
CLAUDIA RUIZ:

Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening, everyone. Welcome to the Finance and Budget Subcommittee Working Group call on Thursday, the 15th of August, 2019, at 17:30 UTC.

On the call today, we have Maureen Hilyard, Alan Greenberg, Ali Almeshal, Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Glenn McKnight, Judith Hellerstein, Olevie Kouami, Sebastien Bachollet, Tijani Ben Jemaa, Wale Bakare, Daniel Nanghaka, and Kaili Kan.

On the Spanish channel, we have Alfredo Lopez and Alberto Soto.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Evin Erdogan, Michelle Desmyter, Shani Quidwai, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

Before we begin, I would like – I'm sorry. We have received apologies from Marita Moll and Bastiaan Goslings.

Our interpreters for today are Veronica and Marina.

Before I begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and also so that the interpreters can identify you on the other language channels. Also a friendly reminder to please keep your lines muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise.

Thank you very much. With this, I had it over to you, Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you very much, Claudia, and thank you, everyone, for being here. It's something new for us, but I think it's quite relevant that this new task that we're taking on is the FBSC. I hope that we can really make it a valuable part of the way in which we work within At-Large.

We'll just do a short review on what we see as the role of this particular body in light of what have been the expectations for things that we haven't really taken up. I'm very grateful that Shani and others have actually arrived to take us through some of the initial issues and what has initiated this new trend. Then we'll look at some next steps.

Are there any questions about that agenda?

Okay. We'll just continue. I was not at the CPWG meeting which actually was discussing how packed their agenda was and that a lot of their time was being taken up with what was not exactly policy. We collectively looked at alternative ways we could use other mechanisms so we could lessen the load on the policy for CPWG.

I think that this is good way of utilizing a group that already exists, and it's when we look at the activities that have been sitting on the FBSC site that actually detail that the tasks of this particular group do include the sorts of things like actually looking at budget requests, which we do for the ABRs and stuff, but also looking at anything that's related to ICANN budget, ICANN's strategic process, and the operating plan so that it really does encompass the sort of things that we're actually starting to move towards. This is a really good start.

One of the things that was mentioned in the chat earlier was, is this composition of this group still relevant to this sort of activity? Because

FBSC traditionally consists for the voting members anyway and ALAC representatives and a RALO representative. I think that is still relevant, but I think also that we should encourage more people from within the group to join the conversations and the meetings that we actually have to learn more about the ICANN org process, especially related to finance, which is always an issue with At-Large. Sometimes it's better if we can all get a really good understanding of the org processes so that we're not asking questions that we really should know the answers to anyway. If anyone's got any questions or queries about even the composition of this group, we'll include that into our process as well.

Just on that then, because I want to give Shani and the team an opportunity to do their thing with regards to the PTI public comment, are there any questions on the composition of the group, the role that we are going to be taking in the future with regards to anything to do with finance?

I see Judith.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

I do think we also should stress that we are open to two things: one, that we're open to participants. Also, some of the RALO have said they required, in the past, it to be the RALO leadership. I think, as we're taking on more responsibilities and as you are working on policy areas, it should be anyone in the RALO who wants to step up. It doesn't necessarily have to be the leadership.

Also, we have a category of participants that is also listed. Although they're not voting members, they're also very active. I think we might

want to highlight this and try to get as many people to join who want to join as participants if they're not chosen. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Judith. That's definitely what I'm thinking of doing. We're coming towards the end of the year, and I think, if there are any changes within the RALOs as far as their representation of their members, if the RALO leaders could let staff know so that we're constantly updating our list. We're very happy to put the names of participants up. Again, the whole metrics thing is really important. We'll be making sure that people who are listed as participants are actually participating. So these are those issues as well.

Judith, is your hand up for another comment or is that an old hand?

Thank you. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

[inaudible]

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Really? Oh. Sorry. I'm sorry, Alan. I hadn't scrolled up high enough for that. Alan? Sorry.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Are you double muted, Alan?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Oh, here we go. Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Can you hear me now?

MAUREEN HILYARD: We sure can.

ALAN GREENBERG: All right. A couple of points, some repetitive. But let me make it really clear. We have always said participants are welcome, especially people who actually have knowledge of the subject or an interest in the subject. Cheryl hasn't been a formal representative for a long time here, but she's been very active. So it's not as if we are prohibiting people from doing it. You actually have to do the work and show up. So that's number one.

Number two, yes, anybody from the RALO can be appointed. It doesn't have to be RALO leadership. But it is someone the RALO leadership says can speak on their behalf. So, yes, you can appoint anyone you want, but they're going to talk on your behalf and make commitments on your behalf. Normally it makes sense if it is the leadership, but it doesn't have to be. But there's a proviso there. That's all I really wanted to say. Thank you.

No, sorry. I do want to say one other thing. There are times when this group is going to want to bring something to the attention of a much larger group. CPWG may be a good vehicle for that, or you may want to

schedule a dedicated meeting. All we're saying in bringing the focus back to this group is that this is the group that's charged with finance things. Let's use it. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. Yes, I agree that. I think that, when it comes to things like discussing the actual budget process and things that are related to ICANN specifically, because this group does get together just to talk about ABR time, for example, there may be issues that need to go to the CPWG just to get that confirmation, especially public comments.

Alan, do you have more to say? Your hand is still up. Otherwise we'll go to Cheryl.

ALAN GREENBERG:

No, I will lower it.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you, Maureen. Very briefly, yes. Look, I like your opportunity for restructuring. I think that, with metrics, if we make it clear and focused on the fact that this will be a more active and participatory committee, it's going to work quite well.

I think it's vital, however – this is why I put my hand up – that you have a core of membership. That's capital M: Membership. These are people

who are appointed, and they are the ones, if anything every comes to vote, that will be called upon to vote. You need one from ALAC and one from a RALO for each geographic region because this is going to help you establish any input that needs to come both in a consensus building way but more importantly for the activities that are required regarding finance and strategic planning but specifically financial as the Empowered Community. So, as long as you've got a RALO formal member – who that is doesn't matter. The RALOs can sort that out. It can be written into the rules of their chair or their delegate and then they sort out the delegate. It has to be, as Alan said, a formal appointment, whereby, on the rare time that we do have to call on this committee to vote, they do so properly.

Other than that, I'm very happy with this direction. Just for the exercise of history, the original Finance and Budget Subcommittee was one of the earliest committees formed alongside of the committees that were looking at how we encourage these new wonderful-fangled things for At-Large Structures to get involved in the world of ICANN and in the formulation of what was then to become the At-Large Advisory Committee. The interim At-Large Advisory Committee formed that work and community. Interested parties joined with them in the development, which is why moldy-oldies like me still hang around in this stuff. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Cheryl, for the historical perspective. I too believe that we're probably taking things back to former days, but I think it's a pretty

valuable time, especially as we are becoming more involved in the finance side of things anyway.

Moving on, fortunately we have people who can speak with great expertise on the issue that we're actually meeting for today, so I welcome Shani. I notice there's someone else with him today. If we can, for those were not able to make the meeting, give an overview. But what I wanted to really focus on – which is why we called in Alan, who's [inaudible] anyway – just giving us some guidance as a subcommittee of members and participants to make sure that the contributions that we make in relation to the discussions that we have on finance actually are relevant to the needs of the Finance Committee itself. So I'd like to pass it over to Shani, then.

SHANI QUIDWAI: Thank you, Maureen. Can you guys here me okay?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Very clearly.

SHANI QUIADWAI: Great. Thank you, guys, for giving us the opportunity to join the call. I also have Alex Morshed from my team in the room with me. We just wanted to provide you brief update.

A few days ago, we held a kickoff call for the PTI and IANA budget. That process has just kicked off. We can share some more background around some of the dates and engagement and input we're looking for

from you. In a few weeks, we also plan to kick off the ICANN budget process, so there'll be some more communications and announcement regarding that. Because of the bylaws and the way that we're structured, there is a separate process for the PTI and the IANA budget. That process starts roughly 30 to 45 days before the ICANN budget.

The webinar that we held a few days ago we are in the process of posting online, so, for anybody that would like to go back and listen to the presentation or ready any of the materials, those will be available. We have the full presentation here, and we will briefly highlight some of the most pertinent information from our end. Unfortunately, Kim Davies is not on the this call to give proper justice to the overall structure of the PTI and IANA functions, but you can definitely access that recording to get some of his background.

With that, if there's no questions, I'll hand it over to Alex to give a high-level overview about the PTI and IANA budget. From there, we will highlight some of the key dates in this process.

ALEX MORSHED:

Hi, everyone. I'm not going to go through every slide that Kim went through. Basically, the executive summary is that the PTI or IANA function that ICANN provides are adequate or satisfactory. That is the assumption that we're making going into the FY21 budget process. That means, for the most part, the budgets will remain the same as it was in FY20. Kim Davies' team will stay the same in terms of the number of people, and they will be more or less doing the same functions that they had been doing in FY20.

So that is the assumption being made going into the budgeting process, and we're seeking feedback on the calls that we had but also via e-mails to Kim or the planning team and also via public comment. So, if you agree or disagree with that, please let us know via one of those forums. If there are no other questions, we can go into the timeline.

Oh, yeah. Can we go to – what slide number is that?

SHANI QUIDWAI:

6.

ALEX MORSEHD:

Could we go to Slide 7, please? Okay, great. This slide just goes over the separation between the IANA operating plan and budget versus the ICANN's. Very quickly, at a high level, the PTI budget is made up of a few distinct categories, the direct dedicated being Kim's team, who are solely dedicated to work within PTI and work on IANA functions. Then there are the direct shared services that are provided from other ICANN departments who work directly but not wholly on IANA-related activities. And then shared services are departments like HR or finance that provides some overall supplementary activities to PTI. So a small portion of their time is allocated to PTI as well. As the slide is showing, we have a separate process for the ICANN operating plan and budget for the non-IANA-related costs.

There's also some other auxiliary services and contracts that are mentioned in the middle on the right related to the root zone

maintainer agreements and Customer Standing Committee. Those are also part of the IANA operating plan and budget.

I think – is the next slide the planning timeline?

SHANI QUIDWAI: If you could skip to Slide 10.

ALEX MORSHED: Okay.

SHANI QUIDWAI: Here we have some of the key dates in the process. You can see that the process kicked off this week and ends in February 2020. We are in the process of developing the budget. The goal is to publish the draft budget for public comment on the 30th of September and then, from there, allow [44] days for public comment.

I know there were some e-mails going around about how feedback should be provided. The public comment formal process is the best way to provide that feedback, but if there's any initial feedback that you have regarding the webinar or this call today, please do share that with Kim or Heidi. She can make sure that that gets to us and we incorporate that feedback as we develop the draft documents.

From there, we expect to publish the staff report of the public comments on the 3rd of December and, after that, go through the Board approval process to ultimately get this budget adopted and allow the

Empowered Community the time needed to challenge the budget if necessary in February.

With that, I notice there was also some feedback in the chat about getting the slides. My apologies for any difficulties with that. I did share the slides today, and I'm hoping this presentation can be distributed to all of you. We'll also make sure that the posting on the web includes the slides and is accessible for everyone.

The last thing I would like to add is this was specific for PTI and IANA. In the coming weeks, we are planning to do something similar to kick off the ICANN overall budget process. We will make sure to get that information to you guys so that you're able to participate in the webinars. We would also be happy to jump on another call on this and give a specific update to your team if that's better. Whatever format works best.

With that, any other questions?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen? Are you—

SHANI QUIDWAI: I see that Heidi has a comment in here. Yeah, Heidi, I'll make sure to get you the slides. She'll distribute them to the team.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perfect. Thank you so much. Maureen, you might be on mute if you're speaking. I know you had—

MAUREEN HILYARD: I don't think there are any questions relating to the actual process for the feedback. We'll do that as part of our normal process ourselves: getting public comment. Thank you.

SHANI QUIDWAI: Okay, great. I appreciate the opportunity of having us join the call. We look forward to collaborating with you. Thank you.

ALEX MORSHED: Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Shani, one of the things that we did want that's not relating to the actual timeline was to do with the assumptions. I was just wondering. I was going to provide a list of the assumptions, but there are some people who may not have actually been at the webinars to actually understand what kind of feedback you actually want. The assumptions are quite important to that. I was thinking, is it possible for you to actually go through some of those and just really highlight what you think is important for us to be looking at?

SHANI QUIDWAI: Sure.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Is that possible?

SHANI QUIDWAI: Yeah. We can do our best to do that. I know Kim probably also has a really good perspective on some of the feedback that he is looking for. From our perspective, a lot of it is focused on the financial aspect, the process, and things of that nature.

Alex, do you have anything that you could mention that Kim was specifically looking for regarding service and things like that?

ALEX MORSHED: Honestly, I'm not as well-versed in the details as Kim. I think it's just a matter of stating whether or not we're happy with the service that Kim's team is providing, essentially, as they're budgeting for the same kind of professional services and the same team, that they had last year. If that makes sense, then I think that's fine. But if there are any other suggestions, then I think he's looking for that in the public comments.

SHANI QUIDWAI: I think one of the assumptions that we initially went into this with was, based on the feedback from the CSC (Customer Standing Committee), it was deemed that the service has been satisfactory or higher for twelve months/over the past year. That's something we're looking to validate. Do you feel that the service has been satisfactory, or are there specific service aspects that you're looking for improvement on?

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you. We do get Byron's reports, and they always show very satisfactory responses.

I see Cheryl's got her hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Maureen. Just so that members of the Finance and Budget Subcommittee here today that may not had the benefit of going to either of the webinar presented by Kim, which I said in chat were excellent know – oh, okay; [inaudible] – some of the assumptions certainly are inclusive of what you've just said: the satisfaction of the customers. It's important that we note that there is customer satisfaction, but I think we also should note from the Finance and Budget Subcommittee perspective that the upcoming work on the strategic plan specifically for PTI is going to be an important thing in this upcoming financial year and beyond because it is from that that some assumptions may indeed either become firmer and be modified or be clarified. One, for example, is the rate of upgrading and modification of hardware and equipment, which of course is integral to the [provisional] services of the IANA services for PTI to do.

So it's a good and interesting time: if we see a see some requirement of additional funds to be made to hasten or bring forward what I think is an extraordinarily conservative process of updating and modification of [team] structure – that's just my personal and clearly biased view – then I think the Finance and Budget Subcommittee here needs to understand why this is happening and that is properly planned and all the due

diligence has gone into it. So we need to keep our finger on the pulse of that as well. That may change some of the assumptions as we go forward. If we don't have top-class effective equipment and all the right materials available for use in terms of resourcing, then not only will customer satisfaction suddenly change in the PTI but so will the whole function of ICANN. That's a failure we cannot let happen. [Thank you].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. I see Alan has his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I was one of the people involved in the IANA transition and the design of what we're now talking about. I pushed very hard for the ALAC to be included, among other things, in the Customer Standing Committee.

That being said, user needs are very much in line with the needs to the specific customers of IANA – that is the registries – because the registries have a vested interest in actually having their TLDs work. That's about the same as what customers expect. They may have some other specific demand – that IANA responds within five minutes to a query or does something in a specific way that works in their business models – but the end product is that IANA is working properly and is satisfying the needs of the users, which really is to make sure that registries are working and accessible. There's a lot of mechanics behind it, but the end product is very similar to what users need and what registries need.

So I think it's important for us to be cognizant of these issues. I'm not, however, expecting us to come up with a lot of needs and specific wants that are not already on the table or being put on the table by the other parties. So this is very much a watching brief, not necessarily because we're going to have important input. We may on occasion, but it's very important for us to understand how these things are working because it is an integral part of why ICANN is here. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you, Alan. That's an excellent start for us is the At-Large Finance Committee to understand how ICANN works and to understand what is actually happening beyond At-Large, especially with important functions such as PTI, so that, when we're actually looking at budget requests for ourselves, we completely understand the other responsibilities in other areas. I think that, when we're putting in additional budget request, for example, sometimes we forget that ICANN has other responsibilities other than ourselves. So this is an important aspect of it. Thank you, Alan and Cheryl.

Are there any other questions [for Shani]? Because I've just been asking if perhaps we can use your presentation. You don't have to be here but we can use the [presentation] to just briefly go through the assumptions so that everyone gets an idea and we can probably discuss amongst ourselves some key issues that we might raise in a public comment from this particular group.

But if here are no other questions for Shani and Alex, we can probably proceed then with the – Shani, did you actually give us this particular

presentation? If you could, we would be going through that with you., not that we need to do that. But are the assumptions actually on this particular presentation?

SHANI QUIDWAI: They should be, yeah. They should be in the slides following [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Awesome. That's great. Then we can just continue on with it and have our own little discussion in a summarized format.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Maureen?

SHANI QUIDWAI: Yeah, and there's a couple more pages of assumptions following. But I think we've touched on this one here. The feedback we have been receiving through the [CSB] and the surveys has been very positive. So that is the foundation that we're building the budget on. Things are working relatively well and there's no drastic changes that need to be made.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Exactly. I think that's a good start. Heidi? Heidi's got her hand up.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you so much. Can you hear me?

MAUREEN HILYARD: And she's probably [on mute].

SHADI QUIDWAI: [inaudible] a question in the chat. I think she's asking about when the best time to submit the comments would be. Regarding the comment, that window opens up, I believe, on September 29th or so – end of September. We haven't posted the actually operating plan in the budget. I'm assuming, when people read through that documentation, there'll be specific comments that they have around the information provided in there. Any comments about those documents we would prefer be submitted through the public comment process. However, if there's any questions now or between then that arise regarding process or just general feedback, we're happy to take those questions. But if you're looking for some more formal process of the public comment, that's not starting until the end of September.

MAUREEN HILYARD: That's great. I too agree that the comments should be a formal one, even if it's not very long. It's just presenting our view. Also, we have quite a few new members on our team, and we will also have participants who just need to understand the public comment process. So this is just a small group opportunity for us to actually do that.

Thank you very much. Are there any other general questions for Shani and Alex before they can leave and carry on with the rest of their lives while we just very briefly go through the assumptions and make any

comments which will be recorded? We can put together something that we can send out to our group for compiling a public comment for the PTI team.

Thank you very much, Shani and Alex.

SHANI QUIDWAI: Thanks again. We look forward to your feedback.

ALEX MORSHED: Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Claudia, can we click up to – this is the first ones, as Shani mentioned. The Customer Standing Committee sends reports out, which we get. We’ve got a representative on the Customer Standing Committee to provide us with any feedback that the Customer Standing Committee may find that needs to be brought back for us to discuss.

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I just wanted to comment. The previous comments implied that we will have substantive comments to make. Honestly, I’m assuming that, other than, “Yeah, that sounds good. Good job. Keep up the good work,” we’re not going to have a lot of substantive comments to make that will require changes in what they’re proposing. That may be wrong. If so, we should submit them. But I don’t think we should

work on the assumptions that we will have significant input into this process that we feel we need to have significant input to this process on. If indeed we do, I think some things are going very wrong with how they're working. But just my two cents' worth.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

I agree. This is a very technical area. I just feel it's important that the group actually gets to understand where they're coming from. Even if we don't actually send them anything formal, it's good for us to be able to understand what their process is and we have a better understanding of it.

Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thanks, Maureen. While we're getting down to tin tacks here, I think putting in a short affirmative comment that is supportive of the assumptions being made, the potential work with the fiscal impact, etc. Hopefully, by the time the public comment is open at the end of September, the initial work on the standalone strategic planning will be public as well. I would be supportive of that because it's a very powerful thing.

Remember, this committee is a formal subcommittee of the ALAC. In other words, it is specifically going to come to the ALAC with recommendations for ALAC to endorse or put into formal comments and act in its capacity as the Empowered Community. So this is pretty bloody important stuff. As Alan said, if we have to do anything remedial,

then things are seriously wrong. So, in a perfect world, we would never be suggesting major course adjustments or issues because it should just tick along perfectly.

Why I think at least short, affirmative comments, particularly at this early stage in our evolution of this new model with the Empowered Community and how finances are done via empowered communities with the challenge, etc. ... If AC can be on the record as supportive of the PTI budget as she is written in any given financial year, that's going to be powerful if a component part of another, for example, support organization that may not understand the core mission-critical activities as much as we probably may is being critical: "Why are we spending all this money on modification of the [inaudible] tools used by PTI?" We shouldn't have to argue it, but I think it's a useful card to have on the table if need be. So I want to support that we do something basic.

Alan and I and, if Olivier Crepin-Leblond was here, would be saying exactly the same things: Why are you going to hear from us as you are now encouraging you to be very positive in all this and to keep this working well? It's because we were deeply involved with the development of how these financial rounds should be done in the IANA transition work. So we were instrumental and represented ALAC and At-Large very effectively in the bylaws that we are currently working under. So it's complementary work. That's what I'm trying to say. But it's damned important work and shouldn't just be ignored. 200 words that say, "Yay, team!" and why we believe the character parameters [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD: Thank you, Cheryl. I see Alan's got his hand up.

ALAN GREENBERG: Thank you. I just want to make something real clear. I said I'm not expecting us to have substantive comments. I think a supportive comment is well in line. But you have to go back to why we even care. Aside from intellectual interest and that we care about ICANN and this is a major part of ICANN, there's a much stronger reason why we care and why we have to be vigilant and understand what's going on. We are one of the five members of the Empowered Community. We are the ones who have to vote yes or no: do we support this budget or do we believe there are problems? That has to be an informed decision. It's not something we should do on a whim. It's not something we should do because someone in the corridor says there's a problem and we should care. It's because we have to understand and we have to be able to cast our votes in the Empowered Community in a meaningful way and can back them up. That's why this is important. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD: I completely agree. I just wanted to take the slide that we're actually looking at earlier that looked at the tasks of the PTI. One of the things that was on as their roles was the root zone management system development and maintenance. We've recently put in a submission on that.

Now, this is something that's important to PTI. We've also made statements about the importance of maintaining that system and the new governance model that they're looking at. When this comes up, I

agree totally with Cheryl. If we don't have anything specific – some affirmative responses – it just means that we as an advisory committee confirm what it is that they're currently doing and [commit] themselves. So I think that – well, exactly on operations, but that's going to impact on the work of the total management system. So that's commenting on something that Alan has said in the chat.

Our time is nearly up, and this is really the assumptions that were listed. I didn't prepare a slide. I was just going to list what their assumptions were in one kind of slide. I think the general gist, for those of you who were at the webinar, is that assumptions were quite positive based on the responses that they have been receiving from the Customer Standing Committee plus operationally how they think they've been doing.

So I think, if we all have a look at that and, if you have any comments, we will probably put together a sort of comment that will encompass any comments that come from within the committee, especially if there's nothing being raised no, except some clarifications from Cheryl and Alan, so there isn't anything that's jumping out at people as to what we may need to ... okay. Alan is saying that the slides will be sent to the FBSC. We have got a wiki page, and, yes, we can put in on the wiki page. We've got it, so it's not a problem if anybody wants to go and have a look through the slides again so that we can, as soon as possible, put some sort of comment in as a starting point.

As Becky mentioned in the webinar – Becky Nash – what they plan is they've got to be complementary to ICANN's plans for the ICANN budget. They've got to complement each other, so I guess we can't, in

our own comment, want to change things too much if it's not going to meet their needs within the ICANN system.

Heidi, have we got some AIs already? Heidi, have you listed some already, or is that [inaudible]?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yes. Let me quickly read them. The first one is for Maureen to consider the restructuring of the FBSC for making the next call for members after ICANN 66.

Secondly, I am to send the PTI slides to the FBSC mailing list. Just as Claudia and I noted, the slides are already on the agenda on today's call.

The final one is for the ALAC to submit a short comment in favor of the PTI's budget at this point now. Then a more detailed comment will be submitted during the public comment period. The comment will include comments from the members of the FBSC.

If you could just clarify that that is the case: you'll submit something now or submit in more detail later? Or where you just going to send that one general, short comment during the public comment period.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Well, I'm waiting to hear from other members at this meeting. Just one clarification about the restructuring of the FBSC. It's just that I did ask if RALOs would like to check through their members list to make sure that, for example, the people that are listed are the assigned members from the RALOs.

Cheryl has her hand up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks, Maureen. It's got to with AIs [inaudible] to me now. I think the restructuring, if Heidi was specific, was after ICANN66. Of course, we will have a changing of the guard opportunity.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Exactly.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: [inaudible] that's an AI that needs to stay there. Of course, with the participants model, I would strongly encourage any active member who is no longer continuing to stay in as a participant because that's where your knowledge base comes from. That's an important thing.

One action item I would suggest might be useful for you to consider, which could be an action item for all members and participants but specifically members of the FBSC, is to [inaudible] having the link and having the presentation sent. I think you should actually say "review the presentation and ask any questions on the wiki" [inaudible] clarify because otherwise you're going, "Thank you for the presentation." [inaudible]. So you could annotate that in the meeting notes as an action item. I know it's not one we can measure terribly easy but I think it's a reasonable expectation that certainly your members, if not the whole of the FBSC, do go through this and ask you or whoever else who attended these calls for any clarification [inaudible].

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Exactly, Cheryl. I think that it's really important. We have a lot of new people coming into this system. The finance part of things is really important. If there are any clarifications that people need, this is the place to start asking those questions, although probably not for this public comment: the group itself. Use your RALO contacts, first of all. We do want people to be involved and to participate and to ask relevant questions that we can actually incorporate into public comments, whether it's whatever: the CPWG, as well as this particular mechanism.

Alan?

ALAN GREENBERG:

Thank you. Just to be quite clear, any continuing or new chair coming in can restructure committees. At this point, I think we decided not to restructure the FBSC at this point but to make sure that we have the right people appointed from the RALOs and that we have ALAC people here and that we stress that others are welcome. So just from that perspective, I think it's really, really important that not change in mid-stream since we do seem to believe that it's the right structure.

The second is, in terms of comments, they're soliciting comments right now on if we have anything particular to say on this presentation. I don't think it's the time to submit an ALAC comment in general unless we have some change that we think that they have to make at this point. The general comment of affirmation that Cheryl and I were talking about would be at the public comment period. Thank you.

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That's great. Understood.

Are there any other questions or queries from anyone? We've got a very quiet group here at the moment. Again, have a look through the assumptions again. If there is a query that even we need as a group to address – it may not be a public comment but it may be something like a question someone has that they would like some further clarification on, even regarding our own process – please feel free. As we said, this is a new development for us. I think it's a very positive one. It just means that people are able to focus on a specific. The Finance and Budget Subcommittee is an important specific for us within At-Large.

We're up at the end of our call. If there are no other questions or queries, thank you very much for attending today. We've got a really great number of people here. I'm really impressed and very pleased. Thank you to Cheryl and Alan for their extremely important inputs into our session today as well. Heidi will again pass our thanks on to Shani and Alex.

We will keep in touch with regards to a draft statement that we will look towards putting for public comment when it comes up. Then that will go out to you all for your comment and we'll move on from there.

Thank you all very much.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]