

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, good evening to everyone. Welcome to the AFRALO monthly teleconference call on Wednesday the 2nd of October 2019 at 18:30 UTC.

On the call today on the French channel, we have Minata Zong-Naba, Gabriel Bombambo Boseko, Fanny Salyou, and Aziz Hilali.

On the English channel we have Mohamed ElBashir, Abdalmonem Galila, Abdulkarim Oloyede, Ben Kyemba, [inaudible] Caleb Ongudele, Dave Kissoondoyal, [inaudible] Hadia Elminiawi, Haroun Mahamat Cherif, Isaac Maposa, [inaudible] – apologies for that. Minata Zong-Naba, Moriam Omowunmi Sulaimon, [inaudible] Remmy Nweke, Sarah Kiden, Sarata Omane, Seun Ojedeji, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Yaovi Atohoun, and Gabdibé Gab-Hingonné, and Gabriel Bombambo.

Our interpreters for today are Isabelle and Camila, and from staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on call management. We also have Joanna Kulesza on the English channel.

We have received apologies from Olivier Kouami, Mary Uduma, and Jonathan Zuck. Thank you very much, and with this, I turn it over to you, Mohamed.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Claudia. Good evening, everyone. Thank you very much for joining our monthly conference call. That's very much appreciated.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

We have hot issues and a couple of items to go through. I think first, we can review the action items that currently we have from the last call. We have the [inaudible] check on ICANN 66 schedule and to determine if there's a way that we can have a meeting with ATLAS III participants from Africa with the board members or at least schedule a meeting that involves the board members.

I think my understanding, there's discussions behind the scenes trying to arrange finding a slot for that meeting and trying to arrange for that meeting. We don't have a confirmation yet about a specific date and time for the meeting but we will update you once we have that.

Sarah did send an e-mail requesting volunteers for the newsletter drafting committee, and then we have many volunteers who come forward and hopefully we can have an update on this meeting. And then we have the AFRALO leaders to discuss whether AFRALO would like to submit a statement on the multi-stakeholder, let's say, mechanisms, which is currently one of the public comments open for consultation now. So I think that also will be discussed in this call, and if there's a need to submit a new statement, because our previous statement or last meeting, ICANN [66] statement was related to this.

And also, AFRALO leadership to discuss possible meeting with the new African ICANN board members. Basically, this is related to the first item which is currently staff is trying to help us to find a venue and a time slot for the meeting.

So that's regarding the action items from the last meeting. Then we have on today's agenda, we're supposed to have a presentation on

---

At-Large policy platforms. That's the work that's been led by Jonathan Zuck and Joanna Kulesza.

Jonathan is not on the call, but Joanna is here. But I don't think she's able to present a presentation for this. Joanna, if you wanted to give an update, and then yourself or Jonathan could send an e-mail to the mailing list with the slides and details about the At-Large policy platform idea, that might be useful. So you have the floor if you want to provide an update on the call.

CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Mohamed, sorry, Joanna, we actually lost her. That was the beeping noise. She's not in a good location right now where she can speak. There's a lot of background noise and her line is not stable. She just dropped.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Okay, so they can send us to the mailing list details about At-Large policy platforms initiatives and then hopefully, if there's any questions, we can raise it, or later on, next month they could present it, or in Montréal, they could present it as well. This was a last-minute request.

So then we go to agenda item number four, the open current ICANN public comments. Basically, there are several open public comment notices currently, and basically, I can try to go quickly about those. There is the next steps to improve the effectiveness of ICANN multi-stakeholder model, which is due on 14th of October, and basically, our

---

last ICANN meeting statement touched on that and we submitted feedback to the chair of this working group.

There is also Amazon public interest commitments, PIC, and that is due on 14 October. It's currently in a drafting phase. There is also the invitation to provide feedback on ICANN board proposed public interest framework, that's due on 18 October, and there is no currently penholder from ALAC on this.

There is also the Competition, Consumer Trust, and Consumer Choice Review Team accepted recommendations, which is the plan for implementation and next steps for those recommendations. That's due on 21st of October, and it's currently drafting phase within ALAC. And Jonathan is the penholder for this public comment.

Recently, ALAC has ratified some statements. I would just list the statements, and I'm sure we'll hear from our ALAC colleagues more details about those. We have three basically ratified statements, one for the proposed definition of name collision and the scope of inquiry for name collision analysis project, and evolving the governance of the root server system and the draft financial assumptions and projections for fiscal year 21-25.

Just a note here, ALAC have raised concerns of ICANN putting the assumptions of new gTLDs and brand TLDs as a source of revenue for the next period. They have raised concerns about the organization is dependent on the next round for generating revenues.

So this is regarding the current open public comments and the recent ratified statements by ALAC. I think we can proceed to the reports

---

section of our agenda, and here we give the floor to our ALAC members, colleagues to provide their updates. We have Tijani, we have Seun, and I'm not sure if we have Hadia as well, but we'll give Tijani the floor and then Seun, and then Hadia to provide us an update on the ALAC activities.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Mohamed. I will let my colleagues to start because I have been traveling the last time so I am less concentrated than they are. So please, Seun, or Hadia.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Seun, please.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Hello. This part may be Seun's [inaudible] but anyway, let me thank you so much, Mohamed, and let me start with a quick update with regard to the expedited policy development process. We just finished our face-to-face meeting in LA on the 12th of September, and there, we discussed the zero draft of the initial draft.

The discussion – we introduced or we talked about a standardized system for access/disclosure which we call the hamburger model, and the discussions mainly went around three possible solutions for this model.

The first model is the one in which you have one central point that receives the queries from the requestors, and that central point could

supposedly be ICANN. In turn, the central point [passes] the query to the registries and registrars who provide the answer to the central point which in turn returns the query to the requestors.

One model is distributed in the sense that you have the data residing with the registries and registrars, and centralized in the sense that you have one central point through which queries come in and go out. This is pretty much like the model that was introduced by the technical study model.

The other possible model that we talked about was one totally distributed in which the requests or the queries [go directly to the] registries and registrars, and who in turn return the queries to the requestors.

Obviously, here it's totally distributed where you have the queries going to the registries and registrars, and the data also residing with the registries and registrars. The third possible model that we were talking about is almost totally centralized. It is distributed in the sense that you still of course have the data residing with the registries and registrars, but that a central point – and this is possibly ICANN – also has the gTLD registration data. This central point receives the queries and answers them to the requestors and has the registration data residing in it.

Also, we discussed accreditation, if there should be accreditation or not, and accreditation mainly refers to identifying a group or a type of requestors. And then authorization, which means allowing an accredited person access or disclosure to a certain type of data, and we

---

---

[stress]here that accreditation does not mean that the accreditor automatically gains authorization.

So again, a possible form of accreditation is having multiple accreditation entities, some of which could be national accreditation entities, and having another entity, possibly ICANN, accrediting these accreditors.

The merit of this system is actually having specialized entities being accreditors of their group, and also, it could serve the needs of some of the law enforcement agencies.

Another possible form of accreditation is having one accreditation entity with multiple authorization entities or a single authorization entity. Also, talking about the model with multiple accreditation entities, you can have one single authorization entity – different or similar – or multiple authorization entries.

Basically, many of the discussions were going around like who should have the data –

NKEM NWEKE: Nkem Nweke [inaudible].

HADIA ELMINIAWI: I'm sorry?

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Go ahead, Hadia.

HADIA ELMINIAWI:

Okay. Thank you. So mainly, the discussions were around like who should have the data? Should it only reside with registries and registrars, or should a central point – presumably ICANN – also have the registration data? Who should make the decision of full disclosure? Should it be the registries or the registrars, or another entity?

We were also talking a lot about automation, how much automation is possible and how much is permissible by law, because according to the law, you cannot have a totally automated process from start to finish where there is no kind of human intervention whatsoever.

So basically, these are the discussions going around, and many of the decisions actually depend on many unclear and uncertainties, like what ICANN would be willing to take or be responsible for, who [inaudible] and how do the liabilities shift?

[inaudible] and one more thing in relation to the ALAC. As you mentioned before, the multi-stakeholder model, the next steps in the improvement and effectiveness of the multi-stakeholder model statement is ready for comment. It introduces the basis issues that were identified by the community during phase one as hindering the effectiveness of the model, and asks if the solutions proposed [solve] these issues, or those issues should be included in the workplan for improving the effectiveness of the model. Thank you, and that's it for me today. I'm open to questions. Thank you so much.



---

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you, Hadia. Just a quick question if you can just briefly answer it from our side. There's a growing concern from law enforcement, cybersecurity experts, consumer protection, intellectual property agencies about the slow process that currently everyone is facing in the finalizing the access to the WHOIS and the outcome of the EPDP. So, is there a timeframe when this will finish? It seems every time there are new questions and there's no proposals to solve those issues. Just briefly, please.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Okay. The good news is we do have a zero draft for the initial report, and we are currently working on it. Maybe we could be able to have a first draft of this final version of the draft during the Montréal meeting. If we don't, then we are having another face-to-face meeting end of January, after which we should be able to have a first final version of the draft.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you. So that means up to next year, January, at least, there will be a final draft. Although I hope those stakeholders could wait for that. So the next reports are from you, ALSes and the members, so please provide.

NKEM NWEKE: Hello, chair.

---

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Feel free to either raise your hand or – yes, who’s speaking, please? Hello? Either you can raise your hand on Zoom or if you're on your phone, you can just say your name and please provide us with your update and activities that your ALS conducted in the last months. I think we have Abdulkarim who did ask to speak.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Thank you, Mohamed. [I raised my hand since] I just wanted to ask a question [inaudible] talking about the ICANN multi-stakeholder model, that we’re going to discuss it. [I thought we’re going to be discussing it. I was] looking at the agenda and couldn’t find it. I don't know if we’re going to discuss it.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: We can discuss it now as part of the ALAC activities. If you think we need to provide further response, we have a deadline of 14 October to do that. So what's your suggestion, Abdulkarim? Or what's your input here?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: Okay. Thank you. I just want to provide a brief background. I think Hadia provided some background on [inaudible] so I'm not going to [inaudible]. My suggestion is because this is like the next stage to [what we] presented before, and what has been done is ICANN has hired a consultant who’s actually dealing with this. What they’ve done is they’ve highlighted some of the issues that were pointed out before, and the issues have been reduced to eight now.

---

All we're supposed to do now is to see if there is existing solutions to some of the problems that have been identified. And for me, what I'm going to suggest we do is, because it is like a [inaudible] now is something that's supposed to be straightforward. What we can do is if we can look at what the ALAC is doing, because [inaudible] for the ALAC statement, and comment on the Google doc so that we can harmonize whatever we need to do with the ALAC statement.

If we now discover that we can harmonize some of what we want to include in the ALAC statement, I think that is when we should now probably submit our own statement differently from the ALAC document. That is going to be my own suggestion. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you, Abdulkarim. Maybe to take it further before giving the floor to others, if you can lead on the drafting of AFRALO's statement or response, that would be great. We have raised several issues that already was communicated earlier. Because you are already a penholder on the ALAC statement, you'll be able to have a view about if our issues are really captured or not, and if we need to provide our own statement. So can you take the lead on AFRALO 's response to the next steps [inaudible] effectiveness?

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE:

Yes. [inaudible].

---

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Okay. Thank you very much. I have Tijani, and then Aziz on the queue. Tijani, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you very much, Mohamed. We didn't finish with ALAC update. Hadia gave only an update on the EPDP.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Yes. Please go ahead, Tijani.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: So I'd like to continue, and I will start by the evolution of the multi-stakeholder model as we are speaking about it now, and I want to remind you that we already provided a statement about that last meeting. So we are in advance on this.

But now there is specific questions for this public comment, and I think that it is good to respond to it. And Abdulkarim is the best choice since he's already on the response of the ALAC. He's one of the co-drafters of the position of ALAC. So Abdulkarim is a very good choice for that.

The other issues we are working on are also the ICANN 66 and especially the questions to the board since we'll have questions to the board, and we are also working on the geo names and there was a survey done by the CPWG. We are working on the SubPro in general, including geo names for the other parts. There is an issue about .amazon public interest commitments, but we saw in the ALAC that we don't have any interest to comment on.

---

What else? I think those are the issues [inaudible]. Of course, the summit, of course, the review, those are the recurring issues that we are always working on. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Tijani. I'm not sure if, Seun, you have anything to say on the ALAC update.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Thank you. Just to add one more thing about the [inaudible]. The board selection process is ongoing. The chair of the BMSPC, Alan Greenberg, is coordinating the committee. I've not seen the call for EOI yet, but I think I may have missed it, but I'm sure the call for EOI will be announced very soon. That's just for those who may be interested in submitting nominations for the At-Large seats on the ICANN board, to watch out for it. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Seun. I think now let's get back to the agenda. We are in the AFRALO ALS activities, so basically, please update us about your organization, activities that have been conducted in the last months. It will be really great to listen to the local activity that's been conducted.

Aziz, I think you already had requested to speak earlier, so maybe I can give you the floor.

---

AZIZ HILALI:

Hi. I'm on the French channel so I'll be going through the interpreter. Good evening, everyone. I just wanted to add that last week, we had an IGF for North Africa between the 28th and the 29th of September, which [inaudible] the attendance from many Northern African countries.

At that IGF, we discussed some of the main subjects and challenges regarding our African region and specifically Northern Africa. We have, as I said, created an IGF that is specific to Northern Africa. That's all I wanted to share with you. T y.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you very much, Aziz. I have in the queue Tijani, and then Ramanou. So Tijani, please.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you very much, Mohamed. I'd like to continue on what Aziz said, since my ALS was also part of this North African IGF and perhaps I didn't hear well the translation, but what Aziz said is that there was a creation of youth's North African IGF inside the North African IGF. So it is a new creation.

My ALS also participated in an event in Lebanon, in Beirut, about the data protection [in banking and governments.] I was one of the speakers on this panel. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you, Tijani. Ramanou, please.

RAMANOU BIAOU:

I am from ISOC which has organized a DNS forum in Benin in September. This is a yearly activity that takes place in Benin that has helped develop the Internet in our country as a forum where we can discuss on the development of the DNS through a number of activities, and this year, aside from the training session that we organize on the DNS and the digital economy surrounding it, we also had an exhibition that was called Internet City where we presented the different technologies that are used by the different startups at the local level and their initiatives.

We had over 500 participants attending the meeting, and it lasted a week. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you very much, Ramanou. Congratulations on your IGF in Benin. If there are no further updates, we can go to the next agenda item which is an update on the universal acceptance. [inaudible] one of the universal acceptance ambassadors, Abdelmonem Galila I think is in the call. Abdelmonem, just please briefly update us if there's any new updates on the universal acceptance.

ABDALMONEM GALILA:

Yes, I am here, Mohamed. Thank you very much. My greetings from Washington for RSSAC meeting. Me as universal acceptance ambassador, my main goal to increase the awareness about the UA readiness for all the applications to accept, validate, store, [inaudible] [display] all domain names and e-mail received in the appropriate way.

---

For my activities, I organize – me as a part of national telecom regulator of Egypt [sponsors] universal acceptance [hackathon] for one of the biggest universities in Egypt for [faculty] of computer science. We'll make [hackathon] about universal acceptance. We have more than 170 applications submitted for this [hackathon.] We'll only select the best 30 applications for computer science students to be inside this [hackathon.] [inaudible] for this to have multiple variety of platforms, we'll have iOS, Android, desktop OS and web. The main goal to develop application for medical healthcare system that will have [inaudible] want to register your child for vaccination, you will register with your e-mail address internationalization address. So you will receive an e-mail from the medical system automatically for the vaccination times with [some notifications,] and we selected one of the best teams who [wins the] prize from [inaudible] of Egypt and also, I succeeded to add a training about universal acceptance at the Information Security Institute in Egypt, and I will start my [mission] by the start of November in multiple [countries] inside Egypt. And also, my main goal for the next few months is also to engage more inside the government. I am trying to think about how to engage more for the government engineers to make their application to be ready. I don't [want it to go to for academia was my deep] effort, and [ignore] my company, my organization as a telecom regulator and the ministry of communication.

Also, as an activity for universal acceptance, I will also organize another universal acceptance [hackathon] but for large [inaudible] and I will engage all the [inaudible] from Egypt inside this universal acceptance [hackathon]. By the way, I invited one of the UASG leadership who is vice chair of universal acceptance steering group, Dusan from Serbia to



---

attend this [hackathon] and make some presentation, and I think the university [hackathon] was very successful for academia, and it's just a start for a series of UA [hackathon] and series of activities for universal acceptance inside Egypt. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Abdelmonem. That's great. One of, I think, the issues that we're trying also to [do] is trying to reach out to the Amharic language community. Amharic scripts is one of the African scripts that currently is not present on the DNS but is something that's useful to – at least we can build awareness, so in the next round of gTLDs or IDN ccTLDs, maybe we can have an application from Ethiopia or Eritrea for the Amharic script. Thank you, Abdelmonem.

We can go to the fifth item in the agenda, items for discussion. First, we have update on ATLAS III and AFRALO participation by Fatimata. Unfortunately, Fatimata has apologized. To my knowledge, Fatimata is working with staff to find a slot so we can have a meeting, the African ATLAS participants and African new board members and our community as well. So I'm not sure, Sarah, if you have any more update on this item as well while Fatimata is away.

SARAH KIDEN: Hi Mohamed, I think that's the only update. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Sarah. Then we have the main issue, one of the issues that has been raised in the mailing list, the issue of the visa

---

applications to Canada and high rejection rates currently. Our colleagues have experienced [I'm aware] about 13 rejections from our community. We're not sure about other communities. There's lots of work behind the scenes within ICANN Org, between the meeting organization, the travel team and others trying to help in the reapplication process, and I want to just state that Canada – this is not the first time. I think ICANN held two prior meetings in Canada. I missed one meeting because of the visa process. I got the visa even after the meeting has been completed. So Canada is one of the places I'm sure we can raise concerns about hosting further meetings there with the current issues of visa that have been experienced this time and previously.

I'll open this for discussion. Hopefully, we can have maximum five minutes on this. I have Ramanou on the list and Abdelmonem as well hands up. So Ramanou first, please.

ABDELMONEM GALILA: Can I speak?

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Abdelmonem, you can proceed while – because we didn't hear Ramanou. So Abdelmonem, please go ahead. Please be brief, and then –

ABDELMONEM GALILA: Yes. Thank you, Mohamed. What I would like to say is that I am here now in Washington for RSSAC meeting. I didn't see anyone from Africa engaging inside this area of technologies. They are looking for changes

---

to the root server, they're looking to make SLAs for root server operators. I didn't see anyone from Africa even in the meeting, even remote participation. I don't know why.

So [inaudible] me as a member of ALAC, I hope we could engage more inside these large technologies, and what are the foreigners trying to change and why they want to change. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you, Abdelmonem. I think that's noted. If there's anything you want to share as well in the mailing list, so at least could serve as a heads up for the community, that will be great. Remmy please, and then Ramanou.

REMMY NWEKE:

Thank you, Mr. Chair. My comment is regarding the number of rejections we're having from Canadian embassy. I think [inaudible] you have to do with multi-stakeholder [inaudible] it's important also that if we are making an assessment at ICANN 66, it is important we also have highlight that once again and [inaudible] ensure that relevant [communities will be holding,] there must be a [inaudible] because if you look at the level of rejection, [inaudible] the same place, [inaudible] issue that [inaudible] have the power to do that. [inaudible] multi-stakeholder we are all trying to build within the Internet ecosystem. Thank you.

---

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you, Remmy. Ramanou, please. If Ramanou's unable to speak, we can go to Abdulkarim.

ABDULKARIM OLOYEDE: I'm sorry, Mohamed, I don't want to speak on this issue anymore. [inaudible]. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Okay. So there's a proposal that – we can issue a statement, or we can have members speaking at the open forum about this issue, and I think that's important. The more voices we have speaking about the need for considering the easiness of visa or visa process as a factor in selecting the meeting venue, I think that's important for us, for AFRALO community. Unfortunately, there are countries that have very restrictive visa procedures specifically to our countries, and that's the political reality unfortunately we can't change, but what we can change is that ICANN should be sensitive to this issue and that either in terms of selection, or the support that's needed with this process.

Getting a rejection is not a good sign, and is not something that really anyone would like to go through, especially if it would be flagged on your record as well. So I have Daniel and I have Seun in the process. Please go ahead, and if you can be brief, that would be great. Daniel, and Seun.

---

[DANIEL NANGHAKA:]

Thank you very much. Just to highlight one thing about the visa process is that sometimes you have to appreciate the work that ICANN travel support has done to us the visa.

Firstly, I can testify that for Japan, I was denied for a visa and travel support worked a lot and I was able to get visa there. That was for Japan. And the same thing happens here for the visa for Canada, I was rejected visa, but one thing is that it's not only that we [face the challenge,] but also there are other people from different respective regions that [are facing the] challenge of visa.

And I think this is a situation [inaudible] aware about but what we have to simply do is consolidate with other respective regions what can be done. Probably, if possible, if Canada could be put on the list whereby an ICANN meeting will not necessarily require [inaudible] so also, a lot of effort to get the meetings team to make a decision where the next ICANN meeting can be.

Regarding also another thing is that I don't know if it may be – allow me to share it at this point about what is happening in the ATRT3 because I may not be able to make it to the end of the call, that for right now, we're [still doing] surveys and we have [inaudible] the analysis of the survey, and hopefully by the time it comes to Montréal, we shall be having the first draft of the ATRT report that will be shared and we shall be calling for input.

And also [inaudible] Africa's participation regarding the survey is really great, and I would like to [inaudible] survey to make the African voices

---

be heard, especially in reference to contribution to accountability and transparency of ICANN Org.

So with those two remarks, I'd like to [inaudible] respective support. Back to you, Mohamed.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you, Daniel. Seun.

SEUN OJEDEJI: Yeah, thank you. The issue of visas [inaudible] said about that. I think perhaps one of the things that we may want to also raise is actual selection of meeting venues. So there probably has to be some reconsideration on which of the meetings should actually go to which country depending on the visa situation of course.

At the moment, in the case of Canada, apart from the fact that this is ATLAS III event, it's also the location for the third meeting which is the largest. So not reducing the fact that the ATLAS III is important. It's also important to also see that this is the biggest ICANN meeting and this is not going to just be affecting the ATLAS III participants alone, it's also going to be affecting many other participants who are not even funded. So imagine funded participants are actually denied, what do we expect for those who don't even have a letter of sponsorship from ICANN?

So I think there has to be a real discussion about this. While of course we recognize that Canada has its own sovereignty, we also need to recognize that ICANN's multi-stakeholderism needs to be enhanced and ability for people to attend the meetings with a less complicated visa

---

process needs to be one of the important criteria that goes into the meeting decision or requirements.

So maybe Canada can be used for smaller meetings, not for big meetings like the AGM meeting. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Thank you very much, Seun. Okay. I think we have extensive discussion on this one, and we can take it to the mailing list about what we will do in terms of we speak at the open forum or we submit a statement. I have Tijani and Hadia. Please be brief so we can proceed to the next item.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Mohamed. Just to say that this issue of visa has been raised several times ago, very long time ago, and I was always complaining about that because we had always african participants who were not permitted to come to ICANN meetings because of this issue of visa.

I have been on the meeting strategy working group and the new meeting strategy that was developed, I insisted on the fact that the visa should be one of the criteria to choose the venue of the ICANN meetings, and it was written in the recommendations of this working group. I am really sorry to see that this was introspected, and I will repeat it in Montréal very loud. Thank you.

---

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much. Maybe we can give Heidi a chance to respond, [she'd] like to provide us an update. And then Hadia. Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yeah. Thank you. I'm sorry that I skipped the queue. Just very quickly, we all heard and read all of your notes, and we immediately took them, escalated that. León is aware, Maarten, Cherine, Göran, David, they're all aware of these issues.

You will have seen that [Nick] responded to Maureen's message that was put on the At-Large worldwide list, so if you have not seen that, please take a look at the worldwide folder. I've put some of it in the chat.

And I know that several of you did get rejections, but as [Nick] noted, this is not an unusual number for any ICANN meeting. I don't believe that it's just because it is in Canada. And I know also that when a location is identified, that they definitely do take that into account, the visa issues.

So my hope – and I know that [Joseph] has started to reach out to all of you who are traveling, and particularly those who have had their initial visa application denied – but again, when in Montréal, the message of ATLAS hopefully will be that predominant message, and of course, if you wish to raise the visa issue, that is part of ATLAS, but the real work of ATLAS will be just that, it's going to be the work that is happening in Montréal and will happen after Montréal, and hopefully, that is the message that will really resonate to the people that you're speaking with. Thank you very much.



MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Heidi. I appreciate that the staff support really are on this. Hadia, if you can please be brief, and then we need to have Sarah provide us an update about the newsletter.

HADIA ELMINIAWI: Thank you, Mohamed. I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to refer to the importance of having the visa part of the [inaudible] of the selection of the venue, and apparently, that's already been happening. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Okay. Thank you very much. Yaovi, you have a raised hand within the same topic? Please, Yaovi.

YAOVI ATOHOUN: Thank you, Mohamed. I hope you can hear me. Just to [inaudible] on behalf of the engagement team, we are so sorry for that, and we want to assure you that the relevant colleagues are doing their best. So we are so sorry.

Just to share with you the information that on the 17th of this month, we are planning a webinar on universal acceptance and IDN. You'll get it from the mailing list so that you mark it on your calendar on the 17th of this month from 2:00 to 3:00 PM UTC. And also that Montréal, we are planning to have a session on ICANN's strategy plan and Africa strategy.

---

So I want to share this information with you so that you have them in your calendar. Thank you so much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Yaovi for your support. It's really appreciated. Sarah, I'll hand it over to you so you can provide [inaudible] the update about the AFRALO newsletter team, and also, after that, the new ALS applications and individual applications. Please, Sarah, go ahead.

SARAH KIDEN: Thank you for this opportunity. As Mohamed mentioned before – sorry if there's an echo, I'm in an empty room. I just walked out of a class. During the last meeting, we had an action item that we should invite people to join our working group [inaudible] to be in charge of collecting stories for the newsletter.

We sent out the call and we received very good feedback, very many people expressed interest to join the team. We had our first call sometime during the month of September and from that meeting, a few ideas came. Two people were selected to co-chair the team, so that is Remmy who is the co-chair on the English side, and then we have Olivier Kouami on French. So I'm going to invite Remmy to show you a sample of the newsletter, and then we'll invite your feedback and see how to get this forward.

But before Remmy speaks, the plan is that before the next ICANN meeting, we will have our first newsletter. The idea was to just collect – well, there were many ideas, but the first one that we thought was a

---

good idea is to just collect profiles of the people who are selected for the ATLAS meeting and just to know who's coming, what they do in their countries, and then share that, and after that, we'll continue from there. So Remmy, I'd like to invite Remmy to show us a sample, or if he can't speak, I will share the sample. But maybe staff can show it on the screen.

REMMY NWEKE:

Okay. Thank you, Sarah. [We met, just like she said.] After that, there were some propositions and we went back to [the start] again, and ended up coming up with a template. We think that the AFRALO community [inaudible]. We took time looking at the newsletter of [inaudible] AFRALO, so that also [inaudible] should be AFRALO kind of newsletter.

Starting from the top, you see where the name is very [loudly pronounced,] and just like Sarah also said, we are contemplating coming up with a brief profile of those who are going for ATLAS III from Africa, and also [inaudible] AFRALO, showcase them using the newsletter, and then that will be [inaudible] production of the newsletter [inaudible].

In the newsletter, [inaudible] divided it into segments. As you can see from the chairman's desk, there'll be [inaudible] while at the other side of this, there'll be a comment from his desk [inaudible] trending [inaudible] desk, he'll be able to share some things with his community, message, telling them [inaudible] update members.

And then a little bit on that, [we thought of] having an At-Large policy comment, and advice [inaudible] the community's doing with regard to

---

the policy comments or advice. [inaudible] there should be a segment for the AFRALO secretariat to share some other, larger things that the secretariat [would deem fit] for us to also keep the community abreast of what is going on.

[inaudible] list of the [inaudible] team, and we intend to have a few names after that as contributors, and then link it up to the Wiki. Because we are many, we'll not be able to share [inaudible] the idea on [that.]

And if you go down a little bit, [we expect] to have some highlights coming from the ALAC [inaudible] what they are doing [inaudible] community [inaudible] also keep a tab on. That will also be [inaudible] there, and we also considered having some updates from ICANN [inaudible] stakeholder engagement team because we believe that they also have their own schedule of events and engagement [inaudible] be very helpful to our own community in terms of educating them and [inaudible] their opportunities also for communities to [inaudible].

The next item online there is the ICANN update, generally coming from the board or message from the board [and what the board is doing,] [inaudible] give us some tidbits on what is going on there in the process.

We also have [inaudible] ALS that are doing things [inaudible] also be accommodated so that we don't lose [inaudible] to open up the system [inaudible] our ALS and our members of what is going on in other communities within Africa [inaudible] organization.

The next one is the ALS [inaudible] where we also intend to showcase what the ALSes are doing and take some briefs from them [inaudible] It

---

is expected that after meetings like this, we should be able to have [inaudible] briefs from those ALSes [inaudible] for us to explore within the [inaudible].

Last but not least, there is the archives which we think should be necessary moving forward. [What we're actually] working on is the AFRALO newsletter, the [inaudible] should be removed. Maybe it's an oversight. We're going to still try as much as possible to be proportionate as we go on.

Finally, linking the AFRALO to other [inaudible] Twitter, Facebook, and then the website. So [inaudible] to have on the newsletter. [inaudible] we don't want to take it for granted that they are supporting [us.] So we also wanted to recognize that, and then have the [inaudible] need to reach out to them, and as we know, this newsletter will become handy at every public engagement that we do, either within Africa or any other part of the world, especially ICANN meetings. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR:

Okay. Thank you very much, Remmy and the team for the work. Really appreciate it. I think we're already almost ten minutes past the hour, so Sarah, if we can speed up the next items on the agenda, please.

SARAH KIDEN:

Okay. Thank you, Mohamed, and thank you, Remmy. I just wanted to say thank you to Remmy because he came up with a lot of the ideas and he actually designed this first sample. So Remmy, thank you for taking the lead on this.

---

So I would like to point to a few things for the people who requested to join the team, you were sent a GDPR consent form. Please complete it so that you can be added to the list. You cannot be added to the mailing list without completing this form, so we request you to do that as soon as possible.

I also wanted to share that we are collecting updates, so if we reach out to you, please respond as soon as possible. We will give a deadline of October 12 so that we have enough time to collect the stories and send it to staff for translation.

I think we agreed during the call that we shall start with English and French and eventually maybe by the next issue, we can have Arabic as well, though for the first one, we shall have English and French. So if you have any feedback, please send it to us, to the team, and we'll be able to consolidate this. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you, Sarah. If there's any time frames, do you have specific, let's say, deadlines for contributors to provide news for us to help you in terms of news? Any timeframes? That will be useful so everyone could [inaudible].

REMMY NWEKE: Can I take that?

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Go ahead, Remmy, please.

REMMY NWEKE: Okay, yeah. The plan is that because we also have very good number of persons joining the team, we intend to also share some [inaudible] will work very closely replicating [inaudible] save time along the line.

[inaudible] just like Sarah announced, we're looking at the next two weeks [inaudible] will also be shared, maybe with Google docs, but we can make input and then finally share it [inaudible]. And that's the way we should also be doing it moving forward. So we'll get feedback and get more information within the given time.

That will also give us an opportunity at a later time to look at this and then structure them to be readable, so to say. Thank you.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Remmy. That's really appreciated, for you and the whole team. And now I think we are approaching the last items on the agenda, which is the new ALS applications and the individual membership applications. So Sarah, can you please take the lead?

SARAH KIDEN: We have an old ALS application from ACSIS Cote d'Ivoire. We received the due diligence. I think the process has taken a bit long because there's some background [source] to get some more information, and I don't think we are able to actually discuss it on this meeting because we have to look at it. So I will push this to the next meeting if that's okay with members. That way we'll have enough time to look through the applications.

---

We have not received any individual member applications, and that's it for the update. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Okay. Thank you very much, Sarah. That's really appreciated. So we are finishing hopefully earlier, before our hour and a half timeframe. So if there is Any Other Business we can attend to ... I have Silvia, Any Other Business from staff. Please, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, hello. Just wanted on behalf of the staff to thank you, Mohamed, as well, as chair, and Fatimata as vice chair, and this is the last monthly call that you are chairing. You know the positions will be renewed in Montréal. So I really wanted to convey our appreciation to you for your leadership, and thank you very much to everyone. Thank you, Mohamed. That's all.

MOHAMED ELBASHIR: Thank you very much, Silvia. And actually, this is my turn to say thank you, and Heidi and Evin and [Yesim,] Gisella, all the staff who were really – Claudia – helping us behind the scenes and do a lot of work for the RALO.

And also, I'd like to welcome Seun and Aziz as new incoming leaders, and I'm sure they'll be continuing AFRALO leadership journey in terms of positioning the RALO as we have [active, engaged,] and providing useful insights and working as a big [hive or a] big family. [inaudible] definitely shall be continuing her support to the new leadership.



---

I'll be available on the mailing list but taking a back seat, and happy to help when needed. So I really thank you, everyone, for this [chairing in the] last two years.

Okay, so if there is no Any Other Business, we'd like to conclude the meeting, and thank you very much and have a good night. Thank you very much. Appreciated. Bye.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: Thank you so much, Mohamed and Fatimata. Thank you all.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]