
FRED BAKER: Okay, we've got 20 people on the line. I'm hoping that's most of us.
Let's go to the roll call.

Cogent? Is Paul online? Or Brad? Yeah, okay.

[DoD]?

KEVIN WRIGHT: This is Kevin Wright. Ryan Stephenson is on his way in also.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

RYAN STEPHENSON: Hello, I'm here.

FRED BAKER: Hi there. ICANN?

TERRY MANDERSON: Terry Manderson is here. [Inaudible] won't be joining.

FRED BAKER: Okay. ISC – I'm here. Jeff, I believe you're here.

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

JEFF OSBORN: I'm here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. NASA?

TOM MIGLIN: This is Tom Miglin.

FRED BAKER: Netnod? Do we have Lars online? I guess not. RIPE?

KAVEH RANJBAR: Kaveh is here.

FRED BAKER: University of Maryland?

KARL REUSS: Karl is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. USC?

WES HARDAKER: Wes is here.

SUZANNE WOOLF: And Suzanne.

FRED BAKER: US ARL?

KEN RENARD: Ken Renard here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Verisign?

MATT WEINBERG: Matt Weinberg is here. Brad is on vacation this week.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And WIDE?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: He said he would be late.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So be it. Okay, looking for the agenda which I have opened somewhere. Oh, Agenda Review.

Okay, so what we've got going this morning we have, I believe, three elections. We need to go over the draft minutes and decide whether we

support them, that kind of thing. We're looking for an outbound liaison to the ICANN Board.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hello. Vixie joins.

FRED BAKER: Good morning, Paul. We have some work items, two work parties, ICANN65 planning, and then various liaison reports, and an AOB item. Does anybody have any doctoring they want to do to the agenda?

CARLOS REYES: Fred, this is Carlos Reyes for the record. I just wanted to note that you skipped the liaisons during roll call.

FRED BAKER: Oh.

CARLOS REYES: And we'll probably need to note something from staff as well during roll call.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Well, let's see here. Liman didn't respond, so I gather he's not here. Brad is on vacation. Russ Mundy, are you here?

RUSS MUNDY: Russ is here.

FRED BAKER: Yeah, SSAC. Okay. IAB, Daniel, I know you're online.

DANIEL MIGAULT: Yeah, I'm here.

FRED BAKER: IANA Functions Operator?

NAELA SARRAS: Naela is here.

FRED BAKER: Okay. And the Root Zone Maintainer?

DUANE WESSELS: Duane is here. Good morning.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Who else did I miss? There must be somebody.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I see John Kristoff.

CARLOS REYES: Yes, this is Carlos. I just wanted to note from staff we have Andrew, of course, Ozan and Kim. John Kristoff is also joining. He's one of the new Fellows that is helping RSSAC and SSAC. So, please welcome John.

FRED BAKER: Cool. Okay. Now that we've got the roll call corrected, any other changes to the agenda? Okay, Ozan, I think you're on for the Administrative items.

OZAN SAHIN: Yes. Thank you, Fred. Hi, everyone. This is Ozan. We are starting with the draft minutes from [9th] of April. I circulated draft minutes two weeks ago to RSSAC list. We have not received any feedback or questions since then. So if you do, please let us know. Thank you. Over back to you, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Is there anybody opposed to or abstaining from the minutes? Okay, we can consider them accepted then.

Our liaison to the Nominating Committee selection process – what do we need to do with that, Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: Thanks again, Fred. We wanted to flag that during this call because the nomination process will officially start next Monday, June 10, and it will happen on the RSSAC Caucus list and it will be open to Caucus in the

sense. So the nomination period will stay open for a month and it will close on the 10th of July. Then we'll be able to vote on it after the nomination period closes. Excuse me. Let me correct. The RSSAC will be able to vote on it.

That's the timeline on the process. Over back to you, Fred.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. What's happening there is that Andrew, Alejandro Acosta had been doing this for us for several years and we actually were able to keep him a term beyond his actual term limit. We jumped through some hoops and decided to do that. He is no longer able to continue. So his term is coming to an end, we need to pick a new one. Now, this is obviously open to RSSAC members but it's also open to RSSAC Caucus as Ozan mentioned. So we're going to discuss it on the Caucus list. That will be starting Monday, I believe.

Okay, next item, we've got travel support deadline and it's unusually early for ICANN66. Ozan, do you want to talk about that?

OZAN SAHIN:

Yes. Thank you, Fred. Some of you may be familiar with the updated deadline for supported travelers for the ICANN meetings. It's now 150 days of the meeting starts. With regard to ICANN66 travel support, we will have a deadline of July 5, if I'm not mistaken, and this is going to be right after ICANN65. So we thought we would put that in your radar because this is just a month from now.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

OZAN SAHIN: And please reach out to me and Carlos if you do have any questions on that.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Can we just go through the normal FCM website?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes. Thank you. This has not changed. Only the deadline date that has been changed which was increased to about 120. We will make sure to send a reminder on that to the RSSAC list.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you.

OZAN SAHIN: You're welcome.

FRED BAKER: Okay, so next item we have a liaison to the ICANN Board. His term has come up and so we're in the process of selecting a new one. We have a grand total of one nomination and that is Kaveh. Kaveh has accepted. He's willing to do it. So this becomes an acceptance [inaudible] formation process. So, thank you for doing the job again, Kaveh.

KAVEH RANJBAR: Thank you very much, Fred. It's an honor.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Work items. We have the RSSAC workshop reports which we need to [inaudible]. Is that correct, Ozan? We need to [inaudible] them?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes, Fred. But before that, I've just noticed that you might be looking at the older agenda. Before the work items, we have the NomCom 2 Review and the FY20 RSSAC workshop timeline, if I may.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. I'm looking at the agenda you mailed out.

OZAN SAHIN: Okay. So, Fred, would you like to continue with work items at the moment? What I see on the screen in front of me at the moment is that the six items – the NomCom Review and the RSSAC035, and then we have the workshop before the work items on the agenda.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Well, the way I see the agenda on the screen is screwed way up to the left for whatever reason. Okay, what do you want to do with workshop report, Ozan?

OZAN SAHIN: I saw the workshop report, Fred, and it has been stable for a while. This is going to be one of the working items for this meeting and RSSAC will be able to vote on it during this meeting so you can actually basically [inaudible] on the workshop report now if you'd like.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, are there any objections to the work item workshop report? Is anyone abstaining? So I believe we can consider that accepted?

Duane and Russ. The next thing I see, the right half of the agenda, there's a work party update from the Metric Work Party. Duane and Russ, do you want to comment here?

DUANE WESSELS: Sure. The work party had a meeting, a phone call last week. Essentially, we presented to the party with the most recent work party document. The work party document for the RSSAC Metrics is now in the RSSAC report format and we've been filling it in and making progress there. At the time of the call, about half of the metrics had been rewritten and reformatted into the new document format and about half had not yet.

We went through the document and had some comments there. There had been a lot of comments made to the document. I asked for people to help with writing and there was not very many volunteers, there was I think just one or two, and since that e-mail I've got another one from Tom – so, I appreciate that, Tom, and I just responded to you. We're trying to get to the point where we're ready to have something – to

complete document to look at for Marrakesh and I hope we get there.
Anything to add, Russ?

RUSS MUNDY:

No. I don't think so. We do need to keep pushing hard to get the document complete by then. So, yeah. It's good summary. Thanks.

FRED BAKER:

Okay. So in Marrakesh, we're going to have two work sessions dedicated to this work party. Let me clarify because this was a question at the workshop that I got from some of the people in the Caucus. This will be a Caucus meeting that's occurring online at the Marrakesh meeting. Caucus members – you should consider that they're attending a Caucus meeting for those two slots. What are we going to do in those two slots? What does the agenda look like?

DUANE WESSELS:

I don't know exactly, but one thing I hope we can do – I'm sure we're going to fill up all the time based on our previous workshop, we can spend a lot of time talking about metrics. But maybe since John is here – John, do you have anything to report on what you've been working on related to the Metrics Work Party?

JOHN KRISTOFF:

I don't have really much to show or demonstrate just yet but I can simply say that things are working out, it's looking out right – the right [inaudible] to meet the work party requirements. So I've been going

through the API, start to build templates of data to gather for that. I haven't gotten very far yet but most likely that data will be going in to the database and from there it can be pulled out or analyzed there in order to create some statistics [inaudible].

DUANE WESSELS:

So, Fred, I'm hoping that John's work will be mostly complete that we could talk about how do the metrics work – how do they look if we take the right [inaudible] data and sort of apply those algorithms, then we would have some actual numbers to look at to drive our further discussions.

FRED BAKER:

Okay, good. Thank you. Kimberly put the Google Doc link to the agenda into the chat room, so I'm looking at that now. As Carlos points out, I skipped a couple of items. So, Carlos, I believe you're on for RSSAC035 and NomCom 2.

CARLOS REYES:

Thank you, Fred. Hi, everyone. This is Carlos. You may recall last year, the NomCom went through its second organizational review, the Nominating Committee. The Independent Examiner issued a final report. That report was shared and there was one recommendation, Recommendation #9 that directly impacts the RSSAC. Essentially, the Independent Examiner is recommending that non-voting members of the NomCom become voting members. Currently, the RSSAC liaison to the NomCom has a non-voting role. At the time, RSSAC published

RSSAC035 which basically RSSAC agreed with the finding but didn't want to really take a position on that particular issue until the organizational [side] of this committee of the Board and the Board itself further vetted that recommendation. Since then, the OEC and the Board had both approved the recommendation.

So it's time for this group, RSSAC, to revisit that. This is just to flag it for the group so you that you can start thinking about the issue. Ozan and I are preparing the relevant documentation that you'll need to review in Marrakesh, a session dedicated to reviews, and this is one of those items that Brad and Fred wanted to allocate some time to discuss.

So, I'll stop there. Fred, if you'd like to add anything, feel free to do so.

FRED BAKER: No. I don't really have anything to add at this point. We're going to have a working session at Marrakesh about those?

CARLOS REYES: Correct.

FRED BAKER: Okay. We'll have some documentation to read before we get there?

CARLOS REYES: Yes.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So, that's coming up. Ozan, do you want to talk about the RSSAC workshop timeline?

OZAN SAHIN: Yes. Thank you, Fred. Hi, everyone. This is Ozan again. Back in April during the RSSAC workshop, we heard a few suggested dates for the next RSSAC workshop. Given the new supported traveler deadlines, I'd like to tell you that the Administrative Team will start focusing on planning for the workshop right after ICANN65. That's it at the moment. Over back to you, Fred. Thank you.

FRED BAKER: Okay. So now we finally get down to the work items. Okay. So, I believe that we've accepted the workshop report that will be published. We've had the Metric Work Party update.

The one that's left is mine, the Resolver Behavior Work Party. We had meeting by Zoom last week. Basically, Paul now has the prototype that he's been working on in GitHub and he's encouraging people to try it, install it, go play with it, and he frankly expects that people are going to find things that they don't like. Surprise. It's new software. He is inviting people to take a look at that.

The other work that we had hoped to get done, we haven't heard a whole lot from Jeff Houston in the APNIC [inaudible]. He is looking now at possibly designing a test methodology that would be similar to theirs and intending to accomplish the same kinds of things that they do so that we can have a documented and agreed to variation on that.

We plan to have a Resolver Work Party meeting at Marrakesh. And as with the Metrics meeting, that will be a work party meeting. It just happened to be in Marrakesh and I'm then using Zoom. So we're expecting to have that happen. We're very careful with the timing of that to try to make it be before midnight in [Canberra] and at a reasonable hour or at least not too awful hour in California so that the two principal people in the work party can both attend and actually be awake. I'm not sure I got a lot to add at that point but that's where we stand. Do people have questions?

Okay. Moving forward, ICANN65 planning. This is Carlos and Ozan.

CARLOS REYES:

Thank you, Fred. Hi, everyone. This is Carlos. The ICANN65 schedule is now live. It's going to be ICANN65 website. As you know, we typically prepare a separate schedule for all of you. Just to quickly review that, on Monday, we've blocked that off so that you can participate in the DNSSEC workshops since several of you do that already. And in Tech Day, so there are no RSSAC sessions on Monday. But we do have the RSSAC Dinner that night. We thought it would be nice just to give everyone an opportunity to get together before the session start on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Working with those, we've confirmed the shuttle that will transport everyone from the venue to the restaurant and back. So that will be a nice evening. You still have the opportunity to attend the opening reception for a bit a well. So that gives you an opportunity to do that.

As Fred mentioned, Tuesday, we have sessions, one focusing on reviews. Obviously the NomCom review will be one of the discussion items. We'll also dedicate some time to next steps in finalizing the RSSAC review. [Inaudible] move that into the implementation phase in May and we're nearly done with implementing the various recommendations. I think one that we need to demonstrate some progress in that report, so we'll focus on that.

We've blocked off some time for continuing the RSO [funding] discussion. This is continuing from the RSSAC workshop in April. As a follow up to that, Jeff circulated questions. We're still waiting on responses from a few RSOs, so we'll make sure to send another reminder about that. Those responses will help guide those discussions in Marrakesh.

Then last week Kaveh shared that the concept paper in the various documents for [inaudible] governance of the root server system and RSSAC37. Those four documents are now out for public comment. So we've blocked off some time in Marrakesh for RSSAC to discuss that and potentially respond to that public comment.

So, Monday afternoon there's some cross-community sessions, one related to policy aspects of DoH, DoT and other related issues. That's being led primarily by the ccNSO and the SSAC. Fred and Brad thought it would be good to not conflict with that in case some of you would like to attend that.

Then there's another cross-community session that's looking at the future of the multi-stakeholder model. Fred has been tracking that work

closely and has had a few conversations with Brian Cute. But again, if you're interested, you're welcome to attend that.

Wednesday, we have two sessions for the Metric Work Party. Duane and Russ will be guiding those two sessions. And as Fred mentioned, we have the Resolver Behavior Work Party as well. That afternoon we have the RSSAC meeting. This is in lieu of the July meeting, so that will be a formal meeting. I think by then we'll probably have an update from the Membership Committee with the new Statements of Interest that we received in the last few days. It was too late for this call so we'll slate that for that meeting.

Thursday, Naela asked for some time to go over, provide an overview of the IANA. So we'll do that and then we have the joint meeting with SSAC. I know Russ takes the lead with that, and Steve and Andrew will help him. Then later that afternoon, there are two other cross-community sessions, one focusing on GDPR and the EPDP Extended Policy Development Process and there's on Universal Acceptance.

Fairly compressed schedule compared to other meetings but hopefully it will carry sort of the same cadence of a workshop and we'll hopefully have a productive time in Marrakesh. Fred, anything to add?

FRED BAKER:

Well, a question for you. I was going through – I just got the thing yesterday saying, "Okay, you can go pick your different things but on schedule (my schedule) at ICANN." I can't figure out which thing on Monday is actually the DoH meeting that you suggest or that you mentioned. What is it called?

CARLOS REYES: It's on Tuesday. I'll check to see what it's called on the agenda. I think the name may have changed but it's on Tuesday afternoon. It's called Policy Aspects of DNS over HTTPS, DNS over TLS, and Related Issues.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Looking for that on my phone.

RUSS MUNDY: Carlos, this is Russ. You mentioned that it was sort of jointly led by ccNSO and SSAC. From what I've seen, the agenda is pretty much been fully turned over to SSAC and ccNSO is there following along. And I guess we'll be along the stage but it's primarily SSAC presentation.

CARLOS REYES: Okay, great.

FRED BAKER: Okay, so I did finally find this meeting. On the workshop agenda, it's described as belonging to the GAC. That might have been part of why I couldn't find it. Okay, fine. Okay, so that's ICANN65.

We're then going on to reports. The one thing I need to bring up, report from the co-Chairs. Brad has very much of the opinion that we're mostly effective when we're sitting face to face. He's a great believer in workshops. Speaking for myself, I'd really like to be able to work by e-mail and whatever. At any rate, if we don't achieve thresholds that we

can agree to, the thresholds that make sense in the Metrics Work Party, he would really like to have a workshop in order to sit down and discuss that. The best timing for that is likely to be either in August or October, not September basically because of me, I'm going on vacation. So we're starting to do some workshop planning and you'll see probably a Doodle poll about when would work for you and that kind of thing. If we can avoid having that, I'm in favor but we may need to have a workshop in order to discuss thresholds and close out the Metrics work.

Does anybody have comments on the thresholds or the possibility of a workshop for that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I'm okay with the workshop.

FRED BAKER: Okay.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I prefer that we go down to less workshop every year just because there's so much that we do travel-wise. But I think that your notion of let's see if we can get the work accomplished, and if we can't then we have to hold the workshop and maybe that will motivate people.

FRED BAKER: Yeah, I agree.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The right thing to do is: what's the metric that we say "go" or "no go" based on it. So I guess if we don't get the Metrics document published then we have to go, right?

FRED BAKER: Published might be too strong but we need to agree on what we mean by "thresholds." I suspect actually turning the document out the door is something we can do with – Metrics meeting says we've been having them. But at any rate, there they question there and something that we'll need to discuss in Marrakesh as in do we need a workshop in order to make this happen?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is there time in Marrakesh to talk about the thresholds? Because I have the feeling this is one of Brad's "face to face is better" because the thresholds sort of where we get into an ugly area that we tend to avoid and it's also a gating factor for anything about finances.

FRED BAKER: I hear you. Okay, so what we've done, we have two workshop meetings, working session, whatever we call them, set aside for metrics. Part of that will be Jonathan had been doing some prototyping with the right data and will be able to give us some idea of what thresholds might be reasonable and which will give us – might be discomfort with thresholds has been – if I'd pick a number out of the air who says it's right, I'd like to have some basis for whatever we decide. So that's what that prototyping activity is all about.

Yes, we're going to have some hard knuckle discussions I would imagine. But we have 90 twice, 180 minutes set aside specifically for the Metrics discussion. I do believe that a big part of that will be related to thresholds.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Let's remind ourselves of the threat that we need to [have] the workshop if we don't resolve it at the beginning of [one of those] sessions.

FRED BAKER: Yeah. Okay. Liaison to the ICANN Board – do you have comments for this? Carlos? Well, maybe he'll come back. Liman are you on now?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I think in Sweden it's some holiday so –

FRED BAKER: Oh, okay. So he's not on. Okay. So be it. And I know that Brad is not on. Russ, do you want to talk about –

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: There's nothing to report for RZERC I can say.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Russ, do you want to comment on SSAC?

RUSS MUNDY: Yes. Just a little bit. There are several things underway and one of the big attention items is DoH, DoT thing we discussed earlier. But with respect to our next set of activities, we do have a joint meeting scheduled for Thursday 10:30 to 12:00, 90 minutes again. I'm about to send out a suggested set of topics and please take a look at those if you think that anything needs to be added or removed or whatever, if we have anything people want to suggest right here on the call, I'm open for input. That's all I have, Fred.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Daniel?

DANIEL MIGAULT: Yeah, I have nothing to report.

FRED BAKER: Okay. Naela?

NAELA SARRAS: Hi. I have no updates either.

FRED BAKER: Duane?

DUANE WESSELS: No, nothing from the Root Zone Maintainer to report. Thanks.

FRED BAKER: Okay. AOB, our next meeting will be in Marrakesh [inaudible] the 26th of June. With any luck, we'll all be there but I believe we'll also be on Zoom. So that's what's happening there. Anything else that anybody wants to bring up at this point?

TOM MIGLIN: Hi, Fred, this is Tom. I know Keith and I had been working on the travel done and with our government passports. We haven't gotten all that done yet. So, both of us will be online attending the ICANN meeting at Marrakesh. We'll be on all of the sessions.

FRED BAKER: Okay. I appreciate that. That will be a dark hour in the night for you.

TOM MIGLIN: Yeah, but we'll be there. That's better than Kobe where we're even darker.

FRED BAKER: Yeah, okay. With that, I think we're done with the agenda. Time to adjourn. So, thank you for attending. We'll see you in Marrakesh.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thanks, Fred.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Thank you, Fred.

KIM CARLSON: Thank you all.

FRED BAKER: Kimberly, do I hear you talking in the background?

KIM CARLSON: I just said thank you.

FRED BAKER: Oh, okay. Good deal. Good night.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]