

---

KATRINA SATAKI:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. This is our special meeting. It's an extraordinary ccNSO call with councilors, working group chairs, and community members. Thank you very much for joining. Well, the main reason for this call—in case some of you haven't heard it yet—ICANN's board of directors decided to cancel the face-to-face meeting in Cancún.

Well, you'll know that our community overwhelmingly supported the meeting. Actually, we were almost 100% ready for it. Well, sorry for the meeting being canceled. I would like to thank our meeting program committee and Tech Working Group for all their work in setting up the agenda for both tech day and member's meeting.

Thanks to Giovanni and [Pierre] from the GAC for setting the agenda for our bilateral meeting with the GAC. And of course, thanks to all presenter session chairs who were ready to participate, and many thanks to .mx, our local ccTLD host for their willingness to welcome us all there. Yeah. And of course, thanks a lot to our secretariat for their hard work and never-ending support.

The board has also decided to hold the first ever virtual ICANN meeting/remote meeting, and now it looks like the community had two weeks to figure out what it means. Some people view it as an opportunity to change the way ICANN's meetings are normally held.

It might well be that, but personally, I think I don't dare to ask the volunteers to put everything aside now and completely rearrange everything under such pressure of time. I think if we ever change the way

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

we work it should be our decision that we seriously discuss, plan, and implement.

But anyway, today we have to discuss and decide how to proceed with everything that we had planned for Cancún. Please note that, currently, we have no information about the next face-to-face meeting; when, where, if it will take place. Actually, at this moment of time, I can't even say when the board might take a decision about the meeting in Kuala Lumpur, but as soon as we know it we will let everyone know so that you can plan your trips accordingly.

Before we move forward, there are a few things that we currently do know about the virtual aspect of the upcoming meeting. Well, first, community groups are encouraged to try to schedule their "must-have" sessions, and they are also invited to schedule them Monday-Thursday during Cancún hours as much as possible, just to respect weekends. So, no meetings on weekends. Monday-Thursday as much as possible.

It looks like there will be very few main or so-called "non-conflict" sessions. For example, public forums, Q&A with executives, and the board meeting. "Technical" means Zoom but it comes with some technical limitations. Apparently only eight Zoom rooms in parallel.

Tomorrow there's going to be another call with other communities to summarize everything that those communities have discussed. That's why I've also invited David Olive, who is the senior vice-president of policy development at ICANN. He oversees the work of policy support staff, including our secretariat, and always is very supportive of community work. That's in preparation for the upcoming call tomorrow.

---

Well, with that in mind, now, Kim, could you please switch to the document with all the sessions that we had planned for our meeting in Cancún? We have already reached out to working group chairs to garner some preliminary thoughts on how they would like to proceed.

The idea for today will be that we identify what definitely needs to be done. For example, ccNSO Council must elect a chair, vice-chairs, and also assign other roles that we have to assign during this first meeting of the year. Then, we can see which meetings and sessions have to be held regardless of ICANN67, for example, a PDP on the Retirement Working Group meeting, and then we can see which meetings and sessions we can have only in person, or at least we need some more planning for remote participation if there are no face-to-face meetings later this year, so we can defer those meetings or at least start thinking about organizing them differently.

So, here you see in front of you we have the meetings starting from Saturday all until Thursday. Here, you can see time in Cancún, time UTC, what that would mean if we go with Cancún time, and name of the session. And yeah, we already tried to have some initial thoughts on what to do. With that, I can shut up for a moment and see if anyone wants to say anything. Please raise your hand if there's ... Yep. Nick, please.

NICK WENBAN-SMITH: Hi, Katrina. Can you hear me okay?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes, loud and very, very clear.

---

NICK WENBAN-SMITH: Perfect, okay. I had understood that the remote participation is all to be held in Pacific Time. So, that's UTC+8. I was just thinking that probably should be a bit of a factor. Cancún time is interesting in terms of the sessions there but, in reality, we need to think a bit about, "Well, what is the effective window to hold our meetings?"

And the secondary point, really, is, would we look to avoid even the virtual meetings on the weekends, as well? Just my two initial points. And I know Jordon, I don't think, is on the call but he'd, I think, already said his preference was to go for just the absolutely essential things and to defer anything non-essential to the next face-to-face meeting.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yep. Thank you, Nick. That's exactly what Jordon said, that only those sessions that we really need, we need to have. Ajay. Ajay?

AJAY DATA: Thank you, Katrina. Obviously, it's a very evolving time we are in. My question was two-fold. Obviously, I've come from an Indian time zone and, obviously, it's a completely reverse time zone to attend the meeting [inaudible] at Cancún. So, it is right now almost 6 PM and in Cancún it is 7 AM, so it is going to be around 11 [hour events] for the entire night. If I have to attend all the events, all the calls, then probably I am awake for the whole night to attend all the events.

So, considering this, we will remotely do. Are we not flexible to organize them at the time ...? We can do a Doodle poll for every call and organize

---

it within the ccNSO Council, or we need to follow strictly the same time zone which was announced before in Cancún?

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yes. Thank you, Ajay, for your question. As we can see on your screen, so far we have identified one session that we definitely need to have. That's the ccNSO Council face-to-face meeting. My proposal would be that we follow the same done pattern that we usually have.

We normally change those time zones, ones we have at 12:00 UTC, and then we have it one at 6:00 UTC, I think, so this would be the one that has 12:00 UTC. Yeah, it's preferable to have them at Cancún time but it's definitely not a mandatory requirement. Ajay, please lower your hand unless you want to say anything else. Eberhard.

EBERHARD LISSE:

Thank you. The Sunday tech day face-to-face is obviously canceled. There is not even any argument about it. The Tech Working Group has discussed whether we should have it on Monday, our normal tech day, and we have basically all agreed that even though it might be interesting to see how to do a 100-member or 120-member meeting in three different time zones, or in several different time zones, it won't work.

Tech day lives from the face-to-face and it needs to be in one time zone. We propose that we cancel this and keep all the presentations in abeyance for future meetings, depending on the availability of the presenters.

---

And that leads me to another question, which we don't have to discuss now but which I wanted to raise early on. We had one particular presentation that I was extremely keen on hearing, Jeanette [Ebanias] from .po about DNSSEC. She would be available to come to Kuala Lumpur if there was funding for her.

That led me to think, would it be possible that we look at saved funding that we didn't spend in some other cases for deserving candidates to come to Kuala Lumpur? We don't have to discuss it or to debate it, I just wanted to raise the issue so that management and you guys can start thinking about it.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. Thank you very much. Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Thank you. Good morning, Katrina. I just want to reinforce Jordan's viewpoint on this. We really have to start cycling ccNSO Council meetings, and this type of meeting in particular, rotating every six hours like I do with the Retirement Working Group. It's well after one in the morning. You saw his e-mail. This is a problem going back to Debbie's time on the board. We need to be more respectful of those in Oceania and in Asia in general with regards to scheduling of these calls. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you, Stephen. Well, if we come back to that we had all those time zones the councilors distributed earlier. Yeah. With our distribution, it's

---

really difficult to find those times but this is not for this call. Thank you.  
Any other comments? Okay.

If we look at the sessions that we have in front of you, do you see any other [inaudible] council at the face-to-face—council call, definitely not going to be face-to-face—council meeting? Are there any other sessions that you see as essential, that’s something that we must have? Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Yeah. No. I don't know if you're into the "can you give me an update?" phase yet or not. If you're not I'll stand back, but I can give you an update.

KATRINA SATAKI: Sorry, come again? Update on what?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: On the Retirement Working Group.

KATRINA SATAKI: Update on the essence of the work or update when you're planning to meet/how you're planning to go forward?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Update on meeting.

KATRINA SATAKI: On the meeting? Yes, please.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: I believe—and Bart can correct me on this because we had a discussion about this but I'm a tag jetlagged, just having stepped up from Australia—we're good to go in terms of both continuing the work of Sub-Working Group 1 and getting the administrative portion of Sub-Working Group 2 underway. I don't see that this is going to be a big issue for us with regards to not having a face-to-face, three-hour meeting in Cancún. Thank you. Bart, you can correct me.

BART BOSWINKEL: The Retirement Working Group will continue in its regular schedule, so starting [SO]. The next meeting will be the 4<sup>th</sup> of March, so independent of the ICANN meeting, fortunately, and the kick-off session for the review mechanism will be post-ICANN67 because we just invited the participants, as well, and they need to be able to attend the first meeting. It's independent of ICANN67. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes, thank you. Stephen, is this a new hand, old hand? Stephen, is this an old hand? If it's an old hand, please lower it. If it's a new one, please, the floor is yours.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: It's an old hand, I'm just dazed and confused. Let me just [pitch it up].



---

KATRINA SATAKI: Okay. Thank you. [inaudible]?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Yeah. Hello, Katrina. About the TLD Ops session on Sunday, I think we will cancel it and move it to the next face-to-face because we have planned to make an update in one part of the meeting and the second part would be dedicated to work with the group on the action plan, so we have to make it in face-to-face. And we were going to work with the group via remote as in the meetings we have every month, so I think we can move and close the session on Sunday and move it to the next face-to-face.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes. Thank you very much. Noted. Thank you, please. Yep. Okay. What do you think about bilateral meetings? For example, we have a Sunday meeting with ALAC, a Monday GNSO. For ALAC, we had already an agenda. The ccNSO was about to present all our different working groups and committees, so how we structure our work, and ALAC would present their sub-committees. Well, anyway, it's Sunday and I'm not going to move forward with Sunday. I think we could defer that to either webinars or the next bilateral face-to-face meeting.

On Monday, ccNSO/GNSO, we do not have an agenda for that. We did not agree with the GNSO yet. I would say, also, there's no need for a remote meeting so I think we could cancel it, too, we suggest.

CcnSO and GAC on Tuesday, again, the suggestion is to cancel it. We do have an agenda for that and, again, thanks to Giovanni and [Pierre] for working on it. Yeah. The idea was to present different approaches that

---

ccTLD have. They try to address DNS abuse. Yeah. Again, I think it's something that we could defer to the next face-to-face meeting.

Oh, yeah. And we have, on Tuesday, another one with the board, ccNSO. I don't know about that. We received a question from the board about topics, what we would like to discuss. We did not identify any, so maybe we could think about canceling that, too.

Any other thoughts on those bilateral meetings? Do you think we need to move forward with any of them? Yeah. I see some exchange in the chat window. Nick asked about Pacific Time. I don't know if Cancún is Pacific Time but, as I mentioned earlier, the request was to schedule those remote meetings Monday-Thursday during Cancún hours as much as possible.

I have no idea if Cancún is Pacific Time or not but this is something that was a request that came from ICANN. I don't know if David wants to say something or comment on that. David, any moment you want to say anything, please let us know. If not, let's move forward. Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

I think we do need to have a discussion with the board. I don't think we can let that one slide. Just my thoughts on that. We can set that up as a Zoom call, obviously. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah, but as I said, we have asked several times and we do not have any topics to discuss. I think we shouldn't just think about, "Oh, well, it's the

---

board. We need to meet with them.” Is there anything we want to discuss with them? That’s the question.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: I have a couple of items which I’ll relay to you post-meeting.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, okay. Thank you. Please lower your hand. Alejandra?

ALEJANDRA REYNOSO: Hi. Good morning, everyone. I was thinking that maybe we could ask the ALAC, GAC, and GNSO if they wanted to move forward with our bilateral sessions, and we can express our sentiment, as in we feel that we can defer them but maybe they still want to meet us so we could ask them.

KATRINA SATAKI: Okay. Sure, we can ask them. Well, still, we need to express our preference. Our preference would be to cancel. Actually, if I understand it correctly from Keith on the call—was it on Friday?—they also are looking at canceling bilateral. But okay, yes I can reach out and say that we are willing to cancel and ask for their opinion.

Okay. Here, you see what other ... Would anyone else like to comment on these ones? Okay. If not, yeah, let’s go a little bit down. That’s members’ meeting sessions. You can see them here—Barbara, our chair—meeting program committee. Anything you would like to say regarding this agenda? Barbara.

BARBARA ROSEMAN: Hi. Can you hear me?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes.

BARBARA ROSEMAN: Okay. Well, we haven't discussed this and the embassy meeting is scheduled on Wednesday. I think most of the sessions have no sense-making, not face-to-face. Most of the sessions we propose to move forward to the next face-to-face meeting.

There was a suggestion that the DNS abuse session could take part but I don't think it was planned as a meeting with a lot of participation and involvement. I think it would be a pity to have it. That's all I can say about these meetings.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. Thank you. Do you agree with those notes? We tried to fill them in.

BARBARA ROSEMAN: Yes.

KATRINA SATAKI: We can ask for some written updates if there is anything to report.

---

BARBARA ROSEMAN: Yeah, yeah.

KATRINA SATAKI: Okay.

BARBARA ROSEMAN: Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you, Barbara. Any other comments, questions? No? Then let me summarize what I have so far.

BART BOSWINKEL: Katrina, this is Bart.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes.

BART BOSWINKEL: I can't put my hand up.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes. Please, Bart. Sure.

---

BART BOSWINKEL:

The only thing is, say, to avoid confusion about the timing, not just for the ccNSO meetings, if any, but probably in general, if people want to attend the virtual meeting we'll circulate the stated timing once it is completely settled and we'll circulate it to all the mailing lists, as well, and we'll publish it on the website so there is no unclarity about the timing itself. But we don't want to speculate. We'll wait until that has been completely settled. Be aware, it's forthcoming but we don't know it yet. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yes, thank you. Okay. Then, I will just summarize what I have so far. Yep. Please, feel free to jump in. It looks to me that most of the working groups are going back to their regular calls in Zoom. At least, at the moment, I did not see anyone willing to have their call at that particular slot that was allocated to them in the agenda.

Then, we have a suggestion that will be posed to the travel funding committee to come up with ideas of how to make sure that those travelers who got their travel support for Cancún—especially when they were going to present something—how can they get this funding for next meetings to make sure that their presentations are delivered? I saw BC, for example, are still discussing that internally.

I will reach out to ALAC, GNSO, and GAC regarding our bilaterals. Well, it looks like at least Stephen believes that we need to have a discussion with the board, and he will come up with some topics.

Then, we have the council call. We need to have a council call, and so we will go with the usual rotation. The next one is at 12:00 UTC, probably on

---

Thursday. We usually have it on Thursdays. I think that's all that I had written down. I see Stephen has his hand up. Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: It would help if I unmuted. I note that in the document before us, the joint session with ccNSO and the board is marked as canceled. I would like that corrected because I think we probably should meet with the board, so if that can get tweaked that would be great. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Well, if I remember correctly, when we had a breakout session with the community the meetings with the board were of very low interest. But yeah, these, currently, we can have it marked as "we need topics," and if you come up with topics that really can't wait, this is something that we could send to the council and see what councilors think.

But again, this is board and ccNSO, not only the council. We need to see, also, some interest from the community to participate in that call. Stephen, anything else or that's an old hand?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Old hand, thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. Thank you. Okay. Regarding all other notes that we have here, any other comments? No? Any questions? No? Nothing? As I already mentioned earlier, tomorrow there's going to be another call with other

---

SO/ACs to see how to proceed forward with our first virtual meeting ever. Anything you'd like me to convey to other SO/ACs, except for what we discussed here? Ajay?

AJAY DATA:

Thank you, Katrina. It looks like, to me, considering that [obedience] for this we are into this new mode of ICANN meeting, it may not be a great idea to consider that we may have the Kuala Lumpur meeting as normal. It may be very much possible that we will end up in a remote meeting, even in Kuala Lumpur, so we need to, probably, push to have that decision as soon as possible so that we can plan, three months down the line, where we are and which direction we are moving, because a lot of people wasted their money and a lot of time and planning has gone in, too. We may like to just get that decision on how soon we can get some clarity about Kuala Lumpur, would be [inaudible]. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you, Ajay. As I said, it's still not clear when the board will take that decision. As soon as we know anything, we will share with the community. Yes, currently there is a big push from the community to have this clarity as soon as possible but, well, currently there is none. Ajay, please lower your hand. Stephen.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

Thank you, Katrina. Empowered Community Administration update for the benefit of those on the call: I have been in consultation with the board. There is no fiddling going on with regards to fundamental bylaws,



---

which means we don't see a need for an Approval Action Community Forum any time soon, so ECA will remain fairly quiet.

We will have a couple of Rejection Action Petition Periods coming up with regards to the operating plan and the budget for ICANN overall. Do not expect any activity in that front. With regards to the upcoming meeting, ECA is quiet and that probably will be the case right up into June. Hopefully, we will see each other in KL. That's it from the ECA.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes, thank you. This call is not for updates. It's really just to decide what we need to do and when.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Well, we're trying to decide whether or not ECA needs to do anything, which is why I brought it up. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah. Thank you. Okay. Any other comments on this? No? Okay. We'll try to summarize what we have here and share with the community and those who are not on the call as soon as possible. Yeah. With that, I think there's no need to continue with this call. Thank you, again, very much for joining. If you have any further thoughts, please do not hesitate to share them with me or with the community. We'll try to address all your comments, all your suggestions, and all your concerns in a timely manner. Thank you very much, and with that we'll keep you posted. Thank you. Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**