

---

BRENDA BREWER:

Good day, everyone. Welcome to the SSR2 Plenary Call #110 on the 20th of May, 2020 at 14:00 UTC. Attending the call today, we have Alain, Danko, Russ, Jabhera , Norm, Laurin, Kaveh, Boban, Denise, and Scott. Apologies from Eric and Naveed. Observer Dennis Chang is on and technical writer, Heather. And from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Steve, and Brenda, and Ramkrishna is joining us right now.

Today's call is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record and I'll turn the call over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Hello. I hope everyone is staying safe and well. The first thing on the agenda is to talk about the timeline and as a part of that, the dates that we're going to turn off the spigot for additional questions. So let's start with that. Right now, we have a couple outstanding questions and we're looking at a possibility of a couple more. But I think that if we're ever going to finish, we need to make sure that there's a time where we say, "Okay, we're going to finish on what information we have even though, obviously, ICANN itself will continue to do things," and so I propose that the end of this month is when we will no longer ask anymore questions but work on finishing the public comment and the final report. Does anyone have concerns with that somewhat arbitrary date?

Okay. Hearing none, let's turn to the rest of the review timeline. Earlier this week, the Chair and Vice-Chairs got together and we asked the question. Basically, it was spurred by the fact that Heather's contract ended in June and we knew we weren't going to be done in June so we

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

asked, “When do we need to have the contract extended to, to make sure that we don’t lose Heather’s support in getting the final report out?” So historically, this team has made the most progress at face-to-face meetings. It’s very clear that we’re not going to have one of those in the near future. I would say that we needed to come up with a plan that said if this team is not able to have a face-to-face meeting again ever, when will we be done?

And so that end, we looked at all of the steps that we need to do, finishing the public comment, finalizing text in the report, making sure that the consensus of the group is maintained with that new text and so on. And we came up with the... If we had to do this with weekly calls, we would probably need ‘til the end of October to get done. So I’m running that by the team to say, “Does anybody see anything we missed?” If so, please speak up. If not, then we’re going to ask ICANN to extend Heather’s contract to that time and update the work plan to reflect that cadence. Any concerns that anyone sees at this point?

Okay, I’m not hearing any so we will proceed with that plan. The [next] thing is to get report out from the subteams. Brenda, could you put up a...

JENNIFER BRYCEW:

Russ, I see Boban just raised his hand. Sorry.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

I’m sorry?

---

JENNIFER BRYCE: Boban just raised his hand. I see in the chat.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Go ahead, Boban.

BOBAN KRSIC: Yes, thank you, Russ. Just for clarification purposes, are we talking about the October 2020 for finishing the report? and to put it in a public review, the second one? Or what was [reference] to this date?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you for the question. We hoped that that would be the final report, not an additional public review. We... That is a question we will have to ask when we're through with these comments, whether the delta between the report that went out for public comment and the next one is so drastic that we need to do that, but on the data we have right now, we did not think a second public comment would be needed.

BOBAN KRSIC: Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: We could be surprised. But yes, thank you for raising that.

BOBAN KRSIC: Okay, thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

I have to admit that we had to make this call at a point where we haven't seen much revised text from the subteams.

Okay, thank you for putting up this chart. This is kind of a thing that I came up with that we needed some kind of a bar chart to see where each of the teams are. What it reflects right now is the information that I could tell where some teams have tried to get started, some have scheduled calls, some have reached consensus on a direction, but none of them have finished their tasks. Some of them, it's pretty clear, have not even started yet due to reasons that have not necessarily been communicated, at least to me. I know that the ones, for example, where Eric is the rapporteur, just end of the semester is right now and he was overwhelmed with that. Now that the semester has ended, I'm hoping we will get his attention back.

So what I... We need to see steady progress of these arrows moving across the chart and we have reports out from a couple of the teams today where they have more than one direction or have proposed text in a couple cases.

So let's start with subteam 1, which I am the rapporteur. I sent an e-mail out to the team on the 13th of May that explained the comments that we had gotten and three possible ways forward. So let me just summarize that. There were two categories of comments. Remember that Recommendation 1 is finish up all of the implementation of SSR1 and we got comments that gave strong support for that recommendation and we got comments that said, "Please provide more

---

detail on what ‘fully implement’ means for each of those implementations.”

In addition to that, we got a comment from SSAC that said, essentially, hey, you have too many recommendations, and said maybe you can decide which ones are the most significant and drop the rest. So it really is just... There were also some things in the GAC comments that could be interpreted as encouraging fewer recommendations.

So I think we’re faced with three choices. We could bring the table from Appendix D forward into Recommendation 1. That table is the one that says what we felt needed to, how that implementation fell short or what we expected to find and did not find, and if we were to do that, we would have to make each row smart and I would say that’s a lot of work.

Choice 2 would be to drop Recommendation 1 from the recommendation list but strengthen Suggestion 2 so that it basically says Suggestion 2 was the one that calls for an implementation dashboard for each of the Review Team recommendations going forward, so the community can see how implementation is going. And so if we were to take Suggestion 2 and say, “Hey, the community would have uphold you earlier had you implemented it,” and strengthen that to show how these are the kinds of things that would have been caught and then say, “And we encourage you to complete those implementations.” And the third choice is to keep recommendation as it is, but strengthen Suggestion 2.

---

So I'm not sure which one of these is best and I open it to the Review Team to offer this subteam some guidance.

NORM RITCHIE: I think that all depends on who's updating the second one. So if there is a dashboard that's being updated, by the same groups that updated it before and said things were complete and then we came around and said, "No, they're not," I think we'd just be back in the same situation again.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I think there's one important difference, Norm, at least the way I read Suggestion 2 is that this dashboard would be online as opposed to a slide deck that is, reflects a moment in time. And so that as... It would be updated as the implementation is done, and so sure, it would be the basis of briefing the community whenever a briefing is needed but it gives people the opportunity to look in on an implementation associated with a recommendation they care about and say, "Why did it stall or what happened?" Or, "This doesn't look good enough to me."

NORM RITCHIE: Yeah, so...

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead.

---

NORM RITCHIE: Yeah, I kind of... I would like to see it go the way you're suggesting and just have a dashboard and that's it because I think all of those old recommendations are getting in the way of the new ones. So if we have the dashboard, we should also add in the new recommendations as well to that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Oh, that's what the suggestion was about actually.

NORM RITCHIE: Oh, okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Was our new implement—and I'm just saying that this would have helped avoid the situation we inherited.

NORM RITCHIE: I see Kerry-Ann and then Laurin.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: I support what Norm just said. How you described it, I think when you're asking the three options, I think it's to clarify the strength in the recommendation based on even the clarification you gave Norm a moment ago because the bottom line is the trouble we had going through this huge amount of slides just to kind of track and see what was going on and getting multiple documents from staff to be able to justify it to say, "Yes, it was done or wasn't done," I think no other

---

Review Team should have to go through that. So I think how you described or how you clarified it for Norm, we could probably add that to the text and I think emphasize the need for it to be a live document. If it's a tool they have to develop, they have a community that can develop it. But I think it's not something that's new. It's similar to just having a risk matrix that you just, pretty much, whoever's the owner of it just goes in and updates it periodically so the Board could see it. This is technology that's been around from forever. So I think it's something that's doable. And yeah, I don't think we should change it, but just strengthen it as you described it. I think it was your third option.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Laurin?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

I think Kerry-Ann essentially said most of what I wanted to say, so no need.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So you're also supporting Choice 3?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

I believe so. I mean, the one point that wasn't made is, essentially, I think to actually give a good answer, I would have to also look at it again in a bit more detail. And that might be true for a lot of other people. I'm happy to do that, but right now, I'm a bit like, "Okay, it sounds like the best." But I haven't looked at this in that way. So yeah.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I don't see any other hands. So does anyone else want to speak in favor of one of the other choices?

Okay. Let's go back to the bar chart, please. Great. Are... I know that Laurin had some things he wanted to suggest coming out of the team that he's rapporteur for. Is there anyone before that that has something to report out? Okay, then I turn it over to you, Laurin.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes. Hello, everyone. So essentially, in the interest of time, and I saw Boban just had to drop off the most reports in our cluster so I'll just [inaudible] in the interest of time because Boban isn't here. So essentially, what we did is we [inaudible] in an Excel table all the relevant comments for Recommendations 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. As you can see, the subteam members intersect heavily in this group and a lot of this stuff is related to more than one. So we essentially said we will sit down together and work it out.

So for each comment we got, we looked at [inaudible]. We agreed on what actions specifically to comment and we had [several] actions as well where, essentially, we saw there is a direction, a need for clarification [inaudible] in a section or something like that. All of this has been, essentially, worked through, has been agreed by all of us and we're currently at the point where we have actions and we asked Heather to provide us a playground document so we can move text a little bit and [inaudible], essentially show you, the rest of the team, okay, this is the new text versus the old text in the document that we'll

---

---

leave untouched. You can also look at this if you want. This is just in the team folder, just says “risk team” or something like that.

In general, we see there is a lot of clarification necessary and sometimes we need to kind of provide a better narrative so that it kind of makes sense to the readers on what’s going on. Some stuff we think we can merge or kind of shorten up, make it shorter, more to the point, and that’s, essentially, most of the risk stuff that I can think of right now. Obviously, you’re welcome to also look at our table that we use for tracking so none of this is secret.

If anyone has questions, let us know. I think Boban is still gone, but Norm, I believe... Yes, Norm is here. So if you want to add anything, or Kerry-Ann, please do.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: No. Just wanted to probably link back. Russ’s observation of not a lot of text [and they seen a lot of] amendments. I think going forward is just how we’re trying to not probably have it in the main document, so if team members [are then going to view] how the amendments have been made, Laurin will share the link to the new document, correct?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: It is...

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Or not yet?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: It is...

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: It's public?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Anyone can access it.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: It's public. Okay.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: It's part of the team folder. Right, Heather?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Yes.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I believe. Yes.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It's in the draft report section.

---

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Okay. Yeah, so at least everybody could track it. [They won't see it] in the main text.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Any other questions for the group of people working Recommendations 5 through 9? Thank you, Jennifer, for the link.

Okay. Denise, you said you were not sure whether you would have text for any of the recommendations by today but is there anything you want to share with the whole team? Is Denise here? I thought I saw her. She had dialed in.

DENISE MICHEL: Sorry. I was muted.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you.

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah. The subgroup has Recommendations 10 through 19, a variety of comments to address as well. There's... It won't surprise anyone that there is a range of comments on practically every aspect of every recommendation. The subgroup at a high level, I think, would like to respond to the key points in the public comments as it relates to each recommendation and then agree on some proposed suggested actions. So the goal here is to provide the full team sort of a master spreadsheet that suggests an SSR2 response to the key public comments on each

---

recommendation and then also suggested action which, in many cases, we will be a suggested redline text.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. That sounds like the right direction to me. Is there a high-level pattern across all of these recommendations that has already emerged or is it too soon?

DENISE MICHEL:

Oh, yes. The pattern is that the community does not agree on SSR2 abuse-related recommendations. There's very strong support from several elements of the community and those outside the community and opposition from some elements of the community on the very same recommendations. So there is no unanimity but that's one of the reasons why we thought it was important to, at a high level, make sure that we respond, that choices will have to be made and that a response to the key public comments should be included in some fashion in a spreadsheet and then decisions will need to be made on how to update the recommendations.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Thank you. I'm not surprised that the community is bipolar about this topic.

DENISE MICHEL:

Right. Right.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Are there any other subteams that are ready to share a direction?

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: I have a question. Sorry.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead.

ALAIN AINA: [Inaudible], can you hear me?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Just a minute. Kerry-Ann had a question. Then we'll come to you. Go ahead, Kerry.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Just a [inaudible]. I needed to ask the team regarding the privacy section. With what's happening with COVID. And I don't think it's affecting ICANN per se directly, but if anyone has any information that should be considered regarding some of the threats that have come up, the only privacy consideration in cybersecurity with what's happening now because as I said, I think the report should be current. But the discussion around privacy is using GPS for the apps that they're developing, really, and that all the amount of data that's being collected. But I don't think that impacts on ICANN. So I just wondered in

---

terms of looking at all the comments that were coming on privacy, which I haven't been able to look at all yet – I'll try and do that this weekend – if anyone has any considerations or thoughts, just to include in the report, so when I sit to redraft that section, it at least takes into account the current picture as well. If they could just send me an e-mail directly and just let me know, but I don't want... I want to make sure that we consider everything at this stage if we're going to redraft or touch that section. Yeah?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Clear or unclear? I don't know.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I think your request was clear. Okay. Alain?

ALAIN AINA: Yes. I just wanted to give a brief report on what we've been doing, we did for in Recommendation 27 subgroup. But before, I can see on the sheet that the Subteam 2 had done work up to consensus and I'm listed there and I've never been contacted by Boban. So I would like to hear—I don't think I missed mail, or I want to know what is going on there because I'm not associated and I can see that they [have reached consensus.] But that is okay. When Boban comes back, he may tell me.

---

So for Recommendation 27, you can see is Russ and [inaudible]. We started a discussion. We had a third round of discussions and then Recommendation 27 has, there are two sub elements, 7.1 and 7.2. So they look like they seem to have... I won't say I agreement. Anyway, we... From my communication with Russ—and Russ, feel free to correct me. So on the first part of the recommendation where people complain about we being specific and mention a certain algorithm and not mention other algorithm, I think it's easy to address this.

But then the second part, which is [amending the DPS] to facilitate. So currently, the ICANN.org seem to be looking for the subteam to provide more detail on this thing and then we have to discuss this. So I have [a token to] respond to Russ on this, and hopefully we will be able to get something out. But Russ, feel free to say if you share my optimism or if you feel otherwise.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

No, I think that we just need to update the findings to reflect basically what you already said and then I think maybe the recommendations stand. I didn't see anything in those comments that indicated a lack of support.

ALAIN AINA:

Yes. I think [my reading on that,] okay, I think that with the recommendations said PTI should update their DPS to facilitate... I think it look like, from my reading from ICANN.org, seem to be if you are saying facilitate the real algorithm rollover, does not fit in the DPS. It has

---

to [inaudible]. So it is not only for under the DPS. It has to go through more analysis so that you guys should provide more detail.

But I think what our original thing was not to tell how to do the algorithm rollover, etc. but to say that the DPS, the current DPS lack that information which said that it's possible to do algorithm rollover. But [I think] for me, we're not recommending or to tell them how to do it but to say the DPS must have that provision. But I think we can take this discussion and now make sure that, Russ and I, we have [common] understanding then. It requires that we amend the finding and [the sentencing,] or if we rephrase the algorithm [inaudible] differently. So this is what I want to discuss with you in the coming [days.]

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Right. I agree with you. We shouldn't pick the algorithm. We should let them.

ALAIN AINA:

Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Is there anybody else who would like to talk about their subteam?

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Just a quick comment. I think, two and maybe three are just, I'm not sure if these are correct. And I did look at it and I did not spot that. Maybe Boban didn't either. So I can totally imagine that these are a

---

[fragment] because I commented something on that based on our work. So that is probably just a fluke. So just to deal with that, I think that's not correct in the document.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Well, would you just go ahead and fix it?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I can.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you. All right. Is there anything else?

ALAIN AINA: Russ?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead.

ALAIN AINA: I'm just curious about something. So currently, we have subgroup and the subgroup [inaudible] are working, we are working privately. But all this e-mail exchange are not recorded somewhere. For example, we cannot see what other people are doing or [inaudible] because we, I think we need to get some of these private discussions recorded or maybe have some of the subteam discussion on the bigger list. Even

---

though I'm not in the subteam, I can just listen to what other people are doing. So, how do we do this?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So you're correct that we need to be open and transparent here. At the same time, I think that the subteams need to get to the point where they need to have something to report out and I don't think everything in every single thing they consider needs to be put there on the list. But each of the subteams needs to share their work product and how they got there.

ALAIN AINA:

Okay. That's my concern. Thank you.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Maybe to add, so at least for risk and abuse, this is going in the same direction. Comments and actions are in Google Docs, which are available to everyone. And for risk, the document, so this is 5 to 9, we are playing around, is in the team Drive. So while the calls are obviously not easy to record or something like that, the outcome is definitely visible. So this is available and I was just thinking maybe for next week or so, we should try to share these so that we have these insights if we want to.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Is there anything else we need to talk about today?

---

All right. I think then that the subteams need to keep working. In fact, I'd like to see the pace picked up a bit. Hopefully, now that semesters are wrapping up and so on, that can happen. Let's move as rapidly as we can to get this work done and back to the whole group and I will work with the ICANN staff to update the work plan to reflect the decision we made earlier.

Okay. Is there anything else that needs summarized at this point? Okay. Thank you all. Please let's get this public comment. I feel like we're the snake that ate the big thing and it's got to work its way down the body. Let's do that. Thank you so much.

[BRENDA BREWER:]

Thanks, Russ.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Bye, everyone. Bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]