

---

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Good morning, good afternoon, and good evening to everyone. Welcome to the At-Large Regional Leadership call on Thursday, the 23<sup>rd</sup> of May, 2019, at 16:00 UTC.

On the call today on the English channel, we have Mohamed El Bashir, Olivier Crepin-Leblond, Glenn McKnight, Haroun Mahamat Cherif, and Eduardo Diaz.

On the Spanish channel, we have Sergio Salinas Porto and Harold Arcos.

From staff, we have Heidi Ullrich, Silvia Vivanco, Gisella Gruber, and myself, Claudia Ruiz, on call management.

Before we begin, I would like to remind everyone to please state their name before speaking for the transcription purposes and all the interpreters can identify you on the other language channel. Our interpreters for today are Paula and Claudia.

With this, I turn it over to you, Mohamed. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you very much, Claudia. We can proceed to our agenda item, starting with the review of the action items. Basically, most of the action items have been completed. There is a few other stuff. Heidi needs to edit the discretionary form to include the formal RALO leadership approval on the request. I'm not sure, Heidi. Has this been completed, or ...

Heidi, are you on the call?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

CLAUDIA RUIZ: Yes, she is. Heidi, if you're speaking, you're on mute.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Can you hear me now?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, we can.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay, sorry. You have to unmute yourself on Zoom as well as your phone. I'm sorry about that. So that is a work in progress. Evin has looked into that. We could either stick with the Word doc form or we could have more advanced wiki space or a Google form set up. So that's something you need to think about. I'm still updating the criteria, which we're going to go through even on the action items or on the items on that point later in the meeting. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Heidi. I think in the last meeting we almost agreed that we need the form to be similar to the CROP form, which is based on [inaudible] approval [inaudible]. I think we can wait, unless I'm just [informally] speaking from AFRALO's point of view. I'm happy to hear everyone, just to have something that is more interactive and more – we can see the process clearly and it's not just the Word document [in a

---

sense]. So we're happy to wait for that to be completed so we can have a form that's similar to the CROP one.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. If you could make that action item. I've informed Evin of that request. Thank you.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes. One idea, Heidi, is that we can create a draft work form and see whether it fits the purpose. Thank you. I will take that action item.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. The next item is also related to the form. It's basically removing the [inaudible] to include reasonable [expenses in the form. I guess that] will follow as well.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. That's on the agenda later on. We can just confirm that and we'll update the criteria. We also talked about what the requirements are for this next fiscal year, which we'll take about under the ABR section. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. There's two action items on our side, the RALO Chairs'. The first one is that we need to coordinate with our RIRs to identify possible dates and locations for our regional assemblies. I can start by saying for AFRALO we did that and we communicated to staff [inaudible]. I think

---

we can announce it now. We're considering the African Internet Summit in 2021. That will be between May and June. We don't have a location, and that's the challenge that'll be for us and for everyone else because usually those venues are announced maybe six months before the event date. I'm not sure if other colleagues have any updates about this action item.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Mohamed, there's a long agenda item on that item because I'm seeing that we're going to have a lot to talk about, by the way, in terms of timing. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. [inaudible]. Also there's another action item related to the [G8], also schedule and dates. Then we're supposed to provide the regional leadership meeting agenda by May 17<sup>th</sup>. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to lead on that, but maybe we can add it as Any Other Business on this call. So we can try to agree on how we could proceed on that.

Yes, Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you. That's on the agenda as well, and we have a draft for you to look at. I think we're going to actually be covering all these action items during the call today. Thank you.

---

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. I'm already on the agenda, but there's no link to details about this one. So let's—

HEIDI ULLRICH: [inaudible]

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. I will refresh the page and take [a look]. Let's proceed to the next item, which is the financial year 2020 additional budget request. There's a PDF document. If you are on the audio and not able to see it, we basically have the list of approved requests and rejected or denied requests.

Heidi, I'll give you the lead on this.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I wanted to first draw your attention to the pages that I've created. Could you put that in the chat? Could you display that, please, Claudia? I just created this page. Not necessarily this page. There's a link under this item called Fiscal Year '20 At-Large Implementation.

Thank you. That is it there. You'll see that she put it into the chat, and I'm sure she'll be displaying that – oh, no. That's not it. Hang on. This is a special one for At-Large. Let me go ahead and put this one in. What she's put into the link is a full decision. Please do take a look at that. That will go into more details about what all the other groups received, as well as some of the ALAC and At-Large decisions that were not

---

expected and some of the follow up-there. We'll talk about that during this call as well.

This is the At-Large page. If you could put that link in please and display that one. This lists all of the ALAC – well, it turns out there's only two. So, Claudia, if you could please that [inaudible] I've just put in there. ALAC/At-Large have submitted about four or five. Two were approved. The first one is the access for RALOs for funding. That's that RALO discretionary funding. The request was for \$30,000 but \$20,000 was approved. That is the same amount as this past or this current year.

Some of the points that I'd like to highlight here is that, first, they will require a publication in the central publicly-accessible online location. That's basically the same wiki page that we've been using for the last several years that lists all of the requests, whether they were approved or not, and then the funding that is spent and the funding that is remaining for each of the RALOs.

They also now have another requirement that there's a report due at the end of fiscal year '20 that will need to be prepared and sent to Finance that highlights or explains how the funding was used and some of the results that came from that. So that could be something that we could work on later, next fiscal year, and basically would be, I would think, just a brief summary of some of the points as well as all the reports. You've done very well in submitting all of the reports for each of the items that you've received funding for. So that will be \$4,000 per RALO, as Glenn has pointed out.

---

I'm going to confirm this with Mary Wong, who headed this for the policy team, but I don't see any restrictions about travel across regions. So that does mean that you might – I'm going to confirm that with her – use possibly some of this funding for IGF activities at the main IGF this next year. I would highly suggest that you don't spend all of time. That will not look good in the report. But you might be able to use that.

Then the second request that was approved was the ALAC request for real-time transcription or RTT, up to ten hours of intercessional At-Large teleconferences. The amount estimated there was \$18,000 awarded for that. But there, again, a couple of requirements. One is that this is a pilot, again, that will be used in determining whether RTT should be rolled out to other groups as well and, again, similar to the first item, that there is going to report required at the end of this.

Any questions? Yeah, it's up to ten hours, Glenn, for twelve months. That's why that's coming up to that amount.

Any questions on that so far?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Heidi, so it's ten hours per month for twelve months?

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Per month. Ten hours of RTT per month. For example, that might be some of the RALO calls. That might be, for example, AFRALO and LACRALO. It might be the ALAC calls, which is a two-hour call. So it's ten hours per month for twelve months, so, no, it's definitely not that

---

much. It's not \$1,800 an hour. It's ten hours a month, \$1,800 a year. So that's 120 hours.

Any questions on that?

Okay. I'm not seeing any hands raised, so just really quickly, some of the other requests that were not approved. One was the ALAC request that was from Glenn that was for a policy-writing workshop. Again, that one was not approved, unfortunately. However, there will be some funding available, we believe, in the ATLAS III budget, so Maureen and I the leadership team on the ATLAS will be looking at that. That might be something that is a post-ATLAS III event. We'll be looking into that.

Then, for LACRALO – I'm not sure if there's anyone from LACRALO. Sergio is on the call, and Harold. Thank you. There was a request from LACRALO for some capacity building. That one was unfortunately not approved. However, it does say that we could follow up with Rodrigo de la Parra and see if there's any kind of overlap in terms of what he's preparing to do this next year, that you could have some events related to that. So I would definitely think that it was worth speaking with him if you haven't already on that particular item.

Also, there was another one that was submitted for Armenia for an event there on IDNs. I would suggest that Lianna follow up with the GSE team there to see if that one could be covered by the GSE team.

Thank you so much for that.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you. Any questions for Heidi?



---

Okay. So—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Mohamed, I see Sergio has his hand raised.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes. Sergio, please?

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: What is the activity that was not accepted? Perhaps you could give more details in order to be on the same page. Thank you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Sergio. This is the activity that we [talked about on] that call with Rodrigo. It was the capacity building where there'd be some events at hubs in some of the countries in the ALSes throughout LACRALO and possibly some people coming to an event for capacity building. I don't know if you recall that. I could go ahead and put the link in. Or, Silvia, maybe you could put the link in to that request.

SILVIA VIVANCO: Yes, I will [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Thank you. Sergio, I just put this together – this page – yesterday evening, so I could go ahead and put in some of the ones that were not accepted but did have some follow-up to them. Thank you.

---

Mohamed, Glenn has his hand raised.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Glenn, please go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. I find it so odd that NCUC got their second round of funding for their policy workshop, considering that their first one, which I monitored – I was on their webinars and watched their video of their [whole] session – wasn't earth shattering. And it got another \$55,000. I find it odd that, on one hand, they were reject ours and they accept theirs. Not to say money makes a difference because I'm sure we'll do a pretty good job ourselves, but I just find it inconsistent. That's just my observation.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Glenn. I would suggest that, if you have any questions about any of these additional budget requests, including those that received travel to ICANN meetings and those that didn't, etc., Mary Wong might be able to clarify all of that. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: So, Glenn, we can [inaudible] and then we can give the request to Mary for more details on the reason of rejections.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: [Mohamed?] If you wish, we can invite her to the regional leadership meeting in Marrakech, if you'd like.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I'm sorry, folks. You're not coming too clear. I can't really understand you. Maybe it's my connection. Heidi, would you—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Sorry. Is that better?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, that's much better.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. I'm sorry. I was on speakerphone. So, if you did want to officially have Mary explain some of the results, you might want to consider inviting her to the regional leadership meeting in Marrakech.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Yeah, I wouldn't mind, but, as you said, we are still going to do the policy workshop. So I'm not complaining. Just for the sake of consistency, I just find it odd. That's all.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Glenn. If there is no other raised hands or points to be raised here, we can move to the review of – everyone should agree on the

---

2020 RALO discretionary funding criteria, so Heidi, you can update us about the criteria and the form.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. This item – I know that you had requested a couple of points for me to update, and that includes removing the stipend aspect from the page and putting it in some expenses, some wording related to that.

But I'm also wondering. Mohamed, I believe you had mentioned, or maybe it was Eduardo, that, going forward for fiscal year '20, that, before any request comes to staff, it has to go through the RALOs – RALO leadership or the RALO Chairs, etc. It might be that you wish to see what kind of requests are coming in, to what extent are they feeding into the RALO strategic outreach plan, etc. So, if you could just tell me a little bit more. Or you don't need to do that right now, but just give me a little bit more material to put in there. I'm happy to go ahead and do that.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Eduardo or [inaudible]? I can provide some updates. On the last call, we discussed this, and the agreement was that we needed the form to reflect our RALO approval process. The best example we have is the CROP form, which have multiple layers from us, from the RALOs, to the regional engagement team, to the staff. And we have visibility about the complete process. So the idea is to have the same form updated or to use the same [inaudible] basically. It's not that difficult to include the RALO leadership approval in the form. The form is to be in the wiki so we know what the requests that have been submitted are and we know

---

the status of the approval cycles. So that's what I think has been discussed on the last all.

Eduardo, if you have any addition to that, please feel free.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Are we talking here about how to approve the funding for the discretionary funding?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, correct.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Oh, okay. [inaudible] RALO leadership should look at it. I think it's important that whatever is being used for this is under the strategic plan that we are putting together for CROP. We can use it for this. I believe we do it that way.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Just to make sure that we're all very aware of what we're looking at right now – and this is a RALO request page. I'm going to put that into the chat, and maybe, Claudia, you could display that. So on this page we have the approval text. We also have the RALO request form right now that is in a Word document. We will look into making that something like a Google Doc or something like that.

According to the decision text from the additional budget request, it does say that the only people that will be approving them will be myself

---

– I always work with Silvia – in collaboration with GSE staff from the region. So if you wanted to add any kind of preapproval, I would highly suggest that you [inaudible] that within your RALOs as something that you go through before that RALO request form is sent. That might be that you say, “Look, everyone. It’s only the [Chair] or the Secretariat that can send a RALO request form to staff for review.” But I’m uncomfortable with adding that extra step all the way through the process from the staff side, if that’s clear. So I’d rather have it be something that you do within your region and then maybe you can see, Look, only the Chair can approve or can send the request form to staff.” Would that be okay?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Heidi, a couple of things here. The form itself – in practice, we get requests by mail. We approve it and basically then either the Secretariat or the requester fills out the form. [I think there are a couple] of issues here. The form, first, is not user-friendly because it’s a PDF that we cannot update. We need to print, sign, or click on it and then attach it to an e-mail. So the request simply is two things, two-fold. If we have it in a wiki, that means it’s definitely user-friendly. We can see the approved request. It’s easy as well to look at the remaining funding and all that. And, if it’s already in the wiki, adding a line where someone – let’s say the RALO chair indicated approval for that request; so, before, let’s say, the staff handles that. Basically, in the same wiki form you have the staff approve it. So we know as well that this request has been approved by staff or it’s already in the process because, now, there is no way I can follow up, unless I’m sending e-mails, to know the status of the submitted requests. You got me?

---

So the wiki you have here, but it will be good to have the form in a wiki format or in a fillable format so it makes it easier. You list the approved ones [inaudible] ones that we know it. But it's just to be a user-friendly process that's easier.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Okay. Thank you. We have Fatimata and Eduardo with their hands raised. If you could just keep on scrolling, Claudia, so you can see – yeah. Right there. The RALO requests. Thank you. So, Mohamed, again, we have Fatimata and Eduardo.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Yes, Fatimata, please go ahead.

You might be muted, Fatimata.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Yes, we can hear you. Please go ahead.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Okay. So I was saying that I wanted to add my voice to yours and to Eduardo's about having the RALO leaders, or at least the chairs, vet the applications. Two reasons. One is, for example, when [a report gets]—

---

[HEIDI ULLRICH]: Fatimata, I'm sorry for interrupting. Can you please speak up? The interpreters cannot hear you.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Can you hear me? Is this better?

[HEIDI ULLRICH]: They're saying no. Can you speak up, please? Because, if not, they cannot interpret.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: I don't know—

GLENN MCKNIGHT: No, it's the same.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: It's the same?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Perhaps if you speak closer to the microphone.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: Yeah. Well, I'm [inaudible] on the computer steps, do I don't know what else to do.



---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Oh, that sounds better.

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA: It's better? Okay, good. So I was saying that having the RALO chairs or RALO leaders look at the request would be a way of saying, for example, "This would not go," or "We don't need this," or something like that to validate that request before going to Heidi's team. Maybe, if it's cumbersome for you, Heidi, to have another layer of approval, I think your suggestion for me could work. Let's say, for example, when we nominate someone to be at the NomCom or whatever [inaudible] ALAC – I will [inaudible] the RALO. So, if the request can go through the RALO, I think that would be good because that would show that the RALO [dis-endorses [endorses this?]]. So that's what I wanted to say.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Fatimata. Eduardo?

EDUARDO DIAZ: Thank you. I said what I said. It would be very odd that, if the RALO leadership supports the request and then it doesn't get approved, it's odd to me. If the final approval is with staff, then it should go to staff directly, which would be informed that it's happening. If staff has a question or wants to get some input from the chair or from the leadership of NARALO about this request, then they can consult with us because, if we say, "Yes, this is very good. We approve this," and it goes up and then it doesn't get approved for whatever reasons, for me it

---

would be good. So maybe we better just to leave it the way it is. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Eduardo, that's a really good point. I'm going to ask Mary if she has any objections to just adding that extra layer that, when we get a request, we send it to both the chair and the secretary, as well as the GSE Regional V.P. In this chart that's on the display right now, we'll just add a column that says "Approved by RALO Chair and approved by staff a well." I'll just make a note of that, if that's okay.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yeah. Thank you, Heidi. That will be great.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Can I just raise another point?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yeah, sure.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm going to make an action item, Silvia, that I'm going to contact Mary Wong about this additional layer. What we noticed this past year was two things. One is that, for some RALOs, they use a lot of travel. Again, this is not supposed to be exclusively a travel funding opportunity. It's

---

supposed to be a lot for promotional items, for catering, for ALS readouts, etc. So just do keep that in mind when you do review some of these requests coming in.

Another part of the criteria that I'm going to double-check that we already have in there – if not, I'm going to add it – is that it does need to reflect or meet the requirements of the RALOs strategic outreach plan. So we are seeing that.

Thirdly – this is for some regions – we're seeing a lot of the same people requesting the funding. I know that a lot of RALOs do promote the RALO discretionary funding quite a bit, and it just happened to be that no one else except these people are requesting it. And that's fine. But maybe we somehow need to promote this more. Glenn noted that an infographic on the process would be useful. But maybe you could just start really promoting this throughout your regions on your calls as we head into fiscal year '20. Thank you very much.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Heidi. Fatimata agrees, and I think Glenn has his hand raised. Please, go ahead.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

We have a monthly newsletter. Every month, we mention people to apply for it. It's a challenge because people are not running to the gates to get into the castle there. I wish more people would apply in NARALO to say, "Yeah, we want a piece of that action." But it's a small amount and they're not necessarily doing stuff. So we've done more readouts as

---

a result. I think we've had a pretty good impact using the discretionary funds. But I can't disagree that the funds have been used by a small group of people, but I think you have to look at [results]. That's just my opinion. Thank you.

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Thank you, Glenn. I agree as well. For AFRALO, in almost every call we mention the availability of funds, but, unfortunately, very few people take the [funds and write the details]. We even have events that [were funded].

Heidi, regarding your comment about the requirements, if we have the wiki page, you can have the requirements, let's say, there. The applicants confirm those requirements. So you can have a [inaudible] event, materials. You can list, let's say, the criteria there, and the applicants will [tick] that. So, instead of really using e-mail heavily for this process, you can have that done in a much easier way that avoids even going back to the applicant and [inaudible] or requesting more details. The form itself is designed in a way that you can have the criteria listed there and the applicant can consent to it or agree to it. That makes it easier even in the process for you.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Yeah. Eduardo there are – Mohamed, if I may – criteria that you as RALO leaders have developed, but there are also criteria in two places. In the form, there are a set of questions that every applicant has to respond to about how it fits into ICANN's mission, etc. So we could possibly add a tick box about "Does it reflect your RALO's strategic

---

outreach plan?” That’s something we might want to [have]. However, if we do agree with that, that means we cannot accept any RALO discretionary funding requests until all of you or each of you have approved your fiscal year ’20 RALO outreach plan. So that’s how important that document ...

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Yeah, I agree. Even this will put, let’s say, our responsibility on our side. When we review the applications, we ensure that it’s consistent within the plan. Also, we are approving it based on its value. So it’s a win-win for everyone, I guess.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

So if there’s not further comments here, we can move to the RALO top topics issue. I’ll leave it to everyone to provide us an update regarding their hot topics activities or the work progress.

I can just give an update on AFRALO. We’re going to have about a 40-minute session within the At-Large program to provide an update and awareness to the community or everyone actually there from At-Large or the African participants in ICANN regarding our AFRALO hot topics. We’ll have printed copies of the reports.

So that’s from AFRALO. I’m not sure if Glenn, Eduardo, or Lianna, and Sergio have updates regarding your regions. And Olivier as well.

Eduardo, please.

---

EDUARDO DIAZ:

Unfortunately, we don't have any topics. The [inaudible] are using other RALOs. I don't believe in those. I know Glenn has been working on some of them. We're coming up now with a series of [insight] videos which are more in tune with the current ALAC work.

Now, having said that, I think what ALAC is doing now, which is the work that Jonathan and Joanna are doing of indicating what are the hot current policy topics that are being discussed, is what we have to concentrate on, and that's where we have to volunteer efforts to help ALAC in [reaching] the debate an discussion of the policies at hand because that's more in tune to what we're supposed to be doing because talking about hot topic, about – I'm making this up – cybersecurity or this other stuff? Well, guess what? We're talking about something [inaudible] in ALAC. So if we focus our efforts into something wiser or that might have some interest in the ICANN mission, we're missing the fact that we in the region are supposed to provide into that process for ALAC so they can have different perspectives from different sides of the grove in the conversation and in putting together the final thing of what ALAC is working on right now.

So I think that's the right approach – to take what is coming from ALAC, what is important – and that is what we're planning to do in our regions: focus on those topics and provide input via videos or what-have-you and provide that to ALAC for their own use. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Glenn. I'm not sure if [inaudible] the queue. Do we have some – Sergio, Heidi, Silvia, Olivier?

---

HEIDI ULLRICH:                      Yeah.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:              Okay. Sergio, please? Can you go? Proceed.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO:            Thank you, Mohamed. I'm going to be very brief because, actually I have to agree with everything that Eduardo has said. I have nothing more to add. I think that all the regions have to look for the same goal, to focus on these strategic topics that the ALAC is going to address, and then bring the vision of each of the regions on those topics and try to convey what the end users think. So I have nothing more to add to what Eduardo has just said. He has said what I was planning to say. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:              Thank you, Sergio. Heidi, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH:                      Did you call on me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:              Yes, you have a raised hand.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. Olivier, do you want to go first? Then I'll just add. I think you can add the EURALO level [inaudible].

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Please, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Mohamed. I was supposed to send you the list of RALO hot topics from EURALO. It's complete. I will have to do that maybe tomorrow or later on today –probably likely to be tomorrow – and complete the table for this. That's all. Thanks.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Olivier, for that update on EURALO's hot topics. Heidi, please?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, Mohamed. I'm hearing a lot from Eduardo and Sergio. I heard the same in Kobe. That's why that action item from Kobe was set, that Joanna and Jonathan were going to start working on an ALAC hot policy topics. The good news is that they have. The plan is for those RALOs that have not moved that much on some of these hot RALO topics, because they either haven't gotten around to it or because they want to work with the ALAC level first – that's going to happen. So, in Marrakech, there's going to be a discussion of the draft list from the ALAC. There'll be a working lunch on Monday, where everyone can look around and add their comments to that draft list. Then, through the



---

summer, Joanna and Jonathan will be coming onto the RALO monthly calls and discussing the ALAC draft hot policy topics and asking the RALOs to start thinking about whether any of those fit their key priority issue areas and then, as Sergio mentioned, start thinking about how those issues impact potentially end users in their regions. Then that'll be developed further through September and then finalized and presented or distributed during ATLAS III.

So, Mohamed, as your AFRALO is going to be presenting theirs in Marrakech, that might be something that some of the RALO leaders may wish to come to as well. There's a session on Tuesday that will be highlighting that. Perhaps, Mohamed, you can be source of information on how AFRALO formulates and develops their amazing document. Thank you so much.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Heidi. Glenn first and then Eduardo. Sorry, Silvia, you have something to say? You have a raised hand. Sorry, Glenn. Silvia [at this point].

SILVIA VIVANCO:

Yes. I just wanted to clarify one point with Eduardo on [inaudible] hot topics. These are actually the NARALO ones that the ones are NARALO identified back in 2017 after we brainstormed [inaudible] in the general assembly. Some of them did not quite click with ICANN's remit, so that's why I think there was a little bit of concern that they don't reflect the current hot topics.

---

But I was wondering. So at this point, NARALO is not planning to [inaudible] hot topics and define new hot topics, from what I hear from Eduardo. Correct? I just wanted to clarify that. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Glenn, please.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Great. Thank you. Sorry, it took me a minute to unmute. Yeah, I completed the document based on what historical information was hot topics, but as Eduardo pointed out in the chat, it's not 2017. We have an example where people really wanted to talk about net neutrality. We had a split vote in NARALO saying, "Yeah, yeah. It's a hot topic." It is a hot topic, but not based on our ICANN remit. So many of the topics are interesting stuff, but they're not current policy issues that we want our community to comment on. So I completed the document and I did an assessment with Joanna across the board, but many of these topics are not that applicable.

So the slide that I wanted Claudia to show is just the list of the topics that were discussed earlier this week on the ALAC call. That's not the slide – yeah, there it is. You can see that this is current topics. What we decided to do, Eduardo and I, is make a special effort to reach out to members in our community to try to explain current topics so that they have a better understanding. We've done three already on our NARALO [events site]. You can see on this list that we'll drill down tighter on these.

---

So, to answer your questions, Silvia, I think we'll try to focus on what are current topics are that – and they should be aligned with Joanna and Jon are doing so that [your] community could really understand, rather than being really scattered across the globe on these topics, they would actually harmonize with what everyone is doing.

I'll turn over to Eduardo, if I may, to see if he may have a different opinion. Just because we're Chair and Secretariat, we don't always agree. So I'll turn over it to Eduardo.

EDUARDO DIAZ: [inaudible] What is it you want me to say? I'm not sure.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Eduardo, I just wanted your opinion on the hot topics versus current topics issues because you expressed an opinion that it's not relevant for us. So I'm just saying that we're trying to harmonize what issues we need to help our community understand.

EDUARDO DIAZ: Well, I don't really have anything to say, Glenn, to this now. Nothing comes to my mind.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Heidi, please.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Glenn, absolutely, and Eduardo as well. Just because AFRALO produced a hard copy, a document, does not mean that you need to do that. You could produce videos. You can update them. As issues come to take the priority, it's totally recognized ... sorry, can you hear me?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yes, we can hear you.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Okay. Sorry. So we all recognize that policy priorities are dynamic, that they change, so you could either do videos, you could do a wiki page, etc. We need to have something where you could use this for your members to understand what are the key policy issues at any particular time while they're doing outreach. Again, they're to be used for engagement for newer ALS members or individual members to understand what exactly At-Large, either the ALAC or some of the RALOs, are doing. So think about some of the key issue areas in your particular region. NARALO, you might wish to include a North American indigenous issue. Reach out to [Lars] for that. Sergio, you might wish to have something with .amazon. I know that's moving along. I know that's a key area for you. So bring in that regional aspect. I think that would be useful as well. thank you very much.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you, Heidi. Also, just to reflect some of our AFRALO experience, initially, when the working group was deciding if the topics were

---

---

relevant or not, they were looking to ICANN's strategic document of the regional African strategy as well. So there were a couple things that were looked at. This is how we eliminated topics that are not relevant.

I think the next step for us would be revisiting the topics because we did a couple of webinars. By the way, identifying the topic itself is not the goal. The goal is determining what to do to raise awareness around those topics. That's what you can do. It doesn't have to be a document if you have that list and then you agree that those are the action items we're going to do, actively participate in policy, or have awareness webinars or do outreach or attend regional meetings [inaudible] to discuss [inaudible]. I think it's really about what you're going to address the topics that have interest in your region. So that's from AFRALO's experience so far.

So there's no—

HEIDI ULLRICH: Mohamed, we have Glenn and myself.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Glenn, please, go ahead. Thank you.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. Old hand.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay. Heidi?

HEIDI ULLRICH: Mohamed, just very quickly on that point. Joanna, who is writing the ALAC in helping to prepare the ALAC hot policy topics, is also a Co-Chair of the Capacity Building Working Group. So we already discussed the fact that it might be useful to have webinars or deeper materials on these items for that group to prepare and to distribute to the RALOs. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: That would be great. That will be definitely useful. If we can move ahead to the RALOs general assembly schedules, Heidi, you can give us an update, and then we can provide [inaudible].

HEIDI ULLRICH: So this is your schedule. We have been chasing you. Thank you for putting in some of the dates. Claudia, are you able to post that link? It's the schedule that everyone is putting in.

Sweet. A few minutes. Okay, thank you. You can scroll down to where that list is. Yeah, perfect. Thank you. So we're seeing more and more activities here. Mohamed, you had mentioned – didn't quite get the AFRINIC? Or what was [of interest again]?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: The African Internet Summit. I'm already updating the page now.

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: Ah, yes. The AIS. That's the AIS, right?

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: [inaudible] 21. Exactly, yes. Between [inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: And LACRALO? I think, Sergio, you are likely to have [inaudible]. As we discussed on e-mail yesterday, it would likely be the 2.21 March 21 Cancun meeting because there are no funds available in fiscal year '20.

Let me just go through these quickly and then we'll highlight some of the concerns here, the challenges. AFRALO, we just heard, is going to be fiscal year '21 at the AIS. For APRALO it's around July 22 – that's fiscal year '22 – at the AP (Asia-Pacific) Regional IGF. EURALO has some choices here: fiscal year '21 or '22 at EURODIG, June 2020 or 2021. So we're seeing a good choice of related Internet governance meetings here. That's great. For LACRALO, again – Sergio, please correct me if I'm wrong – we're looking at I think fiscal year '21, March, at the ICANN meeting in Cancun. Then NARALO is looking at fiscal year '21, October, at ICANN Seattle.

So what we're seeing is that we're seeing some frontloading going on here. Again, in the five-year general assembly cycle, you have those five years – so fiscal year '21 through '24 – and normally it's one or two general assemblies per fiscal year. The larger RALOs – for example, LACRALO is a big RALO; AFRALO, APRALO; all very large groups. Normally what we've seen is that, when those groups, it's going to be one general assembly per year while, when the other two – EURALO

---

and NARALO – hold theirs, they’re smaller so they can allow for two per year. So you’re seeing our dilemma: we’re having frontloading; several in fiscal year ’21, including some of the big ones, and then some in ’22. But we’re not seeing any in fiscal year ’23 and fiscal year ’24.

So that’s where we are. We are going to need to make sure that they are a few that are in fiscal year ’23 and fiscal year ’24. Mohamed, over to you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you. We can hear from Sergio. Sergio, please go ahead.

SERGIO SALINAS PORTO: Thank you, Mohamed. I wanted to tell you a little bit that Heidi’s correct when she mentioned those dates, but I would also like to explain to you the current situation in LACRALO. Many general assemblies have taken place since London. The fact is that, in two fiscal years, for reasons that are well-known to you, we didn’t have those assemblies. We did have a group of people in the region who got together because of the mediation process. So the assembly as such with the 69 organizations that are connected to LACRALO has not taken place since London.

We have had two activities in two different years when we met in order to bridge some gaps and to solve the [inaudible] that we had in the region. So far, we have talked with their RIR. We took advantage of their activity that was held in Mexico. Humberto, Glenn, and I were there. I had a chance to talk to Oscar Robles from LACNIC, and I spoke about the possibility of having an assembly. I also talked with Rodrigo de la Parra



---

to see if we could join some efforts and find some funding to have this assembly in 2021 in Cancun or Columbia when the RIR holds its annual meeting.

Right now at this moment, we are at this historical point in time in the region. We are going to have an extended leadership meeting – the ALAC members, the Chairs, the Secretariats, and the working groups of the region – in order to determine the path forward and how we are going to come up with a proposal for the RIRs and for ICANN. So probably at that time we will have some more certainty. Our intention is to hold the assembly in 2021 because we understand that we haven't had an assembly for five years, so in the region we need to have an assembly in order to discuss some issue face-to-face. If you were to ask me what would be the best option, I would say that the ICANN activities should be the context where we can have these assemblies so that we can have the opportunity to participate also through the ICANN experience and give everybody that possibility.

That will be all. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Sergio. I [inaudible] that the AGMs need to be spread until 2024. My question would be, which – because as well as AFRALO, we didn't have any AGM, I guess, for the last five years – so can—

HEIDI ULLRICH:

You had one in Johannesburg a few years ago.

---

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Johannesburg was 2012? But a couple of years ago.

HEIDI ULLRICH: You had 2017. Two years ago.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Two years ago. Okay. So we will be flexible to move it ahead because that's a shorter timeframe, but for RALOs, they didn't have it for five years, and there's need maybe to have their AGM earlier. So, if we can redistribute ourselves and [to] help you, I think that could be considered.[inaudible]

HEIDI ULLRICH: Yes. I've just sent some quick scheduling here. This is a just a proposal. We had the last face-to-face ... We'll just quickly go through. AFRALO had it in Johannesburg in June 2017. APRALO had it in – so that was one fiscal year. The next fiscal year, which was October 2017, was APRALO in Abu Dhabi. The last one face-to-face EURALO general assembly was in Dublin. That was about four years ago, so they're up pretty quickly. LACRALO – I hear you, Sergio, that the last face-to-face for the entire group was in June 2014. However, again, you did have those two meetings in 2017/2018. NARALO had their last face-to-face in April 2017. That was in New Orleans. That was a shorter one at the ARIN meeting. So I do note that we did have AFRALO and NARALO the same fiscal year, so that's something to keep in mind.

However, just some thoughts. It might be that we could have LACRALO hold their general assembly in fiscal year '21 in March at the Cancun

---

meeting. Again, that would be not all of the meeting. There would be a shorter version of that. Then, in fiscal year '22, EURALO at their EURODIG, and NARALO – I can take a look if the Meetings Team knows where the ICANN meetings will be in 2022. Then, in fiscal year '23, APRALO, and then – again, this could be switched – APRALO/AFRALO in fiscal year '23 and '24. So just some thought for further discussion there. Thank you.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Okay. If no one has really got anything, I can see this for AFRALO. I think we are open to rescheduling that. I think maybe the others need some time to get back to you with their feedback. That could be an action on our side. If the list of the AGM dates that you already shared now could be shared by e-mail to the RALO leaders, that would be useful [inaudible]. If they're considering shifting their AGMs, that could be done. If that could be an action item on our side, that would be great.

Okay. So we have it now in chat.

HEIDI ULLRICH:

Thank you for your flexibility, Mohamed. I was reach out to our Meetings Team and find out where some of those meetings are, particularly for NARALO. However, for AFRALO and APRALO, I note that you, AFRALO, and APRALO are intending to hold them at non-ICANN meetings. So those would be something that I'm assuming you can continue hold at the AIS for AFRALO and the other events in APRALO. Thank you.

---

]MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Yeah. Thank you, Heidi. Going back to the agenda items, we are on [K.] We are on the agenda for the Marrakech meeting. There's a graph. I'm not sure if you can see that, but the graph includes the following: the fund review of the RALO outreach and engagement strategy plans for 2020 and the RALO discretionary funds, planning, and changes of the process – hopefully we can have the process completed because we almost have agreement on what needs to be done – an update on the hot topics and coordination with ALAC hot topics, and the finalizing the RALO general assemblies' dates, '21/'24, and Any Other Business. So this is the draft agenda for our meeting.

If you have any other comments to that, I think staff needs to finalize that because the Marrakech schedule will be published soon. If there is no comments on the agenda item, we can proceed with it.

Okay. I'm hearing no objections and not seeing on chat. Eduardo ... nothing on chat, so, yeah, if we can adopt it, that will be great. The staff can proceed with that.

So in Any Other Business, Glenn, you have an item that you mentioned earlier. I'll give you the floor now. Glenn?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sure. Thank you, Mohamed. It's Glenn for the record. On our social media call earlier this week, we talked about summarized notes at our meetings. I started experimenting with that at our last Kobe meeting. It was informal and it's based on my experience – Maureen has had the

---

same experience before – doing curated notes for [Diplo]. The idea is we want to replicate what we did successfully at our GA in New Orleans, but we also did very good curated notes, which I shared with you earlier in this chat, on the e-book, what we did our NASIG in San Jose. I've created a Google Doc. Each of the sections are documented, and the idea is that a curator would not a very short note. If there's any additional information or link to the slides, especially if the slides could be converted into e-book, the idea is it's not minutes. It's meant to be a summary of the one-hour or two-hour session. So paying attention, accurately trying to get the flavor of the room and the topic. It doesn't have to be much. It could be a page long or less, but the idea is we want to find some volunteers.

Now, if you looked at the e-book that I provided, you can actually see the type of things that it would look like. Maybe I'll share that with you so you can see what I'm envisioning what the final product would look like.

Claudia, I've just provided the link for everybody into the chat. When you click on that, it's a book that we will produce as a result of the collation. It needs some editing obviously because we are looking at people who have better than diction. We'll add the pictures. So you could see in this that this was a wrap-up. This was the example of Day 3 on gender and diversity with Ana Lupe. You can just click on the – yeah, go ahead and click on it. Each speaker is added. You can have hyperlinks to documents, to forms, to surveys. So this is what we actually produced and it was very well-received.

---

So I'm experimenting with this. I'm giving you the head's up that I'm volunteering to do this. This was an action item. I don't know if any staff is on to verify that I'm not drunk. It's not that I'm smoking anything. This is an idea. Let's see if we can get some volunteers to do it. I found that, when I was doing the collaborative notes in Kobe – I did for the first day – no else picked up the pen. It was about 23 people reading my notes but they didn't understand how to do it.

So I'm giving everyone a head's up right now, Mohamed and everyone, that this is the idea. We'll take those notes that the keen reporter will do and anybody else editing. I know that Heidi is an excellent editor, so, if there's mistakes or misspellings or whatever. We'll just add the pictures from this site and stuff so that, at the end of it, we'll have a nice summary.

I know it's a big problem getting people to do reports and end results, so feel free to ask any questions. Back to you, Mohamed.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR:

Thank you, Glenn. That's very useful, really. I'm not sure if there is comments from others.

No? Okay. Thanks, Glenn, for sharing that. We'll note it here, sure. Is there is any other business or any issues to be discussed?

No. I don't see anything on the chat, on Zoom, so thank you, everyone, for the call. It's been productive. Have a good night. See you hopefully soon. I think we have a call before Marrakech? Yeah. [inaudible]

---

HEIDI ULLRICH: I'm not sure about that. No, I don't believe so.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Okay.

HEIDI ULLRICH: I think this is it.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: So see you in Marrakech.

HEIDI ULLRICH: So we will see you in 31 days. 31 days until Marrakech. If you have not finished your travel details, please do so immediately, by the way. We'll see you in Marrakech.

MOHAMED EL BASHIR: Thank you very much, everyone. Take care. Bye-bye.

**[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]**