
FRED BAKER: Good morning. This is the RSSAC call from April 2020. You can see in the agenda in front of you this morning, we have some vote items and then random reports from various people. So, let me go through the roll call. Ozan, you want to give me that list of people? There we go, thank you.

Okay. So, Cogent are you here? DISA?

KEVIN WRIGHT: This is Kevin Wright. Audio only.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ICANN?

MATT LARSON: Matt Larson is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ISC. I'm here. Jeff, are you here?

JEFF OSBORN: I'm here, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay. NASA? Netnod? RIPE NCC? University of Maryland?

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

KARL REUSS: Karl's here.

FRED BAKER: USC ISI?

WES HARDAKER: Wes is here for an hour at least.

SUZANNE WOOLF: And Suzanne.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ARL?

KEN RENARD: Ken Renard is here.

HOWARD KASH: Howard Kash here.

FRED BAKER: Verisign?

BRAD VERD: Brad is here.

FRED BAKER: And WIDE?

HIRO HOTTA: Hiro Hotta here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Kaveh, you are also the liaison to the board. When Liman comes on, he's liaison to the CSC, but you're not here right now, right Liman?
And Brad, you're here from the RZERC?

BRAD VERD: Yes, sir.

FRED BAKER: Russ, are you online?

RUSS MUNDY: Yes, I am. Good morning.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And Ozan, in the chat we have both of our NASA reps now.
Daniel, are you here from the IAB? Naela, are you online?

NAELA SARRAS: I am here. Good morning.

FRED BAKER: Good morning. Duane, are you here?

DUANE WESSELS: Yes, Duane is here. Good morning.

FRED BAKER: So Ozan, does that constitute quorum?

OZAN SAHIN: It does, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Hi Fred, Kaveh is here.

FRED BAKER: Kaveh is here. Okay. And then from staff we have Andrew, Danielle, Ozan, and Steve Sheng.

So, now moving ahead. What we have in the agenda this morning is, I believe in total, six votes. Caucus membership, appointment of RSSAC members of the caucus members of committee, two documents that we've been discussing—actually three documents that we've been working on—and then some commentary from the chairs of committees developing such documents, and then a number of liaisons.

Okay, Daniel is online. Okay, let's move to the draft minutes. Everybody received and read them, correct? Do we have a motion to approve the draft minutes?

WES HARDAKER: Wes Hardaker moves.

FRED BAKER: I'm sorry. I missed that. Who was that?

WES HARDAKER: Wes, sorry.

FRED BAKER: Oh, Wes, okay. Do we have a second? Keith seconds that motion. So, those in favor—well, does anybody have a problem with the minutes? Are there any issues with it? Not hearing any, is anybody abstaining from approving the minutes? Failing that, I believe we have approved the minutes and we now go to the caucus membership committee.

Ken, question. You and Jeff volunteered to be on that committee and I believe you [have] withdrawn your name. Is that correct?

KEN RENARD: Yes, I will defer to Jeff.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, Jeff you're elected by acclamation. Jeff will now be a member of the RSSAC Caucus Membership Committee.

JEFF OSBORN: Thank you.

FRED BAKER: And we have a candidate, Farhan Khan. Somebody want to talk about him? Okay, so you're looking at his statement of interest. I can't say I personally know him. His credentials seem to be pretty good. So, does anybody have a problem with putting him on the RSSAC Caucus?

BRAD VERD: Fred, do we have a recommendation from the rest of the membership committee on to whether or not to accept him or is this a ... ?

FRED BAKER: Well, that's what I was just asking for. I expected someone from the membership committee, and not Jeff because Jeff has no reason to know all this.

BRAD VERD: I'm not ...

OZAN SAHIN: Fred, sorry I don't have the virtual hand as I am the host of the meeting. So, I'll just put myself in the queue and I'm supporting the work of the membership committee so I can respond to this question.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Go ahead.

OZAN SAHIN: So, yes Fred, the committee proceeded with recommending this candidate to the RSSAC for becoming RSSAC caucus member.

BRAD VERD: Thank you. That's all I needed to hear.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And Naveed, you have your hand up.

RAO NAVEED BIN RAIS: Yeah. This is Naveed, liaison to actually the ICANN Fellowship Mentoring Committee. So, just wanted to say that this candidate has been my mentee for the last meeting and because of that I know him and I actually encouraged him to apply for and to become a contributor to RSSAC Caucus actually.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, now let's go back to a vote. Does anybody have a concern? Does anybody oppose to him being a member of the caucus? Is anybody

abstaining from the vote? Failing that, I believe we have accepted him. So, could we go back to the agenda? Thank you.

So, we have done section 4, the administrivia, and moving on to work items. Ken has put together two statements of work. We've discussed them and had some conversation about them. What remains is for us to vote on, to accept, these two statements of work. If we accept them, then Ken will be starting work. We have a list of three or four names in each committee.

So, this question of a tool to gather local perspective of the RSS, is there any conversation on that? Failing that. Ozan, do we need a motion for this? We already have a motion, correct?

OZAN SAHIN:

Thank you, Fred. Yes, so if the RSSAC thinks this statement of work is chartered, then the next step is the RSSAC should discuss whether to set up a work party for this statement of work and then I will work with Ken on the next steps in setting up a work party if that is the direction from RSSAC.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. And if I recall correctly, we have three or four people that have said that they want to work on the work party.

OZAN SAHIN:

Yes, correct.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. So, I believe we have a motion with the submission of this. Let's go ahead and take a vote on it. Is anybody opposed to starting this work party? Failing that, will anybody be abstaining? Failing that, I believe we have agreed to start a work party on this particular tool and Ken will be the leader of it until he finds somebody to take over for him.

Ozan, can you go back to the agenda? Okay. So, now the other question [is, is] the work party to study the effects and mitigations of a rogue RSO? And again, there you are. So, we started this when we were writing RSSAC 37. And the question was what do we do if there's a rogue RSO. And we put together some thoughts on that, which you find in RSSAC 37. And this is kind of expanding on that. So, this will give people an opportunity to think about what a rogue RSO might do and the, of course, recommendation would be to the DRF and say maybe they shouldn't have that job.

I'm assuming everybody has read this. Does anybody have any comments on it? Failing that, we'll go to a vote. Is anybody opposed to having this work party? Is anyone abstaining from the vote? Failing that, I believe we have accepted it. So, Ken and Ozan, would you kindly get this process rolling?

OZAN SAHIN:

Certainly.

FRED BAKER: Back to the agenda please. Now we have a statement on joining the empowered community and we had some discussion of that. Can you show us that please, Ozan? Now, in this, we make several recommendations.

So, the statement that we're making, Recommendation One, is that not the RSSAC as currently constituted but RSSAC next generation which is being considered and thought about by the GWG, should become a member of the empowered community. This is a significant change from what the RSSAC has been in the past. And to that end, we have adjusted the bylaws removing the necessity of the ICANN Board approving or accepting people that are recommended for the RSSAC and I believe made some other changes to the bylaws. And we are saying that we believe that the best bet is for the RSSAC next generation to become part of the empowered community. Ozan, could you move down to Recommendation Two? I guess that's the only recommendation.

OZAN SAHIN: Right. This is the end of the document.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. Brad, you've got your hand up?

BRAD VERD: Yeah, thanks. I just want to add that in discussions in the GWG, the GWG was informed that this document was forthcoming and they

agreed that it would be very helpful to them to have this. So, I just wanted to add that.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. So, sounds like we're in violent agreement with them, then. So, let's vote hopefully to accept this. Having read it, having participated in its development, is anyone opposed to having RSSAC next generation join the empowered community? Is anyone abstaining from the vote? Failing that, I believe we have accepted this document. And Ozan, I'll leave you to put it through its processes. There we go. Okay.

Now, we're still discussing, still working on, the RSSAC statement on the identification of server operators in the industry and so on. Duane, do you want to talk about that?

DUANE WESSELS:

Sure, thanks Fred. So, we went through a couple of editing rounds after our last call and tidied up all the loose ends and it's now out for 48-hour last comment, I believe, starting yesterday. Is that right, Steve? If Steve's on the call.

STEVE SHENG:

That's correct, Duane.

DUANE WESSELS: Yeah. So, essentially RSSAC has another 48 hours or so to make final comments on it and then it will be published. Oh, I see there's some last-minute changes. I wasn't aware of that so thanks, Steve.

So, I guess we do have some last-minute comments to address in this relating to the newer terminology of root server identifiers. But we will still welcome other comments if people have them at this time.

FRED BAKER: And, question, do we then need to vote on it electronically after it becomes stable for a week?

DUANE WESSELS: We certainly could. I'm not sure there's a lot of urgency. I mean I think we could go either way on that. That's my opinion, but I'm open to what Steve or Andrew or staff have to say about that as well.

STEVE SHENG: Duane, I don't think there's an urgency. I think finalizing this document will help the RSSAC 23 version two because in that revision they will probably want to refer to this document and make the necessary changes for how the root server operators are named. Thanks.

DUANE WESSELS: Right. Yeah, that's the only dependency I can think of as well.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, what's the trajectory for that document? Is that something we'll be accepting in May or do you do you want an electronic ballot later in ... ? I'm just thinking sequencing.

DUANE WESSELS: Well, let's see. Obviously, I hadn't seen Paul's last-minute changes here until just now. So, let's take it a day or so to work on those and then I'll talk to Steve and the staff and decide if we want to do another last-call period and then vote electronically.

FRED BAKER: Okay. That sounds good. Can we go back to the agenda please? There we go. So, the history of the root server operators. Andrew, you want to talk about that?

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: Yeah, thanks Fred. So, this is about RSSAC 023 V. 2, the update to the history of the root server system document. The caucus had a good call yesterday, there had been some new text, a couple of new sections, well, one new section, and then major updates to two sections. So, we talked about that. We worked through that. Right now, staff has some work to do to accept a bunch of comments and then my plan is to send the document to the caucus again probably early tomorrow and go fishing for some more feedback on these new sections and finish that up by Friday if anyone has any commentary on these big changes. Once that's done, I think the document will be ready for a more formal review where we just ...

FRED BAKER: Andrew, did we lose you? At least from what I'd heard, you stopped mid-sentence. Yeah, so Russ says in the chat that he lost sound. He hears from me and nobody else. I don't hear Andrew. I'm not hearing anybody else. Have we got sound in the chat room or in the call?

[WES HARDAKER:] Fred, I hear you but I don't hear Andrew. He dropped about the same point you did.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

OZAN SAHIN: Hi Fred, Andrew probably dropped and while he's trying to reconnect, I think we can continue with the agenda and revisit RSSAC 023 version two when he's back.

FRED BAKER: Okay, that sounds good. I just want to make sure that we have people on the call that we should have.

So, the next thing is comments from the chair. And Brad, you'll be welcome to comment in here as well. Things over the last few weeks that come to mind are a short list. We of course have a worldwide problem with this coronavirus, we cancelled ICANN 67—well, it converted to a virtual meeting. And there has been discussion among

the SO and AC chairs with the CEO, Göran Marby, about what we should do with the KL meeting. I don't believe that ICANN has actually made an announcement and I don't want to steal their thunder, but in SO and AC chair meeting a week or so ago, Göran said that he didn't really like the idea of getting us all on an airplane and prancing off to KL with the death rate that's happening there and with all that's going on in the world. And so, he expected that the KL meeting would likely become virtual. Stay tuned on that. Like I say, we have not had a formal announcement but that's at least the direction things are going.

Also, the ICANN translation office is translating the executive summary of RSSAC 37 to Chinese because they have gotten a number of requests to do so and I'm not sure who those requests are from. I can think of possible alternatives, but I haven't heard. But at any rate, I'll let you know that translation is happening and of course is not a normative document of any kind, it's a translation of a document. So, if you have any questions or somebody's going to the bat and saying "but it says this" it would need to go to the English version. They are in the process of translating that.

And I have been asked, as chair to the RSSAC, what I would like the ICANN Board to be prioritizing and, Kaveh, you might want to comment here as well as our liaison to the board. The principle thoughts that I'm thinking about is that we're feeding documents and thoughts to the GWG and the important process at the moment is the GWG process. And so, what's important to me to prioritize is how we facilitate that process and ensure that it remains on track. Brad, do you have anything that you want to add to that?

BRAD VERD: I'll just add that I think there's, again, every indication that K-L will be remote and I think I'll add to that is the planning group within ICANN said they needed a six-month window [to plan] meeting. So, meaning, they need the all-clear on this global pandemic and then a six-month window to plan a meeting, which is why you see KL going remote. Yeah, that was the only thing I'd add there.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And, well, six months, that puts October in question as well. So, again, no formal announcements but that might not happen. Kaveh, do you want to add anything?

KAVEH RANJBAR: No, nothing more than that. I think I agree with you that we should put the priority there on finding a solution for the GWG and then see how we can be informed about that because, formally from the RSSAC, we haven't solved that problem yet. But, other than that, no. I agree with Brad that there is a very good chance that it will be remote, KL.

BRAD VERD: I can add a little bit of color to the GWG, I was waiting to do that until the end but I could add it here if you'd like.

FRED BAKER: Go ahead.

BRAD VERD: So, we took that formal request. We, myself, Liman, and Hiro, as the RSO representatives basically took the request that RSSAC would like to have some sort of dialogue or update as to what's going on and how [inaudible]. We sent that to the chair which is Ted Hardie of [GWG] and he and the group discussed it [inaudible]. Somebody's mic is open, sorry there's just a lot of noise. And they agreed that Liman, Hiro, and myself can act in an informal manner basically to give updates to RSSAC as to what's going on in the GWG. So, the three of us will kind of act as liaisons or a way to give updates as to what's happening in the GWG and then take feedback to the GWG from RSSAC.

FRED BAKER: Okay, great. And since you're in that position, do you have anything to comment on from the GWG at the moment?

BRAD VERD: Hopefully, I don't know if Liman or Hiro are here, but they can certainly add to it. So far, the last two meetings have been all about RSSAC 37. So, essentially the executive slide deck that we put together and we've used to brief the community. I ran through that with the group, fielded questions, and then this last meeting was spent discussing the scenarios, essentially. We went through the scenarios that are in the back of 37 and in detail walking through those and discussing them. The initial feedback given on the scenarios was that "Well, these need to be fleshed out more." And the feedback we gave them was "Yes, that was

the expectation of this group from RSSAC.” So, that’s being talked about.

The other thing that came up was they asked what other scenarios should be thought of and my response was that the five scenarios that were provided were essentially the big questions that have been asked for decades and not addressed: How do you add, how do you remove, what happens if someone is under-performing, so forth. And that was by no means meant to be an inclusive list of the scenarios, it was just meant to address the top-hitting questions. So, there is a discussion of what are other scenarios and I’m happy to share that when it comes up.

But that’s where we are right now. As I said earlier, Ted Hardie is the chair of the group and we are meeting every other Thursday.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Yeah, keep us informed. If they have questions for us, we’ll want to be responsive to them.

BRAD VERD:

Yeah, so that’s where the document on the empowered community comes in, they were identifying the reference documents that would be used to drive their charter essentially. And I mentioned that this one was coming and they said that’s great. As soon as it’s out with a number they’ll add it to their reference point.

FRED BAKER: Great. Kaveh, I actually gave you an opportunity to talk a minute ago but now next on the agenda is liaison to the ICANN Board. Do you have anything you want to add to your comments? If you're talking Kaveh I'm not hearing you. And he is on mute. So, I'll move on the CSC and Liman, you are not on the call I believe. So, okay. Brad, do you want to talk about the RZERC?

BRAD VERD: There is really no update from RZERC. Nothing that really needs to be shared here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Russ, you want to comment from the SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY: Thank you, Fred. I don't have much to comment on this morning, although I do have a question about the work party that was just voted on earlier with respect to the rogue operators. Ken and I had some offline discussions about engagement of SSAC and the conclusion that we reached between the two of us was that the SSAC members that are on the RSSAC caucus can certainly make a good contribution to this activity. But I did want to ask if anyone on RSSAC wanted me to push on SSAC, make a big deal of this effort in any way, or just let it take its normal progress?

FRED BAKER: My expectation would be that we simply let it take its course. Does anyone have a viewpoint other than mine?

RUSS MUNDY: Okay, that's great Fred. Thank you, I just wanted to ask the question just to make sure there wasn't anybody that wanted to see something like a joint work party or something like that. Okay. Thank you. That's it.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Thank you much. Daniel, do you have comments for us from the IAB?

DANIEL MIGAULT: No, we have nothing to report. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Naela, anything from IANA?

NAELA SARRAS: I have no updates either to report this morning that pertain to this group. So, thank you, nothing from me.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Duane, Root Zone Maintainer?

DUANE WESSELS: Yeah, also nothing new to report.

FRED BAKER: And Eric Osterweil, do you have anything from the SSR2?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Hi Fred. No, we're in the possession of some 300 and some-odd comments from the community that we're applying to our report and going through it and there's going to be a big orchestration to try and get people plugged in to put the reviews in and there's some discussion about structure changes, et cetera. So, right now, the most [important] part is that we'll have stuff to report, but right now we're still lining up the team because the public comment from the GAC just came in today. That's the last one we're expecting. So, we've been holding fire until we got that and now we're organizing to actually address comments in our report.

FRED BAKER: Okay, cool. Thank you. Suzanne, do you have anything from the IFRT?

SUZANNE WOOLF: Yeah. Assuming you can hear me, the bureaucratic milestone was that the group has finalized the documentation of how we're working the rules of engagement and the work plan. As of a week ago, that's all been finalized. The substantive update is that the group has divided the IANA function contract into its various pieces and people are going out and reviewing just how the different pieces of the contract work and

who are the customers for each part and working on methods for getting input from customers on their interactions with IANA and so on.

So, we've done the bureaucratic part and our somewhat but not massively behind schedule on getting into the substance. It's actually getting interesting.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. So, Amir, do you have comments from the nominating committee or the fellowship selection committee? Is he on the call? He is on the call. Amir, I believe you're on mute. Well, so I don't hear from him.

I spoke with him the other day. I've been going through the different liaisons and having conversations with each one as specified in RSSAC 0 and his comment on the fellowship selection committee the other day was that they had a slate of fellows set up and ICANN 67 didn't happen. So, they're simply moving forward with that set of fellows for ICANN 68. If ICANN 68 doesn't happen, I imagine they'll do the same for ICANN 69. But he's not on the call to tell us that.

Okay. Naveed, you want to comment on the mentoring space?

RAO NAVEED BIN RAIS:

Yeah, hi. So, basically, we had a discussion also the other day so things have been understandably difficult from the fellowship point of view because of the [inaudible] meeting and the time zone difference and all that. And especially when this meeting at the right time at the last minute was turned into [inaudible] some of the fellows they did not know how to respond to that and some of them just stopped

cooperating in the mentoring process. So, it has been challenging from that perspective. So later they all move to ICANN 69, and all the 67 fellows are moved to 69 because ICANN 68 fellows were already announced before that. So now we are expecting those ICANN 67 fellows to be available in joining the physical meeting in Hamburg, actually in case that happens. So far these have been challenging times and we are just trying to update the mentoring process itself as with trying to be effective in terms of the virtual sense of the meeting because we are not used to this kind of meeting set up, so let's see how it goes. So, we look forward to 68 but it seems that 68 is also out of the cards. So, I'm not sure if this year will be that effective on the mentoring point of view.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. Well, I don't think you need to feel bad about making it up as you go along. That's what the rest of us are doing. Let me stick in a couple of things here. One of them is that we're going to be planning ICANN 68 pretty soon—staff, Brad, and myself—and I'm expecting at this point that it will probably be virtually so we'll be scheduling some calls along that line. If you have suggestions for us, any comments you want to make, you can send them to Brad and myself ... Well, send it to RSSAC admin and we can discuss it.

Second point, this is really a question for you, Hiro. Your primary, Jun Murai, has just retired. Is he going to continue his work with the RSSAC or are you guys going to be changing that role?

HIRO HOTTA: Jun actually has not retired yet. He is still in the Keio University and the WIDE Project and he intends to remain in the RSSAC. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Sounds good. And Andrew, we got cut off in the middle of your discussion of the history document. Do you want to continue on that?

ANDREW MCCONACHIE: Yeah, sorry about that. I think the only thing to add is that I'll be sending out an email tomorrow to the caucus to gather comments on a couple of these new sections and then having that either close over this weekend or on Friday we will have a document that's ready for a more done review. And after the two week review and then the 48-hour review, we should be able to vote on it. So, we're finishing up with this document but we're not quite done yet. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: Okay, thank you much. At this point then we're on to AOB. Is there anything that's not on the agenda ... ?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Fred, I'm back so can I give a quick update on the board?

FRED BAKER: Yeah, sure. Go ahead.

KAVEH RANJBAR:

Yeah, sorry I got disconnected, my phone got confused. Just a few days after our last meeting I think on the 12th of March if I'm not wrong, the board had a meeting, nothing related to RSSAC as I reported before was generally on the agenda. It was just for more organizational thing, more formal clean-up of thing, but I think it's good that RSSAC knows which is formal acceptance of the Second Organizational Review of the RSSAC Detailed Implementation Plan. So, really off the RSSAC Detailed Implementation Plan. So basically, we gave the plan, the board has accepted it, and now advises us to go ahead and implement which we have to in [inaudible] days, and keep the board organizational effectiveness committee, which is in charge of these organizational reviews, informed.

Also, they resolved that any cost that might incurred because of implementing that should go to our yearly budget, which is normally done by staff. So, that's the only RSSAC related stuff that the board discussed.

FRED BAKER:

Okay, great. Thank you. So, back to this question of does anybody else have anything that they want to talk about at this point? Failing that, Eric, you and I are supposed to have a liaison one-on-one at this point. Can you just stay on the call when everybody else drops off?

ERIC OSTERWEIL:

Sure.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Ozan, you might want to do the same. With that, I believe we can call this meeting to a close.

BRAD VERD: Thank you, Fred.

RUSS MUNDY: Thanks, Fred. Bye all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]