
BRENDA BREWER: Good day everyone, this is Brenda speaking. Welcome to the SSR2 Plenary #95 on the 18th of December, 2019 at 1500 UTC. The members attending the call today include Russ, Danko, Kaveh, Laurin, Ram and Norm. Apologies from Denise and Boban. Attending from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Negar, Steve and Brenda. Technical Writer, Heather, is on the call. Today's meeting is being recorded, please state your name before speaking for the record. I'll turn the call over to you, Russ.

RUSS HOUSLEY: The first thing we'd like to do is make sure that everyone is set for the travel in January and they've been contacted for travel in March to Cancun. Has anyone not heard?

Okay, going to take the silence as everything is all squared away and that all's good on that front. I want to remind folks that in January we're getting together the 15th, 16th, and 17th and that the team dinner is the 16th. Brenda has asked you to make your meal selections; if you have not done that for the team dinner, please take care of that right away so that she can make sure everybody gets what they want to eat.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: You said the 15, 16 and 17.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm sorry, the 15th is a travel day.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Yes, good, just checking.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Sorry, I just had it marked down. I'm checking into the hotel that night. Yes, thank you, but the meeting is for the two days, the Thursday and Friday. Thank you.

We were hoping to have text from Denise, Kerry Ann, Boban, Eric and Scott to go through. Brenda, can you tell me which of those people is on the call?

BRENDA BREWER: Whose names did you say? I'm sorry.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Denise, Kerry Ann, Boban, Eric and Scott.

BRENDA BREWER: Zero.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Oh wow. Well, Heather, did their text make it into the document?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Yes, I'm actually looking at it now. At least I see changes by Matogoro and Kerry Ann. I'm looking for where the substantive changes are. The

privacy section on page 51, that has a bunch of new material from Kerry Ann, quite a bit.

RUSS HOUSLEY: If everyone could turn to that, there's like four pages of new material there; if we could scan it and if there's any concerns, we can at least raise them with Kerry Ann and get them resolved over the break.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Russ, I think Kerry Ann actually just joined the call.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Awesome, Kerry Ann.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Hi everyone, sorry, I had some coffee issues. I know I have coffee drinkers on the line, they know how important this is. I really apologize. I have coffee now.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay Kerry Ann, we're on page 51 looking at your text. Would you take us through it?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Is KC on the call? No, KC's not on the call.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

No, she's not.

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

Probably Kaveh and who else, Negar maybe. So, one of the challenges I was facing is, making sure that we're all -- there's more text here, I still think it's needs to be further developed, that's my disclaimer at the top. Is that, a lot has been happening in the background for the temporary specifications with GAC and other working groups within the community but there's not a lot publicly available on the websites.

What I was trying to do was to continue to search to see what are the most current updated information on the website because all the investigations we did with interviews etc., were almost two years ago. Any information we have in our in notes and I could be wrong, somebody could tell me they disagree, I think it's outdated, which I said last week. What I've been trying to do and not too much success was going through all the ICANN webpages I could find that touches on privacy, that touches on WHOIS but it's all still dates.

If you go down a little bit, the most recent thing that I could find on the temporary specification that's publicly available is on the privacy website with WHOIS, ICANN says that page needs to be updated. The page hasn't been updated. I actually have a disclaimer that says that and then when you go to page 2019 January, the Board had reaffirmed the 90 extension to temporary specification but since then it has been extended again because it's been reviewed by GAC.

I'm trying to see if all of our community groups, if we have publicly available information, this is my request now. If we have publicly

available information that have gotten from mailing lists that would help us to do a more intelligent summary of what we find as the AC's. The AC's haven't changed, GDPR has still been a challenge for ICANN. The last thing I found was them reaching out to the European Union's Board that delivered the GDPR but they got no response back.

GAC I know has been working on a guidance document but up to the last subcommittee meeting I went to during this last ICANN, it's still not ready for public. I think on adoption I get, still being a recommendation to the Board. All that to say is, I think our recommendation still stands but I think the context within in which we would have done it would have been two years ago and I'm trying to find intelligent arguments now to reflect the exact findings we had and conclusions in terms of our recommendations but something more intelligent to support.

I hope all of that makes sense. This is my best attempt so far but I still think it needs a little umph from current discussions, which we can publicly put in, that will be dated when we publish this next year, if that makes sense too?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Sure, but I wonder if we should up level it because it gets very, very detailed?

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

Yeah, I tried putting in all the information here because I want to make sure that we all understand the logic, which we had gone through to come up with the recommendations and then we could work with

Heather to summarize this if the main ideas are there because what I tried to do here was included all the links as well. Whatever we need we could either do one sentence with all the reference links but I wanted to make sure that all the content was there and we could work with Heather to summarize it, make is smaller.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

But the bottom line is, this has been going on for more than two years and the goal line keeps getting pushed away and there's very little information for the public to see what is going on.

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

And from our conclusion -- if you scroll down to the recommendations, our recommendations is pretty much saying that we need to have a more a transparent process, we need to have auditing in place. It's really that there's nothing that's really clear and based on even our current research, this is still evident.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Yep.

KERRY ANN BARRETT:

So, it has most of that there but as I said -- I'm in the office until Friday this week and then off for two weeks but I don't know when Heather would want to look at this, before our face to face or we could deal with at our face to face, up to her?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I'd love to work with you on it this week if we could. The more we have done by the face to face the better we'll be.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: I'm available tomorrow and Friday so just let me know. That's the summary for that. If anyone disagrees with the approach? Kaveh, I don't know if you would have more information from a Board level, is there any more recent board approval or decisions in the January one that I found that is publicly on a website that I could find? Or if Negar knows from Staff position? I tried doing different Google searches and I could find anything else as current as it should be, where if we do it December at least it will look good in March.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Kerry Ann, to the best of knowledge, there is nothing. I can also ask but I think since the timing is March, the aiming is better to wait a bit. I will keep track of this and maybe ask in January workshop, it's the end of January for publication.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Kaveh, if we're successful, we will be putting out for 40-day public comment in January.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Okay, I will get that before that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thanks. That's what we're trying to achieve and that's what we told the Board at that caucus session.

I'm not hearing anyone speak against the approach you took, just that the text needs to be up leveled.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: And I will work with Heather on this.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: That was the only substantive changes in the document.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I will send notes to the other authors and ask them to get it done so we can have it before the break. Remind everyone that next Wednesday, December 25th, we will not be having a meeting and the following Wednesday is January 1st and we won't be having a call that day either. That leaves one call, the 8th of January before we're getting together because the 15th of January everyone will be in transit. More on that later in the agenda.

NORM RITCHIE:

The volume of text still come in and rather than waiting till the next meeting and saying, "Let's review it now," could we ask the people when they do updates to just send an email to the list saying that they have updated it?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Yes, that would be very helpful. Thank you, Norm, that's a great suggestion. The next thing, there's a link in the agenda to a spreadsheet. There's three tabs in the spreadsheet, the first tab, the one that comes up when you first open is the work that we're trying to get done now, filling the gaps and the findings.

The second tab, the one labeled needs review, there's 38 rows in this table and what I would like to do is get people to take an action to do some of these assignments. The executive summary, overview, introduction and background I'm not worried about yet, I think those all get written at the end, so I'm not worried about that just yet. But the rest of them from definitions through doe, I would like to have people do mostly review regarding the things in this table.

For example, the definitions need expansion and SSR2 recommendations needs some text about the ones that basically say just finish and it needs objectives and so on. I'd like to go through this table and get some names. I know some of the team is not here, so I'd be okay if we recruit some after the call but I could I get an assignee for each of these please, starting with definitions. Is someone hankering to work on definitions?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: To perhaps make everyone a little less scary, there are some definitions in there now, I don't think we're talking about a full-on glossary. What definitions I do have were pulled in from basically the workplan for SSR2, I just think there's probably a couple other things that could be added to help make this easier for a reader to come in and understand what's in the document.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Alright, how about I take that one. SSR2 summary, basically the strategic objectives are missing, finish what you already said text is missing.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: The recommendations themselves I can handle; I can't necessarily do the strategic objectives and they're missing for a couple of them. Laurin, can I tap you for that?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, I will essentially go through it and take the newest ones and see if it's still all the same.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: If they don't have a strategic objective listed it's because it wasn't in the text.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, some we don't have them yet, I think that's correct.

RUSS HOUSLEY: It's just the SSR, the summary, that up-front summary thing. Do you know what we're talking about?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: In the ugly colors.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes. The budget transparency needs review, who would like to do that one, that is row eight?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: We had an action item for budget related things and that was originally assigned to Laurin.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I am unclear as to what this is and why this was assigned to me.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Because the recommendation says, ICANN should be more transparent with the budget for parts of ICANN Org related to implementing the SSR framework etc., etc., etc., and your comment on November 1st, which might have been a million year ago, I'm not sure, was, "As proposed we should speak to finance before finalizing this recommendation. SSR activities need to be defined and linked from here."

RUSS HOUSLEY: In other words, you already said you were going to do this.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I'm looking for it in the document right now and I can't find it.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: If you go to the ugly table, it's recommendation four on page nine.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Ugly table, yes. Yeah, yeah, now I'm starting to -- did we want to have another call on this or did we want to just email them?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Let's do this by email if we can, given the time of year. I suspect scheduling the call would be really hard.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Key stability issues, this needs pointer to the bi-law stuff, I'm tempted to put Boban but we've already asked him to do some other work that he hasn't delivered on and we're going to assign him one later down.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: That was already assigned to Denise.

RUSS HOUSLEYL Ah, you're right, thank you, that's what we were hoping she was going to have for us today. Okay, I didn't realize the overlap between these two tables, thank you. Denise is also I believe supposed to do the methodology which she should coordinate with Boban on that. I don't recall, was the S suite position findings...

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Kerry Ann.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I thought so. Kerry, did you remember that?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: I did. Denise and I were supposed to work on it together but I think I could try taking it on.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. I think number 12...

KERRY ANN BARRETT: It goes with it.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yeah.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I thought I had pulled out these extra ones, sorry about that because we've already covered some of them.

RUSS HOUSLEY: What does divergent recommendation text mean?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It means there's two separate recommendations in there. One the original text and one Laurin offered as an alternative.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, it's really tied into the above or not?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: No, I just need to know which one we want to go with. We have...

RUSS HOUSLEY: Let's see if we can figure that out now.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Sounds like a lovely plan, go to page 26.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I thought we did decide this? I thought we accepted Laurin's revised on previous call?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I may have missed that call, happy if we did.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Laurin, do you remember it differently?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I do not. I think we did replace it.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Does that mean you don't remember it all?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: That is exactly my point. I do think we went for version two but not 100 percent certain.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Is there anyone on the call now who has a problem with the proposed text that crosses that page boundary between the bottom of page 26 and the top of page 27? Okay.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: And this replaces those first three paragraphs, correct?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Great.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm going to mark that one Heather, since we now know what to do.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: We can mark it done, even better.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Disaster planning is -- I think this is tied into the work Boban's already agreed to do. With methodology statement are we talking about?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: There was a question on a methodology statement in -- this is in Work Stream 3...

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Can we switch back the screen to the Excel sheet? [AUDIO BREAK]

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sorry, we're trying to switch to my screen from Brenda's at the moment, bear with us just one second. There we go. Hopefully, you can see the spreadsheet now.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Perfect, thanks.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay Heather, I'm still confused.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: On page 27 you'll see Work Stream 3 methodology statement. I pulled that from a very old Google Doc. I would very much like someone to review this, to see if it makes sense, the original document did have a bunch of unresolved comments from KC. Is this what should be here or should it be something entirely different?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: It needs editing, especially for us to be consistent.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm going to ask Eric to do this, doesn't that make sense? I think this was started from his text.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It was indeed originally started from his text, that's sort of how I found it.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: That said, he also had no confidence that it was viable text.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you Norm, you took the next four.

NORM RITCHIE: Yeah, others can add their names to those as well because I think it's better if more than one person reviews these.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, I think that that will help us get done. Okay, row 22, contracts and agreements recommendations.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It would have been in Work Stream 3 because that's where we are in this thing. Page 38. There are various open queries, things that are marked as unclear that someone needs to go through and consider.

RUSS HOUSLEY: This is Denise's text I believe, should we ask her to do it or should we have somebody else so that we know we have more team members looking at it?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Didn't this whole section have a sub team working on it? Could someone else from the sub team take it?

RUSS HOUSLEY: This is part of the compliance sub team. [AUDIO BREAK]

Alright, I will leave this one blank and hope that we can recruit someone on email from the compliance sub team.

NORM RITCHIE: I think the whole team should be reviewing this.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I agree on that one because this has been a bit of back and forth and obviously took a long time to do, so I agree with Norm, we should probably go over this, multiple steps, durations, whatever.

RUSS HOUSLEY: We will certainly do that at the face to face but I hope that we have good raw material. I think these all, the next four fall in this category.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: The one that might be a little bit tricky and this could also feed into the glossary component is, the review team has said frequently that they really need to have a better definition for abuse, so I've noted that we need a definition in there for abuse.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you for that. I think the recommendation actually suggests a place to get one. Abusive naming, who wants to take that one? If the only issue there is the definition, I will take it since I picked the definition section.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Also, this should be in the text that I wrote, that essentially describes kind of misleading naming and something on abusive naming as well. When you look at that do keep in mind.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right. Eric, is the one for this one.

HEATHER HOUSLEY: That was another area where I pulled material from a much older document and I don't know if those findings are still valid and appropriate.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Best practices, I don't remember that.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: That's -- well, root server ops is the next one. The root server ops findings needs review and the root server ops best practices, that's just how it was labeled, you can actually pull that out.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yeah, because it's really a root server operations recommendation. I'm going to ask Eric to take these three because they are related. This is the topic that I think Alan provided text on, can we have somebody else take a look at it?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I think we did on a call. I don't think...

RUSS HOUSLEY: I think he sent email afterwards that you put in.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Did that not get covered on the call?

RUSS HOUSLEY: It was not available to everyone on that call. Who is somebody who deals with root zone data that can look at this?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I think it's likely that Eric [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yeah, I'm going to try and get Žarko to look at this. Measurements has got to be KC.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: That's also in root zone data, that's actually part of that section.

RUSS HOUSLEY: It still should be KC. I think the future challenges front matter was written by Kerry Ann, could we get somebody else to take a look at it?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Another place where I pulled the methodology statement out from a much older document.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Who is on the call that hasn't had one yet?

KERRY ANN BARRETT: I can review the methodology statement, if it's just review I can review -
- I can do lines 34 and 35, just to review it, the cryptography and methodology statement for Work Stream 4, I could review those two but I wouldn't be able to do the findings for the -- and the privacy findings, aren't we working on that now?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, that's what we are working on right now. You and Heather are setting up a call. Why does completion work sometimes and sometimes not? Eric's doing a huge amount of work on doe, just submitted a paper to a conference on it. Alright, can we go back to row 33. Can I get someone on the call who doesn't have an assignment yet to take this one? It should be pretty straight forward. Alright, I'll go to the rest of

the team on email. Name collisions, I'm going to go to the email for that one too, hearing nothing. Please complete these reviews before the first of the year.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Russ, I'll take the action to -- on this needs review tab to add a column for what pages these things are on because I suspect people who are not on the call will get lost as to, what am I supposed to look at?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Maybe you could just use the notes column already?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I could do that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Since we haven't used it for anything else.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Not on this tab.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right. The next thing is to talk about January 8th. My understanding is that it is normal for subject matter experts from the Staff to review where the team is and offer commentary and suggestions and review. I think this is a welcome thing to happen.

From my perspective it will avoid us making a recommendation and then Staff responsible for that going, well those guys don't know what they're talking about, we told them, so that we can address it now. On the 8th we're going to ask the subject matter experts to join us and let us know areas where they're strongly supportive and also disagreeing. Any concerns with that? I think it's good that we have that data before we meet face to face.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Sounds good.

BRENDA BREWER: I'm okay with that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Jennifer and Negar, if you could make that happen, that'd be great. Okay, I think that bring us to any other business. Is there any?
[AUDIO BREAK]

Okay, then I think we're done. Jennifer, do you want to summarize the actions?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, thank you, Russ. I noted a couple actions. First, Heather and Kerry Ann are going to work on the privacy text and Kaveh and Staff will confirm the latest information is included in there and follow up with Kerry Ann and the rest of the team. Russ will ask those who have

outstanding text to send a note to the list when they have input the text so that the team can review that ahead of the next meeting.

Russ also to send a note, we need volunteers for the name collision and Work Stream four text. Those who took assignments today to complete the review assignments ahead of the New Year. Heather is going to add into the spreadsheet the page numbers for each of those sections and then Staff to proceed with scheduling the SME's on the call on January 8th. I hope I captured everything, if not, do let me know. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: You captured everything I knew about.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Very good, thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: And I see the page numbers appearing as you were talking. Okay then, I think we're done. I wish everyone on the team a happy holiday and I hope you have a good time with your family.

KERRY ANN BARRETT: Same, happy holidays.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thanks, everyone.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]