
YEŞİM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Technology Taskforce call taking place on Monday the 27th of January 2020 at 16:00 UTC. On the call today, we have Judith Hellerstein, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Adrian Schmidt, Gordon Chillcott, Alfredo Calderon, Dev Anand Teelucksingh, Fotjon Kosta, and Raymond Mamattah.

We have received apologies from Satish Babu, Ricardo Holmquist, Abdulkarim Oloyede, and from Lutz Donnerhacke. From the staff side, we have Evin Erdoğan, Mark Segall, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. I will also be doing call management for today's call. Before we start, just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking for transcription purposes. Now, I would like to leave the floor back to Judith. Thank you very much.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Hi, everyone. Welcome to the call. Is Marsha with staff or is she someone else?

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Hi, Judith. Marsha is the call operator.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Oh, okay. Usually, they just say [ID gulf] but now they have a name. That's fine. Great. Well, welcome, all, to our January call. Thanks so much for joining us. I'm sorry we're not in a normal time period but we were still

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

trying to get ... Hopefully, we wanted to get an ITI update, which we can't do until next time. That's why we delayed it a bit. Welcome, all. Evin, do you want to go over the action items?

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Hi, Judith. Sure. I can go over the action items from the last call we had, which was [cross talk].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: It's posting ... I must have not done it. It's posting to August, and that wasn't the right one. We had a call in December. I must have not fixed the update. Oh, you got it?

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Let's see, okay.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sorry, Evin. I'm sorry for interrupting. Judith, if you can please give me one second. I'm going to just pull up the correct action items, here. Please bear with me.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Thanks so much.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Okay, here you are. Over you, Evin. Thank you.

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Awesome. Thank you, Yeşim. Lightning fast. As was discussed, I think, off-list and before, the first action is complete, about the LACRALO translation tool. Mark Segal provided an update on this, as well. And then, also complete was a note for Glenn to renew a call for engagement on the ICANN At-Large blog, which is a community-administered website. The two that may or may not be complete ... Actually, I think they are. I'm not sure if Heidi's with us but, Judith, I think you could confirm whether these budget development requests have been put in and what their status is?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Sure. We worked with Heidi and also with [Abdulkarim] and [inaudible] to put in an additional budget request to update the trend spot for the French language. Mark's going to talk about this later on the call. I know we've been working with all three. We decided that it wasn't going to go through the flexibility fund. We would go with the additional budget request. That's the answer to that one. Mark will talk about this a little bit later.

And then, the next one is about the budget development workspace. I am thinking she's referring to the additional budget requests that we put in. We're going to discuss that later. I think that's what it was. Evin, do you know?

EVIN ERDOĞDU: That sounds correct to me, Judith, but probably Heidi best knows. Since the ABRs have more or less proceeded, I would assume that these are complete or have been discussed. But I'll follow up with Heidi.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Thank you, sure. Back over to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: We are down to ... Okay. According the first idea, for the first action item we did the LACRALO translation tool. I know that Dev is on the call. I think Dev says that there haven't been any issues, lately. Dev, do you want to talk about that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you. Can you hear me?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes, we can.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Lovely. Okay. Thank you. The LACRALO [meeting] on this translation tool was deployed in early December, I believe. After letting people on LACRALO know that this change was coming, the change implementation, I think – Mark knows and can confirm – it went smoothly in the sense that

after a few test e-mails it was “in use,” as they say. I think there was only one issue, which I think Mark ... And now, because of its better debugging tools and the error reporting from the tool, Mark and his team will be able to identify the GSU rather quickly.

Since then, I have noticed an improved quality of the translations. Nobody has really made any complaints so I must say we seem to have smooth sailing. I don't know if Silvia is on the call or anybody from LACRALO who wishes to say anything about it. I'm not seeing anybody as such. Okay, no. I can turn it over to Mark and see if he has anything else to report on the translation tool in general.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Dev. Mark?

MARK SEGALL:

Hi. Yeah, we found two minor things that we wanted to adjust, not necessarily having a severe impact. The biggest one that may be noticeable is that sometimes, if somebody is not a member of ... Let's say that they send to the English list but they're not a member of the Spanish list. Then, what will happen is that it will get queued up on the Spanish list for a moderator, so At-Large staff actually release it and let it through.

What you'll see is a little bit of a time-gap between when it was sent to the English list and when it finally shows up on the Spanish. The reason for that is because of the way that we capture the header information of the e-mails. Let's say Dev sent in an e-mail to the English list and he's not a member of the Spanish list. It's actually forging his name in that e-mail

and maintaining that as it goes to the Spanish, which means that, because he's not on the Spanish, it's got to sit there and wait because it's not an approved member of the list.

What we're changing – and again, it's a minor change – is that instead of it completely forging the e-mail address, it's just going to send as the trans-bot service account and change the reply-to and the display name so that it still maintains the integrity of the original sender but not completely forge that, plus the minor security concerns of forging e-mail like that.

That is being developed as we speak. I'm actually waiting for an update. I'm hoping that as early as this week we'll have that minor update go out. And then, we had one other, again, security item. Right now, the service is not looking for ... It's not verifying that whoever is sending e-mails to that service account is coming from the mailing list.

If somebody was to hack that e-mail account, they could send directly to the trans-bot and potentially cause some issues, there. It's a security tweak we're making there to make sure that the trans-bot only receives e-mails from the mailing list that it's tied to. As far as that goes, that's it, I think. I'm very happy to hear what I was already seeing, which is that this has been going well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Mark. Greatly appreciate. I think, Mark, if you could talk a little bit about – since Abdulkarim is not on the e-mail list – the efforts to expand the trans-bot into French and other languages?

MARK SEGALL:

Yeah. We expect that to be pretty light effort in terms of the level of effort. I know we've put in a budget request. Part of that is making sure we're doing a reassessment of the architecture to make sure that it's refined, the biggest part of it being the testing. We want to make sure that we're catching any nuances of the French language because all of our efforts in the past have been Spanish, so if there are any character issues or something odd that might come up.

I've been working with Heidi and the rest of the policy support team on prioritization because, even if the ABR goes through, there is still a matter of internal resource allocation. We need to make sure that we have the appropriate oversight so that, when the developers start working on it again, it's to our best practices and also having that proper institutional knowledge being built up.

That's basically where it stands. I think, right now, we're penciling it in. Obviously, if we're going to ABR for it then we need to try and fit into the FY21 budget cycle. It's just one half of that cycle. Like I said, this is a prioritization game at this point.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much for that. I guess, for clarity and understanding, if we get the ABR approved then it will be ready in the FY21 cycle. But if we don't, it could be delayed. Is that what you were saying?

MARK SEGALL: Yeah, that's, centrally, the [problem]. From what I've heard, I don't think getting the budget approved is necessarily the concern as much as just making sure that we have the resources lined up, and even that is a minor concern at this stage. But I know that there is still ongoing discussion to wrap it all up.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much. I see we have Dave Kissoondoyal and Raymond in our participants. Do you have any questions for Mark on getting a French trans-bot and getting it set up to the list in French and English? If you have any questions I'm happy to have them answered. We'll just wait a few minutes to see. Oh, yeah. Then, there's also Olivier. He's on the French side. We're discussing the French translation tool. If you have any questions, Mark was talking about that. Please don't hesitate to ask. If you don't have them right now you can always ask them later. I just wanted to make sure.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Judith. I'm on the English channel. I'm not on the French channel. But yeah, I do speak French and I am French. I was just going to say, look, I think that the communities that are Francophones could really appreciate something like this, moving forward, I would say especially in Africa because, as you know, there is Francophone Africa. The language is always a barrier to participation. Having this system on the mailing list would be really, really helpful for them.

I also have to upload the work that has been done regarding the trans-bot here, which is really great. I happen to be on the test mailing list and

I have seen things becoming more and more reliable, and more and more correct, as time has gone on. Well done, guys.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much, Olivier. There was another Olivier, Kouami, and he was for the French, so I thought if he had any questions ... But I guess not, so that's great. And now, I guess ...

OLIVIER KOUAMI: Hello, [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Olivier?

OLIVIER KOUAMI: Yes, nothing to say. I'm following up, please. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great, okay. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. There is a lot of interest in the African side for the French translation trans-bot. I think that will really help with communications as we're trying to build up a lot more engagement in Francophone Africa, and that the language has been an issue for them.

I will then do ... Dev, do you want to give an update about you're At-Large blog that you submitted? We're on the additional budget requests so let me preface it. The TTF has submitted three different additional budget

requests in this cycle, one for the captioning, the real-time translations, continuing in the English, and also starting up again in the Spanish. We are looking to have 12 hours of the English, up from ten, and six hours of the Spanish.

A couple of years ago, we had done a Spanish pilot and it was very successful. But because of last year's monetary issues, we had to drop it. And so, we're reinstating our request to have six hours of Spanish translations to go along with the Spanish language interpretation. That is, basically, the request for that. I think it will greatly enhance our communication and our efforts in engagement, along with the trans-bot in there.

Hopefully, this runs successfully and then we can get the trans-bot running. We can also try to get the French real-time transcriptions also working. That's my update on that. Dev, maybe you can talk about – since Glenn is not on the call – the At-Large blog submission that you wrote. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thank you, Judith. The budget request that was submitted is for ... Well, we didn't call it a "blog" but we called it a "content management system." The goals of it are ... And I posted a link to a Google Document of the budget request. The budget request was to [recover] and maintain and serve a content management system for us, the At-Large community, to share up-to-date news and updates about the At-Large community, and to do that in a way that reduces the [inaudible] efforts in sharing news and updates.

It's making the news and updates more accessible and easier on mobile devices and to make it easier to reshare content immediately to At-Large social media channels and on At-Large's community website, our ALS website and their social media channels. And it improves our outreach to present that interest in Internet governance and making the news more discoverable via search engines, social media, and so forth, so then such a person can decide to be a part of the At-Large community.

The reason why we are submitting this is because, right now, what's happening is that a lot of content updates are done manually. They'll go out to the mailing list and, okay, people on the mailing list receive it. But it's mostly invisible to search engines when you want to find that information and when you try to share it over social media it's kind of drab-looking content.

Updates are happening on the Wiki. The challenge on the Wiki side is that the Wiki is not easily accessible over mobile devices. You typically have to, sometimes, reload twice for content to render in your mobile browser. The other challenge with the Wiki is that it's very confusing to ... Well, I would say it's even confusing for regular At-Large community members as to where information and activities are located. So, they get pointed to a Wiki page and then get totally lost as to the "where do we go from here?" kind of thing.

And then, what also happens is that [the traffic] posting is then manually done for the At-Large social media so you have them, most likely, or other people on the At-Large staff, manually composing an update on this using social media tools, be it proper or directly on Twitter or Facebook. There's a lot of copying and pasting. I really would like to see a way to reduce this

type of duplication of content and just make it much more searchable, discoverable, and easier for everybody – the staff and the community.

Myself and Glenn did a demo blog. We created the website already, icannatlarge.blog. The goal of the content management system is that you write once. Once you've created the post on the content management system, which is using WordPress, a very popular content management system, it can be configured to automatically send out to the social media channels immediately. You can also have an e-mail going out to a mailing list, as well. Those people who want to get content updates via e-mails instead of social media, you can have both.

The content management system is ... Well, the demo system is installed on Amazon Services. Amazon Services have some additional features like Amazon Translate, which allows for machine translation of articles. Once you put a post in, the machine can translate that to other languages, therefore increasing the availability of content to our diverse community.

And there's something else that will turn those posts into speech. It just allows for At-Large updates to be read to people in their language. Apart from making it more accessible to a differently-abled person, this offers to have updates as an audio podcast, for example. That was the budget request. Check out the link – I see it's already in the Zoom room – on how we structured it and so forth.

Okay? So that's that. That is the idea behind the tool. It has been approved by the Finance and Budget Subcommittee, pending some discussions to be had with Mark Segall and Jana Juginovic from ICANN. I

don't know if anybody has any comments or questions about the ABR? I see there's a comment from ...

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Dave Kissoondoyal put a comment on the chat. His comment seems to be that he thought it would defeat the purpose if the content has to be manually input again after the same content has been put on the Wiki. He's talking about that what we put on the Wiki doesn't get populated elsewhere. I think, Dev, your attempt was that we'll create the blog and then the blog can populate in different places.

DAVE KISSOONDOYAL: Correct.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: But I know there are a lot of places with the Wiki, in that things have to be posted twice because, also, the Wiki has a lot of other issues. The Wiki has yet to be covered on the Information Transparency Project, since they're only dealing with the website. After the finish the website, they will deal with the Wiki, we hope. But I don't know. Mark, do you have any comments to make? Or maybe a better answer to Dave's question? Thank you.

MARK SEGALL: I'll go backwards, here, to answer your question or comment about the Wiki. The next step for us is actually to get the various SO/AC types rolled into the ITI platform so that it can be a cohesive findability experience. I

know there are some discussions above my head about the order of things. Obviously, there several SO/AC types and we want to make sure that they're strategically prioritized.

In terms of the Wiki, there has been some talk about, "What do we really need to do about the Wiki?" I think that we actually need to have a good strategy discussion about it because it was put out there as a greenfield. Everybody used it in their own, different way. It's not consistent between SO/ACs in how they're using it, nor does it necessarily need to be. But it makes things more difficult for applying a taxonomy and making things actually findable on the Wiki.

Like I said, there are even groups that are outside the SO/ACs, like review teams that might be using it. Their use case is similar but we still have to take into account any of their individual needs. The Wiki is definitely one of those that just requires continued thought about how to best use it as we move forward.

For this particular request, I've seen the ABR. I know that there's still some internal discussion that I'm not a part of within the policy support team about it and what direction we want to go. I know that, in the meantime, there is an option that we could use something like Google Alerts to try and scrape from the various sources that you're interested in and then set up a digest. It doesn't solve all of the problems you're trying to solve. Also, it's dependent upon data actually being in some kind of structured format. It could be a stop-gap solution to help a little bit. That was really all I had on this one.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much. Dave was saying that the ICANN website already has an RSS so it will be easier to pull information from there. I guess that's what you were talking about, too, getting websites to work well so that they can be pulled of information to some kind of a coherent system. Dev, I know you have your hand up so let me go to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Hi. Thanks, Mark, for this. Yes. First of all, with RSS, the idea is that we can incorporate content from such sites as the ICANN website and so forth, so you can get an ICANN announcement section, and so forth, but it's all in one space. Certainly, it can happen the other way around. The At-Large content management system RSS feeds can also be used to populate the ALAC website. They could incorporate information about the At-Large community or updates on the At-Large community. They can have it on their website.

That's the idea about that. Mark, I think, definitely, regarding the Wiki, it seems to be very confusing as to what we actually want to go into the Wiki. I think we do need to have an extended conversation on that. From my perspective – and I'll defer to and appreciate another person's comments – it seems to be, from the At-Large perspective, that not many people from the At-Large community are using the Wiki and creating content and so forth.

I note that within the CPWG what seems to be happening ... The CPWG is the Consolidated Policy Working Group, where the At-Large committee looks at all of the At-Large policy issues and tries to discuss and comment on them.

I noticed even on the CWPG we are now using Google Docs a lot more than actually using the Wiki page to do draft comments and so forth. It's evident that only staff is using the Wiki. Maybe, then, it needs to be a different content management system. Again, from my perspective, I'm not seeing any new content being created on the At-Large Wiki. It's just staff creating it.

And I don't know if Mark or the At-Large staff ... Maybe this is something that could be collected as a sort of data point. What are the stats on how many people are using the Wiki and how many people are creating content for the Wiki, etc.? That could give us even more information to guide the conversation as to what should happen with the Wiki. I'll stop there.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks, Dev. Thank you so much for that. Mark, maybe you could provide some insight? Also, I know we're using an ICANN account. When we do the Google Docs – and maybe others do not know that – all of the comments are put on an ICANN account. And then, that should be more able to be linked to others. But maybe Mark could also answer those questions, as well. Thanks so much.

MARK SEGALL:

Hi. I'm sorry, Judith. That last point you were just raising, I'm not sure I quite understood.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Dev was mentioning that the Consolidated Policy Working Group were doing a draft on Google Docs. But when we are doing a draft, the ICANN staff have set up a Google Doc under an ICANN account. Is that going to be captured in any of the ITI efforts, staff use of Google Docs? Maybe you could highlight that, as well. Thank you.

MARK SEGALL:

Thanks, Judith. In terms of the Wiki and giving analytics, I know that there are tools we have out there that will be able to get that information that we've looked at in the past. I think you're pretty spot-on, Dev, with your assessment. Primarily, the kind of stuff being stored there is agendas, meeting minutes, and the kind of stuff we're seeing right now on the screen. I think there are some use-cases that vary from that but, at least from what I've seen on the At-Large side, it seems like that's the primary use-case.

Google Docs, right now, is not incorporated on ITI. This first phase of it was really just about the existing icann.org website. Next, is looking into the SO/AC side. In my conversations, I've tried to raise, "Don't make it as simple as an SO/AC site transition to ITI. Let's also look at the things that are frustrating people, like the ccNSO or GNSO sites, for example." The really old sites. Their use-case of the Wiki is a little bit more because they're limited on what the website can do for them, and the things that might have actually made more sense to be on a website are being stuck on the Wiki or in Google Docs.

I think that as we get into each SO/AC site, as we're doing the content strategies for each one, that is something that needs to be taken into

consideration, that we're not just [following] ourselves to the existing website, and actually understanding the ultimate goal of that website. What do they want to capture? What do they have? And to do a workaround for Google Docs or the Wiki today that might actually make better sense on the website or may make sense to stay in the Wiki or Docs. I think those are the kinds of conversations that need to be had before we've even put a single finger on a keyboard for coding.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you so much, Mark. Evin, I see you had your hand up but then you took it down.

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Mark already answered your question but I just wanted to clarify for him, actually, the reference that you made to the Google Docs. We have an At-Large Google Drive and we create documents that allow the community to comment on for ALAC statements and so forth. But that's just contextual so we've already moved past that. Thanks. Back to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thank you so much. I don't know, Mark, if you had known about that. Dev, your hand is up.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah, just one. Evin, what exactly should be moved to Google Docs, as opposed to just using the Wiki? The latest version, when ICANN updated to the Wiki, you can do things such as multiple people editing the

document and so forth, which was the key benefit of using Google Docs. I see that that they also have things that are plugins, calendar plugins, and so forth. But there seems to have been a conscious decision within the CPWG, or within the ALAC, to not use the Wiki. Was that a formal decision or was it just that people started using it and people wanted [to do]?

EVIN ERDOĞDU:

Thanks, Dev, for your question. From my recollection, it was a bit of both. I think that people had always been using Google Docs before the Wiki had this feature created. But then, a lot of people are more familiar with Google Docs and they preferred to keep it once that option was announced. And then, also, depending on the penholder versus someone who is just commenting, it's a little bit easier to see and control access as to who is the penholder versus just the public commenter on Google Docs.

And also from a staff perspective, as well, since we submit the ALAC statements from the At-Large staff e-mail account to public comment, that's the way of ensuring it's actually an ALAC statement as opposed to just anyone who could download the document, edit it, and then send it and say it's an ALAC statement. It's just best practice. I realize that the Wiki does have a lot of similar features to Google Docs. I guess it was just so similar that people didn't feel that it was necessary to change at that point. Thanks.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Evin, thanks so much. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you, Judith. I must issue, at this point, a level of warning towards just using Google Docs and not using the Wiki. The process by which things get drafted is that, yes, the Google Doc is really used by the core drafters so that they can work on the document quickly. But then, a copy of that still needs to go on the Wiki and there needs to be, also, some comments going on the Wiki. At the end of the day, the only permanent record of our process towards building any kind of document is the Wiki because we cannot be assured that the Google Docs will stick around forever or will remain archived, as such.

The Wiki is our primary point for the tracking. It's just convenience. When you have people from around the world, three or four people that are writing and working on the same document, using the Google Doc is very convenient for them to build something quickly, especially in this short amount of time that we have to put things together. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Thanks so much for that. I just want to quickly go to Mark and ask, is there a way to also keep a record, if we're using the Google Doc, of different changes that are made so that we could archive it? I know that, also, things on the Wiki ... We lost a lot of past history that had been on the Wiki when they updated different versions and other things. We also have an archive problem on the Wiki, as well. And so, we seem to have archive problems either way. I may be interested to hear what your viewpoint is, and then I'll go back to you, Dev. Thank you.

MARK SEGALL:

Very good question. Off the top of my head, I don't really have an answer on archiving. I do know that the Wiki, when it first was rolled out, was, like I say, greenfield. I know that we have structured our processes around it over time. One of the things that has had to take a hit, as well, is plugins, for example. We were finding extreme delays in being able to upgrade to the latest versions, especially if there were security patches, because it would break plugin functionality.

Some of these plugins are designed for one version and then that company goes under or for whatever reason it stops getting the visibility and continued development. I think that on the archiving side, I'll have to get back specifically on the Wiki.

On Google Docs, I totally agree with what Olivier was saying. Google has a very bad history of suddenly saying, "This no longer is relevant. We're going to kill the service." I doubt that it's going to happen with Google Docs because that's a nice cash string for them. But still, that's something to consider. And also, I don't know what impact the use of Google Docs has on the Middle Eastern regions that are banned from Google.

If you guys are feeling any kind of pinch from people not being able to contribute or not have an access to Google, that was just something that was in my head, there. Yeah. It sounds like there probably needs to be some kind of, at least, discovery project of some sort to understand the archival needs and how to approach those.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Mark. Dev, do we think, or do others think, that we should make this an action item? Do we want to do an action item on

starting a discovery process? I'm trying to figure out what we do and maybe start a working group on that. I'd be interested in people's thoughts on that. Dev, I know your hand was still up. We'll go over to you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. I think we do need to carve some time out to have a deeper dive into this stuff. Just to quickly respond to what Olivier was saying, I am a big fan of Google Docs. I use Google Spreadsheets very extensively, for the stakeholder tool, for example. I admit the ease of these kinds of things, especially when you have it available on mobile devices. I think this is where the Wiki is falling down, in that [inaudible] while you can get the app to work at the conference At-Large Wiki, you're welcome to do so. It's still very slow.

I think we need to have a good conversation and to perhaps have an action item, collect the stats for how the At-Large Wiki is being used, and then we can have a better conversation in terms of how many visitors the At-Large Wiki gets, what is the amount of content created on the At-Large Wiki, and the primary staff or the other persons using it in unique ways.

Long-term, is there a need for ICANN to invest in some sort of content management system that allows browser-based editing, similar to Google Docs but hosted on their servers? There, it could be more fully controlled, monitored, upgraded, whatever. Yes, I would agree with that. I see Olivier has a hand raised on that, as well.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yeah. Olivier?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah. Thank you very much, Judith. Dev is asking a number of questions. He already knows the answer. Who is using the Wiki? The updates are about, what, 95% staff, 4% Dev Anand Teelucksingh, and 1% everyone else? That's pretty much the ... You said there is, you know.

Just putting joking aside, the difficulty I have with the Google Docs is the tracking over version one, version two; the evolution of going from where we were at the first version that gets drafted by a team to the one where the comments that have been received, both on the mailing list but also on the Wiki, are integrated in this.

If you start having comments and things on the Google Doc, when you accept the comments it just zaps them. They disappear. There's no way to show there are different levels of tracking short of having to create multiple numbers of Google Docs. I think they have to do a snapshot and then move to the next one.

We also have to think about the amount of work that this poses on our staff. Having multiple members of Google Docs having to update them, copy them, and go from version one, to version two, to version three, is just going to make it even more complicated, especially with one thing that I've never understood, which is the URLs that Google Doc is using are just right, darned terrible. Maybe it's on purpose to discourage people from using them, but they're just insane.

I'd be very concerned about using the Wiki less and using things like Google Docs more, and even more concerned about having ICANN implement something that is just like Google Docs. There are tons of

products. There is PiratePad. There are also some other products out there. I thought that we were looking at a consolidation of resources and ICANN IT resources, not something where there's an expansion of resources.

Certainly, running some kind of a system like Google Docs that will be responsive enough worldwide – remember that the Google Doc stuff runs off the Google Cloud, which mostly is very [close to me] thanks to the content delivery network – that's going to be expensive. We need to be really sure about what we want. Thank you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much for that. One thing I think, Evin, we would like to have as an action item is to look into this more and to do what ... Dev or Olivier, could you, in quick, concise language, spell out what our action item for this should be?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

I'll take a shot at it. ICANN staff to collate stats on the ICANN Wiki and how it's used; how many people are visiting the Wiki and how many people are creating content on the Wiki, as a start. The second thing is that I understand Olivier's concern about using the Google Docs. I don't know if you want to have a section ... Let's open up a section on Google Docs about Google Docs, in terms of how we solve certain issues.

Just to answer Olivier, yeah, with Google Docs, we can – how should I put it? – make milestones within the same document. In other words, you can give a particular version a name within a Google Doc. You can say

“draft version one,” “version two,” version three,” and then “final draft,” and then search back between each one. It can be done. But I think at the start – I could show that to you offline – that’s the first step. We’ll let Olivier get the stats, even though I think I know the answer already. I want empirical evidence to show it and [inaudible].

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Okay, Evin, [cross talk].

EVIN ERDOĞDU: Okay, maybe I’ll just read what I wrote here. The first thing was that ICANN staff are to collate stats on the confluence Wiki and how it’s used. Mainly, how many are visiting and creating content. And the second would be to start a discovery process on Google Docs versus the confluence Wiki for ALAC policy statement development. I’m not a total expert on Google Docs but I think there was a way to see the history of the changes. But that’s probably not the same as comments. Yeah, I’m happy to follow up on this.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: There is history of changes, but what Dev is saying is that there’s a way of demarcating drafts within one Google Doc, so that instead of going back to the history of the changes you could actually see them, and not go back and say, “Okay, tell me what was on version one.” It’s a demarcation. The history of change is any time someone touched the blog.

He's not interested. He wants to know specific comments and name them so that you can back. "Okay, what was the early draft like? What was the later draft like?" Maybe, in some other session, we could get an education on how to demark graphs. Apparently, [Adrienne] and other people ... Some know about it and others don't. Is that something that we can also put down, too, on that, and have someone do some investigation? Or people who know about it can explain it to you so that we could actually have a user guide?

Maybe it would be easier to, when we start going forward on the draft, actually then preserve copies for archiving and seeing what the earlier draft were and what the later drafts were. Olivier, does that answer your questions?

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, it does. Thank you, Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. Okay. You could send the action item to myself, Dev, and Olivier, and we can help retool it for you. That's great. I'm going to go to you, Mark. Mark, do you have any comments that you want to bring out on this?

MARK SEGALL: Nothing further from me.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: All right. Thanks so much. Okay. Dev, I know you, in our remaining short time, wanted to bring up your issue on tools like Slack, Zoom chat. There's a way of threading discussions. As we know, Skype is horrible. Some people don't like Slack.

I'm wondering, now, if ICANN, in its license of Zoom, whether they could have an ability to make Zoom chats go outside of the call. But it means that everyone has to have a Zoom account. That might be cheaper than Slack. This is the continuing discussion that we've had over the years. Dev, is this something that you were saying that you had asked to be put on the list? I'm going to go over to you and ask you if that's what you were asking about. Maybe he's not on the call anymore. Oh, good. There.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry. I don't know if we have much time to go into this side. We've got to hear something more from Mark because I believe ICANN, internally, have started using Slack for their ACs and SOs. Maybe Evin can also answer the question, that they are using Slack within ICANN itself, and therefore all of the ICANN At-Large staff now have familiarity with Slack. I think one of the challenges was that, if it was restricted to Slack, who will be administering it?

The question then came that, "Well, if it's staff, staff don't have the experience to do it," kind of thing. Even if we were just using the free tier of Slack, which I think it would be an improvement as to seeing what ICANN does with group chat amongst its ACs and SOs. I don't think we need to go into the whole discussion of it.

Regarding Zoom chat, because it's becoming part of Zoom, is that a potential option? Is ICANN looking at seeing if communities can start using this more? There seems to be a potential but, again, it's gradually being built out within Zoom. It's not feature-rich, I'll put it that way.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yeah. Thanks so much, Dev. Mark, do you have any comments on this, to answer some of Dev's questions?

MARK SEGALL:

Hi. Briefly, that is definitely not a new topic. We continually keep revisiting when and how we can approach Slack for greater community. I know that they have recently deployed for the board. One of the big things has been a stumbling block as well as a retention policy. It was that their commitment to transparency and accountability makes for very difficult discussions. You alluded to it as well, Dev, that there's the governance of how we administer it. It's something that just needs some discussion.

Definitely, if we wanted to have it integrated in some way with what we're rolling out, is there going to be a cost impact? There are some limitations on the free versions from how many licenses. Does that mean a whole bunch of channels or teams for various community uses, which can proliferate and become very difficult to maintain? Or, do we look at one big team/community version or some hybrids?

There are a lot of those kinds of discussions. But I think that the big thing is getting it as something that's prioritized. And then, one discussion

we've had in the past, but I haven't heard anything, probably, in about a year on it, is having Slack integrate with Zoom in some way so that you're using the Slack chat instead of the Zoom chat so that you can have a transparency of whether you're on a call or you're not on a call. You just have this one chat thread.

I haven't heard much on that in the last year or two. There are no plans, to my knowledge, to extend Zoom's chat. As you mentioned, it's kind of limited. We're just getting to a point where it's going to have the ability to see the history of a chat when you come into a room. I know that has been a long-standing item, as well. I don't see that one being in the future. I think Slack will be the future. It's just a matter of when it gets prioritized if we take them on at that larger project.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Thanks so much, Mark. That has been very helpful. We've been having this discussion on and off for years and years, as Mark knows. In closing, I just wanted to remind people that, if you can click on the At-Large technology issues, if you have any technology issues we would love your help in helping to document them. We then put them on the form. We document them and then we send them to staff to know about them, or to Mark, and then we could update these current technology issues.

We have the LACRALO ones. We have the Zoom. We have the ones that were resolved. The LACRALO ones are going to move to the resolved section. But if you have any questions or any things that you find, please let us know so that we could bring it to the attention of Mark and his team.

Oftentimes, what happens is that when people have them they send them after the fact or they don't give us much information and so they're hard to track. Providing as much information as possible is always very helpful, I think, to Mark and his team. We're just trying to help you track that.

That's pretty much all. I see we're pretty much out of time. If anyone has any other business, please let us know. Otherwise, we'll see you on the next call. It will be some time in February. We are also trying to schedule a short session during the ICANN67 in Cancún, where Mark and Jana are going to be on talking about the ITI project and other communication issues. We'll have a chance to really talk to them once they have a better handle on how these are going to work in the future and the ITI [health].

Mark has finished dissecting/learning about all of the comments that came up on the ITI. We'll be able to give a better discussion on this. That's how I understand it, Mark. We'll look forward to your presentation then.

MARK SEGALL: Absolutely. We're looking forward to the presentation there, in Cancún.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Great. Okay. Well, thank you all for joining. Send on the list any issues and questions. We look forward to having a robust discussion and getting something started on the discovered issues and how we best use Google Docs, and how we best preserve the draft so that people can learn, we can look back, and we can show histories of things. Thanks so much for the call. Sorry for going over by one minute but it was a very good

discussion, I thought, today. Thanks. Hope everyone has a great evening, afternoon, and, for people on the West Coast, morning. Bye, all.

YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Thank you, all. This meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of the day. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]