

---

YESIM NAZLAR: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the LACRALO Extended Leadership Call taking place on Monday, 27<sup>th</sup> of May 2019 at 18:00 UTC.

On our call today, on the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto, Carlos Leal Saballos, Humberto Carrasco, Ricardo Holmquist, Lilian Ivette de Luque Bruges, and Carlos Raul Gutierrez.

Currently, we don't have anyone on the English channel.

We have received apologies from Adrian Carballo and from Bartlett Morgan.

From staff side, we have Silvia Vivanco, Claudia Ruiz; and myself, Yesim Nazlar and I'll be doing call management for today's call.

Our Spanish interpreters today are Paula and David. Before we start, I would like to remind everyone to state your names before speaking not only for the transcription, but also for the interpretation purposes as well, please.

Now I would like to leave the floor back to you, Sergio. Thank you very much.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Yesim. I can't remember whether it was Yesim or Claudia but thank you for that introduction. Let me first say that Marcelo Telez sent me an email. He emailed me also sending his apologies because he was unable to join us for this call. As you may have seen, we have quite a

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

busy agenda but I think that we will quickly go through the working group report first. Perhaps we can change the order. I know that we won't have much information about working group reports because there have been no meetings, but just please raise your hand if you want to give your report. Try to be as brief as possible because we have to ... Some of the topics to address that will take a lot of time, like the FY20 budget, the report on the election process, the LACRALO outreach strategic plan, and the General Assembly. First, I'm going to give the floor to Lilian for her to give us her report. Go ahead, Lilian.

LILIAN YVETTE DE LUQUE:

Good afternoon to you all. I have had some productive days and as a result of the participation in the governance forum, I've realized that in addition to the Communications Working Group, we had to do some networking and some public relations with the community. It is amazing how little knowledge there is in the community about LACRALO but when we talk about the work we are doing, people show a lot of enthusiasm. They want to participate. Sergio, Humberto, and myself can answer many of the questions they have and we can also deal with the [inaudible] because they want to learn more.

I also want to thank Silvia for her support because there are approximately more than 100 people in the school and I have just sent them information about ICANN, specifically about At-Large and LACRALO – the different programs, the ICANNLearn, the fellowship program, how they can start participating in the ICANN ecosystem. Those who are getting ready to participate in the ICANN meeting in Cancun next year, they can really make good use of the material

---

because we have people from different places, not only from Mexico but we had a lot of attendees from Central America, so it would be important to get them to participate more actively. Central America needs to participate because they can play a very important role.

Finally, I got access to the Facebook page. Why was I insisting so much on the Facebook page? Because one of the goals that I set for myself in the Communications Working Group was that ALSes should start participating actively and reporting on the activities they are carrying out in their respective areas. So I was a little bit [inaudible] because they wanted to go into this page and start posting information and one of the founders of the group in 2009 was [inaudible] so I depended on him, but now I am the administrator of that page, so now I can grant them access to this page. So in order to avoid any [inaudible] group, I will ask the ALSes to post information about their activities directly on that Facebook page and we will share also their information that we are developing together with Evin and with the Social Media group.

I am starting my activities once again after vacation but I have to come up to date with my Twitter messages but I will start tweeting today, so I'm taking care of those outstanding issues.

Basically, that is what I had to report. I think that we have to keep on working to see how much information we can obtain and convey from the Marrakech meeting. So if you have any questions, just let me know.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you. I have raised my hand, Lilian, because I have a couple of questions and some suggestions. First of all, I would like to know how

---

many people participated in your working group in the last meeting. Do you remember that?

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: In the last meeting, we had apologies from two people and we had three or four people out of ten. We are ten in total.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Then I have a suggestion. You were giving us all this information before doing what you said you would do. I don't know if it would be better if all ALSes, if they don't have any logical guidance from LACRALO and ICANN, I'm not sure whether all those ALSes should have access to posting information on the Facebook page on behalf of LACRALO.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Well, we can establish some controls for posting because it will depend on the ALS's mission.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Great. That was my first suggestion. My second suggestion is the following. I suggest that you speak with all the group members to make sure that they have access to the Facebook page. Perhaps they can have administrator rights so that they can also help you with that because I understand that in the future you may have a lot of work to do and perhaps you won't be able to do everything on your own, just to take care of all the postings and get information on the website. So if you have ten members in your group and they are working actively in the

---

region, perhaps you can talk to them and you can delegate on them some tasks. You can share the responsibility.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Yes. Teamwork. I understand perfectly what you say, Sergio, in sharing responsibilities.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: And also talk to the former administrators to explain to them that if they want to work now, the working group is going to take over this role, that there will be some rotation. So probably some other people will take over after some time, so if they want to be included, they can be included. In order to avoid problems [inaudible] with any organization, perhaps they want to participate and they didn't realize that they would be able to participate and now they are no longer going to be the administrator. So perhaps we can avoid that kind of problem and we can organize communications through that page.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Yes. That is clear. We have Dev, Carlos Aguirre, and the current [inaudible]. Carlos Aguirre may recall who were the former administrators.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So I suggest that you send an email trying to reach out to them, explaining to them what responsibilities of the working group are and if they say that they don't want to participate in the working group, you

---

explain to them that they will no longer have administrator rights because only the [ten] members of the working group will have those rights from now on.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Thank you for your suggestion. Yes. Thank you for that [inaudible]. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Carlos [inaudible] going to have a meeting. Good morning or good afternoon. Which Carlos are you talking about? There are two Carlos'. I'm talking to Carlos Leal.

CARLOS LEAL SABALLOS: I was going to ask who you were talking to. We have enabled access to the platform. We are working with staff. We have five people, [inaudible] and others. There are five people. The truth is that I am not yet up to date with the discussions in Kobe and I still have to get some [onboarding] on WHOIS and GDPR for the working group. We do have the document but I still haven't been able to have someone who can talk to us about the whole background of this issue. Our Caribbean colleagues have been present in those discussions so I haven't had the chance to get them to talk about this, although we have the documents.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Carlos. I suggest that [Harold] should get together with Carlos and look into this because it would be interesting for them to

---

make some progress now. I'm going to give the floor to Carlos Raul. I'm going to give you a few minutes to give your report. Let me clarify that Vanda requested that she should be taken out of the group because she didn't have the time to work on this group because she was also participating in other groups, so she decided to step aside and she suggested having Carlos Raul taking over. So, Carlos kindly accepted this invitation so it is [inaudible], Carlos, to have you as part of our team. So I'll give you the floor for you to give your own report.

CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ:

The last message I received from Sergio, I read it a few minutes ago. We are going to ask for the list of those who were recording these working group and we're going to send you a direct link to see if we can check the level of interest and the possibility of giving the same numbers. Otherwise, we would have a new issue, that is to review the intent of the group and to try to progress. So we are in the process of doing this. Silvia is helping me and I hope by Marrakech to have the definite proposals.

Sergio, I will try and deal with this issue. This is actually the heart of ALAC activities. That is, to represent the interest of end users. So we'll see how we can progress with that. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Carlos. It's very good to have you working with us in the region. There is another issue I would like to add at this point. All of our regions is undergoing a long process. It's a process that's been on for a few years. And this is really being idle. There are many people who

---

don't read the emails in the region, except those who are very active. Out of the 58 ALSes, I would like to have an average, but there's probably five or six or eight ALSes actually discussing the mailing list.

So my opinion is that we should have some sort of [craft work] [inaudible] a Doodle and this Doodle invites them to participate and show their availability. So we need to encourage people to see if [they can start working].

CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ:

I would like to add that last week we had an [extraordinary meeting of the council] and we had a small presentation by Brian Cute on the strategies for the next five years. The board is very concerned about a main issue which is money and the only other issue mentioned at this level of importance is volunteer fatigue. I think this is an equation that we need to close because what you have just described in our region in LACRALO is actually the result not only of fatigue but also the process for reorganization, for restructuring. This is really very important. It's paramount that we can have more attention from people on these issues because we are the example of total fatigue.

I think those of us who are active should make good use on the webinars for the strategies for next [inaudible] because with are the live proof not of problems in regions but of systemic problems throughout ICANN. And I'm sorry to interrupt you.



---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: That's okay. No problem. What's interesting about this is that we should be able, especially because of what Humberto said the other day, part of our involvement in ATLAS III is associated to how we are working with the working groups. If we have no metrics, all of these people involved in the working groups will have no possibility to travel. So we also need to think about that as a way to have a number of organizations in ATLAS III that are related to the regions and that only those who are working on the working groups, on the ALS working groups, these usually are the English-speaking people. So it would be very interesting before completing the LACRALO activities to have [inaudible].

So we need to have two things before the 5<sup>th</sup> of June. We need to have at least one activity of the working group. I know that the education or Capacity Building Working Group has requested a Doodle to meet. I believe the IDN group will be a bit more difficult. Marcelo is having some health issues and he asked me if someone can replace him. We need to think about who could work in IDNs to work on this [inaudible].

I don't even know how many members are there in this group. If Harold is in the group, if you can check, Harold, how many people just make up the group, please tell me. But there are a number of people then involved there and it would be a pity if none of them could work on this.

With respect to what Carlos Leal said, Harold has taken this and they will try and see what's going on. But my concern is everybody involved in the group should be involved in it, should participate. If we don't do this, we are going to see that we're going to find ourselves in a sort of vicious circle where nobody is working because there is nowhere to work, and when there are places to work, nobody does.

---

So the other [inaudible] – and I'm now going to give the floor to Lilian and Silvia. So we need to check that these people are working in the LACRALO working groups. The [inaudible] needs to be a starting point for them to start working in the ALAC. ALAC has open arms for us to go there. We have simultaneous interpretation for us so there are no excuses for any of these people in the region to refrain from participating in these structures. So I now give the floor to Lilian.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE:

Two things. Some of the participants in the group already know that there is a need to join social media group. There is even one person that has already joined. So I was going to contact Silvia to send an email to all the group members giving them some indications of how to join the Social Media Working Group and perhaps others that they may be interested in.

Secondly, I talked to [inaudible] [Cavallo] because in connection with what we discussed in Mexico, there is a need to have an open webinar with an introduction to ICANN. So we should first have a social media [inaudible], help to collaborate with that and then have another webinar as a sort of introduction to LACRALO and ICANN for beginners.

So I'm not going to be in [inaudible] working group meetings. That's Harold and I, as we did a few days ago, we can just meet again on a phone call and discuss it again. Thank you.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Lilian. I'm now going to give the floor to Silvia. Go ahead, Silvia, please.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Just to remind you that the deadline for ATLAS III, to apply for ATLAS III, is on May 31, on Friday. So this is a key week in order for more members in the region to complete the online form. So please remember this is the last week. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I have a question for you, Silvia, before you go. Do we know how many people in the region have applied? Just a general number.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I would need to check that. I can talk to someone in staff so that they can give me an approximate number.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much. Ricardo is now raising his hand, so I'm going to give the floor to him. Go ahead, Ricardo, please.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: I hope you can hear me. With respect to the IDNs that was just mentioned, [inaudible] something that I understand because we are having someone here who speaks a different language, so I think we should have a different focus on the region. We have problems with the

---

letter ñ in Spanish, with accents and all of this is considered IDNs in multilingualism. I think we as a region—

INTEPRETER: We apologize. The sound is cutting out.

RICARDO HOLMQUIST: So none of these languages is considered a language in ICANN so we need to make a [inaudible] the languages we already have. This is associated to free software community. People [inaudible] that they need to change the fields that accent ñ letters, that accept accents, because emails may be coming in a different script. So I think there's a lot of open source software in ALSes that could [inaudible] this. That is, training people to develop software in the region and understand that the world is not what it was for quite some time. So we'll try and see if we can have a domain with the letter ñ or with an accent in the region.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Ricardo. That was very good input. I think Carlos Leal wants to take the floor, and Ricardo please drop your hand.

CARLOS LEAL SABALLOS: My colleagues have said two interesting things. I am a person who is very much in favor of open source software, and in Central America – I live in Nicaragua. So I think we could focus our efforts. I am in the center of Central America and I think we could focus our efforts to move both things. Actually, a colleague of ours wanted to go to the [inaudible] in

---

Mexico and she could not go. And I think we could think of this as a possibility. So I am open and we can think of what we can do in the region.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you very much, Carlos. Let's continue working. Who can take the idea and issues? I am very concerned that we don't really have this. And with respect to the letter ñ, that's true. Emails and domains can be written with the letter ñ but it's an issue in other countries. I think it's important, the same as [inaudible] in Brazil – that's also used a lot in [inaudible] and trying to work with open source software. I am also another person coming from that community. It really is a big challenge.

Let's have a look at our outstanding issues. I'm having a look now. It's the report on the elections. I don't really know who participates and who does not, but maybe we can check who was in the governance group and who was not, and maybe I can send an email to the list. We need to have this very clear. I can't really remember if this happened on Thursday or Friday but we did have a Governance Working Group meeting. There were four people from the Caribbean and other people from the region who were there as well. So we agreed that the electoral process can be conducted very quickly. There is a call for the process now. We have agreed who can run for each election and what will be the primary rotation principles so that then we can start working on the rules of procedure.

There has been some kind of mistake in the middle of the discussion we had. I am still waiting for a response from Carlton. I think we held the

---

meeting last Friday and we sent an email to the staff and to Harold asking this. There was a proposal from the Caribbean that next election the rotation system would be chair and secretary both Harold and myself could run and the chair-elect would need in principle to come from the [Indian] region. The secretary-elect candidate should come from Central America. The ALAC member ... I'm sorry. The NomCom candidate should come from the Caribbean and then the ALAC member would need to come from the Mercosur area, excluding Argentina.

With this logic, that seems sensible. There is something that wasn't very clear there and this was something that the staff told me and comes in contradiction with the rules of procedure that [inaudible]. Group B is the one that is chairing. And so with this logic, because it is circular, after D comes A, which is the first letter and D is the last one. D, Mercosur and A is Central America and not the [Indian] region.

So in this discussion, this is where we ask the Caribbean what is it that they meant. We're not going to discuss whether this is A or B, if we can order these somehow and start with it. But if their intent was to have the same logic as the logic we see in the operating principles, then those principles say A is Central America, B is the [Indian] region, C is the Caribbean, and D is the Mercosur region. In this logic, we would be – that is, the chair-elect would need to come from Central America. When we see this, we are having a look at a different scenario. I think Silvia has just written it properly.

So because it is a different scenario from what the Caribbean proposed and we didn't really realize what is it that they wanted to say. Maybe they explained it quickly and they wanted to use the operating

---

principles. So we would kindly ask them to review this and come back to us. We're waiting. Carlton has not replied yet. I think there's a copy to Jacqueline but none of them has replied.

So we are in this scenario right now. I will [insist] today to see if he can reply to this email. It's a very short and simple email. So we would like to call election. This means that what comes next is a strategy to review elections quickly, call for elections, and to do this even before Marrakech. I think we can do this without waiting until July to do it. The ALAC has given us that framework, that [inaudible]. I think we can start ALS [inaudible]. So the only thing we're waiting for now is the Caribbean to issue their opinion, and when they do, we will start.

I think Humberto ... Am I forgetting something, Humberto? You now have the floor. I don't know whether Humberto is still on the call. I think he is not. Is someone trying to take the floor?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Sergio, if you'll allow me. We had this point that you have described that we have these letters changed.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Harold, wait. Silvia is taking the floor.

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Sorry, it's not Harold. It's Humberto.

---

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Humberto, can you bear with me? Because I'm trying to make a comment related to what Sergio has just said. So the recommendation would be to keep the same domain letter, the same letters to identify the area, and then in the meeting I recall that they said that in the Caribbean they were going to have an automatic reelection of chair and secretary, so they weren't going to participate in the election. So that is something that is still outstanding, that has to be defined.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Yes, Silvia. I forgot about that. The Caribbean said that we should automatically go into a two-term mandate without participating in the elections. I thought that was not ethical or transparent. So I think we need to run [in the] elections. The only thing that was in the discussion for that was that we should participate on an equal footing. We didn't want to have any [inaudible]. If there's somebody else who wanted to run for these positions from the [Indian] region and from the Mercosur region, they could do so and we would have also to compete at the sub-regional level. But we didn't want to hold these positions without going through the elections process, so we send that in writing, in an email, asking whether they agreed that we should participate also in that elections process. And if the regions think that we are performing well, they should vote for us, and if they don't think so, then they could vote for another candidate. We didn't want to be able to hold a position just because we are already in these positions now. Humberto, now you have the floor.



---

HUMBERTO CARRASCO: Just a brief comment. I just want to let the other colleagues in the region know, those who have not been in the last meeting, that actually the discussions with the Caribbean have become stagnant and the suggestion for having the reelections, actually the Caribbean colleagues said that there was no need for reelections to take place. I agree with Sergio but the Caribbean was willing to accept that, except for [Dev]. So the rest of the colleagues from the Caribbean supported this idea but the only one who [abstained] was [Dev]. [Dev] still kept to his proposal. So this is just to update you on what happened in the last meeting.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you. Yes. That is clear, if that was the case. I don't know if you require any clarification on what happened. You can raise your hand and we can give you an explanation. I don't see any hands, so we will move on to the next item on the agenda.

Now we need to talk about FY20. Here we have a big challenge. We discussed this issue with Harold several times. In fact, by mistake and also due to our lack of experience, when we put together the FY19 plan, we included what we were planning to do in FY20 and then we had to revisit that and change that. But as part of our mission, we were thinking about perhaps participating in the IGFs because they can be important but not so much that – and thank you, Silvia, for posting or displaying here FY19, that plan and that strategy here on the screen. I think that what is most important is to build on the experience of the [inaudible] School of Internet Governance 2019. There are 20 countries that still are unable to add more participants in the region. We have Cuba, Guatemala, and the Dominican Republic who are going to apply.

---

There is also a Mexican organization that is going to apply and there is an organization from El Salvador that is going to submit its application and Bolivia once again. So there are several organizations that are in the process of submitting their applications and some of those countries are already included in our region. Others are not.

Based on my experience and based on what Lilian has just said and what Harold and Humberto can bring to the table, Harold can tell you how hard he had to work in order to answer all the queries presented by all those candidates that today are already of service. It is an extraordinary forum to add volunteers, so I think that we need to focus on the School of Internet Governance. I think that we need to send people from our [lines] to participate there and I think that we need to give them the right financial support through the CROP program. It is a four-day, perhaps four-day support. This is a seven-day experience or perhaps we can get just the accommodation and meals paid for and ICANN can provide a ticket so more people from our region will be able to participate there.

We put forward this proposal of establishing an MoU between LACRALO and the School of Internet Governance in order to also involve a speaker in one or several of the panels that take place over the course of the week because we believe that would allow us to disseminate our message across that group of participants in a very strong way. So I think that we need to pursue that path.

At the same time, we need to work more with the GSE on the road shows. We have some preliminary agreement with the people from Guatemala to have a road show over there. So I think some information

---

will be announced next week. So there we see a bigger possibility for increasing our participation.

So I think that we need to set our agenda around these activities, so I'm going to ask Harold to try to finalize the FY20 plan tomorrow and post it already. We have been working slowly. But I'm going to give the floor now to Silvia. She is asking for the floor. Go ahead, Silvia.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Thank you, Sergio. I just wanted to review with you the terms for the CROP program. I apologize but there is a big noise. There is some rock-and-roll playing in the background.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I don't know who is listening to rock-and-roll now.

LILIAN IVETTE DE LUQUE: Oh, that was very nice music.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Go ahead, Silvia. Silvia, are you there?

SILVIA VIVANCO: Can you hear me?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, go ahead.

SILVIA VIVANCO:

I sent an email to Juan Manuel Rojas who was the liaison with the CROP program. So Sergio, if you are going to choose somebody else for Fiscal Year 20, Juan Manuel is part of the [NCUC] and he sent us an update from May the 20 to the 31<sup>st</sup> – that is the period for your internal discussions. May 27<sup>th</sup> to June 10<sup>th</sup>, that would be the period for having discussions with Rodrigo de la Parra and ourselves, the [staff]. And June 17<sup>th</sup> would be the date for Rodrigo de la Parra to approve the FY20 budget. So please bear in mind those dates when you work. Internally, you would have up to June the 10<sup>th</sup>. That would be all.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

Thank you, Silvia. I'm going to ask Harold to send us updates. Or Silvia, if you can do that, can you please provide [us with those] dates in order to have them clear in mind? But let me also say that a month ago, approximately, I talked with Juan Manuel about the CROP program and we talked about having some changes there. To be honest with you, we still don't know who would take advantage of that. I don't want to put so many responsibilities on one single person. I'm trying to spread the responsibility across several people, but I'm looking at the agenda to consider who could be the next person who would serve as a liaison in our region with that program but I will have to make some decisions soon and communicate with that person in order to have that appointment.

In fact, there was a presentation for a road show. Carlos with the IEEE, they put together a road show in Nicaragua a month ago and it was a

---

great success. And then in the region, we also organized a road show for the Dominican Republic and I think that we don't have the possibility now of having our activities [inaudible]. I think that we don't have enough time to make all the necessary submissions because this was done out of the schedule and out of the free CROP assistance that we had or the [inaudible] we missed one. So we should avoid this in the future.

And one more comment. [With Humberto] we have a very nice activity in an institute in Mexico by invitation from Leon Sanchez that has enabled us to be part of a panel where we have ISOC, [inaudible] and both of us and we had a great exchange with the end user community there. We had students of that institute there. But at the same time, with Humberto, we worked very well. We teamed up very effectively. We complemented each other. We felt very comfortable working there. It was like being in a lounge or in a living room just having a conversation rather than a formal event. I wanted to let you know about this experience. I forgot last time to tell you about this.

So let's move onto the last item on our agenda for today, the AGM for LACRALO. The General Assembly. We are dealing with a lot of nice people. Our last General Assembly happened in 2014 in London. We haven't had a General Assembly for five years. There were some meetings where we had the attendance of the [five members] of the region. Then people traveling to those meetings, those were the mediation meetings. That was the kind of meeting that LACRALO had. But the truth is we need to have an assembly. We need to submit a proposal and there are two possibilities. Tomorrow or tonight with Harold we will be sending out to Rodrigo de la Parra a certain number of

---

people who could be holding this assembly. Actually, first we need to have an idea of the metrics to see how the metrics will turn out to be in our general assembly. There are 58 or 59 ALSes. I can't remember now but many of these ALSes are not operational. They are not only not operated in LACRALO but they are not operating in other structures or any other LAC working groups either, so we need to [inaudible] that.

Then we also need to see what the metrics indicate, whether they would be travel or not, and then to have a ballpark figure or some estimate to see how many people could participate in our assembly. And then with incorporation of this new organization, perhaps it would be important to have a face-to-face meeting for those organizations. That is something that we will have to decide here. There are some [inaudible] organizations that are not planning to travel but there are organizations that are not participating anywhere but whenever there is a trip, they involve for that. That is the case with ATLAS III but perhaps we can make it more attractive for the new entrants, the new organizations.

So I think we have several alternatives. There are many alternatives but let me explain two. One, at the ICANN meeting in Cancun, we have one opportunity there to give the possibility to the members of the region to hold a face-to-face meeting there, so I think that would be a gratifying as well as enriching experience for them.

The other option that I envisage is the LACNIC activities. So please bear with me for five minutes more. Can we ask the interpreters if they can stay for five minutes more?

---

I spoke with Oscar Robles and with Rodrigo de la Parra. Oscar Robles asked me to go over this because he had no idea. He didn't know that he would have to put some money for LACRALO. But at the same time, I think that Rodrigo can be serving as a mediator. He can say that ICANN will take care of part of the responsibility and then others will take care of the remaining portion. So I think that we can have that assembly in this context.

I want to be clear on this before giving the floor to Carlos Raul. The LACNIC event could take place in Colombia. I'm assuming, but this is an assumption, that could happen in Cartagena but Oscar Robles didn't say. Go ahead, Carlos.

CARLOS GUTIERREZ:

Irrespective of where the meeting will be held, I think the most important thing is the objective is to approve the new bylaws. I hope this will be included. I don't see any other reason or any other sense that would be more important than approving the bylaws. We have proposed to have elections before the bylaws but we hope this will not delay the bylaws.

An ICANN meeting in Latin America would be very appropriate to have this General Assembly. We need to ensure that the ALSes are active and a very nice [inaudible] would be a mediation process closure. That is, getting to Cancun with a new leadership group that we know will be in the next four years with a list of active ALSes. So we need to approve the bylaws. If we can do that, it would be excellent. It would be the best of all worlds and hope this will [actually work]. Thank you.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Carlos Raul. I agree with you. But let us remember that maybe we can postpone the vote until March in Cancun or whenever that we have these rules of procedure for [inaudible] commitment. [inaudible] all the activities for those [inaudible] should be ready, all the activities for the region. So this is our big, big concern that everything has to be in place. So we hopefully will be there working.

I hope I haven't missed anything, have I? Have I skipped anything? I think we have covered all our issues.

So I've informed you everything I had to inform you in this meeting and I now would like you to say yes or no. Use the yes or no function in the chatroom. Please then say yes or no to the FY20 and the School of Governance of the [South] because if you give me a green light, then I can add this as a priority for our FY20. So that's an issue. If you can say whether you agree with me – Carlos says he does not, Harold says he does. Carlos, do you have another proposal other than the School of Governance. Carlos Raul?

CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ: Yes. I honestly believe the decision is a bit [hasty] without considering other options. We have the IGF that will be held in Europe and I think this is an issue to be discussed.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I think there are no [inaudible].



CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ: The fact that there is [many different] means we need to send it, use it as a last resort. I only suggest that we have [inaudible] discussion.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I will review our time. Otherwise, we can just discuss it on our mailing list. I'm not sure whether we do have a mailing list. We could start working on that leadership mailing list and then work on all the possibilities. We need to be open to all the possibilities.

Now, the funds issue is actually very [restrictive]. We cannot spend this on IGF or anything associated to whatever happens abroad. I think we need to focus on the region.

CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ: No, it's not that. We have no English channel. There is no Caribbean member in this channel.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: This is being recorded and interpreted into English.

CARLOS RAUL GUTIERREZ: Yes but they are not present. I think we need to be more inclusive when we discuss money.

---

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: I agree but we can discuss it on the mailing list, the internal leadership mailing list. If we do this, if we open this possibility, then we can take a few days and I agree with you, we need to be very creative and put things on the table.

Then one other issue, just to start wrapping up, I think [Carlton] will travel to a road show in the [Bahamas] and then [inaudible]. So Silvia, you now have the floor.

SILVIA VIVANCO: There is still no mailing list for the leadership group, and if you wish, I can [create] one.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Yes, I would like to have one.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Okay, so we're going to ask for that.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: So, in principle, I will ask that Marcelo Telez be included until we substitute him for another person, and also Alberto. Alberto is the vice chair within the ALAC working group, so I have offered Alberto Soto to be involved in this meeting. But I would first like to discuss this with [inaudible]. If you can please say yes or no in a loud voice, then I will know. If you believe that chair or vice chair within the alas can participate in the leadership group. This is just to have an idea of

---

whether we can include this or not and see if we can [add this item]. I think Marita is also here, so we will have two people then. So I am asking you to have your approval to [inaudible] on this. Okay, so there is no yes or no, so we're going to leave this for the mailing list.

We are at the top of the hour. It seems this time is okay for all of you. We can then keep the time for Mondays at 15:00 UTC for our extended leadership meeting [inaudible]. So if you agree, I'm going to add this as well.

So, for the record, the fourth Monday of each month, Silvia, we will have an extended leadership meeting unless you want to change it for the second Monday. Please say yes or no about this. So if we keep the second, then on the third we can prepare the LACRALO meeting and so we would have the meeting for the region already prepared. If you agree to have the second Monday of each month, then we would keep it for the second Monday. Do you agree? There are two votes. I have the third vote. Harold has the fourth vote. Carlos Leal. And Ricardo. Do you agree with this time?

RICARDO HOLMQUIST:

That's perfect to me and I agree with having it the second Monday each month.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:

The only person that has to reply is Humberto. So, Silvia, we will have this then on the second Monday of each month. You will need to call everybody for the extended leadership meeting. This will be changed by

---

the board but for the time being, we will continue having extended leadership.

So, good afternoon, good morning, and good evening to all of you. I hope to see you soon. This call is now adjourned. Thank you.

YESIM NAZLAR:

Thank you, all. This meeting is now ended. Have a lovely rest of the day.  
Bye-bye!

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]