

---

YEŞİM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the ICANN67 Planning Committee Call taking place on Wednesday 4<sup>th</sup> of December 2019 at 15:00 UTC. On our call today on the English channel we have Maureen Hilyard, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Daniel Nanghaka, Yrjö Lansipuro, Barrack Otieno and Dave Kissoondoyal. And on the Spanish channel we have Sergio Salinas Porto. We haven't received any apologies for today's call, but we were informed that Tijani Ben Jemaâ will be joining us slightly late.

And from Staff side we have Heidi Ullrich, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar. And I see that Jonathan Zuck has just joined us as well. As you know, we have Spanish interpretation for today's call and our Spanish interpreters are Paula and Veronica. And before we start just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking, not only for the transcription but also for the interpretation purposes as well please. And now I would like to lead the floor back to you, Maureen. Thank you very much.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Yeşim. Just getting myself organized here. Okay, so today's Session, although we're getting some planning done already and I think it's sounding quite exciting already so that's cool. So, first of all, I guess it's sort of like making sure what the logistics in relation to the what else is happening at the meeting. And then we'll have a look at what's starting to emerge already for ICANN67. So, is there anything missing? Anyone see if there's anything missing that they want to add

---

or... We're cutting it close, anyway, so that's cool. Gisella, can we start with you? Thank you.

GISELLA GRUBER:

Thank you very much, Maureen. I do apologize for the background noise. Hopefully everyone can hear me. Welcome everyone. This is Gisella. As we have a few new people on the call, as in with regards to our previous Planning Committees, I'd just like to run through how we usually work for these Planning Committees and what to expect between now and March. Just bear with me one second. I'm going to send a slide deck to the... It's freezing. There we go. That's better. Now you can hear the seagulls.

So, what generally happens with the Planning Committee for the ICANN Public Meetings is, like we have done now, we set up the Planning Committee. We have calls, we usually try and have them weekly between now and the finalization of the Agenda. And in the meantime, there's discussion on the email as well as the Skype chat that I've set up earlier today. If we could maybe start... Thank you very much Yeşim.

What you can see on the Zoom Room for those who are on Zoom is the ICANN67 Wiki Page which is what we call the one stop shop, where we will have the Agendas posted, the templates for the ICANN67 presentations, venue maps, the questions for the Board and the GAC, etcetera. And then Yeşim, if we could kindly go on to the next part of the Agenda please.

We will just go on to the Production Calendar. This is something that Tanzania King sends out and she sends it essentially to the SO/AC

---

Chairs Mailing List, and I have seen that Maureen has forwarded it, and I have forwarded it to the Planning Committee as well to give you an idea of the discussions that are held on that mailing list. And more importantly as we have the deadline today for the topics for the Plenary Sessions, better known as the High Interest Topics or Cross Community Sessions in the past.

As you can see on the production line, we were due to have a call tomorrow for the SO/AC Chairs with ICANN's Meeting Committee and that has now been postponed until the 12<sup>th</sup> of December. You may have seen that I sent out an email with regards to the topics for the High Interest Topics for the Plenaries for ICANN67 and I'm sure that Maureen will touch on this later. As, again, a reminder that the submission deadline is today.

And on this chart you will see the various deadlines, and I've also put one important one there, which is the At-Large Meeting Forms which will be submitted between the 2<sup>nd</sup> and the 8<sup>th</sup> of January. So, this does leave us about six weeks to get initial Block Schedule going. And with regards to Block Schedule, as I may have said in the past, is it's fairly easy to book up the ALAC Room for the duration of ICANN67 and I will submit the Meeting Forms to do that, and then we still have January and to mid-February to be able to build on the Agenda. And the main item there is to make sure that we get the titles of the Sessions more accurate so that people can go onto the main ICANN67 Website Schedule and choose their Sessions with a little indication in the title of what the Session is about. Thank you very much, Yeşim.

---

That is the ICANN67 Block Schedule. Please note this is very much a draft version. It hasn't yet been posted on the ICANN67, what I call the Community Wiki, which is something that ICANN's Meetings Team keeps updated and where they will be posting the Block Schedule as and when it is amended. So, this is the very first version that was presented in Montreal at the Kick Off Meeting on the last day, on the Thursday, and I will be building our Block Schedule around that and sending it around, no doubt, to assist everyone in a Google document.

And we will then slowly build the At-Large Agenda around that. And there are already quite a few Sessions that are in there, for instance the three Plenaries, and we also already have the timing for the Board and ALAC Meeting on Wednesday at 15:45. We also see that the Welcome Ceremony is currently on Monday in the last block, followed by the Gala. But again, this is very much a draft format and like the previous times, it may very well change as the Welcome Ceremony is put in the morning. So, also open but I will build our Block Schedule around it.

As I've said, we'll be having calls weekly. If we could have at least another two before the holiday break, and then we'll probably have one the first week when everyone is back in January to make sure that I can submit all the forms before the 8<sup>th</sup> of January. And that's all from me. Thank you, Maureen, back over to you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Hello, Maureen? Maureen, if you're speaking, you're on mute.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, yes. Sorry, sorry. I was on mute. But I was just changing my headset because Yeşim said she couldn't hear me very well. Is it better now?

YESIM NAZLAR: Yes, Maureen. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Absolutely.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay, great. Thank you. Okay, so that gives everyone an idea of the sort of thing that Gisella will be dealing with once we start getting ourselves organized with regards to what inputs we might have into our own schedule during the meeting and having to try and coordinate it with everybody else's programs as well.

And just mentioning as Gisella did, the High Interest Topics that we were requested to put forward, I think in the past the SOs have actually been the main presenters of ideas and they... I think that what we've just done is basically supported the ideas that they have put forward. And I think that's probably what we might do, what's on top for them is probably of more input. So, that's something that we'll be working on as more information comes from the SO/AC Meetings that we have. And as Gisella said, we're going to have a meeting next week.

Okay, so moving on therefore, looking at what's been raised already, and I think that we'll just go through the items that we have here. I think one of the first things that we should look at is the Talking Points.

---

Now, I find these really, really valuable, but let's have a little chat about them and how you perceive how we will maintain these moving on. Jonathan, have you got any ideas on any developments on how we do these and how they're developed, etcetera?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, can you hear me okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, we can.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yeah, I don't know. I think that what I need to do to really get buy in is try to start them earlier and part of the problem is that we try to base them on the Sessions that are going to take place there, and maybe part of it is about being aggressive with the schedule with Joanna to get some of the platform done so that we eliminate some of the debate by voting on topics and things like that.

And then making presentations on the call to give people an opportunity to object to particular Talking Points or modify them, etcetera, because very few people edit them when they're just put in on the Wiki Space and then find that the right time to criticize the Talking Points is the morning of the ICANN Meeting, which is when it's least helpful. So, I guess I'll try to do them a little bit sooner and if we have some sense of some of the Plenaries that are already happening, then we can already start vetting our Talking Points. Maybe that's the key, is vetting them on the CPWG Call.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, yeah. I mean, I think that, as you say, they've been directed at the High Interest Topics and just keeping people informed so that they're aware of what the At-Large perspective is on particular topics. And I guess that people who are on the, that they'll arise, too, out of the discussions that are held at the CPWG about various issues. But, I don't know, I guess does anyone have any other ideas about what it is that they would like to have Talking Points on when they're at a meeting?

I see the point of it, the High Interest Topics, and I also see the point on some of the issues that we're going to be discussing within our, starting to build in our own Sessions, taking Joanna's later suggestion, there are people within the membership who won't know too much about those areas. And yet, the Talking Points would actually just give them that introduction to what it is that we're actually trying to achieve within At-Large in relation to those areas. So, no other views on how we might progress with this? Okay, that's okay. Early days.

JONATHAN ZUCK: This is Jonathan. I guess some of it is that they don't all need to have Talking Points, some of it is just background information.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes.

JONATHAN ZUCK: So, it's like a little briefing or something like that.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD:            Yeah.

JONATHAN ZUCK:            Back when I ran a trade association, we would give people a packet of materials on the different topic issues that had a little background and then what our Talking Points were so that the following day when we took them up on Capitol Hill, they had a sense of what their Talking Points were. But, so we can start thinking about it like that. But it could also be that it's inevitable that even if we have consensus that Sébastien will still object on the day of or whatever, there's no way around that. But we can do what we can to build consensus around the points through PowerPoint presentations on the CPWG Call.

MAUREEN HILYARD:            Great, great.

JONATHAN ZUCK:            I have a question, though. Is this possible for us to have Closed Sessions?

MAUREEN HILYARD:            Closed Sessions? Within our... Yeah, I don't know. We haven't had them before. Why?



---

JONATHAN ZUCK:

I mean, I feel like when the purpose of a Session is for us to discuss something and reach consensus on it, it would be great if it was less polluted by random interested parties that try to intervene, that's all. If we're trying to just kind have our own discussions and develop consensus, then that consensus can sometimes be difficult to reach when there are interested parties that are in the audience or whatever else. But, if you think it's a bad idea we don't need to do it. But I feel like sometimes... Cheryl thinks it's a terrible idea?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Yeah. Oh, I do. I think it's an absolutely appalling idea. Do I understand why we should be having them? Absolutely. But I would however suggest that the time to do is not in a Public Meeting. I would strongly encourage some of this work to not be done when people have flown around the world to gather in hotel rooms.

Trust me, I once held a Closed Session that was actually within a very structured ALAC, you know, one of the early days when we were doing internal work for the ALAC and the ridiculous reactions that happened from within our ranks was spotting, became more than a storm in a teacup. Now, that was way back in the dim dark distant past, but the transparency aspects in Public Meetings now are highly sensitive to anything that has a 'C' next to it and [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK:

And yet they exist. The IPC has them, the DC has them, I mean, people have closed meetings in Public Meetings.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Yeah, but they're not Advisory Committees. No. I mean, they're usually subcomponent hubs of the highly narcissistic aspects of the GNSO. You know, find something that has 'C' next to it that isn't out of a GNSO and I'll be very, very surprised because the aspects that seem to have been debated over the years [inaudible].

JONATHAN ZUCK: Well, maybe it could be how we manage the meeting so that we limit participation from outside the At-Large or something like that.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Absolutely. That definitely can happen. That definitely can change. And in fact, our Rules and Procedure allow for that without any question. But however, all I put my hand up for... I mean, the other thing is just have meetings that are so incredibly inconveniently positioned and located [inaudible] as well, have standing room only or something. Anyway. That has all sorts of other issues.

Why I put my hand up however, Jonathan, was to say I love the idea of background briefings as well one way. But there's a bunch of fairly major public comments that will have happened between now and the Cancun Meeting and I would think that where there are some highly likely recommendations coming out of some of these comments, the ATRT [inaudible] for example, we should be able to cherry pick some obvious things that may be then coming out for probable Community

---

discussion and it might be a good idea to try and pick up some of those in the background briefing and Talking Points. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, thank you, Maureen. So, Jonathan, I think on the Talking Points, great idea, the background points, obviously I think that's a brilliant idea whether that's done in a webinar or piece of paper. So, that's great.

On the Talking Points and the concerns that Sébastien has voiced a few times, perhaps if we had either the ALT-PLUS look at them so the RALO Chairs are involved or a combination of the ALT-PLUS and then we ask the RALO Chairs to bring it to their RALOs during the monthly calls. Giving that bottom up process, is what I think is what Sébastien is raising when he brings up those points. So, that's something you might wish to consider, is to bring it to the RALOs and develop them that way. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks Heidi. I mean, the irony of course is that I've never put down a talking point that wasn't something that we had already put in a public comment. So, it's the like process, either we need to get better buy in up front or go through the process you described. Because in theory, the process you're describing took place before we took a public position on something. Our Talking Points have all been things on which

---

we had, theoretically at least, reached consensus beforehand. And so that's part of the part that's difficult.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Anymore, Heidi? No?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yrjö?

HEIDI ULLRICH: But I think topics are important. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yrjö?

YRJO LANSIPURO: Yeah, thank you. Yrjö Lansipuro. Just to say that even the GAC, now all their Sessions are open, including the discussions about the Community so that that would be a bad example if you declare some or all Sessions closed. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Yrjö. Jonathan, did you want to chirp in again?

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes. I don't know if it's the right... You invited me to speak on the topic of Talking Points and I may be in the wrong place, but I'm also interested in limiting the number of generic dog and pony show presentations to our group. So, in other words unless we are able to specify in advance that we want to know about these three things, I think that people just sort of fall asleep during the generic presentations that are being given to everybody during that meeting.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I think we've raised that before with them, but we will. I think we should do so, as well. Yeah.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen? This is Heidi. I'm sorry I'm not able to raise my hand. Yeah, just to let you know, just to remind everyone of the Pre-ICANN Meeting Webinar Week, and that is set up just for that reason, so all the groups do not need to have those type of presentations where the people are just making their rounds to each group. So, maybe just encourage everyone to listen to all of those webinars prior to that ICANN Meeting and then we can eliminate most of those types of presentations. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great.

---

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Yeah, I mean I think that would be great. Let's try to get people to watch it. And then maybe we have a conversation on one of the calls about questions or about what people we need to hear more from and then invite those people. But otherwise, you know, not necessarily assume that we're going to have all these people on our Agenda. Because it feels like the things that really matter end up getting the short script to the fact that some sort of speaker that we really don't care about that's now in the room and we need to move on. And that's an infuriating kind of development that seems to happen with some presentations.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yes, I must admit what we had tried to do is not have people who are irrelevant to our week. So, I mean, I'm sort of thinking of people like Finance who do seem to have a standard kind of presentation which they bring out every time. But you know, it's just that they feel, and I guess it is important that especially for the ALAC, that everybody understands where ICANN's coming from, from the Finance perspective.

But, yeah, I think that we do need to say, "Well, everybody...", And we've got to make sure that everybody does, "Watch those presentations." Otherwise they're going to be behind the eight ball when it comes to getting some discussion about Operating Plans and blah, blah. But, no, I'm totally with you on that but we can sort of like just make sure that presentations are limited to a couple of slides rather than a series where everybody tends to turn off. Okay.

---

JONATHAN ZUCK:

We could have a Session on how At-Large should better participate in the budgeting process and involve the people that are on our Budget and Finance Committee and somebody from Finance and it's a discussion. Because every one of those presentations is an overview of the overall budget of ICANN but at no point is there an understanding of how this got funded but not this, which is what everyone's question is. You know, why is this program going forward but this one isn't. And they're never prepared to answer that question.

And so, either we start with a series of questions and say that we don't care about the overview because we already saw it, or we have a discussion that involves our Budget and Finance folks and one of these people from Finance and just have an open discussion and no presentation. Something like that I feel would be more interesting than the generic presentations that they give to everyone.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, and I totally understand and it's actually something that we've just been having a look at. I have been having a look at even at five o'clock in the morning, in regard to the FAC Membership for example. It's really important, I mean, as we have made it, the FAC is now has got to be not only just an interest in the next round of AVRs, but they have to also be interested in the developing public comment about the financial budgets and the Operating Plan. They have to be prepared to do studies of those plans and to ask the questions.

And surprisingly, or not, we are having difficulty getting people onto that committee, and I think it's because it's changed. And so, what

---

we've got to do now, as this is an important part of our work, we do have to be aware about how ICANN Org actually organizes their finances and so that you... We may need to look at...

I was just talking to APRALO and basically saying perhaps in our next election round we need to look at seeking out someone to our Leadership Team that actually has a real interest and can contribute towards the policy statements that we make for financial policy statements that we make from At-Large. So, it's an issue but it's something that people just need to be more aware of, that it's an important issue for us. And we have to be asking these guys the right questions, otherwise they just give us the same old, same old. So, yeah. I really totally agree with you. Okay, so that's something that we have to take note of.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hello?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Hello, hello, hello.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Cheryl, I see your hand.



---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. If I put my hand up, I'm ignored. If I don't put my hand up I'm [inaudible]. I can't seem to win. Anyway, there probably is a less than subtle message there for me. I might take that one day. Couple of things. With the management of the meetings, just to remind you that your Rules and Procedures do allow you to run far more tightly on who gets to speak, etcetera, etcetera. Some of the processes that we run are very free and open, but that is not how you have to do it at all.

And of course, in response to the dog and pony shows, which as one who not only has received an awful lot of them but that's also given them, they're horrible from both sides of the course. You know, try given the same spiel 22 times. And yet, on the 21<sup>st</sup> time something incredibly important and vital will happen and then you go, "Well, see, there you go. We shouldn't have said this was a waste of time after all." But we can give more tight guidelines, and I think you're on some of the right track there. So, we can construct what you want out of the what is presented to you much more tightly.

But, it is more problematic with things like Finance, especially under the new Rules and Procedure that we're operating on under the Empowered Community, because you have to be able to demonstrably show if you're the Finance Department that you have done all the outreach and engagement and reached into the tiny corners of the organization. And doing some of these dog and pony shows is one of those ways. It may not be the only way, and we might need to work on better ways, but it is a demonstrable way of doing it.

And at the moment, I'm seeing something exciting where we're getting, especially from our At-Large Meetings, greater numbers of people

---

coming to pre-meetings and things like that. I think we certainly need to make better use of those pre-meetings, and for example, nowadays you don't have the GNSO Council Meeting at a Public Meeting being updated on Work Groups for example. There's a special meeting between the GNSO Council, it's open still, and the Work Group Chairs that happened before the Public Meeting. So, some of this stuff you can preload and that's something that is very... And that's outside of the Prep Week, that's in addition to the Prep Week. There's stuff that you can do as well.

But what bothers me, I guess, more than anything is that time and time again, when we come to our Public Meetings or our meetings where we brought everybody in and they are sitting around a table, we really find that there's a small component of them, sometimes there's a large component of them, who are there in roles and who just don't understand the basics. We have hugely horrifying questions asked, and very embarrassing moments. And until we stop doing that, then I guess people will also think that we need the 101 exercises. So, maybe if we get our own act together a little bit more, that will also help. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Yeah, thank you. Very important and I think that we're going to have to impress on people who are going to go the meetings that the pre-ICANN Meetings are important. [inaudible] information but it is certainly a lot of stuff that comes across in the policy [inaudible] the different sections of the Community [inaudible].

---

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Maureen? Maureen, this is Yeşim. I'm not sure if you're following me or not, but your voice is sounding very far away. Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. Yeşim, are you talking? Oh.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Yes, Maureen. Your voice sounds like faint.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Sorry.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Oh, it's better now. It's perfect. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Sorry. I've just noticed that my plug was just sticking out there. Okay. Sorry about that. But I was just saying that it's really important that we impress on people to actually listen into those pre-ICANN Webinars and then we can say that we don't need to have the same presentation again. Exactly what Jonathan said. Okay, so let's move on, seeing as we're getting our heads together on that so that's sounding great.

Okay, so the EPDP Phase 2. What's that mean there? Gisella, are we going to have a Session or what's... Anyone has a proposal on that? We don't have Alan or Hadia on. So, okay. We'll skip that one for now and

---

we'll see what it is that they want to do. Sub-Pros. Is there anyone here who would like to... Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sub-Pro will be coming closer to its final reporting. And I would suggest that there is always an opportunity for our At-Large Community to have important conversations to be had regarding what is going on with new gTLDs. So, I would certainly leave that one in there.

But it will always be doing... There will be no Work Track 5, Work Track 5 is now closed, so you can just go back to referring to Subsequent Procedures and all the geographic stuff is rolled back in now to Subsequent Procedures again. There's still a lot of loathing, fear, and concern around any likelihoods of next rounds that need to be talked out within our group, and that's probably does need some consensus building I would think.

I'm not totally convinced that, for example, it'll be before Cancun that the CPWG will have time to progress much further on that and it might be in Cancun that that opportunity is there. But do remember you've got a few, and appallingly few, people who are actively in the Subsequent Procedures Working Group, but you have a great interest in At-Large about the topic. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. I think, too, that some backgrounding on, an update backgrounder on those topics is probably something that we need to

---

distribute so that people are up with what they need to know. Again, looking at the documents, the appropriate question...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: But, Maureen, there's a huge commitment being regularly done and updated for the CPWG, which is kind of... It's almost out of the CPWG, you need a background briefing for dragging, kicking, and screaming those people who can't be bother actually committing to the work that goes on in the CPWG to bring them up to speed.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, I guess I'm sort of thinking more about the newbies who are going to be there and might just need that little bit of a briefing thing, rather than an in depth Sub-Pro discussion that they might come across at CPWG.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: They would benefit from exactly the same thing. I'm saying to do it but don't allow it to be an excuse for people to think that's the only contribution they need to make. You know, CPWG exists for a darn good reason. That's where they should be doing the hard work, if not in the actual PDP. And I won't keep saying that.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah. No, no. I agree. I think that, I mean, talking ALAC and ALT-PLUS Members, but I'm looking at other At-Large people who might be on site who don't make that CPWG Meeting. And just as a backgrounder

---

when we actually have Sessions for like people coming in for a discussion on what's on top at the moment for some of these Sessions, they start from a level that is a little bit beyond anyone who doesn't have any background. So, what I'm just saying is that whatever we include into our program that there is some kind of information that gives people an idea, some kind of background as to what might be coming up. Okay, similarly I think with the...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Sorry, just...

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Just in response to that and this whole section of what can be key issues in our meeting, you kind of need to decide at this stage what your purpose of your Public Meeting agenda is. Is it internal glorified ALT-PLUS, in other words ALAC and your ALT-PLUS, internal meetings for their own consensus building and business? And I would question the value of that being the sole purpose at a Public Meeting but it's your choice if that's what you want to do.

Or is it do what you just said, which is also allow for more greater engagement, to bring new people up to speed, a degree of Capacity Building, all of those sorts of things, which many people find is unique as an opportunity in a Public Meeting. Or do you want to both, and maybe you need to pre-prepare your group in different ways for the different

---

approach. One for example, all those dog and pony shows and all early 101 type presentations that drive Jonathan and others to distraction, they benefit one of those aims and not the other. So, if you delimitate what your audience is and the purpose, that will help as well. Thanks.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yeah, I guess that for different Sessions there are different purposes. So, I guess that is defining what the purpose is of a particular Session rather than the meeting, the overall meeting itself. But I get your point, I get your point. That's fine. The Session in E for example, Joanna's one really appeals to me, again as a new topic. And so, Joanna, is Joanna on the call? Yeah? Can you explain what...

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Maureen, this is Yeşim. Joanna is not on today's call unfortunately.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, okay. That's a shame because I did think this is something new and definitely something that may need a little bit of backgrounding for a lot of people. But at the same time, because it is, well, not the DNS Abuse, but there is a lot in this that I'm not quite sure whether she's going to put them all together or break them up or how it is that she wants to run that particular Session, but it sounds as though it could be something that are developing within At-Large anyway.

So, we have a hand up. Or we don't have a hand up. Okay, so we've got... That's just an overview of some of the topics that have been proposed at the moment. So, is there anyone else who has anything

---

that they feel that needs to be, that we may need to start thinking about to add?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen? This is Heidi.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I've just thought that I have not seen anything about post-ATLAS Activities. I don't know if you would like to raise that in Cancun. And also, the At-Large Review Implementation, which is likely to be heading into its final stage by the point, with the ALS Globalization, etcetera.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yes, we should. Is it not due in mid-May? The final report?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah, the final report. Exactly. So, it'll be heading into its final stages by that time.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right. Okay, okay. So, that's an update of where we're at with the review. Okay. Okay, so that's good. A couple of other things that we... And especially I guess looking at post-ATLAS Activities and how we aim



---

to, or how we're progressing with those anyway so that would be a good Session. Okay, anything else? No? Okay.

Moving on then to the list of people that we are going to probably come across. For the Board, there will be no doubt questions, what do we want to talk to the Board about, so that's something that we'll be working on. The GAC, Yrjö, we should be having a meeting soon shouldn't we, with the GAC Team? Has anything been done?

YRJO LANSIPURO:

Yes. This is Yrjö Lansipuro. Thank you, Maureen. For the GAC Meeting, there will be, I hope, there will be a few intersessional things from which we should get reports at this Joint ALAC GAC Meeting in Cancun. That is to say first of all, on Sub-Pro, the Chair of the Focus Group on the GAC on Sub-Pro, [inaudible] from Canada has promised to include all representatives. And I think that would mainly be Justine Chew, in their next meeting which is either in December or early January.

There's also, as you know, there's also a letter from the GAC Chair, Manal, asking for support of other bodies, other SOs/ACs for the idea that the public comment period on Sub-Pro would be a whole document and not just for some part of it. So, that is one.

Then on EPDP, we are still to have perhaps a Joint Statement on EPDP Second Phase, that was mentioned also in the email at the previous Joint Meeting we had in Montreal. Then Capacity Building, we actually were planning to participate, mainly I think Joanna and myself, participate in the GAC Capacity Building events which are that one day before the start of the meeting.

---

And last point, at the Joint Meeting in Montreal, there was a suggestion that we would sort of deepen our cooperation from the global level down to the local level, that was Ricardo who suggested that, and Manal's answer was that yeah, that's an interesting idea. I talked to her about that also at IGF in Berlin and I think that we should make some sort of survey, perhaps we could start in EURALO, just trying to see what kind of cooperation, what kind of context we now have within the At-Large Community and the GAC Reps on a local level and then go from there. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Great, that sounds good. Okay. And thank you for this because it's really good to be able to develop what it is that we actually had discussed in our meeting. And I just think, too, that it's really good that it's becoming more interactive between the two groups and not just this one way conversation as we had done in the past. So, the great collaboration that we have, it looks really positive for us and we're really grateful that Manal's very much on board with the developments that have occurred.

And I like your idea, too, of planning it within EURALO and looking at, as probably EURALO that's very active and working with your community. So, some feedback on that would be really great. Good. Okay. So, there's definite developments going on there and it'd be good to see how we move along there.

SSAC, we generally have a Session with SSAC but again, we need to probably home in on what it is that we do, what we want them to talk to us about. Similarly, with the ccNSO. GNSO, of course we've had Keith

---

come in a couple of times, which is really good, but what do we need to do, what's something that we could do with the GNSO. Cheryl, what do you reckon?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl for the record. Well, by then the idea is that the final choices out of the different module that the GNSO Council are looking at on PDP 3.0 should be more publicly available, if not finalized. And the last two meetings have been edging us towards what we can, first of all, glean, secondly be perhaps concerned about, and after our last input into their request for feedback, that will make it that they will be forewarned.

But we're going to have a potential battle there and unfortunately we need to be, well no, and I believe we need to be very cautious about managing that professional and sensible way because we could very easily take ourselves back into an irrelevant sphere if the GNSO closes ranks and chooses to ignore all the ACs again. And I'm noting that on behalf of the ALAC and the GAC.

I will let you all know, however, that at least some of us are deeply enough concerned about this that unless there is huge objections in our public comments with the ATRT documentation, we will find a catchphrase in there, our reporting, both the interim report and if I have anything to do with it the final report, that says anything that goes on with the PDP Process in terms of engagement and involvement of the wider community cannot erode or diminish MultiStakeholder Model.

But by Cancun, that will be a draft report, draft interim statement and not a final report and recommendation. We might want to short some

---

of that. And I really think we need to get more than Keith there because the work is being done under Pam and Rafik's control. And they simply may not realize yet that they are running down some risky pathways.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Interesting. Politics. Okay. So, we'll need to work on how we develop that one, and I'll have a chat about how we progress, too. And as you say, getting Rafik and other than Keith and get it to the working level and how we can contribute to that. Right. And of course, the ATRT3 Update, no doubt that will be... How far along is that one, Cheryl, is that nearly done? Cooked, as you'd say?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Well, let me see, at the moment I'm going through yet more of what looks to be about a 200 page interim report. That interim report, yes, it is. Actually, I'm lying. At the moment, it's only 194 pages but there you go, I'm sure it will grow. The interim report will be out for public comment in mid-December, in the week of the 16<sup>th</sup> is the plan. So, we will have had it and hopefully the At-Large Community and the CPWG will have worked on it by then.

The public comments will be completed by then and we will have... They will wrap up at the end of January. We will have net and started to take into account all of the public comments to make any changes to our final reporting in February, and on a Day Zero or perhaps Day Minus 1 and Zero, in Cancun so we should be much closer to text of firm final recommendations and suggestions and they need to be in the hands of

---

ICANN no later than the end of March. So, it'll be as close to the ink drying as you can get.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Yes, we still have some ideas there we obviously need to have a Session on that one. Cyrus. Sorry, what's Cyrus? Who is Cyrus again, sorry?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Hi, this is Heidi. This is Cyrus Namazi. He is the head of GDD now.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So that would be your new gTLDs.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Right.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Right, Maureen, that's the Session that we've had about the organization readiness for the new round.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yeah, okay. Sorry. Yeah. I forgot his name. Right, okay. So, obviously there'll be something, there'll definitely be something in that area, so we'll find out from them what's on top. And of course, we've got the Execs, give them a chance to say their thing, do their thing.

---

The GSE Sessions that some sort of workshop-y thing could be quite good with them. Finance we've already discussed. The ALAC and NCSG Session, the last one turned out to be quite an interesting one. So, we'll have to sort of see from Olivier and Bruna as to how that one is going to progress in the next meeting as well. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Just a couple of extra ones, I recall that there was an Action Item in Montreal to invite Jan and Hortense again about the transparency and accountability project. I think they certainly would have some more updates there. So, I think maybe we should add them. And also, did you wish, I'm assuming that you'd like to have another one of the Communication Joint Sessions. And finally, I'm not sure if you'd like to consider inviting Brian Gutterman for the Registrants issues. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Okay. I'll put that down.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

All three, Maureen? Just to note, all three?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I'm sorry, what was that?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, again the accountability... All three of those people, so it was Jan and Hortense for the accountability, Brian for Registrants, and then the Joint Communication Session. Okay, thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes, I kind of listened into Jan's Session at the IGF which was interesting, some good comments from Maarten and others at that Session. An update Session would be good. Just rushing through because we're at time. How long is this meeting? Is this a 90 or what?

YEŞİM NAZLAR: It's a 60 minute call, Maureen, but we have asked for extension for 10 minutes and the interpreters are able to go over by 10 minutes.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's great. Thank you. I think we're just about done. Social Activities, Gisella I see that we've got one set up already.

GISELLA GRUBER: Thank you, Maureen. Yes, this is Gisella. It was just to touch base on the LACRALO Networking Session as we'll be in the LACRALO Region. As for any other social events, I mentioned the Gala on Monday which is yet to be confirmed, and no other social events at this stage. But of course, just to get the ball rolling on the LACRALO Networking Event. Thank you.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Okay. Thanks for that. Okay, so moving on then, there are some ideas that we need to flesh out where I think we've got, I don't know how many Session blocks we've got and I'm sure Gisella isn't too aware of how much time we've got for ourselves on the Main Schedule. So, we'll have to... We just need to start thinking about what's been discussed. There are people that we need to make contact with, for example in the Section 5. And also getting other ideas, because I think I know that Holly was thinking of something, too, for one of the Policy Sessions. So that's something that we just need to have a little bit more input into.

But at least that gives us a little bit of an idea of some of the thinking that's going to go around, will go into what we're planning for the meeting. And it's looking quite exciting already. So, any other final thoughts before we close up? No, okay. Well, thank you very much for everyone for coming and joining in the conversation, especially in the chat.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Maureen?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Yes. You put your hand up. Yes.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, I didn't put my hand up actually. I just want to ask when the next meetings are going to be. I would love to have the meetings just locked in instead of these incessant frigging Doodles, which all clash coming out three days before, etcetera, etcetera. Can we just lock down a



---

rotation of time or something? I mean, I don't care that I'm up at three a.m. talking to you. Well I do, but I am anyway. That was actually when we started.

MAUREEN HILYARD: It would make it...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Can we lock them down between now and then? That's all I'd love, I'd love to have everything in the calendar and then everything else can work around meetings. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I agree. And I think what we'll do is I'll get Gisella to have a look at the schedules and we'll put in a specific date and it might be fortnightly or something because we do need start getting our heads together around this. Okay? So, we'll get a message out to you soon. Thank you. So, that's okay with you, Gisella?

GISELLA GRUBER: Perfect. Thank you, Maureen. We'll get a Doodle out and we'll identify maybe two rotating times to share the pain. And what I suggest is we just set them up weekly and if we don't need them we can cancel them. It's just easier than trying to scramble and find a time for everyone to convene, if you're okay, thank you.

---

MAUREEN HILYARD: Great. Alright. Awesome. Thank you. Thank you everyone, we'll be in touch. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks everyone.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Bye.

YESIM NAZLAR: Thanks all. This meeting is now adjourned. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**