

---

BRENDA BREWER:

Good day, everyone and welcome to the SSR2 plenary call on the first of April, 2020 at 15:00 UTC. Attending the call today we have Boban, Eric, Danko, Russ, Norm, Laurin, and Denise. Apologies from Kaveh. Observer Dennis Tan. Attending from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Steve, and Brenda. A technical writer, Heather, is on the call.

Today's meeting is being recorded. I'd like to remind you to please state your name before speaking for the record and I'll turn the meeting over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Welcome. I hope everyone's safe and well and the same for your families. Let's take a look at the first link that is in the agenda, which is the analysis spreadsheet.

Basically, Heather has taken a huge amount of time and summarized all of the comments that we've received so far—280 of them—and tagged them to which recommendation they're related to. So, it's very clear we cannot go through these one by one as the whole review team and actually finish. So, as I said in e-mail, what we need to do is divide and conquer so that a subteam will be set up for each of the recommendations and then that subteam can handle the comments that are related to that recommendation. And then anything that seems like it needs discussion the subteam can bring it forward, otherwise they can just recommend changes and then we can review those changes. And if you have concerns with one of the changes then we can bring that forward to the whole team.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

So, that's the suggestion and to accommodate that, we have sign-up sheet which is Agenda Item #3. There's a link there. I see several people have already started to sign up based on my e-mail. Thank you very much. And there's still more people who need to sign up and we need to then have the subteams meet to start tackling the questions.

However, GAC is still planning to send us comments. They had asked for an extension until Saturday. So, my suggestion is that we don't start tackling these until after Saturday so that the ones from GAC can be put in and the table can remain sorted according to the recommendation they're related to. Otherwise, we'll have some at the end that are not in order. So that's my proposed plan and I'd love to hear feedback from the team regarding two things.

First is whether they can see an improvement to this plan and second, what do we do if no one signs up for a particular recommendation? Do we just assign people? So, what do people think?

I'm not seeing any hands so please just speak up.

KC CLAFFY:

Sorry, just joined. What's the question?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Do you like the plan? Is there a way we can improve it?

---

KC CLAFFY: The plan meaning everybody takes some of these, divide and conquer plan?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, the divide and conquer plan.

KC CLAFFY: I think it's reasonable.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Well, you put yourself in a lot of groups.

KC CLAFFY: Yeah, I meant to also add a note. Any group that I'm in by myself, I get to delete the recommendation.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Okay, not joining any groups KC's in [inaudible].

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I thought that would be the rule for the recommendations that didn't have anybody at all.

KC CLAFFY: That's true too.

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

I think this just makes sense. We can't do it differently, I think. And in the interest of editing in a good way, I would in addition say that the people in the groups should look at the new structure as well to essentially see which of the recommendations are linked. So, when they're looking at it, thinking about edits, they can use that to essentially see which are the ones that are topically related or which are the ones where there might be a level of duplication, [be this] in the findings, [or worse,] in the recommendations. Otherwise, I think it's the only option we have to get through the considerable amount of stuff we have, and particularly at these times where we cannot meet. And let's just get this done.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

That's a good point, that when you're making edits to the findings and recommendation text, that you think about the outline we discussed last week and creating text that will just be able to be transferred over without a whole lot of editing. And thank you Heather for the huge amount of work you've already done to put together that matrix.

HEATHER FLANAGAN:

Of course, I was happy to do it. I do have one question. So, we are, quite understandably, focused on the recommendations themselves. There have been comments come in about the document generally, such as suggestions for improvements around prioritization. There's also been comments on the findings in some areas or other things that aren't tied to a recommendation per se. How should those be handled?

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, those are a little harder to do the divide and conquer. I think we have a choice of dealing with those on the team calls, the plenary calls, or we could create a 30 second subgroup for “other.”

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I think I would just say if you had signed up for a recommendation, you signed up for the associated findings text.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Sure, I agree with that. I think that her point was the stuff that applies to all of them like prioritization, methodology, those parts.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Right.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Do we have a list of those, Heather? Like the kind of non-definables?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Yes, if you go to the public comment feedback spreadsheet and you just, for argument’s sake, go to the section tab and scroll all the way down to 281.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay. I love the fact that there are 281 to scroll through. [Inaudible].

---

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Yes. And we're not done yet.

RUSS HOUSLEY: [Inaudible]. And we're waiting for the GAC comments.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Right. So, there for example, you have a comment from ICANN Org that encourages us to clarify where the risk exists from the operational model, etc. For example, here are some of the areas where they saw that to be problematic. But that was some examples, it wasn't the whole ... I can't tag this to a particular recommendation.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yeah. Or we would have to at least tag it to the ones it mentions and then at least in general as well.

Okay. Yeah, I think the only way is to... This is my personal feel. We have so much to do. Might we want to tackle those ... Maybe if we tag those for the recommendations they're mentioning at least and then we can revisit later? That's what I would do for now because otherwise I think we'll just go crazy.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I wonder if some of these might ... If people in your subteams agree to at least look at them to see if they offer some systemic guidance that we could look at them at the end perhaps after the subteams have met. Some of these things will be naturally resolved.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: This is my hope.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, I think maybe we need to make an attempt to tag these to a group and then [there's some that it's] going to be hard, but like row 265 is not yet tagged, but I think that goes to the incentives recommendation.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Anyway. Maybe we can spend five minutes now if everyone looks at these and see if they think similarly one of these can be tagged.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: If that's how you'd like to do it, that's something I can easily do on my own. I don't think we need to spend group time categorizing.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. I mean, you're right some of these are just going to end up with "All," right? And then I think that just means everybody needs to look at them and see if they apply to this recommendation they're working on. Like the one you pointed to is pretty close to "All." Does that make sense?

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Makes sense. I have a logistical, organizational question. We have a document that is full of comments, edits, ec. So, now let's take anti-abuse, which I think is dominantly Denise, KC, and myself. How do we approach it? So, what I would probably do is that I would copy all the text related to that and take it out of the document so that we have the possibility to rewrite and to reorganize, and I assume that's what other subteams would do as well. However, I would like to confirm this with everyone so we know where things are going so we don't have the mess again that we had before Heather straightened us out.

I feel that working in this document as it is right now is close to impossible because, frankly, I have tried and there's just so much floating around that I don't want to delete or kill off these things. So, I think the only way we have is to essentially cull the sections and do them individually. What do other people think, though?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So, I think there's three things that the subteam needs to do. Let's be clear about that. First is answer the public comments related to that section, which means text changes and a sentence or two response to that public comment in the spreadsheet where it says ... column E, some text there about what the answer is from the team.

Second, we need to address the team comments that are in the Google Doc that we haven't gotten to as a team yet. And third, put it in the structure to fit the new outline. So those are the three things that need to be done.



---

So, Heather, how would you like to receive it? Would you like to see it pasted into the new document or receive it as a separate deliverable that you can paste?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I would prefer to receive it as a separate deliverable that I can deal with.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Thank you, Heather.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Does that help, Laurin?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Well, Heather essentially said yes to my preferred option so that's why I said thank you.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: So, I think he agrees.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, are there any questions with what the subteams will do? Okay, does anyone think that they can't have their names into the subteams

---

by Saturday? I'm picking Saturday as the day we expect to have the GAC comments, that way we can begin work that week in the subteams.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Sounds realistic.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, I will send a follow-up note to the one where I ask people to start filling this in, providing that deadline so that anyone who's not on the call today has that information.

Okay. So, when we were last together, we were going through the comments that are in the Google Doc from team members. We have just delegated those to the subteams. So, I don't think I want to continue that exercise when we have a much easier way forward. Are there any of those comments that any of you feel you'd like to discuss with the whole team? If so, we'll do that. Otherwise, we'll delegate them to the subteam associated with that recommendation.

DENISE MICHEL: Hi Russ. Has anyone read all the comments ...

RUSS HOUSLEY: I don't know. KC, that might've been an unfair question because you have so many of them.

---

KC CLAFFY: I haven't read them yet. This is the perfect time to make such a decision.

RUSS HOUSLEY: They're mostly your comments. No, not the ones from the public, the ones that you put in the draft.

KC CLAFFY: Oh, jeez, do I think any of them need to be discussed in plenary or can they be thrown into the ...

RUSS HOUSLEY: That's exactly my question. Yes.

KC CLAFFY: Yeah, they can be thrown into this framework, I think.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. And that was ...

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I think what we can do is simply that. For now, we throw them in because when we're done with this, I think there will be significant changes, right? To content and writing. Then, after that, we agreed to edit the structure along the lines that Heather and I worked out and I think at that point we have more or less a document that will not resemble the current one. And I think at that point we will all have to

---

read it again and there will be review team comments again at that point. So, essentially if you've raised something and the subteam does not sufficiently address that, I think there will be time to do that in the future when we have a freshly structured and edited report anyway.

RUSS HOUSLEY: That makes sense to me. So, I think, unless there's another person who wants to raise a concern with any one of the comments that they think plenary discussion is needed, I think that brings us to Agenda Item 5, which is any other business.

KC CLAFFY: Whoops.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Jennifer, which decisions and actions did you capture?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thanks Russ. So, I captured that the team agreed to the new approach to work that you presented on this call. And then, you, Russ, are going to send a note to the team with the ask for them to sign up to subgroups by the fourth of April, so that work can begin in subgroups beginning fifth of April. And I assume in that note will also be the steps, the three things, you want the subgroups to look at as well.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I can do that.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                    Yeah.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    I can summarize that again.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                    Yeah, I know. I just note that there's some people who are not on the call so that'd probably be helpful. But other than that, I didn't capture any other action items. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Okay. I think that's right. So, I think we're done. Thank you for all your support to the team and please sign up promptly for a subteam.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:                Thank you. Have a nice day.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                    Thanks everyone.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Thank you.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**

---