

---

BRENDA BREWER: Good day, everyone. Welcome to SSR2 Plenary #93 on the 4th of December, 2019 at 15:00 UTC. Members attending the call today are Russ, Danko, Kaveh Laurin, Ram Krishna, Norm, and Scott. Apologies from Boban, Kerry-Ann, Eric, KC, and Steve. Attending from ICANN Org, is Jennifer, Negar, and Brenda. Technical writer, Heather, is on the call. Today's meeting is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record. Russ, I will turn the call over to you now. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, the first thing on the agenda is to make sure that everyone has been contacted regarding the face-to-face meeting in January in Washington. Is there anyone who has not connected with travel? I know they have not sent out hotel, but I think that if you're planning to be at the meeting, you should have closed on airline.

Okay. I'm not hearing anyone, so I'm assuming that means everyone is squared away.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Russ, this is Laurin. I think I remember that Boban said he hadn't been contacted, but he sends his apologies I think for this one.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hey, Russ. This is [inaudible] I have yet to book due to just booking council SPS this past week, so I'll get that done here shortly.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you.

BRENDA BREWER: Boban's set with his travel at this time.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, since there's email, that's been worked out.

BRENDA BREWER: Correct.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Good. All right. So, the second thing on the agenda is the filling the gaps in the report. I've gotten a bunch of emails this morning about people who said they did not quite finish. Denise and Kerry-Ann both sent that. Matogoro sent a note that said he has texts, but he'll talk about it when he joins the call. He's not yet on the call. Please let us know if he joins. Laurin, we went through some of your text last week and you had a couple changes to make. Are those done?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: In fact, no. Apologies for that, but they will happen this week. I'm sorry. I'm traveling this week so I couldn't make it. Sorry.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, all right. The next one is Eric. He did not make the call. I did not see email with text. Heather, did he add it directly to the Google Doc?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Unfortunately, not. The only text that has been added was from ... There's a little bit from KC and there's the stuff from Alain. Other than that, I haven't seen any updates.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right. So, the stuff from Alain, we talked about last week and it didn't seem to quite be crisp and to the point. So that was not adjusted since the call last week? Is that what you're saying?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It was not. And given that he rewrote both, he wrote the findings and then rewrote the recommendation. I felt like ... At least that's what I recall is where we left it last week was that everyone was going to look over what he did and decide if they agreed with the revised recommendation as well as looking at the findings.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Can you remind us what page that's on?

JENNIFER BRYCE: I think it's on page 39 or 40, 41.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: It is on page 41.

JENNIFER BRYCE: 41.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: The original is at the bottom of page 40.

BRENDA BREWER: Excuse me. Just to let you know that Matogoro and Naveed have also joined since we began. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, when we finish with the IANA Portal part, we will return to Matogoro's writing assignment. So, the recommendation now says that ICANN has committed to increasing the level of security and responsiveness for the root zone management system during implementation of the new root zone management system. ICANN Org should impose multi-factor authentication inside the authorization model and ensure integrity and authenticity for all communications. Does anyone have any concerns with that? I think that's essentially the thrust of the original, except that it drops all mention of the emergency changes because we were unable to come to any agreement on what kind of a shortened response that should have.

---

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I would also point out—and this is possibly just my ignorance in terms of how the ICANN systems work—but it's going from a recommendation that was called IANA communications and now it's root zone change management. Is that the same thing?

RUSS HOUSLEY: That is one ... That is the primary function of the IANA Portal.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. I'm not hearing anyone concerned. All right. Matogoro, you sent a note to the list that said you had text but wanted to talk about it on the call.

JABHERA MATOGORO: Yeah. Hi. I was trusting it [inaudible] it was after a [inaudible on] previous discussion that we've been doing, because it was just to find the rationale [inaudible] begins or the findings. So, from recommendation—SSR1 recommendations—there was [inaudible] management framework, informal [inaudible]. But also from the discussions that had been [inaudible] of ICANN using the a [variable certified] framework as we have been from the number [inaudible] those people who attended, it has shown that there is a need of having a framework that is ... I'm not sure how to [inaudible] and most of the recommendation [inaudible] doing that. So, that's the direction that

---

those are framing my texts as a rationale to justify most of the recommendation that has been given or [inaudible] security management as well as a security risk management.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, is there text anywhere that we can see?

JABHERA MATOGORO: Hello. Sorry, I'm away from my laptop, as I said in my email. But that's the direction of the text that I have already framed. So I would [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: I personally don't have any concern with the direction you just said, but I would like to see text, so I am sure.

JABHERA MATOGORO: Let me [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Did you send texts and email that I missed?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I believe his point was that he's written a text, but it's on his laptop, which he's not anywhere near, so he hasn't sent it yet.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, when do you think you will be able to send it?

JABHERA MATOGORO: Yeah, sure. I'll do that. Yeah, I will send it today, just after the meeting, after going back to my laptop.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I have a quick question for you, back to the root zone change management.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Sure.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Should I go ahead then and accept the text as written and remove the old text?

RUSS HOUSLEY: I think that makes sense to me.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Okay. Just wanted to verify. Thank you.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Not hearing anyone object. Okay. And Scott, I think you had some texts that you were going to produce. Has that happened?

SCOTT MCCORMICK: It has not. Unfortunately, I had a death in the family early Friday morning, so I have been on bereavement. The funeral is tomorrow, so I will try to get to this in the next couple of days.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Oh, condolences. And yes, the family first, but please make this next.

SCOTT MCCORMICK: Sounds good.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Thanks. Okay. And the last writing assignment is KC's. She sent text by email and put it in the Google Doc. This was regarding the research briefings. I'm trying to remember where that is because she put it in—not in suggest mode. Could you tell us what page that's on, Heather?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: I believe it's 51.

JENNIFER BRYCE: It is. I have to race from one app to the next to get to the un-mute button.



RUSS HOUSLEY: Thank you, Jennifer. Okay. 51, I don't know how you're able to do these things in the Wiki so quickly. Okay. So, Heather it appears has highlighted it. So, any concerns with the text that KC has provided?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I think text as is, is more or less fine. Maybe two or three minor edits somewhere, I don't know. I'm just wondering didn't we have a discussion about that one? We prioritized this. I might be wrong. That's why I'm asking.

RUSS HOUSLEY: No, we did have that discussion and KC was adamant that there is significant research going on that ICANN is not aware of. And so while others said this doesn't seem to be as significant in terms of impact as the rest of them, KC argued and we said, well, let's see what her findings text says and we now have some. So, my gut reaction to it is it kind of makes sense. It's not a big cost. But we probably would not prioritize it at the top of the implementation priority list. I don't know how others react, but that's my initial reaction.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: So, I think this is, I think we termed this as a low hanging fruit. I don't disagree with KC. Yeah. So, I think there is a lot of stuff happening in this field. There is a ton of good research. The challenge I think will be to turn some of what is happening in the research spaces into something

---

actionable for ICANN. I think this will be the main challenge. But other than that, I think it makes sense to have this.

And as I said, I feel this is one of the low-hanging fruit, where it's like, look, this would be a useful thing to do and it's not expensive and is actually pretty simple to do, as long as you know how to implement. So, I would say let's have the discussion when we're in DC, because most people will be there. But I think it's good to have it.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. So, this was the last of the writing assignments. Please, everybody who we did not get their writing assignments—and I know that most of them sent apologies for this call—let's get them done for next week.

The next thing that we're going to try and do is figure out the how to collect information on the prioritization. We heard last week from how SSAC does it. My concern with the approach that they use is it would take us at least half a day of the Washington meeting. So the leadership team is trying to figure out how to collect information through SurveyMonkey or email or something prior to the Washington meeting, so that we can get everybody's input and take a look at where the team as a whole thinks the most important to implement recommendations are. My initial reaction is maybe we just ask each person to give us their top five and we see where the overlap is. If we get a lot of people saying for the same ones, then we'll have a good feel in Washington where to start that discussion. Any reactions to that approach?

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

I think I alluded to this on Monday's call as well. If we just give people, say just choice of five, then I feel in some ways, it's a good thing. We will likely end up with a small number of those that are kind of the key ones. And I don't think we'll have that much issue, just based on our discussions in Montreal. But how do we deal with the rest? So, another option, just to throw it out there, would be a lot of the survey tools, right? You have like a zero to one hundred slider in terms of importance, right? And so, we could do something like that, so you can distribute it a bit more in a granular fashion, or maybe we do more than one category. Because, otherwise, my fear would be that we have this clump of, yes, this is super important, and then the rest we don't have any [inaudible] anymore.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

I see. Yeah. I do recall you saying, and the idea is that, well, we do kind of not have to have a completely numbered ordering. But we do want to be able to separate the really vital ones, the middle, and then the lesser priority ones. But your approach may give us the data to see where the clumpings naturally occur. And we already agreed on the dependencies in Montreal, so that is important, because we don't want one that is to be high that's dependent on a low, for example.

LAURIN WEISSINGER:

Yeah. So, I'm happy to take an action item and show some of these things, the kind of options. Except this week I'm going crazy with travel, but as soon as I'm where I should be, I can just go into say [Qualtrics] or something and show examples of some of the ways you can do it,

---

because there's actually some pretty fun stuff that's also easy to answer. So, I'm happy to do that hopefully by next week.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

That would be great. Thank you. Okay. I think that takes us to the any other business part of the agenda. Is there any? Okay. So, Jennifer, my collection of the action items or people to finish filling in the gaps. We need text from Denise, Kerry-Ann, Matogoro, Lauren, Eric, Scott. So, that's the list of people I have. And Laurin just took an action to put together some approaches to collecting the priority thoughts from each of the team members.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Okay. That sounds good, Russ. I think Laurin had a small writing assignment to make some edits as well, but apart from that, same, same, same.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Yes. That's why I put him in the list.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Okay. Got it.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Okay. Great. Hearing no other business, thank you so much, and we'll talk next week.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]