
YESIM NAZLAR:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Regional Leadership Call taking place on Monday, the 9th of September 2019 at 1500 UTC. On our call today we have Eduardo Diaz, Olivier Crépin-Leblond, Maureen Hilyard, Sébastien Bachollet, Vrikson Acosta, Joanna Kulesza, Jonathan Zuck, Glenn McKnight, Lianna Galstyan, Satish Babu, Lilian Ivette De Luque Bruges, and Harold Arcos. On the Spanish channel we have Sergio Salinas Port. Currently we don't have anyone on the French channel.

We have received an apology from Ali AlMeshal. From Staff we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Evin Erdoğan, Claudia Ruiz, Alperen Eken, and myself, Yeşim Nazlar present on today's call. We will have Spanish and French interpretation for today's call and our Spanish Interpreters are Claudia and Marina, and our French Interpreters are Claire and Camila. Just a kind reminder to please state your names before speaking for the transcription purposes, as well as the interpretation purposes. And now I would like to leave the over to you Eduardo. Thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much and welcome everyone to the first meeting of a series of meetings that in this case the North American region is going to chair, since ICANN66 is approaching in Montreal. Today we have a very packed agenda, and it depends on the discussion, but I don't think we will be able to touch every point. At the end I'm recommending that if that happens, that we have a followup meeting next Monday at the same time, just to finish with the agenda points that we could not do

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

today, if that happens. Mostly it's because we have a bunch of Action Items that came from Marrakech that I want to go one by one with all of you to make sure we understand what they are and what are we going to do about it, how are we going to approach these Action Items. We have an ATLAS III update which is going to be a very interesting time in Montreal. We have an update on the ATRT3 Survey Status and we're going to talk also about ICANN 66/ATLAS III Activities.

Sébastien needs to go, and he's going to cover the ATRT3 Survey Status, so why don't we jump there, Sébastien, you have the floor. That's down here at the end, that's Topic Item 003. There are some questions there, I put these questions in just to help in the discussion and to help understand this survey. If you can go over what is the purpose of this survey, why it is important, who needs to participate, what role each RALO has, and I know NARALO filled out the survey, but I would like other RALOs to tell if they did already or not. So, Sébastien, please, you have the floor.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: It was Maureen, we don't want to take her place, but if you want me to...

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, it's because you said that you wanted to go before.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I can answer questions, but I don't want to take any lead on that, it's Maureen first, and if she needs me, I will be able to answer, if she needs me.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, Maureen, please.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. Really, Sébastien, I would prefer that you do lead on this one. I know that we've all been working on the various surveys, and that's the individual, the ALAC one, and the RALO surveys. We're all looking at gaining some perspectives of the different groups within At-Large. But I'll leave it to the expert to actually explain the key purposes of the surveys, I'll leave it up to Sébastien, thank you.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, thank you very much, Maureen. Sébastien Bachollet speaking. As you know I am a member of ATRT3, I am delegated by At-Large. Therefore you can ask in each region the right person, it will be maybe easier. You have two types of survey, one for individual, that's the one you can ask everybody to fill, and you have one for group, and group is ALAC, obviously, but it's also the five RALOs and it's a group inside ICANN, it's for constituency, stakeholder group, and SOs and ACs. The difference between the two is that in the group survey you have the possibility to fill in, a place where you can write something. It's less the case in the individual where you have a choice of answer for easygoing with the survey and how we will take into account the results.

The objective is to have the filling of the groups and individual, of course it's about transparency and accountability. It's organized around the relationship with the Board, we talk about NomCom, we talk about specific topics like Finance, and so on, and so forth. Therefore, you don't need to answer each and every question, but it's very important that you do it, because it will be very important for the ATRT3 team to get this feedback and not work just with our ideas, but with more input from the general public, the individual, and from specific groups, that is the group survey. I am available to answer any questions.

My last point is to help have a collective answer is the reason here is why you have a document on the group survey, to be able to cut and paste it either on the wiki page or on Google doc, or any other tool you want to use. I really hope that each RALO has their own and ALAC has its own, also, because it will be easier to work out. Thank you very much. Ready to answer any questions. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

This is Eduardo, I do have a question. Is this the first time an ATRT group sent a survey around like you're doing this time? Because I don't remember seeing something like this before.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Sébastien Bachollet speaking. I will not say, I don't know if it's the first time, but it's the first time we have a split survey between individual answers and group answers. I don't remember either that it was done. One of the reasons that it changed is the fact that there is no more NTA representatives, the Chair of the Board, the Chair of the GAC, the group

changed a little bit the way the team is working, it may be one of the reasons. And we think that it is important to have your feedback, because the next place you will have the possibility give feedback is when we will put the report for comments, but it will be after Montreal, and we think that we need your input before we figure out the answer. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Are there any questions for Sébastien?

SATISH BABU: Eduardo, this is Satish, I have a question.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Satish for the record. Thank you, Sébastien, for the background. The questions are very interesting. I have a question for you. Will the results of the survey be consolidated and shared with the community or is it only for the working group's internal consumption? Thank you.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: As a general topic, we are talking about transparency, therefore I don't see why it will be just for us. I am sure that the results, not the individual answers, but the global answers will be published in the

report and maybe before. It's not just for us. Because if we want to have your input after, we need you also to be able to look at what are the collective answers. Therefore there is no reason for it being just for us, for the team. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Any other questions? When is the deadline for the survey to be filled out, Sébastien?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Sébastien Bachollet speaking. If I remember well, I think it's 23 of September, but I will check.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sébastien and Eduardo this is Heidi, I believe it's the 13th of September.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah, it's the 13th. Okay, then if it's the 13th then we have 4 days more. It's important that the individuals fill it by this date. Now I don't recall, yes, you will record it anyhow, but if ALAC or NARALO needs 2 or 3 more days, I'm sure we will find a way to allow that. But please try to keep, we're already late, therefore we need to figure out how to make this work. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sébastien. Any other questions? I don't see any hands. NARALO already filled out this survey. All the other RALOs, you can just

write it in the chat that you have done it, and if you haven't done it, please do it. I think it's important feedback to the ATRT group. As an individual member, I filled it out too, and I found this is a survey that cannot be sent everywhere, because the terminology there, you need to know about ICANN to answer some of these questions and put it in the right context. But some of us are able to answer most of the questions, so please, those people that you know that can answer the survey as individuals, please do send the survey to them. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Eduardo, it's Mohamed, I have a question.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Ah, okay, go ahead, I'm sorry.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you. What we did in NARALO, we did send an email asking members to reply to the survey. I'm just wondering how you responded as a RALO, as a collective, because our approach now is that the leadership will draft a response and we're going to share it with the members for any comments and update, and that will be the final input from the RALO. So, how you submitted NARALO response, was it as leadership you send it, you consulted a small group?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Mohamed. In the NARALO case, Glenn and I did it together, we didn't consult with the whole region, we answered as to the best of

our abilities. Obviously some people have filled it up on an individual basis. That's how we did it. I think consulting with the region, that would be one day of doing it, it just takes a little bit more time, but we didn't do it that way. I don't know how other regions are doing this. Does anyone else care to share that with us?

SATISH BABU: This is Satish, can I speak?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, please.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Eduardo, Satish here. Initially we had a problem when the leadership team wanted to do it jointly, but the survey instrument is not designed to let that happen because there is no way we could share and fill out the survey. But then Evin helpfully provided us with a Word document that we could fill up collectively. So currently we have left it to the team leaders or the leadership team members to fill up in a kind of joint fashion and towards the deadline, I will clean it up and summarize and send it off.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sébastien your hand is up.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Please go to Sergio first and like that I will be able to comment.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sergio, please, you have the floor. We don't hear anything, maybe because of the translation?

YESIM NAZLAR: Sorry, Eduardo, this is Yesim speaking, if I may, I'm currently checking with our French interpreters.

SERGIO SALINAS: Sergio speaking now. Good morning and good afternoon everyone. I just wanted to say what we are planning to do in LACRALO. We are going to conduct a public consultation amongst anyone who wants to take the survey, but in addition -- there is a lot of noise in the line, I cannot hear anything. Now, can you hear me?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we can hear you.

SERGIO SALINAS: Sergio speaking. So, today in the LACRALO Board meeting we will try to complete this survey collectively or else it's topical for the Board members to fill in the survey collectively. This were the two possible paths of action, one, either work collectively with the region and the other is the Board completing the survey as a group. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Sergio for that information. Sébastien, please.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, thank you very much, Eduardo. The idea is to have the leader of each RALO to fulfill the answer and with the individual survey to allow everybody who wants to answer it. The idea was to have the input from the groups who are dealing with the Board, with other groups. Therefore I don't think that it is necessary at the stage to first go to each member and to come back to build an answer. It's why we have two surveys.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Sébastien. Sergio, your hand is up, I don't know if you want to go back again, or this is an old hand? Thank you so much. So not having more questions, Sébastien, thank you so much for your time, and explaining this survey to us and the importance. So we are going to move again back to the agenda to Discussion Item #2, which is to go over the Action Item that were generated during Marrakech. I took the time to look at them, I didn't go to the recordings or transcripts, so most of these Action Items, I don't know the context, even though I was in the meeting, that was many weeks ago, I don't remember the context of how some these happened or created.

So I have several questions that I put in. I want to have some consensus about what we want as a group to do with these Action Items. So let's start with the first one, where Joanna and Jonathan, that's about a hot topic document from ALAC. So, when I look at the hot topics, I can take,

I don't know, I'm making this up. Let's say security is one of the hot topics, I'm just making it up as an example.

So, for us, the RALOs, we're going to work on these hot topics to provide information to ALAC that's what I think the hot topics are all about. We need to understand what is it about that thing that is important? What are the issues within that topic that are important for ALAC, that needs information or regional input into those hot topics. If there are six hot topics, or seven, what is the priority? Not all of them have the same priority, so we need some kind of indication of what to look into first and not all of them at the same time, otherwise we'll go crazy, and some kind of timeline. If we're going to discuss these hot topics, are we going to talk forever, or are we going to take it up to this point and then we take the other one. Also, this hot topic list, has this been validated by ALAC?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Eduardo, this is Heidi, I'm sorry to interrupt, I just know that it's a very packed schedule and I also know that I had an excellent discussion with Joanna, Maureen, Jonathan on all these questions. You're asking the exact question that has been discussed and Jonathan and Joanna have put together a great presentation to take us to the next step. I think that's later on the agenda.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

I don't have them presenting anything, but if they are ready to present...

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm sorry, I thought that was on the agenda. So, they're ready, if you want to hand it over to them, we have a presentation ready to do.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure, go ahead, please.

JOANNA KULESZA: Yes, it's Joanna, we're ready to go. I know Jonathan is on the line, as well.

JONATHAN ZUCK: I'm here, I'm happy to go ahead. Thanks for your questions and comments, Eduardo. They did a lot to inform how we were thinking about this. It's been an evolving effort and as you will see later in the slides, I think it has led to an evolution away from talking about them as hot topics instead of talking about them as kind of an At-Large platform and sort of like a platform of a political party, if you will. And so that's completely in response to the objections you raised about the temporal nature of anything called hot topics, so I just wanted to plant that seed. So, this has been a bottom up process from the beginning.

Some of the criticism that has come back is that this is somehow a top-down process meant to impose topics on the RALOs and nothing could be further from the truth. It's really meant to create a document to be helpful to the RALOs as they're setting their own priorities and not to impose those priorities. So, if you look at the regional hot topics matrix

that Glenn created here in this slide, these are hot topics by the RALOs and Glenn thankfully with his work was able to demonstrate which were the "hot list" by which ones were of interest to the greatest number of the RALOs. And so if you go to the next slide.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Jonathan, this is Yesim, are you able to see the correct slide? I've already scrolled down to the next slide.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Now I can. Thank you. So, on this next slide what you will see, and we will make these slides available, Joanna has gone through the exercise of ranking these by their popularity among the RALOs. So this was the bottom-up process to collect the issues that we don't think are hot because they're hot this moment, but of ongoing concern to the ALAC and to the At-Large community, and so we're trying to figure out a document that will be helpful in defining what the end user concerns are about these issues, et cetera, and that's what Joanna and I have been tasked to lead as an effort in the community to create this platform document. Next slide.

So, I'm going to go through this pretty quickly, I'm not going to read through this, but the slide presentation if you go back and look at it is looking at the remit of ICANN, so part of the exercise here is to determine what things are actually in the remit of the ALAC and therefore part of this platform. And so these are just the references to the bylaws that suggest what the remit is. Next slide.

And so these are the topics that sort of percolated out of that bottom-up process. IDNs and Universal Acceptance, DNS Security and Abuse, DNSSEC and Cybersecurity, ICANN and Human Rights, as well as GDPR versus consumer protection, that's something that has been an ongoing discussion. ICANN Jurisdiction and Internet Governance., New gTLDs, Perspectives and what a new round might look like, ICANN Transparency and Accountability Facilitating multistakeholder consensus within the ICANN community, Partnerships, et cetera, and Capacity Building on all themes above. So these are some of the issues that have come up as a result of that bottom-up process. Next slide.

These are some things that came up that seemed, when compared to the remit of ICANN, seemed outside the scope of the ALAC: Public interest, Surveillance, Net Neutrality, Accessibility and discrimination, Digital Literacy, Gender Diversity, and this is gender diversity on the internet, not necessarily within ICANN, that's a different issue, and Internet Access Availability. So, this is where the document currently stands and we're just looking for feedback on this. It's not a document yet, it's just a PowerPoint. We're looking for feedback on these things, I'm happy to take questions or comments on that, as well. Next slide.

So, we got some feedback that the title of hot topics wasn't really appropriate because it made it seem like topics for the moment, and when are they actually important, et cetera, and so we're looking to make this document look more like a platform, like we said, so the concept behind it is more durable for a year or two, and so that's why the idea of moving toward the idea of a platform and away from the notion of hot topics came into play. That was directly a result of Eduardo's previous intervention. Capacity building is not a policy

theme, it's just a way of getting information out. There was comments to add consumer trust and the public interest commitments from Subsequent Procedures. Next slide.

So, we're talking about calling it the At-Large Policy Platform to identify current policy issues within each RALO with RALO leadership support, note respective RALO approaches to each theme to better understand regional end user issues, and to summarize regional policy issues at the ALAC level as policy driven advice. That's the goal associated with creating this platform document. And so Consumer Trust was added and Public Interest Commitments was added. Next slide.

So, these are the themes. IDNs, DNS Security, Human Rights, Privacy versus consumer protection, et cetera, ICANN Jurisdiction, New gTLDs, Transparency and Accountability, Facilitating multistakeholder consensus, Consumer trust, and Public Interest Commitment. So this is where the document now stands and if we got to the next slide, I think it's just a request for feedback. We're going to have a wiki space, we're going to get ALAC approval for the platform and its themes, communicate the scope and aims back to the region, sustain a bottom-up model of identifying policy themes through the documents that you create, and RALO leader involvement, and use it as an overall resource within the ICANN community. Next page.

So, happy to take questions and comments, et cetera. I wanted to make this an interactive process, and so this is where the process stands right now in terms of what we think should be included in a platform and what we think shouldn't be, and we're interested if you've got a question or comment, feel free to speak up. Satisfy, go ahead.

SATISH BABU:

Thanks, Jon, for the presentation. I think it's very nicely concisely summarized. I have a question on the process and one comment on additional topic. On the process, since this whole hot topic approach is kind of ad hoc, do you think all RALOs should have an ongoing process of once a year summarizing their regions policy priorities? Would that be a better approach than just kind of ad hoc, you suddenly wake up and do survey, or whatever, that's one. The second point is we recently had PIGA, it is a capacity building program organized by ICANN and the South Korean government. One of the topics that people were very interested in was evolving the ICANN multistakeholder model, which I think is an important thing for all of us. Personally I would like to have that included. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Satish. I think it probably is a good suggestion to have an annual refresh of policy and priorities at a regional level and make is less ad hoc, and then to create that process, make that process a feeder into this document that will be a living document to show what the At-Large policy priorities and positions are overall, like I said, kind of a platform. As far as evolving the multistakeholder model, that's definitely something that has been taken up quite a bit in discussions at the policy level, and so it's mentioned in here, not mentioned using the words that Brian Cote and the Board have been using, so we should probably say that explicitly, but it's definitely part of the platform. Thanks, Satish. Harold, go ahead.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Harold Arcos speaking, thank you very much, Jonathan. As a matter of fact, I want to make two comments. First of all, when you talk about this annual refresh, we have two audiences, one that answers the surveys about the hot topics as we used to call them, and this new audience, relative newcomers, that they suggest new topics that certainly they do not know about our previous topics. We'll have another audience in the RALO, they have been doing some monitoring of these topics.

So based on what Jonathan has said, it's important to have this annual refresh, but bear in mind there are two audiences, because perhaps they do not match the topics they want to discuss on an active level. Secondly, in LACRALO, based on the hot topics I'm talking about, 2017, 2018, we had five working groups, but suddenly there were six of these hot topics. One of them, for instance, in the general matrix is ICANN governance, and even though there is no specific group to that effect, there has been a webinar dealing with this topic introduction about internet governance and about the ICANN ecosystem. Anyway, we keep them working on each of these groups, because they consider this and they deal with the six topics appearing in the matrix.

We gave an update on that in Marrakech. The idea is to continue with the liaisons for instance, because we have been very successful with the LACRALO working groups and the liaisons. Finally, one of our Action Items, and we mentioned it in Marrakech, was that Jonathan and Joanna might attend or go to the RALOs so as to talk about the hot topics and so it's great is you may start next Monday, because we have

our monthly LACRALO meeting next Monday. This is one of the Action Items that we have to complete. So it would be great if we may start with this communication or talking about these hot topics for LACRALO next Monday. Thank you very much Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thank you. That's a good point about different audiences. So, this isn't meant to be just a duplication of efforts that's going on at the regional level, where there is going to be a lot of regional specific activities. It's about trying to percolate up from those regional initiatives to something that can live as an overall At-Large platform. And so that audience is meant to be a broad general audience, including the ICANN community and those that are interested in working with At-Large.

And so it's cross-regional and cross-audience in that way. So, we will have to do our best in such a platform to explain things in such a way that they can be understood by the broadest possible audience. And yes, I think we're going to try to do presentations for each of the RALOs, so probably starting the LACRALO on Monday. Thanks. Eduardo, go ahead.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Jonathan. I see the presentation and I keep getting confused, because now there is going to be a wiki page called Policy Something that will have all these topics on that page. Universal acceptance is not policy, we don't do any policy with Universal Acceptance, it is an issue that ICANN has, but it is being called policies. ACS is an important issue, but it's an issue that has to do with registries

and registrars and companies that do not have universal acceptance of the new gTLD, but it's not policy. But has been there as a hot topic, I'm taking this as an example of why I get confused, by the way. And it's not policy.

And then we have 10 of the hot topics there that have been identified, how do we see RALOs working on this. Should we take one and work for a year? Should we take 10 and work in pieces? And how in the amount of volunteers that have been engaged in each region are going to work, when we really need to focus on policy. So, when ALAC is working on specific policy, we can go back and say can you provide us input on this issue. Not on universal acceptance, because universal acceptance is not what we're talking about, we're talking about something else now.

So, that's the part I'm struggling with and I don't know the RALOs but I have come to these meetings every time, and we're spinning the wheel with this thing. I'm looking at ALAC to say tell me what you need to know, tell me what's important for ALAC, and we'll use that, because otherwise we will be doing all kinds of stuff and going in all kinds of different directions, and in the end you won't get the regional input that I think we are here to do. Thank you. I just wanted to have your comments on this. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Eduardo. I think that's part of why we're trying to move it away from a hot topics document and talk about it as a platform. So it's a little bit like a political platform, and that's why it includes something

like universal acceptance. It's sort of like what are the issues that the At-Large are focused on, right? And some of them are policy issues, some of them are reform issues inside of ICANN that might be evolution of the multistakeholder model, some of them are issues that are related to the internet but related enough to the DNS so that it's important, such as universal acceptance. So it's kind of like what is the At-Large mission and the issues that it is tackling.

And so what makes them hot or not is more temporal, as you said in the past, what's going to be the priority today or tomorrow is separate from the prioritization in a document like this. I think we're trying to get to these are the things that At-Large is working on and the positions that we are taking on them, and what we are trying to accomplish. And so that's the idea behind a platform, much like a political platform. And what will happen then on a case by case basis is to go out and say, okay, we're trying to do an initiative related to universal acceptance, which is what Jon is leading to get folks to reach out to the ALSes and see if we can actually generate blog entries and things like that related to universal acceptance.

So, that's an initiative, that's a particular Action Item that we're trying to track at a particular time. But the idea behind the platform is to be more timeless and say these are the objectives, the strategic goals if you will, you know, finding a balance between with privacy of registrants and the consumer protection of all individual end users. That's a broad topic that we deal with currently within the EPDP but sometimes within PDP discussions it happens in lots of different places.

There is a broad objective to make sure that the consumer protection interests of individual end users at large, if you will, are also protected and not just registrants. So it's these big topics that we're trying to talk about, and when they become a priority, it will happen at different times based on what is going on in the ICANN community or what we're trying to accomplish. I hope that makes more sense.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you Jonathan. I'm going to wait and see how this platform looks like. I think it's the right approach and we just need to make sure we're on the same direction. To me, from where I am, I feel that we are spinning and doing all kinds of stuff all over the place. It doesn't mean that it's not valid or it's not important, I'm not judging why people are doing it or what, I'm saying as a group we should be working together, and not going all over the place. And that's my perception. But I think the right approach is what you're talking about, well, let's see how it goes.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Yes, that is what we're attempting to address, Eduardo, for sure, is to create an overall platform and then we will have initiatives and things like that throughout the course of a year and engagements and outreach, et cetera, it's sort of the difference between, it's sort of like the At-Large equivalent of the ICANN Strategic Plan, that might be a way to think about it. Okay, Joanna, feel free to speak up.

JOANNA KULESZA: I just wanted to support everything that Jonathan has been saying. It's valuable policy development exercise, and in that sense we welcome all the feedback, and all the feedback that happened thus far, whether this is the way to go is the question we are asking the regional leaders today. So whether looking at what is happening in the regions, trying to summarize it, and then presenting at the At-Large Policy team is the way to go. If you confirm that there is some potential to it, myself, and I'm sure Jonathan as well will be happy to develop it further. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Joanna, I always appreciate your support. Maureen, go ahead.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I just want to support Jonathan and what is being proposed. The analogy of a political platform is I think ideal in regards to ensuring that we all have a common set of beliefs in relation to the policy issues that have actually been identified. It may seem as though there is a lot, but when you look at what we do within At-Large, we do cover a lot, and I think one of the important things that we've been trying to achieve over the last year or so is looking at what are the common ideas about each of those issues that we have been trying to convey to our members, convey across At-Large. This is why we have the talking points, so that we're all talking the same language.

And although it may seem as though it's a big jump at the moment from hot topics and such, which are still being used within the ICANN context, I think it's really important that we start looking at how it is that At-Large addresses some of those issues. For those of you who have seen

how I'm looking at how we can address this in the upcoming year, the importance of the RALOs, and how they work with this particular approach to policy and as Jonathan said, it's not just policy issues. There are multistakeholder, the universal acceptance, those sorts of issues are really important to the RALOs, they're really important to end users. Therefore, they need to be incorporated into the platform as issues that we will deal with as At-Large.

So, for us I think what the platform is actually providing at the moment has been stated it's a strategic direction for us for a year and as we go through the year and there is an evaluation within RALOs that there needs to be a greater emphasis on another topic, or introducing one more than another, that could be a projection for the following year.

But I really think that this is consolidating for us something that we can focus on and we won't be doing them all at once, of course, but what's going to come up later on is our communication strategy, how do we get messages down to our communities, what are the key messages, what should we focus on to make sure that our RALO members are actually getting the right kind of messages, because eventually after ATLAS we want those messages to go out into the community. So it's really important that we start to strategize and make sure there is a more definite approach. I guess there's still a lot more to be talked about and to include how we do this within the RALOs, but I really do applaud what has been developed already, and support it. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Maureen, next is Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Hi, it's Glenn for the transcript record. Okay, a couple of things, I've been typing most of my comments already, but I think the political slate idea has some merit, but as we all know, politicians don't deliver on their promises. So I think we have to be conscious of the fact that the approach here is a good one, but it's going to take some time for people to understand that there is a change in approach and the RALO membership needs to be brought up to speed, and it's going to take time.

Any time you make change, change takes time, it takes time for people to adopt it. Going back to what I was typing 10 minutes ago, we have MOUs with our RALOs but they're way out of date, and I think everybody interprets our job as secretary and chairs differently, because we have no job descriptions. We do it sometimes by the seat of our pants and we think we're doing the right thing, but that is not necessarily the case, and again, what Jonathan was saying earlier, what is our remit?

So, again, it's reexamining what are the issues. So this is more than just a hot topic issue, this is how we operate as an organization and how we're beneficial not only to our membership in informing them and getting comments and getting people involved, this is the wholesale change, this is a very radical change in the way we do business, and it's great. It's just going to take some time, and I think we need to be able to do some handling. So, that's my general comment.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks Glenn, yeah, and I think any change will take time, and hopefully this will be a useful way of thinking about this and become kind of a touchstone for our efforts. Satish, go ahead.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Jonathan. Satish for the record. I think this is a useful exercise and the consolidation will be a quite useful thing for the entire ALAC community, At-Large community. I do however have a little bit of a problem with the label At-Large Policy Platform, primarily because it leaves out the fact that this was developed from a bottom-up approach that starts right from the end user members to the RALOs, to ALAC.

It would be good if we can bring that either into the title or somewhere on the wiki page, it could be mentioned that this is a living document based on feedback from the grassroots within At-Large. My question is regarding what happens, now we have a consolidated page of topics and we have the individual five RALOs topics. Does the ALAC level flow down the RALOs, does it replace the RALOs' own bottom-up list of topics? Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Satish, and yes, I think we should mention throughout the document what the bottom-up process was, and we will continue to explore what the best title for it is. Maybe it's just At-Large Priorities. But I think the prioritization of topics, depending on the topic, may vary from RALO to RALO, but I think the idea here is to create a document that incorporates everything that has been raised within the RALOs as important and fits within the ICANN remit.

So the only extent to which something might trickle down to the RALOs from this document, it might be the idea of the fencing of the ICANN's remit. In other words, we want to keep the RALOs engaged on issues related to ICANN's remit and not have them stroll into other areas where ISOC or someone else might be a better actor in that area. Because the idea behind these RALOs is to support the ALAC in its advisory position to ICANN. It's not to work on issues of internet access at the local level, or something like that.

And so to the extent to which there are some boundaries that might get set, that might come from the top, but in terms of issue prioritization, that's still going to happen at the regional level and this document is meant to be comprehensive, and then what's happening today will be a function of a particular initiative or program, as Glenn says, we'll try to attach some measurements to the success of that program and move away from it if it's not working et cetera. So the broader initiative, this is just meant to create the tent under which those things might occur. Thanks, Satish. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Jonathan, Olivier Crepin-Leblond speaking. This is just a comment, not for you to make changes as such in the document and the way you're addressing things. But as Chair of EURALO and with us having in our list of hot topics being public interest, I do have to express our concern that the public interest is treated here on Slide 6 as being outside the ICANN remit, when ICANN is a public benefit corporation. So, just limiting the public interest in our view is unwise, in that if ICANN is not a public benefit corporation and therefore does not

work with one of its core values being the public interest, then we have a much harder job being able to defend end user interests than ICANN.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, Olivier, and obviously this is a conversation that takes place all over ICANN all the time. I think the key distinction is to make sure that as ICANN operates within its remit, it does so in the public interest, which is different than making the overall objective of ICANN the advancement of public interest, which is too broad a remit. So I think that's the distinction that people try to draw, is that as ICANN performs its duties within its remit, it tries to make sure that it is doing so within the public interest, and that's how it fulfills its mission as a public interest corporation. It's not just trying to find ways to do things that are of little interest to the public.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Jonathan, I want to, since Olivier is the last one in the list, I want to move forward and stop this discussion here. Are there any other comments on this? I think we have an approach that seems to be the right approach, we will see, but I think what we all have seen here is something that can put some kind of framework around this topics thing. I really appreciate Jonathan and Joanna for putting this document together. If you need help in giving your feedback on the policy wiki platform, please come to us and we will be happy to do so. So, thank you so much, Joanna and Jonathan, for being forward.

I suggest Action Item #2 and Action Item #3, they are all related, and I am proposing that we skip those, since we have this approach that will

take care, I think, of these Action Items moving forward. Are there any objections to this? Okay, so let's move to Universal Acceptance. That's a very interesting Action Item. I see that John Laprise is on the call, and I'm glad he was invited to this call, because he knows about some of these Action Items. Action Items were created during a meeting that he led in Marrakech.

I have put together some questions about universal acceptance Action Item, that John, you can take over and tell us, can you answer some of this. If this is not policy, why is it important? Is it outreach? What kind of outreach? Because I don't think this is outreach for more volunteers to come work for ICANN. I think the outreach here is to look for people to go out and do some kind of spread the word type thing. So it's a different type of outreach when we talk about outreach in the universal acceptance framework.

There is the notion of having a pilot project and we would like to know what this is. Who is going to lead the effort of this pilot project. Are we talking about us going this kind of big efforts for something that is not policy related? It's on the ICANN remit, I'm not saying that it's not, but it's not policy. So, John, if you can help us with this conversation, I would really appreciate it.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Thank you, John Laprise for the record. I guess where I would start is that I view my role in leading this as a facilitator. The work of universal acceptance devolves on the RALO leadership and less on the individual member to do the work. In terms of this not being policy related, I

guess that's how you define policy. It doesn't directly feed into a policy process that's currently active at ICANN, but what we're talking about is the actual business practices and policies of organizations and users in terms of adopting universal acceptance as a standard.

So, I think this is very much about policy, though perhaps in a different sense than what Eduardo was suggesting. Generally speaking, this initiative is the work of the RALOs and the ALSes and the individual members. In cooperation and collaboration with UASG ambassadors and working with them to both identify opportunities for UA acceptance, as well as develop educational programs and disseminate educational programs for universal acceptance to people who touch on At-Large globally, but may be unaware of universal acceptance. So it's an educational program to basically grow adoption of universal acceptance globally.

EDUARDO DIAZ: John, is that what the pilot project is all about?

JOHN LAPRISE: Yes, the pilot project is about basically spreading the word of universal acceptance and growing adoption of universal acceptance, and that is the work of the RALOs and the ALSes, and the individual members.

EDUARDO DIAZ: And who do you see leading this effort?

JOHN LAPRISE:

As I've said for quite some time now, this is largely the work of the RALOs, the ALSes, and the individual members. They are the ones who actually have to get out there and in cooperation with the USASG ambassadors, and they have ambassadors globally who are willing to provide all sorts of content and assistance, and develop work. Part of the brainchild for this process was the way that we run the social medial working group for which I'm currently Chair.

There we recognize that local conditions differ widely around the world, and so rather than a top-down messaging strategy, we really look at a bottom-up, where we want messaging that is appropriate, in appropriate languages, in appropriate technical environments to occur at the local level, and things that exceed can be passed up and across, and be disseminated. So when we look at the UA pilot project, it really comes down to what are conditions locally on the ground? Because something that works for me in the West may not work well at all for Satish, and so that's why it's so important that the individual members and the ALSes and the RALOs roll up their sleeves and do this work, because it can't be done at the top level.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, I'm going to defer to the hands and I will give my comments last. Sergio, please, you have the floor.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Eduardo, this is Yesim. I'm trying to check with our Spanish interpreters, and unfortunately they are not able to hear Sergio speaking.

SERGIO SALINAS: Sergio speaking, can you hear me now?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, we do.

SERGIO SALINAS: Sergio speaking. Thank you Eduardo, for some reason I was muted and you couldn't hear me. So, as I was saying, in LACRALO we have an IDN group and we've been working on this topic. We've already had some meetings and we are making strong progress here. And I agree with John that it is an extremely political issue. It has to do with ICANN policies, and that we have to roll up our sleeves, definitely. So, I volunteer to work in this group if needed, and move forward. I would really like to see all regions represented in an orderly manner. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Sergio. The way this pilot project has been approached is that every RALO will do something. But I will go back to that after we hear Jonathan and Olivier. Jonathan please.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks, Eduardo. I think it's important not to over-complicate this particular initiative. There are two purposes to it. One is to advance the interest of universal acceptance and the other is to establish a

process of virtual feedback if you will between At-Large leadership all the way down to the ALSes, because if that process is established and exercised, it will have lots of benefits to us as we are trying to evaluate policies of all types going forward.

So this particular initiative is to see if we can get the RALO leaders to work with the ALS leaders to publish a blog on universal acceptance and then have them in turn go out to their members to retweet it, share it, et cetera, and then report back on how that went. So that we're having this communication, it's to the RALOs, to the ALSes, to their members, and back again on an issue that is noncontroversial, like universal acceptance. It's something that everyone wants, and so just a blog that is meant to educate people on the scope of the problem and the importance of resolving it, and that content is available from the steering group. And so it shouldn't be a lot of work to create these blogs.

And so if we just have the RALO leaders go to the ALS leaders and say by such and such a day, you're going to post a blog on this issue, and you're going to go to your members to get them to support the blog, either through Twitter or Facebook, et cetera, and then report back on how that goes. Because then we can look at what those lines of communication look like, how they're working and we can even share that with the broader ICANN community to demonstrate the importance and value of having this entire structure in a numerical way. And so that's the initiative here, and I think we should keep it simple and just execute it. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Jonathan. Thank you for the clarification, because when I hear about UA pilot projects, what is the project about, and you just said it. Thank you. Next, Olivier please.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Sorry, if could just jump in here. And this is a message to all the RALO leadership, you are the pilot project. You are the pilot, you're doing the work. I mean, I'm doing a little bit organization here and Evin is acting with Staff in the support role, but you and the RALOs, you're doing the work, that is the pilot. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. I just needed clarification, that's all. So everybody knows what the project is all about. Olivier, please.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Eduardo. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking, and I'm a little [inaudible] about this and this is why. I've also been involved with universal acceptance and I'm in full support of universal acceptance when it comes down to IDN, when it comes down to non-Latin character script and these sort of things, but looking at the UASG website, it's the universal acceptance with the concept that all domain names should be treated equally. Domain names and email addresses should be accepted, stored, processed and [inaudible] in a consistent and effective manner.

And I did with my -- it's not even an ALS; ISOC England is not an ALS but we were contacted by the UASG working group and we spread the word

with our members and pretty much wrote just an article, put it on our website and also sent an email out to everyone. So please make sure that your staff are aware that all those things that you consider these days your assistants are able to accept emails and web address et cetera from any kind of domain name.

Some of the responses we've had were somehow eye opening. One of the responses that we were told was that actually many of the registrars don't sell all of the top-level domains. In fact, they only sell the ones that they think they're going to make money with and most of the others, they don't sell anything in site. We've been told that one of the problems is some of these sub-level domains are trash TLDs. Trash TLDs if you look on the Spamhaus website, Spamhaus Project and something; now those sub-level domains that are absolutely filled with malware and spam et cetera, some of which are 92%, 75%, there's a whole list of them and it changes every month.

And so the answer what we were told is, "Well who the hell are you to ask us to be able to accept all these trash domains that are filling up our line, that are getting our servers to be busy and stuff?" What we'd like to do is to just [inaudible] them altogether and in fact, there is an increasing number of domain names that are getting banned because ICANN is completely unwilling to make sure that these TLDs are somehow run in a sort of proper way, and so we're here in a case where we're trying to push for universal acceptance on one side but are told the harsh reality of things on the other side that we're effectively losing the battle on this unless ICANN does something about the trash domains.

And unfortunately, the concern at that point, and this is where the analogy has been put, a number of users in ISOC England, and this is a mature market, have said most of the new gTLDs are not quite clean enough for us to consider, and secondly, as far as the IDNs are concerned, well we don't take them seriously because they're part of this batch of new gTLDs. Really sorry to say that but that's the reality we've had as a feedback so far. Thank you.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Thanks. Eduardo, can I respond to that briefly before we go on with the [CROSSTALK]?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure, sure. Go ahead, Jon.

JONATHAN ZUCK: It's Jonathan Zuck for the record. Thanks for that Olivier and there is a lot of complexity associated with the issue of the new gTLDs and black lists and things like that. Universal acceptance itself is not about black lists, it is about software. It's literally about a technology problem where people are validating an email address, like Bank of America is validating an email address and if it's not a three-letter top-level domain, they say it's an invalid email and that has nothing to do with how good or bad an individual TLD is, it simply has to do with not being caught up to the times.

So black lists operate completely separate from the issue of universal acceptance and even to the extent that there are those complexities,

part of what we're trying to do here is demonstrate that the At-Large are capable of mounting an effort and so I think we really want to avoid getting into the weave of that effort and say whatever you want to about universal acceptance in your blog that just says 'Fix your software', because that is a universal thing and make that the effort.

We have a long road ahead on universal acceptance, no question. But for this effort, for this pilot, whatever you want to call it, if we can get the RALO leaders to get the ALS leaders to post a blog and try to get their members to support it and report all that back, that could be a very powerful exercise and I think that's the way we need to think about it. I mean if it was about a blog, about how great the color blue is, that would be almost as good. The point is can we get this engine to work? Can we get this mechanism, this framework of RALOs and ALSes and ALS members to exercise, to a sustained effort over the course of a month and be able to report on it?

That's really what we're trying to do. Universal acceptance is convenient and that is generally a universally accepted issue and if we keep it simple and make it about improvements to software, not about black lists which is a totally different issue, then it feels like something that we can accomplish without too much push back or debate. That's the idea.

JOHN LAPRISE:

Eduardo, can I intervene here for a moment? This is John Larprise.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay.

JOHN LAPRISE: Well I'm -- it's universal acceptance. If you want me to talk, I'll talk. So I want to differ a little bit with Jonathon and to Olivier's point, and that is I don't view it quite the same way. I think obviously from the on-the-ground perspective that Olivier is addressing, the two issues are related. I mean at least they're related in the minds of some of the people they're talking to and this is one of the reasons why the universal acceptance process is devolved to the RALO level because this is obviously a concern within the UK and maybe more broadly across EURALO, and getting Europe and EURALO to address these issues in a constructive way while discussing universal acceptance is part of the learning process for EURALO in particular and the things they learn can be shared with other RALOs around the world to make their messaging potentially better. So while we definitely think that these are two separate issues, the on-the-ground experience suggests that it isn't and we have to deal with the reality for the situation. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Satish, please.

SATISH BABU: Thanks, Eduardo. Satish for the record. Quickly in response to Olivier's point, even if 90% of a particular TLD's all malware infested domains, we still have to provide universal acceptance for the remaining 10%. So it is kind of non-negotiable, I feel, and I come from a region where it is

extremely important and we don't share disconcerts. We have other concerns on IDNs but not this particular issue.

I just wanted to quickly update what we have done. We have run a session on IDNs in the APriGF held in July. In August, we did a session at the APIGA on IDNs and UA, and in September in our monthly call, we are inviting Sarmad to make a presentation and the UA Ambassador in the region, they will be making a presentation on what we can do in terms of our outreach. November, the global IGF. Actually, Roberto from EURALO has to post the meeting on IDN's at Berlin. So whoever is there in Berlin, can participate. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, and Harold, please you have the floor.

HAROLD ARCOS:

Harold Arcos speaking. Thank you very much, Eduardo. Based on this idea, as we reported it back in Marakesh, we would like to communicate that before Marakesh, we have created a working group that is explicitly devoted to this topic, and based on the action item we developed in Marakesh, we have strengthen that relation with our ambassador. As of today, we held webinars not only within LACRALO but within the working group, and really their attendance was very high. It was a Friday in Latin America but we have a very good attendance and this is part of the problem.

With respect to the blog, it's very important because LACRALO leadership has been monitoring the base and the action items defined

in Marakesh and in our webpage, working group webpage, we have reported there the progress and the materials, the people that have been dedicated to that. We are now sharing on the Chat Pod an URL, and Mark, the ambassador, has said that this is the experience of LACRALO, that he [inaudible] experience, the first one important within the five regions and we are doing a regional study.

So based on the contributions, the local contributions from each country, we will build a database so we do understand where we are in the region right now, and this regional document will be one of our major contributions. As we all know here, this is not something that you impose by law. You have to motivate people, continue holding meetings and it would be very helpful for that motivation if you think about these conferences, talks, communication from ALAC to the RALOs in the next monthly meetings, we confirm there our doors are open to that and we have uploaded in the Wiki the progress of our work. The progress of the work that we are doing with ambassador Mark and the others will be tentative of universal acceptance. Thank you very much.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Harold, Jonathan and Satish, you have your hands up. Are those hands old? We're almost running out of time in this meeting, I think this conversation about the universal acceptance has been very good, as the one before this one, the hot topics. I'm very sorry we didn't go through all the action items here and details, but I think it was important that we -- and when I'm saying 'we', all the RALOs, all the Chairs and secretariats -- I think in understanding what is being looked

for in these action items, where these items are, what is expected from the RALOs to do?

Because I think from all the meetings that we had, this is the best meeting to think all the RALOs and understanding, have some kind of mutual understanding between all the regions. So I am suggesting that we continue this conversation next Monday, September 16, same time, same 90 minutes, and I will try in the next meeting to cover the rest of the items here. So I have some comments here, I understand what Jon says -- okay, well you can read the comments.

So do I have a consensus to continue this meeting next Monday, September 16? Jonathan, you have your hand up. Is that a new one? Up, okay. If I don't hear any objection to this, then let's continue this conversation next week. See if we can finish all that. I thank Jonathan, Joanna, and John Laprise, and everyone else for participating and helping, in understanding all these action items and where they're coming from. So we now have a very clear idea on how to move forward in sync. So thank you so much.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Eduardo?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo? Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes? Okay, okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH : Sorry, go ahead. Yeah, go ahead.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sorry. Thanks very much, Heidi. Eduardo, I was just going to ask, do we need 60 minutes or again, a 90 minute call? Could you please confirm that as well?

EDUARDO DIAZ: I will say 90 minutes. Yes.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Sorry? 90 minutes?

EDUARDO DIAZ: 9-0. 9-0 minutes.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: 9-0? Okay, got it. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you very much for that, Yeşim and Eduardo. I would like to just take just one minute, 30 seconds to introduce our newest staff resource. This is through the At-large Review Implementation which was an issue to have a temporary resource to help with the implementation, and I'm very happy to announce we have Alperen Eken

on the call today. He goes by 'Alp'. Alp, you want to say hello just a little bit?

I think he might be muted. Yeah. Alperen, I think you're muted, if you're trying to speak. [CROSSTALK]

ALPEREN EKEN: I'm sorry, it was a problem file.

HEIDI ULLRICH: No worry, hi Alp.

ALPEREN EKEN: This is Alperen. Heidi, sorry. Should I make an introduction of myself or...?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, please. Just very briefly. Just so everyone get to know who you are and your voice a little bit.

ALPEREN EKEN: Okay. I'm Alperen from Turkey. I have previously worked with ICANN part-time and full-time for a year before in a different team. Now I will work with the At-Large team and I'm really happy about that. My background is, I have worked with NGOs for two years before that. I was a President for one of them and I have also managed [inaudible] association in the Middle East and North Africa and also Turkey.

In addition to that, I was at a bank for one year as a process engineer and [inaudible] consultant, you can say. Now I am based in Washington, D.C. and I am studying at Johns Hopkins University as an MA student. Really happy to work with you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you very much, Alp, and just to let you know, he has been an intern, he worked in compliance at ICANN for quite a while and he's also been a fellow for ICANN. So he's very well aware of ICANN issues, he's going to get to know At-large, he will be working with all of you, getting to know you, getting to the ALSes at ATLAS, he'll be in Montreal and he'll be leading a project to help with the sustainable management of ALSes and the individuals and that's part of the project for Issue Two for the At-large Review Implementation. I believe it's also going to be just fit in perfectly at post-ATLAS activities as well. So you'll get to know him and particularly get to see him in Montreal. Thank you, everyone.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Heidi, and Alperen, you're welcome to participate and we're mostly all just to get a [inaudible] for how they are run and what type of features we discuss there. So thank you, welcome.

ALPEREN EKEN:

Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

With this, the meeting's been adjourned. Thank you.

ALPEREN EKEN: Thank you, bye bye.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thanks everyone, bye bye.

YEŞİM NAZLAR: Thank you all, this meeting is now adjourned. Have a lovely rest of your day, bye bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]