
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ALAC monthly teleconference call on Tuesday, the 28th of April, 2020, at 16:00 UTC.

On the call today, on the English channel, we have Maureen Hilyard, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Adrian Schmidt, Andrey Kolesnikov, Bastiaan Gosling, Sebastien Bachollet, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Natalia Selena, Javier Rua-Jovet, Joanna Kulesza, Jonathan Zuck, Kaili Kan, [Abdulkarim Oloyede], Loris Taylor, Marita Moll, Raymond Mamattah, Roberto Gaetano, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Vanda Scartezini, Yrjo Lansipuro, Anne Marie Joly-Bachollet, and Mattias Hudobnik.

On the Spanish channel, we have Sylvia Herlein Leite, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, and [inaudible].

On the French channel, we have [inaudible].

We have received apologies from Amrita Choudhury and Alberto Soto.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, Evin Erdogdu, Vanessa Peters Allgood, Herb Wayne, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management. We also have Yesim Nazlar from staff, joining late.

Our Spanish interpreters for today are Veronica and David, and our French interpreters are Aurelie and Camila.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name for the transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

A friendly reminder that we also have real-time translation on this call. I will put the link in the chat for you guys to follow at any time.

With this, I turn the call over to you, Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Claudia. Apologies to everyone for starting a little bit late this morning. There's connection gremlins at work, and it's really strange that the Zoom seems to be working fine and the phone connection is just terrible.

Just moving on, therefore, we have confirmed a quorum, which is cool. Thank you very much. We have a really good group here today. I'm really pleased to see everyone here.

Just going through very quickly the agenda, it's a very consistent kind of agenda with our policy activities/the At-Large activities, which I want to get some feedback on. We're going to have a little session with Leon today. We're ending our meeting [with focusing] on ICANN68 and the At-Large Review report and elections. They're the important things that we need to get done pretty quickly. So this is basically is what then meeting is going to be about today.

If there's anyone who has anything with regards to AOB or any amendments or anything like that, is there anyone who wants to ... I'm just trying to get [off] the chat. Does anyone got their hands up?

No. Okay. Let's get going then. Thank you very much. It's a 90-minute call. I'm trying to keep everything within that timeframe, so I will then move on.

First of all: action items. If you click onto the link, if you're on that, everything seems to have been done, so no minutes are needed for that. It's great. Everything that was listed there has actually been completed, and [what's left] to do is the items we're going to raising today anyways. So, done.

Let's move on then to the important part of our meeting: the ALAC policy development activities with Olivier, Jonathan, and Evin. Thank you.

EVIN ERDOGDU:

Thanks, Maureen. I'll just run through the brief outline of recent activity and turn it over to Jonathan and Olivier as usual. As you can see on the agenda, recently ratified by the ALAC since the ALAC monthly meeting, there are four statements. One of those statements was the first-ever joint AFRALO-APRALO statement. This was a RALO statement which was written by leadership from those two RALOs and then endorsed and ratified by those RALOs. Afterwards, the ALAC also ratified the statement. So that was a great new RALO contribution to policy.

In addition, the others, including revised community travel support guidelines, draft proposals for NextGen at ICANN, program improvement, and Name Collision Analysis Project (NCAP) Study 1—those three—were ALAC statements and ratified by the ALAC.

Currently, there's no public comment for decision, but, during this call and then hopefully on the CPWG this week (tomorrow), there will be discussion regarding four statements that are currently in development, the first being the Phase 1 initial report of the review of All Rights

Protection Mechanisms in All gTLD Policy Development Process. This closes relatively soon, on the fourth of May. There are two drafting team volunteers: Greg Shatan and Marita Moll. They recently sent through on the list a presentation of the At-Large stance on this issue. It's a form to fill out rather than a statement this time. I don't think Greg is on the call, but perhaps Marita would like to make some comments. Otherwise, on the CPWG it will be discussed.

Also, there is a draft statement for the addendum to the initial report of the Expedited Policy Development Process (EPDP) on the Temporary Specification for gTLD Registration Data Team, Phase 2. This closes also relatively soon on the fifth of May. Hadia Elminiawi provided the first draft, and Alan Greenberg has commented on this. So please do provide comments.

There's also a new RALO statement from AFRALO regarding the ICANN public comment on the Africa regional plan for fiscal years 2021-2025. Again, that's a drafting team from AFRALO. There's a statement already out and there's a link to the Google Doc on the agenda.

Finally, we have the ICANN public comment on draft PTI FY'21-'24 strategic plan. This closes on the 1st of June, and Holly Raiche has volunteered to take a look at it and provide some input. This was also circulate on the ALAC Finance and Budget Subcommittee list, as many of you had just came from the webinar that ICANN hosted on the topic.

In addition, regarding policy, the consensus playbook has been published, so there's a link there in the agenda that I'll also share in the chat of ways to develop policy consensus within ICANN.

There's also an At-Large geo-names survey, which will close on the 30th of April. We're hoping to get as many At-Large members as possible for consensus on geo-names.

Also, the ALAC responses to the ICANN Board understanding of the ALAC advice on DNS abuse were submitted. This was an outcome of the ICANN57 virtual meeting.

Thanks so much. I'll turn it over to Jonathan or Olivier. Thanks.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks. I guess I'll start with just supplementing this a little bit. One of the things that's continuously ongoing, as many of you know, is the work of the small team working with the Subsequent Procedures recommendations, both in identifying the areas of specific interest to the At-Large community, as well as what our potential positions on those issues might be in the form of scorecards. I certainly recommend that everyone look at those scorecards when they get the chance because they're individually composed and they're not consensus-based yet. So we'll need to achieve consensus around each of them prior to submission of any comments to the Subsequent Procedures Working Group.

One of those areas is geo-names, about which we have a survey that we're trying to close shortly. We had set a deadline of the 30th of April, but we're trying to actually schedule a dedicated call with interpretation where people can come on and do the survey together and ask questions if there's something that's unclear and get the benefit of translation of the questions for greater participation. So I'm hoping that,

once we get such a call scheduled, we can get all of your help and the help of the RALO leaders to get people onto that call and bring the numbers up. We have about 44 respondents. Alps and I have worked on the underlying analysis of the survey that we can then plug into whatever the final results will be, but, in order to make any kind of a statement or recommendations regarding geo-names, we're going to have form consensus around them. At this point, we have none, other than that we're all interested in it. So I would like to keep that in your radar: this idea of the survey. Take it yourself if you can. We're also going to schedule a survey party call, and I'd love your help in evangelizing that so that we can get as many people from as many areas from the At-Large community to take the poll so we can form some consensus around recommendations that we might want to advance.

Olivier, do you have other things that you'd like to mention?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Thanks very much, Jonathan. No, you've pretty much mentioned the Subsequent Procedures workspace, which is particularly important. I hope staff is able to put the link into the chat. We'll make sure that maybe the agenda gets updated with the link to that workspace.

I was going to mentioned very briefly—because I guess it's also important but it's not as big as this—the At-Large PDP 3.0 workspace. That's because the GNSO Council is moving on to its next-generation policy development process. There are certainly some consequences for At-Large participation in this. The actual document—the consensus playbook—can be downloaded from the agenda. If you wish, you could

make some comments in the At-Large PDP 3.0 workspace, where we might convey these comments in the future to the GNSO Council or through any process that requires our commenting on this.

I think that's all I can add on that. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Olivier. As Marita has noted in the chat, on the RPM issue, there aren't a lot of end-user specific things, but there has been a PowerPoint circulated on the few issues that they regard as affecting end users. We'll go over those on the CPWG call.

Alan Greenberg, do you have your hand up related to this stuff?

ALAN GREENBERG:

I have my hand up related to a number of things. It's been up for a while.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Oh, sorry. Go ahead.

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. First of all, on the EPDP, tomorrow there will be two presentations on the CPWG. One is on the draft comment on the report addendum, which was already mentioned. That closes next Tuesday, so this is the last opportunity for the CPWG to look at it. I don't believe the addendum comment will be controversial. They're all issues that we've mentioned and have generally had support for before.

There will be another discussion, however, on the evolution mechanism for the SSAD, which is the first we'll be discussing this. We pretty much immediately have to give a statement on behalf of the ALAC for whether this is something we can live with or it's something we cannot live with. The answer is not at all obvious. So that will be a really important issue, and I encourage everyone to attend and to participate in that discussion.

Lastly, one of the other items that we've already discussed briefly is the consensus document from the GNSO, but it applies to the rest of ICANN as well. Just to note that, according to this document, either the ALAC doesn't exist or we have no mechanism for deciding on consensus. Last I heard, we do exist and we do have such a mechanism, but it wasn't mentioned in this document. We may want to note that to the GNSO. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Any more from the policy team?

ALAN GREENBERG: If someone is speaking, we can't hear you.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: If I could jump in, on this consensus playbook as such, I should note that there were members of At-Large that were interviewed by the team drafting the consensus playbook. I understand it's an external consultant group that did that. I'm baffled as to why the ALAC system was not included in the appendix. I wonder whether this might just be

an oversight or a tiny error that could be corrected. So let's not make it a huge story about it. I think, if we were interviewed, then they should have had all the information about how it works. Thank you.

ALAN GREENBERG: We were definitely interviewed.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Certainly, I was. I think that you were too, so, yeah, exactly.

ALAN GREENBERG: Yes. Correct.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Well, obviously an oversight. I wasn't interviewed. So, if you two were, I mean, [hello]. We'll just remind them of that perhaps. Anything else?

No? On policy? No. All righty. Thank you very much. Some very interesting sessions coming up. As has been [requested], it would be really good some of our members—well, all of our members—at those sessions.

We've got the [inaudible] of current ALS and individual member application. Evin?

EVIN ERDOGDU: Thanks. For the ALS and individual member applications, unfortunately, Alperen is not on this call, so I'll just run through them. ALS snapshot.

The current total, as you can see on the agenda, remains the same as the prior month, but there has been quite a bit of activity in terms of ALS applications themselves. Notably there are two AFRALO ALS applications that will move forward to the ALAC vote. The announcement of positive feedback will be made on the next AFRALO monthly call, which I think is on the 6th of May. In addition, we're awaiting feedback on several other applications that have undergone due diligence, either from the applicant or from GSE. There are also two more AFRALO applications that are maybe put on hold. We're awaiting some more information from those applicants.

Regarding individuals, the number has increased by one. There has been another individual from EURALO. Otherwise, that's the same.

Thanks very much. Back to you, Maureen, unless there are questions.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Are there are any questions or queries for Evin? It looks like a very busy time with lots of interest coming from the community with regards to applications. So that's good to see. Also, there is an ongoing interest amongst the individual members as well. So that's very cool.

Moving on, we have the report section. If there's anyone who actually has something burning that would actually like to raise at this particular point in time with regards to what's happening in your area, please do so now.

Or people can read your report—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks. Ah, now my hand is going up. [inaudible] delayed. Anyway, I did pop things in chat because other people have covered some of the things I was going to point out such, as [inaudible]. The only other thing I wanted to point out from the most recent GNSO Council call, the gory details of which you can all, of course, find on the dedicated page for the GNSO liaison's report, that, for the first time, many of you ... Let me start that sentence again. Many of you may not [inaudible] have never had a truly single form of public meeting. They've had private meetings, which were livestreamed for the public to listen to. You had choices of [inaudible] and web capabilities of streaming and all that, but you were never, as a non-GNSO councilor, in the meeting. Because of the positive experience, even when we were in face-to-face meetings in ICANN meetings, we were always in two chatrooms—the GNSO council separate one, where the meeting was held, per se, and a viewers' one, which we may or may not have, as councilors, joined.

Anyway, during the remote meeting, it was all one great, big happy family. They managed it. The world did not come to an end. From now on, instead of all of the other ways of listening in to a GNSO Council meeting live [inaudible], everyone can now join the Zoom room. It's run in the webinar style, so you can't interact with each other and you aren't part of a public chat. But you can in fact chat with all the

councilors, and all the councilors are treated as panelists. So, of course, they can talk to each other and see all chats and things like that. But that is a change. It's a fairly radical change. It's a change for openness and good. I just wanted to publicly note it with, I think, from at least from my perspective, a, "Hear, hear. Well done." So that's just for the record.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you very much, Cheryl. Yeah, that's an interesting development for the GNSO.

Judith?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hi. I put in the chat that it's not necessarily a report but, with the RTT, we are going to, as we have some extra hours during the time before we close in June, open it up for At-Large sessions in June for the ICANN68 to have RTT in addition to interpretation. If you have some other sessions that you would also like RTT for, please do let us know because we do have some extra hours before we close the fiscal year. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Judith. I've been following the conversations that have been going on about that, that there are [inaudible]. If people want to use them for their meetings, that seems to be possible.

I note that Ricardo has just come back from the finance meeting. Ricardo, have you got anything to report that might be of interest to us?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Yes. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: Our finance is sent for Board approval—a new budget for fiscal year '21. That is 11% lower than the one that was posted for comments in December. Also, there is almost [16%] decrease in the next five years. Although this year seems to be [nice], the decrease for fiscal year '21 is important. There is a reduction in the number of registrants that seems to be important right now. The finance team is going to provide us an update. We don't know [when and on which basis], but [inaudible] from now on because this is an important situation for [inaudible]. That's all. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Thank you. So that's hot off the press. I know that I was actually going to attend the afternoon session at 13:00 UTC this afternoon. It'd be good to hear the extended version of Ricardo's report. So that's awesome that [inaudible] [in time] to give basically a short finance and budget report.

Is there anything else that's pressing? Anything from RALO Chairs [inaudible]?

No? Okay. Moving on to the ATLAS III 2020 At-Large activities, just to get an overview of what is happening out there which each of those areas, is Eduardo here? Did I see his name?

No. Okay. The post-ATLAS III reporting group has been meeting regularly and working very hard on the review of the ATLAS III survey report that was done. There's some excellent recommendations that have been made by the group that's been working on the analysis. That should be out very shortly. I think Eduardo is going to try and see and getting it out by the end of April. That report, once it is out, will be distributed to At-Large to actually have a look at before we start incorporating some of those activities into our working group after the ALAC has had a little look at it as well, of course. Yeah, there's some excellent work, and I really do appreciate the small team that's been working on it, and Eduardo's group as well. So it's unfortunate he's not here, but we can come back later for what he's been doing on that particular project.

Now we're back to Jonathan, only on the other side of the policy activities that he's been involved in. Jonathan?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry. What are we ...

MAUREEN HILYARD: We're going to talk to you about the policy platform and the ICANN Learn stuff that you're doing for [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Okay, sure. Thank you. There's been some discussions about the policy platform and the best place for it to live. We had a discussion with the ITI folks, and it appears as though it will be a couple of years before that platform is really available for our use. So we're looking for interim solutions for where to put information, like onboarding and other things.

One of the things we're discussing is just creating our own WordPress site that's off the ICANN official site so that it's more easily updated by the volunteers and doesn't need to go through the same kind of rigorous legal gauntlet that things on the official site need to traverse.

The other thing we're looking at is making more use of the ICANN Learn platform. We're doing some interactions with the ICANN Learn team to see how the At-Large itself might be able to be engaged in creating their own content that's hosted on the ICANN Learn platform and what those guidelines would need to be. As it turns out, today our webinars are hosted there. So there is some At-Large content on ICANN Learn that doesn't go through their rigorous process either that might allow us broader participation and creation of centralized content in a place that everyone can make it available and it's cataloged, etc. So we're in ongoing discussions.

I created a sample course on At-Large policy development processes that's been uploaded to the ICANN Learn site and works pretty well, using a tool that is free to use and can allow you to use PowerPoint presentations as a starting point for your course authoring. I think

what's exciting about that is that, if we can PowerPoint or other slides software as a basis of creating presentations, the basis of creating videos, and the basis of creating educational materials, we don't have to have the same kind of steep learning curve that we would have if everybody had to learn tools for each of those activities. We'll probably try to prepare some kind of webinar on creating content with PowerPoint and creating better PowerPoints to begin with, and then those things will be leverageable both as videos, authoring tools, and course authoring tools. So that's fairly exciting. The fact that they're free—the authoring tools for the courses—means that we don't have a budgetary barrier to entry [inaudible].

So that's the update on those things. I see Judith has her hand up, and Alfredo has a question in the chat. I can certainly give you a link to the course that I developed. It's nowhere near final. The narration is me talking about what we would want to talk about as opposed to talking about it, if that makes any sense, because it was meant to be a test and a discussion piece. I'm happy to share it so that you can see what the test course looks like that was created entirely in PowerPoint and then just supplemented with this free tool with quizzes and things that you want to embed in a course that isn't a built-in functionality of PowerPoint. I will, before this call ends, go dig up that link and post it in the chat.

Judith, I see your hand up as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I think it's a great idea to use ICANN Learn. My only concern is that we have to make sure that any images or any PowerPoints or anything like that we put up is accessible for people with disabilities and specific needs. A lot of the PowerPoint images that are images are not, so we need to be very mindful about that. We also need to be very mindful that captions are provided. So we need to really, especially if it's going to be our content, to make this extra push. There's no reason, if we're designing our own content, that we don't have accessibility in mind when we are designing it.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Judith, I don't know if it's your connection or mine, but it sounds like—oh, it might be mine—you broke up when you were speaking.

As far as accessibility, I agree completely. That's something as well that I've been discussing with Betsy at ICANN Learn. PowerPoint already has alternative text for image functionality built into it that we haven't been making much use of but can. It has closed-captioning capabilities built into it. There are sites online for choosing color palettes that are more accessible. So I think those are some things that we can build into the education that we create for our internal use across the board because those same issues apply to our presentations and the videos that we create as well, not just the ICANN Learn courses. So I think they're important issues. We haven't been paying enough attention to them. I am not an expert at them, so I welcome pointers to good guidelines and things, but I have identified websites for creating color palettes that are more accessible. And there are features that are already built into

PowerPoint that we can use to some of the other things, such as closed-captioning and alternate text for images.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. I know, in PowerPoints that were submitted for different webinar that were had, the images people could not read. They just see [old] images. We've been pushing ICANN Learn for a long time, and now that, with their new platform, they're making things accessible, we don't want to step back by putting PowerPoints or other stuff that brings us backwards a step. So we want to make sure that everything is accessible.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Sure. Thank you, Judith. Abdulkarim?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

[inaudible]. Is there any review process before those materials are uploaded?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Well, that's a very good question, and that's part of what we're trying to determine: what that process needs to look like and whether we could create our own checklists and review processes. I think that are potentially two different processes, one in which materials are created just for the At-Large and are only visible to At-Large volunteers. Then there could be materials that are meant to be made public as part of the ICANN Learn catalogue that would go through a much more rigorous

review process. So I think there's two different alternatives, depending on how rigorous we need to be for a particular project.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Okay. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: As Alfredo has posted in the chat, there are plenty of tools for us to use so that, if we had a checklist of things that you should do and we might want to be doing anyway for all the things we do, including webinars and things like that, there are tools to check for accessibility and other important issues.

Justine asked if I was going to do a class. Yes. I think I have to get through the DNS webinar on the 4th, but I can do a class sometime shortly after that using PowerPoint to create videos and courses.

Any other questions?

All right, folks. Thanks, all, for your time. Back to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Jonathan. I think that there's been lots of conversations going on about then whole ICANN Learn developments. Of course, we're moving on to capacity-building with Joanna soon, but there are issues that need to be done, as Jonathan mentioned. There's a level of thing that we would like to do within At-Large. But, at the same time, once it gets into ICANN Learn, it actually takes it to another level, where

legal becomes involved and all that kind of stuff. So we really have to work out what is an acceptable process that we can follow that meets everyone's needs.

Joanna will have other issues to raise with regards to capacity building. What Jonathan has just discussed is really just his side of things. Joanna will have other perspective as well. Thank you, Joanna.

JOANNA KULESZA:

Thank you, Maureen. Indeed, I wanted to comment and link with all the information that Jonathan provided. He's been wonderful in taking the lead in providing content for both the ICANN Learn course on At-Large policy development as well providing very tangible inputs into our policy positions initially to be a part of the policy platform that, as Jonathan indicated, with him taking the lead in identifying our challenge. We might seek an alternative way of communicating our policy positions before the ITI [project] covers or includes At-Large.

With that, there seems to be an issue of a uniform approach to communicating both our processes and our policy positions, which we view as an outreach and engagement challenge.

With that, the policy platform fits into our next step in terms of capacity building and communicating better the way that At-Large develops policies and [inaudible] on specific policy issues.

With that, I truly appreciate the opportunity to work together with Jonathan on those very tangible outcomes.

The agenda here has those three main threats we've been working on. Indeed, [an item] [inaudible] on At-Large policy development policy development is one of our top priorities. We would love to use the ICANN Learn platform as the ultimate tool for providing information on the way that At-Large develops policy. As Jonathan has indicated during our previous meeting, it's more of a work in progress or the ideal way in which we aim to develop policy as much as it takes account of where we stand at this point.

The ICANN Learn policy development course would be our number-one priority, but, while working on that specific course, we identified other issues that will likely also require our capacity-building input in the form of an ICANN Learn course. Now, Maureen feels very passionate about having a more general course that describes what At-Large and where it stands, so that will likely also be on our agenda once we manage to figure out the most appropriate and the quickest way of working with the ICANN Learn platform. We talked about the course on DNS abuse and the webinar that Jonathan mentioned, which will likely also be a stepping stone towards that goal.

Surprisingly enough, [inaudible] more than the process of working towards an ICANN Learn course, it's the substance that has proven challenging, so we're trying to figure out a way of providing content for the ICANN Learn course as quickly and as easily as possible. As Jonathan indicated, he has explored new ways, and we are trying to convince the ICANN Learn team to take onboard a ready-made solution, so to speak—or as ready as they can be—to speed up that process.

Hopefully, once we are over that very first hurdle and we know how to get that process going relatively quickly, we will be able to fuel the platform with other At-Large-oriented courses. As Jonathan indicated, the policy platform fits into capacity building. Also, in the context that Beth has been doing, we have been working as a small working team, trying to figure out how our policy positions/the policy platform could be fit into the updated slide deck. You will see that also in our agenda as one of the capacity-building resources. So the updated slide deck for now might be the location where would harbor the draft policy statements/the draft policy platform. But, as already said, the biggest challenge seems to be identifying the appropriate channel for further communication.

You could see on the agenda on the screen the dashboard that was created to provide one location for the growing number of capacity-building tools and methods. One of those that has provided quite useful and that will have four more unfolding are the webinars previously successfully managed and initiated by Tijani and now managed by Hadia. There is a small subgroup that is leading the webinars. We had one with Hadia and Alan. Thank you again, Hadia and Alan, for a most interesting webinar on the EPDP. The next one, as Jonathan already mentioned, will be focused on DNS abuse. There is a calendar and there are [themes]. We encourage all the regional leaders on the ALSes to spread the word to their members and local community to participate in the webinars. We look at them as capacity-building tools, so we try to use them as a way to provide information and, at the same time, test the results of that capacity-building exercise, whereas we also look at them as a way of informing the community and welcome, through

questions or 30-minute discussion, feedback on individual issues that come up. So, in that context, I would assume that the DNS abuse discussion will have a [certain timely flair] as we are getting ready for the next virtual item meeting, which will reflect around the topic that seems to be most current now. In that sense, a series of webinars will cover topics that are of interest to the community, but the forms of the webinars will allow also to provide a platform for timely discussions.

With that, those three key elements, in collaboration with the ICANN Learn team providing courses or content for those courses, for the onboarding slide deck-policy platform, we're finding the right tools that communicate where we stand, what our processes are, and how those provide us with a policy position. Third, the series of webinars are extending and, one hand, presenting us with new challenges, like the challenges to use the ITI that the ICANN Board has been working on for a while now. At the same time, they provide with us new opportunities, like, for example, the growing number of ICANN Learn courses.

With that, the Capacity-Building Working Group is always looking for volunteers, so, if you know of ATLAS III ambassadors or At-Large ambassadors who are looking for a place where they can [fit] in, the Capacity-Building Working Group will always welcome them.

I know we Alfredo on the call. I know we have [Steph] on the call. I know we have Alan on the call. If there's anything I might have missed and should be mentioned [inaudible] here, then I would welcome your feedback. Thank you so much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Joanna. That's an excellent presentation and a call for actions for anyone who is wanting to get a place in the Capacity-Building Working Group. As you've heard, that's a very comprehensive overview of work that's being recommended. We need some help onboarding. So if we can be there, it'd be really great. As [Dev] said, I think you covered everything, Joanna.

If we don't have any other questions or queries to Joanna and Jonathan, we then move on to outreach and engagement. I was just wondering if we ... Oh, Daniel is here. Great. Daniel?

DANIEL NANGHAKA:

Thank you very much, Maureen, and thank you all for joining the call. I have to apologize for joining the call a little bit late because I had other engagements that I was involved in. I also have to share that, tomorrow, we will be having our Outreach and Engagement Subcommittee [free] call. Thanks, Heidi, for posting that into the chat.

I'll give you a brief of where we are regarding outreach and engagement. After identifying various challenges that have been underdoing, especially the fact that ICANN67 was shut down by the COVID experience and the subcommittee failing to meet face-to-face, it happened to create a new avenue of how we can be able to explore innovative approaches for our outreach and engagement. So this yielded a discussion to start evolving the virtual strategy for outreach and engagement, which I'm happy to share that a little progress has been going on on. At least the Co-Chairs have done tremendous work contributing to this strategy. Since we wouldn't have wanted to be so

slow in the process, the team happened to take lead in drafting this strategy and then pushed it out to the members for a comment period, which will be ending on the 30th. I welcome you all to contribute to those respective comments for the strategy. Heidi can share the link to the chat for those who have interest.

I'm just going to highlight a few things regarding the strategy which also tackle some of the recommendations that came in from the ATLAS III leadership training and what the key action points were for outreach and engagement. I'm very happy that Joanna already shared the work that Capacity-Building has been doing. Also, Capacity-Building is doing really a great job, especially when it comes to the webinars and designing the ICANN Learn courses to measure. Also we have the At-Large participation toolkit, which has been also listed as one of our key priorities as outreach and engagement, and also [Dev], who has been working on the onboarding program. At least there is good progress because we are not inventing the wheel but I have seen the previous methodologies that worked to be able to create appropriate within At-Large, respectively.

Regarding the priorities, I'm most happy to share that, at this time, local initiatives have been going on. Also, there's a need to transform an alternative from face-to-face to how we can be able to engage virtually.

I'm also happy to share that already here is a calendar of virtual events whereby each respective RALO of all regions can be able to input events and where members can be selected to be able to engage to participate in these strategies. Not only will they be participating, but they can also be able to engage in various discussions that take place.

Also, the IGF is just one of the meetings that we have been participating. If the IGF is going to be a virtual meetup, then definitely we shall have to see ways of how we can be able to enhance our participation and our engagement within the virtual outreach and engagement.

We also highlighted the FY'21 general assembly and these strategies since this is an activity that is ongoing. Mainly it affects both EURALO and LACRALO. How can we be able to harness the power of virtuality to be able to create maximum impact regarding our participation of our members?

Since also some of the leaders are on this call, I'm happy to report that at least four regions have already finalized their respective RALO strategies together with operational respective leadership and the Global Stakeholder Engagement VPs in those respective regions, which is really great. That means we are achieving our respective timelines. We have had that, by May, the strategy should be ready, and, in [that case], they can probably be maximized during the next FY, which is at least good.

Regarding engagement strategies, it also sometimes gets back to the hot topics that came out from Barcelona. These topics came up, and still they provide an avenue for how we can be able to engage the community regarding issues that affect them. This is a list of topics that have been mentioned, which include DNS abuse, cybersecurity, IDNs, and universal acceptance, just to mention a few. All these can not be jeopardized, but there is still a need for more appropriate implementation and cooperation from all the respective key players—

the leadership, the various working groups, like CWPG, and also Social Media, which cannot be left out because they played a very important role in regard to sharing the content and the meeting that we hold and also how we can be able to engage.

So still we highlighted the various tools that are being used, which include the Zoom meetings that all of us are very much familiar with, and also polls and surveys. I'm happy to share that NARALO already a [inaudible] survey for their members. Also, this can be replicated so we can be able to fully maximize the capacity of our volunteer base such that they can be able to contribute just on their skills.

RALO newsletters are also going on, and there's also [inaudible] videos going on with our video king, Jonathan. He's at least good at this and at least his support is very, very important towards evolving these videos. So blogging still continues and also a [inaudible] process, which Joanna mentioned, and also the events that have been targeted. At least I'm happy to share that our GSE to the outreach engagement, Adam Peake, is keeping us at every meeting up to date on what GSE is planning. This also helps to enhance our collaboration, just like a recommendation that came out of the At-Large Review which called for collaboration with the Global Stakeholder Engagement and staff and then also the various working groups and the various constituencies. I think this is something good.

Regarding how we can be able to promote these strategies still, social media plays a very important role. Capacity building is playing a very big role regarding these strategies. All this information has been summarized. You can please go ahead and read the strategy document,

which Heidi has shared. I welcome you all to contribute. In case you feel there's a little bit more time, tomorrow, during the outreach and engagement call, which I'll going through this document, seeking consensus from the members, in case there is anything that you feel hasn't been highlighted in this strategy, we welcome your input.

Let me hand the floor back to Maureen in case there are any questions. I welcome them.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Daniel, for a very comprehensive report on Outreach and Engagement's work. If you're interested, please turn up to the Outreach and Engagement meeting. There's a lot happening. I've been tracking the conversations going on between Daniel and the Co-Chairs. A lot of work is happening here, and it's really exciting to see people so involved, especially at this time when time is of an essence and everybody is protecting what time that they can give to ICANN in respect to what's in their environment. So thank you very much for all your support there, and thank you, Daniel, for your report.

With regards to my section, which I'm actually [not] going to have to speak of too much because the rest of the agenda basically covers what is important to my area, there is still the communications strategy, which is a Google Doc. Heidi can put the link in. I thank those people who have been contributing suggestions to the strategy. We really do need those to pad it out to make sure there are no gaps. It's an evolving document anyways. It's not an issue but we do need to get something in place pretty quickly.

One of the things we're going to move onto to, because I know those things that were part of my area are coming up anyway, is, of course, that we have a very important person in our midst at the moment: Leon Sanchez, the ICANN Board Vice-Chair, who is going to speak to us on what's on top for the Board and how it affects on us as At-Large. Leon?

I do know that he's here—oh, yes.

LEON SANCHEZ: Yes. [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Lovely to see you, Leon.

LEON SANCHEZ: Sorry, Maureen. I was on mute. Thank you again for having me. I would like to update you on a couple of items. The first one is one that I think is on top of pretty much everyone's mind, which is the proposed change of control of the .org registry. As you know, we have been evaluating this proposed change of control for quite a few months now. Well, we have a deadline to decide on this proposed change of control, which has been set for May the 4th, the Star Wars day. I hope that The Force will be with us. That is the date that the Board will be making a decision on this, unless, of course, something relevant comes up.

You might have seen, in the [inaudible], the letter we received from the California Attorney General's office. I've been reading a couple of opinions and articles and reading words pretty much on different

websites. I can tell you that this letter is not definitive, and the Board has been evaluating tons of documents, arguments, opinions, etc. So this letter shouldn't be taken as some intervention from any kind of authority on ICANN or the Board making a decision. So I just want to point that out. I think it's important that you know that we have been conducting a very thorough due diligence on this. We have, as I said, evaluated tons of documents and materials. We have been, I think, now ... I don't know. I would be saying something inaccurate if I said a specific number of calls, but I can tell you that this has been a very exhaustive process that we have been carrying at the organization and Board levels.

As I said, we will be making a decision on May the 4th, if nothing, of course, comes up that would delay that decision. I hope and I trust that we will be making the right decision. Whatever the decision we make, I trust it will be the best decision we can make.

Another update I wanted to provide you with is that will be holding tentatively—I say “tentatively” because it hasn't been officially announced but I'm pretty sure it will happen—the public Board meeting on May the 5th. As soon as I have the details and the agenda for that, I will let you all know so that, if you can join us for that public Board meeting, of course, it will be good to welcome you to that call.

I am sure that you have been following ICANN's blog, too. They're having a couple posts, one of them related to DNS abuse actions the organization is taking. As I know, this is a dear topic that we have in At-Large. So I guess you have been following that. If not, I definitely

encourage you to follow the blog and stay up to date on the different postings that are published there.

The last item that I would like [you to hear] about: This is the time when I would encourage you to come forward and let me know how we could better support you as volunteers during these challenging times. I have been following the chat, of course, in Skype, through the mailing list, etc., and I know we are all facing challenging conditions, challenging situations. We need to deal with this pandemic situation that we're all going through. I am sure that it's not easy for anyone. Everyone has different kind of challenges, but we all face challenges, of course. I know that, for At-Large, it is especially challenging in some countries. I specifically refer to the developing countries and the least-connected countries. I know that we all follow ICANN [folks] and ICANN meetings on a daily basis from home, but this tends to be a little bit more difficult when we have virtual meetings, as the one we held in ICANN67 that was meant to happen in Cancun. But, of course, you all know that we weren't able to do a face-to-face, and we won't be able to meet face-to-face in Kuala Lumpur. Well, WHO knows. And by "WHO," I mean the World Health Organization and also anyone else that might wonder about this. WHO knows when we will be able to go back to normal, and WHO knows when we'll be able to meet face-to-face again. Hopefully, it won't take long for that to happen. In my mind, until we do have an effective vaccine and an effective treatment for those who fell ill to this virus—SARS stuff, too—we won't be able to go back to normal.

In the meantime, I would like to hear from you. What are the challenges you are facing, and how could we better support you to face or go through those challenges? How can we make your lives easier? How can

we make your participation easier? With this, I am not promising that all the problems will be solved, of course, but I see this as a first step to try and solve this problem and to try to help you face this challenge.

So I would like to ask you, Maureen, if, of course, we can hear from those in the call which challenges they're facing, how we can support them, and how we can help them overcome those challenges. Of course, this is not just the 10 or 15 minutes that I have for you. As you know, I am always open. I am always an e-mail away from you. So, if, for whatever reason, you're not able to voice your thoughts right now, please do come forward. Send me an e-mail. Tell me your story. I will begin looking into it, and I will try to find way to help everyone who is in need and facing challenges in these difficult times.

Thank you, everyone. Thank you, Maureen. Please do take the floor and let me hear you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Leon. If you have a skim through the chat, I think that your concern and the concern of the Board is very much appreciated. As you say, and as you've been monitoring, there have been some incidents raised by various members. I think, as it happens, it may seem a little bit more serious. What I can coordinate if we don't get very many ... I know that people are thinking. If we can coordinate a paper that we can present to the Board, I'd be quite happy to do that.

Cheryl has her hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Maureen. I appreciate you reaching out on this, Leon, and I certainly recognize and endorse the [first] that's on emerging and developing economies with the already classically known but deeply regretted by many of us digital divide issues that are associated with that. Obviously, your attention has been draw to various surveys and research in the chat.

Something that ICANN may be able to do to [inaudible] is [inaudible]. As you know, there are often competing interest, even in the ICANN context, with clashing meetings and overlapping meetings. There is only 24 hours in the day, and there's an awful lot going on. But we don't pay enough attention, I believe, to the reproduction that's in regional spaces of important engagement activities and meetings. We don't replay things enough with perhaps one or two people who were able to attend and acting in Q&A. I think there's opportunity to spread the interaction opportunities more effectively over the 24 hours we all live in without resorting to the ridiculousness that I often used to find myself in when I had enough bandwidth of two and three meetings running at once and trying to attend all of them. We see in today's call people having to leave. There are a few parts of ICANN that pay attention to do a meeting at various times, duplicating meetings at various times. Maybe more attention could be done with that. Maybe we could look for opportunities where the various spaces and regional offices could reproduce and re-interact and reengage, not just "Here it is—the download. Listen at your own leisure," because that's not the same as being in a meeting.

Anyway, I just want to say that bandwidth, even in emerged economies who have had perfectly good, albeit ridiculously expensive in the case of

Australia and somewhat unreliable in the case of Australia again, broadband, etc., I cannot run two Zoom rooms at once anymore. There is not enough bandwidth coming out of my satellite for me to do it, so I have to now choose which meeting I will join and pay most attention to. I think maybe we can do some smart thinking about fixing that, not just for the ridiculously bizarre people like me who want to multi-task but for those with more limited connectivity, etc. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl. Sebastien [inaudible]. Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much. I totally agree with Cheryl. Also, one point is that, with Zoom or any other tool, it's now very disorganized—the meetings—and, therefore, there are plenty of organizations that we are participating in, more or less—ICANN, ISOC, [inaudible] in France, and other organizations—who organize a meeting because you just send an e-mail and you have 10, 20, or 100 people coming. That's easy. Yes, a lot of us, I think, face a problem with bandwidth, and it will not be solved in the near future. Therefore, when, for example, you have at the same time a very important meeting on finance and you have an ALAC meeting—very important too—how do you do it? When you have, at home, other people who are also in connection with their Internet, they also need bandwidth. Therefore, we have to be very careful about how we want to use that at ICANN.

More globally, I wanted to express here officially that I think the way some of the groups are moving now—rushing things, finalizing things—

even if it's hard for some of us to participate in the reflection or the finalization of the document, it's not the best thing for ICANN. I understand the deadlines. I understand plenty of things, but we have to be very careful. I guess I sen[t] some e-mails about this topic to some of you. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Sebastien. I think what we'll do—there's been comments in the chat, Leon—is I'll give you a list of any other comments that come through, including ones that have already come through on e-mail [inaudible]. We will keep you informed. But I think you're aware of what the main challenges are. I think it's really how many people does that affect, especially among those who are major contributors to the activities that we've been talking about. The only reason that Daniel, Joanna, and Jonathan can actually speak so comprehensively about them is because they're getting input about what is important and what they need to do. At the same time, we can't expect the same people to do be working on all these activities at the same time. We are prioritizing. There are things that need to get done, but we still need to have input from our community. So we will get those challenges to you and keep the Board informed about how we're managing.

Is that okay?

LEON SANCHEZ:

Absolutely, Maureen. Thank you very much. Thank you, Cheryl, Sebastien, and everyone who has provided input [inaudible]. As I said, I am always willing to help, and I will do my best to help everyone that I

can. I really want to express gratitude that I personally and the Board has for all the work you do, especially in this very challenging time. So thank you again.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Leon. Again, we really do appreciate the support.

We've got 14 more minutes, and we have three other items, although the main one is the discussion. We want to have just a quick discussion on ICANN68. There's going to be a meeting tomorrow or sometime soon on ICANN68. Just because it's virtual doesn't mean that we forget about it. It'll be just important as a face-to-face.

Gisella, if you can just give us a rundown on what's happening ICANN-wide and [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you, Maureen. I'm going to keep it very brief. We still have quite a few questions which are to be confirmed and are very much a work in progress.

To summarize, ICANN68 will be a four-day meeting as initially scheduled, from Monday the 22nd through to Thursday, the 25th, of June. I will put in the chat a link to the ICANN68 workspace, where I have just recently posted the draft block schedule, which is being considered. There we go. We have it on the screen. Thank you very much. As you can see on that, we will be having a block [of specific] sessions during the day, running from 00:30 through to 09:00 UTC time. We'll be talking UTC times just to make it easier.

As you can see, there are six 60-minute sections during the day, but we will be requesting some of our sessions to be 90 minutes. Again, this will need to be approved by the Meetings Team, subject to having interpretation and technical report for a 90-minute session.

The non-conflicting plenary slots will be from 05:00 to 06:00—that is, if we have one plenary daily. The 06:30 to 07:30 is a secondary [plenary] slot if needed. A survey went out the SO/AC leaders' ICANN68 meeting list to prioritize the topics for ICANN68 for the plenary sessions, and we should be hearing more over the next couple of days.

As we're not able to have more than two concurrent Zoom rooms with interpretation, we're working closely with other groups, mainly the GAC, who also have interpretations to see what their needs and if there are any other groups with interpretation needs to make sure that we only have any two concurrent sessions with interpretation.

We will also be requesting real-time transcribing (RTT) for our sessions. We will update everyone on that when we have final confirmation on the technicalities on that.

Again, just a reminder that ICANN68 is going to be very different to ICANN67, as we don't have the main technical hub set up at the Los Angeles topic, but I'm very confident that we'll still be providing a seamless operation.

Just with regards to prioritizing our ICANN68 sessions, we have an ICANN68 planning committee later on today, UTC time, to work on the prioritization of our sessions and how many sessions which we wish to hold during that week to make it realistic.

To provide you more information on that, I'll hand it over to Maureen. I'm happy to take any questions. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Gisella. So that's the big picture. I think that one of the things that we're going to be doing [inaudible]. I just my calendar. The meeting of the ICANN68 planning committee is actually on today at 19:00 UTC. We've got, on this planning page, a block of ideas that people have already presented of what they would like to present during ICANN68. What we're actually going to be looking at is we'll make a decision about what sessions. We have actually thought about having one block each day, which is going to be three blocks of policy and one block of community engagement, probably outreach and engagement. But I really would like to see some local or some RALOs involvement in there as well. So we've just got to have a look and see what people are offering and what we think would be appropriate for our presentations. If you're interested in finding out what might be possible, come along to our meeting.

Are there any questions or queries related to what might be possible for [inaudible] you'd like to raise anything at this particular point in time, although it's not necessary to do so. It's just if there are any ideas. Gisella has got the link in the chat.

Okay. There's going to be more discussion anyway at the meeting today. The only meeting that we've actually had have been just to gather some ideas. We do need to really consider them very carefully because, as Gisella said, we don't want to replicate everything that we did in our last

meeting, but we do need to provide something that we think is going to be appropriate for our communities and for the ICANN community as well.

So no hands up. No other questions or queries. Okay. Let's move on then. We may as well get on with the rest of our—we have, what? Six more minutes left.

The next item in our agenda—we're going to leave ICANN68 now and move on to the agenda—is we're talking about the—frog in my throat—At-Large Review implementation final report. Just to let you know that that's still plodding along. I have to mention that the activities that have been coming out of Eduardo's report that he has actually put together, which is a result of the ATLAS III survey results, as I mentioned before ... There's a lot of information that's coming out of that which we're incorporating into the plan to actually report on progress that is actually being made within At-Large, even during this last six months, as we've been building up to the final report. So I'm really pleased with the way that that is progressing. It won't be too long, hopefully, before everybody gets an opportunity to see how well we've all been working towards achieving what we needed to achieve for the At-Large Review implementation on what we told the Board that we will do.

But I think what has been even more heartening is the fact that there's been other improvements that people have just made because it makes things work more effectively and more efficiently. These are really good processes and procedures and things to be moving forward on. You've only got to listen to Joanna and Jonathan and Daniel to see that there's

a lot of exciting opportunities that are happening within At-Large at the moment.

Nothing from Heidi or Cheryl on that, just to give their updates? If not, we can move on.

Great. [Well done]. Good. Well, Heidi has probably got something to say on that election. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sure can.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, everyone. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ah, perfect. I wanted to let you know that the call for nominations of the 2020 ALAC and RALO election, selections, and appointments has started. NARALO started earlier, on the 9th of April, and everybody else started yesterday. We are seeing nominations come in, so that is fantastic. You'll see on the display that we do have a two-week or a ten-day nomination period. The deadline for nomination ends on the 15th of

May. Then those candidates need to accept their nominations. Sorry, the deadline for nominations is the 8th, and then the deadline for nomination acceptances is the 15th. Then, if the RALOs desire, they will have the calls with the candidates from the 18th to the 22nd, and then the election, if needed, will be the 22nd through the 29th. Now, again, ALAC did say that, if there's only one candidate, that candidate wins by acclamation. We'll be following that rule. All of the candidates—there's one exception within the LACRALO for their chair-elect—will take their seats at the end of ICANN69—the AGM at the end of the meeting.

I think that is it, Maureen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Heidi. Are there any questions or queries related to the selection/elections that are happening within the RALOs? I do note that there are nominations starting to come in already. That's excellent. The more, the merrier, of course. It's really great to see people interested enough to come along.

Wow. One more minute to go. We've done everything that we needed to get through, but I just wanted to say I am so impressed with the number of people who have joined us today. We've had ALAC meetings where we'd been struggling to get double digits. To have over 70 people like today has been a real tribute to the work that's actually been happening within At-Large despite the COVID situation. I am so proud of everybody. So thank you very much. I do hope that you have an excellent rest of the day for you all. Stay safe. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]