

---

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Welcome, everyone. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening. Welcome to the AFRALO monthly call on Wednesday, the 4<sup>th</sup> of December at 18:30 UTC.

On today's call on the English channel, we do have [Peters Omaragman, Atricia Akelo], Nkem Nweke, [Omar Sharan], Remmy Nweke, [Bernatius Okoo Adema,] Yazid Akahno], Raymond Mamattah, Seun Ojedeji, Daniel Nanghaka, Moltis Saruko, Sarah Kiden, Mary Uduma, [Jule Navayamamana], Fatimata Sylla, [Okari [inaudible]], [Ben Piamba], Dave Kissoondoyal, Joan Katambi, Hadia Elminiawi, [Moriem Selemi], Abdulkarim Oloyede, Aziz Hilali, [Emmanuel Agbenonwossii Pita], and Ejikeme Egbuogo.

On the French channel, we have [Etienne Shishembi, Imran Imat, Soleil Manay, Gamrbial Bobambo Ozeko, Mikari Kumatay, Bamba Visindal, Manata Vanaba] Michelle Shanay Lind, Gadibi Geb Hangong, and Imram Imat Soleilmananas].

Apologies are also noted from [Adri Biyard] and Leon Sanchez.

Our interpreters today are Camila and Isabel.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogdu, Gisella Gruber, Claudia Ruiz, and myself, Michelle DeSmyter, on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking. Please speak clearly for transcription purposes and also so the interpreters can identify you on the other language

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

channels. Please also keep your phones and microphones on mute when not speaking to avoid any background noise.

Thank you ever so much. I will turn the meeting back over to Seun. Please begin.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you very much. Welcome again, everyone. Welcome to this [online] monthly call. I trust you're doing fine. Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening for all us all.

First, you've all seen the agenda in front of us. Seems like a packed one today. Do I have anyone who wants to have a comment on the agenda? Any suggestions for the discussion or comments?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Seun, this is Heidi. Hadia has her hand raised.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Hadia, I see your hand up.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Seun. Basically, I wanted to say a few words about NomCom since the application will open this year mid-December. Maybe to go with Any Other Business.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. You're actually on the agenda under Item 4D. So you'll give your updates under Item 4D. Is that fine?

Perhaps you need to refresh your wiki page to see the latest agenda. So that is covered. [Elise], I see your hand up. You have the floor.

[ELISE]: Thank you, Seun. I'd like to ask, the last ICANN you had [inaudible] or something of the sort [inaudible]. I don't [inaudible]. Are we [inaudible] agenda? [inaudible]. I don't know whether it's from my side [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello, [Elise]? Your line is breaking. I can't hear you very well.

[ELISE]: Okay. Can you hear me now?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Much better.

[ELISE]: Hello?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Yes, [Elise], your line is better.

---

[ELISE]: Okay. Thank you. I'm asking about we had discussed during the last ICANN meeting. [On ICANN strategy], you're supposed to feel some fresh or rather provide ideas on the next strategic meeting for ICANN for the next [idea]. I don't know how that went [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI: I think we have [Yavee] on the call. During the GSE, the agenda item on 5A [Yavee] can talk about the ICANN strategy.

[ELISE]: Okay. Thanks.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Sarah, I see your hand up.

SARAH KIDEN: Sorry. To respond to [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Okay. I see no other comments on the agenda, so I suggest that we move on.

Agenda Item #2. Before we go to that, I'd like to say thank you to the AFRALO community for the opportunity to [inaudible] on behalf of myself and the entire AFRALO team: Vice-Chair [inaudible] and Sarah as well. Especially for myself [inaudible]. Thank you. We trust that we'll have your support and we trust that we would also collectively take

---

AFRALO to a better level and improve on the current [good blocks] that Fatimata and [Joan] [inaudible] as they [passed the outgoing] chair and vice-chair respectively.

On that note, we'll move to the next item on the agenda, which is Agenda Item 2: Review of action items. Over to you, Heidi.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you, everyone. I'm just looking at ... I don't believe that there were any. Okay, no there were. Sorry. Let me go ahead and put them into the chat. Thank you, Michelle. You're super-fast. So we can see that these are some to do with ICANN 66, so they should be checked off.

One is Gisella to check ICANN 66 schedule and determine if a meeting for AFRALO leaders and ATLAS III participants from Africa can be included in the schedule. I believe that you did have an informal session, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yeah. I think we had an informal meeting. I think it can be ticked off. I think it's done.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Thank you. Then another open one was AFRALO leaders to assess whether AFRALO would like to submit a statement on the multi-stakeholder model, which is open for public comment until the 14<sup>th</sup>. I think that one is now closed as well.

---

SEUN OJIDEJI: Yeah, since the 14<sup>th</sup> of what? 14<sup>th</sup> of [inaudible]?

HEIDI ULLRICH: No, October.

SEUN OJIDEJI: Ah, okay. So that is gone. It's closed.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. The final one is the AFRALO leadership to discuss the possible meeting with the new African ICANN Board members.

SEUN OJIDEJI: I think I should report on this. We actually met with one of the Board members, the lady. Unfortunately, we couldn't meet the new Board member from Sudan. I think he left early, before the end of the meeting. So we had an informal meetup with her and we [inaudible] about AFRALO myself, I think Sarah [inaudible]. I think Fatimata. We all met with her. Basically she was happy to receive us. She also looked forward to partnering with us to collaborate with us. She promised to also be in attendance in our meetings, especially the one that we'll hold at the next ICANN meeting in Cancun.

So I think we can check that off as well.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Seun, just wondering if you did want to have an action item to invite them to the next AFRALO/AfrICANN meeting in Cancun, or even to invite them to the next AFRALO monthly call. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Actually, yeah, that would be cool, even though she had already agreed to be at the meeting because we told her. But I think it's good to follow up on that. So please put an action item on those two items so we can keep up on this. Thanks.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. I'll go ahead and do that.

SEUN OJEDEJI: We'll close this one and then [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Just, Seun, on that, if they do come to the next AFRALO teleconference, you might wish to develop some questions from them or even a short presentation that a few of you might present. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Thank you, Heidi. We'll move to the next item on the agenda, which is about the open public comments. There are presently three open public comments. One of the first ones has to do with WHOIS registration data services. That is the WHOIS 2 Review Team. They have

done the discussion. They've presented their final reports. The comment is closing. Actually, the comment is closing on Monday, so, for those of you who still may want to contribute [inaudible] directly, then please feel free to take note of the closing dates.

The second open comment is with regards to the implementation plan for the GNSO consensus policies written for the production of certain [recursive names]. Some of you may recall that there is the full names on the national [inaudible], which [inaudible] to the resolved names. So there's actually a current public comment for that. It is due by the 12<sup>th</sup> of December, for those who are interested.

The final one is the proposal for future root zone KSK rollover. You may recall that last year was when the last KSK rollover was done. For those who remember, last year there were a couple of postponements with regards to that particular action. So this particular public comment is looking into [concentrations] of [inaudible] that she put in the [concentrations] for future rollover instances. So perhaps these [inaudible]. If anyone will have any comments in regards to that, the date of closing is [inaudible] 31<sup>st</sup> of January. But I think perhaps, as AFRALO, we may also [inaudible] still much later since this has to have some big impacts, especially considering how it happened the last time. So, if we see a lot of interest, perhaps we should submit a comment as AFRALO. But, for any regard, please feel free to [inaudible] timeline. If there's interest, please let me know. Then we can see whether we can form a small group to try to do a comment as AFRALO. I will [inaudible] that.

---



---

I move to just remind us that we have [inaudible] a couple of policy resources that are available to you for your information and for your updates. For instance, you look at the 2019 ALAC policy comments and advice. I think that contains all the comments and advice that has been made by ALAC since the beginning of this year. There are a couple of other useful links there for you as well.

Since the last monthly call, there's been just one recently ratified ALAC statement, and that is the one that is on the operating plan and budget. [Janey] was on that committee. I don't know whether [she] has something to say.

Okay, but before that, I see Abdulkarim's hand is up. Abdulkarim, you have the floor.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Thank you very much, Seun, for giving me the floor. I just want to give a comment regarding the ISOC sale of PIR, which is open for public comment now. I don't know. I just want to give a suggestion, which is I think this has a lot of effect on us as Africans, as a community. I'm thinking, is it possible for us to look at the effects, both positive and negative, and also to either put our comment on this comment or [inaudible] individual this time was AFRALO, or we send our own comments separately on this? Because I think it's something that has [inaudible] a lot of effect on us as AfrICANN. Thank you.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, Abdulkarim. Thank you for that comment. One of the things perhaps to clarify is that the ISOC sale of PIR by ISOC is not by public comment. The public comment, as we refer to it, [inaudible] ICANN public comment. But it's currently under comments within At-Large, so it's still being under consideration within At-Large on whether they should be actually an advice or any comments with regards to that. So, yes, I encourage us. Perhaps we should follow that particular discussion. It's happening within the CPWG.

Based on what you suggested on whether we should consider it as AFRALO, perhaps we should. Perhaps we should not. Perhaps we should all focus on the CPWG. I would like to hear people's opinion if there's any in that regard. Anyone?

Abdulkarim, your hand is still up. Is that for a new comment?

Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Seun, Tijani speaking.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, Tijani?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: You asked me to comment on what, please?

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: On whether there's any major thing that you wanted to say on the operating plan and budgets draft comment that was made.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. This year, I didn't work on it yet. I worked on it for all the previous [inaudible], but this year I didn't work on it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Ah, okay. All right. Thank you, Tijani. I think, on the proposed suggestion of Abdulkarim, I would suggest that we still focus our energy on the discussion that is happening within the CPWG, first to see whether if there's actually end user issues in this. If there is, we can then try to see if we can form our own opinions or comments in that regard.

Having said that, I think we should move on, but I'm seeing that Abdulkarim's hand is up. Is this a new hand or an old one, Abdulkarim?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Sorry, Seun. It's not a new hand. I've been trying to lower the hand, and the hand refuses to be lowered.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you for that. We'll move to Item 4: Reports. We have the first item, which is recent and upcoming ALAC activities. By the way, let's remember the current statement that ALAC is currently drafting, which also includes the consideration of the ISOC sale of PIR.

---

Who wants to take the one on the reports on ALAC activities? Tijani, Dave, Abdulkarim? Who wants to go first?

Hadia, I see your hand up. You have the floor.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I was just going to ask if you would like me to give you an update about the WHOIS review team report, which I was—

SEUN OJEDEJI: [inaudible]?

HADIA ELIMIAWI: Yes. Since I'm the penholder, I could quickly give you a quick summary of the comment, if you wish. I am happy to.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Cool. Please go head. One minute.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay, good. As you all know, ICANN bylaws require periodic reviews of the registration directory service. The first review was carried out between 2010 and 2012, and we are currently [presenting] on the reports of the [inaudible] reviews [inaudible]. In my comment, I tried to address what matters to end users. I talked about Recommendation 5.1, which talks about accuracy, pointing out that the EPDP Phase 1 reports actually reduce the number of contact fields. Thus, it is very important

---

to have very accurate fields now in place, especially since the ARS reports said that registration data contains a lot of errors.

Also, we [inaudible] to the accuracy regards to GDPR. [inaudible] to other recommendations with regard to compliance, which also addressed accuracy and registrars' obligations to that. I talked about the recommendation with regard to the translation of the [inaudible], but that of course is not possible until RDAP is in place. I talked about some very important findings with regard to the needs of law enforcement, and those are Recommendations [LG] 1 and [LG] 2. They both say that [inaudible] 60% of the respondents to the survey identified possible [inaudible] to the RDS [inaudible] that would fulfill the same investigative needs indicated by that they do not have any other tool in this regard. 89 of the respondents deemed RDS as very important. I also referred to some findings with regard to consumer trust and a definition of consumer trust.

So that's quickly and briefly what the comment is about. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Hadia, and thank you for giving that brief summary of the comment. The reference to the comment is actually linked, so I encourage us all to review the comment in detail. I'm sure, if there are questions, you may direct them directly to Hadia. I'm sure she will be happy to respond.

Tijani, you have the floor.

---

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Seun. To report on the activities of ALAC, as you know, as Abdulkarim just told you, members of ALAC are discussing this issue of selling PIR from ISOC to the Ethos company. As Seun noted, it is not an ICANN issue. There is a lot of interesting discussion. That's why we have a single-purpose call of the CPWG just after this call about this very issue.

Also, as you know, ALAC just came from the ATLAS III and the ICANN AGM. One of the works of ALAC is a follow-up to ATLAS III and also the follow-up of the AGM.

Also, ALAC is now reforming what I call the selection committee, what is called the AASC, which proposes selectees for any position that At-Large will appoint. So they propose that to the ALAC, who accepts or doesn't accept these recommendations. Also the same for the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee. We are reforming the membership.

What else? Also, ALAC is interested in the feedback of the participation of At-Large members in IGF Berlin.

Also a very important thing is the additional budget request from At-Large for the year FY21. You know that the requests close at the end of this month, so we have almost one month to go.

What else? Also, ALAC discussed also the Cross-Community Working Group on Internet Governance, where Olivier is one of the main leaders, because this is an issue that ICANN is very interested in. ICANN is now interested in [being present] and effective in all this Internet governance ecosystem.

---

So that's all I have to say. If someone else can complete, please go ahead. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Tijani. Abdulkarim, do you have – and Dave? Do we have Dave online. I think he's not online. So, Abdulkarim, do you have any other – oh, Dave is there. So Abdulkarim and Dave, any additions?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Yeah. Sorry. I think the only addition I wanted to add is the issue of the additional [budget]. The ALAC is asking us for us to come up with an idea or a way how to [inaudible] because I think what's happening is ALAC is getting some money from ICANN, which is about one million dollars, and they have to come up with what they are going to use the money on for activities. Part of the requirements for the activities is that it's something that can actually be replicated across all the five RALOs. I don't know if people have ideas about something which has to do with ICANN that we can replicate across the five RALOs that the money can be spent on. Thank you. That's the only thing I needed to add.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay, thank you. If I recall, the one that Abdulkarim has just referred to is very good information. The one [inaudible] is actually [not ALAC a lot] .It's a fund that is a fund that is available to all the entire SOs/ACs. So each SO/AC will then make proposals and then the proposals, if there are no objections from all the rest of the SOs/ACs, would then be

---

funded. So I think we should, as Abdulkarim has mentioned, probably, [inaudible] thinking around this [inaudible] from ALAC. We should be allowed to also contribute to that process.

Thank you very much. I'm not saying any hands with regards to the updates provided by ALAC, so we'll move to the next item—

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Sorry, Seun. Can I quickly add? [inaudible] is now on, and we [inaudible] face-to-face in December for us to actually come with the idea.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. All right. Fine. Please put in some information in the chat for our people so they can submit ideas to this. Thank you, Abdulkarim.

We're now on Item 4B: Recent and upcoming AFRALO/ALS activities. Anyone want to provide some updates from [either] ALS?

Tijani, you have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Suen?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, we can hear you now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Do you hear me?



---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you. There is a young woman from Uganda, called I think, Joan, or something like this, who made a lot of activities in her ALS. She updated me about that. I asked her to come and to update the call today about that. I don't know if she's on the call. If she's on the call, please speak up because it is very important what she did at her university at her [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: [inaudible]. Okay. Sarah, do you happen to know that person?

Oh, yeah. I think it's Katambi Joan. Is it Katambi Joan [inaudible]?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: I think so.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. I can see that the person is on the call. Please, you could raise your hand if you'd like to. We are getting some echoes. Otherwise, [Bakri], you have the floor. Please let's be brief because of time.

[BAKRI]: Okay. Thanks. Hello [inaudible] recent activities in ALS. We are setting up a project in high schools and in universities. We are working on

---

privacy protection on social media because there are a lot of issues. People are going online. They think that everything is closed, but there really isn't any help, any education, or assistance to truly understand what is happening on those networks. So we are seeing major issues in our societies because of that.

So, before the end of the year, we are working on putting together projects to raise awareness, especially in the youth, as far as those social networks are concerned – social media. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

All right. Thank you. [Yasig], I see your hand. You have the floor.

[YASIG BACALL]:

Thank you, Seun. I would just like to share with all of you that, next week, in ISOC's Berlin chapter, we are going to have [inaudible] week activities to close the year. So we have a set of activities, starting from Thursday, the 12<sup>th</sup> of December. We'll meet some students of university, talking about what is Internet governance and how we can also engage.

On Friday, we have a conference with [Alan] [inaudible] to also congratulate him after receiving his prize – Jon Postel. Actually, this conference is to talk with, we say, young people to explain to them why we should volunteer, actually, and why we should promote everything related to engagement.

So I will probably come back to you with the updated agenda of those set of activities by the end of this week. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDENI: All right. Thank you. Please keep us posted on all this. We're happy that you're recognizing [Alan], who has been a good friend of this community and the community member in AFRALO and also in the ICANN community and AFRINIC and the Internet community globally.

I see [Olivier. Olivier], you have then floor. Please let it be brief. One minute.

[OLIVIER]: Okay. Thank you, Chair Seun. Thank you, everyone. Hi from Lome. I wanted to you know that [inaudible] Lome. We are preparing in Lome to [participate] in ALS at the national IGF, which they are preparing to celebrate on the 14<sup>th</sup> of December. I want you to know that, also, I'm the general secretary of our national association of professional ICT associations. But since I'm leaving in [inaudible] Senegal also ...

SEUN OJEDEJI: Hello? We lost you, [Olivier]. We can't hear you speaking.

Okay. But I think we've got some part of the update from [Olivier].

[OLIVIER]: I'm sorry for the ...

SEUN OJEDEJI: Well, we got some of your update.

---

[OLIVIER]: The connection is bad.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right.

[OLIVIER]: So I'm actually [inaudible], and I'm going to set up a committee to pursue the activities of the ALS in Togo. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. [inaudible] posted, "If you find some interesting things to lead us on ..." Please let us all make use of the mailing list if there are updates that we want to share. It doesn't need to wait for the monthly call. So we can also maximize the timing. Thanks to everyone who has provided updates.

We move to the next one. Do we have Daniel on the call for outreach and engagement on this?

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Can you hear me?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, Daniel. We hear you.

---

---

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Thank you very much, Seun, for the opportunity to speak on a brief update on outreach and engagement.

As you all could have been aware, there's a lot of activity that has been going on. Also, we had a little bit of challenge [inaudible] of funding. So, as far as the Africa region, which also affects other regions, we were greatly affected by inadequate funding. Our participation hasn't been quite very, very good, but at least I'm happy that there are a number of us at the AFRINIC meeting Angola right now. Probably, in case some of you are here, we could have a group photograph tomorrow at the ICANN Board, at least to show members of AFRALO at AFRINIC.

I'm also happy to take the opportunity to share that some of you could be aware –or you may not be aware, but at least for the members who part of the Outreach and Engagement Sub-Team ... \*beep beep beep\* What is that? Sorry, my time is up?

Okay—

SEUN OJEDEJI: [inaudible] You have 30 seconds left.

DANIEL NANGHAKA: Okay. Some of you are aware that the AFRALO leadership has to elect at least a co-chair for AFRALO to the outreach and engagement. I think that is a decision that the AFRALO leadership will have to take on.

---

Apart from that, I would like to also encourage you members to be able to participate in outreach and engagement. Thank you. Back to you, Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you very much, Daniel. Any comments or questions to Daniel?

Okay. Seeing no hands up and hearing no voice, for those are attending AFRINIC 31, let us get together, as Daniel said, [inaudible] at AFRINIC 31.

We'll move to the next item: NomCom updates by Hadia. Hadia, you have the floor.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Thank you, Seun. This year, we have seven open positions to be filled by the 2020 NomCom. One important and significant change from last year is the opening period of the application forms, which will start by mid-December, the middle of this month. The application period will extend to mid-February, which is, again, different than previous years, where the application period would usually close by the end of March.

[inaudible]. We have two seats for the ICANN Board of Directors, and we have two seats for the ALAC. As you know, the Nominating Committee chooses five ALAC members, one from each of ICANN's geographic regions. This year, we have an opening from, I think, Europe and another one from North America, We have one seat for the Generic Names Supporting Organization and one seat for the Country Code Names Supporting Organization. Thank you.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Hadia. Any questions for Hadia? Questions or comments?

Okay, I have one, Hadia. I understand that there's some change in the timelines this year. Can you please give a brief on that?

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Yes. The opening, as I said, should be by the mid of December, so it would be, like, two weeks from now. Again, the opening is [extended] to the mid of February. The announcement would be my August. I think that this gives a better opportunity for the NomCom to go through the applications, [inaudible], go do the deep dive, and make the choices.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, Hadia. We move to the next item: AFRALO at IGF. This is actually a [free-for-all] for those AFRALO members who attended IGF. We would like to hear updates from you.

Professor Aziz? Is Professor Aziz there? Aziz is on the call. Tijani and Sarah are the people that I know that were at IGF. If there are other people from AFRALO, I would like to see your hands up to share with us any updates from the IGF.

Sarah, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: [inaudible]. I hope you can hear me. As we wait for Aziz and Tijani, I just wanted to share that there are a few people who attended the IGF

---

meeting in Berlin. Basically, I think most people were either self-funded or they got funding from other sources. That is the case for me. I got funding from another source.

I spoke on a few sessions. One was the main session on artificial intelligence and human rights. Then I also organized one session on how to use artificial intelligence to achieve the sustainable development and growth. I also contributed to the Diplo just-in-time reporting. What happens is the DiploFoundation gets people as rapporteurs to attend sessions, and these reports are posted two hours after the sessions. So, if you cannot listen to all the recordings, basically you can go to the link that I have posted there and just look at sessions of interest. The reports are between 400 and 700 words, so you can just get a feel of what happened. I think very many people from that large community are actually part of the rapporteurs from the DiploFoundation.

That is it from me. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Sarah. It looks like it was a very eventful meeting. Some of us also followed some of the sessions remotely, like myself.

Tijani, is there a person that attended that wants to give some updates?

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Seun. You hear me, Seun?



---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, we hear you now.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Okay. Thank you very much. Yes, I attended IGF Berlin. Nobody paid for me. I paid from my pocket. We take advantage of the fact that Berlin is not really far from Tunisia, so the cost of the ticket wasn't very high.

Most of the sessions I attended were about data protection. From the beginning, from the introduction, most of those sessions I attended. Also, I attended the session about the Middle East engagement. The booth was also one of the things that we did. Everyone took a part, I think, at least me and Sarah. I saw her. So both were in the booth at different times.

This time, the two workshops that I was supposed to be on the panel of weren't accepted, so I wasn't on the workshops' panels. But I was on the Middle East engagement panel, and I spoke there. I spoke about the non-African IGF, since I am the Vice-Chair of this IGF.

I also spoke about my contribution in the other IGF, [touching] on the African one, the Arab one, and the West African one.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Tijani. Professor Aziz, you want to say something?

AZIZ HILALI: Yes. I will switch to the French channel.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, Professor Aziz. Go ahead.

AZIZ HILALI: I'd rather switch and not so much discuss the sessions I participated in but rather I would like to focus on something else. I'm sorry. There's a side conversation on the French channel. There's someone speaking at the same time as I am. I cannot speak because there's someone speaking at the same time I am.

Okay. As I was saying, together with an African association and with the African Union, we had decided to organize a workshop to see the fact that we were present at the IGF in Berlin. We organized an activity in Mauritania that will be carried out next month. We wanted to organize this IGF here for the first time, which would be quite a novelty. Given that I coordinate the IGF for Northern Africa, I'm leading this initiative to have an African IGF in Mauritania.

Other than that, I would like to say that the Berlin IGF was a complete success. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Aziz. Sarah, I think that is an old hand. I see your hand is still up. Is that an old hand?

Okay. Thank you. We move to the next agenda item. We need to move faster now, please. Updates on ICANN66 and AFRALO participation at ATLAS III. This is a very important agenda item for those of us who attended ATLAS III. We would like to hear from a few people to share their updates before we then move to [inaudible].

---

There are some presentations and links to this agenda. I actually did a presentation for doing a readout that was organized by the GSE African team. Please have a look at it. There are some items that we committed to do: post-ATLAS III. We will be following up with [inaudible [Sol] on the mailing list with regards to some of the three key items that we want to do post-ATLAS.

Having said that, can I have some of the participants who – Sarah, could you coordinate [inaudible] participants?

SARAH KIDEN: Hi. I see Heidi has her hand up.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Heidi, you have the floor.

SARAH KIDEN: [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much. Just really quickly, I wanted to let people know about the post-ATLAS III activities. There will be a number of e-mails coming to all the ATLAS III participants very shortly. The first will be likely today about a post-ATLAS III survey. It just takes about 15 minutes. Please do it. It is mandatory for the At-Large ambassadors' journey.

---

The second item will be a report. That will be out in the next week or so. That is also mandatory for the At-Large ambassador program. Also, on the week of the 16<sup>th</sup> of December, there will be a webinar for all the ATLAS III participants in which the post-ATLAS III activities will be discussed. The next steps will also be discussed.

So please do watch your inbox for those activities. Thank you very much.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, Heidi. It's good to hear all this. It means we still have enough avenues to actually discuss this. I will just ask, [Mikel], to go ahead and give your update and [inaudible]. So, [Mikel], you have the floor. One minute, please.

[Mikel]?

Okay. If [Mikel] is not—

[MIKEL]:

Can you hear me?

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Yes. We can hear you.

[MIKEL]:

Great. First and foremost, I would like to thank the team who organized ATLAS III, which was a true success. I would like to tell you how happy I

---

was to be able to meet you all there. At first, I was very much impressed with the methodology that was used. Then there was also a number of sessions that allowed us to interact differently because we had breakout sessions where we had different exchanges. We didn't just have [inaudible] exchanges. So all the content that was presented were, to my mind, quite consistent and triggered new ideas for us to better use or better manage even the skills of our future leaders and to put them to use.

I think the work you did was absolutely impeccable because you were there at all times adding complementary information or facilitating our exchanges.

I would also like to say that we had a feeling that your practical methodologies were essential to the proper use of the resources we had at hand.

I have merely one criticism, which is the fact that we didn't always have enough time to discuss the results of the different breakout sessions, so maybe we could [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Thank you, [Mikel]. Thank you for that. I think, as Heidi has mentioned, the survey will be sent. So please, of all these suggestions for improvements and your positions, ensure you put them in the survey as a response so that we can have an even better ATLAS IV in the future.

So I see [Bookeem]. We have [Bookeem]. Raymond. [Bookeem], you have the floor. Can you do it in 30 seconds? I would be happy. Thanks.

---

[BOOKALA ROOTI]: I will do my best. My name is [Bookala Rooti] from Nigeria, and I will be a participant of that [inaudible]. Also, I'm a beneficiary of travel support.

What I want to say was that the summit, for me, was way beyond my expectation because indeed it was [inaudible] and a good program for grooming leaders.

Also, for me personally, I think it was beyond just being able to manage people. It helps you as an individual to grow and be a better person. You'll be able to relate to people [inaudible] or background and should be able to achieve your common goal ...

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. [Bookala], we lost you. We can't hear you again. Or is it from my side? Hello? Can anyone hear me?

MICHELLE DESMYTER: Yes. Hi, Seun. This is Michelle. I can hear you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Raymond, you have the floor. Go ahead, please. 30 seconds.

RAYMOND MAMATTHA: Okay. Good evening. Can you hear me?

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Go ahead.

RAYMOND MAMATTAH: Okay. Actually, ICANN 66 was my first ever ICANN meeting that I have attended. I will say everything was well-planned. I expected especially [inaudible]—

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Raymond, go ahead.

RAYMOND MAMATTAH: Okay. Especially the ATLAS III training was also very well-planned. It was very well-organized, especially the one who taught us, Mr. Kolb, who was also well-informed about what he was actually teaching us. I also had the opportunity to meet some of the veterans for that. We chatted over the years in my involvement in ICANN.

I would say it has been a life-changing experience for me, and I'm very grateful for the opportunity given to me to [inaudible].

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you very much, Raymond. Last but not least, Bakri? 30 seconds.

---

BAKRI: Okay. [inaudible]? Hello?

Overall, I would say that the event ...

INTERPRETER: I think he got cut off.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right, then. Thank you to all of those who are giving updates.

BAKRI: Hello?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you, everyone, who has given an update. I'm sure we all have more updates to share. I will suggest that we share the experience at the upcoming session that has been planned for this as well. Also, of course, if you want to share your experience in the chat as well.

We'll move to the next agenda item, please, which is the GSE call. For the GSE call, the presentation and the recordings are already linked. I would invite Yaovi to talk about the African strategy, which seems to be of more interest. Yaovi. you have the floor.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you very much, Seun. On behalf of Pierre and the whole GSE team from Africa, we want to thank you all for attending the webinar. We had a very good number for that webinar. Mainly, it was to report



---

about what happened during ICANN 66 because the readout webinar is a tradition now because people could not be able to attend all the sessions. So it was an opportunity to hear from the Business Constituency, [inaudible], to hear from the ccNSO representative, to hear from the GAC representative, and even [inaudible] from AFRALO. So it was a very good opportunity. We shared a link for the recording so that people who were not able could go and listen.

The next step on this Africa strategy is that we are going to have a webinar on December 18<sup>th</sup>. Proposed [inaudible] as we started in Montreal is to master the ICANN strategy plan for the next five years. Then, from that, we could better contribute to the new Africa strategy development. So mainly that was the idea.

So, please, we want to call you again to listen to the presentation that happened during ICANN66. When you go to the ICANN66 website, you'll see the agenda. The presentation is there. The ICANN strategic plan you and listen to and see the first import we received from the community. As I mentioned, I will share information about how to join the next webinar in this month, in December, on the 18<sup>th</sup>. Also, you can see on the chat which people are on Zoom today. You have the link my colleague, [Bob], just posted in the chatroom to listen to what has been said and prepare yourself to be also able to volunteer because we used to do the community ... We have volunteers who help, and we work together to have the strategy.

So I want to again say thank you on behalf of the whole team. We expect a contribution, good participation, in the next webinar this year

---

so that we can move and have a new African strategy on time before the end of the fiscal year. Thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Yaovi. Do you want to say anything about the strategy?

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Yes. This is what I mentioned. We have a new strategy for the global strategy plan for ICANN. The current African strategy will come to an end in June. So the idea for us, ICANN and the community, is to have a new strategy aligned on the ICANN '21/'25 strategy. This is the objective of the strategy. So doing is something we'll do together. Then we hope to have this one ready by March of next year so that we should be able to have also a strategic plan for Africa.

So mainly the work we've been doing together, and we invite everyone to master the pillars, the focus area, on the new ICANN strategic plan of five years. So please go back to the presentation. Go back to the session. You have the presentation and you can listen. Thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Yaovi. We'll move to Sarah for a quick update on fellowship, mentorship, and the [next ICANN fellowship round.]

---

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. [Thank you.] Since we're running out of time, I'd just like to say that applications for the next fellowship round is open. That is for the meeting in Malaysia, ICANN 68. Please apply. But this particular one is only for alumni. So, if you've ever been an ICANN Fellow before, you can apply. Otherwise, you'll have to go for the next one.

I'll mention that I was selected by At-Large to be the [main] [inaudible] for fellows who are interested in joining the At-Large community. So, if you have any feedback or any support you can give me on how to make [inaudible] join the community, that would be good.

So, for the [inaudible] ICANN meeting, we had about six people, and five of them were African. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Sarah. I see [Bookala]. Is that an old hand?

You have the floor? Bakri? Bakri, is that an old hand?

[Arun] you have the floor. Arun [Mohammed].

[ARUN]: Hello. How are you? Hi, everyone.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [Go ahead].

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, we can hear you.

[ARUN]: [inaudible]

SUEN OJEDEJI: Go ahead. You have the floor. 30 seconds, please.

[ARUN]: Okay, okay. I could not hear you. That's why. Now I can hear you clearly. I have a question about the fellowship. I did apply twice for the fellowship, but the two times have been rejected. I e-mailed the fellowship and they told me that maybe the reason is that there are a lot of people that are applying, and I [inaudible] request.

So what I want to know is what exactly I have to do to apply for the third time to not be rejected. [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Sarah?

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you, [Arun]. I see Yaovi has put up his hand, but since we are running out of time, I would suggest that if I can just coordinate with you on that and then we can discuss. Let's just take it offline [inaudible]

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Yes, I think that would be very helpful. Thank you, Sara. [inaudible] and then the discussion [inaudible]. But you can also reach out to Yaovi. Yaovi may also put a comment in the chat if [inaudible].

We are at Agenda Item 5B. Do we have Remmy on the call? Can he give a quick update on the newsletter? [inaudible]. One-minute update, Remmy.

REMMY NWEKE: Hello. Can you hear me?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes, we can hear you.

REMMY NWEKE: All right. Thank you, Seun, for the opportunity. As we agreed on the last time, we had [inaudible]. We were able to [inaudible] one of the AFRALO [inaudible] during ICANN 66. As I speak, we are already outlining the timeline [inaudible] possible. I have one issue regarding the [inaudible]. I shared it on the AFRALO newsletter mailing list. I [inaudible]. I think there's an approval [inaudible] on that newsletter mailing list. So [inaudible] outside of that [inaudible], but the [inaudible] from the Chair, from the [inaudible], from members. Then members who have updates, like [inaudible] and [inaudible] of them [inaudible] them and [inaudible] also capture that [inaudible]

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Thank you very much, Remmy. Thanks for the updates, Remmy. As Remmy has said, please, we need content. As you can see, we have the first version of the newsletter, thanks to Remmy and his newsletter team. Thanks to the [inaudible] leadership—

[OLIVIER]: Can I have the floor, Chair, please?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Who is that? Who is it? Who is speaking, please?

[OLIVIER]: Olivier speaking.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Go ahead, [Olivier]. 30 seconds, please. Briefly.

[OLIVIER]: What about the French release of the newsletter? Or the first issue – exactly, yes. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. Sarah, can you respond to that, please?

---

SARAH KIDEN: [Olivier], actually this should be you sending us because you are the Co-Chair for French. So let us know when or how [inaudible]. Then we can take it from there. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Okay. So, [Olivier], please follow up offline with ...

[OLIVIER]: We already have a translation of the first edition of the first newsletter. We do have translation.

INTERPRETER: It looks like he was cut off.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Olivier, if you have the translation, can you just get the translation – Olivier?

[OLIVIER]: Sarah. Yes, it was translated, and I think it was with Sarah at this point (the translation).

SEUN OJEDEJI: Please get this translated version to the secretary, Sarah, who will act on it accordingly. Thank you.

---

[OLIVIER]: [Okay]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you for doing that, [Olivier]. We move on to 5C: Upcoming call. Sarah, you have the floor on this.

SARAH KIDEN: We were approached by two people – one from the [inaudible] and one to talk about the [inaudible] -- and they wanted to organize webinars because they feel that the time doing the AFRALO monthly call is too short. So we proposed that they organize webinars and, instead of having two separate ones, we agreed that we should have one webinar as our final activity for December. During that webinar, we will have maybe half the time dedicated to universal acceptance and how you can contribute. Then the other one will be about the Latin script.

If the team agrees, then we can proceed and reach out to the speakers and then get back to the [inaudible]. Just please let us know what you think of if we can still have one more activity before the end of the year. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Sarah. Hadia, I see your hand up.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Seun. I have one question to Sarah about the speakers, actually, for universal acceptance and the Latin script. And I had a



---

question to Yaovi about the strategy and whether the group that's going to be working on the strategy has been formed yet or not. Thank you.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Seun, should I go ahead?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yes. Please go ahead, Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you. Hadia, the team will announce in the upcoming days about the formation of this group. So the group is not formed yet. It's part of the process. So you'll get an announcement from the team soon. Thank you so much.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. Tijani, your hand is up. You have the floor.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much. As you know, we have universal acceptance [inaudible] among us. He updated that earlier about the evolution of universal acceptance. Is he in the loop? Is he involved in this webinar? If he's not, we have to involve him. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Tijani. So we need to reach out the person so that he can actually be part of ... Action item. I think we can put an action item to

---

that: for Sarah to follow up with the person. I also mentioned this person in [Montreal], and it looks like it's going to be an interesting webinar once we get to reach out to him.

Thank you very much. We move to the next item on the agenda. Sarah, a review of AFRALO individual members rules of procedure. But before, let me just quickly talk about this. As we all know, the individual members rules and procedure was approved in 2017 (the first version) and currently, for the process, the procedure, it's indicated that we're going to review it after three years. So it's already due. So we need to review it. The leadership of AFRALO will be discussing this, the process of doing this. So we will be reaching out to you via the mailing list on how to get in touch with regards to any movement and suggestions. Please watch out for our mail from either the secretary ... I will send that.

I think we should move to the next item on the agenda, but, staff, please put an action item to follow up on the review of AFRALO individual members rules of procedure and [assign] to the Chair and AFRALO leadership entirely. Item 5E: RALO requests—

REMMY NWEKE: Hello, Seun?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Is there a hand up?

---

REMMY NWEKE: Yes.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Who is that? Remmy, you have the floor.

REMMY NWEKE: I would like [inaudible] to also, as we are looking at the review, the member [inaudible] also have a [demography] of [just the] number of what made up the individual members [inaudible] ...

SEUN OJEDEJI: Remmy, we are losing you. But if I get you – I think I got some of the [inaudible] I was saying. Perhaps you want us to know the current list of individual members that we have.

REMMY NWEKE: [Yes. Thank you.]

SEUN OJEDEJI: Can we quickly have that information, Sarah? Sarah will follow up with you in chat on that so that we can maximize the time, if you two agree.

REMMY NWEKE: Thank you.

---

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. FY20 RALO request for funding. For this item, I will ask perhaps Heidi. Heidi, will you talk about this?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Very quickly, this is based on an improved additional budget request for fiscal year '20. Each RALO received \$4,000 to have events – for example, ALS readouts, printing, etc. This is the page here with the online application. It is interesting that AFRALO has not yet used any funding. All the other RALOs have. So you have the full \$4,000 to use until June 30<sup>th</sup>, 2020.

I also just very quickly wanted to let you know that the process for fiscal year '21 additional budget request has now started. This is the website here. Again, the rules are on the page. That includes that all ALSes and individuals who wish to prepare a proposal need to go through their RALO leadership for this. The deadline to have that to the Finance and Budget Sub-Committee is the 6<sup>th</sup> of January. Thank you, everyone.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Heidi. As you've heard, we have not used available funds. LACRALO has not used it as well. But what is important is that we still have the full funds. If there is anyone who has some requests that fit the criteria, please, it's easy to e-mail to myself with the leadership in copy, proposing what you intend to use the funds for. Then we can then see how it goes. Eventually, you will still need to submit it to staff as indicated on the ... We will need to fill the request form. But please let us know fast so that we can go through it and then give the nod for the next step. Thanks.

---

Let's move to the next agenda item, please: The new ALS structures.  
Sarah, you have the floor on this.

SARAH KIDEN:

Regarding ALS applications, just a note that we have our change in leadership now. So we had discussed this particular application. I think what is left is just updating the new leadership on what was agreed to by the previous leadership. So we shall do that after the call, but, if any of you have comments about this particular ALS, please let us know. We'll factor that in before communicating to staff.

Regarding the individual membership, we have not received any applications of individual membership between the last call and today. I think [Evin] has an update to make regarding some people who are [inaudible] the mailing list. I'd like to invite [Evin] to speak if [Evin] is on the call.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Do we have [Evin] on the call?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

She is not.

SEUN OJEDEJI:

Okay.

---

SARAH KIDEN: Okay. Then I'll speak about that. There are people who asked to be added to the AFRALO mailing list as observers. We are requesting that you either confirm if you want to become an individual member or you want to maintain observer status or if you want to apply as an ALS. I believe staff already reached out to some of you, so, if you are one of them, please respond. If not, we will reach out again and request you to just confirm your status because we need to know if you are individual members or part of an ALS. That's it.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you, Sarah. Remmy, is that an old hand?

Remmy?

REMMY NWEKE: Old hand.

SEUN OJEDEJI: All right. Thank you. That brings us to AOB (Any Other Business), please.

REMMY NWEKE: Can I raise my hand now?

SEUN OJEDEJI: Your hand is still up, actually.

---

REMMY NWEKE: Okay. My hand is up because I asked a question [on signing] [inaudible] who couldn't make ICANN66 to complete our [last] training. How [inaudible]. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Heidi, do you want to take that. I'm sorry. Who was that speaking?

SEUN OJEDEJI: That was Remmy.

REMMY NWEKE: Remmy.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Remmy. Okay. Let me just see. I do have a few. No, I don't have your certificate. So let me follow up on where that might be. We did have a few people that were not there, but everyone who was in Montreal did receive theirs. So let me find out from Gisella and Yesim where yours is. I'll make that an action item. Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you very much, Heidi. By the way, I think I should also mention that one of the other things that we may also be looking at is the decertification process. So we may also have to discuss that as well as one of the activities that we'll be carrying out last year.

---

Having said that, I'm hearing no more AOB and no more comments or questions. I'd like to use this opportunity to thank us all for attending this call. I wish us all the best, a happy, merry Christmas, and a happy new year in advance. This is the last monthly call for the year. I think we'll still have a webinar later this year. So, for those who celebrate Christmas, merry Christmas, and happy new year to us all. Bye-bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks, everyone. Bye-bye.

SEUN OJEDEJI: And thanks to the interpreters, and thanks to staff as well.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Good night, good morning. Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**