

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, all. Welcome to the monthly call to the LACRALO Board of Directors, on Monday, November 25<sup>th</sup>, 2019.

On this call today, we have Sergio Salinas Porto on the Spanish channel, Harold Arcos, Adrian Carballo, Humberto Carrasco, and Lilian Ivette De Luque.

On the English channel, we have [inaudible].

We have received apologies from Anahi Menendez.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, who will be the call manager today.

Our interpreters are Claudia and [inaudible].

Before speaking, please say your names so that the interpreters may identify you in the corresponding channels. Please be reminded to mute your mics when not speaking to avoid background noises.

Now I give Sergio the floor.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you very much, Claudia. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening because [Adrian is] in Germany, so perhaps he's in a decent time zone. So, Adrian, thank you very much for being on this call.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

Our agenda is quite busy. Anyway, I see that not everyone is here. Silvia is now at work, so she said she would join after the top of the hour. Carlos [inaudible] is also at work. I don't know whether he would be able to connect to the call because he has to come from the university [inaudible]. Humberto is driving and on the call. That's not good, Humberto, because you're having your cell phone connected and your mind connected to the call.

Having said that, let's approve the agendas. Harold, please? Why don't you read the agenda for today to approve it?

HAROLD ARCOS:

Thank you very much, Sergio. We have the report of each working group director. It's the working group of the [domain names] and its relationship with users, WHOIS and GDPR – that is by Carlos Leal – the multilingual [and universal acceptance] on IDNs (Sylvia Herlein), communications (Lilian De Luque) and capacity building, by Adrian Carballo.

Then we will have the reports of the ALAC members (Carlos Raul Gutierrez and Humberto Carrasco, as well as Sylvia Herlein) on the first experience after Montreal. Number five, we have the Cancun 2020 Board and the next steps of the LACRALO Board.

I don't know if any of you would like to add something else. Or, when we reach that point in the agenda, if you want to add something, we may do so. But is this agenda accepted otherwise?

---

I see no hands up, so the agenda is approved. Let's continue. Thank you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Harold. I welcome you all. We have quite a busy agenda today. As you can see, we contacted each of you to request a brief report on certain topics. We are starting this [tenure] because there has been a change of authorities – of leaders, I would say – so we have to close the metrics for the past leadership. On December's call, we would be able to show you the metrics. They will be published for [inaudible] in the region.

Let's start with those who are attending the call, because I know that some of our colleagues are not here on the call with us. [inaudible] that is the IDN and universal acceptance (Sylvia and Carlos Leal) but also with Adrian because Adrian is kind of sleepy. We can see you had a long flight and lots of jet lag. I will welcome Adrian so that Adrian may present his report. Of course, there will be four topics we have defined to be included in this report.

ADRIAN CARBALLO: Thank you very much, Sergio. I would like to apologize because Anahi Menendez was supposed to be on this call, but unfortunately she sent an apology. I'm in Berlin right now, but I wanted to participate on the call so as to give the report for the group. So, despite my jet lag, I will try. I would like to be respectful to all of you. On behalf of then working group, we sent a report. So I will do my best.

---

We are working with generating the capacity building programs, as well as webinars. We have discussed and we have talked with Rodrigo Salcedo on the GSE group to start preparing these webinars once every two months. We're still waiting for [ideas] because there was a person working at ATLAS III Summit and we have been discussing to have this first webinar in the short term.

Sergio, you sent us some questions.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes. I will write them on the chat so that everyone knows what we're talking about. Just give me on sec.

[ADRIAN CARBALLO]: How many members of the working group do we have? Nine. Nine in all. Eight plus me. We are discussing several topics: the workplan for capacity building, together with the ICANN Learn people, and the webinars, trying to create a kind of series with a sequence. We're lagging behind because of a lack of time, but we're discussing with Sylvia to talk together with the person that participated in the ATLAS III Summit so we'll still have the next webinar in December.

SERIO SALINAS PORTO: How many meetings – I don't know if you remember them by heart, but do you have any notes? – did [you] have during the last year?

[ADRIAN CARBALLO]: Once we started with the working groups, I was suddenly not counting. I know there were several meetings because we found out that lots of

---

courses are only in English, or some others aren't really focused on the current topics. People from ICANN Learn were also requesting us to tell them what are the courses or the training we want to provide in more than language, not only in English, even though we have been told that its intention is to do some translations. [99%] of the courses are in English, which excludes a large population.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: What are the subjects you are discussing right now in the working group?

ADRIAN CARBALLO: As I said, we are discussing capacity building. One of the courses should be in Spanish for the rest of the members of the Board and any other person willing to participate in the working groups to be as diverse as possible. I don't like to bore you, but we have a list of 40 topics. Of course, we have to [clean] them up so as to start with what is relevant.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: We have to think, Adrian, that this capacity building program will be in Spanish and French, so [inaudible] as well. This is a special training course. It would not be just the capacity building by ICANN Learn. Even though it may be quite similar, we're going to have a coach working with us. But instead of working three days, we'll be working from now until reaching that day. In Cancun, we are going to have only one working space. The Board will be working the whole summer with [inaudible] with colleagues. We have build up leader so it'll be the

---

leaders working group. I know that you're working on that with Jose. Jose will be one of the coaches. He has a license for that. So we [note] what we are working. Zero cost for ICANN [inaudible]. So we welcome that work.

I want to add something more. How many in the working group are working on ALAC's working groups?

ADRIAN CABALLO:

Well, the idea is that most of them may work on ALAC's working groups, but they are focused on capacity building. And we're working with them: Marita, Monica [Troches], Anahi Menendez, and myself. I think there are some articles where some of the members should be working on some others. Today we are focused on capacity building.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

I will be repeating this time and again during the whole call, but I want to stress – just give me on sec because ... Can somebody send to Jose Arce the Zoom link?

ADRIAN CARBALLO:

Yes, of course.

HAROLD ARCOS:

I will send it right now, Sergio.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I talked about this with you, with Lillian. When we were together, we discussed this topic. But it's really very important that we empower our colleagues because there have been some examples in the past in our region. I think that Humberto started breaking the wall. Previously, as we said in Argentina, there were people doing everything. They were doing everything for the region to be [present], but there was only one person who [tried to be present]. So the best we can have is that each colleague may have one responsibility. Whatever. It's not good if we do it otherwise.

We also need that our colleagues work at ALAC. Carlos Raul wants to join. Can you send some link to Carlos Raul, please? We need our colleagues to go ALAC, to contribute to ALAC, with a Latin-American perspective because, otherwise, we will be working in isolation. We must be in synch with ALAC. So, first of all, we should talk to our colleagues [inaudible]. I found out that they are not read. We have WhatsApp with our colleagues. So let's try, one by one, to move forward, to explain, to ask them why they are not participating and try and seek their active participation within our working group, first of all.

Then, in that working group, once they know something that is already discussed in ALAC, we can also discuss it in the region because ALAC needs urgently our presence. We should give our perspectives as Latin America, our opinion as Latin America, our views. So please call each of your colleagues, talk to them. [inaudible] should work in LACRALO. From there, they should go to ALAC.

Thank you very much, Adrian, for your time. Now I see that Carlos is here. Carlos, are you on the call? Carlos Leal, I mean.

---

Carlos, are you on the call?

CARLOS LEAL: Yes, I'm here. I don't know if you can hear me.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can. Welcome. Sylvia is going to be late for this call. She will arrive really late. So, if you wouldn't mind, I would like to ask you just to give us a review of the status of the work in the WHOIS and GDPR working groups. They are working together.

CARLOS LEAL: Good evening to you all. I should refer to the WHOIS and GDPR working groups. We are working in a coordinated manner with Sylvia. We are going to conduct a study on the main domain names in the region. We are going to have an analysis of the top 100 domain names used in our country. This is a proposal and we will have to go step by step. We will have to address this in stages. We are putting together the team and the proposal. We had a good idea before the Montreal meeting and we will try to put it in effect as soon as possible.

This is a very quick overview. They are a lot of people who are interested in this. A lot of people have shown their interest in participating in this work, and we would like to [surprise] the ICANN community.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Carlos. I don't know if I should ask these questions to you, but perhaps Harold can answer them. Harold, please let us know what is



---

the current status of the working group in terms of number of people, number of meetings, topics that are being discussed. Carlos Leal has already mentioned the topics they are discussing, but what about the work with the ALAC working groups? Can you give us some more information about that, please?

Harold, are you there?

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me now?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can. Go ahead, Harold.

Go ahead, Harold.

Harold, are you there?

I think he dropped from the call.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: The operator is telling us he's still on the call.

HAROLD ARCOS: Can you hear me now? It was my mic, I think.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can hear you now. Go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS:

As Carlos has already told you, these groups have been discussing the topics. Some of the members have technical expertise and there are some members who are also participating in other groups on issues related to domains. WHOIS and GDRP have been the main topics [raised] by these groups.

Specifically about the group, Dr. Pisanty and Jose Arce, and Antonio Medina are three of the eight members who have been attending these meetings. But they are not necessarily full members of the group. So it would be interesting if at least the new members would bring them into the group or bring them on board as observers so that they can have a closer follow-up on the discussions of these topics. Perhaps that would be my recommendation.

We need to remember that Carlos and Sylvia Herlein are also working on projects related to IDNs and multilingualism and universal acceptance. If you want, when we come to that point in the agenda, I can talk more about that and specifically about universal acceptance.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Harold. One more item here. Let me check who's next. Lilian? Lilian is here on the call. Good evening, Lilian. How are you? Can you please give us your report?

LILIAN DE LUQUE:

Good evening to you all. Good evening, Sergio. As far as your question, in my group there are ten participants, including myself. We have held

---

---

two meetings, one in July and another one in September. We have drafted a couple of documents – a work plan, to be specific – and I have recently sent out an e-mail announcing the start of a new phase in this working group. It would be ideal to have everybody participating at the same level. But, unfortunately, that is not the case. So we need to reach out to each of the participants individually in order to encourage each of them to take a more active role in the working group.

I know there are some participants in the group who are also members of the Social Media Working Group in the ALAC and are also working on the communications team in the engagement team. So now that we have completed the initial stages according to our plan earlier this, we wanted to focus on social media, the relationship with ALSes. We have already done all that, and this is working quite well.

There is a low level of participation in some cases. I'm sure there are reasons for that. This is not something exclusive to this group or to LACRALO. We have seen also this situation in other working groups. Everybody registers for the group but then they don't take an active role. So people need to be encouraged to do more.

As I was saying, we are planning to move into a new phase. We want to extend and improve our relationship and our interaction with other groups within ICANN. We believe that we can have significant introductions. We have already identified the At-Large working groups, like the social media and communications working groups. We have also identified the team for Latin America with Alejandra, the lead. Then we also have the universal acceptance group. I have set out to make sure

---

that they will take into account Latin America for every project and every work they do.

In the field of universal acceptance, Latin America has a very important role. I have already formally asked that team to allow us to join them as a local initiative. We have volunteered our help and our assistance in whatever they may need.

In the e-mail that I have recently sent out, I'm making an invitation to everyone to share their knowledge, their expertise, in this new phase. We want to take advantage of all the communication tools that exist within At-Large in order to communicate and convey what LACRALO is doing.

Basically, that would be my report, Sergio. We are at the beginning of a new phase. We are trying to strengthen our strategy. We are trying to establish closer relationships with people and encourage them to participate more. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Lilian. I have some experience in encouraging or motivating people. According to my experience, when you work at a small scale at an individual level, you can get very good results. So keep up with these efforts. It is good that you have sent out an e-mail because we need to keep all our communications documented.

My suggestion is that you establish a one-to-one communication with each of them, just a few lines sent out individually, to encourage their participation. I'm sure that you will have better input from them.

---

Anyway, we have made a lot of progress, considering where we started at and what we are doing now. Of course, we haven't yet reached the level that we aspire to reach, but I'm sure that we are on the right path to raise the region's voice everywhere.

LILIAN DE LUQUE:

Yes, you are right, Sergio. It's not about spending too much time or too much energy. It's just about saying the right words, conveying the right message. We see that efforts are being made.

Thank you, Sylvia, for reminding me. We had a webinar on the fellowship and the NextGen program. That was a very successful webinar. Together with the LACRALO Capacity Building Group, we talk about the possibility of having more of that kind of event. I also spoke with Rodrigo De La Parra about the possibility of working together as a region because it would be very good for us to work together.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you. I'm trying to see if we have some other person in charge of policy except for Jose Arce, but let me make a point here. Actually, we should have discussed this before our LACRALO monthly meeting, but unfortunately we failed to do that. We had the Montreal meeting. Then we had our first LACRALO monthly call. You know that, usually during the first week after the ICANN meetings, we don't have staff available for holding calls. So we weren't able to say this before that call. Jose Arce was the chair of our region once, but now he's taking his first steps in a group that is new to him now. That is the group on domain names

---

and the relationship with users. I'm not going to ask him to answer all these questions but just to make a few comments.

JOSE ARCE:

Well, I joined the call a bit late, so I apologize for that. Of course, I'm committed to that. I've never participated in the ATLAS Summit, neither I or II. I participated in the ATLAS III Summit and it was a very pro-active meeting. I'm willing to lead this topic on domains and its relationship with users.

I wanted to speak about a project regardless of other things that may arise in the future. There is one project right now. That is the capacity building on. I think Sergio's policy is to [take to this one] to those who are certainly not able to receive their training in English to receive that training with the same scope of the same nature as those that can understand English. So I will also work on capacity building course. We will start with the leaders, if I'm not mistaken, Sergio. Then it will be spread throughout the region. Is that right?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Yes. I said something of that sort [on] whether you would be in [an auto]. I was asking for the Zoom link for you. I made that comment about that.

JOSE ARCE:

Do you want me to say something about that project, or should we move forward?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: If you want to say something in that respect, it's good for our colleagues to know. But I want to point out that this project specifically right now, for the members of the LACRALO Board, will be extended to the general assembly in Cancun in 2021. So we should be ready for that because it will be content for everyone. It's not just the training that we are going to give to the members of the Board right now because this is a new stage in LACRALO, but we have to think about it for the future. So, Jose [inaudible].

JOSE ARCE: Taking into account what's happened before with the ICANN Academy, so to speak, because some colleagues cannot have access to that because it's only English-speaking courses, I'm not making any kind of judgement. It just is what it is. Sergio, we thought about let's not criticize the [match] and let's try and generate something [inaudible]. So I think that I have the [prepared] profile for ICANN because I started as Fellow by being in the region as Chair for many, many years. I'm also a university professor for [DP] resolution. I give courses on training, effective communication, what has already been done or was done in ATLAS III, and now I'm getting my international certification as coach. So we will take advantage of this explosive mix. We have more or less what David [Kolb] has: experience at ICANN, experience at our tentative resolution of a [inaudible] mediation, leadership. I want to stress something. I work with [teams.] I have expertise in that. So I want to take this to the region.

---

I think this is a very good proposal. Now, in this new term with Sergio, I think that we will be working in an orderly fashion. The idea is to have a highly-effective team. I'm speaking about volunteers. We're not asking anyone to work more than what they are working. If a few have five minutes, it will be five effective minutes. So the idea is how to leverage that time of volunteers.

We are in the very preliminary version, but I think that in that initial time you will receive some news and you will learn about the problem, apart from the common policies from the domain name system.

So this is it. I think this is the summary, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you very much, Jose. I will tell you how we are going to work in this new tenure. You will have to prepare a report of five or six minutes, just briefing the rest of us about what you're doing. The idea is to work hand-in-hand with our colleagues because they are not reading the e-mails. So, apart from sending the e-mails, because this should be a repository and document the work we do in our region, anyone may get to an e-mail and read whatever may be said orderly. But we have to speak to our colleagues. You have to take the mailing list and the list of the workings groups. I guess Harold should be writing the name of the working group. Sylvia is also saying wikis. Because this is the backbone of our work. We need our colleagues to be active.

On the other hand, we – I'm going to explain what happened with Fatimata Cambroneró – [need] to focus on a topic that is of interest to the community and may generate an impact on ICANN. We should



---

mirror our working groups to ALAC's working groups because ALAC needs a Latin American voice. It's not that I may be speaking. Carlos Raul may be speaking. Humberto may be speaking. Sylvia may be speaking. We need the working groups. We need the users that participate in LACRALO, that participate in our work in ALAC's working groups, giving their opinion from their Latin American perspective. We need that to happen.

There would be a new format, a new method of working. There would be [inaudible] ALAC members because they will be a direct path to ALAC. But, apart from that, we need colleagues working – working internally in the policies that are being discussed in ALAC so as to give a fast response. And the help of ALAC members to make a decision on which will be the position of the region.

There are four of five questions. I don't know whether they are in the chat or not. I will write them down again now in the chat box. I don't know if you can see it or not. These questions that I'm putting in the group chat right now are the questions that I will ask at each of the meetings. How many people are involved? Because we need to go headhunting. There are colleagues that are not discussing any type of policy. We need them to be there to discuss DNS policies. You will meet every two months. So we need, every two months, you to have a place or a date and a time to meet. You have to discuss with the group or mailing list so as to include the wiki and document all our steps. What is interesting is that LACRALO should be [inaudible]. Then how you're participating in ALAC. I know that it seems like a huge amount of work, but it will not be that.

---

I want to give another piece of information. In the Montreal meeting, Fatimata Cambroner, who has not been working with us for a long while, had an idea that was to be involved in the DNS abuse topic. She's in Jose's group, but she is now the one responsible for that or the lead for that.

Hello? I think that Humberto's mic is open.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Yes. Sorry. My speaker was on. I was answering another call.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I will talk to Fatimata. I will try and reach her tomorrow.

JOSE ARCE: I was talking to her. We just wanted to say that, that we talked about this and we said that we will catch up with this topic so as to ... But I want you to know that we have already been in touch.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. So it's your job. Send my regards to her and start working with her, please. What we have to do is to add more people so as to work. Let's pull all our energy there. If we want this to be a working group, it has to work. The members of the Board – those of us that decided to be leaders – manage the time of our colleagues, somehow. We may get onboard on one topic or the other because we're interested in it. But we have to manage the time of the rest of us so that the time that they

---

have to do something should be properly manage so that they do not waste time and they produce something for the region. So let's be focused on that.

Well, there are ten minutes left. I have two ALAC members. I don't know who of you two would like to speak first.

JOSE ARCE:

Silvia Vivanco has her hand up.

SILIVIA VIVANCO:

Do you hear me okay? Because I don't want to take much of your time. I would like to say that all working groups I know are working intensively behind the scenes, if you allow the expression. Please, use the wiki because the wiki is an extraordinary resource so that all of us as staff may know about the progress – all LACRALO members, all ALSes, and all individual members may learn about you're doing so as to also document your ideas. I don't know if you've done any brainstorming. You may document it in the wiki so as to leave evidence that you've been talking about capacity building. So, please, once you have the idea in a draft version, send that draft so that we can see the content, schedule, and what you will require from a logistics perspective. What does it mean? I don't know. Will it be monthly meetings? Will it be in-person meetings and/or teleconferences? Because we need logistics for that and we need to do some sort of strategic planning for everything related to capacity building. Are you talking about working in coordination with ICANN Learn and [inaudible]? In that case, that may be a teleconference schedule. So we may all work in synch. I don't know

---

if that's the idea or not because I think the idea is to use the logistics that we have that is based on ICANN Learn because the ICANN logistics rough infrastructure is here for you to help you. But we need to have a plan so as to make all the requirements in advance. This was my comment.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Silvia. To conclude with this, we have not mentioned anything because this is in the very early stages. Adrian and [me] have to meet because we have to level the field for everyone. This is why we are planning capacity building [session] with our constituency members: as to see whether may arrive one day before the ICANN meetings so as to do an update for all of us [so] the whole of the LACRALO Board may be up to date as to what is happening at ICANN.

We are also discussing this coaching that will take place during southern hemisphere summer time. In March, there will be four or five hours so as to conclude this coaching capacity building training. And there will be some topics related to a strategy for the Board regarding its future work.

It is not closed. We do not want to hide anything from you. You were concerned because of what we were doing, but as a matter of fact, we haven't made any definitions. So this is why we didn't communicate anything. We have been discussing all this for some months, and it's key for us to be successful. It is key to arrive to a safe harbor with everything we have done so far with David. The idea is that this would be a school for us [and] the Board. So we want to lay the foundation of

---

how the Board of Directors should work, how its leaders should work from this position. But we need, first of all, to understand some things and to see some other things working.

So what I said in Montreal when I spoke about academia, perhaps this was misunderstood. I know that perhaps I'm [tough] when I say some things, but I think that some of us are left aside of that training. And we had some other scheme, that certainly LACRALO cannot turn around the academics because we have Latin America and we need to be stronger. Otherwise, Harold and me are leaving in 2021, and this may work okay or this may not work. I would like it to work well, as a matter of fact. This is why we're targeting that. The idea is to have your support and the support of everyone around us to be successful. This is it.

I know, Harold, that your hand is up, but we have a few minutes left. So I would like to work with the ALAC members. Or is it something that you should say right now?

HAROLD ARCOS:

No. Just before giving the floor to the ALAC members, let me make a point about universal acceptance. I just wanted to give you an update on the work that has been recently done by this group.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

I'm sorry. I couldn't understand what you said because somebody interrupted me here. Could you repeat?

---

HAROLD ARCOS: Just to conclude with the working group reports, I just wanted to make a few comments about the universal acceptance work done in Montreal and after Montreal.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Okay. What is it that you want to say?

HAROLD ARCOS: I just wanted to say for the record that we have the presentation of the local initiative. In that session talking about local initiatives, the Latin-American/Caribbean project was highlighted with the added value that this would be the first experience that will serve as a basis for other RALOs.

For the next meeting in Cancun, they are expecting to provide there the preliminary results of the first phase of the project, working together with Carlos Leal, with the technical team, and with the participants from the two technical groups: the Universal Acceptance Group and [the one] Sylvia is supporting.

Then, something that you are already aware of is the project which we started making contact with the ccTLDs for. This is a result from a meeting that we had in Montreal with Nacho Estrada, the Chair.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I was about to make a few comments along the lines.

---

HAROLD ARCOS: Okay. So that would be all on my side.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Silvia, before we conclude this call, can we have a few more minutes on this call? Can we go over the time?

CLAUDIA RUIZ: I will ask the interpreters.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I don't know if Harold or Humberto or Carlos would like to tell us a little bit of what is happening with the ALAC working groups.

Harold, can you please put down your hand?

HAROLD ARCOS: I can give the floor to Carlos.

CARLOS GUTIERREZ: I just wanted to say that the ALAC call that usually takes place during the first week of the month was postponed until the third week of the month. However, we are going to have a smaller call in the week of December the 2<sup>nd</sup> with David Olive. This is closely related to what Sergio was explaining to us. The entire organization in LACRALO and the whole of ICANN want working groups to work more actively on policy-related issues. Of course, this implies additional resources and we have made a request for resources.

---

So, next week, we are going to have a meeting with David Olive, and he's going to explain to us the proposal that ICANN can make to us in terms of resource availability so that we can work more effectively. We are talking about substantial resources.

When we have the ALAC call on the week of the 16<sup>th</sup>, I'm sure that we will be able to give more details about our own meetings. We need to work not only before the Cancun meeting but in the next 15 days so that, when the ALAC meets on the week of the 16<sup>th</sup>, we can clearly convey that we have a clearly defined plan following the direction established by ICANN so that people can do more policy work and we can have access to more resources.

This is just a summary now, but we will have more details in the coming weeks. Thank you, Sergio.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTA: Thank you, Carlos. I have a question. Have you already decided whether you are going to work in any specific area within then ALAC working groups? Just to have an idea of the connections that we can establish with our own working groups in order to have two-way communication.

CARLOS GUTIERREZ: I'm an active member. Given my [recent staff] of the Consolidated Policy Working Group that meets on a weekly basis, I really advise you to listen to those discussions there. We work on all issue related to policy. This is a group that became consolidated a few months ago. In that group, we are trying to keep track of all the policy work being done



---

within ALAC. It is there where we are trying to develop an agenda with special issues, such as the public interest registry agenda. We requested a specific call to discuss that topic in particular. To be more organized, there is in that group two chairs: Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Jonathan Zuck, both with a lot of experience in policy work. They will play a key role in shaping this process within the ALAC. That is the group where I am fully participating on a weekly basis.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Carlos. You anticipated what I was about to ask you or what I was about to say. It is very important for all Board members to participate in these meetings. It shouldn't be just Carlos Raul, Humberto, and myself. Perhaps we can turn. We need to add everyone in those meetings because there they talk about the meat of the issues. It is very good for us to be present there to know what the current position is and what is the future direction.

Before giving the floor to Humberto, just another announcement. We met with Nacho Estrada in Montreal. We are planning to do some work within the IDNs Working Group. We are going to see how we can promote the acceptance of the [N] with the [tielder] that is used in the Spanish language and also with the [sedeel]. Those are the two letters that we are going to try to promote acceptance for. This will imply a deeper type of work with LACTLD. So please pay attention and be on the alert because we are going to talk with the ccTLDs precisely to discuss and to try to probe how this is now currently being addressed in the region.

---

As you know, there are some that accept all characters or Latin characters, and others just accept the ASCII characters that only have the Anglo-Saxon characters.

Humberto, now, if you are in line, we can give you the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Do I have the floor, Sergio?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes.

Humberto, we cannot hear you.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Am I having some problems with my audio? Can you hear me now?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, we can.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: In the working group that is going to work on training, there was a proposal, although it has not been ratified. It has to do with the liaisons. There was a proposal from an ALAC member that [that] is sending a vote in the near future. Based on our discussions with Sylvia and Carlos Raul, we were going to deploy a strategy and we are going to have a meeting with David Olive in December to see what the requirements for nomination ...

---

INTERPRETER: The interpreters apologize, but Humberto's audio was chopped.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Humberto. We are already over time now. I don't know if there are any requests for the floor, but just let me say that we will have to make some adjustments to our agenda. Probably I will call you individually during the week in order to discuss a few topics. Probably we will put together a communication strategy. I will talk with some ALAC members to see how we can proceed with communications. Please read the e-mails that you receive from the Board of Directors because, although we may have these short calls, these small meetings, we also need to have some more time to discuss at length certain topics. So please keep up with you e-mails.

I don't see our Vice-Chair connected now, but probably we will set up a meeting including Harold, Carlos, Daniel, and myself to establish some priorities. That is because two years may elapse very quickly. So we have to make sure that we get to the end of our term in good shape to lead the region in the future. So we need to keep an eye on what the ALAC is doing and see what are the connections with our work.

We have exceeded our time by ten minutes. I think that now it is time to bring this call to a close, unless there is someone who wants to make a comment.

I don't see any hands raised, so I would like to say goodbye to all of you. We'll keep in touch. Good night to you all.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**