

---

BRENDA BREWER: Good day everyone, this is Brenda speaking. Welcome to SSR2 Plenary #77 on July 11, 2019, at 1400 UTC. Members joining the call today are Alain, Ram Krishna, Kaveh, Denise, Danko, Laurin, Russ, and Jabhera. From ICANN Org, Jennifer, Negar, Steve, and Brenda. Technical Writer, Heather Flanagan. We have apologies from Norm. Today's call is being recorded. Please state your name before speaking for the record and kindly mute your audio when not speaking, and I'll turn the call over to Russ. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: This is Russ. I also saw regrets from Eric.

BRENDA BREWER: Thank you, I'll note that.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So the first thing is a discussion of when we're going to have calls going forward. We did a recent doodle poll, I'm assuming you can see that on your screen. The results showed that this time is not the best, but that doing it Wednesdays at 1400 UTC would give us slightly better coverage, three more people could make it at this time slot and four more than any of the other time slots that were considered. So the question before us is whether we should make a change and move it to Wednesdays at 1400 UTC.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

JABHERA MATOGORO: This is Matogoro speaking. I would prefer, do we have two options where the selection matches or we only have Wednesday?

RUSS HOUSLEY: The doodle poll looked at Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at two different times.

JABHERA MATOGORO: So I think I would prefer for me personally, I would prefer Tuesday or Thursday, because Wednesday will always collide with my church program. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, that's consistent with what you put in the doodle poll, you marked only Tuesdays as available for you. But that slot only has eight, whereas the Wednesday has 12 people who could make it. So, the people responding to the doodle poll which was not everyone, Matogoro is the only one who cannot make the Wednesday at 1400 UTC. So, given that information. I think we need to make the change. Does anyone disagree? Okay, so starting next week, the call will move from the 18th to the 17th, so Wednesdays at 1400 UTC.

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Quick question, this is Laurin. Still on the scheduling, if I may ask, sorry I didn't connect.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: We just finished, we decided to move it. Okay. Jennifer, can you tell us about the request for the face to face?

JENNIFER BRYCE: Sure, this is Jennifer. Before I do that, Brenda has asked me to ask for the phone number that ends in 675 to identify themselves so we can add your name to the record. If you could speak up or type in chat, that would be great. It starts with 202 and ends in 675, and while we wait for that I will let you know that ICANN66 Montreal is the next ICANN meeting. The ICANN meeting dates are the 2nd of November through to the 7th of November. The meeting team as usual has identified two days beforehand the 31st of October, and the first of November, that have been set aside for review teams to meet face to face.

We discussed this briefly with the leadership team on Monday, and I had noted that we already put in a request for both of those dates on the basis that we can always cancel the request, it's easier to cancel than it is to put in a last minute request. And the leadership team indicated that the one day prior to the meeting, so the 1st of November would probably be sufficient. So that is what the request is at the moment, for the review team to meet face to face on the 1st of November and then the ICANN meeting itself will start on the 2nd of November. So, really this is just a comment from me, it's not a question but of course I will leave it open to the floor for anybody to raise any comments or questions. Thanks.

---

BOBAN KRSIC:

Hi, this is Boban. Yeah, so I wrote to the list and I was wondering if we could have a two day workshop, because of the project progress. If we are at the place and we have I don't know how many people off hand at the next ICANN meeting, I think it will be maybe a good idea to plan a two day workshop, than a one day workshop, because I think there will be some people there, I'm pretty sure we have a lot of work to do until we finish this draft report, and if we are at one place, maybe it will be a good idea to expand the one day to a two day face to face. What do you think about it?

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So, Boban, I think it really depends whether we see the contributions come in without being face to face. I hope that the recommendations are all settled by then and that we're working on polishing the findings parts. But it really does depend whether people engage and do that at home, as opposed to when we're face to face. I'm hoping the face to face is to sort out issues and disagreements, to reach full consensus, but it's hard to see whether that's going to happen at this point.

BOBAN KRSIC:

So, it's for final review or something else? Because if we are planning for that, then I would say it's okay for one day. But when I look back to the project, most of the work we've done so far was face to face meetings. Os I know what your intention is, and I'm totally with you because I also hope that we have a good draft until Montreal, but the time shows something different. I don't want to be pessimistic, it's only an optimistic way that we are going forward in the project and I also hope

---

that we will all have a draft report and that we only need one day for, let's say, final review or to get a consensus or something else, but maybe it's a good idea to plan something like an optional second day maybe for Saturday, or something else. That was the intention, but I'm totally with you. I hope that we will have the effort until Montreal and not working or beginning to work in Montreal.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So, Jennifer, is it possible to ask for the Saturday? My understanding is that if we had a second day, it would be the 31st, is that right?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

So we can request for a meeting on the 2nd of November, it's not going to be guaranteed in the same way that the 31st of October would be. And as you know, in the past, I think, Barcelona is an example, whereby we did put in a request we had the face to face meeting and we had to move from one room to the other. And there was a different tech support throughout the meeting. So I think we can certainly put in a request, and it would just be to flag at this point to be aware that we might have to deal with some obstacles that we wouldn't have to deal with on the 31st, but we can put in the request, certainly.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Well, let's put in the request and then hope that people do their homework and we don't need it.

---

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay, so just to confirm, we're requesting the 1st and the 2nd of November? Is that correct?

RUSS HOUSLEY: That's correct.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, so the next thing on the agenda is to go through the outline that Heather put together. So my understanding, and I'll let Heather fill in here, is that she's been doing a tremendous amount of reading in terms of figuring out what we've been up to. And based on that, she's put together the first draft of an outline and she's looking for feedback from the group. Heather, maybe you want to give a little more background before we open for comments on the outline that was sent to the team on Tuesday.

HEATHER FLANAGAN: This is Heather Flanagan. It sounds like some folks are having difficulties getting to that outline. I've dropped Jennifer a note and she's going to help with that. I was actually on an airplane at the time. And so things may not have done exactly what I expected them to do. As Russ mentioned, I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm just wildly impressed with how much material you all have pulled together and I hope I can do you all justice in trying to pull the last bits of the material

---

into place to make this a report ready to go out. What I originally did was recognizing that a lot of material is still in flux and final words have not received group consensus, I put them all together to say, okay, well, what would it actually look like if these things were final and where do we have gaps and how would the structure read?

And that's where that outline came from. I am more than happy to collect any feedback that you have, if you think there's other ways to express the information more clearly, I would take that feedback very well, constructive criticism is always appreciated. In terms of the document structure, a little bit more about that, I didn't read just the material that you all have put together, I also read some of the previous review team reports from other areas to see how their reports were structured and what seemed to be clear and pulled quite a bit from that. I do expect, if I was someone trying to consume this report, that I would probably take sections of it, saying okay, this group needs to worry about this, and that group needs to worry about something else.

So I did put in a certain amount of duplication of effort, for example, process and methodology, rather than have that as a single thing in overview, it is repeated throughout, since it's how I expect people to actually consume the information by focusing on their area of interest and what they want to get done, as opposed to reading it from start to finish. I'm not sure what else would be useful to offer as input at this point. Russ, do you have any particular questions or other ideas for me to share?

---

RUSS HOUSLEY:

No, I think it's time for the team to give you feedback if they have any.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT:

Thank you, sorry, I was the person who was on the phone, but I realized that for some reason I couldn't get unmated. Heather, it's a pleasure to meet you. I just have one comment, it's pretty much, I think Laurin would know, you pretty much went into my head and produced the document based on how I pictured everything being outlined. I really like the structure, the only thing I would probably want clarification on from yourself or from the leadership team or from the whole team is the section on each recommendation, that says Rationale and I think some background information after the recommendation itself, some of that was typed up in another document for some of the recommendations and I know that some of it, the wording and how it was phrased would be varied because of the various writers and how we kind of took different approaches to the rationale side of it.

Will each person who penned the recommendation be required to kind of provide Heather the content for the rationale and the background info, or will Heather try to sift through that and continue to fill that, populate those sections, and then have us validate it? I just wanted to know, because I'm pretty much free for the next two weeks, so I can pretty much help anyone who needs to do that start to fill my sections out. So, I just wanted to know.

HEATHER FLANAGAN:

This is Heather again, from my perspective, I would be more than happy to sift through what is there and try and make it a more coherent voice,



---

but at the end of the day, it's very much up to the experts and that would be you guys, to determine if I captured what you intended, and if I captured it correctly.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Okay, and Russ, I don't know what you would prefer just in terms of streamlining the process, given Boban's concern about us kind of hitting the target for November, we will probably just be reviewing the whole document at that point. I'm not wedded either way, I have the time now to help the team as well. I know that we have a right on board. So just to see what you would prefer to do.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Right, I don't know yet, since so much of the findings text is kind of still scattered and we haven't even had any consensus discussion, we've been focusing on the recommendations part. So I guess we'll see later on this call, whether we're at that point with the recommendations and maybe that'll give us a hint as to the way to approach this, but in the end it will be up to Heather to make it read like one person wrote it.

KERRY-ANN BARRETT: Great, thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Laurin, I think you had something you wanted to say?

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Yes, this is Laurin, sorry, I'm also on the phone because of app issues. First, Heather, thank you so much for providing this outline and I think from what I can see it looks really good. We might have to do some changes down the line, but that's always the case. In terms of getting agreement on the recommendations, I feel what we have to do is to kind of go back go through them one by one and see if we can attain consensus. We tried to have some of the discussions in Marrakech. Some of them were fruitful I think in terms of contact, but as you all know, we had extremely low numbers during some of the Marrakech meeting so everyone who was there didn't feel like we could make the calls. So, I think we need to unfortunately kind of do this on call to get things done.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Any reactions to Laurin's comments?

DENISE MICHEL: This is Denise. I'm on the phone, I'm in traffic. I agree.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, Heather, does that raise any concerns for?

HEATHER FLANAGAN: No, I also agree. I think that makes perfect sense. You have a lot of material here, you're not going to be able to get this done in any kind of timely fashion unless you do these reviews on the call and then have some quality face time to try and get through the last of it.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Yep, okay. So, I'm not hearing any big concerns with the outline and what the comments have been about is how we're going to get from an outline to a report, that's what I'm hearing. Okay.

JABHERA MATOGORO:            Hello, yes, this is Matogoro. Thank you Heather for giving this outline. I think for the starting point it's a good work. The only thing I see that there are a number of items which are kind of duplicates. For example, if you are saying for each recommendation, you are giving the rationale, and you're also giving the background for each recommendation, then I see like a kind of duplication. So maybe we need to format so that the common items feeds on its own section and then we see how we can group similar content on the different sections. Otherwise, it's a good starting point and I support the point that we also we go through each recommendation and find out the consensus, because as a kind of informal feedback from when I participated in ICANN65, consensus is one of the very critical points for the success of our report. Thank you.

HEATHER FLANAGAN:            I definitely agree that there is duplication and that we may want to clean that up. Some of the duplication was intended because that's how I expect people to be consuming the material. Other bits, though, were more just to make sure that in each recommendation there was a consistent enough pattern that we would be able to identify gaps as you go through, if the team working on a particular recommendation realizes that they haven't perhaps considered something in the

---

---

rationale, or something in the findings, the outline was more to help highlight those areas so that we can clean them up. At the end of the day we may very well bucket them differently. And so while I do expect people to consume this in chunks, maybe we can get the duplication out from within those chunks, where possible. It's something that I'll have to see how it looks when we have more words.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

So, I think there's also a second reason to think about this and that is when it gets to the Board has decided to implement all of our wonderful recommendations, then it could get divvied up in ways for implementation that some repetition might help the people doing the implementation. But that's what's hard about a document with multiple audiences. Okay, I'm not hearing anyone else trying to get voice time. So shall we move to the next agenda item?

So, there is a Google Doc reference in the agenda which includes The Center Of Excellence discussion recommendations text. We wanted to see, since a lot of this got worked on in Marrakech and a bunch of us weren't there, whether this has reached a point where we're comfortable or whether further work is needed. And I'm sorry, I don't remember, is Denise or Laurin going to walk us through this part?

DENISE MICHEL:

This is Denise, I can start. I sent an email yesterday, but I'm having trouble with Outlook and you may not have received it. So I had a phone call with Laurin yesterday morning and based on the anecdotal input he received from several people at the Marrakech meeting, he

---

would like to, and I agree, that we pull back on that recommendation and look at potentially a different approach and ways of incorporating it in another couple of recommendations that we're developing. So, unfortunately, we don't have a list of recommendations to discuss with the team at this point.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So, let me make sure I understand, what we have now is Recommendation 38, and what you're saying is this is going to be split into a couple less pervasive ones. Is that what's going to happen?

DENISE MICHEL: That was the net of my discussion with Laurin.

RUSS HOUSLEY: And this was due to feedback during the hallway discussions?

DENISE MICHEL: Yes, with various people on staff and in the community. This is very much a work in progress. But we're pulling together as a subgroup that has been focusing on the range of abuse mitigation and compliance issues and our plan is to discuss it further to make sure Laurin, Kerry-Ann, KC, reach agreement on the best path forward. And Laurin, does this track with your thoughts?

---

LAURIN WEISSINGER: Hi Denise, this is Laurin speaking. I think your information is more up to date than mine, but essentially the fact of the matter is that from what we heard there are a lot of open questions in terms of how something like this could work, what the obstacles would be, etc etc. So this is, as was noted, maybe hallway discussions and I feel we just have to kind of pull back. When we have the chat about compliance more generally, see if this can be incorporated in some way, shape, or form. Unfortunately, we weren't able to have that call yet, so I hope this will be.

RUSS HOUSLEY: So is that going to happen in the next week? I mean, what kind of timeframe are we looking at?

DENISE MICHEL: Yeah, I'm sending out a note today, to see if we can get everyone together Friday or Monday, so I should I should know shortly what the timing is on our discussion and the output of that. So I'm hopeful that we'll have something for our -- oh, we're doing a Wednesday call next week, rather than Thursday?

RUSS HOUSLEY: We are.

---

DENISE MICHEL: I'll check back with you. Right after, hopefully we have a call, right after that I'll check back with you the status and whether or not we're ready to have a broader discussion with the team.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, very good. Alright. So there's still a couple of places where recommendation text has not been copied into this Google document. In some cases, things have been marked, moved and merged, and that's fine. But there's still a couple where the text has not been moved from the Version 1 or Version 2 documents that we're working on. And I think they just need either to be copied over here or edited. I think the intent was that they have an edited pass as they get plugged in here. I sent an email to the penholders for those recommendations that are not yet here.

So I was hoping they would be in here by today, but they're still empty, so if those penholders can feel nudged by this comment, please get that done soon, certainly before the call next week. Okay, I guess I thought we were going to spend more time on the center of excellence. But obviously, that was overtaken by events I didn't know about. Any other business is the next thing on the agenda. Is there any?

DENISE MICHEL: This is Denise. I have a request for Staff. Could you please ask ICANN IT to address the security problems with Zoom on that? My company is now blocking the Zoom application on my Mac, which makes it difficult. And in parallel with that, if you could please also send around [inaudible].

RUSS HOUSLEY: Yes, I agree, the security problem they found on the Zoom implementation of Mac is quite disconcerting. So I know that's why I'm dialing in, and so it's probably affecting others.

JENNIFER BRYCE: This is Jennifer. Alain and Matogoro have their hands raised.

RUSS HOUSLEY: Go ahead.

ALAIN PATRICK AINA: I just want to find out if we now have an idea, an update version of the timeline for the rest of the week so that we know exactly from Marrakech to the end what the timeline looks like now.

RUSS HOUSLEY: This is Russ. The leadership will be over the next week or so looking at the work plan and now that we have a tech writer on board, seeing what happens. Obviously, we had a tech writer in Brussels and all the time from Brussels to now was essentially without a tech writer. So we need to revisit the work plan in light of that. So my hopes is that we will be in a place where we can present the recommendations in Montreal deliver a final report for the public review period by the end of the year. That's the sketch I have in my head, of course, that requires everybody in the team to engage and produce the work, and enough said on that.

---



ALAIN PATRICK AINA:                   Okay, thank you, Russ.

JENNIFER BRYCE:                   Matogoro has his hand up.

JABHERA MATOGORO:               Thank you, this is Matogoro. I really appreciate for the work we have achieved so far and I had about two observations that most of our work especially during fact finding or fact gathering, in general we have used two approaches, that is the qualitative approach and the quantitative approach. And in most cases we have done interview to team format and we have also done a kind of document review. So, it's really important that all those methodologies which we have used during the fact finding be well captured so that it supports our smart recommendation, when we are finalizing each of the recommendations.

So I recommend that we put much of our efforts in documenting the facts that we have gathered that support each of the recommendations that we have given. Because I remember in ICANN65 meeting some of us who attended it reaches a point where within the team we realized that the fact that we have gathered may not be sufficient to support the recommendations that we have given. So it's very important that as we now have a technical writer and we are also reviewing the Document 1, Document 2, to Document 3, so that we put much of our efforts to document the facts that we have gathered during the fact finding

---

processes so that they support each of the recommendations that we have given. I think that's one of the observations.

Of course, I might speak it because I'm pure from academia, where we believe that replicability and reliability is one of the critical factors to be achieved in any kind of research or any kind of project you are doing so that even if another person or another maybe review are given the same task, they can reach the same conclusion to avoid the kind of disparities, where if someone do the same for the same approach come up with the different findings. So I think it's one of the critical factors that we need to make sure that as we are now finalizing the work that we've done for for Round 2 or 3, that we make sure that each recommendation is supported by the method as well as the facts that we have gathered, so that it becomes a very smart recommendation. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:

Indeed, that's the part of the text that I was talking about, calling it the findings, but it's why did we come to the need for this recommendation. That needs to be written down in a way that someone doesn't seem to think we just pulled it from the sky. Anyway, so we're in agreement about the need for that work. Okay. Is there anything else anyone would like to raise, are there are the other hands, Jennifer?

JENNIFER BRYCE:

No hands at the moment.

---

RUSS HOUSLEY: Okay, I guess we need to summarize the action items.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Thank you, this is Jennifer. I captured a couple of decisions this time, first off, the new call time will be Wednesdays at 1400 UTC so related, we will get those calendar invites updated and sent around.

The 1st and 2nd of November are the dates that the review team is requesting to meet face to face in Montreal. So we will send that request to the meetings team and again send hold invites to the team.

I noted Denise's request for staff to ask IT for information regarding our efforts to address the security issues with Zoom, the request for Staff to send sites with content to the review team when possible. On that one I would just know that when it's feasible we can certainly do that for the most part, the team works off of the live documents on the calls and so slides don't always make sense and we do try and include the links to the documents in the agenda that we circulate beforehand so I would encourage people to use those links when they can. But with that, I have no other actions or decisions. Let me know if I missed anything. And that's it. Thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY: I think the penholders to copy the text over.

JENNIFER BRYCE: Okay, thank you.

RUSS HOUSLEY:                    Okay. I think we're done, then.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]