated so we are not going to have elections because we usually... Unless someone mentions anything, a reason why, our policy is that we tend to claim them because they are the only person who submitted within the deadline. The same is true for Eduardo as Chair. On the election page, where it says listed, I will post it in the chat, the election page here gives you

their Statements of Interest as well and terms. So NARALO, for Chair, there was no one who decided to run against Eduardo so unless we hear from RALO members about any other reason why we want to claim him as the member, Glenn was nominated to be an ALAC delegate on the NomCom. The ALAC has to approve that now but we are sending a recommendation that he be nominated for that.

So if anyone within the RALO has any information on why we should not claim these people so we don't have to run the election process, please let us know. We are looking for anybody, the comments and feedback, and just let us know and we'll be happy to spend time working with you. Yeah, [Wes], that's the way we've been doing this in the past years because there's no sense of running an election and having discussions. Normally, we would have... If there's two people elected, we would have [call] candidates and we would get a chance for people to ask candidates any questions. But we don't... We don't have any other people who stepped up to the plate this time so... But if anyone wants to still have a call for candidates, we can and there's a chance to ask some questions [but we can not] to. But if others want it, please let us know and we will happily to do that.

So that's the election report. Now NomCom will be deciding on who they are going to be selecting for the ALAC member and Glenn will talk about that in his report, where the process stands for that. But that's so far the report on the elections and then if there's any questions, just let me know.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No questions for... I don't see any hands up. Yeah, Alan, you have your hand up.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah, Alan.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You're talking. You're muted.

ALAN GREENBERG: Sorry about that. I believe according to our recently approved, relatively recently approved rules of procedure, if there is only one candidate at the time the nominations close, that person is automatically a claim. There is no procedure necessary.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right, but we just like... Alan, that is correct. But still, we would like to get feedback from our members and so we'd like to give them an opportunity to [inaudible] that they had.

ALAN GREENBERG: If I may ask a follow-on question.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Sure.

ALAN GREENBERG: What if that feedback is saying, “No, we don’t like them”?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Well, then...

ALAN GREENBERG: Last time that happened in a RALO, it was not a lot of fun. I’m not sure you really want to do that, but that’s just my opinion.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: That has not happened in NARALO and it has not happened in NARALO because we are very open and transparent with these processes. But we will cross that bridge when we get there, Alan. But the rules do state, as Alan said, that we are doing acclimation. But I still like to ask people’s comments.

ALAN GREENBERG: Noted with appropriate warnings. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alan. And any comments, questions? Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. I could say that Marita and Eduardo are fantastic people from my opinion. But that Glenn, I’m not sure about him. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: John? Next, John.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John.

JOHN MOORE: Having looked at the process, I don't fully understand why there's any further comments once the persons are elected by acclimation. They're in the job. I don't understand where this additional procedure is coming from.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: No. John, it's not an additional procedure. We... The deadline passed. I said acclimation. There [inaudible] by acclimation. We just want to make sure that we answer any questions by any of the people in NARALO. If they had one, we could answer them. We could then, if they have a problem with it, we'll then say, "Well, the report says they're a claim. We just wanted to make you feel more part of the process."

JOHN MOORE: So what you're saying is it should not... Well, I would say that it should not then be a comment on the people elected. It could be a comment on the process, but I think it's very bad to be talking about people that followed where the process has gone through as [delineated]. Everyone had an opportunity to vote and so I would say only on the process, not on the people elected.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: John, thank you so much for that words of wisdom. Yes, it's a comment on the process. That should be correct. So we'll make note of that and say this is a comment on the process. But thank you, John. Glenn, is your hand still up? Okay, thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. Well, thank you, Judith, for the report. And next we have Jonathan to give us an update on the CPWG. And Jonathan, please talk about [inaudible] once you finish this part.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay, sure. Yeah, so [inaudible] one. The CPWG continues its work on a variety of issues. Central to our work right now is a great deal of work on responding to the subsequent procedures final report. Justine is leading a small team that has been putting together scorecards on the issues that were identified as being priority topics for the At-Large. And they have mostly to do with two things. One are things that would affect end users directly, things like string confusion where we want to avoid issues around that. The other is DNS abuse, which as you know, has become a big At-Large topic generally. And it looks as though the Subsequent Procedures group is going to kind of [pump] the DNS abuse topic because it doesn't justify the new gTLD. It's more of a community-wide topic.

The third issue, if I could come up with a way to say it more generally, has to do with getting, widening the circle of applicants for strings. So

this could be applicants that are in lesser developed areas. This could be communities. And from those things, were [markedly] a failure in the last round and so we're fairly focused on trying to figure out how to improve the application process for those kind of non-standard applicants if there is another round.

And then finally is the topic of geographic names. This is something that's almost universally of interest to the folks in the At-Large but it's not something on which we've achieved any consensus so we did circulate a poll and we're actually planning to schedule a single purpose call to let people take the poll of while on the call and see if they have questions or clarifications they need, or to take advantage of interpretation so that the questions can be translated as we go. We got about 50 people to respond to the poll, but we'd love to get more. So stay tuned. There will be some kind of an update on a single purpose call around the geographic names poll so that we can reach some consensus around that topic.

Are there questions about any of those specific policy issues? I'll pause there.

So I would really recommend again, if you haven't already – I say this on every call but I'll keep saying it because they keep evolving – that you check out the Subsequent Procedures scorecards on the Wiki. Hopefully somebody from staff can put that Wiki address in the chat for you. But if not, I will go find it and put it on during the next speaker. And just look at those cards and see how you feel about some of the statements we're making about them. They are consensus statements at this point.

They're just placeholder statements by the members of the small team that just [inaudible]. Okay, no questions.

Okay, so my next topic I just wanted to bring up I said I was going to do as part of Any Other Business but Eduardo said to go ahead and do it here, is that we're doing a bunch of work to try and make the most of the different places that we discuss At-Large topics and of particular interest to me is policy. And what we find on the CPWG calls is that we often run out of time because there is so much to discuss. And so one reason that it might be worthwhile to join the call on Wednesday is that we'll be getting a presentation from a new ICANN employee who's focused on consensus building and improving how meetings are run, etc. in order to better achieve consensus. Her name is Melissa and I'm forgetting her last name. Again, I'll put that in the chat as well. But so she's going to come and give a... Melissa [inaudible]. She's going to come and present on the CPWG call on Wednesday and make some recommendations for how we might run our meetings more efficiently.

And then so some suggestions include how to make better use of chat so that there aren't too many different tracks going on at the same time, making use of other Zoom features such as polling to keep calls more interactive and to take the temperature of the room more frequently. So please join the call for that presentation. It should be very interesting.

And then sort of inspired by all this discussion [inaudible] perhaps making better use of these [inaudible], I did some research on software tools that are designed to facilitate consensus and I found a few that were interesting, including an open-source project called Loomio that I

guess Deb and the Outreach Engagement Team have looked at before, but I haven't realized it. But Loomio is a tool that's a little bit like Slack, but adds a lot of functionality that's specifically designed to drive people to making decisions about things.

And so there's ways to make proposals within those discussion threads. There's ways to do short polls to take the temperature within those discussion threads and everything stays together, unlike e-mail where everything starts being everywhere and we're trying to count the number of plus ones or something like that. This is designed to really keep track of where people stand on things and how their opinions are being moved and all the discussions stay in one place. So we'd really love to have as many people as possible try the Loomio test. I didn't get any permission to start a test, but I just went ahead and did it. I talked the Loomio people into giving us 200 seats for a two month test, so there is a NARALO-specific sub-group in the test that could be used for internal NARALO discussions and I really encourage you to get on to the system and I'll post a link in the chat when I get done talking here. And just check it out and see if it makes sense and we'll worry later about how we get approval for using it. But I just wanted to get people to take a look at it and see if it felt like it might be helpful to get more productivity outside of just the CPWG calls or just outside the NARALO calls, etc. It's a way to make our offline conversations more structured and it might make, allow us to get more of a sense of what's going on in the broader list and allow people to participate that don't always talk too by voting for a proposal or answering poll questions, etc. So those are the things I wanted to bring up. I will post a link to the Loomio test and also to the Subsequent Procedures scorecard thing that I

mentioned as well. Sorry. Claudia found something for me but it's not the right thing. So I will talk about the... I will put those things in the link. Are there any other questions? Sorry. [Inaudible]

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Any questions for Jonathan? How many of you have joined Loomio so far? I did. I've been playing with it. Judith, please.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I have a question, but as Heidi points out that we have to work while we're after the testing even though we do the test and even if we may love the test and may go forward with it, it is not an indication that ICANN will let us take this on. It is just [inaudible] testing and yes, he's trying to open up different opportunities and different other places just so that we can kick tires and see if this is something. We discussed this on the TPF several years ago where we did a small test of it. And so he's happy to open up different other testing booths, but yes, we do need to make sure that after the test, that we also keep Mark Segall and the IT team, who Mark is our representative for the IT team, in the loop to make sure they're aware of this and because staff and others may not be able to even join the test or do anything or even access the material without the blessing of IT. But that's the long and short of it.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

David, you're next.

DAVID MACKEY:

Hi. I don't have any questions, but I did want to formally thank Jonathan for doing the work that he's doing right now at looking at opportunities to evaluate our consensus process. And I think it's the mark of a healthy organization that we can look at how we work together, especially after a particular policy discussion that went through recently. If we can get beyond the actual discussion on policy and take a look at some of the mechanisms that we have been using and possibly want to use in the future, I think that's just absolutely wonderful and Jonathan, I want to thank you more formally than I said to you through chat. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Jonathan, do you want to react to that or just continue?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

[Inaudible]. There's my reaction. No, thank you, David. I appreciate it. It's an ongoing difficulty that we are drinking from a firehose, as we say in English sometimes, in terms of the issues that are thrown at us to react to. And a number of people, Evan and I and many others, have suggested that we need to be more discriminating in the topics that we take on and really try to assess the ones that have a unique impact on individual end users so that we can limit the number of things that we're saying redundant things about the rest of the community, bring specifically an individual end user perspective to that conversation, all the while leaving time for some of the more strategic discussions about how we achieve consensus, how we get more people engaged in conversations, how we do a better job of reaching out to the community at-large to figure out how they're feeling about things, etc.

instead of a survey being a broad survey periodically because there would be more frequent, more refined or specific surveys, if we learn the overhead of doing those kinds of interactions with our community, then we're better able to represent their viewpoint. And so I think we need to make sure that we find the time to make these strategic advances while we're reacting to things that are going on inside the ICANN bubble.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Jonathan. Let's move to the next item, Glenn, to give us an update on the NomCom. Please [inaudible] if you're ready. Glenn McKnight, where are you? He is... I don't know. If you are trying to speak, you are muted. Well, while you get your computer set up, let's pull up to the next one. Just a brief note about the newsletters. It was a question if we should change the newsletter to a quarterly newsletter because things are not... We are not... There are not as much things to report on but I decided to do it monthly even if we add articles about COVID-19 and things that will help the region within that respect and [inaudible] is important [inaudible] the policy part will be there all the time so we're going to keep the newsletter monthly even though we can just... It might not be as much as [inaudible] from the region as I wanted to.

So Glenn, are you ready? You are now the approved... Heidi, let me do... Let Alan give us brief information about the EPDP where we are and let's talk about the approval of some money that was approved for ALAC and At-Large and [NARALO]. So Alan, are you ready to give us a brief report on this, on the EPDP?

ALAN GREENBERG: I can give you a very brief report. We have published a draft final report and an addendum to it. The ALAC has made some comments on both. We have disagreed very strongly with a number of the issues in the draft final report and they're all documented well on the ALAC, the At-Large policy Wiki. We did something that we have never done before. That is we have explicitly supported a GAC statement and it's noted in the GAC statement because the statement was exceedingly closely aligned with ours and we felt that supporting that was extra ammunition.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi.

ALAN GREENBERG: I'm not sure who's speaking.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, Glenn. Let's finish this. Alan finish and then you go over, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Go ahead, Alan.

ALAN GREENBERG: Okay. We are starting tomorrow to look at the cost estimates that ICANN has put together, and they're of course in the multi-million dollar area and so we're going to be looking at that and trying to figure out, among other things, how this could be paid for. And of course, making a value judgment on is it worth it because at this point, we are not getting as much out of this as we hoped and there are a number of issues that we believe are crucial, need to still be addressed.

The final report on the access mechanism for people to get access to confidential information should be out in June and we are strongly suggesting that the EPDP must continue to address a number of other issues which were deferred in Phase 1 and again deferred in Phase 2 that we don't believe should be left unspoken. So it's not clear how the PDP will continue. We don't have a Chair at this point past June and it's not clear we have ICANN funding past June. So it's an interesting time. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Wow. Thank you so much, Alan. I didn't know that. This is the result of [inaudible] years of work. Well, let's see what happens. Thank you so much. And Glenn, now are you ready?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I am. I am. I apologize.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go on.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, go ahead?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead. Yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Can you zoom in on Zoom into that timeline that's right on the screen right now? There's some alterations I'll need to fill in. So let me give you a very quick overview. I sent this to the newsletter and I sent it to the list. We commenced back in Montreal. That was our first meeting. We're all pretty gung ho. We got our orientation, what are our responsibilities, and we went through the key thing is confidentiality, which was completely stressed.

So what we did is we did outreach. I was the chair on the Outreach Committee. The ladies on the class will appreciate. I made a huge effort to reach out to any U.S. and Canada in particular to look at organizations that try to encourage women to go on boards. So that was one of the main things that I took on. But we did receive 126 applications. The same company that was used last year, Leah, was brought in and they did some major outreach as well. So we had 75 applications for the Board, 24 applications for PTI, nine applications for ccNSO, 13 for GNSO, four applications for ALAC, and four applications for ALAC Europe. So that in particular, the ALAC spot, I think we can do a little bit better. So we need to sort of pick up our outreach a little bit better. So I'm just going to give you that general comment.

So this is all for seven positions. There's two board, one PTI, one ccNSO, one GNSO, and one for Europe and one for North America in the process of the application.

So what happened? Well, we originally were going to have a big meeting in Cancun but we all know what happened there. Then we scheduled in April to start the face-to-face sort of getting this larger list of 126 down to a manageable level. That also got cancelled. So we've been going non-stop with these incredibly boring calls, just going through three-hour calls, just going through every single person, making sure we did our due diligence. Each of us were assigned so many people individually to do a soft dive and bring them forward and then we shortlisted that so we came down to 38 applications. So we have 14 now in a short list for the Board, seven for PTI, nine for ccNSO, four applications for GNSO, and two each for ALAC.

So where do we go from here? So now we're at the stage, if you look at that graphic that we have there, we're a little bit behind. So you could see where the deep dive was supposed to start in April. It hasn't started yet. We had our meeting today with Jay, [Ole] – [Ole's] the incoming Chair of ALAC – and all the members. This is an incredible team. I have to shout out to all the ALAC people that we, none of us missed a call. We've been there like troopers. So it's great.

So we're moving this deep dive up to today in terms of the schedule and this is going to go right to more than likely mid-June so we're not doing bad. We're not doing bad. That's where we haven't got our assignments yet but we're going to be doing our deep dive on that shorter list and then coordinate remote interviews. So I think despite all the challenges,

I think we've done exceedingly well on coming forward on the 38 candidates.

And one of the things that – maybe it was the last group that Leah was on – but we did hire a firm to do some unbiased analysis so that people could understand what their prejudices are, whether on a gender or ethnic basis. So that was a very, very important aspect of this. I don't know. Leah, you can tell me if it was in the past. But we have some excellent work that has been done. So we're on schedule. So that's it for the NomCom. Any questions?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: To your quick question there, we didn't have it last time it was discussed and recommended so I'm glad it's happening this time.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah. No, it was your recommendation. We were happy to do it so thank you for the recommendation.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any questions for Glenn? If not, I want to continue here with this. Well, we'll talk about this. Thank you. I just want to have... We have about three minutes for the top of the hour. We can cover the additional

budget requests. It was approved. Again, this year, every region is going to get \$4,000 of discrete money for [inaudible].

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Discretionary funds.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Discretionary, I'm sorry. Also, I think it was a very good thing that the real... How do you call it?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Real time...

EDUARDO DIAZ: [Inaudible]

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Real-time transcriptions was approved for English and Spanish and so we will have... We got approved for \$18,000 and so we were able now to do it in English and in Spanish. And then hopefully next year, we can add French to the mix. No. It said on the budget thing Spanish was approved, on the ICANN budget. So we'll then get it in both languages.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Judith, this is Heidi.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Heidi, I looked on the budget. It said Spanish in the budget.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. So I'm looking at the approval language which is showing here and it does say it's English only as a continuation of the fiscal year 20 pilot.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh. I thought... Leah, I read on the budget thing it says that we were approved the English and Spanish.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. If you can give me a page number of that, I will...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay. Sure.

EDUARDO DIAZ: You can figure it out and let us know, okay?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. We will.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [Inaudible] top of the hour. Glenn wants to mention a quick thing about a community thing which I'm going to [inaudible] now, Glenn. But

before I finish and Glenn does his thing, I just want to congratulate everyone that participated in the elections. Just to make clear that the rules and procedures, once the nomination period has happened and there is only one person there automatically elected by acclimation. So I want to congratulate Marita Moll, myself, and Glenn on the NomCom that will be recommended for the ALAC on these elections.

And like Judith said, whatever questions or comments you have about the process that we're going through, please send them in because this is a continuous improvement process and I just want to congratulate all of us and all of you. So Glenn, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Okay. Very, very quickly, last week, last Friday, I was reached out by Maureen. We have a member of our At-Large community that's in dire situation because of pandemic and they asked me to... It's Sebastien, myself, yourself, Eduardo, and Maureen, say, "Okay, let's get moving on this." So we created something called a Caring Communities GoFundMe project. And many of us, in fact, 75% of the funds have come from our community which is pretty spectacular that \$1,336 have been raised already in two days. \$1,000 has been mobilized already to get to the person who needs to pay their rent, to pay their food, they're in dire situation, all of the planes stopped moving so he's been stranded.

So many... I don't want to say who it is. It's just Maureen basically has been posting information but I'm not going to do that. So I'll just say this is an example of our communities supporting each other. It's not ICANN

money. It's people from the community that stepped up and thank you again, all those that contributed. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, well with that in mind, thank you so much for staying a little bit longer and I will hear you in the [inaudible]. Next time or next meeting is going to be, I believe, on June 8th will be the second Monday of the month.

So in the meantime, we can continue hearing [inaudible] beautiful and exciting meetings that we have [inaudible]. Thank you so much. Bye and congratulations to all of you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: This meeting has [inaudible] adjourned.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Bye all.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Bye-bye.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Stay well and safe.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]