
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN 67 Planning Committee call on Thursday, the 9th of January 2020 at 17:00 UTC.

On the call today, we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Joanna Kulesza, Jonathan Zuck, Barack Otieno, and Dave Kissoondoyal.

On Spanish, we have Sergio Salinas Porto.

We have received apologies from Yrjo Lansipuro, Carlos Raul Gutierrez, and Holly Raiche.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber; and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management.

And our interpreters for today are Claudia and David.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much, and with this, I hand the call over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Yeah, sorry about that. I was listening to the finance session when the call came through and really hadn't had too much of a chance to go through this as I would normally do. But let's just go forward.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

Welcome everyone and happy new year to everyone if I haven't said that already to you and looking forward to a really good year, starting off with ICANN 67.

There's a few things that we need to go through and start to help Gisella with her [inaudible] sorts of things that we need to do in ICANN 67. So, we'll go through some of those. Just going through the agenda for example, looking at some of the things that we're going to be doing in the ... Sorry about that. The LACRALO Board is meeting in ICANN 67, so they're looking at doing some training, so we need to be able to assist them with what to do.

So, let's actually have a look at the block schedule, Gisella, and we'll see what we're working with.

GISELLA GRUBER: Hi, Maureen. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

GISELLA GRUBER: Wonderful. Thank you, Maureen. So, at this stage, we're just sharing the block schedule to you. This is the latest version that was released just before the Christmas break—the holiday break, sorry. The ICANN plenary is on Monday, the last block, and then on Thursday morning. Note that initially there was a plenary on Wednesday morning and that

has now been removed and the ALAC and Board will instead start off the day on Wednesday with a meeting from 8:30 to 9:30.

I did—and apologies, it was a little last minute—add to the agenda page for today’s meeting additional changes that were made on the block schedule from the initial version that we’ve seen when there was still three ICANN plenary sessions on it. I’ve just put it here as an FYI for information for those interested and it was on the SO/AC mailing list with this updated version, again just before the holiday break.

That is all with regards to the block schedule that has changed and I’m just going to double check if I actually changed our Wiki pages to reflect this change. And if it doesn’t request this change of the ALAC and Board meeting on Wednesday, it will be done within the next hour. Thank you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Hi. I just have to go onto my laptop computer because my phone call dropped, so [inaudible] have another call, that would be good.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Hi, Maureen. I sent you a message but, yes, actually, the interpreters are having a hard time hearing you, so Adigo is dialing out to you right now. Thank you and apologies for that.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Thank you for that. Does anyone want to have a little chat while I’m waiting for this phone call? Okay, hang on a sec.

Hi, there. Am I back?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, we can hear you. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Sorry about that. [inaudible] disorganization, isn't it, really? Okay. So, Gisella, I missed a bit of that of the information with regards to the block schedule apart from the things that Gisella has mentioned in the agenda which is [inaudible]. And of course we're looking at ...

One of the things that we are looking at is a session that Joanna wants to include for her—what didn't make the ICANN plenary but we want to I'm assuming that Joanna is actually working with you, Gisella, on when might be a suitable time to hold that At-Large plenary session. Has there been some contact yet? Just as an aside on that. [inaudible].

GISELLA GRUBER: Just to say that we haven't confirmed any timing for that session yet as it stands now.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. All right. But I think I'd like to ... If at all possible, I'd really like that to be prioritized so that if there's an available space if we can lock it in. It's just that, for some of the people that she wants to include into the panel for that session, they may not be available on the Saturday and Sunday when we would probably want to hold it. So, if there is an

available time, if we could look at how we might be able to squeeze that in. That may be a lunch session. I don't know.

Okay, moving on then. Is there anything else that anyone wants to ask about the block schedule and what their needs might be for anyone who's on the call at the moment?

JOANNA KULESZA: It's Joanna on the audio bridge. I apologize for not raising my hand properly.

MAUREEN HILYARD: No, I haven't seen a hand but you may speak.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you. I'm just on the audio bridge and limited in my hand-raising capacity. Just wanted to confirm [inaudible] very excited about the session. I fully rely on Gisella's expertise there when it comes to the timing. I did suggest we might want to have it during the week if possible as a lunch session just to make sure that everyone has arrived and said their hellos, but again, I fully rely on [inaudible] Maureen and Gisella's expertise here and I'm open to any suggestions. Once we know the timing, I would be more than thrilled to work with [Yrjo] and the GAC to have someone from the GAC [inaudible] decided who that would be to come and join us and talk together with [inaudible] about how to approach the [inaudible]. But thank you for leading the way on having this on the schedule itself, and once we have any suggestions to

the timing, I would be happy to [inaudible] with further details. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

No, thank you, Joanna. I think that---Maureen for the record, I don't know why I keep forgetting that. You raised the GAC session and any other sessions that we need to include with other constituencies. So, I must admit it's something that we—Joanna and Jonathan and I—when we were in LA and we are meeting up with the other SO/AC chairs to be able to discuss with them, too, like when they might be available or if they want to be available to speak to At-Large. But also to be able to talk to them about the sorts of things that we would like to participate in with their groups when we actually meet.

So, we're in an ideal opportunity actually while we're in LA to speak to them about the interactions that we actually have with the various constituencies that we meet with. We don't often get that chance and the LA meeting is really giving us a great opportunity to speak to them face-to-face about the sorts of interactions that we'd like to actually have with them within part of our sessions. That's going to be of value to us. So, we've got to make sure that we take some time for them if they need it.

Any other questions or comments about anything that might be specific? I suppose I'm looking at then going into the review of the key issues. I'm just trying to find the document which I've just uploaded somewhere. Is it the action item? The action items page—

HEIDI ULLRICH: This has the topics [inaudible]. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, you go.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, what you've agreed earlier is that definitely EPDP, then SubPro. Then, as now I've heard, Joanna's cybersecurity, DNS abuse. I don't know where we are with Holly, the DoH thing. Did we agree to that? Gisella, do you recall that, or Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: I know it's something that she wanted to follow up but I'm not quite sure what she's actually done to move that one forward but it's one that she's still talking about, so we'll have to look at that.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, could that one possibly be one of the policy sessions? Because I know that Joanna's is going to be a separate one. Then that might be one of the policy sessions that you normally hold.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think she's looking at it as a policy session.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, do you want to reach out to her? I'm happy to do that as well.

GISELLA GRUBER: Yes, Heidi. I just need to—I'm just going to double check in my email if there's anything on that from Holly.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sure. Okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: And we haven't heard any others?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Not that I'm aware of. Gisella, have you had any?

GISELLA GRUBER: Nothing further on my side. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: The only thing I can think of—and Jonathan and Joanna, you might confirm this—is that I think by that time the policy platform will likely be in a good state. But that might be something we can discuss in a separate session or with the cross-regional leadership sessions. That's really for the regions. Any comments there?

JOANNA KULESZA: I'm happy to start.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Thank you, Joanna.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you. I would just say that I think the policy [staff is] developing a bit endeavor, both technologically and content-wise, and moving forward, [inaudible] where we might get a chance to talk face-to-face and figure out where we want to take it, I suggest [inaudible] with the [inaudible] program that ICANN has implemented—the name escapes me—but [inaudible] entire rearrangement of the ICANN website. I have made suggestions and [inaudible] into that. So, I'm looking forward to talking to Maureen, Jonathan, and [inaudible] all the grounds and technical terms of where we want to take it. It very much depends on our technical ability to coordinate this [inaudible]. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you for that, Joanna. So, what we've got here on the topics for discussion, therefore, was the EPDP subsequent procedures, the DNS abuse, [inaudible]. Joanna's, Holly's. So, Jonathan, was there anything else that has actually been raised, say, within the CPWG that might be added to the list of policy issues that ... I mean, I know that there have been some key issues that—I mean, I'm not quite sure whether you wanted to take them to ICANN 67 as well. But is there anything that stands out for you that we need to add to this list to make sure that we include some time for it?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Well, what I think is evolving, Maureen—and this is still just in my own head—is that I think that we’re going to try to make DNS abuse part of everything that we do, every comment we make. So, I think there’s always room to talk more about it, to hopefully have feedback from the Board by then, have a session with compliance and the contracted parties to really dig into ... One of the things we recommended is that the two of them get together. We can convene that discussion to figure out whether or not they’ve got the capabilities they need, and if they don’t, then we need to get them to compliance, etc.

I feel like it’s a great thing for the At-Large to own. So, I think we should be a broken record about it as a result. DNS abuse, DNS abuse, DNS abuse. And bring it up in every context, every time there’s a contract up for comment, every time there’s the subsequent procedures discussion we make that the thing that we’re most jumping on, kind of, so that everybody is sick of hearing about it from us. I think that that would be a really good brand for us to be really on top of DNS abuse. That’s just a thought.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

So, during our working sessions, do you think we should actually have something that’s an introduction to the topic, for example, so that ... Especially for our own members and our own community to get that driven into them, so that when Joanna does her session when it’s included into the bigger picture with the panel, that a lot of our members will get up and actually push it as part of the—

JONATHAN ZUCK: Maybe. I can try to coordinate with Joanna about how much of the basics she's planning to cover in this. She's, if I understand correctly, trying to take a lot of this and put it into context. But maybe it's worth telling people what it is and really looking into what the impact is on individual end users so that we tie ourselves to it as the At-Large in a significant way.

So, I don't know how duplicative that is with what Joanna is doing, but I know that there's a lot of work to be done on DNS abuse and that we're not satisfied with the status quo of compliance and the way it's going. We're not satisfied with the contracted parties and what they're doing. There's just a lot of opportunity for us to be either convening meetings with people our doing training of our own people, etc., on this topic, so that everybody feels ownership over it.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yep. And I think if we're looking at the ownership thing for At-Large, I think there needs to be a special session during the [Saturday/Sunday] thing as an introduction to it, and as you say, work in with Joanna so that we're actually giving them the training that they all need to actually understand how it fits into the bigger picture. That makes sense to me.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. Let's plan on doing that then.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Gizella, [add it].

JONATHAN ZUCK: Did I just take that on? Am I giving that presentation?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, you are.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Okay. All right.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: So, I'll look and see whether or not it should just be more or if I should get an expert to join me or something like that but I'll take that on.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, exactly. Thank you. I can hear somebody trying to get a word in.

JOANNA KULESZA: It's me. It's Joanna. I'm trying to get a word in, if that's okay.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yes. I can [inaudible] hand up. I'll have Joanna first since she can't put her hand up. Joanna?

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you. Sorry. Thank you very much. Just very briefly. Yes to everything Jonathan has said. I'm going to insist to add cybercrime and cybersecurity to the conversation because DNS abuse is so unclear and it means so much in terms of cybersecurity and cybercrime. If Jonathan might [inaudible] for additional speakers or participants, I'm happy to link with the cybersecurity and cybercrime environment for us to be able to speak about end user interests when it comes to individual online security.

So, yes to everything you said, Jonathan, but I'm going to insist on making the language more approachable and more understandable to the everyday user. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Awesome. And yeah, I think that that conversation that you have with Jonathan and coordinating that is going to be a good ... How we prepare our community for that panel discussion is going to be really helpful for everyone. And thank you, Cheryl, for that [inaudible]. I do remember seeing that now.

So, anything more on that? Is there anything more on ... I think we're actually sort of touching on the important policy areas for us and that's really good.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes? Sorry, I didn't see your hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry. I put into the chat that, given the broad interest of this topic across ICANN, if we should build this session a round table. I believe That Joanna's was going to be a roundtable as well but I think this one might be as well and make it open to everyone and really invite everyone of interest and have other speakers as well to give it a broader view. Jonathan, sorry to impede, but I think this is such an important topic and the session [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK: Oh, it is. I mean, the whole community is talking about it, so you're absolutely right. I think we have a lot of roundtables in our future. I guess what we're getting at is an At-Large ownership of the issue that involves kind of indoctrinating—educating, indoctrinating—our own about what the key issues are, so that people come away with talking points about it, etc., and that those talking points are specific to individual end users and why this is something that At-Large is attempting to carry the banner for.

So, I guess that's really just the issue is making it kind of a free-for-all discussion might not get at that same notion of, "Okay, everybody in this room, we need all of you to take ownership of this issue, so that

when you're walking the halls, they know that At-Large is taking the lead on DNS abuse." I guess that's my ...

So, I think that we'll do lots of roundtables and things but maybe what Maureen was trying to suggest is that early on we get our own people up to speed and conversant in this, including expanding the vocabulary around it, as Joanna said, so that as a group we're speaking from the same script on DNS abuse generally but our role in it specifically, if that makes sense.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah. Perfect. Cheryl, I see your hand up or was that—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

It was very brief. No, no, you weren't going crazy this time. No. It's just that Jonathan, basically, you said what I was going to say, that I think getting some of the basics and the hymn book written, so to speak, is what you were referring to and that certainly makes me slot it into the agenda for the meeting.

Jonathan, I'm not sure that that means you can't if perhaps you [inaudible] this meeting up even more, also [inaudible] another roundtable on the topic. I think there's merit in both sides, but unlike the general design of doing this with topics in general and this one in particular to get some interest.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Yeah. I'm happy to do both but I think what we're saying is that Cancun ... We can even host a roundtable if there's time in the schedule. To answer your question in the chat, Heidi, I think if there's time to do both, we can do both. But what I think Maureen is after and I think it makes sense is that early on we do an education [inaudible] vocabulary establishment per Joanna, etc., so that we're putting the hymn book together. And then if there's time later in the meeting to organize a round table as an expression of our ownership of this topic, I think that would be awesome as well.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's great. For me, that's perfect. What I wanted to look at, too, is what is actually happening. What is actually happening with other areas, other constituency groups and things like that, that some of our guys might be interested to go to during the week? So, what we're actually looking at in our [Saturday/Sunday] policy session is also getting them up to speed with what's important to other communities so that when they're actually going to some of those sessions that we might direct them to also, if it's important to us, so that they actually get up to speed and can understand what is actually going on, so that the actual meeting itself is more meaningful to them. Just turning up just out of interest but without actually having a little bit of background.

So, it does mean a better work in finding out what is on top for some of the other communities or what is on top for the general programs, the main scheduling program, for ICANN, that we could be making sure that when our At-Large members—especially those who don't come to an ICANN meeting very often, but if they're available during the Saturday

and Sunday sessions with us, especially I'm looking at the LACRALO Board for example. I suggested to Sergio he doesn't plan anything for those two days but that the board members actually are—many of them who are new are able to attend those sessions and hopefully learn more about how ICANN works, too, so that when they have time to go to the ordinary program during the week, it actually makes sense to them. They're not just sitting there in the [inaudible] way that we normally are in our first ICANN meeting, that there is something that they can connect to because they've been introduced to it in our sessions.

So, I think that I go a long way with that for making sure that what we're actually providing in our policy sessions and just about everything we do on the Saturday and Sunday, it actually adds some value to how they interact during the week for the rest of the meeting. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Sorry. Just to clarify now, great suggestions. Loved Cheryl's idea of having this be complementary, Jonathan's and Joanna's sessions. But just to clarify for Jonathan's, it sounds like we're going to now have one session on the weekend for At-Large to get everyone on the same hymn sheet, and then have—and we'll call that a policy session on DNS abuse and cybersecurity and then have a roundtable later in the week on the same topic in addition to Joanna's. Is that correct?

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I'm offering to do that and asking whether that's something that we would like to do. I guess I wasn't demanding to do it, but I'm offering to

do both. I was just speaking to the notion of it being essential to do the one that's just us at the outset and then we could do the other one in addition if there's space on the schedule.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I mean, the other option would be to do a webinar prior to get everyone on the same page within At-Large. Gisella, I think there's time to do both, right? I mean, we're really coasting on these topics. Go ahead, Gisella.

GISELLA GRUBER: Sorry, Heidi, to interrupt. We could probably fit both in. If I understand correctly, the session over the weekend, policy session more At-Large focused, and then Joanna's session during the week. Correct?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, so two on DNS—one on the weekend, one on the policy session to be [inaudible] and cybercrime and cybersecurity, and then a roundtable for Jonathan on that same topic and then I believe one for Joanna as well. Is that correct or am I now too confused?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Jonathan, I'm sort of assuming that, for example, with Joanna's, it's a more holistic one and that it includes lots and lots of different sorts of views. And with Jonathan's we're actually maybe an expert, sort of like an expert ... This is the second session, a more open session, but with more experts in that area, which makes it different from the one we had

on the weekend which is looking at, as you said, the vocabulary—all those sorts of really, the basics of it, moving toward experts and then moving into the wider field of Joanna's. Is that the progression that we're looking at? DNS abuse, DNS abuse, and DNS abuse.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I feel like I should coordinate with Joanna to make sure that I'm not stepping on what she's trying to do.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. All right.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I think the idea, though, for a second session might be to take some aspect of it and make it less of an overall thing where everybody just is complaining about it and we take, for example, one particular type of DNS abuse or we try to convene the conversation with compliance and contracted parties and we ask the question, "What tools does compliance need and do they have them?" because the contracted parties believe that compliance has tools they're not using. Off the record, compliance says they don't have the tools they need.

And one of our recommendations to the Board was that the two of them should get together and work that out. What tools do they have, what tools do they need, etc.? And we can potentially be the ones to convene that meeting.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I don't know. So, we could choose some particular aspect or a particular type of abuse and drill, deep dive into it, because I think it's the kind of thing where we'll be talking about it for the next few years. So, what that second session might be, to not step on what Joanna's trying to do, is a deep dive into one particular aspect of DNS abuse and what can be done about it, what are the issues, where do we get the data? All those different aspects that kind of cross a lot of issues across the ICANN community.

I think I've mentioned this before, but what's happening now in schools in the United States is that, in addition to your regular topics, there's some things like writing and public speaking that are expected to be taught across the curriculum. In other words, there's writing lessons as part of your history class and public speaking lessons as part of your comparative government class, etc. So, there's these overall sort of skills things that cross the current, if you will. That's what's happening in high schools.

In a way, thinking about DNS abuse that way, that says this is something that kisses and touches a bunch of aspects and constituencies inside of ICANN that we try to figure out, like what is the DNS abuse thread that goes through these four constituencies and we get those people in the room or something like that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I'm glad to be catching up to the Australian education model. Thank you, Cheryl.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, right. I think that this is actually developing into something that ... And this could be the theme for At-Large at this meeting and it would be really good that we can actually have something that shows what is important to us and how much we're prepared to go forward on it. And I think, based on what we've been discussing there, [inaudible], Jonathan and Joanna working together on that and making that second one more specific as we've just discussed.

Okay. Then, moving down to the specific groups. As I said, we are very fortunate to be able to go to—Jonathan, Joanna, and I ... I hope you guys have organized ... Joanna, I think we were trying to organize your travel. I hope that's been done now.

JOANNA KULESZA: Yes, it has. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Great. To be able to be together and we can really have good conversations with our other SO/AC chairs. Is there anything else on

that then, on the key issues? I think we've had a good threshing of that one.

Would the LACRALO Board ... I mean, I don't know too much ... I've just had cursory discussions with Sergio about what he wanted to do, and fortunately we have been able to change his original ideas which was to take them on their own for the Saturday and Sunday with all the LACRALO ALAC members that kind of stuff.

So, we've been able to sort of change that but I think that, given that LACRALO had issues in the past with their governance body, their leadership body, I think it's really important that we support what this whole new initiative that they've got. They're trying to get all their board members together at this meeting and it seems opportune to be able to do that, if at all possible, and they will be, as I said, if we can get them matched up with people that they can ask questions with, sort of like little mentors during the Saturday and Sunday session as well, it just will make them more informed about At-Large and what's important to us. And they'll certainly know about DNS abuse at the end of it. But that they will be able to hold sessions during the week and we have offered them the use of the ALAC room when we're not using it to hold their sessions with any experts that they may want to bring along as part of their training session.

So, that's about as much as I know. Heidi, has there been anything else? Or any of the other staff, is there anything else that has actually been raised with regards to the Board sessions—their Board sessions—during the ICANN 67?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Gisella, Silvia, and I are going to be discussing the details of that, but as we've agreed earlier, we're going to make sure that they do stay with At-Large on the weekend, and that on Monday-Tuesday, fit into their own. We're going to [inaudible] makes us more of a high-profile board. We're going to get hopefully some board members going to these sessions. They'll at least be Latin America board members. And make sure that they do get their time with At-Large as well. So, we'll get back to you on that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Yeah. I think it's important that ... I know that, with LACRALO, they've had their working groups working on policy issues as well as other organizational issues and it would be really important if they had a session with Jonathan and Joanna with capacity building, with Daniel, just so that they're actually up with the [inaudible] with policy and outreach, engagement, capacity building—those key areas that are important to At-Large, just so that LACRALO does have a tendency to get a little bit off track sometimes.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen, we have Sergio with his hand raised.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Sergio? Sorry, I don't see Sergio's hand raised, but yes, Sergio? We have translation, don't we? Yes, we do.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: First of all, Happy New Year for all of you. It's a pleasure to listen to you again after the holiday season. I would like to do some kind of update about the LACRALO Board meetings.

You know that we had undergone a quite complex process in our region. Now we're back on due course after [inaudible] and after some kind of work that we have been doing from the leadership, the new leadership, at the LACRALO [in recent times].

Then we have what we call a board. But this is really new in terms of these additional organization of the Latin American and the Caribbean region. We may highlight there are some policy board members. This is what we call the extended leadership. There was a chair and a secretariat but now we have a chair, a chair-elect, a secretary, and a secretary [inaudible], ALAC members and the various policies, board members or directors that are working in this region.

So, now that we have this new organization and these additional terms, and with the inclusion of new assets that were not participating in the region—in the case of the chair-elect and the secretary-elect, they will be chairs and secretary [inaudible] in 2021, that [inaudible] they are working as chair-elect and secretary-elect during this term—just two persons in this case, there are many more. But these people are new to us.

So, they are newcomers to ICANN. In some cases, they have participated at some ICANN meetings but not as LACRALO members. Some of them have been fellows. And this is the first time that, on the

one hand, we would be active in ALAC meeting because this is one of purposes of this meeting, but the other objective is to have a strategic plan for the board—not for the LACRALO, but for the Board, and it would be a four-year plan.

So, this is quite interesting because we are thinking about the future operation of this board in the region. So, our colleagues will be traveling on CROP funds, so they will only be attending the meeting for three days and we have to prepare a schedule for those three days because before January 16 we have two [inaudible] application for CROP, so we need a definition—an urgent definition—on which day this meeting will take place.

We have thought about arriving to Cancun on Friday, so as to use half a day at least of activity. Perhaps there may be some room on Saturday, or Sunday of course we would have to participate at all ALAC meetings. And CROP will start on Saturday, even though people will be arriving on Friday and perhaps we may take some hours on Monday. Then there will be no time left for our colleagues that are traveling on CROP funds to stay for the rest of the week. It will be just the members of the region but not the rest of the people traveling on CROP funds.

So, we have to be very precise because we would like to put as much minutes available possible so as to comply with the schedule we are proposing. That's not extremely ambitious but is very focused on what we need to work at.

Next week, the LACRALO Board will be working the whole week because we need to reach some talking points and get [inaudible] still have some

things before Cancun, so that in Cancun we may reach agreements at [inaudible].

So, this was my update. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much for that, Sergio, and it's good to get some understanding of the processes that you're going through. Yes. I understand the difficulties of getting some of the members across and having to use the CROP funding and it would be really good if you could find some way to give them an extra night here so that they're actually getting the full value that they will get out of being with the ALAC and the At-Large working sessions during the Saturday and Sunday and then at least having one or two days to look at individual needs that you might need to deal with.

But I think that, for example, we'll have a chat with you, we'll get information back from Silvia about what is important and we'll try to incorporate that into the Saturday and Sunday sessions so that what actually happens is actually meaningful to your proposed training program for the Board.

So, let's get together and see how we can manage your training needs and incorporate that into the Saturday and Sunday, so that you may, if you have one day with your board and to use the ALAC room for the whole day looking at specifics. I don't think you're going to be able to ... I mean, you can't be expected to carry, to do everything. But at the same time, we need to be able to work together on this. And we'll see what we can do. Heidi, your hand is up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Just to clarify that CROP funding is four days, three nights. So, I believe that they could stay Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday with a departure late on Tuesday. I'm just checking with Joseph on that. But I did want to say that I believe that they would be able to attend four days. So, there would be time Monday and Tuesday for extensive discussions just with the LACRALO board. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. We'll work on that one. Great. Okay. So, moving ahead then, we're looking at ... We've actually looked at the suggested groups and people that we're going to meet. I just have to say I really enjoyed the session with the finance group today, but probably more so because I really like how they presented the documentation. I went through it and just preparing for the FBSC meeting and looking at what we might want to comment on that the session was helpful, but the way in which they've changed their approach to the documentation is really helpful.

Okay. So, are there any other questions or queries or anything that ... Gisella, is there anything that you need us to do moving forward as far as over and above what we've been discussing already?

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. I'm submitting their meeting forms by the end of this week so that our room will be secured for the duration of ICANN 67 and as we are in discussion to confirm and to schedule the LACRALO board meetings, I have already requested that the ALAC room be kept

for the duration of ICANN 67 for ALAC and that no other meetings get scheduled in our room for the entire duration of the meeting.

And once we've confirmed the LACRALO Board meetings and to make sure that we have all the availability slotted in and [inaudible] interpretation, we can then release our room as it stands. And at this stage, the sooner we can get the LACRALO Board meetings finalized, especially if there are any overlapping sessions with any of the At-Large sessions, not necessarily the At-Large leadership development sessions but also an overlap of any of the working groups and/or other meetings, it's important to know that ahead of time or at the earliest just to make sure that we have interpretation for both rooms at the same time. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. Anything else? Right. Okay. So, I think that we've got enough to be working on. The only thing that I actually needed to ask—and of course, with [inaudible] not here, we can't get any feedback on the GAC meetings, the intersessional GAC meeting, that we actually had hoped to have to do some planning about how we might work together at the ICANN meeting on the policy and resource development plus the capacity building that we have been discussing but we just don't seem to be able to make that connection to actually have the meeting. So, we'll need to discuss that with [inaudible] in case he had an update—although if he has, he normally passes that on to us.

But the GAC always ... I mean, they say that they actually want to meet with us and are very, very eager to meet with us but it just never seems

to happen, so we'll have to work a little bit more focused on that. And especially, Joanna, I know that the capacity building has actually been something that they've been very keen to work with us on, so if we can make it happen, I'm sure it'll be great and we can discuss that with Manal in LA as well.

So, no other hands. I'm checking, just checking. No hands up. No other comments, questions. Well, we can close this meeting a few minutes early and have a great day for the rest of the time that you have available. It's the start of my day, so I've got a busy day today. The main highlight for me actually attending the formal opening of the—well, formal connection day today of our cable, the new cable.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible]. Yay!

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, splendid. We might be able to get some decent Internet connections and hopefully more affordable. The government is promising that. So, whether that happens or not ... I keep saying, "Well, what do you mean by affordable?" It's a big day for us on our little island today.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Congratulations, Maureen.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah. Enjoy.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Another thing for the Cook Islands is that because we're quite a popular tourism destination, we've actually reached the point that we're no longer considered developing.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Wow.

MAUREEN HILYARD: We've sort of since developed. So, that does mean that ... It's a huge step for a little island because it's really dependent on something that's ... Tourism. It depends on ... I don't know how many Australian tourists we will get in the next year but when you think of the [inaudible] going to be [inaudible] at home. And Australia is a really big—

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: We'll get the rest of the world there first and they can drop by Australia. If they're in this quarter, they can come and visit us both.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's what I mean. Australia will need it more than us. So, that means that we won't have access to the aid that we have in the past which could be a bit of an issue. So, we've graduated.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's transition time.

MAUREEN HILYARD: We're big people now. The first in the Pacific. Yes, it's a big [inaudible].
So, big day for me today, so don't expect too many [inaudible].

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Go and enjoy it. Revel in it. Revel in it. You enjoy it. Wonderful news.
And tell [inaudible] I am very pleased for her and her department as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Bring photos, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH: You can put it in the APRALO newsletter.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Actually, yeah.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh yeah, definitely. Big, big news. Big news. K

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Looking forward to seeing you and [Pua].

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, get a photo of you and [Pua].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. Actually, I must admit I haven't seen her for ages but she's actually been traveling a bit.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: A bit busy? Yes. All right. All the best to both of you. We need evidence.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Alrighty. I'll and see what I can get. Okay. Thanks, guys. Bye.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Bye. Have a great day.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Bye-bye. Thanks, everyone.

JOANNA KULESZA: Thank you, everyone. Bye.

CLAUIDA RUIZ: Thanks, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]