

---

KATRINA SATAKI:                   Yep. So hello. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening. This is a draft. Sorry. This is a ccNSO Council meeting, 14 February 2020, and just for the record, today is Stephen's birthday. So Stephen, happy birthday to you and it's also Valentine's Day so Happy Valentine's Day to everyone.

We have received several apologies from Margarita, Byron, Jordan, Demi, Abdalla, maybe someone else. But yeah, currently, that's the list. In any case, today as it was announced before on the previous call, we do not take any decisions. This is really purely informational.

Speaking about minutes, I think we haven't distributed the meeting minutes from the previous Council call. Have we? I think I haven't reviewed them.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:           Yeah, not yet. You're [inaudible] them to review.

KATRINA SATAKI:                   Yeah, so it hasn't been done yet. So I was [away] and couldn't review the minutes. So this is something to add to the action list.

Action items and to-dos, yeah, we're still working on this instructions for Chairs of our working groups and committees regarding charters so this is still pending. Then others are, some are completed. Some we still need to discuss what we're going to talk about with other groups in Cancun. We have a set agenda for our meeting with ALAC, but

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

discussions, well, agenda for discussion, GNSO and the Board are still to be addressed.

Next, what else do we have there? Please scroll down. Yeah, inter-meeting decisions. Yeah, we had this resolution to confirm timeline with the Board nomination process and we also appointed additional members to the MPC, Meeting Program Committee. Yeah, and we still need to... Well, this is something that's going on. We need to appoint members to the ccPDP3 and [inaudible].

Then I hope you all had time to look at the nomination report. Well, I think there is everything described in the tiniest detail. So this is a resolution. We're not going to vote on it now but this is something we will have to review and we will have one week to do it and either suggest corrections or just about the report.

Those of you who already had time to see and discuss or think about the report, are there any questions? Anything you'd like to ask to the nomination manager? Maybe you see something missing. Of course, I'm asking everything is really covered in [inaudible] detail. Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

Thank you, Katrina. I think it's a really very solid piece of work and I commend [Yoko] for her due diligence in creating it. It certainly exposes some issues that I think the ECA should go back and take a look at in conjunction with Council, but it's something for our face-to-face when we can have some time to discuss it. Thank you.

---

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you. Any other comments or questions? No. Then thank you and let's move forward then. So this will be sent to you separately, the Council mailing list and right after the call so we will have time again to look at it again, and as I said, either comment or just adopt it. Okay, thank you, and yeah, as soon as we adopt it, I will send information, official information, to the list members and to the Board community administration because at the end of the day, as you remember, the ECA has to move forward with the appointment.

Okay, and next agenda item, yeah, that's another resolution. Again, we're not voting now. But yeah, what it does, it explains, well actually, provides information on the results and thanks all involved. Yeah, and actually orders the Council to move forward with the nominations. ccPDP3, Part 1 on retirement, update. Stephen, is there anything you'd like to share with the Council? Yes, please. Go on.

STEPHEN DEERHAKE:

I'm challenged on muting today. We're coming along. We got pretty much the [checks] locked down. Our plan, ideally, is to be in a position to circulate the draft of Part 1 probably without the glossary, but we're having a call on Thursday so hopefully I can sort that out between now and then. Part 2, I see we have a draft resolution with a [lot of] healthy, stable volunteers which I'm pleased about. I have been in discussion with Patricio and he would like to continue and he's not listed in this resolution, so if possible, I would like to have his name added to that and I will get him to submit a formal application in the event that he had not and nudge him to do the Statement of Interest thing for ICANN. If

---

there is no objection from Council, I would like to proceed down that path with him. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, thank you very much, Stephen. Any concerns from the Council?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: He, himself, had a concern because he's elevating to the Board, as you know, and he was wondering if it was appropriate and I assured him that it was given that we had Board members on FOI and I currently have two Board members on the Working Group at the moment, so he seems comfortable with that.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yep, okay. Thank you. Yeah, that's the next one. Speaking about the review mechanism, we have to... Yeah, we have, really, a solid list of volunteers. I see Bart had...

BART BOSWINKEL: Yeah, I can't put my hand up.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, I thought so. Please go on.

BART BOSWINKEL: Just for your information, this list only concerns the volunteers from the ccTLD community. According to the charter, GAC, ALAC, GNSO,

---

members from SSAC also need to be invited as participants and ICANN staff including and PTI staff as well. They will be invited separately on behalf of the Council because it's the role of the Council to invite them as such. And for those of you who are interested, we did, I think, a very good webinar to introduce this topic to the ccTLD community and we're going to repeat one next Wednesday to the GAC to see whether they are more interested. Thanks, Katrina.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah. Thank you very much, Bart. Yes, this is something going to do for the first time, a webinar to GAC to address specific future work. Yeah, as I said, a very solid list of volunteers. I was very happy to see many new faces, many people interested in the work, not only on this one but also on ccPDP4. I hope that we will have good volunteers to do that PDP too.

Talking about the next agenda item which is item number six, started talking about that, ccPDP4. We already have the group that we appointed on the Council call in January. We have, this group received a draft issue report. Hiro has already commented. Thank you very much, Hiro, for your comments. They have not been incorporated in the draft yet. Others are also asked to read the draft issue report because we have to finalize it and then send to ICANN Legal for their comments.

Next one, preparation for Cancun meeting. Yeah, Bart.

BART BOSWINKEL:

Just to be precise in this one, and I know it may sound pedantic, but ICANN Council Legal has to give its opinion whether the topics are in

---

scope or [Annex C] of the ICANN bylaws and whether it has lasting value. That's what, they're not in, say, a position to review the scope, etc. of the issues themselves because it's determined by the ccNSO itself. So there have to, and there is a specific passage in [Annex C] of the bylaws. So just to be very careful so the people don't think that ICANN Legal or ICANN staff determines the scope of the PDP of the ccNSO. It's just a check and balances. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yeah, thank you very much. Thank you for these details. I decided to skip [inaudible], but you're right. It's better to highlight. I know that it's pretty clear that they're looking only at what's in the scope.

Okay, Cancun meeting then. Council workshop, here you see some of the things that, well, currently we have this potential list of topics. Discussion improving efficiency of ccNSO PDPs, that's on Jordan, and as you can see in his e-mail, prior to this call, he is going to work on that to make sure that we have a good workshop.

You probably already also had the opportunity to see a table prepared by Bart where he tried to summarize all the things that, all the steps of our PDPs with the timeline so that we have something in front of us to start the discussion and help Jordan with his ideas because, well, there are certain things that require a certain amount of time. And if we want to change that, then it's probably [wise], asks for more discussion.

As you remember, at the first meeting of the year, we distribute the work load. So we talk about roles and responsibilities of Council. You could already look on the table. It's on our website. You can see a list of

---

the table with roles and responsibilities. I think what would you like to do for the next year. Young Eum, please mute unless you want to say something. Young Eum, please mute. Yeah, thank you.

So yeah. We have certain roles to perform and just look back at the [inaudible] here and see what you would like to do. Yeah, thanks.

Okay. Next one, it's, yeah, we, again, have many things, recommendations from our review. We have recommendations from Workstream 2. We have everything, help, could help ccNSO to grow and improve. That's another topic that we have and then we have, probably start another topic, initial discussion of priorities and work plan, and one thing that also it's a suggestion, one of the topics, it's how to present changes of the rules of the ccNSO from 2004.

Guidelines Review Committee is already thinking about that and in [inaudible] 24<sup>th</sup> of February, we have a call when we are going to discuss that. Yeah. This is another topic that probably we could present it to the Council and then hear your opinion on how to proceed further. As you may know, during a ccNSO members meeting, on Tuesday, we have an hour dedicated to this discussion that we initiated in San Juan. We had an ICANN meeting there, but then we had this first initial presentation and discussion and now go more into substance. And actually, currently, the idea is to start a basic principle that were defined before ccNSO members at the time started thinking about the rules of the ccNSO and we just could look at those principles and see whether they still apply and what other principles would we need to include when we work on the new version of the document.

---

A joint meeting with the Board, still looking for suggestions for [inaudible] for discussion. You saw that Jordan is also looking for that. He is talking about another discussion, but still this is also about the Board. And I still hope that you [have] ideas of what topics we would like to discuss with the Board.

During the meeting of SO/AC Chairs with [Elsie] and Board leadership in Los Angeles. I told you about last time. There was... Well, they're thinking on how to make these interactions more interesting and more, well, not so official and dry and fixed. Therefore, one of the suggestions from SO/ACs was that maybe it's not a good idea to ask the same question to all SO/ACs because, well, as you know, currently, the Board [inaudible] this discussion... The Board sent the same questions to all groups they are going to meet and then they discussed those questions. One of the ideas was that the Board could ask more SO/AC specific questions to make sure that the discussion with that group is more relevant to the group.

And going back to our questions to the Board, another thing was that, yeah, maybe we should not come up with some precise questions but at least indicate areas and topics in general that we would like to discuss. So if that triggered any ideas from you, please do not hesitate to share them on the list.

Council meeting with ALAC and GNSO Council, talking about ALAC, we agreed that, last time in Montreal, we presented the ccNSO and the way the ccTLDs around the world organize their work [inaudible] the regional organizations and ccNSO and basically what we presented was that one size does not fit all and all ccTLDs are very, very different. This

---

time, we discussed this with Maureen and the suggestion was that we move one step forward, meaning that now we talk about the way we organize the work within the ccNSO, how ccTLDs work. So that would mean we explain everything about our working groups and Council committees and ALAC, on their side, they talk about their sub-committees and they explain how they have restructured their work and how they're trying to cover as many activities as possible. So I think this is going to be interesting.

Topics for discussion, with GNSO Council, they are still open and one of the suggestions that we could talk about, joint bylaw change repository. Remember we, well, I told you about that idea from the GNSO side. Yeah, this could be one of the things to discuss. What other topics are hot? Again, if you have suggestions, please let us know.

[Inaudible] members meeting. Yeah, we're still ready for that and I hope that everything will proceed according to plan. Members meeting agenda is published. We have several very interesting sessions [inaudible] DNS abuse. I think that is going to be interesting, and actually, it's [inaudible] will be on our tables for at least a couple of more years. Then maybe something else will [inaudible], but at this point, yeah, this is something that is hot for everyone, and therefore, ccTLDs also need to participate in those discussions.

Another thing, yeah, as I already mentioned, rules of the ccNSO, we just continue the discussion around those rules and we need more feedback from the community. Another, I think, also very interesting discussion, we already have some statistics analyzed for that and we are now trying to identify the best [inaudible], but yeah, excellent analysts to make

---

sure that the discussion is heated and very interesting. And that's about the different governance models of ccTLDs. We identified four models: not-for-profit organizations, for-profit companies, governmental institutions and academic institutions. Each of them have some specific features that make them work for a particular ccTLD and their particular legal framework, their [inaudible] to the community and so on.

So this is also going to be an interesting discussion and we also have a breakout session when managers of regional organizations agreed to lead discussions to prepare, to make a very quick SWOT analysis for one model each. So each RO will take one model and participants will be invited to participate in creating the SWOT table.

Yeah. Then, of course, we have traditionally ccNSO, a ccTLD news session as you could see in the report that [inaudible] sent. Well, that is traditionally the best [inaudible] session. People are always very happy to hear what's going on around the world with other registries. So of course, we are going to have that too and many other discussions as well.

Plenary sessions, we also have to... We also organized plenary sessions, IOT and DNS. It's a joint ccNSO/SSAC effort and they're the main link between ccNSO and SSAC. There is Christian from .NL who works both groups and he is the driving force behind that so I'm sure this is going to be a very well-attended and interesting plenary session.

As always, working group meetings, joint meeting with the GAC, topics identified, DNS abuse and then here's one change. Initially, we planned to give a very brief, five-minute update on PDPs but since we are

---

moving to webinars, we will tell our GAC, those GAC members who are interested, more details about our PDPs via webinar so we substituted those five-minute slots with another topic that's IOT and DNS. So as we meet with the GAC before this plenary session, we will use the five minutes to very briefly explain what this session is going to be about and invite GAC members who will be still around during that session to this plenary session [inaudible] their involvement also is very important.

Giovanni, anything you'd like to add about this joint meeting with the GAC?

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Hi, Katrina. Can you hear me?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yes, loud and clear.

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Okay. So indeed, we have been a liaison with the GAC and for the DNS abuse [inaudible]. We have two presenters, one from .BR, Frederico, and Jordan for .NZ. They're going to have a five minute slot about what they are doing in their registry to fight domain name abuses and we are going to have an introduction before those [inaudible] and [inaudible].

KATRINA SATAKI: Giovanni? Giovanni?

---

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Yes?

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, something horrible happened to your mic. Now it's good. Now it's good again.

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Okay. I don't want to know what happened, so I was just saying that it's going to be this five-minute introduction followed by two presentations and that the message to the GAC that there is an incredible variety of approaches when it comes to fighting abuses at the CC level.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, okay. Thank you. So we have .BR and .NZ. But I think according to the agenda, we also had two regional organizations giving their views, right? Or that's been canceled?

GIOVANNI SEPPIA: Well, I will give... I am working to have a [inaudible] introduction and I'm working with [inaudible] two regional organizations, including [inaudible] to give this introduction and the regional organizations that presented this will be there and ready to compliment what I am going to say.

---

KATRINA SATAKI: Sounds fantastic. Thank you very much for all your efforts. Any questions? Any comments? If no, let's move forward then. Any news from ECA, Stephen?

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Yes. We're back at full compliment. Keith Drasek has been formally certified by the GNSO that he will be the GNSO rep this go-around. We got a rejection action petition period winding up that expires at 7:59 UTC on the 21<sup>st</sup> of February. This involves the IANA/PTI budget for FY21. I have not heard anything from anybody. I suspect that it will expire without anybody formally filing a rejection action petition with their SO/AC. As you know, the ccNSO period to, for our community to object to that budget has long passed. That's the only thing outstanding. The comment periods for both the overall ICANN FY21 budget and the strategic plan, operational plan, are closing soon, I think in three or four days. Eventually, in the next couple of months, the ICANN Board will vote on those and at that point in time, we will have two more rejection action petition periods up and running. But I don't expect for probably until after Cancun. I do not know when the Board may be planning. It would have to be after Cancun, now that I think about it because staff is going to have to collect comments and sort them out, present them in a report to the Board. Nothing else going on. That's it for me. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you very much. CSC, Alejandra, anything from you? Alejandra, anything from you?

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: She just [inaudible] the chat.

KATRINA SATAKI: She can't speak. She is meeting next week. Nothing major. Thank you very much. Good. Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL: An addition is the ccNSO Council and the GNSO Council should expect a request to approve a [SRA] change shortly by, say, before Cancun and this one is particularly relevant for a ccTLD community because it's about the SLAs around the delegation and transfers of ccTLDs. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Thank you. If no other comments or questions, let's move forward then. Updates, regular updates. As I already started talking about that meeting we had in L.A., soon, I hope I will be able to distribute the summary from that event. Not now. We will need... Each SO/AC needs to look at the document and approve, actually, what's been captured in it.

So what we did, we tried to talk about priorities for each SO/AC and we also had presentations from [inaudible] on that strategic plan and one of the things that we tried to see and discuss was how it all comes together, basically, and how SO/ACs could more actively participate in the planning process. Among other things that we discussed was this, the way this governance works, how SO/ACs get involved—not only SO/ACs, but Chairs in particular, how they get involved in different

---

things that happen at ICANN. From the very beginning, I'm not talking about this particular meeting, but meetings that started happening two years ago when some ICANN Org people expected SO/AC Chairs to come up with a decision, that is, agree and decide on something. And we always try to stress that the Chairs can't decide on anything. They can work as an interface between ICANN Org, Board, and their respective communities. So we can tell what our communities expect, what they think, and what they decide. But we can't decide on behalf of all our communities if we haven't spoken to our communities about those particular issues.

Now I think we are, more or less, on the same page. No one expects SO/AC Chairs to decide on behalf of their communities. However, if you look at the bylaws, there are certain things that SO/AC Chairs are expected to do. For example, with respect to specific [readings], they have to agree on the number of members and they have to agree on specific members.

So we try to discuss how this governance thing, how SO/AC Chairs get involved into those discussions and what, and how we can move forward with that. Another thing that we discussed was how we can ensure that future Chairs can effectively and efficiently start participating in those processes once they become Chairs. And for that, there was also a brainstorming session. We agreed to start writing things down, writing something that could be called a Chair's manual. But even the tiny things, organizational things, like logistical things, for example, about monthly calls and how they work and how Chairs can suggest new topics for those discussions and so on.

---

And one of the... I think one of the most important things that we want to do, we want to publish this manual and there, we want clearly to say what is in the scope of these Chairs meetings and what is definitely not in the scope of those Chair meetings. And I think the part about what is not in the scope is maybe even more important than what is in the scope because, well, just in some communities, there is tension because people think, "Oh, there is something very, very important being discussed and agreed behind closed doors," which is really not true because as I said, Chairs act only as interface between their respective communities and other Chairs and CEO and Board leadership, whoever participates in those meetings.

This is really a very brief summary at the moment. I will send you that summary as soon as everyone agrees on it and then we could talk more about the details of that meeting.

Are there any other updates from Chairs, counselors, regional organizations? I see that Alejandra has something in the chat. "I just wanted to let you know that yesterday, I attended a call from the Information Transparency Initiative that is working on the new ICANN website. We reviewed the new public comment section and gave some suggestions for improvement. If you want, you can also send feedback on this thing." So there is a link, so please participate if you wish to say something. Thank you.

Others, regional organizations, Secretariat, anything? Nothing.

Okay, let's move forward then. Updates from working groups. Yeah, ATRT3, as you know, they had their report published. Comment period

---

ended on the 31<sup>st</sup> of January. Unfortunately, we didn't have time to prepare our response. But that's a fact of life.

GRC, yes. As I said, we are working and preparing for a discussion on the rules of the ccNSO. That's probably the most important thing on our agenda at the moment and, well, I hope that in most likely more than a week, we will have a clearer picture of what we are going to do.

Intergovernance Liaison Committee, any updates on that? Anybody knows? Yes, Joke, please.

JOKE BRAEKEN:

Hello, Katrina. A written update was shared earlier this week with the ccNSO Council mailing list. I will also make sure to pass this update into the notes. It's mainly about the survey that was conducted at the end of 2019 by the Internet Governance Liaison Committee and the next steps which will be consulted on with the community in Cancun. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you, SOPC. Giovanni?

GIOVANNI SEPPIA:

Hi, Katrina. I just dropped a line in the chat about the work that we have been doing.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Thank you very much. So SOPC is working on the comments to the ICANN Financial Year 21-25 operating plan and budget, and they plan to

---

submit their comments on the 24<sup>th</sup> of February. I think that's excellent. And another good thing, SOPC is going to have a call with the GNSO Working Group on Tuesday. That's good so we can coordinate our efforts. Excellent meeting [inaudible] committee. I think I already covered the part about the agenda until the ops, I think, I am not sure if there is anything to report.

Then we had updates from liaisons. You could see everything update from Martin, for example. Could we scroll down please? Yes, well next meeting is clearly in March. So now we have any other business, and I have a couple of things for any other business. One of the things is that SSR2 report is out and so, well the issue is, and actually, that's another thing that we discussed with other SO/AC Chairs. Well, I think we all agreed that having 100+ recommendations from review, it's crazy. It's really crazy and it's impossible to work if you have such an amount of recommendations that you have to process, prioritize, implement and so on. And this is actually the case with the SSR2 report. They have more than 100 substantial recommendations. And yeah.

What do you think? Should we provide our comments? I could liaise with our members. I know that our members on the group were not happy with the way it was going, but at the same time, of course, it has I don't know how many years it's already, they are already on this group and with all this [posing] and everything. Of course, they're tired. They're tired and they want to end this, at least the review. Of course, with more than 100 recommendations, it's not going to be the end for the rest of the community. Stephen?

---

STEPHEN DEERHAKE: Thank you, Katrina. They held two webinars on the 10<sup>th</sup> and the 13<sup>th</sup>, yesterday's, and I caught yesterday's. And rather than jive into that report and have your head explode, I would suggest that you take a look at the slide deck and listen to the call. It's on the ICANN website. I don't remember where it is off the top of my head. I can find it though and put it on the list. There was an effort. [Russ] made an effort to prioritize some of the findings, so it gives you an idea. That slide deck will give you an idea of what they think are the important ones as a way of thinking about how to wrap one's head around and go through these recommendations. Thank you.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, thank you very much. Yeah, I think it could be very helpful to look at [inaudible] summary of the report. The report is... Yeah, it's something to read. It's very long.

Okay. If there are no immediate comments or suggestions other than to look at the slide deck—that's a good suggestion—okay, we can proceed that way so please look at the slide deck and see, suggest whether we want to submit our statement or not. One thing, I know that SSAC is going to work on their comments, and clearly, they will provide a very professional input to this report. One caveat, though, they cannot make it on time, on the current deadline. Therefore, they will ask for, to move the deadline on a later date to make sure that they can provide sufficient, that they have sufficient time to provide substantial feedback. Okay, that's about this [inaudible] I have on my list. And of course, second one is, well, use the opportunity to discuss it with you. As you saw, I forwarded, yesterday, I forwarded to Göran's e-mail, and

---

later, I arrived home from the airport, I also sent an e-mail to the community asking for their feedback and I think you all already saw feedback from community members. Well, some have responded to me directly and all of them, all those who responded privately, they all have no concerns about going to Cancun. I did not see any, well, real concerns. Some people are still thinking. You could see [.CL], for example, but the majority said, "Yes, we are ready to go. We are going," and many even had several people going to Cancun.

So I suggest that we... That's basically what, right? That our community has no concerns and are ready and willing to go to Cancun. However, yes, I think we should stress that community members can choose whether to attend or not and we believe that the same flexibility must be given to ICANN staff if they cannot, if they do not feel like going to Cancun for any reason. So that should be their choice. Of course, if all ICANN staff members decide that they don't come, [it's] going to be very problematic, let's say. But yeah, maybe I could ask for feedback from our Secretariat. Bart, Kim, Joke, any comments from you? Are you ready to be with us in Cancun or are you not feeling comfortable? Bart?

BART BOSWINKEL:

Oh, yes. Given the ground state of affairs, I don't see... I personally do not have any issues, but that being said, it's just me. But I maybe have a weird sense of risk.

KATRINA SATAKI:

Yes.

BART BOSWINKEL: Or not. It doesn't matter. But I think what is very important is to say, first of all, of course you need to make your own, say, the assessments that have been made and the advice but at the end of the day, it's your personal assessment as well. So nothing goes against your personal assessment.

KATRINA SATAKI: Yeah, thank you very much. And I see Kim and Joke are not trying to avoid meeting us, seeing us in Cancun either. So great. It means that that is going to be our response. Any other... Young Eum, thank you very much for your detailed and very interested information that you provided.

Okay, yeah, that's absolutely everyone's decision, whether to attend or not. So if there are no other suggestions, what to write, so I will respond along these lines. Is it okay? Everybody fine with that? Okay.

Thanks and any other business from anyone else? No, nothing. Nothing? Okay. If not, it means that we can finish our call, so thank you very much for joining. So it was a pretty short Council call with all informational, which means that, yes, well now I'll say thank you again and see you all in Cancun. Bye all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**

---