
CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening everyone. Welcome to the NARALO monthly teleconference call on Monday, the 10th of June 2019, at 1900 UTC. On the call today we have Eduardo Diaz, Glenn McKnight, Jose Lebron, John Laprise, David Mackey, Allan Skuce, Susannah Gray, Yubelkys Montalvo, and Bill Thanis also has just joined, as well as Marita Moll. From Staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, and myself, Claudia Ruiz on Call Management. Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes and to please keep you lines muted when not speaking to prevent any background noise. Thank you, and with this, I turn it over to you, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Claudia. This is Eduardo, for the record. Welcome everyone to another monthly call. I sent, I guess everyone saw the agenda for today, and I'm just going to make sure that everyone is in accord with it. Are there any objections to the agenda the way it is? If not, the agenda is approved as is. Today's meeting, even though it was set up for 90 minutes, it will be no more than 60, because I don't think it will take more than that. We are going to talk today about the election results and Additional Budget Requests.

If Michael is around, we'll probably hear his CROP Report. We're going to talk about the ATLAS III, where we are, how many applications we got, and if you have any questions, Glenn is going to give us an update of the North America School of Internet Governance in Montreal. We're

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

going to talk about the NARALO FY20 Strategic Plan, we want to show you what we have put together.

The idea today is if don't get any objections to the strategic plan, to submit it for approval. I just want to say that there was a call for volunteers for the ALAC Metrics Group that is going to be reactivated. We are appointed John Moore, Alfredo Calderón, and José R. Lebrón to represent NARALO in that committee. So I'm going to make sure that we keep updates on what's happening in that committee. I don't know when it's going to be the first meeting, but we will keep track of whatever they're doing there.

And hopefully, Jonathan will join us today, I don't see his name in the roll as a participant, so if he is around he will give us an update on the policies that have been discussed in the consolidated policy working group, which I always encouraged everyone to attend and become part of it and participate, that's were all the ALAC policies have been discussed, all the hot and current policies are being discussed, so that's a very good forum to bring new ideas and comments into policy discussion that we have.

So, the next agenda item is the NARALO Elections. As you can see on the agenda, we got the final numbers in and we included here the numbers that we sent in an email informing of the results of these elections. So, Jonathan Zuck got 12 votes, representing 57% of the total votes. Unfortunately, John Laprise did not win this election, but he's going to be around. If you look at it, we got 84% participation of the ALAC and 88% participation in the Secretariat, which I think is a very good turnout of the members that we have voting there. For the

Secretariat we got, I would say a tie, but it's not a tie, it's just two votes, it was much closer. So, Judith Hellerstein won with 54% of the votes, and Leah Symekher with 2 less votes, at 45%. The NomCom name that we're going to send to ALAC is going to be Glenn McKnight, and we selected him by acclamation, we didn't have any other contestants for that position. Anybody has comments about this? Okay.

So, the next item, we're moving along, the next item is an update on the ATLAS III and the North America School of Internet Governance. So on the ATLAS III, May 31st was the deadline for the applications that we were having a conversation with John Laprise, which is the person representing NARALO in the group that is going to look at all the applications and decide if everybody complies or not to the criteria. At one point there were 80 applications in but they came down to 67 because they were not completed at the time. John as you know, did you have a chance to check how many NARALO people applied to this?

JOHN LAPRISE:

No, as I mentioned earlier, I was unable to because I got a call out to Maureen because with that data it was corrupted in transit at least on my phone. I might be able to get some information later this evening.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, so John, now that I have you, can you tell me what's the next steps? What are you going to be doing the next two or three weeks?

JOHN LAPRISE: Actually the next week we have a due date I believe of I want to say the 20th, we're going to evaluating, we've developed a rubric and we'll be evaluating all the applicants according to their rubric, and then selecting the top candidates.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, and the target, this list of the selected people will be announced during the ICANN Marrakech on the date of June 24, I think that's a Monday, that's when the list will be ready in Marrakech. ICANN Travel has a deadline of the 5th of July for the Montreal meeting. I will say, it is not only for that but this is for all of us. That is their target, to have everybody all ready with their travel plans in place. They require now 120 days before the ICANN meeting to have everything in. Any questions about this, any comments? Okay. Let's move to the next item. Up next, Glenn, please, can you tell us something about where we are with NASIG?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure, thanks everybody for joining the call today. And thank you for the Staff on a very well run election as well. So, I appreciate all the hard work Staff did, as well, and all the people who ran, and especially all the candidate that were in the process, and a great turnout on the vote. So, I just want to go back to that and thank everybody for their participation and support.

Okay, so I want to give you an update on NASIG. Some of you may have attended in the first one in San Juan last year, a very successful one that was run by Eduardo and a great team with ISOC Puerto Rico. We had

three full days just before the ICANN meeting and then we went right into the ICANN meeting. So, what we're having in our location in Montreal, it's going to be two days prior to the ICANN meeting and then the Saturday I'm organizing separate from our NASIG is an event on GDPR with a gentleman who organized a training course with the government of Finland and other organizations, so we're going to be looking at a separate class that's going to be very optional to anybody who would like to take that.

So, we will be providing sponsorship for people who would like to attend, for their hotels, so we have a full agenda thanks to Judith and Alfredo who have been working for months now on filling the really great set of panels, very great discussion that we should be having on a variety of internet governance topics. So, like I said, two full days topics on internet governance and then we're going to be having some receptions, and we're working all that out.

Originally, it was going to be two tracts, one French and one English, and the French tract was much smaller, organized by Destiny and Jean Pierre, and they were working on that, and we were hoping to have that at the University of Quebec, but apparently because of the 150th anniversary of the University of Quebec, we won't be doing it there. So it might be Concordia, it might be McGill, so we have lots of time to settle on the location, which means the hotel that we select will be very, very close. Quick update on funding, we're doing quite well, we're at 70% of the goal, just still chasing people to pay up what they said they would pay up, and so all the logistics are coming along on that.

Another aspect is we will be doing copious notes at the location like we did the last time, which was organized by Susannah Gray, which does a fantastic job. At the end of the day we would compose the document and the same idea we hope to do in ATLAS III, as well, so I think it's a successful model. So, I need to know people who are attending the ATLAS III, make sure you let me know, we'll be having an application form for the NASIG, so bear that in mind so that you can stay longer and we'll be covering your hotel.

So, that's basically it from us, but I'll keep you well informed on how things are moving along. We have a lot of volunteers so if anybody wants to volunteer, Adrian Schmidt is one of them, Judith, Alfredo, so if there is something you would like to get involved with, just let us know. Any questions?

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Any questions for Glenn on NASIG?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Eduardo, this is Heidi, I'm sorry I didn't raise my hand. Glenn, you mentioned that there was an event that you were planning on the Saturday, I think you said?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Yeah, I realized there is going to be ALAC activities. It's going to be a separate event that is going to open to anyone on the GDPR. Again, the ALAC people I'm sure are going to be obligated for other stuff, and it's very optional. It's just that the GDPR person approached me saying

we'd like to do this course that we've done and we're doing it at EuroDIG, as well. So, it's up to you, if you're attending, if you want on this satisfactory do something else, it's up to you. So, I'll keep people informed, I just need to know the numbers for lunches.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So, sorry, Glenn, maybe we can take this offline, but when is that course? Is that something that could happen during the lunchtime which then ALAC people could go to?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm working that out with them, so let me just repeat the dates, 31st and 1st is our NASIG and then on the 2nd will be the workshop, it will be a workshop that was developed by [inaudible]; like I said, he's developed it with the government of Finland on GDPR. So I'll work out how long he actually needs for that, but it's very optional, but I'll be producing from him a full description and a signup form for that. I'll try to keep the workshop fairly central, it may not be at the university where NASIG is, you know, if we can get a room where the ICANN meetings are, that would be much easier.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, I'm going to ask Gisela and Maureen to coordinate with you on that, if that's okay.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah that's fine.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Because I think if we did that, then you might even be able to use the ALAC room, which would save on funding and it would allow At-Large leadership to attend if it was during a 90-minute lunch.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, thank you, that's a great suggestion, and I'll see how he can make that very concise, and I'll follow up with him on that. Thanks for that generous offer. And I just want to mention, thank you for Marita reminding me, Catherine is also going to be involved, she's another volunteer from Ottawa that will be helping us at NASIG, as well. Any other questions?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much Glenn for the updates. The next item on our agenda has to do with budget. The FY19 & FY20 Additional Budget Request. For FY19, for the Discretionary Funds, there is a balance of \$96 which has to be used, I don't think we have anything from now until then to add, to use those \$96, but I think we used the majority of the funds for events that we did during the year. Then for the FY20 I got an Action Item here from last time on the Real-Time Transcription which was one of the items I got approved. Judith and Silvia to start coordinate the meeting schedule for the FY20, and I'm not sure, Silvia, Judith excused herself today because she has a holiday, but Silvia, did you get to talk to Judith from last time on this?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, we are coordinating with Judith Hellerstein to start looking at the requirements of the project. I believe for this week we will have a call to review the main requirements and get organized for RTT.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I'm sorry, I had someone come into the room here, so Silvia I didn't hear everything you said, sorry about that. Can you summarize again? I'm sorry.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sure, yes, we are going to have a call actually this Thursday with Judith where we are going to go through the basic requirements and get organized to kick off the project in 2020.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so it's moving along. And the next one the wiki page that is created is not there yet, but it will be there eventually, right?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, this is Silvia, of course. For FY20 we are going to open up a wiki page for the discretionary funds.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, if we can open it up like in the next month, that would be great, because then we're working on coordinating new events and whatever happens after July 1st.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, Heidi. Really quickly, I wanted to let everyone know that firstly Staff will be opening that page within the next week or so, because we are aware that you might have requests for the first week of FY20, which is the 1st of July. But secondly, the regional leaders have agreed that the process for accepting or reviewing the applications for RALO discretionary funding will require an extra step, and that is first to have a review by the regional leadership, and I think also agreement, and then they will pass it on to Staff for review and agreement, and then the official result or response will occur. And so again, that additional step this time will be that anybody applying will first need to fill out an online form, get approval from your regional leadership, and then send it to Staff. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you. And just like I said last time, what happens if the region supports it and Staff doesn't? Because we're doing a two step process, so it can happen. Anyhow, we will see what happens when that happens. Okay, so thank you Heidi for letting us know that is in place. Also, there was a conversation last month even though the policy writing course was submitted for the additional budge request was not approved, I believe Heidi mentioned something that we may use some of the money from ATLAS III to support this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: This is Heidi, yes, so I did get approval that any kind of leftover funds from ATLAS III and we likely will be able to determine that as we get

closer, maybe towards the end of ATLAS III, but then we can also take that extra funding to do some post-ATLAS activities, and that will likely include that type of event, which is a course utilizing At-Large leaders or experts in policy advice development and then have a course that would utilize also ICANN Learn and possibly some sort of webinars for those who wish to take that course. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Okay, Glenn, were you the one proposing this?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I was just going to say that I did research the policy workshop that NCUC did the year before. They were funded for \$5000 with ABR stuff and they got it again this year. So their next policy workshop, NCUC policy workshop is next Monday. I just put the link in the chat. So again, they did a series of online webinars and then a face-to-face webinar.

So we do have sort of a model to look at and to modify and refine, but I think it was an important thing to suggest that we do it and develop the capacity within our region of people and especially leaning on the people who are really good at policy writing to do the workshop so that we can bring capacity to our community and more comments, more policy comments. So yeah, I'm glad to say that by hook or by crook we have some funds to do this and we just have to work out the logistics of who is going to actually do this workshop. I'm not sure what the next steps is on this, I'm sure I'll work with Heidi on this.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay. In any case, very good news that budget can be used for things like this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes, Eduardo, this is Heidi. I'm going to interrupt just really quickly, this course even though it was submitted by the RALO, ALAC stopped them from doing something across the region. So this is something that maybe the ATLAS III group or members or are participating who would help to develop this. So I think the next steps is just get through ATLAS III and then think about that, maybe towards the end of that event, and then start planning it that way. Want to the needs of everyone and also the budget for this course.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you. So, this course after ATLAS III.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. First of all we need to know that there is budget left over, and also it would be post-ATLAS activities. So getting through ATLAS, knowing what that resulted in, in terms of need, we might be able to identify where skills are needed, and then, of course, it would be developed following that.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, that makes sense. Well, in any case, it's good to know that that budget left over can be used for this. Thank you so much for the news. So the next item has to do with the Outreach Group.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry Eduardo, may I say something?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Sure, who is this, Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, just on the ABR stuff, unfortunately, I noticed Loris on the call, we did request funding for the indigenous fellowship again, and unfortunately there was not funds for that, but I just want to point out that at a presentation just two weeks ago in New York on digital inclusion, the keynote speaker, father of the internet, had a slide where he pointed out Matthew Rantanen's deepening involving with indigenous connectivity issues, as well as April Fasthorse, so we had showcased two of our graduates of our indigenous fellowship program. So even though we didn't get funding this way, I think we have recognition of the fact we've helped individuals move it along. So, I just wanted to mention that it was money well spent.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much Glenn for that information. Yes, I remember that email. Heidi, you have your hand up?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes please, that's great news, Glenn. That ABR was actually not submitted for funding, because we had a call prior to that with Loris and

Ergis, and Jurnish, who were at the fellowship program, and it was agreed that they would work together to develop targeted toward the indigenous community in North America. So, I can follow up on that if we have a call for that, and it would also be great to see some indigenous people during the Summit, as well.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Alfredo, you have your hand up.

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yes, this is Alfredo for the record. I just wanted to mention that actually for the Montreal meeting as part of the fellowship selection committee, we took into account the indigenous applicants and we will have at least two indigenous fellows participating.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you so much for that, that's great news, also. So, Michael Casadevall, I don't see him in the call, so he needs to report on his trip to ARIN 43 in Bridgetown. I have Marita, if you can tell us, there is an event tomorrow, right? This Pre-ICANN65 Marrakesh Readout that was last week, I believe, or the week before.

MARITA MOLL: I hope it was last week. No, no, it was last week. Glenn put together a great live stream of the proceedings and we had a number of people come out, although it was a challenge. Unfortunately, the US Vice President showed up in town that day, and so the whole town was

snarled up in traffic and nobody could get downtown, so we can't ever predict that sort of thing. However, it was a great event in the ARALO.com offices which we had not used before. And as I said, there was a couple of outputs. We did what we think could be a very useful how to do NARALO read out just following documenting the steps that we were following in order to do this.

And what we want to do with it is make it as a living document so that other people can take it, amend it, use it in the way that works for them. Because this is the third time we've done it and we've learned things every time, and next time also we'll probably make some amendments. But it's really great to be able to put it together and it makes it easier the next time around, and you can build on that. So I hope that we can figure out a way to use that as a common tool. That's it for me.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you Marita. Any comments on this or questions? If not, Judith is not here...

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, sorry this is Heidi.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Go ahead.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I wanted to thank Marita and Glenn for a fantastic document. And I'm wondering, rather than just focusing on NARALO, if that's something that all RALOs might be able to use. So, we could adapt it and have the other RALOs review it, then post it on the relevant sites for guidance for ALS readouts.

MARITA MOLL: Absolutely, I think the more people that see that has a useful document and take it on, that would make everybody really happy, we'll just keep on doing it. But it was really meant to push it out there and give people an idea of some steps they could follow to do a readout. Yeah, there are some steps that are going to be similar for all groups.

EDUARDO DIAZ: I believe that document was put up in appendix Strategic Plan, so it's going to be there.

MARITA MOLL: Oh, good.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, Marita, thank you for your report. Judith is there on the NTC19 because last time it was suggested that these two people, to see if ICANN can sponsor a table in that event and also she suggested that we apply for speaking slots on that even if we go there again, because the fees to participate are free or they are very low. So, we should look into

that, she's not here, and they are asking for timelines on this, if this is going to happen.

Alfredo Calderon also mentioned something about applying for lighting round session in the next event. We recommended also if we affiliate our organization to these events, that would be also by chance to not pay for it, that's the way I understood it, and if not, you can correct me Alfredo. There is also, you mentioned something about the lady from New York who lives in New Orleans and might be a possible new ALs So, Alfredo, please, can you update us on this?

ALFREDO CALDERON:

Yeah sure, this is Alfredo again, for the record. The first point that you mention, Eduardo, when the time comes for the digital inclusion even, they open a window that people can apply for the lightning rounds, but you have to raise that for the event, so when that time comes we can follow up on that. But there's going to be a window for that.

On the second point, to become an affiliate for the organization, you can be a free affiliate, you don't have to pay anything, just subscribe to the list. If you want to have access to all the data bases and all the information they have, there's a registration fee or an annual membership that you have to pay, based on the amount of income that the organization makes, and when I say income, keep in mind that we're talking about not-for-profit organizations, since were not on those lines, we'll probably have to go with a free affiliation or someone that has a nonprofit organization and wants to become a member, can share some

of the resources with us and we can see how we can work around participating representing that group.

The third point, as part of my outreach and engagement during the event, I gathered a list of possible prospects that would be interested in becoming individual members or organizations as an ALs and I think I shared with Eduardo and Glenn the first email that I sent to them about a week or two weeks before the event. And what I've been doing is I'm following up, sending them every two weeks more or less an email with some of the activities that we're holding that are pertinent to their interests. So that's how we've been working. I've been working with that. I do have a couple of them that are already following me through Facebook and through Twitter, and LinkedIn, and I believe that there is also a couple that are following the list and are observing what's going on within the RALO, as well. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Alfredo. So, I'm going to keep this on the agenda and if you have a timeline, we will discuss those next time. We just want to make sure that things happen, and if we don't think they should happen, then we take them away. Thank you, Alfredo for you report.

There is an event tomorrow that everyone is invited. Glenn, can you tell us about what's happening?

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

Sure, and I do want to point out that Greg's hand is still up, it could be on a previous item, Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Greg, I'm sorry, you had your hand up. Go ahead.

GREG SHATAN: Greg Shatan for the record. On previous items, I just wanted to mention that we at ISOC New York have hosted several readouts in the past and when planning the most recent one, discussed the fact that the term "readout" is kind of obscure and not particularly inviting, and that maybe it means something to the in-crowd, but that otherwise it sounds like possibly the most boring you could be invited to in the world, which is to have somebody read a meeting out loud for potentially days on end. I think this was originally coined by the Japanese delegation which made a point of basically sending people who are tasked with listening and transcribing, and describing the meeting back home to those who couldn't go.

For whatever reason, they adopted the term "readout" but if we continue to use that term, just because there's a certain comfort level in it, we at least will use some other term or some other slogan or motto or something more enticing or attractive, and in the long run, we might want to consider ditching the term "readout" entirely. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, and I guess at this time you don't have any suggestion yet, right?

GREG SHATAN: Super, mega-exciting ICANN wrap up.

MARITA MOLL: It's Marita, can I just say on that point, sorry Zoom is screwing me up here, again. We also think the term "readout" is obscure and I think we should work with some actual titles that are descriptive like "What's Happening in the World of" whatever, we used "Briefing" instead of "Readout" we were actually doing a pre-Marrakech one, so "briefing" worked better, but I still don't think it's actually quite good enough if you want to attract people outside of the inner circle. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Marita. Any other comments?

ALFREDO CALDERON: Yeah, this is Alfredo. I agree with what Greg and Marita just mentioned. What actually we've been doing here for the last two readouts is that we've added some more information, sort of, you know, you want to know what ICANN is all about, what are the latest events that are going in ICANN, what is ICANN doing to make the internet more secure. Those sort of phrases added to the readout as the title has helped us get more involved, although we do it in Spanish, keep that in mind, because our focus is for Hispanics and Latin America.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Alfredo. Glenn, Stay Strong and Free.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, very quickly folks, Canada's new digital charter was launched by the Canadian government as a 10-step system, I just put in the chat, it's going to be from 10:00 to 11:00, so I'm inviting all the Canadians, but if any Americans want to learn, they are more than welcome. But we're going to have a chat on each of the 10 points. So please attend if you have a chance, we're going to walk through each of the 10 points and then give our opinions. Again, this is consistent to the NARALO insights approach to look at relevant issues that are hot in our community. That's it.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. And jumping to the next one, which is the CROP Strategic Plan, I forgot to put the links in again, so if anyone has the link, or if we can display it somewhere, sorry for that. So, Glenn, you want to take this over.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry, do you want me to talk about the Outreach Strategy?

EDUARDO DIAZ: The CROP, yes.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay, so I shared the document that's two parts. We're obligated to give our CROP Strategy to the community and the GSE to sign off.

The CROP team, Ozan and Mary Wong, are asking for the strategy, so it's quite simple, in terms of, as you can see in the document that I've shared, the strategy is three CROP trips and we identified CROP trips that were successful, so we're still very open to any other trips that you feel is valuable and again the priority on this round of CROP is different than in the past. You cannot be funded for your registration so you'll have to make an extra effort if you're going to be going to this, and there are fees that you have to make an effort to get either a fellowship where they waive the fees, or be a speaker where they waive the fees.

So the three particular CROP trips that we looked at is ICANN66 in Montreal, one spot for someone, the digital inclusion program which was very successful, that Alfredo and I were at, it will be in April 2020 in Portland, and then staying within the region, the ARIN trip would be in 2020, we're not sure where that is right now, but I think they're talking Seattle, but I'm not sure, maybe Susannah knows where that ARIN trip will be. But again, those are the three, there used to be five, it's only three, and it has, the reason why ARIN is there because we have an MOU, but again, we need to do trips within our region and if they're ICANN focused, that's the number one thing. So, that's the core aspect of the plan.

The second aspect of the plan that we've added is a long list of how to use the discretionary funds. So, again, if you have something within the guidelines, whether it's a briefing or something else, but again, it's meant to be a small amount of money that's local, so travel and hotel is discouraged, but if you need a little bit of money to help offset your expenses for promotion of the event, please let us know. And what we

put down in 2.0 in the plan is just a list of things that could possibly be done in the next fiscal period. So, that's it, back to your, Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. Also, you mentioned that you added an appendix to this document, the readout on how to do it.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yes, and Appendix 1 is the readout, or briefing, whatever you want to call it, but also I've shared with Staff for other RALOs to utilize this document as well as a Google doc. Because it's such a big part of what we do in terms of discretionary funds, I thought it was important to add it to the document.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, Susannah, you have your hand up.

SUSANNAH GRAY: Hi, this is Susannah for the record. I just wanted to answer Glenn's question. The ARIN meetings in 2020, are October is in Seattle and April 2020 is in Kentucky, Louisville. Also I had a question, I just wondered what the rationale is behind not funding registration fees.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Anybody know why we are doing that? I don't know the history behind that. Anyone know?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, this is Heidi. The thought is now that RALOs have discretionary funding, those funds can be used for any kind of registration fees, et cetera, and we've done that in the past. So they can be covered, just a different budget source. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: So, let me see if I understand, the discretionary fund can be used for registration fees, is that what you're saying?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Correct, absolutely.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so Susannah, you have your answer there, you can use it. So, does anybody have questions, comments about the strategic plan that Glenn just presented?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I have a question, I got the April 2020 in Seattle Washington, but I didn't catch the October one Susannah was saying.

SUSANNAH GRAY: April 2020 is in Louisville Kentucky, and October in Seattle.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Ah, okay, I had I backwards, okay, great. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: There is a comment by Evan Lebovitch in chat, it says, "I have now come to the conclusion that CROP is not only a poor use of resources, it perpetuates perception of ALAC as an ICANN charity case, which is damaging its long-term relevance. Let's think of better ways to spend the money than being spent for ALAC elite." So, Evan, if you can come with ideas on how we can use the money better, I think anybody would be open to it. So if you send us a couple ideas, we can start discussing those.

EVAN LEBOVITCH: This is Evan for the record. Unless previous calls, I've actually got voice on this one. Thanks for reading this out. I didn't mean to take this in a different direction, just to sort of express my own frustration. I have proposed projects in the past, I proposed a couple, they've all been rejected by ICANN Staff for the usual lack of reason, so forgive me for not having a lot of confidence in that alternative, either. I don't know what does work, since what I've proposed has been rejected, so I don't know what does work.

What I do know is that as we go through things like the ALAC review, as we go through things like ATLAS III being a poor, poor remnant of previous At-Large summits, we're starting to see a, I think, a real, real significant threat to the very existence of At-Large. It exists within the bylaws but the reviews have been damaging and I think we need to be totally conscious of the fact that when we, and I don't just mean me, as

we are coming up with ways to best use the resources available to us, start to think of ways that doesn't mean funding somebody's own benefit, somebody's own travel, somebody's own whatever. I'll just leave it at that. Obviously we can, this is a much greater topic, one I'm hoping might even be taken up by ATLAS, because this is certainly not North America specific.

Yeah, Heidi, you're right, At-Large is the only group that uses CROP. That is telling. We are the only ones that are making requests of ICANN to pay our people to fly out and do outreach. That is a problem, not a benefit and we're not going to settle this on this call, and we not settle it ever, I just would like to plant the seed in everybody's head. So, I realize there are other groups that use CROP, that doesn't take away from my belief that the use of CROP as a use of precious resources is not an optimal way to be doing this.

And Eduardo, I wish I could tell you that I had a better answer, I have some up with better answers in the past, they can be seen in my applications of funding of ICANN projects that were not travel funding or anything like that, and they've been rejected without so much as any kind of an explanation why, so I'm at a loss. All I can say is this isn't a good use of resources, and the ones I proposed as alternatives have been rejected, so I leave it to better brains out there perhaps to come up with something else. Thanks.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you for your comments, Evan. We'll take that offline, and again, thank you for that. Next one is Chris. We're running out of time.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Can I speak as well, please?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Who is this?

LEAH SYMEKHER: Leah. Yeah, I was waiting, but when Chris is done.

CHRIS MONDINI: No, it's okay, go ahead Leah.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Thank you, Chris. Very briefly, sorry I was in the car and my phone overheated and everything, we are going through a very hot day here in California. I realized on the summaries for Noncom the last time I gave an update was in March, that's actually February, that's a long way back, but hopefully everybody has been following the updates via the newsletter, I try to be proactive in making sure I'm updating the community and our community specifically on the noncom process. We are now down to 24 candidates from 128. We are going to reach out to the TPI and the Board candidates who will be interviewed in a face-to-face meeting in Marrakech.

There was definitely a request from the community to have a similar face-to-face interviews with the rest of the candidates for the various constituencies and leadership positions, but it just is not going to be, we

were trying to figure out a way to do that, but that has not been decided yet. So it definitely will not be a face-to-face, but some kind of communication might happen, or review to decide the other candidates. So, stay tuned, it has been a very exciting year, I think we have great candidates in the remaining 24 pool of candidates to select from to fill 10 seats.

Additional, I am on the nominating committee review implementation working group and we are doing a webinar I believe on the 13th, and I sent that information to NARALO, hopefully you have all seen it, because there will be no update in Marrakech. So, this webinar is in lieu of having a physical update done in Marrakech. So this will be done via webinar so hopefully you can all attend to know what the review implementation group is doing. I have one more last point, but maybe I will share this when it comes to the other section. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you so much, any comments, questions for Leah? Okay, Joe or Chris, can you give us an update on what's happening in the North America Stakeholder Engagement/

JOE CATAPANO:

It's Joe, just real quickly, I know we're short on time. I know we talked, Marita talked a little bit about what has been called a readout, which it sounds like it may be called something else soon, which is big. I was happy to be up there and talk a little bit about ICANN and the multistakeholder model. It was a great event, glad to be a part of it, and I think that document that you all were talking about collaborating on to

how to make a readout of that, or whatever, it's a great idea and I think it would be very useful.

The other thing that happened the same week was we had our VP for Technical Engagement speak, he did a TED style talk on digital inclusion through the lens of universal acceptance so we were happy to be a part of that and look forward to more things like that in the future. I will be in Marrakech, so I look forward to seeing anyone who is going, and as far as the future readouts for ICANN65, we'll hopefully be in touch soon so we can do some advanced planning on that. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you. Any questions for Joe or Chris? If not, we're running out of time, but we never out of time for policies, so Jonathan, please, can you give us an update on that.

JONATHAN ZUCK:

Thanks, I appreciate it, and thanks everyone for your support during the election, I will do my best to be worthy. We're having a lot of policy conversations in the lead up to Marrakech and one of those conversations is about the talking points. If you recall, we did some kind of hurried unilateral talking points in Kobe, but this time we're really trying to put it through the process of the CPWG and everyone else that wants to take a look at them, they are posted, and I welcome feedback on the rough draft comments that I've done, and the idea at this particular meeting is going to be to actually have a discussion at the beginning of the meeting about the talking points, and then also opportunities over the course of the week to use them, so we're going

to try to encourage people to take these talking points into a meeting at ICANN, raise them, and come back with what the reception of those talking points was. We'll then have a meeting at the end of the week to kind of ask everyone how it went. So that's our experiment for Marrakech with respect to kind of unified consensus oriented outreach on the part of the folks that are there representing At-Large.

As far as public comments, Marita is on the call, is working diligently to try and find the common ground in the group with respect to the changes to the multistakeholder model, which if you recall is one of the Board's strategic plan, and then Brian Cote, who was formerly the head of PIR is heading up an effort on behalf of the Board to try and gather community input on the multistakeholder model could be improved, and there is a pretty lively discussion within the CPWG and the At-Large more generally on whether or not we should just follow the path that they've laid out for us and participate and just answer the questions they ask, or take our own initiative to broaden the scope of it and to refocus the community on structural issues that have been a stone in the shoe of At-Large and many others for some time.

So that conversation is ongoing, but I think there is a good chance that a final document will draw some kind of a line in the sand, as some sort of structural change is really necessary for true reform of multistakeholder model. I don't know if even Marita or Evan would like to speak up here, but that's one of the things that's going on. I'm just on the phone so I don't know if either one of them has raised their hand or if they want to speak up on that topic.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Yes, Leon, you have your hand up, go ahead.

LEON SANCHEZ: Thank you very much, Eduardo, thank you very much, Jonathan. Just to report what Jonathan just said, this is a very important process for our community and in the Board we expect to gather as many and as much feedback as possible. The things that are being explored have already been used in different working groups, such as the CCWG and it's possible that the solution is different probably because to involving our multistakeholder governance model, but we just haven't realized it. So your feedback is essential to this exercise and as part of the Marrakech meeting, we will be following up on this, and I would definitely invite you and encourage you to take part in this effort. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, Leon. Jonathan, I have a question for you, but Marita, you have your hand up.

MARITA MOLL: Okay, I'll just say a couple words about the evolution of the multistakeholder model. We will have a document out, we've been working it on it, the CCWG working group for the last three or four weeks. We've put together something that is appropriately high level. This is not a document where we'll get too far down in the weeds of the detail of how this evolution is really going to happen. There are going to be more points along the way which we can refine what needs to happen next. There is going to be a webinar either tomorrow or

Wednesday, which Brian Cute is going to be discussing some of the next steps.

There will be a really good meeting at Marrakech which I will only be able to attend online, unfortunately, where we're going to be moving forward again. What's happening right now is that all the comments are being assembled and we work so that we can take it to the next step of telling us what the result was from all these comments and his idea about where we're going to move from there, which I'll give you a little heads up, is going to be about who is going to take responsibility for dealing with some of the issues that we ourselves have brought forward. And there you go.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you Marita. Question for Jonathan, this talking point, when is it going to be discussed in Marrakech? Is there a time?

MARITA MOLL: I can't tell you the time, I don't know myself.

EDUARDO DIAZ: No, no, this is for Jonathan.

JONATHAN ZUCK: Yes, Eduardo, there isn't a time, and I think it's like the first meeting on Monday, like 8:45, or something like that, I don't have it in front of me.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, this is Heidi, and you are scheduled to speak after Maureen welcomes everyone, so you are on 9:15 to 10:15.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, so those of us that are going to Marrakech, make sure you all go to that meeting.

JONATHAN ZUCK: That's right, we want everybody at that meeting because we're trying to really coordinate how to communicate over the course of the meeting. So, related to this issue representation and influence within the ICANN community, we're starting to have conversations with some of the leadership of the GAC about forming strategic partnerships on various issues, and one of the issues for potential partnership is on geographic names, but of course both the At-Large and the GAC are split on this, and so we'll be having a policy session in Marrakech specifically devoted to trying to hone our point of view and find where the common ground is within the At-Large on the geo names issue, so that we might have the possibility of moving forward with strategic partnership with the GAC and proposing compromise solutions for them, et cetera, so that is also going on in Marrakech.

We're going to do a comment on the root server proposal to sort of finally kind of bring the whole operation under the umbrella of ICANN, and if you recall two meetings ago we had a presentation from the RSAC about how they were going to do that, and we were all very impressed, so I think it's going to be a brief comment of support for that proposal

to kind of finally bring the root servers under the umbrella of the ICANN community. And that's it for me, Eduardo. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thanks Jonathan for the policy report.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Eduardo, if I may just very, very quickly, this is Leah for the record. I just want to quickly share that in May I represented the chapter at the Silicon Valley Technology IRT Conference and at that conference I was able to meet with Robert Tse who is a state broadband coordinator, who worked with us very closely during the rural broadband access project that completed last year. Just to let you all know that the data collected during that project is being used as a benchmark for many other research that's happening, such as access for rural planning, and I would like to invite the rest of the ALSes if you are in the region that this is an issue that you could definitely reference project results that is on our website, and also Robert Tse is looking to have us work on various other projects as well, that have developed as a result of that particular small project that has now become a big focus for this issue of access in rural farming regions. So I just wanted to share that with everybody, open it up to the rest of the ALSes. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you, so much. If there is a report or a document that we can read more about the project and the details, can you send that for us to look at it.

LEAH SYMEKHER: Yeah, absolutely, we have a lot on our website and I will just a link to the particular conference, they could have recorded the conference to see the various speakers who attended and talking to this topic. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Okay, thank you Leah. So with that in mind, I have a motion here to adjourn this meeting. Thank you so much everyone for participating today. Next meeting will be on July 16, so see you then.

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Thank you all for joining the call, this meeting is now adjourned. Please remember to disconnect all lines. Thank you.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]