
BRENDA BREWER: Thank you all very much for standing by. This is Brenda speaking. Welcome to ATRT3 Board Work Party Meeting #2 on the 16th of August 2019 at 15:30 UTC. And attending the call today we have Demi, Osvaldo, Pat, Sebastien. We have observer Sophie Hey joining and from ICANN Org is Jennifer, Negar, and Brenda. And Bernie is joining as the Technical Writer.

Today's meeting is being recorded. I'd like to remind you all to please state your name before speaking and I will turn the call over to Sebastien. Sorry if I forgot to mention you Sebastien as a participant as well.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: You didn't. That's great. Thank you, Brenda, for starting this call and thank you all for participating on the call. It's now long time we didn't have a specific discussion on the topic of the Board within the ATRT3 and I am happy that we have this call. Thank you for Staff for doing it. Welcome to everybody.

And you will be able to see the Agenda. You have received it hopefully in your mail only a few minutes ago. I will not ask you to be agree on but if you want any change just ask when it's a good time. Doesn't matter if we change the Agenda during the meeting but we will try to stick on that because I think, and I have a very small exchange with Osvaldo just before, that it's the main points but if I forgot something, we will do it.

We have just one hour. It's not a long call. And I suggest that we go first to the following document which I will put a link on the chat, like that,

you have it. It's where we try to keep the information. I spend the last two hours to update it. And I would like us to go through that and we will talk about where we are regarding evaluation of ATRT2 by ATRT3 and specifically some questions related to the Board. And then we will talk about which answer we receive from Staff about the question we ask and that's on the Google Doc.

And then we will go to the Work Plan to see what are the next steps. And as first thing, we are already late. We need to find a way to go quicker to be on time at the end of the road. And of course, any other business. Thank you. Any comments on that? Or we can go to the first item.

Therefore, it's a document. Then let's go to... Okay, just to let you know, the beginning, that this document it's organized in, for the moment, in six part. The one with the TOR and that's already done. The scope of the work, I hope it will not change. The resource request and I guess it's in this part that I update the document therefore if we can go to page... Go to the end of the document page, sorry.

OSVALDO NOVOA: I think its page 4.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: No, sorry. It's page 12 now.

OSVALDO NOVOA: Okay.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Let's go to page 12. Then, in fact, I add in this part the answer to the questions.

BRENDA BREWER: Sebastien, this is Brenda. I don't see page numbers. Could you tell me what the top of the page?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yeah, go down, go down, go down, go down.

BRENDA BREWER: 9...

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: 9, 10, 12. Here. It's what I call Draft Report. Not yet really even draft. Version 00. I almost have put Version 01. And on this document I add, of course since the last time, we had the discussion about what are the recommendations that concern the Board and we will come back on that, but ATRT2. And if you scroll down, in green I add the answer of the Board. It's here. Sorry. Then in green I add all the answers I found in the mail sent by Jennifer. I think it's now time to review all these answers and to see if it's fit with the question we had. We have those in green and there are different answers there. And we have one, I keep it even I don't think it was for us but more for the NonCom and Jeff White

maybe for the Community Work Party but as it was in the same mail, I decide to put it here just to be sure that I didn't forget something.

Then we have answer about the question about the Election Processes and for the Board Director and for the GNSO. We have something about the NonCom. Scroll down please. And we have also an answer about Strategy Planning. It's a little bit down. It's your next one. Here. That's also one answer given by Staff that we need to review, and we have something further down about last five years Board Resolution and one about the Appeal Mechanism. I hope that I didn't lose some answers to the question and that it will be useful to review all that. Any question, comment, on that part?

OSVALDO NOVOA: Hello, this is Osvaldo.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes?

OSVALDO NOVOA: First of all, as I told Sebastien, I apologize for the last two weeks I was absent from the group because I had a serious business problem and I had to travel to Argentina to try to solve it. Now I am going to try to get up to date with my work. But the thing is very solid of information we have to process and right not very long time to do it so we should try to assign responsibilities or work to each party to as we can dedicate time to each and see if we can process this information and get the results to the group.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes, thank you Osvaldo. I have no problem with that. My trouble is that when we organize and we discuss that, if you can scroll up to page 8. That's here, exactly. When we met in Marrakech, we put some items and people assigned to some work and nothing happened. Therefore, yes, I think it's important maybe not to assign but to have people who want to do things and they tell us what they want to do because if we tell them to do it, it doesn't work up to now impotently.

OSVALDO NOVOA: Yeah, okay.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: And I understand that everybody is very busy and so on, but we need to do the work. And one of my concern is that if you look to the membership of this Work Party, we are very few. You, Maarten, Ramet, Tola, Wolfgang are not here therefore it's more difficult even to do the work. Okay. If there is no other comment or questions, we have already started but we can discuss about ATRT2. As I don't want to just hear me talking, Bernie, can you give us where we are with ATRT2 and if there are things that we as a Board Work Party we need to do, we can do on, that issue? If we need to wait for the next call, or if there is something we can already start. Sorry to jump on you like that.

BERNARD TURCOTTE: Sorry, if I turn on the mic it'll be easier. Can you hear me?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Yes.

BERNARD TURCOTTE: Thank you. I don't know if there's a lot to do. I would take advantage of having Demi here to say, if you could go back to the spreadsheet, we've got a few questions and if you could answer those that would help. Given we're going series at them through the ATRT2 list, it's hard to say that you've got all the things. We've done probably most of the Board ones because they were on top of the list, but we'll only finish those at our Plenary Meeting next week and then we can have a discussion on Strategy. Obviously, understanding and commenting on what to do from those evaluations if anything, will certainly be a task for this group. That's all I have for you right now, Sebastien.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you Bernie. That's useful. Okay. I think for the participant that what is could be useful is to go through the Google Doc. Maybe I need to reorganize it, maybe, because there are too much things and duplicative things. I will try to have just one single document with different information within each items and not the item is applied by the lack of information. I will try to do that in the next few days.

But it's important if you can go there and if you have questions, comments, additional points, it could be good to do it, please. We already have go through the Item Number 4 about answers we receive from Staff. One of my concerns here is that if we look to the list of the

question, there are some questions who are not answered or information we didn't receive, how we can work with Staff to be sure that they got the point that we want to get information on and how we can have it quickly because time is passing. Jennifer, please. Go ahead.

JENNIFER BRYCE:

Thanks Sebastien, this is Jennifer. It's just to note that there are some requests as you said that are still outstanding. I have three of them specifically for this group. I just wanted to let you know that those three requests, the information is in the final stages of being prepared so I expect that the information should be with you no later than the end of next week. If, for any reason, there are additional delays I will certainly keep you posted and thanks for your patience while we get that information together. Thank you.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Thank you very much, Jennifer. Good information and useful. Therefore, I suggest that we organize the next meeting of this Subgroup after we receive those answers. Like that we will be able to evaluate them and also to see if we got the answer to all our questions or if there are some which are still pending and things that we can go ahead with the question and with the answer. Any questions, comments, on that? If not...

OSVALDO NOVOA:

Yes, hello? It's Osvaldo.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Okay, go ahead Osvaldo.

OSVALDO NOVOA: Just two points. First, regarding ATRT2 Evaluation or the examination we are doing of it and its implementation, I would say, well for me personally, I would have to go over all the answers that Bernie brought and look at them from the point of view of the Board to see if we have any comments. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check all the answers, but I'll try to do it before next Plenary Meeting.

And then regarding the documentation, even though we haven't received all we requested, we received a lot of information and we have to process it. So, I don't know if we should at least check some of the information and try to have a meeting to discuss about the information we got, how we are going to examine it, and inform something about it.

TOLA SOGBESAN: Hello, [inaudible].

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Go ahead Tola.

TOLA SOGBESAN: Thank you, Osvaldo, for your comment. I think from the task already assigned myself, we are just supposed to go through it into examining the document we have. For example, Board Effectiveness and Efficiency

has Osvaldo and Demi, correct? So, I suspect that from the document we have, is there any one that shows Effectiveness and Efficiency? If there are then Osvaldo and Demi should look at that. For myself and Wolfgang, we should change the document we have if there is Strategy [inaudible]. If we have any document on Strategy then we should examine it. That's my understanding of what Sebastien has proposed. I think it is also, I agree with his proposal, and so now the best thing to agree to all together and to [inaudible] review the document. Thank you. [inaudible]

OSVALDO NOVOA: That will be fine for me.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: It was Osvaldo and now Sebastien. Yeah, it is fine. If we can go in that direction, Tola, great. I think we will appreciate. And, okay, let's try to do that and in the summary of this call we will try to suggest again that. Great, thank you Tola. Okay, if we don't have other inputs and comments, I suggest that Brenda, if we can go to the Work Plan now to discuss where we are with... It's another document you need to... What is a Work Plan, the spreadsheet that Pat has done with all the tasks to date. And I guess we are in green in this document. A little bit further down. Yeah, here in green.

Okay. As we can see that we are not yet completely late, but we are supposed to deliver something in one week. That means that we have to rush. And we already discussed the review, analyze and summarize relevant documentation is what we really need to do now. With the

questionnaire, sorry, survey that we will send, I hope that we will have some inputs to help us with the answer to some of the questions and if we need some more interview, we need to organize them. I know that we have request some specific meetings but before we go to some specific meeting, for example with the CFO, I think it's important that we review documentation we received and then after that we will organize this meeting but that means that we will not be on time to deliver that part of the work.

TOLA SOGBESAN: I have a question.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Go ahead. It's Tola, I guess.

TOLA SOGBESAN: My question is since we're in a team and we're going to be meeting, for example, the CFO or we're going to producing these kinds of document, do we have a common template to apply? For example, if you are reviewing the document you are looking for [inaudible], alright? Are you using your discretion? Am I using my discretion or do have one common template that we use so even if [inaudible] we are missing anybody [inaudible]?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you Tola. I don't think we have any document specific to do that work. The only template that was created by Bernie is one for the Final

Report. I don't know if we are yet there to use it. But maybe I'm wrong there and it would be useful to have it. I don't know. Maybe Bernard can help us with that.

TOLA SOGBESAN:

Okay. It's okay. So, we use the same way we have done with the ATRT2 Review where individually you go over, you read, and you check what needs to be implemented [inaudible]. For example, in my own portion of that try to go through and see the Strategy [inaudible]. That means we're going to use our discretion.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

Yes, Tola. We are. It's very difficult to hear you but yes, for the moment as we don't have a document to share you need to go through when you make a review with your own question and then to see and then to gather the best answer without any template. I guess that's the right answer.

TOLA SOGBESAN:

Alright. Thank you, Sebastien. Okay, sorry, I'm driving so I'm using Bluetooth in the car so it can be going off alone as I drive. Apologies for that if you don't hear me properly.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET:

That's okay. Thank you Tola. Sebastien speaking. Bernie, can you jump here?

BERNARD TURCOTTE: Well, if you say jump, I'm going to jump Sebastien. What would you like me to jump to?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: To help us with how we can do this part of the work and if it's already a good time to have the template you have set up for the Final Document or it's too early and we can wait for that?

BERNARD TURCOTTE: No, I think it would probably be very useful. I'm doing a few refinements over the next few days which may help chunk out the work a bit so if you give me until Monday, I think we should probably have something for you which you can have a look at and decide if it's helpful.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Great. No, that's good inputs. Okay. Thank you, Bernard. If I come back to this spreadsheet, you see that we have a tight schedule because we are late for... I hope that all the members of this Work Party will do part of the work and that we will be able to gather this information. I think that what we need to do, we will get next week some input from Bernie, we will get at the end of next week or the beginning of the week after, some additional answers during this time. Please review the current answer and I will try to reorganize the Google Doc to have it more user-friendly.

But please, if you have findings, if you have questions, if you have inputs, put them there like that. We have one single repository and as soon as we have something that Bernie will give us we will see how we organize our work, but for the moment keep on the Google Doc, please, the one we show you at the beginning of this, I think, the first part of this meeting.

And as soon as we have the answer from Staff from additional questions, or additional answers to our questions, we will organize another call of this Sub-team. I hope that it will be in two weeks, less than two weeks' time, not the beginning of next week but the week after and if Staff can prepare a due date for that it will be great. I guess that's what I can say now. Pat, as you are with us, can you give us your feedback as a coach here of this overall group and any advice or any question, please?

PATRICK KANE:

So, thanks Sebastien, this is Pat. And so sitting in, it seems like we've got some conversations that still need to be had it appears. And I think that in the next couple of weeks if we're going to have a call between now and then, it just seems to me, Sebastien, that we've got to get either some more critical conversation about the different points because we're going to have to start writing very soon. And I'm trying to assess how I can help the process, help you, help this team in terms of getting that flywheel moving, so to speak, and I think that there's a lot of good thoughts here but how do we progress and how can I help that? So I'm looking for kind of a question for you which is how do you want me to help engage here and forward?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you, Pat, for your feedback and input. I think we really need to do what you say. We need to read the document. We need to be aware of what other, the real situation regarding the Board, and what we are reviewing. And therefore, I don't know how you can help with that because it's the work of each member of this Work Team or Work Party who need to do the work.

But if I can suggest that you come back on that issue because I guess it's not just for our Work Party but for all the Work Parties that you come back on. Have you done your own work, when is your next time you will meet, are you sure that you will be ready for this next step and so on, and to keep us also on track as much as possible with where we are with this date. Because we fix some dates and I think it will be useful. I know that next week Bernard will be still with ATRT2 but if I can suggest the week after you go back to the Agenda, to the dates that we have again, but I think a discussion on that will be helpful.

PATRICK KANE: Thank you Sebastien. I think that there's a lot of things that are right about what you said in terms of across all the groups. So let me get with Cheryl since she couldn't be here today and have a conversation about kind of how we want to slot things going forward, at least recommend to the Leadership Team on Mondays as to how we're going to slot going forward. But what I'll do is, I have not dug deeply into your documents per se, and what I'll do is I'll dig deep into them between now and when you have the next call for this group and try to create some specific questions that hopefully would generate some conversation and get to a specific point. If that would be helpful I'm really happy to do that.

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Good. Thank you, Pat. Sebastien speaking. Yeah, I think it will be helpful. I will try to really to do quickly, I'm quite occupied this weekend but the beginning of next week, to do a revamp of the Google Doc because it's a little bit messy, to be easier for you to have a look at it and to read and for the other participants I guess it will be also easier. Okay. Any other comments, questions, disagreements, agreement? And if I can, one thing, Pat, is that to help us to have full participation of the ATRT3 Members. We are now 17, I guess. We need to work, all the 17. It's important. Thank you.

PATRICK KANE: So, Sebastien, are you suggesting that we bring the full group to the Sub-Work Group for review or just work harder to get the full group into our Wednesday Sessions? I wasn't quite following why you wanted to have the full participation?

SEBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you Pat. And sorry it was not clear, but I will say it in two ways. The first one is that please help us to have the full Board Work Party engaged. First step. And I think now the ATRT3 to have the full ATRT3 Participants doing the work but that's two different level of discussions. For my part now, it's to have all, that I am sure that you can help us to have people more engaged in our work if they are a member of this Work Party. Okay, thank you very much and thank you for you inputs and we will stop the meeting here and don't forget to be on the call

next week and thank you for your help and your work. Take care. Bye-bye for now. The meeting is closed.

BRENDA BREWER: Thanks everyone.

PATRICK KANE: Thank you. Bye.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thank you everyone. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]