
KIM CARLSON: Thank you. Welcome to today's NCAP Discussion Group call on February 12 at 20:00 UTC.

In the interest of time, there will be no roll call. Attendance will be taken based on those on Zoom. Staff will update the wiki with the names of the participants as quickly as possible. We have apologies from Ram and Jeff Neuman. All calls are recorded and transcribed, and the recordings' transcripts will be published on the public wiki.

As a reminder, to avoid background noise, while others are speaking, please mute your phones and microphones. With that, I'll turn the call over to you, Jim. Thank you.

JAMES GALVIN: Thanks very much, Kim. I appreciate it. Welcome, everyone, to our NCAP meeting here. Welcome to Patrik, a co-Chair with me here, is also on the call. I just want to acknowledge that as we go along here.

We have our agenda up in front of us. Let's start with updates to SOIs. Has anybody updated their Statement of Interest that they should mention it here before we get started? I'm not seeing any hand, so we'll just move right along here.

We have one new member, Jeff Schmidt, who I'm sure those of you who have been involved in this work up to date will surely recall Jeff Schmidt. You know who he is but, Jeff, I'll just give you a minute to say hello and just acknowledge you're here and say welcome.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

JEFF SCHMIDT: Hi, Jim. Hi, team. Great to be here. Happy to help. I'm looking forward to contributing in any way that I can.

JAMES GALVIN: Thank you very much for that. We're glad to have you, especially since you've got some pretty essential resources that are part of our Study 1 here and work that's been done before. So, good to have you helping us out and contributing to all this future work.

Okay, we really only have two items on our agenda today. You will have seen that Matt Larson distributed an updated version of the draft report, and this is the one that will be released for public comment. The intent is to release that tomorrow. The usual standard ICANN process is a 45-day public comment period, and then the public comment report is produced. Staff will collect all of those comments together and they have a standard format for report. For those who might not have been tracking that kind of [feature] too carefully, if you haven't really been involved in policy projects in ICANN then you haven't seen too much of this before. Once they do that then we will have our opportunity to review those comments and consider what action to take or not to take with respect to them, and to then proceed to make recommendations to update the document or not accordingly in response to those comments. So that's the general process that will happen. The public comment period will close obviously at some point after ICANN ... Actually, I think it closes maybe during the ICANN meeting but they probably pushed the date around a bit because of the ICANN meeting. I

don't know, Matt, if you – I mean, it doesn't matter at the moment. People will see it when it happens, but that's approximately the right timeframe.

In any case, this is our last chance if folks want to comment, any last comments or concerns about the draft report. There was one note on the mailing list from Rubens I think it was. I assume, Karen, will you be able to take that comment on board? Did you notice that? Maybe you could comment on that, Karen.

KAREN SCARFONE: Yes. We'll be addressing that.

JAMES GALVIN: Okay. Thank you.

JEFF SCHMIDT: I apologize. I think the comment or at least my comment was maybe an answer to Rubens's comment. But I'm not sure whether we were talking about the same thing, so I would check with Rubens to make sure if I answered what he was asking or whether we're talking about different things. Thank you.

JAMES GALVIN: Thanks for that. I actually had not caught up to – oh, I know why, because your thing didn't thread in my e-mail thing. Now I see your response, Jeff. In any case, Karen, it's true that we probably want to

take note of whether that answer is to Rubens's thing but does all of this make sense to you, Karen? Do you have any questions about Jeff's response to Rubens? Or how would you suggest dealing with this?

KAREN SCARFONE: I don't have any questions about Jeff's response. I think that Matt Larson had already sent a follow-up to Rubens to ask for clarification.

JAMES GALVIN: Yes. Okay. I think that we obviously don't want to delay releasing this. I see here – actually, I thought the release was going to be tomorrow, but I realized that the release of the public comments is going to be the 16th. So hopefully if Rubens gets back to us and if it's a material response then you'll have the opportunity to pull that in. And if not, I think it's okay at this point. I mean, it is just a public comment period. We just need to not lose track of this particular comment and make sure that it's part of the public comment report that comes at the end so that you can make sure to address it in the final work product.

Matt, you have your hand up. Go ahead, please.

MATT LARSON: Yeah, no, we do intend to open it tomorrow.

JAMES GALVIN: Okay, all right. Well, then what I said still applies. It's just that a few days sooner. So we won't lose track of the comment even if it can't get

folded in to this time. Whatever Karen does is fine and if Rubens clarifies this into being something that it needs attention, it'll just have to wait until after the comment period.

ROD RASMUSSEN: Jim?

JAMES GALVIN: Rod, go ahead, please. Rod, if you're speaking, we're not hearing you. Rod, we're still not hearing you.

BARRY LEIBA: It might have been that Rod couldn't hear Jim. Rod, are you there? Nah, I think we lost Rod.

JAMES GALVIN: Okay. Well, we'll come back to Rod when he comes back and speaks up or raises his hand. So that'll be fine.

With all of that, we touched into what the next steps are going to be here a little bit there, but let me just come back. Any other comments or questions or concerns that people want to raise about the existing draft? Otherwise, it's going to public comment. I'm not seeing any hands. Okay, let's move in to our next steps here. What are we doing in this group going forward?

One of the things that I have to acknowledge, I kind of had not grasped precisely how this was going to work before. I got this wrong. I've been

saying up to this point that part of this Study 1 in the large, part of this whole work task was to provide some input to the Board on the question of whether or not to fund and continue to fund the research parts, to fund the analysis parts of Study 2 and Study 3 that need to be taken care of, that we would want to find a contractor to execute on. And I've been commenting here that the work product that Karen had been producing doesn't have that in it and that it would be our job to propose something to put in there. What I've come to understand is that actually, the way the work items were laid out for Karen. Those are actually two separate documents. So this study report can go out without that particular item in it at the moment because the idea was to produce a smaller, separate individual document with recommendations about how to proceed and what to proceed with, with respect to Study 2 and Study 3. So this public comment period is only for the research part of cataloguing everything that we know and we still have time to discuss and prepare some advice that we would like to see included in that. And you might recall from our last meeting that we had at least identified two things that there would be some questions that we would like to ask of resolver data, and there were in this Board questions spreadsheet that we've been using to capture notes some other things were identified that might be considered some gaps that need to be addressed and would need some attention. So those are work items we have an opportunity here now.

If you look down the notes that we took the last time which is in column F, we need to think about how to capture that column F out of that spreadsheet and turn that into something that can be put in to this separate document that would then also go through its own public

comment period, and then ultimately provided to the Board for its consideration about what it wants to help and provide some support for with respect to Study 2 and Study 3.

The plan going forward, here is the proposal on the table since we're actually not prepared for today to provide a draft document for us to consider and work through here. That is that the work product that Karen has produced will go forward now on its public comment period. What we will do between now and Cancún, we will make in Cancún our first principal agenda item a discussion of exactly the content and substance of that document. Ideally, I'd like to hope that our co-Chairs here that we will try to provide some structure, maybe some draft text for us to work with and begin our discussion, but that will be the first agenda item that we will have for our face-to-face meeting in Cancún on March 5, I believe, if I've got the date right. Anyway, that Friday. Actually, it's March 6. That will be our first agenda item.

Then the second agenda item, if we get through that and we have time, will be to actually begin doing our analysis that we can do with respect to Study 2. The important thing to keep in mind here is whether or not we get to actually do any real data analysis and ask any questions of actual data so that we can have some additional facts to consider as part of our work, we are still obligated to respond to the Board questions. So we have to do whatever analysis and discussions that we need to do based on what we've got available to us and respond quite directly to those Board questions. So we will begin that process on that Friday, regardless. The idea is we can continue that process in parallel with while we're waiting for the opportunity to get additional data that we will then fold in to our discussions as we go along. I don't want this

group to suddenly go on hold while we're waiting for the public comment periods to close and new analysis to happen. We certainly have a lot of data to work with and Karen has collected a lot of documentation for us to review. We should work that process and we should move forward as best we can with what we have while we wait to get the additional data that we're looking for.

Again, just in quick summary and then looking for people to comment, any advice that you might have. First action here in Cancún, our agenda will be to propose the substance of this other work product here in Study 1, which is the recommendations to the Board, some advice to the Board with respect to what we need, what gaps that exist that we need filled with respect to conducting Study 1 and Study 2. And then we will begin the process of doing what analysis we can with the data that we have in order to answer the Board's 10 questions.

So let me pause there for a moment and see if we have any questions, comments, anybody wants to add anything. I'm not seeing any hands. Okay. So let me talk a little more about the analysis part and what we're going to do.

The suggestion for the proposal here or how to do the analysis part is we do have these 10 questions from the Board in this spreadsheet. What I'd like to do is I can see that – yes, the display has got us all the way up here in the upper left-hand corner, which is right – there's a lot of material here. There's a lot of material in what Karen has put together for us and there's certainly are nine questions. Some of them really do fit nicely together, so there might not really be nine questions

because as we've discovered in some of our discussions, some of them are closely related and they probably would be dealt with together.

What we'd like to do is to not meet between now and the Cancún meeting. The goal here is to give everyone the opportunity to do some homework, and your homework is to review all of the research material that we're aware of and come ready and prepared to dig in to these questions and how to answer them, to actually begin the process of coming up with answers when we're sitting there in Cancún. However, we realized that there's a lot of material there and these nine questions are not necessarily all directly related. It's a pretty broad and open-ended topic area. Maybe individuals would prefer to focus on one or two things themselves, rather than everything. So what we were hoping and what we would like from members of the discussion group is if people would volunteer to focus on a particular question or two, and then your responsibility would be to go through the work product one and the documentation that's there and find the things which are especially relevant to that particular question, then if you would be able to take the lead on discussion, perhaps give us a summary of what's in that documentation to sort of get the discussion going, and if you would also take some responsibility for taking the lead in that discussion during our Cancún meeting. We're very much hoping that people would like today to volunteer and put their name down on somebody's questions. We all had an opportunity to hear them a few times over since we have covered them multiple times here. If anybody would like to particularly jump in to be the lead for those questions, I've inserted a column here next to the questions in the spreadsheet and I'd like to put people's names down. Or if you want to take some time, we'll certainly

be pressing on the mailing list for people to jump in and volunteer themselves to take some responsibility for some of these questions. I don't really want to call on people. I guess I'm hoping that somebody will raise their hand and indicate that they'd be interested in a particular question. But that's really –

PATRIK FALTSTROM:

This is Patrik. I have no ability to raise my hand, my apologies. So I just jumped in here. It is perfectly all right if it is the case that we have multiple people for the same questions as well. We just want to give the ability for people to, as Jim said, focus on what you're interested in, what you have some knowledge about, what you have been looking on what kind of sources, whatever. We want to give the ability for people to focus on specifics and then present to each other. The first round, we wanted people to sign up themselves, and then we'll see where we have the leftovers. Thank you.

JAMES GALVIN:

Yes. Well said. Thank you very much for that. I'm not seeing any hands go up. I'm not seeing any quick volunteers. That's disappointing. Oh, there's Matt. Matt Thomas is volunteering for Question 3. Thank you, Matt. I'm going to put your name up here. As Patrik said, if anyone else wants to volunteer for the same thing, they can. Barry, you have your hand up. Go ahead, please.

BARRY LEIBA: Got to lower the hand and press the mute button and they're not close to each other. I'll go with Question 7.

JAMES GALVIN: Okay. Thank you very much, Barry. I appreciate it.

BARRY LEIBA: I would certainly ... L-E-I.

JAMES GALVIN: Yeah, I just realized that too. I'm sorry.

BARRY LEIBA: [Inaudible] after Leiba. I would appreciate if somebody else wanted to join me in that.

JAMES GALVIN: Yes, please. That would be great. More than one person is certainly ideal. That would be good. Warren, please. Go ahead.

WARREN KUMARI: I have a bunch of upcoming travels, so I'm trying not to sign up for too much but I can definitely try and do some stuff on Question 2, although I would really appreciate if anybody else wants to help with that.

JAMES GALVIN: Thank you very much, Warren. I appreciate that. Jeff, you have your hand up. Go ahead, please.

JEFF SCHMIDT: I'm trying to figure out how to unmute and raise my hand. I'd like to join the #3 team as well.

JAMES GALVIN: Excellent, excellent. Okay. I appreciate that a lot. Okay, thanks, Jeff. Anyone else? Warren, your hand's back up. Go ahead, please.

WARREN KUMARI: I can try and do a little with Question 3 as well. But again, I'm not promising wildly awesome stuff. Then again, I usually shouldn't promise wildly awesome stuff because I don't deliver, but even less so than normal.

JAMES GALVIN: No, that's fine. I appreciate it. The more people that we can get looking at any individual thing, that's a good thing. People can use the mailing list, obviously, to coordinate. Again, as we go through and look through what Karen has already catalogued for us, you might send notes to the list. In fact, everyone should be able to edit the spreadsheet, I think. You'll notice there's a column F over here for reference in the draft report. It would probably be helpful if you would take note and put the section numbers down or put an indicator for each of the things that you're pulling out for your particular question. If you scroll over to F –

yes. So she's got it over there so people could see column F in the display. You can indicate and make a list of those things there so that other folks can see what you've got. Also, in general, use the mailing list for anybody who's going to do more than one thing to coordinate and add any comments about stuff. We'll try to collect all of that and use that as the basis for our discussion. We'll certainly go forward with whoever is most prepared when we get to Cancún. We don't have to do these in order. We'll go with whoever is ready to go. Justine, your hand is up. Please go ahead.

JUSTINE CHEW:

Thank you. I had a question, which was, I wonder if some of these questions are actually interrelated. In terms of like the analysis that we're going to do, is it dependent on the analysis? And one question is, is the answer going to be dependent on the analysis of another question?

JAMES GALVIN:

You're right, Justine. In fact, we have observed in our discussions already that some of these questions really do go together, and so we'll have to think about them together when we come to writing any results. For example, right away Questions 4 and 5 clearly are related questions, and we'll probably have to consider them together. Maybe we can consider them one after another. I believe it's Questions 7 and 8 clearly come together also. So I know that Barry signed up for 7, but I'm sure that whatever he'd learned as part of 7 and anyone else who does

that will also help us as we review Question 8 also. Folks should keep that in mind as you go through and do some of these.

Yes, Justine, I see in the chat that you said ... yeah. We'll be factoring how to manage the interrelationships as we go along. We're aware of some of them now and as they come up as we're doing it, that's what we'll do.

Matt Thomas is saying he's happy to help Barry in #7. Thank you for that, Matt. That's perfect. I appreciate that.

Warren, you have your hand up again. Go ahead, please.

WARREN KUMARI: Just saying that I know I'm sure many people are dying to help me with Question 2 because it's a fun and interesting one. Go on, folks. I know you want to.

JAMES GALVIN: Always looking for more volunteers. Okay.

JEFF SCHMIDT: Just because it's Warren, I'll jump in on 2 as well.

WARREN KUMARI: Yay. Thank you.

JAMES GALVIN:

There you go.

WARREN KUMARI:

And Barry also. Barry also said he wanted to.

BARRY LEIBA:

I have to get up pretty early in the morning to [fool Jim].

JAMES GALVIN:

Okay, all right. Excellent. Thank you very much, folks. There are still some questions that don't have folks on here yet. The business of mitigation – actually, maybe I'll observe. I almost hate to say this but Study 3 is really the mitigation study, so it's possible that we could actually not dig in to those right away. So Question 4 and Question 5 might be reasonable to hold in abeyance for a short while if we can get into the rest of them.

Excuse me for a moment, I'm going to sneeze. Okay, thank you. Greg, you have your hand up. Go ahead, please.

GREG SHATAN:

Thanks. First, gesundheit or God bless you, whatever your tradition may be. Second, I would like to volunteer for Question 8 since that seems unclaimed, and of course I would welcome company.

JAMES GALVIN: That's excellent, Greg. I appreciate it very much. Certainly, if anyone else wants to jump in there, we would appreciate that too.

GREG SHATAN: Like the Red Cross, I go where the need is greatest.

JAMES GALVIN: I love it. That's good. Okay. I feel a little bit repetitive here, but any other volunteers for a question here? This is exciting. I appreciate folks jumping in here and being willing to take a heads up on some of these issues and being committed to engaging in discussion we get to Cancún. Please, as you go along here, feel free to send any notes or comments in the mailing list, anything to help other people in prepping for some of these. We have quite a catalogue of research activity, so if there's papers that you want to emphasize or even discount, I suppose, if you want to suggest that a given reference was interesting but didn't have anything too substantive in it, feel free to provide some of that advice as we go along. So that as everyone is trying to prepare for this meeting, we can try to manage the level of effort that we're all committed to because there is a lot of material there.

Okay, one last call for volunteers. Kim, otherwise, may we go back to the agenda, please?

I see Justine wants to put her name up for #7. Excellent, Justine. I'm going to add your name here. Certainly folks can feel free to continue to join groups. We'll try to make a point of keeping this on the mailing list

and keeping it going so that folks can volunteer and jump in. That would be a good thing as we go along here.

Okay, so that's our next steps. People should be clear now on what our agenda is for Cancún. You can see under item #7 there that we are meeting all day on Friday. We actually have four meeting slots. Each is 90 minutes long. There's a lunch break and there's two half-hour breaks between the morning and afternoon. We will simply start promptly at 9:00 AM local time, and we will work through until we are done with whatever material we have to discuss. If that takes us all the way to 5:30, that's awesome. If it doesn't take us to 5:30, well, we should be careful about that because that will affect our ability to have future face-to-face meetings. If we can't fill the time, there's always the question of whether or not we really should be having those meetings. So it's important to keep that in mind.

In addition, I want to call out to people that there will be a public session. Matt Larson, as the OCTO person who is the project sponsor here, will be a principal in giving the presentation for an hour on Wednesday afternoon from 5:00 to 6:00 PM local time. We'd certainly appreciate if as many of us from the discussion group could be available and be there present in the room to answer any questions or contribute any discussion that might come of that. Matt will be giving an update to the community on Study 1 and about the project in general. I'm sure it would be helpful if quite a few of us, if not all of us, could be there and present. If you're not physically present, certainly participate remotely and be there. That would be good.

Other than that, between now and Cancún, we actually will not meet this discussion group on these Wednesdays, between now and Cancún. So our next meeting will be that Friday, March 6, in Cancún. This will give people plenty of time to focus on doing your homework and getting prepared to have a high value productive meeting when we get to March 6.

Rod, you have your hand up. Go ahead, please.

ROD RASMUSSEN:

Yeah. Jim, I have a helpful suggestion for those in the group who had volunteered and had partners in crime on doing those. If you have this already blocked out in your calendar, that might be a good time to schedule a call with your fellow travelers on those particular questions to compare notes.

JAMES GALVIN:

You know, I like that. You're right, Rod. We do have this meeting slot. We won't have the meetings here but if you would like to have an opportunity for your groups to get together, let's just make a note on the mailing list, ask on the mailing list. That way, it's public. I mean, I don't really necessarily want to hide things from our community at large because people in general are allowed to listen in and we do have observers, and we actually do have one out there today, even. But we're happy to give you this time slot if you would like for your group, if you want to have a productive meeting. I think that would be excellent. Just make the request in the mailing list and we'll try to keep an eye out for that and we'll make that happen.

Greg is volunteering to have a meeting and talk to himself since he's the only one who signed up for the ones that he had. Greg, we should probably have a chat about whether that's a good thing or not. But thank you, Rod. Good idea, good suggestion.

Okay. So that's the little bit of administrative stuff. Last thing is Any Other Business. I'm not seeing any hands. No one is jumping in. With that then I will say thank you to everyone. I very much appreciate your time, I especially appreciate volunteers. I'm very happy to see that we do have an engaged group and people are ready to move forward. I'm looking forward to a very engaging and productive meeting in Cancún. So, thanks again. We're adjourned.

KIM CARLSON: Thank you all.

ROY ARENDS: Thanks, everybody.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]