

BRENDA BREWER:

Good day everyone. This is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Plenary #91 on the 13<sup>th</sup> of November 2019 at 15:00 UTC. Attending the call today we have Danko, Eric, Ram, Kaveh, Russ, Jabhera, Denise, and Laurin. Apologies from Alain, Boban, Kerry-Ann, and Jennifer. Attending from ICANN Org we have Negar, Steve, and Brenda. Technical Writer Heather has joined us. Today's meeting is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record. And Russ, I'd like to turn the call over to you. Thanks.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Hi. so, the big thing that we need to do is follow up from the very fruitful meeting we had in Montreal. Heather pulled together a document that has all of the findings and the recommendations together and found out there were some recommendations that did not actually have findings. So, what we need to do is get people to put pen to paper. She sent out a spreadsheet as a Google spreadsheet that lists the areas that need writing. And I sent out a note with the link and asked people to sign up.

And hey, four of them got signed up but we have others that need signed up for, and I'd like to see if I can twist some arms on the call today so that we can the writing finished in terms of having raw material for each of the sections. So, someone put a question in one of them, we'll get to that as it comes along. There are twelve chunks of writing, so one third of them have already been claimed. The first one is that Work Stream 2 needs a pointer to the Bylaws that are aligned with doing that, so I think that was part of the introductory material, and I

---

would like to have a volunteer to take a stab at that section. You've got the one from Work Stream 3 you can steal from. Someone, please.

DENISE MICHEL: Russ, this is Denise. So, is this just a paragraph referencing the relevant Bylaw Sections?

RUSS HOUSLEY: That is my understanding about what's missing, yes.

DENISE MICHEL: Responsibility? Okay.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Were you asking a clarifying question or are you putting your hand up?

DENISE MICHEL: Well, if no one else is volunteering then yes, you can put my name down and I'll make sure that it gets done.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, thank you. The next one was the C-Suite Position and Kerry already volunteered to do that but says, "Denise, I'd like your help." And the next one that needs is for the Security Risk Management, and I'll note that basically this is the whole Work Stream. The Security Risk Management, the Business Continuity Management, and the Disaster

---

Recovery Planning. The first one needs findings and the other two need to be linked to the ICANN Strategic Plan.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: Russ, this is Heather. Technically, they need findings as well, but I was the one that put in the question. Could we just combine the findings for those three areas since they are so intertwined? I thought Boban would be very good for that if he would be willing.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, I think it's very reasonable to have a section of findings followed by three recommendations, one in each of these areas. If that's what you meant. I know Boban is not on the call, but he does seem like the right guy for this.

BREBR: This is Brenda. I'd like to announce that in chat Jabhera offered to do the Security Risk Management Section.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I'm sorry, who did?

BREBR: Jabhera Matogoro.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. Cool. Alright, Laurin can I tag you for the Strategic Objective links?

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, that's okay and I think I can contact Boban because I've talked to him about this. I'll drop him an email because he can't be on the call but I'm sure he can help out, as well.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, cool. Okay, needs findings, the DNS testbed. I note that Eric already took the DNS-over-HTTPS, so I'd like to tag somebody other than Eric if that's possible. Eric, I'm not hearing anybody put their hand up. Can you do it?

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Which one is this? I'm sorry. I missed the beginning.

RUSS HOUSLEY: DNS testbed.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Sure, yes. I can do that, sure.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. IANA Portal. This is the one that we talked a fair amount by email at the end and I believe it is now greatly reduced to two-factor authentication and use digital signature on emails, and all the rest of it has been forced to or removed based on work that we learned about that's already going on. And so, somebody who actually deals with Root

---

---

Zone Management would probably be the best person here, or someone who attended the first L.A. Meeting. Come on, somebody.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: This is Heather. Alain isn't on the call, but he seemed to have quite a number of opinions on it. Could we ask him to do it?

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I'll put him as a placeholder. Thank you. Name Collisions. This is something that needs to be sorted out before we have another gTLD round.

DENISE MICHEL: Wasn't Scott McCormick interested in this? [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: He might've been. [inaudible]. I think he is interested. I don't know if he'll deliver. That's my concern. I will put him as a placeholder and send him email. And the last one, someone put a comment in, maybe we should just delete this one. I think that's what Nick's means. The research and briefings, I think that comment comes from the panel that was held by the Board on Monday where they said, "Please make all of your recommendations significant." As well as a bunch of other things, and the question was did this rise to that level? So, I think the proposal by, I don't even know who typed that in there, Laurin, is that we drop this recommendation from our whole report.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: That was me. This is Eric. I was the one that put Nick's in there. It was based on some conversations I had with folks.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: I agree. This, while important, it might not have the level of the other ones. But I think KC was also trying to speak.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Yeah, I just didn't hear the conversations at Montreal so I'm wondering what transpired. I'd have to go read the section for it that said it's not significant, and I don't know what significant means, how it's measured.

RUSS HOUSLEY: It's not measured. It means we think it's significant. Anyway, I personally think one is much lower impact than the other things in our report, in terms of the amount of improvement to ICANN.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: This is Heather. KC, just so you don't have to go digging around, I put a link into the chat about the whole significant question and how do you measure that and where did that come from. That was part of the output from the Board and what they would really like to see in the

---

reviews and recommendations. If you scroll down to the very bottom of Page 3, The Principle For Effective Recommendations, that's kind of where this comes from.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Thank you, Heather. That is helpful.

RUSS HOUSLEY: One observation from my hallway discussion was, isn't that what Tech Day is supposed to do? Which is not entirely completely aligned but significant research results could certainly be briefed as part of Tech Day.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: So, put my name on this and I'll go review it and see if I agree that it should be nixed.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: My experience is that there's a whole bunch of research that doesn't get in front of ICANN. So, when I read whoever put this recommendation together, I thought it would have a significant impact to ICANN because all that stuff would be... Well, okay. I'll take a pen for that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, KC, if you find that you want to keep it, could you write the fact that there's a whole bunch of significant research that doesn't get in front of ICANN?

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Yes.

RUSS HOUSLEY: That's really all we're looking for in the findings.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Yes, absolutely.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay. So, I'll leave that one to you. Thank you. If we could get this done in the next two weeks or so, that'd be really good. Okay. This was the most important thing to get done so that we can have the corpus of work all in one place.

Alright, I will send notes as soon as we hang up to Alain and to Scott, ask them to do that, and if for whatever reason they are unable to, I will write to the whole team and say we need a different volunteer. Okay, was there anything else on the Agenda today?



---

NEGAR FARZINNIA: Hi Russ. This is Negar. Yes, we have one more item which is an item that KC had brought on about the tool that SSAC is using for prioritization.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right, so that was discussed in Montreal. SSAC uses a tool for prioritization and I didn't know anything about this tool, and I think someone was given an Action Item to find out whether we could use it. And I think that was Staff, I'm not sure.

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: I don't remember if there was a tool. This is KC. It was a survey mechanism, it might've been kind of manual or it might've been a Survey Monkey kind of thing. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a tool, although by some measure... It was a method, and the method was really about just getting people's gut feelings about prioritization and I wouldn't call it necessarily a good method but at least it would be on the table how people feel about it and then we could launch into a conversation about it from there.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Can you give us a pointer to the process?

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Yeah, let me ask. I'll just ask SSAC.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, cool. If you could just send that to the list so that we can apply it.

---

KIMBERLY CLAFFY: Yeah.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Because that discussion certainly got bogged down. Alright, thank you KC. Is there any other business then? Alright, short call today. Thank you. Please do your writing. Bye.

ERIC OSTERWEIL: Thank you, bye.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**